Forum Settings
Forums

Producer of Little Busters Hints Continuation After Ep 26

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 29, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2010
RyanSaotome said:
It may be a sense of entitlement, but theres no point to animating Little Busters in the first place if you're not gonna do Refrain. Either do it all or don't do any of it.

My thoughts exactly. If they don't do Refrain and Rin route (which doesn't fit in the 10 episodes that the series have left), I'm pretty sure another studio will later re-do LB! anime.
Jan 29, 2013 8:34 PM
Sep 2012
Yvese said:
So.. just because KyoAni made shows like K-ON, suddenly it renders their 3 Key adaptations obsolete and somehow would make LB a 'moeblob'? What kind of logic is that? Lol.

All their key adaptions are also full of moeblob. Even fumoffu is full of moeblob. Bonta is so moeblob i puke rainbows from being so happy. Depends on how you define the term. Maybe for you it reminds you of K-on or something.

Anyway this is an LB thread so that discussion of moeblobs and k-on is over. I still have hopes for refrain and ecstacy. I want to see animated Saya.
bippoJan 29, 2013 8:42 PM
Jan 29, 2013 9:00 PM
Aug 2012
RyanSaotome said:
It may be a sense of entitlement, but theres no point to animating Little Busters in the first place if you're not gonna do Refrain. Either do it all or don't do any of it.

I'm sure it's locked down already, hence the comment was a "joke".

Doesn't mean that Kawase won't complain a bit though. LB qualifies as a hit anime, provided that DVD/BD volumes consistently sell 10,000 copies. Nevertheless, the good but unspectacular numbers make his commitment look somewhat silly. It even vindicates the pitches made by his competitors, who didn't believe in the project enough to propose so much money.

I think Warner and Key naively expected LB fans to reward them for the commitment - perhaps 50+ episodes toward a comprehensive adaptation - in spite of the budget limitations and reduced quality (which remains well above average by VN adaptation norms). They were never going to convince KyoAni diehards, and pre-release negativity was expected. Nevertheless, the producers probably hoped that buzz around the long running time, relative faithfulness, and five year wait would win viewers over, thus promoting strong sales.

Sadly, I think the LB result may make producers even more reluctant to take on a long VN adaptation. 5pb/MAGES and Type-Moon are actively sinking money into anime projects (they have reserves that most VN publishers can only dream of and are good at co-producing content across different media), but the external support doesn't exist for most games.
Jan 29, 2013 9:03 PM

Sep 2012
Considering KyoAni took a lifeless and pretty much plotless anime like Chuunibyou and made it Fall 2012's best selling anime, I doubt the same couldn't have been done with Little Busters.

The order of events in the Little Busters anime and the huge amount of flaws are extremely careless mistakes that anyone here who read the visual novel could better arrange.

The idea that Little Busters, one of the most moe anime, isn't a "hot proposition" I think is a blunder by whoever's in charge of selecting animation source material.

http://atxpieces.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/winter-v3final.jpg
There are more moe animes this winter season than not...
Little Busters is one of the moe animes I've seen, and it has incredible and memorable source material to back it up. The characters are more vibrant than those of Clannad, colorwise at the least if you don't specifically like them.

KyoAni just wants to crush my dreams of having my favorite VN adapted properly.

I guess it was a combination of people not feeling like reading and analyzing Little Busters to figure out how to arrange the plot for the anime, and a lack of studios with people willing to gamble with Key's top selling masterpiece, while every other studio is throwing out 12 episode adaptations of every forgettable moeblob romcom manga and light novel.

Even with how poor it's been adapted, the loyal fans have made the Little Busters anime a high-ranking seller.

It's just really heartbreaking to see the potential that Little Busters had completely squashed whenever I watch the anime with my friends. I can't get them to feel the same emotions I felt from the visual novel. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way, or have been in that same situation when trying to recommend this as an ongoing anime to watch.

tldr; If they do Kud, waifu, Refrain routes, maybe some EX, ok, I'll forgive everyone's negligence for Little Busters. And at least I have the VN to replay ;<
Jan 29, 2013 9:48 PM

Feb 2012
Vladz0r said:
Considering KyoAni took a lifeless and pretty much plotless anime like Chuunibyou and made it Fall 2012's best selling anime, I doubt the same couldn't have been done with Little Busters.

