Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 11, 2012 12:27 PM

Aug 2011
I have a shit ton of questions but that was actually a really enjoyable watch. I wish this and the novel/manga were a full length anime though. I love the plot premise.
Nov 11, 2012 7:06 PM
Jun 2009
I feel like I can't really judge this without knowing anything about the other two manga... But it does seem interesting.
Nov 12, 2012 5:06 AM

Sep 2012
They need to do the whole thing to make it understandable.
Nov 15, 2012 9:32 AM

Mar 2008
I liked the atmosphere. Girls and their seiyuu was good... But in general this ova makes no sense. This thing is so pointless that sometimes I wondered maybe it was supposed to be comedy. Even by knowing that this is just one simple episode, I expected way more.
Nov 18, 2012 9:38 PM
Sep 2008
i'm not seeing misaki kurehito anywhere here
Nov 19, 2012 9:59 PM

May 2012
i dont understand .. i just suddenly watch it coz im bored lol ..

Nov 24, 2012 10:18 PM

Jan 2012
lol @ clueless viewers ITT

I'll make it easy for you

4 girls
6 millennium into future
giant bird and ugly fish
buried message
breaks cellphone
???
profit

now how hard was that?

^.^
Nov 25, 2012 6:03 AM

Jan 2012
A little to short for such a plot. However, I enjoyed it.

Dec 7, 2012 11:42 AM
Sep 2011
Does somebody have a clue where to get novel and manga?
I'd like to buy it, but pay mostly for anime I already seen does'nt feel good.
Dec 9, 2012 9:48 PM
Apr 2009
She keeps sending msg to her boyfriend right? (in the distant future)
and (I did not read the manga) supposedly he keeps on sending her msg too (from the far past)
what if that create such a big distorsion, it puts the present world into oblivion?
trying my best to figure this out, I can't wait to read the manga and the novel
Dec 14, 2012 7:11 AM

Feb 2008
Got my copy of the "Complete Box" set of "Arata naru Sekai" (I suspect it's only sold in this fashion). The contents are packed in the following order: booklet, novel, manga and anime DVD/Blu-Ray (with CD). So I suppose I ought to tackle the novel first and then the manga eh? This is going to take a while...
Dec 22, 2012 8:41 PM

Aug 2008
This anime is the third part of the trilogy right?
That why the first part should have been an anime instead!
Jan 12, 2013 4:48 AM

Feb 2012
SurferDude said:
I gave this a 5, for relying on outside material to tell its story.

Same here. I gave it a 5 coz it's confusing for someone who hasn't read the manga/novel. They shouldn't have made an OVA that would bewilder the audience; a series would be better to further explain and expound what's going on.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 9, 2013 8:58 PM
Oct 2009
jbeat said:
SurferDude said:
I gave this a 5, for relying on outside material to tell its story.

Same here. I gave it a 5 coz it's confusing for someone who hasn't read the manga/novel. They shouldn't have made an OVA that would bewilder the audience; a series would be better to further explain and expound what's going on.

It's not really "outside material", though. The whole thing is a multimedia story that should be acquired as a whole, so no, the anime isn't standalone and it's not supposed to be. Which is why I haven't rated this.
May 20, 2013 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
art is quite ok
music is excellent
but the story .. I don't really get it
Jun 24, 2013 4:49 PM

May 2012
I liked this. The animation was pretty gorgeous and the sound was nothing bad.

However... I didn't understand the story in the slightest. They made no effort in letting me understand and just did their thing. Honestly this would have been okay if only there were maybe one or two minutes of explanation. But without it... I got next to nothing from this OVA but some pretty voices and images.
Aug 25, 2013 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
I have no idea what just happened. I mean, I understand that they were time travellers sent to the future and had to find a solution to reverse the extinction but what does destroying a cell phone do?.. Hmm

I know it's an OVA, but I wish I could have gotten a better glimpse of this, even if they didn't complete it. I just want something more clear.

