Forum Settings
Forums

do you watch anime (*besides being a fan and enjoying it*) to forget your worries

New
Nov 9, 2012 2:11 PM

Jul 2012
when i was at school i was always picked on but i had to be tough and just get on with it.

but after watching pokemon and dragonball z and yugioh and others that followed after wards i felt i could forget my worries and enjoy watching them, to be honest i i guess anime made me feel that everythings going to be ok.

when my grandmother got cancer * she beaten it now* i had to smile and say she'll be fine shes a tough old bird.

i guess anime makes me forget all the bad stuff in life.

dont get me wrong i just dont watch anime for just that reason, i enjoy watching them and a fan. but something about anime makes me feel i can forget my worries
geekfreak17aNov 9, 2012 2:18 PM
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Nov 9, 2012 2:15 PM

Aug 2012
I don't have a particularly unhappy life, (although so far it's playing out exactly like 5 CM/Second does), but seeing as I'm a 3 sport varsity athlete and a college/pro baseball prospect in high school, I do believe part of the reason why I enjoy anime so much is that it allows me to escape the world for a while and leave my worries behind.
Nov 9, 2012 2:35 PM
Jun 2012
i watch anime for entertainment and as an escape from the mundane life
Nov 9, 2012 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
No..

I watch anime because I like anime..
Nov 9, 2012 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
I never got picked on at school or anything. My life is pretty fortunate compared to most people. However, I usually use anime to take a break from things like studying or doing assignments. Either that or to escape my responsibilities. My favourite anime to do so with is K-On. It's escapism at its finest
Nov 9, 2012 2:39 PM

Sep 2012
i aint got no worries but it somehow fills a missing void that i have other than that i love anime

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 2:40 PM

May 2012
Anime is escapism for me, taking a break from my worries, but it's also just really entertaining!
Nov 9, 2012 2:41 PM

Jun 2007
I can't relate to anything you said, I was always a big guy and even played sports, and was rather popular in school and uni. Never had any issues with family dying or being sick either, because aside my mother, my brother, and myself, we were never close with the rest. I have plenty of other problems and issues though.

As for the actual question though - I can't do 'escapism' at all, it doesn't work for me. I've tried in the past but if I'm stressed out or feeling bad and try to watch anime, I just ruin the episodes I'm watching because I can't pay attention to them - there's just too much going on in my head at the time. Either that or I end up really disliking it if I'm in a bad mood. So no, I only watch anime because I enjoy it. And BECAUSE I enjoy it, I purposefully avoid trying to use it as escapism, as it would ruin it for me and make it all far less enjoyable as a whole.
Nov 9, 2012 2:46 PM

Aug 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
I can't do 'escapism' at all, it doesn't work for me. I've tried in the past but if I'm stressed out or feeling bad and try to watch anime, I just ruin the episodes I'm watching because I can't pay attention to them - there's just too much going on in my head at the time. Either that or I end up really disliking it if I'm in a bad mood. So no, I only watch anime because I enjoy it. And BECAUSE I enjoy it, I purposefully avoid trying to use it as escapism, as it would ruin it for me and make it all far less enjoyable as a whole.

This exactly.
Nov 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Jul 2012
just to be clear i see watching anime and reading manga as my pass time, hobby, entertainment, being a fan, and of course i really love and enjoy watching anime,

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Nov 9, 2012 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
TrickedOutHoro said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
I can't do 'escapism' at all, it doesn't work for me. I've tried in the past but if I'm stressed out or feeling bad and try to watch anime, I just ruin the episodes I'm watching because I can't pay attention to them - there's just too much going on in my head at the time. Either that or I end up really disliking it if I'm in a bad mood. So no, I only watch anime because I enjoy it. And BECAUSE I enjoy it, I purposefully avoid trying to use it as escapism, as it would ruin it for me and make it all far less enjoyable as a whole.

This exactly.

good point

im a shiki supporter

Nov 9, 2012 4:20 PM
Feb 2011
Animefreak17a said:
when i was at school i was always picked on but i had to be tough and just get on with it.

but after watching pokemon and dragonball z and yugioh and others that followed after wards i felt i could forget my worries and enjoy watching them, to be honest i i guess anime made me feel that everythings going to be ok.

i guess anime makes me forget all the bad stuff in life.

dont get me wrong i just dont watch anime for just that reason, i enjoy watching them and a fan. but something about anime makes me feel i can forget my worries

I can relate with this. Sorry to hear about the bullying. That shits no fun. Though I don't use anime when I want to just forget about something. I use shooter video games for that. (Halo Halo Halo)
I do have a deep respect for anime (and animation in general) though. It saved me from suicide in high school. Evangelion, more specifically.

