Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2012 9:27 PM

Sep 2012
Before I know this 'chuunibyou' word, I call character like Rikka , such as Kuroneko (Oreimo) and Erio (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko), who live off in their own little dream worlds and have trouble communicating with the real world as 'denpa' girl.

Now many people also call Kuroneko and Erio as chuunibyou character too. It made me little confused about how to use these two words.

I found this picture in Yaraon blog. I guess it is the picture
http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1350970168699.jpg

Does anyone know what's different between 'chuunibyou' and 'denpa'?
Oct 23, 2012 9:49 PM

Nov 2010
My guess is Denpa is akin to a conspiracy theorist while chuunibyou is a kid with an over active imagination.

So you could see it as:
Denpa = adult
chuunibyou = middle school student

but it's just my guess.
Oct 23, 2012 9:56 PM

Nov 2010
I know denpa means crazy, I think it has to do with something about radio waves which is denpa in japanese.

Not completely sure about chuunibyou which is where somebody is obsessed with being someone else like an anime character and lives their life like that.
Oct 24, 2012 12:19 AM

Jul 2011
電波(Denpa) means electromagnetic wave which is use to describe people who act abnormally, having wild fantasy and strange behavior. 中二病 (Chuunibyou) literally translated as 'Second-year middle school disease' or ’Eight-grader syndrome' which meaning is quite similar.

More about these definitions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denpa
http://en.dic.pixiv.net/a/Chuunibyou
Oct 24, 2012 3:23 AM

Sep 2012
Madcat_Zam said:
My guess is Denpa is akin to a conspiracy theorist while chuunibyou is a kid with an over active imagination.

So you could see it as:
Denpa = adult
chuunibyou = middle school student

but it's just my guess.

I've heard that Chuunibyou can use with grown-up people too. Such as Okabe Rintarou who already is university student.

dreznovk said:
電波(Denpa) means electromagnetic wave which is use to describe people who act abnormally, having wild fantasy and strange behavior. 中二病 (Chuunibyou) literally translated as 'Second-year middle school disease' or ’Eight-grader syndrome' which meaning is quite similar.

More about these definitions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denpa
http://en.dic.pixiv.net/a/Chuunibyou

I know their meanings. But I'm confused about how to use them correctly. Because someone told me we should call Kuroneko as 'Denpa', not 'Chuunibyou'.
Oct 24, 2012 6:02 AM

Jul 2011
Looking at their meaning, it seem chuunibyou people do weird stuff to attract people's attention while denpa one doesn't always care about how people think about them.

It's just my guess so i'm not really sure though.
Oct 24, 2012 9:05 AM

May 2009
Judging by those descriptions, denpa is more akin to being autistic than being truly crazy. Denpa people act weird and are often emotionally distant. Usually, they are very talented in one specific area (e.g. painting). Examples of denpa characters: Erio Touwa (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko) and I think Mashiro Shina (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo) also belongs in this category.

Chuunis merely have an overactive imagination. They usually don't have much trouble socializing, but try to act different from others, either by thinking they have superpowers, or acting very arrogant and claiming they know it all. Examples are Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) and Kobato Hasegawa (Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2012 9:22 AM

Sep 2012
I have spent a lot of time reading Japanese anime blogs and forum, so I have pretty good confidence about the difference between Denpa and Chu2byo.

Basically what AO968 said, but Denpa is also used to describe a type of songs that sound a repetitive electronic beat with weird but quickly delivered lyrics. Examples of Denpa include Denpa Onna OP, Ika-Musume 1st season OP, Working 1st season OP

As for Chu2byo, the first episode of this anime basically gives a rough explanation. The key feature is they spend a lot of time in a fantasy world that is projected onto the reality world, and they imagine themselves to be special member in this world. However, as the pixiv link shows, it is just one of the 3 main types of Chu2byo. There are the Subculture type who involve themselves heavily in subculture like underground rock or heavy metal just to show themselves special and out of mainstream although they don't really love the subculture they involve. There are also the DQN type who pretend themselves to be delinquents even though they are not really a true member of such groups, and they can tell lies about their DQN (delinquent) exploits, just to make themselves special.

Chu2byo is now also used to denote a type of anime/manga/novel that seems to be the product of an author who has Chu2byo (the fantasy / evil eye type). A main feature of a chu2byo anime/manga/novel is that it has an overly complex setting for the world and the character's powers, and the naming of the characters, weapons, powers, places can sound obscure and difficult too. Examples of recent anime that is being called "chu2byo" by fans in Japan include Code Breaker and Zetsuen no Tempest.

