Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2012 8:38 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
I am wondering if everything is considered either a Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Josei, Yaoi, or Yuri. I understand that there are tons of other genres like romance, mecha, etc, but can those six apply to all anime? Like, are they the categories at the top of the pyramid and the others are more like sub-categories?

What would Clannad be under? Shoujo?
How about Code Geass? Shounen?
Or Cowboy Bebop? No clue.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2012 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
The magazine the manga/LN got published in. If its anime original/anime based on VN's then there isn't really a way to determine it. Although I doubt clannad would be a shoujo.

But yuri and yaoi aren't demographics, yuri is the girl-love/romance genre and yaoi is its male counterpart(boy love/romace)

LancelotTypeZero said:
They should just rename slice of life genre to Clannad because that set the standard

I'm not sure if I should take this seriously..

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 9, 2012 8:52 AM

Nov 2010
Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Josei are really demographics(who the show is aimed at) this site uses them as genres, here is the site's explanation of all genres. So they don't use them as broadly as they can, this site uses them as a genre for certain shows.
Nov 9, 2012 8:54 AM

Nov 2010
rederoin said:
LancelotTypeZero said:
They should just rename slice of life genre to Clannad because that set the standard

I don't know either, is he serious?
Nov 9, 2012 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Josei are really demographics(who the show is aimed at) this site uses them as genres, here is the site's explanation of all genres. So they don't use them as broadly as they can, this site uses them as a genre for certain shows.

MAL still misuses the yuri term, I see. Oh well.

Nov 9, 2012 8:58 AM

Feb 2010
Why do people keep thinking Clannad is shoujo? It is about a guy with a harem. The fact that it does things more tastefully than others doesn't change anything. I doubt the VN was aimed at girls, when you have the MC being a guy who goes around making girls happy.

So even if a show is not adapted from manga, I'd say in most cases you can find out the target audience of the VN/Game/Novel it adapts quite easy. Same goes for original anime. Of course those target audiences are all but absolute, but that's another matter.

And Bebop would be Seinen.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 9, 2012 9:01 AM

Jan 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
rederoin said:
LancelotTypeZero said:

I don't know either, is he serious?

Sadly I was serious thanks to the link IntroverTurtle put up I see now what the true definition for that genre is and I will never listen to one of my best friends for anime logic again. Sorry for my stupidity *sulks in shame
Nov 9, 2012 9:20 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:

your Spake sense goood sir
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 9, 2012 9:29 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Demographics, yes. That was the word I was looking for. Also, after posting the yuri/yaoi bit I realized that they would fall under a demographic themselves.

I have a separate list that I also keep in a spread sheet. I keep up with several more categories for the anime there. I wanted to add a demographic for each anime, but it is proving to be way more difficult than I imagined.

I just thought Clannad would be a Shoujo because of all the cutesy stuff and the heavy Shoujo-like love story theme. Also, no way would I call Clannad a harem, but it seems that is definitely one of its genres by definition. I just always thought that harem meant multiple girls with love interest toward the male MC. In Clannad the only love interest is Nagisa. I now see the definition of harem doesn't have to be love interests. Good to know.
Nov 9, 2012 9:36 AM

Nov 2010
KingYoshi said:
Demographics, yes. That was the word I was looking for. Also, after posting the yuri/yaoi bit I realized that they would fall under a demographic themselves.

I have a separate list that I also keep in a spread sheet. I keep up with several more categories for the anime there. I wanted to add a demographic for each anime, but it is proving to be way more difficult than I imagined.

