Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 21, 2014 9:00 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

That duel is another of those "moments" in this anime that get remembered. The count's mech looks expensive. While it isn't super-flashy, the battle has amazing intensity and suspense.

Those mechs don't appear to just be robots... they seem to be bio-mechanical with feedback directly to the pilot's brain. This is just speculation based on the battle, since they don't explain how the system works.
Mar 23, 2014 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
Damn xD
Cuts a part of his helment... other side of his helment...
One arm...
Two arms...
Wings are cut...

Stabbed for Dante's sword....
Stabbed by his sword....
Fails to assassinate the Count...
Finally gets stabbed by an actual sword...

Friend dies in front of Albert...

BAHAHA XD That was so satisfying to watch
Oh and then they switch off to Albert's former fiance xD
Extreme change of tone xD

Oh... and that "Happy Birthday..."
HAHAHA XD
duderusMar 23, 2014 9:45 AM

Apr 2, 2014 9:06 PM

Jan 2013
Gonzo using their CGI dick all over again....ugh..
But still credit should be given where it is due.
Yes, we all knew it. Franz was going to meet his end.
Well, Albert is apparently 16. That explains his naiviety a bit. Hopefully he actually mans up.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 28, 2014 9:10 AM

Aug 2012
I had no idea that Albert is only 15-16. I thought he was supposed to be 25. I'm too used to seeing anime characters go to high school all the time and since there's not a single trace of school in this show I just perceived him as much older. Imagine if this anime all happened during high school ... haha.

Is fighting in the park with giant mechas and breaking everything legal? Well I guess they are super rich so they can just pay for it.
Apr 29, 2014 2:56 AM

Apr 2013
RIP Franz ;-;
Powerful eyebrows.
Jun 9, 2014 6:12 AM
Apr 2013
it took me longer than i'm proud of to realize what was going on... still, imo it was a great episode.

question: how exactly could this have happened in the book? it's one thing not to recognize someone through a mecha suit, but in a real duel, how could franz disguise himself as albert..?
Jul 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Aug 2012
Franz. Franz. Why was it Franz. He was looking out for Albert and ended up being killed by the Count.

Seriously, the entire series, up until that point, I thought of the Count as the hero in all this, seeing as in the movie he was the hero, but this episode just makes me loath him. This series better have one hell of an ending that leaves me satisfied, cause I don't know if I can forgive the Count for what happened.
Jul 15, 2014 10:59 PM

Sep 2013
Franz has been hitting death flags ever since the second episode, this wasn't a great surprise. Still though... did he really have to troll Albert with "Happy Birthday" in his final moment?
Aug 31, 2014 12:32 AM

Nov 2013
Other than the ugly CG mechas, I loved this episode. Now I feel bad for saying that since everyone hated it.

Aug 31, 2014 12:36 AM

Nov 2013
The one thing that surprised me though is that not until now has no one bitched about the shitty CGI. Of course once we get to a really big episode with a mecha fight and everything, everyone begins to bitch about the CGI. Jeez...

Nov 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2012
I called the twist last episode but shit I got all emotional when it happened anyway...
Mar 16, 2015 5:45 PM

Dec 2013
Wtf is this random mecha shit with different art style lol
Franz?! Damn, this was the first episode which I could actually call a thriller.
Feelz, good episode.
Apr 22, 2015 9:33 AM

Feb 2015
I don't understand, why does the Count never react to it being Franz instead of Albert? How does that have no consequence? Wasn't that "illegal" in the time period? Why did this episode have to happen?
Aug 19, 2015 3:16 AM

Oct 2014
RIP sweet prince
Sep 4, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
I guess I was watching something different from most the other people in this thread, because this is one of the finest anime episodes I have watched... ever.

The setting, atmosphere, art, animation, OST (as usual), all culminated into an utterly spectacular whole. As one of the world's few mecha fans, I anticipated a mecha fight in Gankutsuou of all anime to be tacky and ridiculous, but everything around it was executed so flawlessly that it ended up being thrilling, mesmerizing, and straight up bone chilling. I loved the choreography and attention to detail in the fight itself; the CGI wasn't amazing, but it most certainly wasn't awful and that couldn't even ruin it.

