Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 2, 2008 11:39 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
In the words of M. Night Shyamalan (kind of): What a twist!
Glad to finally see an episode without the same old plot as the first 6.

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Jan 19, 2009 1:21 PM
Oct 2007
Nice twist. But I really wanted to see what they would have done if that Ayaka girl did pull the string first.
Feb 12, 2009 10:04 AM
Sep 2008
That is something i am also interested in. In general, would they even grant revenge and execute it for something trivial like 'That guy stole my seat in the bus, ferry him to hell', or something along those lines. xD
Up till now Hell Girl was quite entertaining, but very monotonous.
Jul 22, 2009 8:52 AM

May 2009
Wow, it was refreshing to finally see something different. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Ayaka though; she was actually a believable character. Probably the most realistic I've seen on the show so far. Not everyone is a sinless victim. I was a little sad to see her ferried to hell.
Jul 28, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2007
From what I've seen so far they decline the request if they don't believe the request is worthy of being sent to hell.

This ep was pretty cool though. I thought something was gonna happen to Ayaka, but wasn't sure how it was gonna play out.

Aug 23, 2009 5:34 AM

Aug 2009
I really loved this episode. Liked the little plot twist too.
Sep 18, 2009 9:14 PM

Aug 2009
Lol motherfucker, that Ayaka got owned by that tv actress girl! Didn't see that coming.

I thought Ayaka would pull the string, but she was too late because that actress got to it first lolololo.
Oct 24, 2009 5:16 PM

Apr 2009
The twist threw me, thought it was a great episode, I enjoyed it a lot.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Nov 6, 2009 3:37 PM

Apr 2009
folshi said:
Wow, it was refreshing to finally see something different. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Ayaka though; she was actually a believable character. Probably the most realistic I've seen on the show so far. Not everyone is a sinless victim. I was a little sad to see her ferried to hell.

I kind of agree with this.
I felt sorry for Ayaka even though she shouldn't have done that to that other girl...

But what happens If someone actually regrets what they've done...?Oo
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 11, 2009 3:58 AM

Feb 2009
That was surprising. To think that the string was pulled by someone esle.
Dec 28, 2009 1:14 PM

Nov 2009
wow it must suck to have the table turned on her i REALLY wasnt expecting that...
Jan 30, 2010 12:23 AM
Sep 2009
Whoa, crap! Best episode thus far, hands down! :D
Very very intriguing to see the villain's side of the story, and the twist with the other actress was pure win. :3
Just my two cents.
Feb 4, 2010 11:37 AM

Aug 2008
finally other script, great < 3
Feb 6, 2010 5:17 PM

Nov 2009
I was wondering if Ayaka would be able to confess her sins during her questioning, I know I would have. She knew the consequences better than the ones before her due to the circumstances so she should have tried to really repent.

Kauroko is the real victim in all of this and it's a shame she had to pay the ultimate price.

Kurenai seemed pretty straight up as well so I guess it figures that she would be defended in a way by Ai's group.
Mar 18, 2010 5:10 PM

Aug 2008
Ayaka got upped by the other girl eh? What a twist!
May 1, 2010 5:26 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 3, 2010 6:59 AM

Dec 2009
So in the end even if you can take revenge , that doesn't mean others can't !XD
Oct 16, 2010 5:14 PM

Sep 2009
Wish Ayaka cudve gone to hell without that girl paying the price.
The madam was never rly horrible to begin with, just straight with her business.
Dec 26, 2010 2:58 AM

Aug 2010

What did they make the actress girl drink?...i can't think of anything that would make you lose your voice but not kill/hospitalise you.
Dec 26, 2010 6:46 PM

Jan 2010
didnt expext a twist
Jan 29, 2011 12:54 PM
Jun 2010
Loved the twist, but even if the episodes always follow the same path it's still nice to see people getting whats coming to them every time. I think I really would have liked to see them flat out reject her request to kill her adopted mom and make her go on living her life after showing her true colours.