I just thought Clannad would be a Shoujo because of all the cutesy stuff and the heavy Shoujo-like love story theme. Also, no way would I call Clannad a harem, but it seems that is definitely one of its genres by definition. I just always thought that harem meant multiple girls with love interest toward the male MC. In Clannad the only love interest is Nagisa. I now see the definition of harem doesn't have to be love interests. Good to know.
Well I don't know if you would call yuri/yaoi a demographic since they are both aimed at girls I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well he has a choice between all of those girls, he just picked Nagisa, and the main character is a male so it would be a harem aimed at boys. Like Higashi no Kaze said, it doesn't matter how differently or tastefully it does it, it doesn't change who it's aimed at and the fact that it's a harem.
Nov 9, 2012 9:41 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
KingYoshi said:

Well I don't know if you would call yuri/yaoi a demographic since they are both aimed at girls I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well he has a choice between all of those girls, he just picked Nagisa, and the main character is a male so it would be a harem aimed at boys. Like Higashi no Kaze said, it doesn't matter how differently or tastefully it does it, it doesn't change who it's aimed at and the fact that it's a harem.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant that I realized yaoi/yuri would fall under one of the other 4 demographics :P.

Edit: So Clannad would be considered a shounen. Good to know.
Nov 9, 2012 9:54 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
It seems that Wikipedia has manga categorized by demographic, so I can at least get all of the anime adapted from manga categorized accurately. I suppose I will just try and guess on the others. Thanks for the help everyone and helping me clear up a few things.
KingYoshiNov 9, 2012 10:08 AM
Nov 9, 2012 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
LOL

Actually everything can be classified as Yaoi, Yuri, or normal, base on the character's sexual preference....
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 9, 2012 5:40 PM

Nov 2011
lastsense said:

Actually everything can be classified as Yaoi, Yuri, or normal, base on the character's sexual preference....

That only goes for romance anime/'manga

Nov 9, 2012 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
lastsense said:

well, you can consider anything not yuri/yaoi to be noraml....
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 9, 2012 5:56 PM

Nov 2011
lastsense said:
rederoin said:
lastsense said:

A normal what?

Nov 9, 2012 6:00 PM

Jan 2008
lastsense said:
rederoin said:
lastsense said:

Classified by the viewers, probably, but technically, they aren't unless the series takes it up a notch into more mature/explicit content.
Nov 9, 2012 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:

Unless they get any more explicit, they are still shoujo-ai/shounen-ai.

Not really. Yuri literally means girl love.
It doesn't need to be explicit to be yuri(yuru yuri and the girlfriends manga are example's of that).

Yuri ecchi/hentai series is where it does get explicit. Or in other words, the shoujo-ai term is useless and serves no purpose.

Nov 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Jan 2008
rederoin said:
Paul said:

It doesn't need to be explicit to be yuri(yuru yuri and the girlfriends manga are example's of that).

Yuri ecchi/hentai series is where it does get explicit. Or in other words, the shoujo-ai term is useless and serves no purpose.

Shoujo Ai means girl love. If yuri meant the same thing, then there would be no reason for both tags.

Yuru Yuri is shoujo-ai, I assume people just believe it's 'yuri' because:
1. The fans.
2. The fan art.
3. The title.
Nov 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

Shoujo Ai means girl love.

So does yuri.

Nov 9, 2012 6:07 PM

Jan 2008
/I should stop editing my posts after I post.
Nov 9, 2012 6:08 PM

Oct 2012
yea shoujo ai/yuri/girls love all means same thing.
Nov 9, 2012 6:10 PM

Nov 2009
rederoin said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

So does yuri.

yuri means:

The sexual and romantic relationship between 2 females in an anime, or manga.

Anime, manga, or fanfic that depicts explicit lesbian relationships. Usually focuses on the passionate/ lustful/ physical side of the relationship, unlike shoujo-ai which focuses on the romantic/ loving/ emotional side. Usually R rated or higher.

There is a big different between shoujo-ai and yuri, same with shounen-ai and yaoi.
Nov 9, 2012 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:

Shoujo Ai means girl love. If yuri meant the same thing, then there would be no reason for both tags.

