Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime of Nonsense Comedy Manga 'Ai Mai Mi' Announced

New
Nov 2, 2012 8:12 AM

Feb 2008
According to Takeshobo, four-panel manga "Ai Mai Mi" was announced to get a TV anime adaptation. It will be aired from January 2013.

Ai Mai Mi anime official website
One of the chapters of Ai Mai Mi manga

Nonsense violent comedy. It's about a radical & extreme slice of life of four high school girls.

Ai Mai Mi on MAL
NaruleachNov 4, 2012 8:15 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 2, 2012 8:15 AM

Apr 2010
Its one of those 3 minute shows I'm guessing.

Nov 2, 2012 8:40 AM

Oct 2010
As long as it's not as bad at Chitose I will give it a try.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Nov 2, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2012
That picture on the anime official website made me speechless

And

RyanSaotome said:
Nov 2, 2012 8:45 AM

Feb 2011
Nonsense violent comedy sounds so pleasing.

Although, as stated before, it's probably going to be a 3-minute show and that kinda ruins it.
Nov 2, 2012 8:48 AM

Jul 2012
Radical and extreme? Maybe.
Nov 2, 2012 8:49 AM
Sep 2012
Did I saw TENTACLES on the website pic?

I'm in.
Nov 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Mar 2011
I'll give it a try for the nonsense violent comedy, but I'm not really interested in 3 minute shows.
As it turns out, living was a punishment...
Nov 2, 2012 8:52 AM

Sep 2011
I have a bad feeling about the next season.

Its something like so many short anime shows.
Nov 2, 2012 9:26 AM

Feb 2010
If it is even remotely as funny as Teekyu I'm fully on board.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 2, 2012 9:43 AM

Jun 2008
bippo said:
Did I saw TENTACLES on the website pic?

I'm out.

Fixed that...

Sometimes I wonder if the creators and producers of (manga and) anime want us to think that 90% of the Japanese population consists of cute schoolgirls...
Nov 2, 2012 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
dtshyk said:

Nonsense violent comedy. It's about a radical & extreme slice of life of four high school girls.

it seems like japan doesnt even care about male MC's anymore

Nov 2, 2012 10:53 AM

Sep 2012
> nonsense violent comedy

KILL ME BABY

I agree that shorter episode may help. 30 min seemed too long for a Kill Me Baby episode...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 10:54 AM

Sep 2012
supermegasonic said:

I myself don't care. MC is unnecessary and it makes sense to concentrate on cute school girls. :-D

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 11:17 AM

Oct 2010
Nonsense violent comedy

sounds like every thing i like, will probably watch i mean if it is going to be short episodes there is not much to loose
Nov 2, 2012 11:31 AM

Aug 2011
jmal said:
supermegasonic said:
This isn't remotely true. I almost wish it were, because so few of them are good characters. But it's not.
And who do we have to blame for that?
Nov 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Jun 2008
Awww, I thought this was for "Ninja Nonsense." ;_;
Nov 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Apr 2010
One thing I don't get are the people who complain about harem shows not having a good male character... why would you be watching those shows for the male character? He's just supposed to be bland as possible so you can self-insert easily. If you want some "alpha male" as the MC, go read an eroge or watch a hentai.

Nov 2, 2012 11:55 AM

Nov 2008
Retro8bit said:
Awww, I thought this was for "Ninja Nonsense." ;_;

That's already covered next season as well but not this anime in particular.

The chapter was funny and chances for a 3-5 minute show are pretty much certain, I like it.

Nov 2, 2012 12:15 PM

Sep 2012
^ I guess I set my bar for MC even lower. Bakemonogatari is a very unique kind of harem show and of course it benefits hugely from very interesting characters including the MC, but to me this is just extra delight. (besides, I am sure I will still enjoy Bake if the harem element is weakened a lot but I cannot say the same for many other harem shows that I enjoy). For a standard harem show, a MC that is allergic to girls getting too close, like Rito in ToLoveRu, or a MC that is too thick to find out all girls love him, like Ichika in IS, are just fine, even desirable. There is good reason why I stay as a diehard fan of ToLoveRu all these years ;-D

RyanSaotome said:
One thing I don't get are the people who complain about harem shows not having a good male character... why would you be watching those shows for the male character? He's just supposed to be bland as possible so you can self-insert easily. If you want some "alpha male" as the MC, go read an eroge or watch a hentai.

