Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for anime with a strong but silent male protagonist

New
Oct 16, 2012 4:23 AM

Aug 2012
I have just finished watching Hyouka and I LOVE the character of Oreki....he is the strong silent protagonist in the show. If you have seen this show you know who I'm talking about.

Basically I'm looking for anime that features a strong but silent male protagonist who goes through changes in character development. Please don't recommend harems, hentai or mecha genres. I like action, thrillers, slice of life, romance or sci-fi.

This type of character really appeals to me so I would love some recommedations please.....

A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!
Oct 16, 2012 4:40 AM

Jun 2009
Requiem for the Phantom fits although I personally did not like it.
Oct 16, 2012 4:50 AM

Aug 2012
I'm planning to watch that....could you tell me why you didn't like it? No spoilers please....
Oct 16, 2012 4:53 AM

Jan 2011
Gungrave might be something great for you.
Oct 16, 2012 7:20 AM

Nov 2009
A few I can think of with a the more powerful yet less talkative type of MC include:

- Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (the way the story is told is sort of weird, I can't really grasp how however it definitely isn't your average anime for better or for worse, the MC is rather silent and somewhat strong)
- Blassreiter (scifi however also somewhat like a biomecha, about humans turning in to these monster like things however they look somewhat like more humanoid mechas so that might throw you off, the MC for the latter half of the anime and greatest source of mystery for the first half is very quiet, in fact only now and then do you see him talking to an AI with merely a few words, also pretty strong both physically and mentally)
- Chrome Shelled Regios (MC is pretty quiet most of the time to avoid attention, he is a little bit more talkative than MC in Blassreiter however still carries that lone wolf aura although he does gradually accept his friends)
- Jormungand (a darker action about a weapon's dealer and her bodyguards, MC is the girl however the male MC is a 10-11 year old kid who used to be a child soldier in Africa and as a result is very closed off from the world, doesn't really talk except for things like "understood" or "yes, ma'am", this changes over time as he begins to see the MC as an older sister instead of hating her for being a weapons merchant and does start to talk a bit more, he is rather strong however strength in this more realistic gun series means he has more battle experience)
- Persona 4 The Animation (The MC has a more quiet personality in general however isn't really the least talkative MC around, he is somewhat special in Persona which does make him strong as well as his more responsible personality. This is a more bright action, their is comedy in it however after saying that this series is unique and glad I got over my official fears of the anime being based off of a game)
- Wolf's Rain (MC is literally a lone wolf however as their race faces extinction the other characters realize being a solitary figure resisting any type of comradery isn't going to work anymore, another rather dark action however this one isn't focused in too much on action if I remember correctly)

Pirating_NinjaOct 16, 2012 10:08 AM
Oct 16, 2012 7:28 AM

Aug 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
A few I can think of with a the more powerful yet less talkative type of MC include:

- Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
- Blassreiter
- Chrome Shelled Regios
- Jormungand
- Persona 4 The Animation
- Wolf's Rain

Sorry have class so don't really have time to tell you my opinions or how they match your description however when I get back I'll make sure to edit this post a bit, I do suggest however trying wolf's rain since the MC is sort of your quiet yet strong willed character.

Thanks if you can give me any more recs that would be fantastic. I'm so fussy with what I watch but I should find something I like with these recommendations.
Oct 16, 2012 7:36 AM
Oct 2011
Silent MC? Gungrave, he's too silent

House of Five Leaves has that kind of MCs
Samurai Champloo
Afro Samurai
Oct 16, 2012 9:29 AM

Apr 2009
There's not a lot of character development unfortunately, but Ghost Hunt does have 2 strong and silent main characters (Kazuya & Lin).

.hack//Roots may fit the description as well. Haseo is strong and silent, and goes through a bunch of changes throughout the series.

Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma fits the description as well, I think.

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo - Yakumo is also somewhat strong and quiet.