Exactly, there is no reason to use both tags.
In other words, the shoujo-ai tag should be removed. The explicit yuri series should be tagged with either ecchi or hentai(otherwise they wouldn't be explicit the first place).
Yuri also means girl love, and it did exist before shoujo-ai(which is a terrm only used in the west, as far as I know).

I don't know why, but this whole "having 2 words which mean the exact same thing" just annoys me.

Nov 9, 2012 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

So does yuri.

yuri means:

No, it means "girl love". sex is not a requirement for it to be yuri. Romance is.

How wiki defines it
Yuri (百合?), also known by the wasei-eigo construction Girls' Love (ガールズラブ gāruzu rabu?),[3] is a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving love between women in manga, anime, and related Japanese media.[4][5] Yuri can focus either on the sexual, the spiritual, or the emotional aspects of the relationship,

Not the best source, but it'll do.

Nov 9, 2012 6:13 PM

Nov 2009
rederoin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

So does yuri.

yuri means:

No, it means "girl love". sex is not a requirement for it to be yuri. Romance is.

Just edited my post.
Focusing on romance aspects is shoujo-ai, meanwhile yuri focuses on sexual aspects.

Anime, manga, or fanfic that depicts explicit lesbian relationships. Usually focuses on the passionate/ lustful/ physical side of the relationship, unlike shoujo-ai which focuses on the romantic/ loving/ emotional side. Usually R rated or higher.

That's why they have 2 separate words like yuri/shoujo-ai.
Nov 9, 2012 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

So does yuri.

yuri means:

I don't know where you got that definition, but on wiki it is different.

Back on topic, Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, and Josei these 4 categories actually describe the intended age group of readers. On the other hand Yaoi, Yuri, Romance, Mecha etc describes the content of the anime/manga.
Nov 9, 2012 6:15 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

So does yuri.

yuri means:

Just edited my post.
Focus on romance aspects is shoujo-ai, meanwhile yuri focuses on sexual aspects.

Not, you're incorrect about that.

I already explained my stance, shoujo-ai is a pointless term. Yuri can refer to romance(without the sex).
Yuri that focusses on sex are either ecchi yuri or hentia yuri.

Nov 9, 2012 6:15 PM

Nov 2009
lastsense said:
---

Things on wiki aren't always true. Did you study at university before? They told us not to use wiki as references.

rederoin said:

I already explained my stance, shoujo-ai is a pointless term. Yuri can refer to romance(without the sex).
Yuri that focusses on sex are either ecchi yuri or hentia yuri.

Nah you're incorrect.
Nov 9, 2012 6:16 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:

That's why they have 2 separate words like yuri/shoujo-ai.
But thats not needed.

Is it really that hard to call the explicit series ecchi or hentia?

Nov 9, 2012 6:16 PM

Jan 2008
rederoin said:
Paul said:

In other words, the shoujo-ai tag should be removed. The explicit yuri series should be tagged with either ecchi or hentai(otherwise they wouldn't be explicit the first place).
Yuri also means girl love, and it did exist before shoujo-ai(which is a terrm only used in the west, as far as I know).

I don't know why, but this whole "having 2 words which mean the exact same thing" just annoys me.

And this is a western site, or at the very least, an English site. So there's nothing wrong with having them.

Oh and just a quick google to verify and Yuri apparently means lily.
Nov 9, 2012 6:17 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
lastsense said:
---

Things on wiki aren't always true. Did you study at university before? They told us not to use wiki as references.

Then what source do you use? because its a incorrect source, and if I where you I wouldn't trust it.

Nov 9, 2012 6:17 PM

Oct 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
lastsense said:
---

When you know nothing of the subject, wiki is a good starting place. Ofc by no means you should completely trust it. I only brought up wiki b/c you gave us a definition without any source. In university, that's like, useless words.
Nov 9, 2012 6:19 PM

Jun 2009
it depends on the fan really

I got a friend who only watch main stream stuff.

When I showed him Higurashi, he scoff it off after one episode.

