Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2012 10:00 AM
Sep 2012
<font><font>symbv</font></font> said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
Just to make sure, the inconsistent thing was that Saki had the power to give mantra back to Satorou, but she didn't do it when her group was chased by those queerats. So basically a miracle conveniently happened to make the plot progressed.
That would not be called inconsistent, but a development too sudden because there is little hint about their sharing mantra in the past. Though it is not that unreasonable as I have explained: 1) Even in real life you may only remember certain way to do things only later or when pushed; 2) Mantra implant needs to work on a subconscious level.

Takana_no_Hana said:

Saki and Satourou were trapped, I was excited to see what kind of situation they would been through and what would happen next, not just regained the power and started killing queerats, and what the heck? Saki power was just popped up from nowhere.
What Saki power??

That said, I would definitely agree that the anime cut out too much about the hardship they went through in the tunnels. If they had followed the novel closer, there would not be confusing inflammable gas, the poison gas attack and its draining effect on Satoru and Saki would be much clearer, Saki's hallucination and Saki's trick of reintroducing Satoru's mantra back to Satoru would be clearer. And his desire to take revenge once he got his power back would be a little more understandable too.

Takana_no_Hana said:
That kind of plot was just so mediocre, the best episode so far was episode 4 (bloody history), even though there were lots of talking but it was exciting and entertaining at best.
Quite some people think ep.4 is mediocre though because a device suddenly making appearance and spewed out a bunch of expository information.. Well I consider that episode and this episode both decent, so my point is Mileage varies.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Not to mention about the other friends like Shun, Maria. Satorou had the power, why didn't he use it to search for them?
Use the power to search for them? I wonder what should he do to search for them? He is in an enemy infested territory so it is not as if he can build a high platform and then look for them. The cantus power does not seem to include superhuman eyesight either (at least not for Satoru).

On the other hand, I would say that Saki was being sensible when she asked Satoru not to pursue too deep into the enemy area when he has just got his power back. Satoru was definitely being over-confident and also too attached to the idea of hitting back at the rats (who dared to capture, wound and later tried to gas him).

Takana_no_Hana said:
And obviously the power he had also has some defend mechanism like blocking those arrows, rocks and he said it was better use for offense.
The key word is "better". It is not that the power cannot be used for defense but it is BETTER used for offense. The nature of the power is to destroy and attack, not to protect and shield. The power cannot do something like creating a magic shield around you to stop projectile attacks, or help you watch your back against sneak attack. The point is that if there is just one person with power, he is still risky if he only wants to defend when he is surrounded by enemies and they attack sneakily from all directions.

Thank you very much for all the info.

I had not fully understood the chapter, but now I understand better.
Konja6Nov 3, 2012 10:18 AM
Nov 3, 2012 10:38 AM

Sep 2012
My only concern with this episode was the whole mind-tripping that probably wasn't explained as it should have been, for the rest, you just have to think a little bit to understand it.

It was clear since the first episode that this anime would not spoonfeed us everythings, so before calling something a plothole or a nonsense, try to analyse a bit the situation.
Nov 3, 2012 10:42 AM
Oct 2009
symbv said:
theamato said:
what exactly is a mantra? i must i have missed this in the earlier episodes.

is it just some word or phrase that allows the psychics to concentrate? what is so special about it?
Think mantra as a switch in your body that allows you to invoke the Cantus power in you. Without it you cannot invoke your power. Each person has his/her unique mantra and is implanted by priests during his/her initiation rite, to be used for the rest of his/her life.

Actually it is a control mechanism because without it a human can easily lose control of his/her power (for example, allowing poltergeist phenomenon whilst you are asleep) and this can be dangerous. What the initiation rite does is to get each kid to surrender his power (which he may not have full control) and replaced with a mantra-controlled mechanism that allows better control and focus for his power. (In the rite, things like "death feedback" mechanism will also be tested but that is another thing).

thank you. i also want to say that i always read the episode threads when i'm done watching, looking for your responses for clarification on a few things. i really appreciate it.

seriously, if this novel wasn't written in runes, i would read the shit out of it.
Nov 3, 2012 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
AiCon said:
Wild_Boy said:
Most enjoyable episode yet.

Takana_no_Hana said:
I knew that she returned his mantra back, but the thing I didn't know that she has the power to do so, and why she didn't use it sooner after the monk was killed so she could return everyone's mantra back.