Kuroneko is DEFINITELY a CHUNIBYO. She is called so in the novel. The novel she wrote fits the chu2byo novel stereotype perfectly. She loves to dress and talk like a character from her fantasy world.

Erio is also clearly a DENPA. A denpa person can seem to talk nonsense and behave in some surreal manner. Erio jumping into the river or her claim to be an alien is an example of that. Unlike a (fantasy type) Chu2byo, she does not imagine the world in a complexly detailed fantasy setting. She just has some ideas that are so weird or far-fetched that they are incomprehensible to others.

If you still have any more question, let me know.
symbvOct 24, 2012 9:33 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 24, 2012 10:00 PM

Jul 2012
To my Chuunibyous are basically people who live in the "magical" realm such as dark flame master and etc. Denpas are more like Erio since she doesn't really fit as a main character in some rpg, just a weirdo.
Oct 24, 2012 10:03 PM

Oct 2010
denpa is weird
chuunibyou is childish act that mimic anime or game character
Signature Removed
Oct 24, 2012 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
Philos-Shinji said:

I found this picture in Yaraon blog. I guess it is the picture
http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1350970168699.jpg

By the way, this picture was first posted in futaba - a 2ch-like anonymous forum that allows image posts (kind of like 4chan) - in a thread related to chuunibyou. The consensus there is that Erio is definitely no chuunibyou. And even Kirito and Mami are chuunibyou only in the imagination of doujin authors.

Also, the image serves to compare the height of the characters. The note in Yaraon for the image is how surprisingly tall Kuroneko is.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 25, 2012 6:50 AM

Mar 2009
symbv said:

tl;dr version - Chuunibyou are trying to look cool to impress people around their age and are self-important trying to be unique. Denpa act the way they act without a clear reason, most will be aloof and/or completely out of tune with reality.
Oct 25, 2012 11:30 AM
Jun 2012
As I wrote in another thread, I think this anime confuses people over how chunibyu is used in Japan. While what is shown fall under chunibyo, it would be an extreme form of what is already a somewhat unusual type. Chunibyu would cover any weird stuff done in order to feel 'special'.

Dempa would be harsher, and used for people who are perceived to have mental issues. Persecutionary delusion included. But usage is rather vague and subjective, so it may well be sufficient for someone to be gloomy and shy to be called it.
Oct 25, 2012 11:55 AM
Jun 2012
symbv said:

Chu2byo is now also used to denote a type of anime/manga/novel that seems to be the product of an author who has Chu2byo (the fantasy / evil eye type). A main feature of a chu2byo anime/manga/novel is that it has an overly complex setting for the world and the character's powers, and the naming of the characters, weapons, powers, places can sound obscure and difficult too. Examples of recent anime that is being called "chu2byo" by fans in Japan include Code Breaker and Zetsuen no Tempest.

That's not quite right. That usage is not calling the work itself chunibyu in the same way. It refers to works that would be liked by chunibyus, possibly created by them. Fanfiction.net is full of that stuff. The opening narration in the first episode of Psychopass might be a quicker example. Was so over the top it took me a while to realize they were serious.
Oct 25, 2012 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
Helpme said:

That's not quite right. That usage is not calling the work itself chunibyu in the same way. It refers to works that would be liked by chunibyus, possibly created by them. Fanfiction.net is full of that stuff. The opening narration in the first episode of Psychopass might be a quicker example. Was so over the top it took me a while to realize they were serious.

Actually I am talking about the same thing. A work that is liked by Chu2byo would have the traits listed in my earlier post.

As for the opening narration of Psychopass, it may sound Chu2byo by itself but if the whole work is considered it may look less Chu2byo than a work like Code Breaker for example. Anime fans in Japan now tend to use the word as a slightly negative term to describe any explanation or exposition that is too complex for them, so the word can get a bit abused now. Yet the word, when used to describe a work, usually means what I said - that is, an overly complex settings for the world and the characters.

Oct 25, 2012 2:18 PM

Apr 2010
I have been reading the commends but i don't entirely agree with them.
If you look at it the Chuunibyou is just a temporal form of living in ones fantasy which is probably caused by the effects of puberty.
Chuunibyou is named after the second year of junior high so if i am not mistaken the students should be 13 to 14 years of age and is also the age where people start to form there own identify independent from there family.
Some cause trouble others don't we usually refer to this phage as the rebellious age of puberty and i think Chuunibyou is a side effect from it.
Since everyone is different during this phage in life i think people with Chuunibyou seek answers in there fantasy and behave like that.
It also seems like something which gets solved by itself at some point tho one experiencing Chuunibyou realises how silly his or her behaviour is and starts acting more normal.