Also, seconding Wolf's Rain. Kiba fits the description nicely.
Oct 16, 2012 9:52 AM

Aug 2012
I'm going to watch Kaze no stigma.....it was on my ptw list. Hope I will enjoy this :) I like shows with interesting characters. Hyouka's story plot wasn't deep but I love the characters and I enjoyed that show purely for the characters.
Oct 16, 2012 9:59 PM
Oct 2012
You might like Nabari No Ou
Oct 16, 2012 10:33 PM

Nov 2011
Going to second Wolf's Rain, namely because it bears a little more on the shoujo side than the shounen side so you may find it more enjoyable, as I did. =)
Oct 16, 2012 10:44 PM

Apr 2010
Berserk
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Oct 17, 2012 12:13 AM

Aug 2012
OK I will put Wolf's rain on my ptw.....hope it's good as people say it is. Is there some romance in it too??
Oct 17, 2012 1:13 AM

Apr 2012
winnie39 said:
OK I will put Wolf's rain on my ptw.....hope it's good as people say it is. Is there some romance in it too??
No, and there isn't really changes in the character either, so it might not be what you're looking for...
Oct 17, 2012 1:50 AM

Aug 2012
EratiK said:
winnie39 said:
No, and there isn't really changes in the character either, so it might not be what you're looking for...

OK thanks for letting me know.....you're right it's not what I'm looking for.
Oct 17, 2012 2:32 AM

May 2008
I'm not sure if it is your type of anime but I thought of Eat-Man when I read that... the protagonist (Bolt Crank) is about as strong and silent as it gets. Good luck!
Oct 17, 2012 2:36 AM

Sep 2012
StonerWithABoner said:
Berserk
Oct 17, 2012 8:12 AM

Jun 2012
Candor said:
Silent MC? Gungrave, he's too silent

House of Five Leaves has that kind of MCs
Samurai Champloo
Afro Samurai

LOL at Gungrave. I heard that he was silent, but when I watched the series I couldn't help but think that he's a close relative to Gordon Freeman. On the other hand if you haven't watched it give it a try later, it's a nice anime, but not what you're looking for.
Oct 17, 2012 8:22 AM

Nov 2009
EratiK said:
winnie39 said:

... I forgot that the girl he saves and falls in love with doesn't count as romance, my bad I seem to forgot what romance means these days. Also going from a guy who intentionally avoids everybody and refuses to help to a person who not only helps but begins to depend on others for support just might, and I mean just might be a sign of change... but who knows maybe I'm crazy, maybe avoiding people and relying on others are the same thing. >.>

However the ending does tend to make most people sour, and others are left saying huh? wtf happened?
Oct 17, 2012 8:43 AM

Jan 2012
I dont know if this has been suggested but try Death Note. Fits the description well.
Oct 17, 2012 8:45 AM

Aug 2012
Kaze no stigma is really good....only watched 3 episodes so far. Kazuma the male lead is the type of character I like :) I think I will enjoy this anime....just hope there's a good ending. Endings are always a hit or miss!!!

Anymore anime with this type of character?
Oct 17, 2012 8:55 AM
Jul 2012
Death Note.
Oct 17, 2012 10:38 AM

Aug 2012
Seen Death Note :)
Oct 17, 2012 11:22 AM

Nov 2009
I can't really think of any more shounen with an MC like Kazuma's character however his personality is very similar to the male leads in many shoujo's like Kaichou wa-maid sama or Special A (know you have seen both of those using them as an example), a good idea is probably to look for shoujo with a girl MC who isn't shy but rather headstrong and stubborn. Often times the accompanying male MC will then be like Kazuma, as you can see from kaichou or special A... I usually read shoujo manga since if their is an anime it usually doesn't go to the end of the manga so I really can't help you much their however a little bit of research could get you quite a few like Kazuma. Also you could just make a thread called anime where MC is like Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma, it is a pretty popular anime so you will probably get quite a few recs and probably even a few that aren't shoujo and have action.
Oct 17, 2012 12:36 PM

