Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2012 4:14 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
AirStyles said:

Why can't she just say "F your proposal, I am not your property, deals off!"?

Because that's what most non-retarded women would do. Ergo, not suited for this anime that places such a high priority on unrealistic behaviour.

symbv said:

As much as Asuna is a prize, I think the important thing is that they are not fighting over Asuna as MEN fight over a girl. Heathcliff uses Asuna as a prize to lure Kirito in, not to take her as a girl. This is why it does not make sense to be reminded of Helen of Troy.

Still doesn't change the fact that the author wants women to be portrayed as prizes, damsels, overly emotionally attracted to guys they barely know, etc.

You are basing your whole argument on the wrong assumption that Asuna wanted to quit the guild.
Oct 29, 2012 4:16 AM
Oct 2012
Devilry said:
There's no reason why a duel should determine if Asuna gets to leave the guild temporarily or not.

If Kirito and Heathcliff truly cared about how Asuna felt, they would discuss about Asuna's expectations when she joined the guild, and whether she was informed (and assented to) the high level of commitment expected of her without the freedom to take breaks every now and then.

And, they would then proceed to negotiate for a position where Asuna is able to spend more time with Kirito without completely neglecting her duties as vice commander.

But of course, they'd very much rather fight it out like two wild animals fighting over a mate. It doesn't matter that Heathcliff isn't romantically interested in Asuna; to Kirito, he is given a chance to display his masculinity, so that he may deny other men access to Asuna's attention.

Heathcliff doesn't care if Asuna takes a break or not. He just used the opportunity that was presented to him to get the strongest solo player to join his guild. He had a 100% chance to win.
Oct 29, 2012 4:17 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
Think about it for a bit.

Even if Asuna do quit the guild.

You'd think they won't turn to her for help.

As far as the show have shown, she's easily one of the top players. If Kirito can join the front line as a solo, why can't Asuna leave her guild and join front line with Kirito as a Duo if the guild is causing her so much grieve like she said?

Because being in a guild has its merits.ANd seriously?I cant imagine how you would react about the "sexism" of SAO if she was following him for the rest of the game(if they had to clear all 100 floors) just because the guild was "bad".
Oct 29, 2012 4:19 AM
Jul 2009
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:
There's no reason why a duel should determine if Asuna gets to leave the guild temporarily or not.

If Kirito and Heathcliff truly cared about how Asuna felt, they would discuss about Asuna's expectations when she joined the guild, and whether she was informed (and assented to) the high level of commitment expected of her without the freedom to take breaks every now and then.

And, they would then proceed to negotiate for a position where Asuna is able to spend more time with Kirito without completely neglecting her duties as vice commander.

But of course, they'd very much rather fight it out like two wild animals fighting over a mate. It doesn't matter that Heathcliff isn't romantically interested in Asuna; to Kirito, he is given a chance to display his masculinity, so that he may deny other men access to Asuna's attention.

Heathcliff doesn't care if Asuna takes a break or not. He just used the opportunity that was presented to him to get the strongest solo player to join his guild. He had a 100% chance to win.

Okay, so what was Kirito's reason for saying yes?
Oct 29, 2012 4:19 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

Still doesn't change the fact that the author wants women to be portrayed as prizes, damsels, overly emotionally attracted to guys they barely know, etc.

As if the author portrayed a lot of WOMEN as prizes (plural).... It is true that the novel displays certain elements of male fantasy which manifests itself the MC saving girls (but mind you he also saves guys as well) and finding girls strangely take a liking of him even spending not that much time with him. That said, I doubt much can be applied to Asuna because, as others have argued, she is not always like a damsel or just following whatever Kirito says or wants.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 4:20 AM

Jun 2009
It's not about me basing my assumption on Asuna want to quit

The guild clearly treat Asuna like a property. She is not a property. She is a 17 years old girl.

They have no right to use her as a prize for Kirito to attain.

This is my house, Asuna is my oven, if you want the oven, you have to beat me in 5 point street basketball...

Yes, Asuna is like an oven. Because she don't even have the right to object the proposal, because she is... a property.

Let's assume this is not sexism toward women,

Let's just assume, Asuna is a guy and Kirito is gay.

This is still wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2012 4:20 AM

Apr 2009
whatever123456 said:

You are basing your whole argument on the wrong assumption that Asuna wanted to quit the guild.

Like Devilry, I base my argument around the fact that the author WANTS to portray women in a sexist way. Something you didn't refute til now, by the way.

symbv said:

As if the author portrayed a lot of WOMEN as prizes (plural).... It is true that the novel displays certain elements of male fantasy which manifests itself the MC saving girls (but mind you he also saves guys as well) and finding girls strangely take a liking of him even spending not that much time with him. That said, I doubt much can be applied to Asuna because, as others have argued, she is not always like a damsel or just following whatever Kirito says or wants.