Suspecting Franz was inside that suit since the beginning of the episode, watching the dual unfold was some mix of exhilarating and tragic; as exciting as it was, I kept wanting it to stop. "No, don't, you're going to die!" And watching as Franz struggled to match blades with the Count yet failed at nearly every step, slowly being sliced apart, trembling yet moving forward with adamant persistence -- that was positively heart-rending. Even the directing was incredible. Just... wow.

This episode was just a roller coaster of emotions. I got chills several times. Ugh, the death scene was handled with expertise too. When I reminisce upon my Gankutsuou experience, surely this will be the highlight of my memories.
ZadionSep 4, 2015 2:53 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 5, 2015 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Zadion said:
As one of the world's few mecha fans, I anticipated a mecha fight in Gankutsuou of all anime to be tacky and ridiculous, but everything around it was executed so flawlessly that it ended up being thrilling, mesmerizing, and straight up bone chilling.
Agreed. A perfect episode.
Sep 28, 2015 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
They duelled in some cool mecha Eva's ala NGE or like the ones maybe moreso in The Big O :/ I dunno.

But I can't believe Franz drugged Albert and took his place in the duel and then just when it looked like he'd killed The Count he didn't succeed Franz died.

I loved Franz! I can't imagine 6 episodes without him! He was amazing! and smart, I'll miss him! It made me cry ;______________________;

Also the episode was spoiled for me as on the info on viewster for the episode it said Franz took his place and died. So it wasn't just crunchyroll (which it's not on in the UK presumably because it's on viewster instead) that ruined it.

I also thought Albert and co were much older.
stephtastropheSep 28, 2015 12:51 PM
Oct 4, 2015 1:43 PM

Aug 2008
Hey everybody! I'm currently enamored with this anime after being a long-time fan of the book. This episode had me bawling my guts out.

I was wondering if anyone knew the title or composer of the song played at the beginning, when Albert, Franz, and Eugenie are on the beach. I've looked for it everywhere and it doesn't appear to be on the OST or the classical compilation. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
Oct 7, 2015 3:24 AM

Apr 2014
*Rant Warning*

F*cking Albert.
F*cking Franz...
F*cking linear predictable plot!

Franz just giving his life like that, the stupid mother wailing. All he needed to do was knock Albert out and go into hiding with him for a few months; maybe out in space, or heck, even in a Canadian underground bunker made of lead. Who cares what.
Anything. They could have written anything. It's called creativity. ...But omgz plot! They needed the melodrama of killing off the best friend!

I freaking hate Albert at this point. Franz was my favorite character.

The count can go die in a hole. I have no sympathy for him. I now sadistically await his destruction.
DawningFogOct 7, 2015 3:55 AM
Oct 7, 2015 6:07 PM

Aug 2012
DawningFog said:

F*cking Albert.
F*cking Franz...
F*cking linear predictable plot!

haha I agree

I was bored to tears by this episode. Now that the "mystery" is solved, I'm quickly loosing my interest
Oct 29, 2015 2:50 AM
May 2012
Holy.....fucking......shit.
Franz ;_;
Stop complaining about the CGI.
Nov 30, 2015 7:24 AM

May 2014
Aww.. Franz..RIP

I really liked Franz, but at the same time I can't really dislike the Count. So I'm gonna blame it all on Albert, screw that guy.

Also main flaw of this episode was the really bad CG used for the mechs...
I actually would've preferred it they fought in normal body armor, but that may have revealed that it was Franz in the suit instead of Albert so... whatever.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Dec 28, 2015 10:43 PM

Aug 2007
That's it, I'm crying.
Jan 13, 2016 11:48 AM
Dec 2014
Durie said:
Am I the only one who still cheers for Count? >>

Hmmm I never liked the count. He displays the classic signs of being a psychopath (no empathy, manipulation of others, the over inflated ego). BUT the guy has been taken over by a demon so there are extenuating circumstances.
Jan 13, 2016 11:54 AM
Dec 2014
DaItalianFish said:
I'm really surprised people thought this episode was bad because of the mecha.

The show is pretty old, and they've used shitty CGI before. There are even robot mechas in the previous episodes with the flashback to Albert's father in the war. If people were surprised about mechas and shitty CGI they have to be retarded.

