Forum Settings
Forums

Gainax or Sunrise? who would you pick to make your mecha fantasy come to life?

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 4, 2009 1:44 PM

Oct 2007
But G Gundam was a Gundam anomaly that most fans didn't enjoy. And I, personally, have never seen any of the other series you've spoken of, although I am well aware of them.
Feb 5, 2009 2:27 PM

Mar 2008
Well yeah, of course it's an anomaly. That's what you asked for, a Sunrise show that deviates from what they normally do.

I'm won't comment on its reception though, because it seems to be a well-received show at every community I visit. We obviously speak with different kinds of anime fans.
Feb 5, 2009 6:23 PM

Oct 2007
I mean that most Gundam fans weren't very receptive to it. And, given the popularity of the Gundam metaseries, G Gundam normally isn't very high on the list.
Feb 5, 2009 6:53 PM

Feb 2008
Black_Kenshin said:
I mean that most Gundam fans weren't very receptive to it. And, given the popularity of the Gundam metaseries, G Gundam normally isn't very high on the list.
Interestingly enough I find a bunch of those UC old-timers to really appreciate G Gundam (as in, actually taking it seriously), I'll never figure out what they see in it.
Feb 6, 2009 1:49 PM

Oct 2008
Orange-kun said:
Black_Kenshin said:
Interestingly enough I find a bunch of those UC old-timers to really appreciate G Gundam (as in, actually taking it seriously), I'll never figure out what they see in it.
because it's the best FUCKING SERIES EVER. and timeline-tards should seriously stop calling themselves gundam fans.
Feb 7, 2009 10:12 AM

Aug 2008
Frito said:
Orange-kun said:
Black_Kenshin said:
because it's the best FUCKING SERIES EVER. and timeline-tards should seriously stop calling themselves gundam fans.

thats right the resun us old UC fans like G gundam is manly becuse wer also super robot fans as well and g gundam cumbins bolth ganras pretty well
Feb 9, 2009 12:16 PM

Oct 2007
otaku1 said:
Frito said:
Orange-kun said:
Black_Kenshin said:

thats right the resun us old UC fans like G gundam is manly becuse wer also super robot fans as well and g gundam cumbins bolth ganras pretty well

I'll forgo commenting on the spelling and grammar here, since it took less than five minutes to figure out. But you're right: although you're not nearly old enough to be in the category you're representing, a very large percentage of the fans of the original UC were also fans of super robot series of that time; Gundam became so popular because it broke away from that, but that didn't mean that these "real mecha" fans were no longer fans of super robot series.

To put it simply, UC's first fans were originally fans of super robot shows like Testsujin 28 and Mazinger Z. They were swayed by the more realistic Gundam, but didn't necessarily renounce their claim to super robot fandom. It's easier, because of that, for them to be fans of super robot series, even a super robot Gundam series, like G Gundam.

On the other hand, most of the current fans- under 35 years of age or so- started off with real robot series, most likely Gundam Wing or one of the Macross series. If not, then the first mech anime they ever saw was Gundam, so that's what they swear by. With this crowd, G Gundam is an abomination.

I can recall watching both Robotech and Voltron a the age of four, and things escalated from there. I don't really have a preference for super or real robots, unless you combine the two. That's just awesome.
Feb 11, 2009 10:01 AM

Aug 2008
Black_Kenshin said:
otaku1 said:
Frito said:
Orange-kun said:
Black_Kenshin said:

I'll forgo commenting on the spelling and grammar here, since it took less than five minutes to figure out. But you're right: although you're not nearly old enough to be in the category you're representing, a very large percentage of the fans of the original UC were also fans of super robot series of that time; Gundam became so popular because it broke away from that, but that didn't mean that these "real mecha" fans were no longer fans of super robot series.

To put it simply, UC's first fans were originally fans of super robot shows like Testsujin 28 and Mazinger Z. They were swayed by the more realistic Gundam, but didn't necessarily renounce their claim to super robot fandom. It's easier, because of that, for them to be fans of super robot series, even a super robot Gundam series, like G Gundam.

On the other hand, most of the current fans- under 35 years of age or so- started off with real robot series, most likely Gundam Wing or one of the Macross series. If not, then the first mech anime they ever saw was Gundam, so that's what they swear by. With this crowd, G Gundam is an abomination.