Eroge MC can be bland too... But otherwise agree with you. People should not just hold on to one set of "quality standard" to judge different genres of anime, and in particular harem show. What makes a good harem show can be quite different from what makes a good adventure show. Besides, even within harem shows the MC can also have variation -- he may be blander than a MC in say an adventure show but not every MC in a harem show are necessarily the same.
symbvNov 2, 2012 12:23 PM

Nov 2, 2012 12:31 PM

Apr 2010
You need a character like Rito in ToLoveRu to drive the story. How far would they really be able to go if he just bangs every girl who makes a move on him? Having him as indecisive and scared to make a move on them adds to it since it creates many funny situations and makes the manga last more than a few chapters. Same with Ichika, if he just banged every girl who hit on him, the show wouldn't be any good. It would just be some hentai. MCs resisting the urge or being pansies makes harems better

Nov 2, 2012 12:36 PM

Sep 2012
I can see why some may prefer Akito type of MC instead of Rito type of MC but at the end it seems to me it depends on what kind of situation you enjoy more:

In Rito (ToLoveRu) I enjoy the "lucky skinship" moments (and how funny things led to such situation) and Rito's shyness look, so Rito's reaction is treasure to me.

In Akito (OniAi) I do not enjoy as much Akito's sarcasm (tsukkomi) or rejection (no skinship) so I would prefer Rito to Akito but I can see where those who prefer Akito come from.

Anyway... getting off topic... sorry...

Nov 2, 2012 12:40 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

The problem I have with the "freak-out" or "dense as a brick" MCs in fanservice shows is that dumber MCs = dumber fanservice, in my opinion. When a character is stupid or clumsy enough to just fall onto a half naked girl 5 times a day, that's exactly what you end up getting for fanservice.
Here the MC being dumb is good. The girls in those shows would look dumb in real life anyway. In this fantasy harem world it does not matter if all characters act dumb. In fact I would say having a smart or intelligent character would distract from the show.

jmal said:

Personally, I prefer when fanservice shows have to work a little bit for it. To LOVE-Ru and Ichiban Ushiro and the like will never hold a candle to Touka Gettan, YamiBou, or Boukyaku no Senritsu in the fanservice department for me.

Unfortunately those fanservice in the better section of your list is also those that I find less, what would be the word, tintillating or rousing? I prefer more straightness and directness but yet keep its humor tongue in cheek for the joy of it. Interestingly those that offer better fanservice in your opinion seems to be from VN (at least the first two) perhaps the VN media can offer more background and depth given its length (or in your word, "work for it").

jmal said:
I have very low tolerance for the MC intrusively interjecting himself into the scene while the fanservice is trying to service my fan-ness. You rarely get this with majority or entirely female casts, which is why I enjoy that so much more.
I very much agree, although in an all-female cast my mind will automatically switch to yuri mode, which is quite a different thing from heterosexual fanservice (I know they should be not so different from yuri, blame the hormone...)
symbvNov 2, 2012 12:50 PM

Nov 2, 2012 12:56 PM

Aug 2011
jmal said:
DraconisMarch said:
And who do we have to blame for that?
Lazy writers who don't take the time to develop male characters. It's actually not that hard, but many studios don't seem to try.
It was a rhetorical question. I'm pretty sure everyone knows who's at fault.
Nov 2, 2012 12:59 PM

Feb 2010
Nevermind how the discussion got there, I'll just have to jump on the bandwagon.