Stories in general have always sort of spoken to me. Whenever I have something I'm slogging through I always seem to stumble on characters with the exact same issues. It's kind of... weird?
Nov 9, 2012 4:28 PM

Jun 2007
MaedhrostheTall said:

Stories in general have always sort of spoken to me. Whenever I have something I'm slogging through I always seem to stumble on characters with the exact same issues. It's kind of... weird?

When something is on your mind you typically notice those things more, it's a weird feeling but it happens all the time. Like, if you learn a new strange word you feel like you've never heard - suddenly it'll seem like everyone is using it.
Nov 9, 2012 5:31 PM

Mar 2009
No. I just watch it for fun or when I'm bored.
Nov 9, 2012 5:33 PM

Apr 2011
Isn't that what entertainment is in a nutshell?
Nov 9, 2012 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
Yea. Sometimes when I am feeling down, I will deliberately pick some more light mood or heart warming anime to watch.
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 9, 2012 5:57 PM

Jul 2011
Whilst anime serves as a form of escapism for me, I generally watch it because I enjoy it. The feeling I get from a really good anime is nowhere to be found in regular movies, and I don't think it's quite possible to convey some of the magical feelings unto real film.
For instance, I would like to see someone create Clannad After Story or Ef - A Tale of Melodies just as emotional on a live action movie.
For me, it's not possible.
Nov 9, 2012 6:10 PM
Oct 2010
Yeah I completed kara no kyoukai (had seen the first one a while ago) this week because I simply needed a break from how busy I was right now. I basically shut everything out for a day and completed it. Really helped me out, I feel alot better and alot less frustrated.
Nov 9, 2012 6:45 PM

Aug 2012
yeh, i use it to escape reality ... life just kinda sucks at moments :/ but overall i just really enjoy it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 6:52 PM
Apr 2009
Terium said:
Whilst anime serves as a form of escapism for me, I generally watch it because I enjoy it. The feeling I get from a really good anime is nowhere to be found in regular movies, and I don't think it's quite possible to convey some of the magical feelings unto real film.
For instance, I would like to see someone create Clannad After Story or Ef - A Tale of Melodies just as emotional on a live action movie.
For me, it's not possible.
Same for me in those sentences.

I watch it to enjoy, and relieve stress. More to enjoy part though.
Nov 9, 2012 7:07 PM
May 2010
I do sometimes, yes. Generally only watch my favorite comedies when I am trying to forget worries. Other times I watch the more serious/tragic series to let myself think about my life more(not that my life is tragic, just that I tend to think about it more if I am in a sadder mood)
Worships Asparagus.
Nov 9, 2012 7:10 PM

Apr 2012
I wouldnt say I use anime to escape reality. I just really enjoy anime!
Nov 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, I do use it to forget my worries. It's a great stress reliever.
Nov 9, 2012 8:32 PM

Jan 2008
Only works when it doesn't remind me of my problems again which I have a bad habit of chaining pointless events to remind me of my problems.
Nov 9, 2012 8:39 PM
Mar 2012
Yeah life can be messed up alot watching anime just takes your mind off it and focus on something else sometimes i watch really sad animes to be like well at least lifes not like that so i dont feel so depressed.
Nov 9, 2012 9:03 PM

Sep 2012
I guess it could be a form of escapism, but I generally turn to more engrossing things when I'm feeling down.
Nov 9, 2012 9:23 PM

Sep 2012
Not at all, i don't really got unhappy life to begin with, even sometimes when im down my friends help me get to my normal self again.
Nov 9, 2012 10:38 PM

Sep 2010
Escapism?
To a minor degree, yes. I watch anime in order to be entertained and thus escape being bored because there's nothing else interesting going on.

Nov 10, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2012
Watching anime used to relieve my stress, but now I don't feel that way anymore.
Nov 10, 2012 1:23 AM

Jan 2009
yep it makes me fantasize a good life
since real life or reality is a bitch
and other than that anime is enterntainment too
Nov 10, 2012 4:01 AM

Feb 2012
Yes, anime helps me to escape from reality. Reality sucks most of the time.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Nov 10, 2012 4:12 AM

Apr 2012
Never has forgetting my worries been my main intent when watching anime. But I admit that most of my worries are washed away after watching one. I dunno, even when I'm mad like hell and won't talk to anyone, I can suddenly laugh when I watch. It really makes me forget my worries.
Nov 10, 2012 4:16 AM

Jun 2009
On the contrary, a lot of my favorites actually remind me of issues that are relevant to me. That's actually a part of why I like them.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 10, 2012 5:03 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 10, 2012 4:35 AM

May 2012
hells yeah!
anime helps me chillax
Nov 10, 2012 4:46 AM

Sep 2011
I don't really watch anime as a form of escapism, but I guess that's what it does. I have pretty terrible anxiety, so my entire life revolves around escapism. Anime doesn't help much when I'm feeling really bad though. In those cases I need something that will force me to take my mind off of my problems. I've found that Professor Layton works very well.