Almost stopped reading here. There's no need to add bias to your posts. It just makes it harder to take you seriously especially when you treat LB as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Jan 29, 2013 10:00 PM

Apr 2010
Yvese said:
It just makes it harder to take you seriously especially when you treat LB as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

A well done adaption of Little Busters could have been the best anime ever made, IMO. The Little Busters VN is better than Clannad, and I have Clannad/After Story among my top 5 anime.

Jan 29, 2013 10:07 PM
Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:

Since it is their second attempt on writing their own original story after the failure that is Munto, I agree that Chuuni is not a well written story and is very much inferior compared to a good story like Little Busters. Kyoani is way behind the story department. Props to them for taking the risk IF it is true that they don't want to adapt LB in the first place. If not, then props to JCstaff for agreeing to adapt an outdated visual novel that should've gotten an anime years ago. And I don't think you're bias just like Yvesse said. It is just some people here get easily upset if their favorite anime and favorite studio got owned by another one HAHA.
_liliputJan 29, 2013 10:10 PM
Jan 29, 2013 10:28 PM

Feb 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Yvese said:
It just makes it harder to take you seriously especially when you treat LB as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

A well done adaption of Little Busters could have been the best anime ever made, IMO. The Little Busters VN is better than Clannad, and I have Clannad/After Story among my top 5 anime.
I'm sure it could have been for a lot of fans. As I said before, it had the potential to be a huge seller like previous titles.

_liliput said:

It is just some people here get easily upset if their favorite anime and favorite studio got owned by another one HAHA.
What are you, 12?
Jan 29, 2013 11:37 PM
Aug 2012
Vladz0r said:
The idea that Little Busters, one of the most moe anime, isn't a "hot proposition" I think is a blunder by whoever's in charge of selecting animation source material.

Producers know how popular the source is which is why Key received several offers. However, the nature of the adaptation business gets in the way (making shows to promote products, financing productions via committees in which each partner has a different business aim, etc.). Some things don't fit the model as well.

I guess it was a combination of people not feeling like reading and analyzing Little Busters to figure out how to arrange the plot for the anime

Key designed the adaptation strategy and reviewed the scripts, so I'm not sure that's entirely true. The adaptation has primarily been a solo effort, but the screenwriter played the game several times and consulted with Key throughout the process. I doubt the original arrangement was lost on her (and even if she did make such a glaring mistake, Key would've caught it).

I get what you're saying, but my impression is that many choices are intentional. The series has been a compromise between making something that keeps new viewers interested and remaining as faithful as possible.

Some observations:

The season has a near 50/50 split between common route events and heroine route material. I'd guess that they want to emphasize that the common route (friendship and a fun adolescence.....that was actually how Key marketed the original game before it was released. Maeda told gamers that the focus would be totally different from Kanon/AIR/Clannad, so the common route is more than a mere prelude to romance and drama) is just as important to the experience as the heroine stories. However, the downside is that only three episodes are dedicated to each arc, which hurts pacing. It's hard to present melodrama and make it convincing in such a short period of time.

Within individual episodes, the screenwriter minimized blending of common route and heroine route content, a decision that may exacerbate the above point. Each episode has a clear and distinct purpose.

Baseball hasn't been emphasized since early on.....maybe they want to cover this later to reduce repetition. Overall, the selection of common route events has been rather predictable.

The interweaving of common route and heroine route material has been methodical....seemingly a high level decision that takes precedence over recreating a perfectly authentic Little Busters experience. This serves two purposes. The first is breathing time between dramatic arcs. The second is to avoid presenting a whack load of common route events week after week. Maybe the idea is that ten weeks of common route will lose the audience, so they flip back and forth to make it easier for people to stay interested and warm up to the SOL bits. And yes, interweaving creates an unavoidable compromise in character development. They'll probably reconcile the changes later, but it's admittedly a weakness.

