Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Oct 15 - 21

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 23, 2012 9:17 AM
Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
shymel said:
Well Natsuyuki Rendezvous sold like crap. It wasn't the best series ever, but I would have liked it to sell a little more. I guess the rest of the releases will do even worse.

If you make a Josei anime, it better be amazing if you want it to sell at all.. and even then, it likely won't sell much over 3k. But anything less than amazing and you've got a turd on your hands saleswise
Well that sucks. Thank you though for the info/response!
Oct 23, 2012 9:18 AM
Mar 2010
RyanSaotome said:

If you make a Josei anime, it better be amazing if you want it to sell at all.. and even then, it likely won't sell much over 3k. But anything less than amazing and you've got a turd on your hands saleswise

exactly. look what happened to sakamichi. :/

symbv said:

My guess is that if it is some popular male seiyuu singing the song it may sell more -- just like male fans would tend to buy singles from female seiyuu (compared to those by male seiyuu), female fans would be more inclined to buy singles from male seiyuu.

another trait of fujoshi I think. :/ I think that kimi ni todoke's anime sold 9k first season when the sales for its manga were over 600k per volume then. out of those 600k people only 9k bought the anime. Boo.....
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 23, 2012 9:47 AM

Aug 2010
*6, *,623 1,163,331 Tonari no Totoro

Totoro still hanging in there... It's been in the list for quite some time! Awesome
Oct 23, 2012 10:20 AM

Aug 2011
What the fuck is "Transformers Prime."
Oct 23, 2012 10:46 AM

Nov 2008
top 10 kinda boring
Oct 23, 2012 11:05 AM

Sep 2009
I feel bad for Arata naru sekai. This OVA deserves more
Oct 23, 2012 12:57 PM
Feb 2012
Natsuyuki had all the right ingredients for it to be a masterpiece but the story and execution just ended up being rubbish.
Oct 23, 2012 1:07 PM
Feb 2012
Zetman and Natsuyuki- just wow lol. Those are some abysmal sales.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 23, 2012 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
symbv said:
Ejc said:

I just looked at the new releases for the week after. Such a monster list, with many on October 24 and 26... Can't wait to see the sales for SAO. Dreading Kokoro Connect's sales... please be decent at least :(

Estimate from Amazon Stalker seems to point to a sales of >30k which is respectable given the PR disaster it went through.

As for next week, BD that are likely to rank include
SAO vol.1
Strike Witches movie
Horizon II vol.2
Hyouga vol.5
Total Eclipse vol.2
Kuroko no Basuke vol.4
Macross 7 BD Box complete Fire vol.1
Accel World vol.4
JoshiRaku vol.2
Aquarion EVOL vol.7
CardCaptor Sakura BD Box vol.1
Guilty Crown vol.10
Jormungand vol.5
Inu x Boku SS live event
Smile PreCure BD Box vol.1

That's A LOT !!

Hopefully Dog Days' Vol 2 ranks.

Oct 23, 2012 5:30 PM

Aug 2011
RyanSaotome said:
shymel said:
Well Natsuyuki Rendezvous sold like crap. It wasn't the best series ever, but I would have liked it to sell a little more. I guess the rest of the releases will do even worse.

Case in point, Chihayafuru was amazing, but crap sales, Atleast we still get season 2 though.
Oct 23, 2012 7:50 PM

Sep 2012
phoenixalia said:

symbv said:

My guess is that if it is some popular male seiyuu singing the song it may sell more -- just like male fans would tend to buy singles from female seiyuu (compared to those by male seiyuu), female fans would be more inclined to buy singles from male seiyuu.

another trait of fujoshi I think. :/

It is not necessarily the fujoshi in the female anime fans who tend to do that though. Just look at the male anime fans, they will be more likely to buy female seiyuu single than male seiyuu single whether they are yuri fans or not. By the same token, female fans will be more likely to buy male seiyuu single than female seiyuu single whether they are yaoi fans (fujoshi) or not.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 23, 2012 7:53 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
DraconisMarch said:
What the fuck is "Transformers Prime."