It still amazes me how common it is in anime for someone to be abducted in a crowded area and taken to an abandoned warehouse...its like the abducted never say anything as they are being taken out of said crowded area.
Feb 16, 2011 12:56 AM

Oct 2008
Nice twist. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 7, 2011 6:15 AM

May 2011
It seems some people feel sorry for Ayaka.... I don't, I dislike selfish people like her, she did not even seem to hold any real regret for what she did in the end, nearly everything she did was just an act to satisfy herself even if it meant hurting others in the process. I was expecting a twist since I assumed the producers would want to avoid a constant monotony, I am glad the twist was rather unpredictable, it motivates me to see more episodes.
Jan 15, 2012 7:28 AM

Dec 2011
5/5

best episode so far
Signature:
May 5, 2012 6:48 AM

Jun 2011
Wow this episode was finally something different! More like this! :D
I'm also curious to know what they'd have done if the girl had pulled the string earlier
And what's the deal with admitting your crimes? Would they really have not taken her to hell? Or is it case-specific whether admitting the crimes equals forgiving or not?
Looking forward to more episodes with twists like these :)
May 9, 2012 3:23 PM

Feb 2012
Annisa said:
Nice twist. But I really wanted to see what they would have done if that Ayaka girl did pull the string first.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure we'll see someone else "unworthy" try to pull the string in a later episode.
Aug 5, 2012 8:56 AM

May 2012
Nice episode but what a bitchy main character! I though something like that would happen or at least that the hell girl didn't allowed her to proceed with her request!
Aug 13, 2012 7:25 PM

Aug 2010
Best episode so far, what a twist.
Sep 14, 2012 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
Ayaka was a very real intelligent character, the first of this show. I hope future episodes will deliver such a twist. Regarding her sentence to hell, I felt bias, maybe because she is still a child, but I wonder if she was truly truthful about repenting her sins, would the four allow her to live? My assumption is yes. Recently the four has investigate their request's before making the final decision. Felt bad for the mother too, but she should of talk to Ayaka on why the harsh treatment, instead of doing it without words.
Jan 11, 2013 4:11 PM
Aug 2012
That was a 5/5 episode . I was so shocked to see how the tables turned but I never suspected Ayaka to turn into such a monster...thats why Enmi was probably following her most of the time . She got what she deserved .
tburberryApr 1, 2013 4:39 PM
Feb 11, 2013 11:44 AM

Jun 2011
Finally a different episode. The previous 6 were all the same thing.
"Nobody knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite"- Rintarou Okabe
Jun 13, 2013 8:10 PM

Jun 2012
when she let this guys force down the drink trough her throat I just knew this actress would make a deal to kill her and second time some one was kinda laughing while she did go to hell cool episode.

like some others also I wonder what will happen when some one actually admit there sins at first I thought it would not save them but sometimes they refuse requests as well cause they think not worthy so I can't stop wonder what would happen and if they saved is the one who made the deal saved as well or would that person still go to hell when they die that would suck. for sure this will be in a later episode.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jul 14, 2013 8:35 AM
Aug 2012
cool turn around, i really liked it
Jul 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Oct 2012
Finally a plot twist!
5/5
Oct 17, 2013 1:29 AM

Aug 2010
Finally, a break in the usual formula!

Too bad that execution lacked...is it really worth going to hell just because you have lost your voice and dream? One of the previous victims for example was in a life or death situation (kinda forced her into making the deal, that still irks me to this day). The focus of this whole franchise is the psychology that allows someone to bear eternal punishment for granting "revenge", but the episode focused on this other plot. Anyway, I'm hoping we'll see more variation, for example someone realizing that eternal damnation isn't worth it and refuses the deal, or a cursed person admitting their sins, this episode especially seemed to imply that it would maybe save them from hell or something. 3/5.
Dec 12, 2013 9:56 PM

Jan 2010
That was actually a really interesting episode. I'm impressed.
Mar 19, 2014 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
Watching the past episodes must have fixed my mindset on the story.. normally I'd see this twist coming.
I never knew Ayaka's true self was that evil.. otherwise I'd sympathize with her the harsh moments.
The feeling of all the hard work going to waste is quite common among most of us.
It's sad for the mum.. she shouldn't be that strict.
I'm looking forward to someone using hell link for murder.. lol. ;)
Apr 26, 2014 1:00 PM

Jun 2011
Eh, kind of stupid, they need the "Jigoku Shoujo" for every little thing now.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 8, 2014 9:39 AM
Aug 2011
ToG25thBaam said:
Eh, kind of stupid, they need the "Jigoku Shoujo" for every little thing now.