The lack of romance is self-explanatory.

If no one else, Key would certainly understand what the compromises mean. Right or wrong, they went with what they thought would work for a TV show seen by people who've never played Little Busters. VN readers create buzz, but the DVD/BD market is so niche (let's face it, the majority of anime fans don't collect home video, whether or not they've read the original source) that producers don't win without new fans.
Jan 30, 2013 3:28 AM

Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:
Plotless?? Chuunibyou?? What is your definition of Plot ???

Vladz0r said:
There are more moe animes this winter season than not...
Isn't that obvious, given the fact that almost every midnight anime in every season deploys moe to a large extent?

+++
Anyway, I think people should forget about KyoAni adapting Key stuff. KyoAni at present is different from KyoAni in the old days - they prefer to do their own stuff and try out new things on their own. This may be why they have been adapting obscure or semi-obscure LN, manga and novel for anime and does not touch Key, Haruhi or Lucky Star.
symbvJan 30, 2013 3:33 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 31, 2013 7:00 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Vladz0r said:
Plotless?? Chuunibyou?? What is your definition of Plot ???

Um, Chuunibyou is plotless.
(unless you call that melodrama at the end a plot)

symbv said:

Anyway, I think people should forget about KyoAni adapting Key stuff. KyoAni at present is different from KyoAni in the old days - they prefer to do their own stuff and try out new things on their own. This may be why they have been adapting obscure or semi-obscure LN, manga and novel for anime and does not touch Key, Haruhi or Lucky Star.

If their 'original' stuff was actually better than the other stuff they could be doing, I'm pretty sure nobody would complain.But that's subjective, I guess.
(not really)

And trying out new things? Yeah, because moe being the priority over any kind of plot is surely very new from them.K-ON left me on the edge of my seat every single week, Chuunibyou kept me up all night thinking about how it'd all come together and Tamako Market, wow, those cliffhangers are killing me right now.

...Well, sarcasm aside.They just won't leave this weird comfort zone they've set up for themselves, and that's a shame.
skapandiJan 31, 2013 7:22 AM
Jan 31, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
skapandi said:
Um, Chuunibyou is plotless.
(unless you call that melodrama at the end a plot)

You're making a very very common mistake: confusing "I didn't like the plot" for "There is no plot". I see this happen all the time about many, many, many shows.

No, there really wasn't any big plot to that show.
Jan 31, 2013 7:57 AM

Apr 2010
Far too many Westerners think plots only when you have some big epic fighting series or political drama or whatever else. They can't appreciate nice little romcoms like Chuuni.

Jan 31, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
skapandi said:
No, there really wasn't any big plot to that show.

Now you've moved the goalposts and backpedaled from "plotless" or "no plot", which should be fairly objective, to "not a big plot", which is firmly subjective. Which precisely proves my point.

Well, I thought about Rikka overcoming her chuuni thing and kind of reconsidered my choice of words.Still, the show seemed to have set itself up to be a comedy at first, only to suddenly make the chunni thing a problem and shoehorn some melodrama in at the end and call that it's 'plot'.Which doesn't really count as a plot for me, especially when 70% of the time they were goofing around like in many other slice of life/comedy shows.

RyanSaotome said:
Far too many Westerners think plots only when you have some big epic fighting series or political drama or whatever else. They can't appreciate nice little romcoms like Chuuni.

I'm european, though.
And I love a good romcom or slice of life, I just didn't like Chuuni.
Jan 31, 2013 9:10 AM

Sep 2012
@skapandi

Give me your definition of "plot" and then explain why Chuunibyou's story is not a plot. As jmal said, what you seem to want is a plot you deem worthy and big enough for YOU, not whether the anime has a plot. To be honest, even slice-of-life anime has plot, just not an overarching grand plot that many people in the west who seems to recognize as the only thing that can be called "plot".