American 3DCG cartoon. Japanese ED is by the girl group Tokyo Girls' Style. It's not an anime and TGS are not primarily anisong singers so normally something like that wouldn't get included on the Singles list. Just a tiny oversight I guess, or maybe it was considered tangentially relevant enough. ::shrugs::

Given Amazon Japan puts American cartoons like Star Wars Clone War, Madagascar and Cinderella in the anime BD category, I notice that in Japan the word "anime" quite often is used to denote any type of animation - they would call American cartoon as "American anime" for example. Perhaps that is why Transformers also got into the list here.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 24, 2012 7:33 AM

Apr 2011
dtshyk said:

*8, *,356 *,356 Zetman vol.5

who buys this shit
Oct 24, 2012 8:07 AM
Mar 2010
sagdashin said:

who buys this shit

lol very few people. zetman is an anime which seriously bombed.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 24, 2012 8:33 AM

Sep 2012
phoenixalia said:
zetman is an anime which seriously bombed.

Rumor has it that it got animated only because of Masakazu Katsura's significant contribution to Tiger & Bunny.

Oct 24, 2012 1:59 PM

Jun 2007
underoath777 said:
Jinrui wa Suitai is doing well.
hope i'll see season 2 :<

Can anyone confirm that there's actually enough material for an s2?
Oct 24, 2012 2:50 PM

Feb 2010
And which of these is covered in the short bonus episodes? Also curious if the chronological order is the same or reverted compared to the anime, do you know that?
Thanks in advance!
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 24, 2012 7:52 PM

Sep 2012
Never_Know_Best said:
underoath777 said:
Jinrui wa Suitai is doing well.
hope i'll see season 2 :<

jmal gave the long answer. For a short answer I would say, barely enough. The first season used up 3.5 volumes of the novel and there are 3.5 volumes left. Theoretically it is enough material left but don't forget there is a reason for those 3.5 volumes of material picked to be animated - the remaining material may not be as interesting or as ready for animation, and it may lack a story that can wrap up a series well like the tea-party story does.

I don't know how long the extra stories bundled together with the BDs are but I have a feeling that they are short stories.

Oct 24, 2012 7:59 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Also curious if the chronological order is the same or reverted compared to the anime, do you know that?

See here for a more detailed breakdown.

1. Neither the anime nor the novels are in chronological order.
2. The anime and novels are not in the same order.
3. The anime's timeline seems to be more linear, except the line is moving mostly backwards.

Actually the novels ARE in chronological order, the first volume took place in April (when Watashi-chan just graduated), the second May, the third June, the fourth July, the fifth August, the sixth Winter, the seventh next Spring. The Tea Party story took place in vol.5 and the scene where Y visited Watashi-chan indeed took pace in August but the flashback (which makes up the bulk of the story) took place in the years before the time at 1st volume.
symbvOct 24, 2012 8:14 PM

Oct 24, 2012 8:05 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

The tea party story was a great ending, but honestly, they could have ended the show on almost any arc and we'd probably be saying "it was a great ending". The show is so structurally odd, in a lovely way, that you can really begin and end almost anywhere and it'll seem appropriate enough.

The Tea Party story seems to offer a much stronger emotional weight when put at the end of the series. In fact as soon as the fans of the novel found out the anime did not run in chronological order they all clamored for the Tea Party story to be put at the end of the series because "it is how the series can be ended most beautifully" and so it proved. I would even venture to say that this story as the ending of the series alone helped boost the sales of the BD to some extent.
jmal said:

symbv said:
I don't know how long the extra stories bundled together with the BDs are but I have a feeling that they are short stories.

Yes, short, the first is 2:31 long and the second is 2:04. All six should run less than 15 minutes.