She only knows Satoru's mantra. That's what the classroom scene was about. Not sure why she didn't do it earlier, maybe the idea never crossed her mind.
Not sure why Saki didn't bother to ask Satoru to do the same to her when they still relatively safe after they first came out of that hole. It would have made things a lot easier on the both of them had she done that.

Saki couldn't have asked Satoru because Satoru didn't know her mantra. Only Saki knew Satoru's. In the classroom scene, when they "exchange" mantras none of them can read in that second what the other's mantra is. BUT Saki, after Satoru leaves, Takes the papers on top of which Satoru wrote his mantra and does that pencil trick which allows her to read what was written on the paper above. That's because Satoru, when he wrote his mantra, pressed his pencil a bit too much thats why everything got "carved" in the papers under it. It's a trick that works great in real life too :)))

That being said, I don't think there is any kind of "special power to return the mantra". Saki didn't have any kind of special power to do so, it's just that if you remember the monk scene, he said he will make them "forget" THEIR mantras. Saki remembers Satoru's mantra because she saw it written, that's all. And that's what she is whispering to him in his ear: his mantra. I suppose the monk didn't make them forget all mantras, only their own :P
MorridineNov 3, 2012 10:46 AM
Nov 3, 2012 10:56 AM
Oct 2012
SetsukoHara said:
My only concern with this episode was the whole mind-tripping that probably wasn't explained as it should have been, for the rest, you just have to think a little bit to understand it.

It was clear since the first episode that this anime would not spoonfeed us everythings, so before calling something a plothole or a nonsense, try to analyse a bit the situation.

Your comments were very apropos, I would like to add the following observation: plot holes can only be identified after the plot is completed, not during.

What one may see as a "plot hole" might be a clue the author positioned to make us wonder what is really going on. One might as well complain that all mysteries have "plot holes" because the author didn't explain who the murderer was at the beginning of the novel.

Now on completion one can look back and say "hey that made no sense" and those are the novels that leave the greatest sense of disappointment, but conversely the most enjoyable works are those which seemingly have gaping plot holes, but upon completing the work you look back and see how everything now makes complete sense and those "holes" actually were pointing you to the proper conclusion.
Nov 3, 2012 11:01 AM
Oct 2012
theamato said:

seriously, if this novel wasn't written in runes, i would read the shit out of it.

Thank you for that, I snorted my coffee all over my keyboard upon reading it.

Runes hell, runes are easy, there are only 20-30 of them. More like Hieroglyphics :-)
Nov 3, 2012 11:18 AM

Sep 2012
^ Somehow people in the west seem to like to call Japanese language Runes or Moonspeak... Took me a while to get used to it.
symbvNov 3, 2012 11:51 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 3, 2012 11:33 AM

May 2011
When I read all that is written in here... Sometimes I wonder if some of us pay attention to what they are watching before complaining or asking tons of question.

If at this point, you didn't get how Saki knew his mantra... I don't know what you all watched cuz It was very clear how she knew it. Maybe this anime requires that you pay more attention and think a little, if you don't feel like doing it... then maybe it's not for you.
Nov 3, 2012 11:56 AM

Aug 2011
I knew it was going to end as a shitty cliffhanger.

And yeah. Saki should've had Satoru do the same thing to her so she could have her cantus as well.
Nov 3, 2012 12:01 PM
Nov 2011
DraconisMarch said:
I knew it was going to end as a shitty cliffhanger.

And yeah. Saki should've had Satoru do the same thing to her so she could have her cantus as well.
are you trolling?
Nov 3, 2012 12:15 PM

Sep 2012
pinotto90 said:
DraconisMarch said:
are you trolling?
Seems a guy who jumped in without reading posts and discussion we've already made. Not going to waste time if the person is not willing to spend some of his time learning what has already been discussed.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 3, 2012 12:28 PM

Oct 2011
Damn, those rat creatures seemed shady as hell all throughout this episode and moreso after squealer's reaction to Saki :/
Hope nothing bad happens to Satoru. I've been rooting for him since last week lol.
Nov 3, 2012 12:34 PM

Mar 2009
theamato said:

Yeah, it's a pretty good novel. Aidoru Translations is putting out a translation of the first two chapters, with a glossary of terms included.