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 31, 2013 12:43 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
@skapandi

Give me your definition of "plot" and then explain why Chuunibyou's story is not a plot. As jmal said, what you seem to want is a plot you deem worthy and big enough for YOU, not whether the anime has a plot. To be honest, even slice-of-life anime has plot, just not an overarching grand plot that many people in the west who seems to recognize as the only thing that can be called "plot".

You see, plot for me is when characters do stuff for a purpose(or goal) and when the story has a clear beginning, middle, and end.Not like when in Chuuni's case, characters interact in a slice-of-life manner doing humorous stunts for most of the show and then suddenly decide their stunts are childish and stop doing them, leading to some cringe worthy melodrama to try and make the viewer sad.Really, it's almost like Kyoani wanted to try and emulate the Key formula of 'funny start, sad middle/end' and totally missed the mark--because unlike in a Key story like, say, LB, it didn't have a clear view of where it wanted to go(or what it wanted to be) from the beginning.
skapandiJan 31, 2013 12:51 PM
Jan 31, 2013 12:58 PM

Sep 2012
_liliput said:
Vladz0r said:

Since it is their second attempt on writing their own original story after the failure that is Munto, I agree that Chuuni is not a well written story and is very much inferior compared to a good story like Little Busters. Kyoani is way behind the story department. Props to them for taking the risk IF it is true that they don't want to adapt LB in the first place. If not, then props to JCstaff for agreeing to adapt an outdated visual novel that should've gotten an anime years ago. And I don't think you're bias just like Yvesse said. It is just some people here get easily upset if their favorite anime and favorite studio got owned by another one HAHA.

I enjoy JC Staff and KyoAni's work, but it kind of depends what kind of experience I'm looking for.

I never knew it from the beginning of watching Little Busters, but after playing the VN, I realized that I wanted a more fulfilling and rich experience to indulge in than one of the hundreds of short anime romcoms that are released constantly every season.

JC Staff has done good with these animes I group as "lots of fun, idgaf about plot, and animes that don't give me as much feels, like Sakurasou, Bakuman, Toradora, Zero no Tsukaima, Ano Natsu de Materu.

If anything, I've seen more JC Staff anime than KyoAni stuff, and I've enjoyed the lighthearted experiences they've adapted material for.

KyoAni would probably hit me harder in the feels, even if they had the same amount of character development that the Little Busters anime under JC is currently getting. They just do melodrama beautifully.

tldr: I just want more feels now, KyoAni does it better, but I like JC romcoms for fun. LB
Jan 31, 2013 11:36 PM

Sep 2012
skapandi said:
You see, plot for me is when characters do stuff for a purpose(or goal) and when the story has a clear beginning, middle, and end.
As jmal said, it is your definition of plot, and using that personal definition of "plot" to judge an anime and then call such anime as "plotless" just because it does not meet your personal definition of "plot" does not really make sense. We can check any dictionary and plot would be the story narrated in fiction in media like novel or movie. Nothing more. Your requirements are not necessary for a "plot". As long as we see the sequence of the events is telling a story or some stories, there is a plot (or plots) there.

As I said, even the slice-of-life events are telling some stories. And in Chuunibyou's case, it can be argued that they also serve to build up the characters and illustrate how the relationships among them evolve, and there is clearly story going on (in fact on more than one level: the small plot for each slice-of-life moment, and a higher level plot for the overall narrative).

skapandi said:
.Really, it's almost like Kyoani wanted to try and emulate the Key formula of 'funny start, sad middle/end' and totally missed the mark--because unlike in a Key story like, say, LB, it didn't have a clear view of where it wanted to go(or what it wanted to be) from the beginning.
I guess you are too much of a believer of Key. The funny start and sad middle/end is not Key's exclusive formula, nor first started by Key. As for how well KyoAni executed this forumla, that is a separate issue. I can see why some may feel the execution is not done very well (and I tend to agree with those people), but it does not mean Chuunibyou thus has no plot or KyoAni is really just doing some inferior copycat work following Key.