Duh, think about it logically. Give people a tool and someone will abuse it. Think of how many senseless murders over petty things there are in the world. The hell correspondence site is no different, people will abuse things for stupid and selfish reasons. Often without worrying to much about the consequences especially when they get angry or emotional about it.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Petty-motives-behind-too-many-killings-Experts/articleshow/30877554.cms

In this article they talk about some of these. A store owner who was shot for asking a customer to wait in line. A family murdered by a neighbor over where they parked their car. Someone killed because they wouldn't play the music someone wanted at a bar. All of this actually happened. Welcome to humanity. Logic and rationality don't always matter.

Is it stupid at times? Yes, but it's perfectly realistic.
Jun 26, 2014 2:49 AM
Dec 2013
Yay a twist~ I didn't feel sorry for Ayaka all that much at all. I didn't know the director was her mother at first, so I kept on wondering why didn't she just quit? Then she got jealous of the actor enough to make her lose her voice. What a spoiled brat.
Sep 19, 2014 9:28 AM

Jan 2014
Nice twist :)
Sep 24, 2014 7:05 PM

Feb 2013
Honestly I saw that twist coming right when the main chick hired those guys to mess with the mother, it was just really obvious she would be the one getting sent to hell after that.

I still wish she would have sent the mother to hell though, she was a real bitch.
Shape430Sep 24, 2014 7:08 PM
Oct 1, 2014 11:01 PM

Nov 2013
HOLY FUCK THAT PLOT TWIST! Wow was not expecting the MC of the week to get sent to hell. Man this episode fucking 1-Up'd the last one.
FunnyRatmanOct 1, 2014 11:08 PM

Oct 12, 2014 7:12 PM

Dec 2012
Right as I consider dropping the show, this happens. Man when that chick grabbed the doll and it was a regular straw one I was like "oh.....ohhhhh.....oh shiiiiit!" I feel so bad for that other actress though, absolutely nothing improved for her.
Dec 28, 2014 8:31 AM

Jun 2013
Best episode yet! Ayaka was awful!
Mar 9, 2015 11:50 PM

Jun 2014
Loved the change up this episode although this episode did pose me with more questions. :)

Firstly, I love Ayaka's seiyuu! Mion/Shion.♥ But anyways, I did not feel bad for Ayaka at all to get the one way ticket to Hell. She did not seem to regret the things she did and she seemed extremely selfish and deceitful. I mean she pretty much said she will do anything to have her way. At first I was upset how Kurenai was treating her-- but the harsh instruction isn't something to send someone to Hell for. -.-

I felt bad that the actress had to give her soul to send Ayaka. She is the victim in all this and I am sad for her.

Now this shows that Hell Girl & gang DO put some thought or investigation in who summons them. I really want to know if the actress hadn't pulled the string on Ayaka if she would have still been able to pull the string or because of her actions, Hell Girl would not allow that to happen? Oh boy!

And the old man said something along the lines of "if you don't regret, you'll go to Hell." Something like that. So is that implying if she did truly feel sorry would she NOT go to Hell? And I wonder if those people who give up their souls are still destined to go if said person does confess and feel bad.

Questions, questions... I hope we get the answers someday!
May 20, 2015 7:04 AM

Dec 2014
lol Mion/Shion/Kagome's voice. That was a nice twist for a change. I wonder what would happen if a person in a wrong pulled the string like Ayaka was about to do.
Mar 20, 2016 3:41 AM

Mar 2015
That's interesting. Didn't expect the twist. I was pretty sure the mother will be sent to hell, glad I was wrong.

Ai in her winter outfit is cute!

Apr 28, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2013
I found it weird the mother wasn't traumatized at all to the break-in and was instantly inquisitive to the daughter. I get the daughter is supposed to be bad at acting, but I also found it ironic that she must've been good at acting to fool 4 devils for a while til they changed their mind about her. I also find it strange that it seems these devils are working towards some sort-of justice in their actions, while they're still heavily screwing over both parties. If the devils didn't constantly work with moody teens, they'd likely have their deal rejected by many sensible people.

I also found it strange that the mother got really emotional in the last moment out of no-where. She was willing to walk away entirely just moments before tearing up. It'd have been more interesting if she was toying with the daughter with actual "good" acting to get her to tell the truth more openly, but nope.

Overall, meh episode. Episode 6 is the most interesting so far, but all are way too melodramatic for my tastes. But I continue in hopes an actual story will arise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.