I can recall watching both Robotech and Voltron a the age of four, and things escalated from there. I don't really have a preference for super or real robots, unless you combine the two. That's just
awesome.

i ma only be 19 but I was rased on mecha shows from the 70s and 80s so i do fit into the catagory thar are only 3 uc serires i havint seen
Feb 11, 2009 2:17 PM
Aug 2008
evangelion and tengen toppa gurren lagan.... do i need to day more?
Feb 12, 2009 6:38 AM

Aug 2008
TADDAIMASU said:
evangelion and tengen toppa gurren lagan.... do i need to day more?

yes thar good desins but sunrise still has more exsperins with mecha I think almost dubbol the ears that gainex has
Feb 14, 2009 3:54 PM

Oct 2007
otaku1 said:
Black_Kenshin said:
otaku1 said:
Frito said:
Orange-kun said:
Black_Kenshin said:

I can recall watching both Robotech and Voltron a the age of four, and things escalated from there. I don't really have a preference for super or real robots, unless you combine the two. That's just
awesome.

i ma only be 19 but I was rased on mecha shows from the 70s and 80s so i do fit into the catagory thar are only 3 uc serires i havint seen

What you grew up watching isn't the point at all. The point is that, at the time of Gundam's origins, there were only super robot shows out there, so the fans of Gundam came from that genre. This means that, naturally, they'd be more likely to accept a super robot Gundam series than anybody else, because they were originally super robot fans that became real robot fans.

As for Evangelion, it's a hybrid robot series, with both real and impossible technologies/abilities involved. Gainax has only been around since the early 1980s, so it's only natural they don't have as much experience with mecha shows. However, what they do have that Sunrise doesn't have is experience outside mecha. And that's critical in deciding which company you'd want to work with.
Jun 11, 2009 8:12 AM
Jun 2009
What you grew up watching isn't the point at all. The point is that, at the time of Gundam's origins, there were only super robot shows out there, so the fans of Gundam came from that genre. This means that, naturally, they'd be more likely to accept a super robot Gundam series than anybody else, because they were originally super robot fans that became real robot fans.

As for Evangelion, it's a hybrid robot series, with both real and impossible technologies/abilities involved. Gainax has only been around since the early 1980s, so it's only natural they don't have as much experience with mecha shows. However, what they do have that Sunrise doesn't have is experience outside mecha. And that's critical in deciding which company you'd want to work with.

Actually, Sunrise also produced Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, Witch Hunter Robin and My-HiME.
Jun 11, 2009 8:25 AM
Jun 2008
Gainax, since people would be psycho-analysing my mecha for the rest of the decade.
Jun 11, 2009 10:07 PM

Oct 2008
I like the mecha designs of the UC-era and thus, I pick Sunrise!

Although later animes from Sunrise seems to lack the quality of previous series, not mentioning that the story itself is less awesome than the original but nonetheless, Sunrise will always be Sunrise!
Jun 14, 2009 2:08 PM

Oct 2008
Sunrise
Jun 24, 2009 9:22 AM

Jan 2009
Sunrise, for some serious stuff......

Gainax, for OVER THE TOP action....
Jun 27, 2009 3:07 PM

Jan 2008
I _wouldn't_ pick sunrise because of their Gundam series but they do make some good non-gundam shows like zegapain(which I jsut finished),sora kake girl and Code Geass.
So that is why I will go with Sunrise.
Jun 28, 2009 3:43 PM
Feb 2008
Sunrise ... one word Gundam!
Aug 17, 2009 6:25 PM

Apr 2009
Sunrise. That place makes my shit, yo.

Then again, Gainax does have Gurren Lagann... :O
Aug 24, 2009 3:13 PM
Jun 2009
gainax...
TTGL!
Oct 11, 2009 4:11 PM

Sep 2009
Gainax. I greatly dislike Sunrise's sound effects and animation quality (to say nothing of the plots...)
Oct 11, 2009 4:29 PM

Sep 2008
I like Sunrise more than Gainax, thats why i prefer the mechas from Sunrise more~
Oct 24, 2009 4:24 AM

Mar 2009
well. SUNRISE too. im a BIG FAN of GUNDAM ever.:D
Nov 30, 2009 4:26 PM

Nov 2007
Gainax all the way :P It's one of the best studios out there imo =) Followed up by Bones :D

Dec 6, 2009 3:31 AM

Oct 2009
Gainax. Although I dislike the way they cram in exra fan service. I dislike the way Sunrise recycle animation at every opportunity they get, even more.
Apr 14, 2010 3:06 PM

Jan 2010
Sunrise, no question about it. Gainax is great and all, but their stuff tends to be more personal than the type of epic that I would want to go for.
May 31, 2010 4:19 PM

Oct 2009
Gainax

Nadesico(yeah i know that it's not a gainax anime but it's the best mecha anime evar!!!!imo)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gunbuster/Diebuster>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Evangelion>>>>>>>>>>>>TTGL>>>>>everything that sunrise made imo
Sep 1, 2010 7:56 PM

Jun 2010
Sunrise,gainax is to goofy to make my mecha "fantasy" come to life.
Oct 17, 2010 12:27 PM
Oct 2008
slax said:
Gainax. I greatly dislike Sunrise's sound effects and animation quality (to say nothing of the plots...)
sylvanelite said:
Gainax. Although I dislike the way they cram in exra fan service. I dislike the way Sunrise recycle animation at every opportunity they get, even more.

You two just went full retard.
Slax, whats wrong with the animation quality of Sunrise's Anime?
Did you ever even watch Gundam Unicorn or 00?
Dont say the quality is shit because you watched some LolSeedShit.
Because honestly, Seed and Seed Destiny are the worst Gundam show's Sunrise ever made.
@sylvanelite
See above^
Dont judge a whole company and its franchise by watching one shitty show they made.
Nov 5, 2010 4:28 PM

Sep 2009
SetsunaF said:

TOLLLOLOLOLOLOLLLLL
Slax, whats wrong with the animation quality of Sunrise's Anime?

*looks at your list*
wow, that's just sad.

Anyway, some classic examples are GaoGaiGar, which had ENTIRE EPISODES of stock footage. Wing, Seed, Heroic Age all follow suit. Sure, you can get good examples, like Turn A (LOL like anyone would want that as their dream series), but IMO, the only sunrise show that has both a decent plot AND decent animation that isn't an OVA is Big O.
Did you ever even watch Gundam Unicorn or 00?

Oh yeah, I'd really rate a show that's had all of 2 episodes aired, because that isn't a stupid thing to do. 00 was boring as sin for 60% of the series, but yes, it was probably the most watchable after Big O. And don't bring up Code geass, go read my review if you want to know why that sucked IMO.

compare Gainax. FLCL, TTGL, Evangelion, Gun/DieBuster. Hmm, such a hard choice.[/sarcasm]
Dont judge a whole company and its franchise by watching one shitty show they made.

Don't judge a company on the ONE good show they made. Seriously, sunrise is like 90% turd (either by bad animation- gundam, or bad plots- everything else), 9% OVA and 1% good material, you're just too much of a mecha newbie to know this.

Course, that said, the two companies not on this list are Bones (Great animation, but really slow series) and Xebec (would be my choice, not great animation like Bones or gainax, but don't suffer from gainax's endings or bones' speed, and still infinitely preferable to Sunrise)
Nov 6, 2010 4:37 PM

Oct 2009

SUCH A COMPELLING ARGUMENT, I MUST AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT I AM WRONG!!

Yeah right.

and because you are obviously full retard, FYI: I didn't even mention SEED in my post.
Jul 2, 2014 5:41 AM

Feb 2012
Sunrise

Collaborating with AIC, Production IG and/or XEBEC.

Maybe Bones, that studio grew out of the team that created Cowboy Bebop, they even collaborated with Sunrise to make the movie.

GAINAX can do some pretty wacky stuff, and I prefer more utilitarian militaristic mecha and even with super robots, I prefer straight lines. Less Gurren Lagann and more GaoGaiGar.
Fortress_MaximusJul 2, 2014 5:45 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 2, 2014 6:10 AM

Feb 2012
Sunrise has some decent CG lately. Gainax is dead.

I'd just want something with scope and a big universe, like FSS. Actually I just want that, except in a complete form. Maybe throw in some elements from Xeno-series of games. Too bad trascended mecha stories always have some issues with execution.

Alternatively I'd want to see Shin Great Mazinger done by Trigger.
Dec 20, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
I prefer Sunrise but I also really like Gainax because of NGE and Gurren Lagann.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Feb 21, 2017 5:48 AM

Feb 2017
Sunrise
Mar 23, 2021 3:05 PM

Feb 2012
Gainax is pretty much dead now. After SSSS.GRIDMAN and the fact how much Trigger are Transformers fans, I can trust them to do a Super Robot series in any style; the blocky build with straight edges of a Brave or the curved organic look of a Gunnman.

Still Sunrise or an I.G Port studio for Real Robot, though.
Fortress_MaximusMar 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 23, 2023 12:39 AM
Dec 2011
I consider Code Geass (so Sunrise it is)  as the number 1 mecha anime. The mecha technical evolution is my primary preference in not only engines but shields, and manipulators as well.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite Unit

Revillo_Phoenix - Dec 2, 2008

43 by Nerogranz »»
Aug 17, 2023 1:35 PM

» Mecha building contest

willyvereb - Dec 2, 2008

15 by DreamingGhost »»
May 29, 2023 4:58 AM

Poll: » Wich is the best Gundam (TV) Series? ( 1 2 3 )

3rr0R - Aug 26, 2008

116 by DreamingGhost »»
May 26, 2023 8:22 PM

» Favorite Masami Obari mech design?

removed-user - Oct 17, 2017

1 by Mango-man-dangO »»
May 24, 2019 9:53 AM

» [code]Favorite Masami Obari mech design?[/code]

removed-user - Oct 17, 2017

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 17, 2017 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.