Aug 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
I can't really think of any more shounen with an MC like Kazuma's character however his personality is very similar to the male leads in many shoujo's like Kaichou wa-maid sama or Special A (know you have seen both of those using them as an example), a good idea is probably to look for shoujo with a girl MC who isn't shy but rather headstrong and stubborn. Often times the accompanying male MC will then be like Kazuma, as you can see from kaichou or special A... I usually read shoujo manga since if their is an anime it usually doesn't go to the end of the manga so I really can't help you much their however a little bit of research could get you quite a few like Kazuma. Also you could just make a thread called anime where MC is like Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma, it is a pretty popular anime so you will probably get quite a few recs and probably even a few that aren't shoujo and have action.

Thanks anyway.....These kind of characters are popular so I'm sure upcoming new anime will have them at some point. I also watch Japanese/Korean live drama and there's been a couple of amazingly cool characters who blew my mind away.
Oct 17, 2012 12:45 PM
Feb 2012
Seconding Jormungand.
Oct 17, 2012 4:10 PM

Nov 2011
Try giving X tv a shot then. It has several different romances going on in it, no real love triangles (other than one woman being in love with a married man, but it's very subtly done and one-sided. No silly jealousy rivalry things. Oh, and then there's also the triangle between the super computer genius girl, her actual computer, and this guy. That one is fun.)

It also has a couple of strong and silent main characters and the cast is large and yes, the main character does grow and change. Another action series that is more on the shoujo side as opposed to the shounen side. It's mature and well-done.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/156/X

You might also like Utawarerumono. Romance, strong and silent main character, etc. It also has the more kawaii-desu art style that you seem to enjoy since it was based on a VN/RPG. And don't worry- while it was based on a VN with harem elements the show itself pretty much leaves those out. It's less harem than Clannad, which I know you loved. I ABHOR harems, but I LOVE this series. I'm pretty sure it's right up your ally. Plus, they all have cute ears. =)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/856/Utawarerumono
AmberlehOct 17, 2012 8:14 PM
Oct 17, 2012 7:22 PM

Jul 2012
Berserk or Trigun. Though in Trigun the main character sort of has a split personality >_<

Oct 17, 2012 10:03 PM

Apr 2012
^ yeah Vash is really silent

Phantom Requiem for the Phantom, Chrome Shelled Regios and Darker than black
Oct 18, 2012 12:03 AM

Oct 2012
Rai From Noblesse is silent but when he has to he is a BAMF, pardon the language. and Btw he is gorgeous
Oct 18, 2012 12:33 AM

Aug 2012
jama91 said:

Seen Darker than Black....Hei was cool :) Liked his character alot...wished they develop the romance more whether it was with Yin or Misaki but I know it's more action based.

Phantom is on my PTW....
Oct 18, 2012 12:39 AM

Aug 2012
Amberleh said:
Try giving X tv a shot then. It has several different romances going on in it, no real love triangles (other than one woman being in love with a married man, but it's very subtly done and one-sided. No silly jealousy rivalry things. Oh, and then there's also the triangle between the super computer genius girl, her actual computer, and this guy. That one is fun.)

It also has a couple of strong and silent main characters and the cast is large and yes, the main character does grow and change. Another action series that is more on the shoujo side as opposed to the shounen side. It's mature and well-done.

You might also like Utawarerumono. Romance, strong and silent main character, etc. It also has the more kawaii-desu art style that you seem to enjoy since it was based on a VN/RPG. And don't worry- while it was based on a VN with harem elements the show itself pretty much leaves those out. It's less harem than Clannad, which I know you loved. I ABHOR harems, but I LOVE this series. I'm pretty sure it's right up your ally. Plus, they all have cute ears. =)

Thanks for the recs....I've added Utawarerumono. Does it have a good ending?
Oct 18, 2012 12:41 AM
Sep 2012
it's my turn to give you a recommendation, jormungand is good! :D
Oct 18, 2012 1:12 AM

Aug 2012
beetle000 said:
it's my turn to give you a recommendation, jormungand is good! :D

Thanks I will look into this one :)
Oct 19, 2012 12:08 AM

Jul 2012
winnie39 said:
jama91 said:

Seen Darker than Black....Hei was cool :) Liked his character alot...wished they develop the romance more whether it was with Yin or Misaki but I know it's more action based.