I thought the episode was amazing, and definitely the best one so far. I expected shitty CGI so I didn't really have high expectations for the fight, but I still thought it was decent. It didn't take me out of the experience at all.

After Franz gets wrecked and then it cuts to Albert sleeping, I was completely blown away. That was perfectly done, same as Franz talking about his dream, and the cut to Eugénie being excited for the next day.

To ignore all the plot and say it is the worst episode solely because of the shitty CGI is completely stupid.

Yeah CGI in a 2004 show that probably doesn't have a high budget to begin with. Whiners.

Ever rewatch Star Wars: attack of the clones? Looks horrible now. Things age.
Jan 13, 2016 11:27 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, big twist. I don't know why everyone else left Albert alone with Franz. I wanted to know the Count's reaction
Jun 11, 2016 11:41 AM

Feb 2016
I don't even know what to say anymore - this show started a bit slow but that's only because it had aimed for the highest pinnacle and you don't rush there but pace yourself to reach a target like this. Nonetheless I am not sure yet whether I'll call it a masterpiece or not. For this I still have some time to decide though.

I hadn't thought much of franz tbh but I guess the execution of a scene is what matters and that's why I was moved by this. The count himself apparently is ready to go all out and certainly isn't half assed about getting his revenge. An antagonist like him is rare to find these days. With this being said I want to move on to the next episode asap.
Jul 29, 2016 2:04 PM

Jan 2016
riots said:
Franz pulled the ultimate bro move.

ah yes, sacrificing yourself in a horrifically painful matter for your Bro. just guys being dudes.

idk why everyone is complaining about the CGI i thought it looked amazing, especially considering this how came out in 2004. like, they put so much character and life into those evangelions mechas and just bcus it looked a little weird for a couple parts everyone's shitting on it.

eggfish said:
I had no idea that Albert is only 15-16. I thought he was supposed to be 25. I'm too used to seeing anime characters go to high school all the time and since there's not a single trace of school in this show I just perceived him as much older.

me too lmao !! like i thought they were AT LEAST 19 or some shit !! it does explain albert's actions a bit but like he and franz went on like interplanetary vacations n shit and there were only like 15. it's just weird to think about.
im apollo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they/them pls
Nov 3, 2016 4:04 AM

Oct 2014
I've chosen to stop watching here. It seems like its nothing more than a miserable anime where everything is miserable for everyone involved, there isn't any character who gets to be happy, everyone and everything must be miserable! I suspect the girl is next when her family fortune is ruined and she is probably stolen away by the douchey guy.

Why would I want to watch something so dull?

I dont necessarily hate tradegy in fiction but when the entire anime is just 24 episodes of negativity, then it's basically schooldays tier storyline and characters.
MightySheepNov 3, 2016 4:07 AM
Nov 25, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2014
MightySheep said:
I've chosen to stop watching here. It seems like its nothing more than a miserable anime where everything is miserable for everyone involved, there isn't any character who gets to be happy, everyone and everything must be miserable! I suspect the girl is next when her family fortune is ruined and she is probably stolen away by the douchey guy.

Why would I want to watch something so dull?

I dont necessarily hate tradegy in fiction but when the entire anime is just 24 episodes of negativity, then it's basically schooldays tier storyline and characters.

Actaully, it does mean that you hate tragedies:
"Tragedy is kind of drama that presents a serious subject matter about human suffering and corresponding terrible events in a dignified manner."
The comparsion to school days is totally on called for.
Dec 15, 2016 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
Zadion said:
I guess I was watching something different from most the other people in this thread, because this is one of the finest anime episodes I have watched... ever.

The setting, atmosphere, art, animation, OST (as usual), all culminated into an utterly spectacular whole. As one of the world's few mecha fans, I anticipated a mecha fight in Gankutsuou of all anime to be tacky and ridiculous, but everything around it was executed so flawlessly that it ended up being thrilling, mesmerizing, and straight up bone chilling. I loved the choreography and attention to detail in the fight itself; the CGI wasn't amazing, but it most certainly wasn't awful and that couldn't even ruin it.