Seriously though, love the premise and idea of this. It's like Shinsekai Yori but more modernized. Kind of like Steins;Gate too ofc.

6, near a 7 out of 10 is my score, but I have to say I liked it overall. BRB going through this thread for a better explanation.
EDIT - Read through all of the posts but still haven't gotten a completely clear understanding on wtf happened. :D Oh well.

d-yaro said:
Got my copy of the "Complete Box" set of "Arata naru Sekai" (I suspect it's only sold in this fashion). The contents are packed in the following order: booklet, novel, manga and anime DVD/Blu-Ray (with CD). So I suppose I ought to tackle the novel first and then the manga eh? This is going to take a while...

Share an explanation if you can, please ^_^ I'm curious. Kininarimasu!
MayukaAug 25, 2013 9:48 PM
Oct 9, 2013 11:57 PM

May 2013
i dont quite understand this thing 6/10
Jan 18, 2014 9:17 AM

Jan 2011
Don't know where to get the rest two pieces of the story, but without them this movie is completely pointless. Damn.
Jan 29, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
Animation wasn't as good as it seemed on the cover picture and the ending came out of no where with no explanation.4/10
Jul 22, 2014 5:10 AM

Dec 2008
I had a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. So, these girls travel to the future to save the past. But the key to saving the past turns out to be a cellphone? After the cellphone is destroyed, the girl, Arata (I think) trades places with her boyfriend and returns to the past. Is the past now the future? I'm sure that was Arata's boyfriend in the movie theatre at the very end, after the credits.

Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 24, 2014 11:18 PM

Apr 2009
All that i understand is that striped panty.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2015 4:46 AM

Jul 2014
Didnt know you were supposed to read the manga or light novel before watching this and now I'm thoroughly confused. 6/10
Jan 30, 2015 8:54 PM

Mar 2013
Tried watching this because of Death Parade's director, but i just don't get it. What happened to her boyfriend? ugh..
Feb 24, 2015 4:29 PM

Dec 2013
how surprising that MAL users have trouble understanding something that isnt spelled out for them.

i havent read anything related to this and I understood the concept and story and liked it. You might just be brain handicapped if this confuses you.
Mar 4, 2015 8:43 PM
Mar 2009
Shorter than Serial Experiments Lain, but even more open to multiple perspectives and such.
Apr 3, 2015 7:37 AM

Aug 2014
A questionable future that we don't know if we're going to have in a couple of years. That was very remarkable... Can we imagine our future in 6000 years ahead of now?
It's very hard to answer that... but this is really a good animation! ;)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Apr 3, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
My first assumption about the ending was that Yakusa's boyfriend Kirishima had no way to return to the present and was stuck in the past after fixing the problem. His only choice would have been to stay there in the past until the time reaches to the present, which was why he avoided her at the end, as he had become unrecognizable after physically aging for so long.

Of course, that is wholly incorrect.
Apr 29, 2015 1:29 AM
Sep 2014
I just read the manga. don't understand German but you can get a better idea just by looking at it. I'm half tempted to google translate it. the final problem would be the novel. the novel will most likely make all of this clear. half tempted to try and find the box set and try to muddle thought both manga and novel with my limited JP skills.

the manga just by looking explains some part of the anime ending in the theater as been mentioned in the thread. the novel will most likely explain how the guy from the present shows up. my guess cryogenic sleep. although I missed it as to whether or not the time lines merged back into a changed present or if it was still the future.
CloudcroftApr 29, 2015 1:32 AM
May 9, 2015 2:05 PM

Apr 2014
ezaya said:
All that i understand is that striped panty.
Sep 15, 2015 11:18 AM

May 2014
Well, I understood... most of it. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or surprised that I enjoyed it so much :D
I'd like to read the manga and novel if I could only find them anywhere.
Oct 20, 2015 3:27 PM

Dec 2009
This was pretty darn good for 30mins of screen time... A lot was said, and plenty was implied; something you really needed to pay attention to to connect the dots.

