Forum Settings
Forums

why is anime more entertaining then most western cartoons / western shows

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2012 9:02 AM

Jan 2009
90s was the last good decade for u.s cartoons (action and comedy). Since 00s they sucked hard and all of them are targeted to children only. I have a lot of examples to say, like Ben 10, recent cartoon cartoons and others.

About the shows, I don't bother in watch them.
Nov 10, 2012 9:14 AM
Oct 2012
Another_Unknown said:
90s was the last good decade for u.s cartoons (action and comedy). Since 00s they sucked hard and all of them are targeted to children only. I have a lot of examples to say, like Ben 10, recent cartoon cartoons and others.

About the shows, I don't bother in watch them.
^ agree its not that i hate tv shows or cartoon but i jst like anime better. it pretty much goes down to personal tastes
Nov 10, 2012 9:16 AM

Jan 2008
Simply because of the culture (anime isn't really a kiddy thing but one of Japan's entertainment/art forms just like manga) and difference in viewers. Sure, you have anime series aimed at kids, but even those have an extended plot and often carefully thought out characters. Whereas most western cartoons provide more of an easygoing and humoristic setting with slapstick humor most of the time. Anime is more mature and has several genres and a major budget compared to the simplistic cartoons. It's like when you try to explain what the difference is between cartoons and anime to people unfamiliar with it, you just always end up saying; "It's just better!"
Nov 10, 2012 9:20 AM

Oct 2012
The_Butcher said:
NickyCharisma said:
It's the inherent suspension of disbelief that anime gives us. With live action, no matter how engrossed you are in a show it still resembles real life so must take into account some of the rules from real life. As good as CG effects have gotten, they still don't hold a candle to animation. Imagine this, you're in the middle of an episode of your favorite live action series when BAM! A mech driven by a cute girl in skimpy clothing has arrived to deliver three minutes of exposition. While this would be jarring to many Western shows its comonplace in anime. The Western shows need to follow certain rules and guidelines in order to create an audience.

And thats another huge difference. By in large, TV in Japan is created with a specific arc and a limited number of episodes (exceptions do apply). In America, however, the goal is to stay on the air for as long as possible and milk a franchise for all its worth. Thats why it's so rare for a series to "go out on top" (again, generally speaking).

When it comes to Western cartoons, the obvious answer is that there is a differnece in depth (blanket statement). While even the most, how you say "popular", anime might be considered shallow it still contains themes like loyalty, duty, or honor (Naruto). And there are other shows that contain philosophical, psychological, or sociological themes that allow us to challenge our minds while we watch giant robots eff stuff up.

The "Too Long; Didn't Read" version: Because Anime is the perfect combination of diverse elements that allow extravagant and exciting, yet personal, stories to be told that otherwise couldn't in any other medium.

Two of the most intense moments and heartbreaking moments in history I've ever seen or watch. Live action shows can be just as personal, emotional, and enjoyable also . It is a scene from Breaking Bad on top, and 24 on the bottom.

I could post more scenes, but I'd be sitting here for a while.

I guess I wasn't clear in making my point. I was saying that there is an eclectic mix of visceral, cerebral, irreverent, and heartfelt moments in anime, and thats what makes it unique to other entertainment options. Maybe I should have stressed thats what makes it different, not necessarily better. It still comes down to one's own preference. It could be argued that your two moments (I couldn't see them, but 24 is awesome!) are exceptions to the rule, which is what makes them special. Thanks for the response!
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Nov 10, 2012 9:23 AM

Oct 2012
Otaking87 said:
NickyCharisma said:
It's the inherent suspension of disbelief that anime gives us. With live action, no matter how engrossed you are in a show it still resembles real life so must take into account some of the rules from real life. As good as CG effects have gotten, they still don't hold a candle to animation. Imagine this, you're in the middle of an episode of your favorite live action series when BAM! A mech driven by a cute girl in skimpy clothing has arrived to deliver three minutes of exposition. While this would be jarring to many Western shows its comonplace in anime. The Western shows need to follow certain rules and guidelines in order to create an audience.

And thats another huge difference. By in large, TV in Japan is created with a specific arc and a limited number of episodes (exceptions do apply). In America, however, the goal is to stay on the air for as long as possible and milk a franchise for all its worth. Thats why it's so rare for a series to "go out on top" (again, generally speaking).

When it comes to Western cartoons, the obvious answer is that there is a differnece in depth (blanket statement). While even the most, how you say "popular", anime might be considered shallow it still contains themes like loyalty, duty, or honor (Naruto). And there are other shows that contain philosophical, psychological, or sociological themes that allow us to challenge our minds while we watch giant robots eff stuff up.