Denpa on the other hand seems to be something more severe it's actually someone who actually is crazy or showing strange behaviour or even a mental disorder.
Which can be caused by a number of things.
In Erio's case she disappeared for six months and has no memories of those six months which can cause a serious trauma it's not uncommon for people with a severe trauma to have some forms of mental disorder.
But it might also be caused by a certain way of thinking not having a common sense a smack to the head or even something the person was born with.
It's also something thats allot harder to cure someone in Erio's case might need psychological help and even then it made take years to cure.
And in some cases it can't be cured at all.
AversaOct 26, 2012 3:56 AM
Oct 25, 2012 9:41 PM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:

If you look at it the Chuunibyou is just a temporal form of living in ones fantasy which is probably caused by the effects of puberty.
Chuunibyou is named after the second year of junior high so if i am not mistaken the students should be 13 to 14 years of age and is also the age where people start to form there own identify independent from there family.
Some cause trouble others don't we usually refer to this phage as the rebellious age of puberty and i think Chuunibyou is a side effect from it.
Since everyone is different during this phage in life i think people with Chuunibyou seek answers in there fantasy and behave like that.
It also seems like something which gets solved by itself at some point tho one experiencing Chuunibyou realises how silly his or her behaviour is and starts acting more normal.

True, but the reason why it is called a "syndrome" (if not in a strictly medical manner) is because once a person is past the 13/14 years and still act like that then he/she will be deemed to have a "condition" of Chu2byo. And this is what the characters in this anime are struggling with (or still indulge in).

Aversa said:

Denpa on the other hand seems to be something more severe it's actually someone who actually is crazy or showing strange behaviour.
And it seems to be formed by some form of trauma in most cases either mentally or physical.
In Erio's case she disappeared for six months and has no memories of those six months which can cause a serious trauma it's not uncommon for people with a severe trauma to have some forms of mental disorder.
By physical trauma i am referring to a smack to the head with a blunt object which might lead to brain damage, medical science is capable of allot but it can't cure everything.
People who have or had brain damage in the past can also have a mental disorder and start expressing strange behaviour.
And some of this cases might be expressing this strange behaviour by living in a fantasy.
It's also something thats allot harder to cure someone in Erio's case might need psychological and even then it made take years to cure.

A denpa person does not need to be as extreme as Erio to be called a denpa. In Japan I have seen the word Denpa used to describe a person who thinks or behaves in mysterious and incomprehensible way, and it does not usually carry connotation that the person has trauma or mental disorder -- just that the person's thinking does not match with those who are "regular" people. Denpa does not have to be something severe like you described above, it can be used to describe a much milder condition or even just a single act of behavior or speech.

Oct 26, 2012 4:17 AM

Apr 2010
symbv said:
Aversa said:

Denpa on the other hand seems to be something more severe it's actually someone who actually is crazy or showing strange behaviour.
And it seems to be formed by some form of trauma in most cases either mentally or physical.
By physical trauma i am referring to a smack to the head with a blunt object which might lead to brain damage, medical science is capable of allot but it can't cure everything.
People who have or had brain damage in the past can also have a mental disorder and start expressing strange behaviour.
And some of this cases might be expressing this strange behaviour by living in a fantasy.
It's also something thats allot harder to cure someone in Erio's case might need psychological and even then it made take years to cure.

A denpa person does not need to be as extreme as Erio to be called a denpa. In Japan I have seen the word Denpa used to describe a person who thinks or behaves in mysterious and incomprehensible way, and it does not usually carry connotation that the person has trauma or mental disorder -- just that the person's thinking does not match with those who are "regular" people. Denpa does not have to be something severe like you described above, it can be used to describe a much milder condition or even just a single act of behavior or speech.
It came over a bit harsher then i meant in that post the way i meant to refer to denpa is the same way we refer to someone as crazy someone who might just have some thoughts or behaviour which is different from normal.
The way crazy is used it could refer to someone with a mild case but could also refer to someone with a extreme case however in a extreme case the term insane would be used more often.
I did some editing to the original post but it still comes over as referring to a extreme case.

It should also be kept in mind that the characters of this show and Erio from Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko are extreme cases since it are works of fiction and it's more entertaining that way.
But reality is different.
Oct 26, 2012 4:24 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:

It should also be kept in mind that the characters of this show and Erio from Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko are extreme cases since it are works of fiction and it's more entertaining that way.
But reality is different.