@RyanSaotome: Is it really that hard to imagine that someone does not want the only character to identify with in a harem show (the MC) to be bland, boring and undeserving of the attention he gets? I'm unable to enjoy a show when I just don't buy ANYTHING it tries to sell, from the fact that such bland character exist to the fact that they would actually attract heaps of girls. It is actively painful to watch characters act out scenes when I not for a second can understand why in the world anyone would act like that in a situation like this. It feels like they are pandering to male needs that I just don't have - getting heaps of mindless girls for being someone who achieves and deserves nothing. It is much more of a puzzle to me how anyone could enjoy identifying with a MC that is reduced to 1 or 2 traits that are all but admirable.
Especially in shows that have no plot whatsoever the characters have to be interesting to have anything going for the show.

That said, I know harem shows have those so I avoid harem shows.
Series like Bakemonogatari or Clannad I didn't even recognize at harem shows in the beginning because they lack that lack of interesting characters. I still wouldn't consider them full-on harem shows, they're about as harem as Steins;Gate is. The shows symbv mentioned are more full-on harem shows, just there to have fun. Clearly tagged as such and easy for me to avoid. But if I found the same generic character designs and 'humour' in shows like Bakemonogatari or Clannad, I would definitely 'complain about it not having a good male MC'. Because they are not tagged as harem and obviously have merits aside from that or at least try to have them. Fanservice can then add some goodness, especially if as well done as in Bakemonogatari, but I do not watch those shows primarily for that.

So if you throw all the harem-ish series together I couldn't disagree more with RyanSaotome and agree with jmal. If you are only referring to those TLR/IS/etc.. series I will agree with Ryan though. There are series who add harem/fanservice/ecchi elements after thinking of a decent story and characters, and there are series that start by attempting to make a fanservice/harem show and then go on developing a setting and character designs for that exact purpose.
Maybe it's just me making BS differentiations, but it works almost every time for me to know what I should/should not avoid and when to adjust expectations.

So I agree with what symbv said, that there are different standards of quality for different genres, I just don't think that IS/TLR/etc and Clannad/Bake/Haruhi/etc are to be judged as parts of one and the same genre.
Nov 2, 2012 1:02 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
How far would they really be able to go if he just bangs every girl who makes a move on him?

But that's not at all what I'm saying I want to see.

Well, you yourself might not be, but its just a common complaint I hear when people complain about harem MCs, which is why I said it. Almost everywhere that people complain about them, its about them being "a-sexual" or being "totally beta" for not having sex with the girls throwing themelves on them. It just gets kinda annoying always seeing people say that since thats not what harem shows are about at all.

Nov 2, 2012 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
^ People need to understand that having sex is actually not to be expected from the beginning anyway (anybody who wants it should go for the doujin). And the important thing in a harem show is how it provides the background and context for the fantasizing -- as a saying I heard in a Japanese forum goes, the power of imagination can often be more erotic than outright display of sex in action.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Maybe it's just me making BS differentiations, but it works almost every time for me to know what I should/should not avoid and when to adjust expectations.
Setting an accurate expectation can go really far in terms of how much I enjoy a show, so it is a very important thing for me to set it right, if not before the anime starts (when it is an adaptation) than at the early stage of the show (say ep.3 in 1 cour and ep.5-6 in 2 cour show)

Nov 2, 2012 1:51 PM

May 2011
supermegasonic said:
dtshyk said:

Yeah, I agree. Either way, this might interesting.
Nov 2, 2012 2:40 PM

Feb 2012
RyanSaotome said:

If it really is, I'm out~
Nov 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
sounds nice but hope it really not one of those 3 min shows
Nov 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Nov 2008
definitely will pass
Nov 2, 2012 10:41 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

I think where I start to feel a little put out is when shows I think have the potential to be more on → side of the spectrum rely more heavily than I would have liked on the ← side of the spectrum, and detract from the → elements that, sometimes, they actually do rather well. In almost all cases, whether or not I feel a sense of cognitive dissonance between →ness and the show's presentation comes down to how the male protagonist behaves.

(Disclaimer: Arrows are not meant to imply quality or legitimacy or whatever, rather just a general direction of tone and style.)