Not always, but often enough to make it clear what the authors intentions are. And just as you said, the rest of the women confirm these intentions.
NidhoeggrOct 29, 2012 4:24 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 29, 2012 4:22 AM
Oct 2012
Devilry said:
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:

He is pretty competitive and couldn't resist the chance to fight the currently strongest player.
In addition, he said that he will be content either way, since joining the guild would also mean staying with Asuna.
Oct 29, 2012 4:24 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
whatever123456 said:

Like Devilry, I base my argument around the fact that the author WANTS to portray women in a sexist way. Something you didn't refute til now, by the way.

So you can read the author's mind? Or do you have any quote where he says that he wants to portray women in a sexist way. If you don't have one, why are you stating your claim as a fact?
I refuted your argument that Asuna was a damsel in distress in 9-14 and told you that you misunderstood the characters' intentions in the duel scene, I don't see you refuting any of that.
Oct 29, 2012 4:25 AM
Jul 2009
Also, why would Kirito - upon learning that Asuna is trapped in a birdcage - decide to take it upon himself to rescue her instead of reporting it to the relevant authorities.

After all, if Asuna's father knows that there was a possibility that she is deliberately being held captive inside the game, he has the power to forcibly remove Sugou from his position long enough for a thorough investigation to be made.

Kirito doesn't even consider this option. Why? Because HE has to be the one to rescue Asuna, and him alone (maybe with the help of a few other girls - NO GUYS THO), so that he may claim her sexuality as his reward.

With this in mind, he conveniently puts Asuna through far more danger than needed.
Oct 29, 2012 4:26 AM

Sep 2012
AirStyles said:

The guild clearly treat Asuna like a property.

That would be like saying Asuna is like a slave in the guild.

AirStyles said:

Yes, Asuna is like an oven. Because she don't even have the right to object the proposal, because she is... a property.

I think Asuna meant to object but Kirito agreed to fight. To Asuna she is not really against the idea that Kirito joins the guild (Asuna asked him to join before) and if Kirito agrees to Heathcliff's term about joining she just let him be.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 4:26 AM
Jul 2009
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:

He is pretty competitive and couldn't resist the chance to fight the currently strongest player.
In addition, he said that he will be content either way, since joining the guild would also mean staying with Asuna.

That's a perfect example of him putting his own interests over Asuna, and not caring what Asuna wants.

Why is it that he gets to do this, when Asuna can't do the same?
Oct 29, 2012 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
Devilry said:
Also, why would Kirito - upon learning that Asuna is trapped in a birdcage - decides to take it upon himself to rescue her instead of reporting it to the relevant authorities.

How can they find out she is really up there? They cannot become a character in the game to find out. If they approach the game company, the guy would delay them and within a week or so he would have reached his goal.

And given Asuna's father trusted that guy so much. How likely he will remove him before an investigation is to start? Kirito does not know Asuna's father that well. How can he be sure that her father will trust him more than that guy, who has a long and trusted relationship with him?

Oct 29, 2012 4:28 AM

Sep 2012
Assna wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place if she just knew her role and stayed in the damn kitchen.
Oct 29, 2012 4:29 AM

Aug 2008
I think she's displayed much more as property in the ALO arc and
symbv said:
Devilry said:
Also, why would Kirito - upon learning that Asuna is trapped in a birdcage - decides to take it upon himself to rescue her instead of reporting it to the relevant authorities.

How can they find out she is really up there? They cannot become a character in the game to find out. If they approach the game company, the guy would delay them and within a week or so he would have reached his goal.

Except Kirito says himself in the LN he should have just let the adults handle it, but he chose not too because he liked being the hero. boop

Jun 2009
Just went back and skim through episode 10

Asuna actually call Kirito an idiot for taking the bait.

Great... Even Asuna acknowledge herself as a prize...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2012
Devilry said:
Also, why would Kirito - upon learning that Asuna is trapped in a birdcage - decide to take it upon himself to rescue her instead of reporting it to the relevant authorities.

After all, if Asuna's father knows that there was a possibility that she is deliberately being held captive inside the game, he has the power to forcibly remove Sugou from his position long enough for a thorough investigation to be made.

Kirito doesn't even consider this option. Why? Because HE has to be the one to rescue Asuna, and him alone (maybe with the help of a few other girls - NO GUYS THO), so that he may claim her sexuality as his reward.

With this in mind, he conveniently puts Asuna through far more danger than needed.