However, Aidoru won't be releasing the whole novel. Hopefully with the recent announcement of Yuusuke Kishi's works (including Shinsekai Yori) as being made available in eBook format on Amazon's Japanese-language store (for use on the Kindle Paperwhite, the first Kindle to support Japanese), more interest in a legitimate English translation will lead to such a release happening in the future.
Nov 3, 2012 1:40 PM
Nov 2012
The one whe's doing grown up Shun's voice sound more feminine then the WOMAN who voiced young Shun.

At least that how he sounded like in the roles i heard him play.
Nov 3, 2012 2:55 PM

Oct 2011
I'm happy this episode was well animated, really good.
Nov 3, 2012 3:51 PM

Feb 2010
great episode.. enjoyed every minute.... next episode will probably be crazy.
Nov 3, 2012 4:02 PM

Oct 2010
couldn't they just tell each other there mantra's? or after loosing there powers did they forget there own? but then be all happy and cool with there powers back?
Nov 3, 2012 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
So, ep 5 was so crappy that it made the beggining of this ep hard to understand to. If I hadn't read it here, I would've thought that the effect of the poison gas was a dream and that Satoru was just sleeping.

Other than that, I can't really see why people think this is hard to understand or needs more attention. It's not hard to understand AT ALL, except when they do a crappy direction job and leave everything truncated, like they did in ep 5.

Though the point raised about why couldn't satoru have just created a barrier and levitated Saki and himself to safety was good. There was no reason for him to care about the rat war and he would not be in such danger.

And the animation is better but it's still far from what it was in the initial eps.

theamato said:

LOL. They should just write everything in hiragana. It would be much simpler. Hell, they should just romanize their words. But yeah, culture and stuff...
Nov 3, 2012 4:51 PM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
Shoujo_Q said:
This. I think some people just don't have the cognitive ability and/or the patience to figure it out.
One thing I really want to say:

This show really demands focus and thinking.
though I would say that sometimes the directing in the anime may make things confusing or hard to understand...

No one pays attention anymore, and it's a shame. Maybe that's why Shitty Art Online is so popular (then again, I kinda liked Guilty Crown).

This anime has an amazing director being able to create the atmosphere and setting. It keeps me interested and looking forward to the next episode while not leaving so many questions that it becomes irritating (which is apparent with this kind of speculative fiction genre).
Nov 3, 2012 5:13 PM
Sep 2012
<font><font>m4rc0</font></font> said:
So, ep 5 was so crappy that it made the beggining of this ep hard to understand to. If I hadn't read it here, I would've thought that the effect of the poison gas was a dream and that Satoru was just sleeping.

Other than that, I can't really see why people think this is hard to understand or needs more attention. It's not hard to understand AT ALL, except when they do a crappy direction job and leave everything truncated, like they did in ep 5.

Though the point raised about why couldn't satoru have just created a barrier and levitated Saki and himself to safety was good. There was no reason for him to care about the rat war and he would not be in such danger.

And the animation is better but it's still far from what it was in the initial eps.

I do not think Satoru can create a barrier, he can stop the arrows (I guess he has to see arrows). If they levitate would become an easy target (attack them everywhere), then it will be more difficult to stop the arrows.

Also, he has been very tense and tired. I guess he wants to help the rats (who helped first).
Nov 3, 2012 6:00 PM

Mar 2008
It's possible. Unfortunately, they didn't really show us the limits of the powers, so all we can do is guess.

But I don't think he cares about the rats.
Nov 3, 2012 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Nichibotsu-kaeru said:
couldn't they just tell each other there mantra's? or after loosing there powers did they forget there own? but then be all happy and cool with there powers back?

They forgot their own mantras, but Saki knew Satoru's mantra. Satoru never knew Saki's mantra.
Nov 3, 2012 6:35 PM

Oct 2009
great ep

ssf4ae (pc) : misterCybou
sc2 : CybE // 665
Nov 3, 2012 7:40 PM

May 2011
symbv said:
OG-3 said:
I still don't understand how did Satoru get is powers back. Well, it doesn't matter. I hope next ep will be better.
In short:
He was prevented from remembering the mantra needed to invoke his power and Saki took the advantage of Satoru's confused state (caused by poison gas) to trick Satoru into believing he undergoes the initiation rite again where he learns the mantra (which was told by Saki into his ear as she somehow knew what mantra Satoru uses)

I don't think it was poison gas.. I think it was hypoxia due to lack of oxygen. They were stuck in an enclosed space. Saki knew Satoru's mantra. So she used his semi-conscious state to reenact the ceremony. Also why she rushed Satoru to break the ceiling to get to open air.