Just goes to show (again) how important setting and adjusting expectation is for decent enjoyment of an anime. ;-)

Nov 3, 2012 2:28 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

"Setting expectations" is only useful for getting a very general sense of the anime. It will not tell you about execution, about precise balance of story elements, etc.

True, but this can still help a lot in terms of tuning how you can enjoy an anime.
jmal said:

Unless you actually read/play the original source material (or seek out very detailed summaries and reviews), which I do not do because this would completely spoil the anime and many times it's not translated anyway. Personally, I have little interest in manga or light novels or games so I wouldn't be interested in doing so anyway.

Admittedly I do not have that much aversion when it comes to spoiler, as long as I think it can significantly help me set the expectation - for example, SAO is not a serious death game but episodic accounts of Kirito interacting with people and gets his girl. Or Bake is not about solving mystery or action or romcom but the dialogues and aesthetics. I do not have that much time to go for all the source material or dig into all the spoilers, but a feeling of how a work is like usually helps set the expectation a lot.

That said, I always welcome the potential of being pleasantly surprised, and here the thrill provided by an original anime is incomparable -- the shock that Madoka gave me is just something that I will not be able to enjoy in an adaptation. Of course this also means the potential to underwhelm is there too, and disappointment can only be all too great if you realize you invested a lot of time to be disappointed (Guilty Crown came to mind). On balance personally I would prefer to set the right expectation and if needed I am prepared to be spoiled (not too much but sufficiently enough).
symbvNov 3, 2012 2:43 AM

Nov 3, 2012 5:07 AM

Sep 2012
I guess it is the level of aversion for spoiler compared with the ability to accept disappointment. I am inclined towards the latter. I'd rather not be disappointed with the shows I watch.

Besides my experience is that those information that helps me set expectation is usually not the type that would spoil big surprises or twists. Introductions released before an anime is aired usually sets the tone well (so I always make sure to check them) and it usually gives a preview of scenes to be shown anyway.

If we say that not even one single of a show should get spoiled, then we are talking about not going to check the official website or look at the PV before the show, as any show can just happen to be a "great show" so as to have "as little information as possible" coming to the show. Of course this is fine as it is -- it is just that I would say that it may be a bit too thorough (avoid any information that may spoil things) to my taste.
symbvNov 3, 2012 6:04 AM

Nov 3, 2012 6:40 AM
Mar 2011
I'm okay with 3-minute anime :) As long as it has a good storyline... Especially comedy
Nov 3, 2012 2:17 PM

Apr 2010
I do agree with not liking reading manga or light novel source materials myself. Manga in general doesn't really entertain me, since I love animation, colors, music, etc... so I'd always go for the anime version instead of reading the manga. Having everything as new and fresh makes the anime even better too. It seems like many manga or novel fans of something just watch the anime just so they can complain about the differences (though I guess I am kinda guilty with this for Little Busters... but that was a VN I couldn't just pass on since I gave up hope it would ever get an anime adaption).

Nov 4, 2012 1:15 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
What would I do with the knowledge? Either 1) what I hear is so bad (extreme gore or sexual violence perhaps) that I don't even give the show a chance or 2) what I hear sounds mixed or good, and I need to watch and form my own opinion anyway.
For 2) it is good to know (for me) to set my expectation; for 1) it may indeed help as I can allocate my time better.

jmal said:
I've found some hidden gems that way, that I might have skipped if I only stuck to the stuff that sounds the most to my tastes.
Agree. On the other hand, I have often found myself enjoying an anime a lot more than some people because I come to the show more prepared. It is not really have to do with what my tastes are (my tastes are pretty broad anyway so perhaps this does not bother me as much) but what the anime is generally about and where is its main appeal. Introductory interviews before an anime airs often cover this and fans are encouraged to read them. So I do not see why this should be avoided (perhaps not you but I am talking about many fans who do not want to know anything about what the anime is about except some very brief synopsis).