First of all, teenagers in anime never report anything to the authorites, that wouldn't make for a good story.
Also, Sugou could easily kill Asuna or at least hide her somewhere else if such a thing happened and a 16 year old teenager with a trauma would be taken seriously.
Oct 29, 2012 4:30 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Devilry said:

But Alfheim Online is sold in stores and everybody can log in and out of the game as they please as long as they aren't test subjects for Mr. Generic Evil Guy.

cksdayoff said:
Assna wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place if she just knew her role and stayed in the damn kitchen.

Well, she did take cooking as one of her skills to make delicious meals for us males.
Oct 29, 2012 4:31 AM

Sep 2012
AirStyles said:
Just went back and skim through episode 10

Asuna actually call Kirito an idiot for taking the bait.

Great... Even Asuna acknowledge herself as a prize...

Yeah, it is very clear the fist time I watched the episode. No problem for me at all.

Oct 29, 2012 4:32 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

But Alfheim Online is sold in stores and everybody can log in and out of the game as they please as long as they aren't test subjects for Mr. Generic Evil Guy.

Yes, but even if they login they would not be able to reach the birdcage, right? How can they confirm Asuna is really up there?

Oct 29, 2012 4:33 AM
Oct 2012
Devilry said:
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:
whatever123456 said:
Devilry said:

That's a perfect example of him putting his own interests over Asuna, and not caring what Asuna wants.

Why is it that he gets to do this, when Asuna can't do the same?

Asuna does the same when she decides to join the raid on the skull reaper despite Kirito wanting her to stay at home and when she decides to risk her life to help Kirito against the fatal scythe or whatever the reaper boss was called.
Both moments where it could have been sexist to make her obey and stay at home/save herself and both times she decided to put herself in danger and not be the woman who stays at home while the man fights.

Edit: And seriously, you expect Kirito to say "No, I won't fight you, Asuna can stay here and we won't have our honeymoon" when they just married and are deeply in love with each other?
Oct 29, 2012 4:35 AM
Jul 2009
whatever123456 said:

First of all, teenagers in anime never report anything to the authorites, that wouldn't make for a good story.
Also, Sugou could easily kill Asuna or at least hide her somewhere else if such a thing happened and a 16 year old teenager with a trauma would be taken seriously.

If you need to resort to sexist portrayals to tell a good story, then something is wrong.

Also, I'm pretty sure that this is not what's going through Kirito's head when he decides to save Asuna via the game.

After all, if Sugou is powerful enough to do something against people above him, then it makes even less sense to expect to be successful in the game, where he is already one of the chief developers.

But of course, it's far more heroic, and it allows Kirito to better lay claim to Asuna's sexuality.
Oct 29, 2012 4:36 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Yes, but even if they login they would not be able to reach the birdcage, right? How can they confirm Asuna is really up there?

Because there are no legal authorities with executional power in the world of SAO, right? (On second thought, it doesn't seem that way as nobody could find the creator of the game within a two years...) As Devilry said, the system is now so open and connected to the real world that it is bullshit not to resolve this matter in a realistic way.
But then again, apprently you can marry a comatose woman in this anime and nobody minds (another great example of sexism, by the way - I mean, you can't objectify someone more than that).
Oct 29, 2012 4:39 AM
Jul 2012
Jizz, just because you hate Asuna doesn't mean you can say anything you want.
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Oct 29, 2012 4:40 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
As Devilry said, the system is now so open and connected to the real world that it is bullshit not to resolve this matter in a realistic way.

You mean the authority can just hack into the system and miraculously find out Asuna is really out there? That does not make it more realistic than what we have seen though.

Oct 29, 2012 4:42 AM
Oct 29, 2012 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:
As Devilry said, the system is now so open and connected to the real world that it is bullshit not to resolve this matter in a realistic way.

You mean the authority can just hack into the system and miraculously find out Asuna is really out there? That does not make it more realistic than what we have seen though.

They can take Suguo into custody, they can investigate his team, the technology behind the incident, etc. You know, just like they do in real life... it's not like he can do something against his prisoners when he himself is locked up.
Oct 29, 2012 4:43 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
Flaws.Flaws everywhere.

enjoying the show?
Oct 29, 2012 4:47 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
Flaws.Flaws everywhere.

enjoying the show?

I just find retarded that when it comes to SAO it has EVERY SINGLE flaw in existence.

It's not SAO has flaws anymore.It has become, it has flaws BECAUSE it IS SAO.
Oct 29, 2012 4:47 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

They can take Suguo into custody, they can investigate his team, the technology behind the incident, etc. You know, just like they do in real life... it's not like he can do something against his prisoners when he himself is locked up.