I get the feeling the kids never lost their powers. It's just that they are psychology conditioned to think that their powers are tied to "mantras" and that they can be taken away by leaders. It seems like post-hypnotic suggestions bind them to certain rules, such as the "death feedback" effect the Monk was experiencing.
Nov 3, 2012 7:55 PM

Jun 2008
I think this episode can be understood quite well without any help. The only thin I can't put my mind around is why they care so much about killing the rats.

It would be easier and safer to run or find shelter with the help of Satoru's new found powers. Even if they wanted revenge badly, I think they're main priority has to be going home and find their friends. It seems a bit unnecessary all this trouble they're going trough. Specially if there ir a chance they can go and find help to deal with the rats later.

I didn't read the novel, so I can only talk about what I watched in the show.
Nov 3, 2012 8:19 PM
Oct 2012
Miah said:
I think this episode can be understood quite well without any help. The only thin I can't put my mind around is why they care so much about killing the rats.

The rats are humanoid in appearance so subconsciously it is causing a reaction to what their conditioning causes when they kill humans. Consider it a weakness in their conditioning.

Plus I think Saki is smart enough to think something isn't quite right. I haven't read the novels, so have no idea what is going to happen, but I personally wouldn't be so trusting of their "good rats".
Nov 3, 2012 11:57 PM

Mar 2009
TehIshter said:
No one pays attention anymore, and it's a shame. Maybe that's why Shitty Art Online is so popular (then again, I kinda liked Guilty Crown).

Well, there's a difference between enjoying a show on a baser, action-packed level and actually enjoying a show that provokes thought and contains actual depth.

Both have their place, but it's clear that Shinsekai Yori is aiming at the latter.
Nov 4, 2012 12:13 AM

Sep 2012
Cirris said:
I don't think it was poison gas.. I think it was hypoxia due to lack of oxygen. They were stuck in an enclosed space.
It may look that way in the anime, but in the novel it is because of poison gas.

Nov 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Sep 2012
Miah said:

It would be easier and safer to run or find shelter with the help of Satoru's new found powers. Even if they wanted revenge badly, I think they're main priority has to be going home and find their friends. It seems a bit unnecessary all this trouble they're going trough. Specially if there ir a chance they can go and find help to deal with the rats later.

- Over-confidence on the part of Satoru. He thinks with his power back he can finish everything in no time.

- He considers the foreign rats a real threat (dared to capture, wound and gas him) and he wants to clear the threat now and here

- His desire to take revenge (capture, wound and gas again)

- Once he realized it is not that easy, he is already too deep in enemy territory

- The continuing pleading and nudging of Squealers, whose tribe, which obeys the village, is almost wiped out.

Nov 4, 2012 12:22 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The rats are humanoid in appearance so subconsciously it is causing a reaction to what their conditioning causes when they kill humans. Consider it a weakness in their conditioning.

This is a common misunderstanding but it is critical to banish this idea if we want to understand the world in this novel/anime. I have written it before in the ep.5 thread and earlier in this thread ( http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124597 )

But in short:

There is absolutely no ill-effect for a human to use power to attack or kill queerats. Not in the case of the priest, not in the case of Satoru

Everyone should repeat it a few times to make sure it sticks ;-)

There is absolutely no ill-effect for a human to use power to attack or kill queerats. Not in the case of the priest, not in the case of Satoru

Nov 4, 2012 1:28 AM

Mar 2012
This was a really good episode, and a considerable improvement over the previous, but, unfortunately, it still feels noticeably lacking in comparison to the initial four episodes, due, in large part, to flawed, inconsistent execution. As such, the indistinct, surrealistic touches within the last two episodes, such as Saki's brief hallucination here and the collapse of the cave in the previous episode, disrupt the coherency of the narrative, creating, in effect, a disconnected sort of storytelling.