Feb 1, 2013 1:39 AM

Sep 2011
isn't it too soon to announce this ? i still prefer how Steins Gate telling their fans right after the series end.

even tho' there will be announcement at the end...

but this is fine too, pace is too slow for an animated VN.
Feb 1, 2013 9:45 AM
Apr 2007
It was really damage control that they announced the planning of a second season early I think
Feb 1, 2013 9:51 AM

Apr 2010
cads said:
but this is fine too, pace is too slow for an animated VN.

Kinda funny how VN fans are complaining they are rushing through the routes too much though.

BahamutZero said:
It was really damage control that they announced the planning of a second season early I think

Well, they had to. Theres no point in a Little Busters adaption in the first place if they don't animate Refrain. The entire first season builds up to that.

Feb 9, 2013 3:53 PM

Apr 2012
Well, i hope there are chance to animate the three new heroines in ecstasy.
Feb 10, 2013 7:00 AM
May 2009
The more I watch LB, the more I think Kyoani didn't wan't to adapt it because it was so bad compared to previous Key VNs. I mean, mc is lame as hell, the only thing good about him is its narcolepsy but they aren't even doing anything with it, even though it would be quite easy. There are 3 other guys but they are useless and not fun. During the first 10 episodes of Clannad, Sunohara did ten times more than all of them combined for now, in terms of both comedy and drama. Girls are also very disappointing, Komari and Kud are annoying as hell, the rest look not so bad but I feel they are just weaker versions of previous Key characters with some little tweaks...

I'm pretty much a Kyoani fanboy, I liked Hyouka and Chuuni, and I'm enjoying Tamako (not as much though). But I liked Clannad and Kanon for both story and good production value. But I feel that even Kyoani wouldn't have been able to make something good of LB,I mean as good as Clannad or Kanon.

But now I'm reading that LB is the most successful Key VN ever. So can anyone tell me what happened there ? Is J.C. Staff so bad that they are able to ruin a masterpiece ? I can see that their adaptation is cheap, and that it would have been a lot prettier done by Kyoani. But it shouldn't be so dramatically different, Clannad is one of my favorites, whereas LB looks like a bad slice of life comedy punctuated by bad drama, I'm only watching because I've still some remaining faith in Key. Or is Kyoani that good at conveying Key material ?
zrilFeb 10, 2013 7:04 AM
Feb 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Sep 2011
zril said:
The more I watch LB the more I think Kyoani didn't wan't to adapt it because it was so bad compared to previous Key VNs. I mean, mc is lame as hell, the only thing good about him is its narcolepsy but they aren't even doing anything with it, even though it would be quite easy. There are 3 other guys but they are useless and not fun. During the first 10 episodes of Clannad, Sunohara did ten times more than all of them combined for now, in terms of both comedy and drama. Girls are also very disappointing, Komari and Kud are annoying as hell, the rest look not so bad but I feel they are just weaker versions of previous Key characters with some little tweaks...

I'm pretty much a Kyoani fanboy, I liked Hyouka and Chuuni, and I'm enjoying Tamako (not as much though). But I liked Clannad and Kanon for both story and good production value. But I feel that even Kyoani wouldn't have been able to make something good off LB,I mean as good as Clannad or Kanon.

But now I'm reading that LB is the most successful Key VN ever. So can anyone tell me what happened there ? Is J.C. Staff so bad that they are able to ruin a masterpiece ? I can see that their adaptation is cheap, and that it would have been a lot prettier done by Kyoani. But it shouldn't be so dramatically different, Clannad is one of my favorites, whereas LB looks like a bad slice of life comedy punctuated by bad drama, I'm only watching because I've still some remaining faith in Key. Or is Kyoani that good at conveying Key material ?

Why don't you try the VN to see it to yourself? This is just going repetitive.

True that LB has bad slice of life humor, more or less likely, most of the time. Regarding to the drama effect, I can say it's JC Staff's fault and I can say KyoAni can do better about it BUT I can see it will make only slight difference.

zril said:
Or is Kyoani that good at conveying Key material ?

I may agree with this but KyoAni wouldn't handle LB due to its complicated storyline which is why they didn't want to adapt LB.