As usual, any story with time travel has countless fundamental issues, but they are interesting nonetheless.

For a brief explanation of the time stuff regarding the phone (this is only from what i've pieced together from watching the episode, no background knowledge)
I hope my reasoning can spark some thought into others, as many things can be figured out if you try.

I've seen some pretty good one-off's and this one wasn't a disappointment either. It really is amazing how much you can get in such a short running time without it feeling rush-paced. One day i'll get my hands on the written works and get more from this story.
GenesisAriaOct 20, 2015 4:13 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 10, 2016 1:44 PM

Jun 2014
Although it's just a 30 min OVA, everything is very confusing and nonsensical. I've heard that if you read the manga or the light novel, you can understand what's really happening. Well, I've read the first chapter of the manga (I haven't found the rest in English), and it's even more confusing than the anime. Anyway, they shouldn't have left the rational explanations (if there's one) in the manga or in the light novel. Besides, I didn't find the plot appealing and the characters were too simple. Pretty disappointed by this.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Sep 30, 2017 6:35 PM

Aug 2017
Gave this 4. Too dependent on other sources. This is more 5 than 4 actually, but because I can't lay my hand on the main source, bias that can't be helped.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Oct 11, 2018 4:57 PM

Oct 2015
So destroying the smart phone was the way to save the future, that didn't have meaning. I wished they explained why was destroying it significant. I didn't get where was Arata and why Kirishima passed Yakusa like that when they traveled back? The movie Arata made, made no sense to me and who was the guy at the end credits, Kirishima or other???

Even if I don't know the full story it failed to grab me to read the manga or go any further with it, pretty boring and I doubt I would've liked the characters.

5/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 23, 2019 11:13 PM

Feb 2018
Nice ova and sci-fi genre so good.
Jun 4, 2021 2:55 PM

Jan 2021
This is so confusing O_0
5/10
Jun 26, 2022 6:31 AM

Jul 2011
6000 years in the future and every single building is still there barely damaged and with the same furniture ? The chalkboard writings are still there ? This barely looked like 50 years had passed.
Even more annoying is that they ask "Why is everything is still in such a good shape ?", and then never answer it (and the answer for the recent damage was lame, BIRDS).

The cellphone is another can of worms. I don't see what this had to do with anything or how it could have caused the problem to begin with. They were sent in the future (with that dumb cellphone) to solve an existing issue before it got there so...
I mean, I suppose it can work depending on the time travel theory you utilise, but that it could work doesn't make it a good story. And again it's a 6000 years old Cellphone with nothing interesting on it, how could it end the world ?

The ending doesn't answer anything either (despite again promising it would be answered).

Maybe the original is better but as a standalone, it's pretty bad.
Feb 7, 2023 8:53 AM

Jan 2009
so many questions left unanswered but im intrigue by the time travel plot

i really like the simple character designs too love how the ladies look
Jun 14, 2023 5:48 AM

Apr 2013
sadly discontinued, it's really good.
Jun 26, 2023 6:06 AM

Jan 2016
- Let's send some people to explore the far away future.
- We don't know what they will find, so must be a specialized team with survival skills and knowledge of engineering, farming, biology and possibly linguistics.
- They also going to need some proper equipment and gear.
- No no, hear me out, let's send school girls in mini-skirts.

[kids so dumb they see the same city with same buildings and believe 6000 years passed]
PxHCJun 26, 2023 6:20 AM

Aug 6, 2023 5:19 PM

Aug 2017
Too bad there's only one OVA, the concept is really cool,
Well I'm a bit confused because I didn't read the manga nor the visual novel, this OVA made me add them both to my plan to read list.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Preview!

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2012

9 by Mayuka »»
Aug 25, 2013 9:53 PM

Poll: » Character Sketches of this series.

Yumekichi11 - Jul 25, 2012

0 by Yumekichi11 »»
Jul 25, 2012 5:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.