Why do people, that think the executive of a big company would be taken into custody because a teenager that just suffered a traumatic event accused him of something without any evidence, complain about the realism in SAO?
Oct 29, 2012 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Why do people, that think the executive of a big company would be taken into custody because a teenager that just suffered a traumatic event accused him of something without any evidence, complain about the realism in SAO?

Why can't he show the screen shot to Asuna's papa?
Oct 29, 2012 4:50 AM
Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

And then what? They (maybe) confront Sugou and he just says that Kirito forged it (I mean look at the quality) because he is jealous of him marrying his ingame waifu and laugh it off.
Oct 29, 2012 4:50 AM

Aug 2012
ssjokg said:
Flaws.Flaws everywhere.

Every typical shounenshit have flaws everywhere... but somehow I enjoyed it a bit.
Oct 29, 2012 4:52 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

There would be no evidence that the screenshot IS from ALO.And Kirito can use a computer to make a screenshot like this.Sugou although useless, can refute any of Kazuto's claims.
Oct 29, 2012 4:57 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

There would be no evidence that the screenshot IS from ALO.And Kirito can use a computer to make a screenshot like this.Sugou although useless, can refute any of Kazuto's claims.

So the only option is to play the game?
Oct 29, 2012 4:58 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Who ever said that Kirito is smart when he isnt in fornt of a pc?
Oct 29, 2012 5:00 AM
Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

He could also play detective irl but he didn't know that Sugou was behind this. He just saw the screenshot Agil gave him.
Oct 29, 2012 5:03 AM

Aug 2009
whatever123456 said:
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

He could also play detective irl but he didn't know that Sugou was behind this. He just saw the screenshot Agil gave him.

Thats exactly what I mean by Kirito being an idiot.I mean, who didnt realize that Sugou was behind this when we saw/read about the pic?
Oct 29, 2012 5:04 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

Take Suguo into custody with what evidence?

Oct 29, 2012 5:06 AM

Aug 2012
ssjokg said:
whatever123456 said:
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Thats exactly what I mean by Kirito being an idiot.I mean, who didnt realize that Sugou was behind this when we saw/read about the pic?

Maybe wanted to confirm if the screen shot was not shooped and had suspected Sugou in his mind. But I'm with Kirito being an idiot though.
Oct 29, 2012 5:11 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

The word of a traumatized teenager is apparently enough to arrest the executive of a big company.
Oct 29, 2012 5:15 AM

Aug 2009
whatever123456 said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

The word of a traumatized teenager is apparently enough to arrest the executive of a big company.
It happens everyday.
Oct 29, 2012 5:37 AM

Sep 2012
Oh what an enlightening thread this has become.

Thank you internet.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Oct 29, 2012 5:45 AM

Sep 2012
Get over yourself feminists and stop trying to ruin everything.
Oct 29, 2012 6:18 AM

Apr 2009
Arukan said:

I normally am not fond of the overprotective nature some feminists display when it comes down to certain areas of real life. However, is it too much to want consistent independent characters when they're initially portrayed this way?
Oct 29, 2012 6:20 AM

Sep 2008
Evidence? Too easy! Too easy! Remember how this villain is very talkative like a brain dead idiot? Gary Stu should just active his phone when he's not looking, and record everything.

Edit : It can't do anything about arresting him. But at least, Asoona's Papa will realize that this guy is a scum, and he shouldn't give her daughter to him. Heck, do you normally give your comatose daughter in a hand of marriage?
EterniaOct 29, 2012 6:27 AM
Oct 29, 2012 6:22 AM

Apr 2009
Eternia said:
Evidence? Too easy! Too easy! Remember how this villain is very talkative like a brain dead idiot? Gary Stu should just active his phone when he's not looking, and record everything.

Also, in the future nobody is able to look into save data.
Oct 29, 2012 6:30 AM

Aug 2009
Eternia said:

Because Kirito knew what Sugou was going to say right?But yeah Kirito is so OP that he has the ability to foresight...And Sugou will obviously talk to Kirito again.

You guys try so hard to make SAO look WAY worse than it is.
Oct 29, 2012 6:32 AM

Sep 2012
Eternia said:

Yeah, trick him into talking, right? Perhaps worth a try. No guarantee that it would work - this guy may just evade Kirito until the day when he reaches his goal.

Oct 29, 2012 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Arukan said:

I normally am not fond of the overprotective nature some feminists display when it comes down to certain areas of real life. However, is it too much to want consistent independent characters when they're initially portrayed this way?

I'm talking about Feminists trying to force their ''THAT'S SEXIST'' shit on Anime. Not about the sole character of Asuna. It's just annoying to hear them cry everytime when Females get displayed in a way they don't like.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
Yesterday, 10:18 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.