MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why does Suguha like Kirito?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Sword Art Online »» Why does Suguha like Kirito?

Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
11-09-12, 7:46 AM

you kind of make it a big deal that they are related, so it kind of does fall into that realm tbh. U mention their relationship of brother/cousin three times and talk about being raised together etc. So yes it kind of is.

11-09-12, 8:04 AM

XR said:
you kind of make it a big deal that they are related, so it kind of does fall into that realm tbh. U mention their relationship of brother/cousin three times and talk about being raised together etc. So yes it kind of is.
The problem was why,how and when she fall in love with Kazuto. Change brother/cousin to childhood friend and it's still the same question.
also
ataraxial said:
And this is all ignoring the Westermarck effect even though they were raised up together. Since we're talking about anime. From Japan. But the thing is that Suguha liking Kirito doesn't really make sense even if we ignore the fact that they are related and spent the first few years of their lives together.

11-09-12, 8:11 AM

ssjokg said:
XR said:
The problem was why,how and when she fall in love with Kazuto. Change brother/cousin to childhood friend and it's still the same question.
also
ataraxial said:
And this is all ignoring the Westermarck effect even though they were raised up together. Since we're talking about anime. From Japan. But the thing is that Suguha liking Kirito doesn't really make sense even if we ignore the fact that they are related and spent the first few years of their lives together.

i do see where u r coming from there, but it was just the emphasis he put on their relationship as siblings that made it seem like an incest question. Either way i dont see the problem considering in a lot of anime people fall in love as childhood friends then when reunited are still in love. She could have fallen in love with him early on and held onto it.

Love at first sight etc, all that malarkey, i don't see the issue really.

11-09-12, 9:34 AM
Forum Moderator
Removed a lot of spam in this topic.
Quote-chaining (with or without +1/i agree/yes/lol/ type comments) qualifies as spam.

Also, please don't use threads to advertise your clubs.

11-09-12, 12:20 PM

Niyawa said:
omfgugay said:
There is a difference between hating and trolling, there isnt any trolling in here but there is obviously some clearly shown hate.

You're misunderstanding something. There's a difference between hating, whereas you bash the show for no reason/without any backup, and discussing it with arguments/ideas. That is what I believe we've been doing.

Please go look up the definition again for hate, as well as the differences since you don't seem to completely understand what it exactly means. I don't see any arguments and posts that have backup, mostly hostility towards the anime. Bashing for no reason is trolling, whether your trying to get attention or not. Much of the posts seemed to be removed by the moderator now though.
It would be appreciated if you messaged me if you reply to my post!
Because I do the same when I reply to other people's posts.
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ

11-09-12, 12:29 PM
Forum Moderator
omfgugay said:
Please go look up the definition again for hate, as well as the differences since you don't seem to completely understand what it exactly means. I don't see any arguments and posts that have backup, mostly hostility towards the anime. Bashing for no reason is trolling, whether your trying to get attention or not. Much of the posts seemed to be removed by the moderator now though.

There you go.

11-09-12, 12:44 PM

XR said:
i do see where u r coming from there, but it was just the emphasis he put on their relationship as siblings that made it seem like an incest question. Either way i dont see the problem considering in a lot of anime people fall in love as childhood friends then when reunited are still in love. She could have fallen in love with him early on and held onto it.

Love at first sight etc, all that malarkey, i don't see the issue really.

Yes, you can handwave it and say "oh she always liked him and held onto it since that makes sense," but that's a conjecture and not an answer. In fact, we do know how their relationship developed and it doesn't support that conjecture at all. They were really close as siblings when they were young, but when Kirito was 10-ish, he found out that they were actually cousins. From that fact and with his quitting kendo and his increasing obsession for computers and virtual reality video games, he grew distant from Suguha. Suguha wanted to recover the close relationship they had, but she couldn't really do anything, so she buried herself in her kendo practicing and academics.

She doesn't start to like Kirito romantically until he gets back from Aincrad, and she only "likes" him in the sense that she's confused about the jealousy that she feels when it comes to Kirito being devoted to Asuna. And she's confused about how he is suddenly approachable and friendly towards her. The romantic love stuff only really starts with meeting him in ALO.

At least that's the most reasonable interpretation given what we know. Basically, the anime did a crappier job of explaining things that were already poorly explained in the LN. But what else is new?

As for incest, the whole second paragraph of the first post was there to state as obviously as possible that it wasn't really an incest question. Mentioning the cousin/brother relationship was only for convenience. It would have been difficult and awkward to phrase the question without mentioning that Kirito and Suguha happen to be cousins and get the same meaning across.