The "Too Long; Didn't Read" version: Because Anime is the perfect combination of diverse elements that allow extravagant and exciting, yet personal, stories to be told that otherwise couldn't in any other medium.

Mito Komon defeaat you agumeant

I'm not framilar with the show, sorry. But I was speaking very broadly so there might well be specific examples to prove me wrong. On the whole I'm happy with my "argument" (I'd rather think of it as my opinion, I'm not here to change other people's minds but simply to share my own). Thanks for your response!
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Nov 10, 2012 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
I'd say it's a case of averages; investment in animantion as an artform and a lot more variety pays off.

mitch3315 said:
Because moe.

Seriously, just look:

Anime moe

Western moe

General love for this post.

Nov 10, 2012 10:47 AM
Mar 2011
NickyCharisma said:
Otaking87 said:
NickyCharisma said:

I'm not framilar with the show, sorry. But I was speaking very broadly so there might well be specific examples to prove me wrong. On the whole I'm happy with my "argument" (I'd rather think of it as my opinion, I'm not here to change other people's minds but simply to share my own). Thanks for your response!

its as live actin drama that ran for 42 years and just under 1200 episdoes
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 10, 2012 11:32 AM

Aug 2012
whitesox123 said:
JavierR said:
What I don't get is that why do you guys refer to yourselves as westerners? Why can't you just say us americans, or whatever country you're from?
^ this

Because they live in the West. Americans? I'd prefer to call them Western Immigrants.
Nov 10, 2012 11:33 AM
Jun 2012
Lol wtf, another one of these not even a page after the other one.
Nov 10, 2012 1:17 PM

Oct 2012
Otaking87 said:
NickyCharisma said:
Otaking87 said:
NickyCharisma said:

its as live actin drama that ran for 42 years and just under 1200 episdoes

Ah! Well that sounds like a notable exception rather than the status quo.
Nov 10, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
It is?

Show me an anime that reaches the level of The Wire in it's respective genre?
Some genres are more represented in one medium or the other. And of course some people (like me) just really like animated stuff over live action, as a general rule, still having nothing do with west/east. That's all there is to it.

By the way I didn't read the whole OP post because it friggin' HURT my brain after a few lines. Get a grip on spelling and punctuation(!!) and we'll talk again. Until then I assume you dislike western stuff because of your difficulties with the english language.

I agree I it hurts my eyes reading the op in this guy's threads but whatever.As for question in the op I think it's more like a matter of taste.There are some good really shows out there too like misfits,supernatural,the walking dead,skins or good movies and some bad ones and the same goes for anime but each have their target own audience
Nov 10, 2012 4:15 PM
Feb 2011
dankickyou said:
Oh God! Another anime circle-jerk thread

Btw OP the answer is "Isao Takahata"

seriously it's not that fucking hard.

in the 60s Takahata and friends made something that actually fully utilized the power of animation. "We're tired of making Disney-like movies for children with talking animals, so we'll make something that makes a statement. We want to be REAL artists."

So they made it, and then other japanese started doing the same thing over time, and eventually they developed thier own style of animation based in thier experiences as a culture, instead of trying to be "the Disney of the East". (Toei)

America hasn't had an epiphany like that yet. So we still cling to Disney's idea of animation, and tired old phrases like "magical" and "fun for the whole family"

again, not that hard.
002173Nov 10, 2012 4:25 PM
Nov 10, 2012 4:18 PM

Mar 2012
dankickyou said:
Oh God! Another anime circle-jerk thread

Woo!

However...
mitch3315 said:
Because moe.

Seriously, just look:

Anime moe

Western moe
This made my day.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Nov 10, 2012 4:48 PM

Jul 2012
I personally enjoy TV/cinema more than Anime.
Nov 10, 2012 5:01 PM

May 2012
Animefreak17a said:
im not saying western shows / cartoons are crap or anything like that but with anime you get brilliant animation, brilliant storys, brilliant characters, great plots ect ect ect

Well, not so much these days...
Nov 11, 2012 8:18 AM
Jun 2012
clubparadisee said:
they show things westerns are scared to

things like what, for example? OH! You mean things like …this or things like this here? Westerners make animated shows that are just as dark and grim as Japanese animation
Nov 11, 2012 8:54 AM

Jun 2009
HappyRadio3000 said:
clubparadisee said:

things like what, for example? OH! You mean things like …this or things like this here? Westerners make animated shows that are just as dark and grim as Japanese animation
Grimderp shock humor isn't something to be scared of.
Nov 11, 2012 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
Several obvious reasons:

1) A culture of adapting many stories made by individual people or small groups makes it far easier to experiment and do strange things within the medium.

2) It also has a culture of telling a story, then stopping when it's finished. Western television is awful at this basic idea, content to have some sort of premise and then work it for a seemingly infinite number of stories until it's wheezing on life-support.

3) Most advanced television techniques don't work very well with mimesis. Without a drawing culture, most types of stories in Western television are confined to live-action, which is far more limited because it has to look sort of real. This means as television gets more advanced, live-action gets inevitably left behind. In the last 20 years, anime has gone from a medium in which Nadia represents the pinnacle of the art to one in which things like Penguindrum and Madoka exist. Live-action hasn't advanced significantly since the 70s. It can't import any of the techniques invented by anime, they only work when you're drawing things.

4) Anime is aimed at a reasonably young, but bright audience. That means it can be plenty intelligent whilst being worthwhile too, its viewers still have dreams and ideals left. Western live-action has to cater for an audience which thinks The Wire is something worth doing with television, that is actually interested in squalid little struggles between policemen and criminals. Anime can have more fun because its viewers haven't been bullied into passive acceptance yet.

5) Western storytelling has a big problem of this "original myth" in which there is a completely good God and a completely evil Satan, which it has to work around if it's to make any sort of interesting story. Japanese culture doesn't have such a bugbear getting in the way.
Nov 11, 2012 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
logopolis said:
Several obvious reasons:

1) A culture of adapting many stories made by individual people or small groups makes it far easier to experiment and do strange things within the medium.

2) It also has a culture of telling a story, then stopping when it's finished. Western television is awful at this basic idea, content to have some sort of premise and then work it for a seemingly infinite number of stories until it's wheezing on life-support.

3) Most advanced television techniques don't work very well with mimesis. Without a drawing culture, most types of stories in Western television are confined to live-action, which is far more limited because it has to look sort of real. This means as television gets more advanced, live-action gets inevitably left behind. In the last 20 years, anime has gone from a medium in which Nadia represents the pinnacle of the art to one in which things like Penguindrum and Madoka exist. Live-action hasn't advanced significantly since the 70s. It can't import any of the techniques invented by anime, they only work when you're drawing things.

4) Anime is aimed at a reasonably young, but bright audience. That means it can be plenty intelligent whilst being worthwhile too, its viewers still have dreams and ideals left. Western live-action has to cater for an audience which thinks The Wire is something worth doing with television, that is actually interested in squalid little struggles between policemen and criminals. Anime can have more fun because its viewers haven't been bullied into passive acceptance yet.

5) Western storytelling has a big problem of this "original myth" in which there is a completely good God and a completely evil Satan, which it has to work around if it's to make any sort of interesting story. Japanese culture doesn't have such a bugbear getting in the way.

Citation needed
The Art of Eight
Nov 11, 2012 9:48 AM
Jun 2012
DrHouse said:
HappyRadio3000 said:
clubparadisee said:

Look, nowhere in that post did that Guy say anything about western animation not being scary, he said that animation in the west is less likely to be dark or disturbing than eastern animation without backing up such a claim. What I showed you was a western animated DRAMA., no comedy, mostly tragedy with an occasional joke.or two thrown in there. For the most part it was supposed to be angsty and tragic. You're getting it all wrong, man.
Nov 11, 2012 10:04 AM

Sep 2010
HappyRadio3000 said:
DrHouse said:
HappyRadio3000 said:
clubparadisee said:

Look, nowhere in that post did that Guy say anything about western animation not being scary, he said that animation in the west is less likely to be dark or disturbing than eastern animation without backing up such a claim. What I showed you was a western animated DRAMA., no comedy, mostly tragedy with an occasional joke.or two thrown in there. For the most part it was supposed to be angsty and tragic. You're getting it all wrong, man.

And then there's the issue with how limited such shows are. I mean how long are can someone post about Western animated shows that were made 10 years ago? People could talk about the late night shows on Adult Swim but then I beg those people to release that 5 or so risky, "mature" cartoons a year is just a drop in bucket when compared to the amount of anime that keeps getting made season after season.