Actually I meant the extra novels that came bundled with the BDs. They offer extra source material but I wonder how long the stories of those extra novels are...
symbvOct 24, 2012 8:56 PM

Oct 25, 2012 8:26 AM
Sep 2012
Got sight of today's daily rankings.
SAO got 28k BD and 6k DVD totaling 35k.
It might reach 40k by the time the weekly numbers are out.
Dog Days outsold AW and Kokoro Connect is not visible in the presented pic. Assuming it got 2nd place.

Chuuni,Jojo,LB,Panzer and Magi still on the top 5 fall preorders list.
Oct 25, 2012 8:38 AM

Sep 2012
The daily rankings have numbers as well? Interesting.

Chuuni,Jojo,LB,Panzer and Magi still on the top 5 fall preorders list.

No ToLoveRu Darkness or Gintama 3 ?

In Amazon JP, the sales ranking for this season's anime is currently like
Chu2byo>(Gintama3)>GalPan>ToLoveRuD>JoJo>LB>>>Hidamari4>Magi=Jormungand2=OniAi>PsychoPass

GalPan (Girls und Panzer) is making amazing jump after the last episode (ep.3). This is really the dark horse of this season.

Gintama3 is for the DVD; all the rest are for the BDs.

Oct 25, 2012 8:40 AM

Apr 2010
Girls und Panzer will probably be the hit where nobody in America understands why it sells well. Its the worst rated non kids/3 min anime of the season on MAL, after all.
RyanSaotomeOct 25, 2012 8:44 AM

Oct 25, 2012 9:12 AM
Sep 2012
@symbv: No the top 5 i said was today only. Not for the whole week. Magi got a boost for reasons I don't know.

@jmal: http://brunhild.sakura.ne.jp/up/src/up576677.jpg it was visible for 3 minutes then the uploader deleted it.

Archived thread: http://logsoku.com/thread/engawa.2ch.net/poverty/1351147829/
Oct 25, 2012 9:15 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Girls und Panzer will probably be the hit where nobody in America understands why it sells well. Its the worst rated non kids/3 min anime of the season on MAL, after all.

I find myself often at variance with the taste of the American fans :-)

While I would not place GalPan in the same league as Chu2yo, ToLoveRu Darkness or Little Busters, I certainly find it much better than I expected. Here again I see I am having similar shift as many fans in Japan. One comment (coming from a person not particularly into moe) I found in a Japanese forum pretty much exemplifies the opinion change

(Before the show started)
"The tanks are here just for show. It will just be yet another moe anime where a bunch of cute girls messing around in tanks"

(when the PV and more info came out)
"OK, a big cast of girls -- so this anime is used to pull in the seiyuu fans?"

(after ep.1 and 2)
"It is unexpectedly interesting - it has friendship and there are a lot of interactions of various characters, the senshado is treated respectfully like a real school club and not as a parody, and it shows real work being involved; the technical details about military and tank are not neglected, and it even has good amount of historical trivia here and there"

(after ep.3)
This is the dark horse of this season!! Seriously considering buying the BD....
symbvOct 25, 2012 9:57 AM

Oct 25, 2012 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
bippo said:
@symbv: No the top 5 i said was today only. Not for the whole week. Magi got a boost for reasons I don't know.

Actually I understand it is today's ranking only, as you made it clear in your post. I was just wondering that in terms of preorder Gintama and ToLoveRu Darkness should also be likely candidates for the top 5 places but perhaps they somehow did not reach the top 5 today.

bippo said:
@jmal: http://brunhild.sakura.ne.jp/up/src/up576677.jpg it was visible for 3 minutes then the uploader deleted it.

The 2ch sales thread is getting hard to acquire data. The sales updates on Tues and Fri are now given in some image upload link (like the one above) which gets removed very very quickly. I need to be lucky (or on alert all the time) to catch this kind of update.

Oct 25, 2012 9:22 AM

Apr 2010
So is that 35k for SAO confirmed? Or is that just like the estimated numbers?

Oct 25, 2012 9:24 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
So is that 35k for SAO confirmed? Or is that just like the estimated numbers?

The sum in bippo's post is 34k (28k BD and 6k DVD), and if it is from the daily ranking it means 34k was sold on its first day of sales.