Feb 10, 2013 7:12 AM
Apr 2012
zril said:
The more I watch LB, the more I think Kyoani didn't wan't to adapt it because it was so bad compared to previous Key VNs. I mean, mc is lame as hell, the only thing good about him is its narcolepsy but they aren't even doing anything with it, even though it would be quite easy. There are 3 other guys but they are useless and not fun. During the first 10 episodes of Clannad, Sunohara did ten times more than all of them combined for now, in terms of both comedy and drama. Girls are also very disappointing, Komari and Kud are annoying as hell, the rest look not so bad but I feel they are just weaker versions of previous Key characters with some little tweaks...

I'm pretty much a Kyoani fanboy, I liked Hyouka and Chuuni, and I'm enjoying Tamako (not as much though). But I liked Clannad and Kanon for both story and good production value. But I feel that even Kyoani wouldn't have been able to make something good of LB,I mean as good as Clannad or Kanon.

They are doing a poor adaption. And Little Busters' character routes/common route wasn't that great anyway even though they arent doing a good job with those either, it's Refrain (think After Story for Clannad) that is so bloody good. Though I have my doubts about Refrain in anime shape since they've already removed stuff that is important for Refrain...

Narcolepsy is used better/more in the VN. In the anime so far it has been pointless.

And just to add, Clannad was not a very good adaption except for After Story. KyoAni butchered the non Nagisa character routes quite brutally.

I'd say go read both VNs.
Feb 10, 2013 9:06 AM

Apr 2010
Harukas route took out like half the content... its by far the longest route of the VN and the lack of time it had to adapt it butchered it. And this is coming from someone who was quite happy with the adaption beforehand.

It needed like 5 episodes to do well. So many important scenes were flat out removed. Some even important enough they got their own CGs, like the cell phone scene (which was even in the VN Opening as one of the highlights of Harukas route).
RyanSaotomeFeb 10, 2013 9:15 AM

Feb 10, 2013 9:07 AM

Aug 2011
Kyoani stated that they were too busy to adapt it. (hyouka at the time, then chuuni/tamako filled up the timeslot)

and trust me, execution can make ALL the difference. want proof?

kanon 2006 > kanon 2002
Clannad > clannad movie

not only are the kyoani versions better.. they're MUCH MUCH more better than the toei adaptions.
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Feb 10, 2013 9:21 AM

Apr 2010
Theres always the VN at least, which I recommend to anyone who is watching the anime. Its far better in every way and actually has a strong emotional impact which the anime lacks.

Feb 10, 2013 9:35 AM

Apr 2010
Well theres always the chance that the anime doesn't cover the EX routes (Kanata, Sasami and Saya), so you could always read that one and it'll have a lot of brand new stuff. H-scenes too if you're into that thing.

Feb 10, 2013 9:40 AM

Aug 2011
RyanSaotome said:
H-scenes too if you're into that thing.

Key's H-scenes are terrible though.
Feb 10, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2010
The writing isn't great and the music for those scenes isn't fitting, but at least the art for the Na-Ga girls is pretty good.

Feb 10, 2013 9:49 AM
Aug 2012
zril said:
But now I'm reading that LB is the most successful Key VN ever.

Where did you read that? Key sales have been in decline ever since the high points of AIR and Clannad, so it's not true that LB is their most successful VN. Critically, the latter was far more controversial upon release, but the negativity has been drowned out by praise over time.

You can read some of the older reports and comments on the matter, even amongst English speaking fandom:

http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20071029155106/http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/

http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=24642&postcount=68
http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=25392&postcount=124
http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=25805&postcount=147
http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=25832&postcount=149

Back then, there were lots of opinions that Little Busters is an average (if not mediocre) visual novel until Refrain elevates it to something great.

While I can't speak for every reader, my suspicion is that for a good many, Refrain is memorable and fulfilling enough to vindicate the earlier faults and make it all worthwhile (as they still build on the bond between reader and characters, preparing the former for the real deal).
Feb 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Apr 2010
I'm pretty sure that LB sold about the same as Clannad if you count in the console and handheld re-releases. Air beats both of them though.