But yeah, I guess overall anime helps.
Nov 10, 2012 4:57 AM

Oct 2012
Not really no. In those situations i tend to do other things. I usually watch anime when i have some free time and mostly for entertainment purposes.
Nov 10, 2012 5:07 AM

Mar 2012
Life sucks, it really does. As I was being picked on like 4 years ago, I got to experience just how cruel kids can be, I was really in dispair. Right now I still feel like nothing really gets to me, I have friends but it still feels like I am alone. Well that's when anime comes into play, it really calmes me down, just as it did in the past. It is like a world you can escape to when you feel down and it is always great being there, because you are accepted-so you don't have to feel down.
Nov 10, 2012 5:25 AM

Sep 2012
Hmm. No, just not escapism. Definitely not.
I don't watch anime to relieve stress (I'm NEVER stressed actually) or whatever. Even though I kind of was being picked on at school aswell, I never paid attention to the bullies acting retarded and being mean. So they eventually gave up on me, left me alone and chose another victim to harrass.
So yes, I only watch anime for the pure purpose of enjoyment and to fight against boredom.
Nov 10, 2012 8:39 AM

Nov 2012
Yes, I watch anime to wash away my worries.
I don't know.. It's just that Animes are too good to be described in words.
It's just that Anime gives us life lessons and that, it can relate in our real and everyday lives. Also, It's best if you watch Comedy-themed Anime when you have loads of worries. They say that in every sadness, there's always a smile hiding. :)
Nov 10, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
Definitely.

I remember back in elementary school I hated my life and being at school really sucked, but when I went home I made sure to always watch Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, and Macross II (it was on a certain movie channel back then quite a bit). Somehow, that made me feel better no matter how much I was picked on. Even in college, where I struggled to interact with people, Anime served as a way to get away from all of that, and, in time, to go out there and try to interact with others again. Now that I'm out of college and stationed at a new post (in a state I've never been to before with no friends and still with the same feeling of being anxious in social situations) having Anime has really been helpful.

Now, I think constantly trying to wash away my worries with Anime is not always the healthiest behavior. However, knowing I have something like that to fall back on is quite helpful.
Nov 10, 2012 12:02 PM

Oct 2012
For myself, I do watch anime just for entertainment mostly, but sometimes I do use it to escape from my real life, just to have dreams on living in the characters life and things like that but..yeah mostly for entertainment ^^
Nov 10, 2012 2:58 PM

Jul 2010
I watch anime all the times, for entertainment, for rough times and even feeling really bad. Anime has always helped me, I watch anime almost everyday =p
Nov 10, 2012 4:13 PM

Jul 2012
LemonKush said:
I watch anime all the times, for entertainment, for rough times and even feeling really bad. Anime has always helped me, I watch anime almost everyday =p

i watch anime every day regardless

im a shiki supporter

Nov 10, 2012 4:20 PM

Mar 2011
I watch anime because I love it, pretty much more than anything else. :)
Nov 12, 2012 6:59 AM

Jan 2010
Well, there was a time i was extremely depressed and started watching K-on to forget about my worries. But overall, I watch it just because I like it.
Nov 12, 2012 7:32 AM

Sep 2008
This summer i had a really terrible time and watching anime helped me quite a lot, it let my mind off my problems.
I don't really know why i started watching anime, it all begun because i was bored. I took a look at Death Note, that simply caught my attention and it drove me to complete it as soon as possible. It was entertainment. I acknowledge it distracts me from life and make me daydream like nothing else have ever done in my lifetime.
Nov 12, 2012 8:17 AM

Nov 2012
Oh deffoes i always watch azumanga daioh or my complete tenchi series becouse they always make me feel relaxed then i can face the things i worry about ^^
Nov 12, 2012 9:41 AM

Sep 2012
I enjoy watching it for the plot and character, but it helps me get away from reality sometimes. And after i watch anime, i feel relief.
Nov 12, 2012 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
yeah totally,
did it a lot the past 4 years but especially 2 last years to forget my painful day passed of getting bullied

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

30 by FZREMAKE »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

93 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 1 hour ago

16 by Coaghim »»
15 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.