Saki's brief hallucination was interesting, but ultimately confusing, particularly Shun's transformation into a minoshiro, which, though it seemingly held some importance, there wasn't any indicated meaning behind that portion of her bizarre vision. I quite liked how she used her memories to realize Satoru's mantra, though this moment would have likely been a bit more effective if this scene had occurred in a previous episode, rather then it being first mentioned by way of a newly discovered memory. My favorite sequence involved Saki opening Satoru's Cantus, as she recited the ritualistic words, while he began to scream in pain. It was a superbly realized sequence, and extremely atmospheric. I also like that, following his unexpected freedom, Satoru displays a temporary affinity for brutality, as he seemingly relished the ability to inflict violence, while also displaying a certain naivety, due to his unceasing desire to take the offensive. His thoughts and actions also appear to portray symptoms that could eventually turn him into a fiend or karma demon.

It was quite surprising to find out that the Ground Spiders can assume different forms, which might potentially infer that their original form was that of a human. Squealer remains a complex, thoroughly mysterious character. The strange, foreboding framing within his brief appearances and the final, disturbing reaction he provided upon becoming suspicious of the possibility that Saki may not, in fact, currently wield the powers that they so fear and revere, indicates that he could be much more knowledgeable of their situation than he's willing to admit. He definitely seems to have slight ulterior motives, since he purposefully led them down a dangerous path for his own selfish gain. The ending alludes to further deception from him, since Saki and Satoru find themselves surrounded by the enemy, and, for whatever reason, the queerats appear to be unafraid. As such, the cliffhanger at the end was terrific in establishing the tense, unsettling tone for the next episode, and I'm really looking looking forward to seeing how they survive their imminent, extremely dangerous struggle.

Satoru and Saki's interactions are great and increasingly engaging, since they've both gradually developed into a calmer understanding of one another and their emotions, rather than the innocently volatile interactions of their former youth, illustrated excellently in the brief opening, in which they confess to one another that they wouldn't have survived without the other, subtly, but effectively highlighting the gradual change in the nuances of their dynamic. Aside from the opening sequence, Saki's characterization was rather weak and repetitive in comparison to previous episodes, since, throughout the latter half of this episode, she was essentially a perpetually voiced plea for restraint and nothing more. Satoru was greatly intriguing throughout, as, following his Cantus returning, he begins to display a sort of ruthless, yet understandable, savagery towards the Ground Spider colony. It will be interesting to see what sort of consequences await his character; whether, due to human nature, he was predisposed to an inevitable lust for chaotic bloodshed or was it simply a direct result of his sudden energy and awakened focus. I also enjoyed how well the broad strength of his powers was depicted, such as the moment he uprooted several trees without much difficulty.

The production values, for the most part, remain excellent, but, though quite improved over the last episode, the direction was disappointing and thoroughly unspectacular, and the editing was middling and occasionally disconcerting, due to it's haphazard manner of complicating the intended meaning behind several moments. Musically, this episode was quite good, but somewhat inconsistent. The musical selection that was used during the scene in which Saki reawakens Satoru's Cantus was particularly beautiful, illuminating a distinctly wistful melancholy, which contrasted the painful process within the moment in a wonderfully complementary manner. There were a few selections though, such as the majority of those used during the few action sequences, that weren't nearly as effective or suitably atmospheric as the others. The scene transitions were far better throughout, allowing for a more comprehensive, understandable view of the situation, rather than the chaotic uncertainty derived from the poor transitions that plagued the last episode.

This episode was visually subdued, since, above all, there was a noticeable lack of striking imagery, which typically suffuses each episode. I love that the original character designs have returned, since the altered versions were much less impressive and they certainly weren't well-suited for extended movement. The animation was, thankfully, much improved over the last episode. The CGI, on the other hand, was quite jarring and far too prevalent, distracting most notably during one of the final attacks, as boulders flew towards Saki and Satoru.