Nov 11, 2012 10:20 AM
Jun 2012
I'm not trying to say that western animation makes a ton of shows like that, I'm saying that western animated shows like that DO EXIST and that a lot of anime-only fans will not only in this thread but troughout this whole community, are saying American animation is NEVER tragic or angsty shows, and that the ones they do create suck because they're "for kids". They completely slam western animation and say the only good animated shows made in Japan. These works Do exist and they are very much there, but you're all too busy watching your favorite anime to the point that you're making western shows like "Tron: Uprising" and "Spawn: The Animated Series" down simply because they're either "for children" (I should really only put that In quotation marks because both of those are anything but created for children) or "old". Yes there may be a wider range of shows coming out in Japan, but quit treating themlike every one of them is a masterpiece and all of the American ones fail. This type of attitude will do nothing to help animation industries in the west prosper.
ADeletedUserNov 11, 2012 10:42 AM
Nov 11, 2012 11:01 AM

Sep 2010
And the fact they DO EXIST doesn't change the fact that they barely exist at all. The fact they barely exist combined with America's "animation age ghetto" lends support to the idea that American animators are scared or at best overly cautious when it comes to creating a dark, disturbing animated stories. And just for clarification because you need it, being scared to produce a certain kind of story is not the same as saying a certain kind of story never gets produced. If you can only argue absolutes and extremes I suggest you find some and stop misinterpreting points that are neither.

Nov 11, 2012 11:05 AM

Oct 2011
because anime doesn't have the 90% of them dressed up in gay tights.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 11:09 AM

Jun 2009
HappyRadio3000 said:
DrHouse said:
HappyRadio3000 said:
clubparadisee said:

No, he said that eastern animators will show things that western animators won't. There's a niche for shock humor in American animation. Not so much for anything that wants to be "dark" and serious like the Sorpranos, or most other highly-rated live action American shows.

And there is such a thing as black humor. Moral Oral is a prime example.
Nov 12, 2012 6:25 AM
Feb 2012
The bias, it burns.
Nov 12, 2012 12:44 PM

Aug 2012
Because Americans are too lazy to comprehend anime. They just like to watch Sunday night football.

Joking, but I honestly think its because... Hmmm, no definite answer for that is there? Japan made anime, the rest of the world decided to go with their own thing.
This question will never be answered.
Nov 12, 2012 5:08 PM

Feb 2009
I honestly don't think it's more entertaining. Sure, I like my anime, but I have yet to find an anime I like as much as Dexter or The Walking Dead (You said western cartoons/shows, so I assume that includes live action). It all depends on what you like.
Jun 15, 2016 4:44 PM
Dec 2015
Anime tends to be more creative with it's shows.
Jun 15, 2016 4:48 PM

Sep 2014
I like western cartoons that aren't politically correct, but most western cartoons are full of the same shitty messages like "sharing is caring", "girl power", etc.

I like anime because the makers give no shits and just pander to the highest bidder. Western media tries too hard to cater to everyone's interests instead of targetting a demographic and sticking with it.
Jun 15, 2016 5:02 PM

Oct 2015
Is it? You can't just state something like that as if we all agree with it by default.

That said, I do think the current state of "traditional", 2D animation in Japan is better than in the west.

This is largely because in the west, most animated shows on TV are either children's cartoons, or "adult" animated sitcoms, which are basically children's cartoons but with dick jokes.

Anime has a lot more variety, lots of people like to complain about the anime industry being super homogenised, and although this is true to an extent, there's still more of a willingness to create new stuff than in the west.

One of the main reasons for this is because the majority of animators in the west with any modicum of talent have moved onto CGI animation, leaving traditional animation in the dust, used only by amateur directors/animators, in Japan it seems like lots of people are flat out against CGI animation, which is kinda silly, but it ensures that there are still a lot of professional industry veterans working solely on traditional animation.

As for comparing anime to western live action, I'm not going to do that, because that is an apples vs. oranges situation.
Jun 15, 2016 5:05 PM
Dec 2014
why is anime more entertaining then most western cartoons / western shows

A lot of people (outside this forum) would disagree with that statement.

One of the reason I stopped watching Western shows though, is that they are never written with an ending in mind. I feel that too often, they will milk it until the ratings drop, then can it and we are left without a satisfying closure.