Also those links you posted are just random peoples opinions. I thought the girls routes were great overall, and I shed many tears during them (only Kud and Komari weren't great). And after playing Clannad, Little Busters and Rewrite, Little Busters is easily my favorite of those 3 (never played the earlier ones, just watched the anime).
RyanSaotomeFeb 10, 2013 9:58 AM

Feb 10, 2013 10:01 AM

Apr 2010
Well EX is the entire LB story, just with added h-scenes in each route (they were already hinted at for the most part in the original... anime removed the romance though). And it also adds 3 extra routes along with the established story, to more fully flesh out two important side characters and add a new character.

Feb 10, 2013 10:04 AM

Aug 2011
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
H-scenes too if you're into that thing.

Hm, probably not for a read like Little Busters. I prefer serious/emotional VNs to have minimal to no sex scenes. When they do occur I'd like them to grow organically from the plot and occur in appropriate spots, rather than sex for the sake of meeting the eroge sex quota (in which case I'd rather it be yuri anyway). So anything more than once a route would probably be pushing it. More often than not I'd probably be fine with all-ages versions.

Then you want no part of any Key H-scenes, as they are the very definition of sex scenes for the sake of having sex scenes, Air, Kanon and Little Busters lose absolutely nothing by leaving them out.

Unless EX is not a terribly serious story, I mean, in which case it doesn't matter as much.

EX is the same story, just with 3 additional routes.
Feb 10, 2013 10:21 AM
May 2009
Yerld said:
zril said:

Where did you read that? Key sales have been in decline ever since the high points of AIR and Clannad, so it's not true that LB is their most successful VN. Critically, the latter was far more controversial upon release, but the negativity has been drowned out by praise over time.

You can read some of the older reports and comments on the matter, even amongst English speaking fandom:

http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20071029155106/http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/09/little-busters/

Back then, there were lots of opinions that Little Busters is an average (if not mediocre) visual novel until Refrain elevates it to something great.

While I can't speak for every reader, my suspicion is that for a good many, Refrain is memorable and fulfilling enough to vindicate the earlier faults and make it all worthwhile (as they still build on the bond between reader and characters, preparing the former for the real deal).

Thank you, it makes more sense now. I'll have faith and wait till that refrain thing, even though I doubt it being that good given how bad the beginning is. At least Clannad s1 was interesting, tomoya is so awesome whereas riki is so lame. I think most of the difference is here, Kanon and Air had good MCs as well.

Also, why no romance ? Even MAL states romance in the genres. I know it would probably be bad with such a lame MC but it could hardly be worst anyway...

note : as for where I read that, someone said this and I misinterpreted it a little:
Little busters! was the number one top selling game in 2007, and is acclaimed by many as one of the best visual novels in existence. rated 8.9 on vndb (a whole point higher than kanon)
zrilFeb 10, 2013 10:29 AM
Feb 10, 2013 4:29 PM

Sep 2011
zril said:

Also, why no romance ? Even MAL states romance in the genres. I know it would probably be bad with such a lame MC but it could hardly be worst anyway...

Because in the VN, the protagonist and the heroine(Depending on which heroine you take), it has tons of intimacy between them(I could say most of or all LB heroines were set to high to highest bar of intimacy level unlike Clannad VN where only 3 heroines were set to high to highest bar) on their stories unlike in the anime which it has 0 intimacy(At the moment). Whether this is JC Staff error or something else, obviously and most likely it will take time to see the romance since you know that the protagonist will always end up with the main heroine when that time comes but I doubt it that it would last long.
TennoujiFeb 10, 2013 4:37 PM

Feb 10, 2013 6:28 PM

Jan 2011
zril said:
Yerld said:
zril said:

Thank you, it makes more sense now. I'll have faith and wait till that refrain thing, even though I doubt it being that good given how bad the beginning is. At least Clannad s1 was interesting, tomoya is so awesome whereas riki is so lame. I think most of the difference is here, Kanon and Air had good MCs as well.