Nov 4, 2012 2:55 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I still think the issues I'm talking about are more subtle than what you'd get from pre-airing promo material anyway.
I just have a feeling that we are talking a bit different thing (or should I say different focus and concern) about how much information is considered beneficial to our anime watching experience and how much is truly 'spoiling the fun'. My point about the "introductory interview and pre-airing promo" is that I consider information disclosed in those material helps me set expectation and enhance the watching experience, and this is the kind of information that one does not need to avoid (for foreigners, the whole interview may not get translated, but information from those material may get spread anyway), even though it may "spoil" some of the details like the worldview and the story. That's all I want to stress.

Nov 4, 2012 4:43 AM

Feb 2010
I'd say the broader your taste the less detailed the research needs to be. For me it is enough to get a vague impression of the genres and style of the show as well as checking if it includes some of my few 'to avoid' things before I know what shows to start. The more detailed adjustments happen during the first episodes, as you said earlier. If you're looking for something more specific though I can see how more reaearch is needed for maximum enjoyment.
But then again I tend to try to know as little as possible and as much as needed about a series. Which for me amounts to only very basic things like genres, origin (Manga, Novel, VN, Game, etc) and maybe basic premise (and for some types of shows character designs). There have been many shows where I knew basically nothing about them except their genres and maybe a picture, but still was 99% sure I'd like them. And often it turned out that I'd love them, partly because I knew so little about them and could let them pleasantly surprise me.
Nov 4, 2012 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
Sounds interesting, i'll give it a try when it airs.

RyanSaotome said:

The male lead of the -monogatari was one of the best things about it, so I don't see why they have to be bland. I don't see the point of self-inserting yourself in an anime.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 4, 2012 8:13 AM

Sep 2012
rederoin said:
The male lead of the -monogatari was one of the best things about it, so I don't see why they have to be bland. I don't see the point of self-inserting yourself in an anime.
I thikn RyanSaotome is talking about the standard harem shows. -Monogatari is a very unique kind of harem show -- in fact I would not say harem is its main attraction (the same cannot be said of the more standard harem show). And in a standard harem show a watcher may be more tempted to self-insert himself as the MC. That said, personally I think even in a standard harem show the MC does not need to be "as bland as possible" - he may be blander than, say, a hero in an adventure show but he does not need to "as bland as possible".

Nov 4, 2012 8:32 AM

Apr 2010
When I say bland as possible, I mean your average harem show with an assemble of different female character archetypes for the viewer to choose from. The main character in those types of shows shouldn't have the show focuses on his character development or give him a very unique character design since he isn't what the show is about. He's only there as a plot device to fuel the harem. So to experience those shows best, you want to have a character without much of a personality or unique design so the viewer can easily self insert themselves onto this character.

Focusing time on the main character takes away time from the point of the show: The girls.
RyanSaotomeNov 4, 2012 8:55 AM

Nov 4, 2012 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
If anything, I think the blander they are, the more any time spend on them is wasted. Makes the girls less interesting too, because they lack a decent foil.
A MC that caused accident for good fan service situation like Rito does in ToLoveRu is foil decent enough in my opinion. Definitely makes the girls more interesting. ;-D

Nov 4, 2012 11:34 AM

Apr 2011
This sounds good!
Nov 7, 2012 11:33 AM

Jul 2010
o wow, what a debate i made lol
i do agree about how they make the MC is bland as possible to easily self-insert yourself into it, but that just makes the girls less appealing and maybe even stupid for liking this almost literal nobody.

the MC will be there the whole anime, so why can't i ask for him to be more interesting? the MC is the reason why these girls are here in the 1st place, and he's the one that brings out the qualities that we see on the characters that we wouldnt see 1st hand.

having a more unique MC brings out other unique qualities from the other characters and make the girls much more dynamic. since their the "focus" of the show, atleast lets try to make them more appealing than just their looks

Jan 3, 2013 11:09 AM

Feb 2012
3 min? I'm in.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

1 by ZXEAN »»
2 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
4 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

22 by Piromysl »»
39 minutes ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.