Calling it a Shoujo, and how Ryuugu Rena is most definitely a typical "Damsel in Distress"

LMAO, I still can't not laugh every time I remember that!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2012 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Paul said:

And this is a western site, or at the very least, an English site. So there's nothing wrong with having them.

Oh and just a quick google to verify and Yuri apparently means lily.

But its simply not needed, thats the point. The came up the term while there is no need for it.

The big problem is the usage of the word, its that they are trying to change the definition of yuri into it only including ecchi and hentia yuri. While any anime or manga with girl love in yuri.

So I ask, is it really that hard to put ecchi or hentai infront of the yuri?

Nov 9, 2012 6:20 PM

Nov 2009

Cause it's the general term you must know after spent a few years in anime/manga, and I usually read shoujo-ai/yuri manga.

While shoujo-ai focuses on mostly the relationship between girl couples.
Yuri is both relationship, and sexual interacts between them.

As you can see that, yuri magazines are often rated as R+.
Nov 9, 2012 6:22 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:

Cause it's the general term you must know after spent a few years in anime/manga, and I usually reading shoujo-ai/yuri.

Ecchi/hentia yuri is with explicit sex/sexual scenes.
Yuri romance can be without the sex.

Shoujo-ai is a pointless term, what is the point of it? You can just use ecchi and/or hentai to show the difference between the explicit and non-explicit series.

Nov 9, 2012 6:23 PM

Feb 2010
The genre definitions IntroverTurtle linked in his post define Yuri/Yaoi as having hentai elements implied, while Shoujo/Shounen Ai doesn't. But why settle for an easy definition that makes sense if we can discuss the topic over 20 posts?

On a side note I think I have to check out Yuru Yuri to see what actually qualifies as Shoujo Ai. People keep throwing stuff like 'yuri' or 'BL' around all the time and mostly I just think 'wtf?' when I've seen the series they talk about.
Nov 9, 2012 6:25 PM

Feb 2010
rederoin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

Cause it's the general term you must know after spent a few years in anime/manga, and I usually reading shoujo-ai/yuri.

Shoujo-ai is a pointless term, what is the point of it? You can just use ecchi and/or hentai to show the difference between the explicit and non-explicit series.

Why not just make the difference clear in one tag instead of using multiple ones? Also, and this is important, not everything depicting sex is either ecchi or hentai. There are romances that show sex and others that don't, they're still both romances and not ecchi/hentai until other requirements are fulfilled.
Same goes for same-sex romances.
Nov 9, 2012 6:26 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The genre definitions IntroverTurtle linked in his post define Yuri/Yaoi as having hentai elements implied, while Shoujo/Shounen Ai doesn't. But why settle for an easy definition that makes sense if we can discuss the topic over 20 posts?

MAL is not the ones that defines the words.
I'm just annoyed at the fact that so many people seem to belief that yuri implies hentai or smut. Which is far from the case.

Nov 9, 2012 6:26 PM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

actually I dont believe there are terms thats pointless. I think in japanese culture some terms are more preferred than others, like lesbians are preferred to be called yuri rather than straight lesbians. Just cause it sounds nicer.
Nov 9, 2012 6:30 PM

Feb 2010
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I'm just annoyed at the fact that so many people seem to belief that yuri implies hentai or smut. Which is far from the case.

Well, I'm annoyed you imply sex means hentai or smut. That is NOT the case. Many romances depicting sex are just tagged romance/drama. Possible with a Josei/Seinen demographic instead of shoujo/shounen but that's about it.
Shounen/Shoujo Ai and Yuri/Yaoi are good ways of tagging shows so people know what to expect. If it IS in fact a hentai, it will be tagged hentai additionally to Yaoi/Yuri. If it just depicts homosexual relationships (and happens to include the sexual part of the relationship) - Yaoi/Yuri. If it doesn't, Shounen/Shoujo Ai. I don't see the problem, unless you want to change the tagging of all romance anime with sex to hentai.
Nov 9, 2012 6:33 PM