11-09-12, 1:25 PM
Forum Moderator
Ataraxial, all there is to it, that romance in SAO is inconsistent. We all know, it doesn't matter who's the girl, she will fall in love with Kirito. It's not really a matter of "why" anymore, it's "when". I'm pretty sure both fanboys/haters/casual viewers can agree with me, since this is what have been happening since episode 2.

11-09-12, 1:57 PM

It's quite hard to explain someones love.

11-09-12, 2:05 PM

Niyawa said:
Ataraxial, all there is to it, that romance in SAO is inconsistent. We all know, it doesn't matter who's the girl, she will fall in love with Kirito. It's not really a matter of "why" anymore, it's "when". I'm pretty sure both fanboys/haters/casual viewers can agree with me, since this is what have been happening since episode 2.
Except that, only 3 of the 5 "main" girls fall in love with him.And thats not counting the red haired one,Yoruko,the nun and the silver haired one from The Army.
Of course Yui doesnt count.And Sachi didnt even need the LN to see that she didnt have romantic feelings for him.And according to Kawahara, Kirito was the one that had feelings for her.

I will give you Silica since the anime didnt show that she looked at him as an older brother so 4 out of 5 "mains".

You guys will even count
Modified by ssjokg, 11-09-12, 2:17 PM

11-09-12, 2:14 PM
Forum Moderator
ssjokg said:
Except that, only 3 of the 5 "main" girls fall in love with him.And thats not counting the red haired one,Yoruko,the nun and the silver haired one from The Army.
Of course Yui doesnt count.And Sachi didnt even need the LN to see that she didnt have romantic feelings for him.And according to Kawahara, Kirito was the one that had feelings for her.

I will give you Silica since the anime didnt show that she looked at him as an older brother so 4 out of 5 "mains".

You guys will even count[spoilers]the two Lords for teasing him(and Lyfa)

Hurm. See? I rest my case.

11-09-12, 2:19 PM

Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

You guys will even count

Hurm. See? I rest my case.

rest your case?Which part of not all girls fall for him didnt you get?

11-09-12, 2:33 PM
Forum Moderator
ssjokg said:

I believe I meant you were right...

11-09-12, 2:41 PM

Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

I believe I meant you were right...

We had an argument and you said "i rest my case".From the english I know that means that somehow I proved your claims....

Anyway, if you meant that my bad....

11-09-12, 2:54 PM

Niyawa said:

You mean any girl that appears for more than 3 episodes.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.

11-09-12, 2:58 PM
Forum Moderator
ssjokg said:
We had an argument and you said "i rest my case".From the english I know that means that somehow I proved your claims....

Anyway, if you meant that my bad....

Oh, I'm not a native english speaker, so from time to time I get retarded like that, my apologies.

BloodRequiem said:

I guess we could use that too.

11-09-12, 2:59 PM

BloodRequiem said:
Niyawa said:

That would be Asuna, Sugu and Yui. Correct for two of those.

11-09-12, 3:11 PM

BloodRequiem said:
Niyawa said:

Now you decreased the number of girls that love him.Unless you count Liz's 2 appearances after her ep as actual screen time.

11-09-12, 6:49 PM

Niyawa said:

Pretty much, but I think meta-reasons for why Suguha likes Kirito are obvious (and boring) enough.
I was only interested in whether the LN explained the situation in some logical way since the anime did not.

Staying in-universe, Suguha is a special case because all of the other girls went with the pattern "Kirito hangs out with me for a bit-> I fall in love with him." What the anime makes Suguha's situation look like is "Kirito goes comatose -> I fall in love with him," which is at least slightly silly and confusing.

11-09-12, 7:04 PM
Forum Moderator
ataraxial said:
Staying in-universe, Suguha is a special case because all of the other girls went with the pattern "Kirito hangs out with me for a bit-> I fall in love with him." What the anime makes Suguha's situation look like is "Kirito goes comatose -> I fall in love with him," which is at least slightly silly and confusing.

That would be another way to look at it. You have a "brother" or friend that you're related with. Suddenly that same brother/friend enters in comatose, and you realize that you really liked being with him and stuff. Now try to put yourself in Suguha's situation. Far as I know, she wasn't very close with him at all. And was trying to close the gap in their relationship (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). That's what makes it inconsistent. The fact that she fell in love with him while they never really had a chance to close that gap.

Again, I believe everyone knows that it's simple a plot device (making Kirito look badass). Because in-universe something like this happening would be pretty rare, if I care to say, unrealistic. But again, I don't want to argue with this because everyone has their circumstances, so while it's "unrealistic" for me. It can be something normal or rather, in the situation, meant to happen.

Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices