Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Oct 29 - Nov 4

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 7, 2012 11:30 PM

Sep 2012
Nachtwandler_21 said:
It had pretty visuals and music but that's all. characters were quite cliché, mostly plain and had almost none real progress. Mystery part was totally childish and plot in general was very boring. Not to mention all this trolling with opportunity of romance which ended with no real result.
Thing is, KyoAni likes a challenge and they like to put their stamp on the thing they adapted. It always strives to "improve" on the original work - it happened with K-On, it happened with Nichijou and it happened with Hyouka too (and of course the current Cuunibyou is another prime example) Also, Hyouka is no childish mystery. In fact it has some pretty serious theme (just the reason why Hyouka is called Hyouka is very thought-provoking) -- and when KyoAni announced it was to animate it, people just could not see how this novel (classified as Mystery Novel not Light Novel mind you) could be like to be animated - the long conversations, the slow moving plot, the mysteries that shed light more on the characters themselves than the details of the mysteries (and those "mysteries" seem to be no such big deal on the surface). KyoAni put in a lot of effort to spice things up and make sure it is an ANIMATION instead of a novel that walks and talks. And it can be argued that they did a job too zealous and perhaps ended up diluting the power of the text (which is not easy to adapt anyway) and distracting attention (must the details be so meticulously animated?), but I would still commend it for trying its best to adapt the novel and make it its own.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 8, 2012 7:29 AM

Nov 2010
I see that people still try to believe that people who are liking Kyo-Ani works are blinded viewers who watch KyoAni just because it's KyoAni.

Leaving animation quality that pretty much has almost no contestant in current TV series category, they also made a good direction and had a lot of bravery to adapt many different things (And gambles. Endless eight? Adaptations of very unpopular LN? Who the heck thinking a collaboration of Mystery and very slow slice of life could work like what they did?).

Chuunibyou is a kind of the perfection of their post-K-ON! works (I saw some comedy elements of Nichijou and graphical styles of Hyouka) and their past experiences of their old successes and failures. I still can't believe that almost all of the characters except the main trio are original characters, and I saw many original plot as well...

I may sound pretty fanboyish, but I can't see my points as something that is extremely biased. Ah, okay, I'll cut my post here since it's actually OOT...
Nov 8, 2012 7:51 AM
Sep 2012
^ Haruhi is a very popular novel and in fact the most popular by far. You may want to credit Tanigawa though for making Haruhi a success rather than kyoani. They take gambles but almost all studios / producers take gambles too. Its just that Hatta chose to adapt e8 very close to the original thing leaving new fans upset and LN fans satisfied rather than satisfying both groups. Also I agree with you on your take on Chu2koi if they go the "rikka is sick" route and not follow the novel route because it will be a great success. Imagine all of those rikka fans dropping their jaws out!
Nov 9, 2012 12:02 PM

Jan 2009
Glad to see Strike Witches in first position!
Nov 10, 2012 11:13 AM

Nov 2010
bippo said:
^ Haruhi is a very popular novel and in fact the most popular by far. You may want to credit Tanigawa though for making Haruhi a success rather than kyoani. They take gambles but almost all studios / producers take gambles too. Its just that Hatta chose to adapt e8 very close to the original thing leaving new fans upset and LN fans satisfied rather than satisfying both groups.
Also I agree with you on your take on Chu2koi if they go the
route and not follow the novel route because it will be a great success. Imagine all of those rikka fans dropping their jaws out!

Actually I wasn't referring to Haruhi when I said "very unpopular LN". It supposed to be "very unpopular materials", since it was meant to the likes of Hyouka, Nichijou and Lucky star.

And you should have spoiler tagged the spoiler :p
Nov 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
Maybe it's a good move to sell the first volumes so early? You think it has anything to do with that?
It would be interesting to see more series set a sale schedule similar to K if it is believed to be one of the reasons for it's (assumed) success.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 12, 2012 1:29 PM

Feb 2010
I was actually referring to both of these (seperately and in combination). It seems like a rather unique sales model as a whole, and if the expectations really turn out to be that much below the actual sales I'd say it's not that far-fetched to link those two uncommon events together. Of course it's hard/impossible to tell what's going on in the heads of each fan, so it's just speculation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 12, 2012 8:44 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I definitely expected K to do significantly better than Stalker's Amazon-based predictions. But we might be in for a surprise as to exactly how much better.
K is an interesting case. It will outsell Stalker's prediction not only because it seems to be very store-front skewed, but also even in Amazon its main sale seems to be loaded overwhelmingly towards the period after the Stalker stops counting (i.e. after the discs went on sale). It only went to a high-ish place after the actual sales date and any real boost by the latest tear-jerking ep.6 happened only after the sales date too. In fact I now wonder whether the sales date of K vol.1&2 are timed to match the broadcast date of ep.6.

Another I am interested to see is Amazon is now doing a wagon sale and a couple of BDs got very deep discount (Boku H vol.1 and all Nichijou BDs were selling at around 1600 Yen !) and for a few days last week Total Eclipse vol.1 all climbed to very high place at #30 or so. Not sure if it will show up in Oricon at all though as sale in Amazon alone may not be enough to push those titles into Oricon chart.
symbvNov 12, 2012 8:48 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 10, 2012 10:40 AM

Apr 2010
Poor Shinsekai Yori. I wonder if they regret giving that 2 cour from the start with how terrible its sales are... at least its moved some novels.

Oh yeah, I wanted to post this too but didn't see a sales topic earlier:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/12/09-1/amazon-japan-reveals-2012s-top-anime-comic

Anime:

1. "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" vol. 5 (Blu-ray)
2. "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" vol. 4 (Blu-ray)
3. "K-ON! The Movie" First Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
4. "Fate/Zero" Blu-ray Disc Box I
5. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 1 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
6. "Bakemonogatari" Blu-ray Disc Box
7. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 2 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
8. "Strike Witches the Movie" Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
9. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 5 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
10. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 4 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

Manga:
1. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" vol. 13 (Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)
2. "One Piece" vol. 65 (Eiichiro Oda)
3. "To Love Ru Darkness" Vol. 5 Limited Edition with Anime DVD (Saki Hasemi & Kentaro Yabuki)
4. "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" Wide Edition 7 Volume Set (Hayao Miyazaki)
5. "Hunter x Hunter" vol.30 (Yoshihiro Togashi)
6. "Thermae Romae" vol.5 (Mari Yamazaki)
7. "Sangatsu no Lion" vol.7 (Chica Umino)
8. "Mujaki no Rakuen" vol.1 (Uran)
9. "Hyakushou Kizoku" vol.2 (Hiromu Arakawa)
10. "Silver Spoon" vol.4 (Hiromu Arakawa)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Novel 'Ganbatte Ikimasshoi' Gets Anime Movie

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

5 by kihel »»
5 minutes ago

» 'Yuru Camp△' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - 6 hours ago

6 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
11 hours ago

» 'Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest' Unveils Main Staff, Summer 2024 Premiere

Vindstot - Mar 11

25 by Juventinoaymen »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.