note : as for where I read that, someone said this and I misinterpreted it a little:
Little busters! was the number one top selling game in 2007, and is acclaimed by many as one of the best visual novels in existence. rated 8.9 on vndb (a whole point higher than kanon)

I'm trying not to laugh at the whole MC and the boys thing. I believe that key intended to give you that kind of feeling towards Riki -- his feminine/weak qualities actually become a plot point in Refrain. Once Rin's route occurs, the boys will have a more role in the story. Essentially, Refrain is the original Little Busters! route; all the boys will get their chance to shine there.

I believe JC Staff cut the romance out of the character routes because they're trying to do a linear route like Clannad. There is a probably for 2 characters to get romance though. Like Sa-chan said, just wait and the romance will be there... eventually, although it will not the amount of romance as Tomoya and Nagisa.
Feb 10, 2013 6:35 PM

Apr 2010
It was an intentional choice by JC Staff, and the right one. It wouldn't make sense in the anime format if Riki was going around dating all the girls at the same time. With the VN, yo have to start a new game once you finish each route so the story doesn't carry over, so it makes more sense to do romance.

It coulda done the format like Amagami did I guess, but it wouldn't make sense with the common route thrown in there too.

Feb 10, 2013 10:55 PM
Aug 2010
Call me once the anime is finish; in this type of story, your opinion is is invalid unless you've played the game and know the entire story already. Then again, you will probably be too bias on how the show is not the game so I guess waiting til the anime draws to an end is the only choice.

Also, the Amagami format is a horrible idea. The biggest problem with that show is that the routes were WAY to short, the characters and their relationship didn't have time to develop enough at all so I just didn't give a rat's ass about them. Didn't help that the MC was your typical nondescript harem protagonist that begs the question "why are these two in a relationship again?" even further. The good thing though, is that the series is a dating sim so it stories were so unspectacular that the format didn't hurt the original script all that much. Anyways, the format would completely destroy the amazing plot that the people who've played the game claim this series have.
Feb 11, 2013 1:38 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
It was an intentional choice by JC Staff, and the right one. It wouldn't make sense in the anime format if Riki was going around dating all the girls at the same time. With the VN, yo have to start a new game once you finish each route so the story doesn't carry over, so it makes more sense to do romance.

School Days 2 anyone? LOL
Feb 11, 2013 3:51 AM

Aug 2011
hpulley said:
RyanSaotome said:

Feb 12, 2013 2:39 PM

Jul 2012
mitch3315 said:
hpulley said:
RyanSaotome said:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
Feb 24, 2013 2:40 PM

Oct 2011
OMG Yes!!!! Thank you XD.
Feb 24, 2013 2:42 PM

Nov 2012
Now that is sigh of relief!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Mar 10, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2012
RyanSaotome said:

It coulda done the format like Amagami did I guess, but it wouldn't make sense with the common route thrown in there too.

Had they done that they could have easily made a school days with friendship and moe...Thank god they didn't...
Mar 10, 2013 9:23 AM

Apr 2010
MAL now shows 25 episodes. Does that mean we'll never get this announcement?! Nooo!

Mar 10, 2013 10:44 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
MAL now shows 25 episodes. Does that mean we'll never get this announcement?! Nooo!
MAL got it wrong. TV guide magazines in Japan show 26 episodes with the last episode to be aired on Apr 6th. The last episode has Riki suddenly becoming the team leader.

Mar 10, 2013 10:55 AM

Feb 2013
hope they add some romance to it
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Mar 10, 2013 10:59 AM

Apr 2010
symbv said:
RyanSaotome said:
MAL got it wrong. TV guide magazines in Japan show 26 episodes with the last episode to be aired on Apr 6th. The last episode has Riki suddenly becoming the team leader.

Yeah I figured, the DVD/BD Vol. 9 has episodes 25-26 as well, and it wouldn't count the OVA as episode 26 since you need to send in the receipts for all 9 volumes to get it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
8 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.