Suspecting Franz was inside that suit since the beginning of the episode, watching the dual unfold was some mix of exhilarating and tragic; as exciting as it was, I kept wanting it to stop. "No, don't, you're going to die!" And watching as Franz struggled to match blades with the Count yet failed at nearly every step, slowly being sliced apart, trembling yet moving forward with adamant persistence -- that was positively heart-rending. Even the directing was incredible. Just... wow.

This episode was just a roller coaster of emotions. I got chills several times. Ugh, the death scene was handled with expertise too. When I reminisce upon my Gankutsuou experience, surely this will be the highlight of my memories.

Pretty much all of this. Despite how the CGI looked, it did not take me out of the experience at all.
Best Gankutsuou episode so far and probably one of my favorite anime episodes in general.
Jan 7, 2017 6:05 PM

Aug 2014
That plot twist was fantastic, poor Franz he was the most ambitious character, though i didn't like the CGI mecha stuff, the fight was intense.
Excellent Episode.

I wonder how things will go now.
Feb 9, 2017 8:49 AM

Mar 2014
Well I mean now that Franz is dead I don't particularly care what happens to any of the other characters...
Feb 21, 2017 2:06 PM

Mar 2015
That was so sad. Poor Franz. :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2017 1:30 AM

Oct 2012
Not Franz, why good guys always went away first? :(

If you hate a person because of their parent's sins, you're an awful person
But then again that's just how unfair world's view
"Signature removed"
May 10, 2017 10:42 AM
Feb 2017
Franz's death hit me just about as hard as
This had me shook up.
Aug 5, 2017 9:33 AM

Feb 2013
Franz took his place.
This wouldn't have happened if they used a sword not a freaking mecha.
Aug 6, 2017 3:46 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
=( Franz was a hero until the very end...

A shame for Albert to only realize the most important people were always by his side when it's too late.
Nov 10, 2017 11:41 PM

Jan 2010
At first, I disliked the idea of using mechas, though given this is a futuristic setting, I accepted it as part of the show's interpretation of the original story. Then I realized that with the mechas, we couldn't see how the characters looked from outside, though any other show would have given us cockpit views. Gankutsuou, however, decided to keep it purely from the outside, so we could only guess what the characters were thinking, or even how they looked like. Then came that twist at the end, which truly did catch me off guard. Then the whole last scene which was purely silent. Holy crap, this show is amazing.
Jan 12, 2018 1:37 PM

Jan 2017
Kinda couldn't take those weird armour mechs seriously, would rather classic sword duel

...but still RIP Franz (I was lowkey expecting it to be him)
Jan 28, 2018 11:05 AM

Nov 2016
That was a predictable outcome,but it was still a very impressive and powerful episode.

RIP Franz,you were a bro.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 28, 2018 1:57 AM

Dec 2012
Watching it again several years later, this duel is absolutely haunting. It was still painful as all hell to watch Franz's armor get sliced up as he screamed in sheer, savage anguish. And though it wrenches my heart to say this considering Franz's tragic outcome, this episode is proof that perfection exists. I've seldom witnessed something that can build such a suffocating atmosphere and strangle the very soul as it desperately gasps with each strike.
Feb 3, 2019 2:44 PM
Feb 2019
Zadion said:

In the book mercedes made the count give up killing his son in the duel and Albert also gave up the duel and apologized with the count, gave reason for him to want to vongar of his father and the two leave Mondego.
The count considered himself a representative of Drus to take justice where men failed and used the old testament to justify the punishment against Albert, the children would also respond for the sin of the parents, but mercedes managed to convince him not to kill Albert.

The only duel in the book was reported by the grandfather of Valentine who killed Franz's father in a duel because Mr. de Nortier is a follower of Bonaparte and Franz's father was an anti Bonapartist. Nortier left a confession written of the duel before the stroke, was delivered to the franz so that he would give up on his marrie with a valentine, because she did not love him, and nortier' did not want his granddaughter to marry a man who she does not love.
Feb 6, 2019 10:09 AM

Jun 2015
Franz's death is one of the most depressing things in the series. His death was the one to most hurt me.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 6, 2019 10:14 AM

Jun 2015
HerodotoMeneceu said:
Zadion said:

In the book mercedes made the count give up killing his son in the duel and Albert also gave up the duel and apologized with the count, gave reason for him to want to vongar of his father and the two leave Mondego.
The count considered himself a representative of Drus to take justice where men failed and used the old testament to justify the punishment against Albert, the children would also respond for the sin of the parents, but mercedes managed to convince him not to kill Albert.