Oct 25, 2012 9:41 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

The only place i see 28000/6000 is this post which is just part of a big speculation subthread.

If it is this post, then it would just be a guess.

The post in 2ch has this:
SAO1巻初動
BD28000
DVD6000

And the word 初動 means First Week Sales, which we clearly do not yet know as the full week has not ended yet.

Oct 25, 2012 9:45 AM
Sep 2012
Yeah. Saw the image. You can tell if the uploader is trolling because he will not dare put that image in the uploader for more than 5 minutes as he'll have the police on his doorsteps a moment later and he'll not put the whole list with complete numbers. eg Kokoro Connect's numbers are missing.
Oct 25, 2012 10:15 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
symbv said:
The sum in bippo's post is 34k (28k BD and 6k DVD), and if it is from the daily ranking it means 34k was sold on its first day of sales.

Well, even if the image does say that, it was posted around the time the data on the 24th came out, which would be the second day of sales since most titles start selling the day before release date. So it could be the total from two days of sales (10/23→10/24).

I don't think so... because SAO is released on the 24th, and the post in 2ch was sent out in the evening of the 25th. If the data on the 25th is really the daily ranking it would show the sales on Oct 24th which is the first official day of sales of SAO vol.1. Some people may be able to get the BD on the 23rd because some shops start to sell it earlier (by intention or by mistake) and Amazon's shipment may arrive early. Yet those sales would not be counted by Oricon as being sold on the 23rd - it would be counted as being sold on the 24th its first day of sales instead.

Oct 25, 2012 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

I think it's a fairly significant number of people who buy on the pre-sale day, or フラゲ日 a I see it often called. Oricon always ranks titles the day before street date, and it tends to be their best or second best ranking of the week.

Hmm... I think Oricon does not count フラゲ日 sales as from the pre-sale day but instead put it in the first day of sales. At least this is how it treats the CD sales. A CD that officially goes on sales on Wed may have a lot of copies sold on Tues, but in the daily ranking of Oricon, the Tues data would not know the data for that CD. All Tues sales data would go to Wed data instead.
jmal said:

So what I mean is that any sales data we would have now reflects ~48 hours of the titles being on sale, not 24.

True. In fact it can even be argued that the sales data for the "first day of official release" could cover even longer than 48 hours as the data would include all the BD/DVD shipped by Amazon before Wed and arrive at customer on Mon, even Sun (such things do happen).

Oct 29, 2012 1:48 AM

Sep 2012
@jmal

I went to mania to check if there are any new sales data coming from Oricon last Friday but there does not seem to be any...

Then I found a discussion about Nico Points:

The number of people who preordered the title at Amazon through the Niconico Douga marketplace.

And no, they have no significant correlation to actual sales. Generally, titles that are being broadcast on Niconico do disproportionately well, because people will click on the marketplace links after watching an episode

I just want to add one thing:
One way that 2ch uses Nico Points is to gauge the accuracy of Amazon stalker. Apparently if there are proportionately more people ordering from Nico via Amazon the anime title would be more an internet-order type than a storefront type, which may indicate the prediction of Amazon stalker to be more accurate.

I have not crunched any number to prove how true it is, but I remember reading this in 2ch Sales Thread, so I think I'd just share it here.

Oct 29, 2012 7:57 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
So relatively high nico preorders might indicate something Stalker is overestimating rather than accurate on.

That makes sense.

So far I see JoJo having a particularly high Nico Points compared to Chuunibyou and Little Busters while all three have roughly similar Amazon points accumulated so far. We shall see how this information might turn out for the actual sales.

Oct 29, 2012 10:29 AM
Oct 2012
I am new to this selling and all, but is there a website to check the total sells of Sword Art Online?
Oct 29, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2012
SAOxAce said:
I am new to this selling and all, but is there a website to check the total sells of Sword Art Online?
They should be posted here some time tomorrow in a new thread.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
19 minutes ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
3 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
6 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - Today

3 by JehadKun »»
10 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.