Absolutely. Denpa and Chuunibyou are used quite often among youngsters in Japan these days and they are not necessarily anime/manga/LN fans. It can be easily imagined that the situations when they are used in real life would not be like what we see in Chu2byo or Denpa Onna. Those cases in the Chu2byo or Denpa Onna are just cases extreme to the extent of being unrealistic but they are good material for the LN.

Oct 26, 2012 5:23 AM

Apr 2009
@topic
Chuunibyou has a childish, immature connotation to it. Denpa does not. In addition, denpa otoko/onna is roughly equivalent to the English pejorative "tinfoil hat wearer".
Nov 4, 2012 8:14 AM
Oct 2012
Chuunibyou is used to describe someone who is childish and think themselves special, different from others. Generally speaking, it has three sub categories(from Wikipedia).
1. DQN-kei : someone who are childishly rebellious or antisocial.
2. subcul-kei: who devote themselves to something minor or sub-culture.
3. jakigan-kei: who are obsessed with Anime/Manga world, thinking they have hidden special powers.
Characters in this anime are in 3.

Denpa, I think, is a word to describe randomness.
Depna song is a very random song in its lyric and melody.

They are two different things, but often coexist.
Those who are Chuunibyou can also be called as Denpa, because of their random behaviors and remarks.
Similarly. those who is Denpa can be called Chuunibyou, because they look like being in fantasy like Anime/Manga world.

Kuroneko is Chuunibyou, but not Denpa, because her behaviors and remarks are reasonable and understandable.

Sorry for my English...
Dec 27, 2012 11:42 AM
Dec 2010
Wiki says > Denpa (電波?), also denpa-kei (電波系?) or denpa-san (電波さん?), is a Japanese term for individuals who are disconnected or disassociated from the people around them. They may entertain wild fantasies or other strong beliefs, and their speech or actions may seem strange or incoherent to outside observers.[1] Denpa literally means "electromagnetic wave", and the original sense of denpa-san was of someone who thought they were receiving voices, thoughts, or instructions directly to their mind via electromagnetic radiation.[2] It is often used as a characterization in anime, manga, and Japanese light novels.

From what i understood about Chunnibyou. Thats similar however subjects are usually kids and it didn't start from electromagnetic waves thing. Chunnibyou also seems to be less abnormal (at least to me), its not unusual to see kids openly playing role of something made in their mind.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Feb 27, 2013 9:11 AM

Jun 2009
Chuunibyou kids just act weird because, like the name says, they're passing through a childish moment, kind of like emo kids in the west. They usually stop being chuuni when they grow up. It's just momentary.

Denpa people are genuinely crazy, and they can even become dangerous.
Aug 21, 2014 12:37 AM
Mar 2010
from what i gather, chuunibyou is driven by desire to feel special, to impress other, to feel important, to seek attention. e.g. : Haruhi.
she prattles on and on about supernatural things but she doesn't actually believes it. Her trigger, the feeling of insignificance.
" Not only was I just one little person in that sea of people in that stadium, but that sea of people were merely a drop in the ocean. I'd thought myself to be a special person up until that point"."And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?" All the thing she does, she does to feel special and thus an act of chuunibyo

Denpa, is just plain weird. might be their way of coping with something to stay afloat. in this case, they just do it to stop themselves from breaking down and thus tends to keep it to themselves. e.g: Erio.
the whole alien thing was just her way to cope with her memory loss, not to feel special. it was easier for her to say that she was an alien to explain those six months she was missing than to admit whatever it was that happened that causes her to go missing for six month and lose her memories. all the weirdness after that was just her being herself, thus she is a denpa.
Nov 15, 2016 2:47 PM
Jan 2014
people STOP recommending this anime on the denpa onna page. the ONLY thing they both have in common is a main girl character who society has given up on. THAT IS IT - hardly enough to warrant a recommendation based on being similar.

denpa onna is vastly superior in its own higher Shaft league

i enjoyed chuunibyou i think i gave it 8 out of 10....BUT it is not similar to denpa onna

More topics from this board

» What would've happened to Rika if Yuuta hadn't reached out to her at the end of the season 1 finale

Soibi - Mar 10

7 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 17, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2012

323 by Zimmu »»
Mar 13, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2012

671 by Devonnius »»
Feb 27, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2012

431 by Devonnius »»
Feb 25, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 12, 2012

489 by FarCritical »»
Feb 22, 1:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.