Nov 2009
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Yes yuri often implies smut fyi
Nov 9, 2012 6:35 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well, I'm annoyed you imply sex means hentai or smut. That is NOT the case. Many romances depicting sex are just tagged romance/drama. Possible with a Josei/Seinen demographic instead of shoujo/shounen but that's about it.
Shounen/Shoujo Ai and Yuri/Yaoi are good ways of tagging shows so people know what to expect. If it IS in fact a hentai, it will be tagged hentai additionally to Yaoi/Yuri. If it just depicts homosexual relationships (and happens to include the sexual part of the relationship) - Yaoi/Yuri. If it doesn't, Shounen/Shoujo Ai. I don't see the problem, unless you want to change the tagging of all romance anime with sex to hentai.

You misunderstood me, thats what most people think of yuri(the ones I meet, atleast). As in, that all yuri is hentia. That is what annoys me. I know that plenty of anime with sex in it aren't smut.

But my point is that it doesn't happen with the romance genre either. Sex or not, its still tagged with romance and there is no difference between the 2. Yuri simple means the romance is between 2 girls.

We don't use 2 different genre's for romance either? now do we? Why do it with girl-girl romances?

The term is redundant, pointless, has no need etc..

Nov 9, 2012 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And this is exactly what i'm talking about.

It doesn't, or shouldn't. Girl friends isn't smut, candy boy isn't smut, yuri yuri(not yuru yuri, its not a typo) isn't smut. and I could probably find a bunch of other manga that aren't "smut".

Nov 9, 2012 6:44 PM

Jan 2008
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

You misunderstood me, thats what most people think of yuri(the ones I meet, atleast). As in, that all yuri is hentia. That is what annoys me. I know that plenty of anime with sex in it aren't smut.

But my point is that it doesn't happen with the romance genre either. Sex or not, its still tagged with romance and there is no difference between the 2. Yuri simple means the romance is between 2 girls.

We don't use 2 different genre's for romance either? now do we? Why do it with girl-girl romances?

Not hentai, but again, as I said before, more explicit scenes and more mature content.

Simply being yuri genre doesn't mean there's romance in it.
Nov 9, 2012 6:46 PM

Oct 2012
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Not hentai, but again, as I said before, more explicit scenes and more mature content.

I dont think yuru yuri has any "explicit scenes and more mature content".
Nov 9, 2012 6:47 PM

Jan 2008
lastsense said:
Paul said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I dont think yuru yuri has any "explicit scenes and more mature content".

And thus why I label it (and many other 'western' sites) as shoujo ai.
Nov 9, 2012 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Well, in Japan Yuru Yuri is labeled as "Yuri".

So the question is basically, do we use Japanese labeling or do we use our own western labeling. Cause some of us use Japanese's, while some of us use Westerns.

The discussion and confusion is basically about this?
Nov 9, 2012 6:59 PM

Nov 2009
rederoin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
rederoin said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And this is exactly what i'm talking about.

It doesn't, or shouldn't. Girl friends isn't smut, candy boy isn't smut, yuri yuri(not yuru yuri, its not a typo) isn't smut. and I could probably find a bunch of other manga that aren't "smut".

See? That's what everyone has been telling you from the start.

There are major differences between yuri and shoujo-ai, and the contents in yuri is more mature for the audiences, while shoujo-ai just means girl loves in general.

Take a look at yuri japanese magazine like Comic Lily, Yuri Hime
http://dynasty-scans.com/reader/magazines/yuri_hime_s
http://dynasty-scans.com/reader/volumes/comic_lily_vol_1

There are also sexual interact in Yuru Yuri as well. Remember the naked scenes between those girls in Yuru Yuri when the silver hair girl often imagines things?
Takana_no_HanaNov 9, 2012 7:03 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

12 by EastIndiaCompany »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

203 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

25 by Atashi_Agatha »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.