In anime, you do have shows that are designed to go on, and on and on (One Piece, Detective Conan), and you also have shows that never get a second season due to poor performances. But at least in the later case, you can often continue to follow the story in the manga. And more importantly, you can find a greater share of shows that take you on a journey with a proper start, middle and ending. That's just me though.
Jun 15, 2016 5:12 PM

May 2015
Live action shows have more general appeal than animation, in...general. Don't think you're gonna find many people who prefer cartoons to real people pretty much(I mean..here you will obviously). If we aren't talking about the general opinion, you're just preaching to choir.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 15, 2016 5:47 PM

May 2015
Anime has a lot of genres to choose from. They make hundreds of anime every year and each is creative in their own way. 2d > 3d

Zura said it best:

Jun 15, 2016 5:54 PM

May 2016
I like ongoing storylines, and not many Western cartoons deliver that (but when they do, it's typically fuckin' awesome like Avatar and Korra). Therefore, I turn to anime.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 15, 2016 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
For me it isn't, anime is just another medium to watch. Adventure Time for me is a billion times more entertaining than boring Grimgar, Regular Show is a billion times more entertaining than shitty No Game No Life and Young Justice completely shits on Akame Ga Kill. It's a case by case thing for me though, some western cartoons and shows will be more entertaining to me than some anime and vice versa.
Jun 16, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
I don't have a preference. Anime is more diverse than Western cartoons, but Japan also puts out more cartoons than the West.

When it comes to live-action TV shows, they never end. They go on until the rating goes out. Anime actually end and are a whole story. That's easier to follow and more fun to watch.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 16, 2016 1:01 AM

Mar 2016
I knew there was something special about anime before even knowing what it was. Totoro, Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Bebop were all shows that I became infatuated with subconsciously. The stories were more mature and humanistic, and the art was aesthetically pleasing. It stood out compared to crap like Ren & Stimpy or Spongebob.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jul 2, 2016 8:32 AM

Feb 2016
I think cartoons lack the depth of anime, that's why anime are more entertaining for me.
Jul 7, 2016 10:47 PM

Aug 2013
i wouldn't say it is. i'd of agree years ago but TV is in a golden age right now. well, live action atleast, cartoons not so much.

my favorite current ongoing shows in order

1) Game of Thrones
2) The Night Manager
3) Daredevil
4) Mr. Robot
5) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
6) Humans
7) Jessica Jones
8) Gotham
9) Flash
10) Agents of Shield
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2016 11:31 PM

Jul 2013
I agree with the poster from page 1, it's a pointless thread. Also, most anime are still boring too (especially 2014 anime that weeaboos thought was awesome and also thought was better than my kids shows). Back in my day, I didn't have to worry about typical stereotypes or boring art-style that are attached or found in boring stuff like Naruto (dropped during Shippuden), Inuyasha (my sister tried to watch this series via Blu-ray then fell asleep), Fairy Tail (dropped) or One Piece (also dropped). At least most western animation doesn't force me to watch them episode after episode, but in any order I like (I re-watched every episode of Superman: TAS very quickly and effortlessly). Episodic cartoon/anime shows like Outlaw Star or whatever are better to watch over and over in the long run, take it or leave it.
Jul 8, 2016 7:24 AM
Jun 2014
Usually I consider anime to be far more amusing than western cartoons and shows because anime usually has a continuous linear plot. Most cartoons I grew up with in the U.S. had a different random conflict every episode while anime would follow a true plot from beginning to end.
Jul 10, 2016 1:12 AM

Apr 2016
As for anime versus Western cartoons, I'd have to say anime has a little more variety. In the West, cartoons are mostly either (1) kids' stuff, or (2) adult low-brow humor. There are exceptions, or course, but I think they mostly fall into one of these two camps. Not that either of these are bad by any means; I've enjoyed many shows from both catergories. (I actually let out an audible "Woo-hoo!" when I recently came across one of my childhood favorites Animaniacs on Netflix.) But overall, I think anime offers more to choose from.

As for anime versus other Western shows, I think it's not so much anime being overall better, but that Western television has so much garbage dragging the average down, if you will. For every Breaking Bad, there are twenty [Insert Some Random Activity Here] Wars. For every How It's Made, there are multiple entire seasons of Ancient Aliens. (I could go on forever, but I think you get the point.) Now sure, there's a lot of bad anime, too. But even the worst anime is still going to have more care, effort, and budget put into it than most reality shows. It comes down to probability, I'm more likely to find an anime I'm interested in than I am to find a tiny island of quality in a sea of "reality."
Jul 10, 2016 1:20 PM

Feb 2008
Honestly, TV shows are way better than anime. I dunno much about western cartoons since I haven't seen much of them, but as it stands tv shows > anime any day.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

45 by aanj1n »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

38 by BatoKusanagi »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

27 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

185 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
7 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

25 by EastIndiaCompany »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.