All in all, despite several flaws of a, hopefully, temporary nature, From the New World contiues to excel with a considerably intriguing narrative and increasingly interesting characters, as well as it's excellent depiction of a desolate, seemingly abandoned society. Although the writing and, by extension, the story, continues to be fantastic and endlessly compelling, the mediocre direction has, over the last two episodes, diminished the satisfaction of several important moments, essentially faltering, if only slightly, in an area that was one of it's strongest elements before the last two episodes.
Nov 4, 2012 1:42 AM

Aug 2009
Every time I see queerats being killed, I feel sick. I just can't stop thinking that the queerats are actually humans with no Psychokinesis and the kids are just hypnotized to see them as beasts. Even in episode 5, the blow dog seemed like a suicide bomber, the bones seemed like shurikens (their weapons?), and the egg seemed like a grenade. It's as if everything they see are illusions and they're actually doing bad by killing queerats using PK...
Nov 4, 2012 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
VerneJules said:
Every time I see queerats being killed, I feel sick. I just can't stop thinking that the queerats are actually humans with no Psychokinesis and the kids are just hypnotized to see them as beasts.
Except they are not hypnotized to see them as beasts. They truly see them as beasts.
VerneJules said:
Even in episode 5, the blow dog seemed like a suicide bomber, the bones seemed like shurikens (their weapons?), and the egg seemed like a grenade.
Just one thing:
The egg is not a blow dog's but a kind of snake's. They produce this kind of eggs to protect their nest - if a predator comes and eat the egg, thinking it is the real egg, then it will be killed once the egg is inside and gets digested.

Nov 4, 2012 1:25 AM

Apr 2010
I have to say that this episode was very confusing.

Saki went on a trip to rainbow land, and then Shun turned into the "library" huh? Really didn't make much sense. I can only guess, but was it for Saki gain confidence so that she could restore Satoru's Cantus or was there a more spiritual thingy that just randomly popped up or it is a symbol for something later in the anime? Why did she go to rainbow land, was it because she was dying or was she high for some reason? I really hope that those questions will be answered in an understandable way later on. So many questions from just that ONE scene.

I really hope that the novel will be translated from those hieroglyphics into a readable language xD things would probably make much more sense and it would be exciting to read Saki's thoughts. But I guess that I have to re-watch all the other episodes once more, don't remember much.
Nov 4, 2012 1:27 AM

Sep 2012
dwanex said:

Saki went on a trip to rainbow land, and then Shun turned into the "library" huh? Really didn't make much sense. I can only guess, but was it for Saki gain confidence so that she could restore Satoru's Cantus or was there a more spiritual thingy that just randomly popped up or it is a symbol for something later in the anime? Why did she go to rainbow land, was it because she was dying or was she high for some reason? I really hope that those questions will be answered in an understandable way later on. So many questions from just that ONE scene. .
This may help you
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18125005

You may also want to check my other posts in this thread (two of which I include here)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124597
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124629

If you come to a Shinsekai Yori thread a few days after its first broadcast date (like now), you may want to check the old posts first because we usually go over all the confusions and details about the events in the episode in the first day or two after its broadcast.

Nov 4, 2012 1:35 AM

Apr 2010
symbv said:
dwanex said:

Saki went on a trip to rainbow land, and then Shun turned into the "library" huh? Really didn't make much sense. I can only guess, but was it for Saki gain confidence so that she could restore Satoru's Cantus or was there a more spiritual thingy that just randomly popped up or it is a symbol for something later in the anime? Why did she go to rainbow land, was it because she was dying or was she high for some reason? I really hope that those questions will be answered in an understandable way later on. So many questions from just that ONE scene. .
This may help you
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18125005

You may also want to check my other posts in this thread (two of which I include here)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124597
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124629

Thanks, but I really have to say that scene was some abstract stuff. Still doesn't make sense why Shun appeared and became a "library".
Nov 4, 2012 1:41 AM

Sep 2012
dwanex said:
I really have to say that scene was some abstract stuff. Still doesn't make sense why Shun appeared and became a "library".
This is hallucination stuff you know. That is not supposed to make sense anyway. All we can tell is Shun and the Library are some of things that made the deepest impression to her which is why she saw them in her hallucination.

Nov 4, 2012 7:00 AM

Aug 2010
Looks like saki figured at least some of the lies out when she hypnotized satorou in his sleep, making him believe he has his powers back. I wonder when she overcomes her own belief that her powers were taken from her.

Other than that, I'm a bit suspicious about those allied queerats
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 4, 2012 11:57 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:

This is a common misunderstanding but it is critical to banish this idea if we want to understand the world in this novel/anime. I have written it before in the ep.5 thread and earlier in this thread ( http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=512527&show=40#msg18124597 )

But in short:

Everyone should repeat it a few times to make sure it sticks ;-)

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here :-)

Curious should I have been able to pick this up from the episodes I have watched, or is this something you know from the novels? This work is dense enough that I could have easily have missed something. Would be nice to know whether there is something to look for, rather than to waste time looking for something that isn't there yet.
Nov 4, 2012 1:02 PM

Feb 2012
I felt bad when Satoru killed all those queerats, doubt he can do anything against that army.
Nov 4, 2012 1:43 PM

Jun 2011
The war against those spiders is kinda boring me a little. I hope this doesn't last forever.