Phantom is on my PTW....

personally loved darker than black although i call hei chinese electric batman :p
People hate dying. They hate killing, too. They don`t like making others cry, or crying themselves. How must it feel to not be able to choose one`s life? What about when family dies? Or when a loved one dies? Nobody wants those things. Yet , the world laughs and hungers for such suffering. I`ve never had a burning desire to change something. But it would be sad to live whithout change. I dont want to lose anything else.. It`s a pain , but i think it`s about time we moved forward. I`ve averted my eyes until now, but.. If i have to, I`ll take a hard look at my own past. To achieve a world where nobody ever loses anything. - Ryner Lute (TLOTLH)
Oct 19, 2012 3:45 AM

Apr 2012
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: D and hei are kinda similar
Oct 19, 2012 7:47 AM

Nov 2009
winnie39 said:
Amberleh said:

Thanks for the recs....I've added Utawarerumono. Does it have a good ending?

I would say that Utawererumono has a good ending, it wasn't spectacular however it definitely ended on a positive note and wasn't really an open ending. The style of ending is actually similar to quite a few however of the anime we share none of them are really too similar (atleast from what I can remember) so instead of making some kind of random comment that won't help and potentially spoil other anime should you watch Utawererumono I will just say yes, it has a happy and acceptable ending.
Oct 19, 2012 7:53 AM
May 2007
I strongly second Gungrave

Hokuto no Ken the protagnist isn't really silent, but is a man of few words.

The old Jojo's Bizarre Adventure oavs are also a good one in my book.

Initial D might be something unusual but fresh, but I strongly suggest you watch it as well as Wangan Midnight.
Apr 29, 2016 12:20 AM
Apr 2016
Winnie i think u would love Tokyo ghoul.the story goes like this- a boy name kaneki transforms from a normal human to a ghoul and latter on becomes very strong with the circumstances that he faces
Apr 29, 2016 2:23 AM
Dec 2014
Mayve Texhnolyze, the anime itself is not fond of words.
j
Apr 29, 2016 3:25 AM

Jan 2015
Movic_Fan said:
Winnie i think u would love Tokyo ghoul.the story goes like this- a boy name kaneki transforms from a normal human to a ghoul and latter on becomes very strong with the circumstances that he faces

If anything, he would hate the wimp Kaneki is in the anime.
Jul 28, 2016 5:02 PM
Jul 2016
Tatsuya shiba - Irregular at Magic Highschool
Takashi Mori - Ouran Host Club

those are some
Aug 17, 2016 9:45 PM
Apr 2015
Inferno792 said:
Movic_Fan said:

If anything, he would hate the wimp Kaneki is in the anime.

Well, I'm not sure about the anime but Kaneki grows out of his wimp phase quite early on in the manga, even though he only becomes truly badass near the end of Tokyo Ghoul. But there's also :Re to think about too
Apr 2, 2018 7:55 AM
Mar 2018
Ayanokoji from classroom of the elite is the best one ive seen so far
Apr 2, 2018 8:23 PM
Jan 2017
Mookster said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Berserk

I second this, but read the manga. The anime is garbage

More topics from this board

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

9 by r3v3l3v3l »»
40 minutes ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - 10 hours ago

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
3 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - 6 hours ago

0 by Skuletor »»
6 hours ago

» ใ€Œ ๐œ—โ„˜ ๐š๐ง๐ข๐ฆ๐ž/๐ฆ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ ๐ ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐œ—โ„˜ ใ€(โ€โ› ึŠ โ›โ€ž)โ™ก

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
7 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
7 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.