The only duel in the book was reported by the grandfather of Valentine who killed Franz's father in a duel because Mr. de Nortier is a follower of Bonaparte and Franz's father was an anti Bonapartist. Nortier left a confession written of the duel before the stroke, was delivered to the franz so that he would give up on his marrie with a valentine, because she did not love him, and nortier' did not want his granddaughter to marry a man who she does not love.

The anime is a darker version of the novel and I highly respect that.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 6, 2019 1:49 PM
Feb 2019
Niveen_Sleem said:
HerodotoMeneceu said:

The anime is a darker version of the novel and I highly respect that.

I was just talking about the differences.
I liked the anime, although I liked the book better.
Gankutsuou was better than Le Comte de Monte-Cristo (1998) and The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). It's my fifth adaptation favorite of book .

1 - Le comte de monte cristo (1979)
2 - The count of monte cristo (1964)
3 - uznik zamka if (1988)
4 - El conde de monte cristo (1941)
5 - Gankutsuou
Feb 7, 2019 1:05 AM

May 2016
The two of them duked it out on mechs while Mercedes screamed for Edmond to spare his opponent only for it to fall on deaf ears. The fight was so painfully one-sided that it hurts watching it even if the outcome's guaranteed. The reason why the fight was lost so easily was revealed in a plot twist that the pilot was actually Franz all along and it was heartbreaking. He sacrificed his life for his best friend that was led astray from the person who had slowly but surely pulled him away from him. He could've ended the Count's life then and there if he wasn't so far into his transformation into the Gankutsuou...

The opening actually being Franz's final dream made it all the more tragic.

Mar 5, 2019 6:01 AM
Oct 2018
Lol at people complaining about the mechs. I've been pretty luke-warm on this series from the start- the mechs were the best part of Gankutsuou for me (not that I'm into mechs, but at least *something* engaging was happening on the screen).

The art is nice, and the unique styling is... unique. I don't hate the styling/weird colouring in the seies- I feel like it could work in another context. But this show is so boring and pretentious, it just feels flowery and over-done.
Mar 5, 2019 9:33 AM

Dec 2015
@Apollo18 I would love to read about what you find pretentious in an animated adaptation of a popular XIXth serial novel, please.
Mar 6, 2019 2:31 AM
Oct 2018
Rei366 said:
@Apollo18 I would love to read about what you find pretentious in an animated adaptation of a popular XIXth serial novel, please.

Not even sure what you're trying to imply? That it's not pretentious? Or that because it's based on a "XIXth serial" novel it has no choice but to be pretentious?

Gankutsuou is insanely pretentious- it doesn't even try to hide that. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's a deliberate choice the creators/directors made.

The characters speak in flowery, genteel prose with aristocratic, sister-fucker accents. They wear flouncy, ornate clothes while they bicker about the nature of "true nobility" with viscounts and ladies-in-waiting. It's a cartoon that uses nacre and gold leaf, for fucks sake; not sure if you can get more pretententious than that.

And sure, it's based off a ̶1̶9̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶y̶ XIXth serial novel (lol, roman fucking numerals?!? jfc... ), but it's also set in a space-tech sci-fi future where blue-skinned aliens fight people in huge mechanical battlesuits- the directors could have made (and did make) whatever creative choices they wanted.

People make adaptations of Shakespear and Chaucer set in motorcycle gangs or spoken entirely in modern prison slang. Stuff like 'My Own Private Idaho' or '10 Things I Hate About You' or 'West Side Story' are adaptations of books far, far older than The Count of Monte Christo, but don't come off as stuffy, pretentious wankery like Gankutsuou does.

Just because you based a story on ̶a̶ ̶X̶I̶X̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶v̶e̶l̶ an old book doesn't mean you have to make it some pretentious, self-congratulatory wank-fest, designed to give your audience a reach-around about how super-interllectual and totes high-IQ they are for watching it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

172 by KrispyKlub »»
Apr 5, 5:45 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

48 by Dawizz »»
Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.