A good episode, though, but, where are the others? We'll see them?
"Nobody knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite"- Rintarou Okabe
Nov 4, 2012 2:02 PM

Jul 2012
Saki,did you ate some strange mushroom? you are seeing some strange things.
Nov 4, 2012 2:28 PM

Jul 2010
Still pretty hard to following this series. What are they even doing exactly? I wonder how the rest of the group's doing too.

Nov 4, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
This is a quality series.
Nov 4, 2012 4:46 PM

Aug 2009
The entire episode summarized in 4 lines:
"SATORI STAHP"
"NO I KILL DEM"
"STAHP!!"
"NO!!"

It was frustrating and incredibly boring.
I still have hope for this anime though, since I loved the first and fourth episode. I just hope the seventh will be awesome as well.
Nov 4, 2012 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
I'm loving this anime very much but I still don't know what the heck is going on lol

I'm glad I started this serie today and not at the beginning of the season (the plot is very, very, VERY slow; it just started what the summary said with those last episodes orz)
NemuriNezumiNov 4, 2012 7:04 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Nov 4, 2012 7:15 PM

Feb 2012
Seems like Saki went on a serious acid trip.
Now that i think about it, this entire series is pretty trippy. Things went from a simple trip, to almost sex-scene, to some random war with rats and Saki suddenly having the power to bring people's Mantra back (does everyone have that power or something assuming you know their mantra name? She's got really good memory to memorize that entire ceremony).

Those rats are up to something. The nervous twitch when Saki protested against going into the bamboo forest gave me a bad vibe.
VyudaliNov 4, 2012 7:22 PM
Nov 4, 2012 8:03 PM

Dec 2010
what the hell man, this ep was just Satoru fucking shit up
Nov 4, 2012 8:44 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Curious should I have been able to pick this up from the episodes I have watched, or is this something you know from the novels?
My most major criticism about the anime is how it manages to confuse watchers and misleads them to draw wrong conclusion. I am fine about room of interpretation so if someone said Saki's hallucination was caused by lack of air instead of poison gas, I would not complain much. But this is different, because the whole story of Shinsekai Yori is based squarely on the relationship between human and squeerats, and the novel makes it very clear from early on that human is at a dominant position over sqeerats and would not hesitate to use violence against them if they think it is needed. They only tolerate the rats because they provide cheap source of labor and treat them just a little above the beasts. Without this understanding, it is likely that wrong conclusion will be drawn in subsequent scenes in the story, which would not be the intention when reading the novel.

Takuan_Soho said:
Would be nice to know whether there is something to look for, rather than to waste time looking for something that isn't there yet.
Basically any "evidence" you saw that seems to imply human gets hurt when he attacks sqeerats is not "evidence". It is just interpretation drawn from the anime that goes against what is made clear in the novel. I would say the anime definitely has not done a good job to establish this fact unequivocally, as the ability and willingness of human to attack and kill squeerats with abandon is a major theme in this novel.

Nov 5, 2012 3:05 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
Except they are not hypnotized to see them as beasts. They truly see them as beasts.
This part, I didn't quite get. Not sure if you're saying that squeerats are really beasts, or that PK users seeing older PK-less humans as squeerats not by hypnotism but by other means such as genetic manipulation.
symbv said:
VerneJules said:
Even in episode 5, the blow dog seemed like a suicide bomber, the bones seemed like shurikens (their weapons?), and the egg seemed like a grenade.
Just one thing:
The egg is not a blow dog's but a kind of snake's. They produce this kind of eggs to protect their nest - if a predator comes and eat the egg, thinking it is the real egg, then it will be killed once the egg is inside and gets digested.
Well, sorry for my misleading sentence. Yeah, I know it wasn't the blow dog's egg. But if the idea that squeerats are humans is true and that they're just seeing them as such, it's unthinkable that a human would actually eat such egg. I thought it was some sort of representation that they were seeing.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.