Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2012 8:34 AM

Aug 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really liked this episode, but I feel as if it failed to reach any satisfying conclusion or to make any significant point other than "don't be a bad person".

Also, who the hell was that old man in the end? EDIT: It turns out the old man is the main character in the following story. I must say I really liked how certain details in these 2 stories connected.
Tiago97Oct 14, 2012 9:03 AM
Oct 26, 2012 6:28 AM

Feb 2011
Hell looks like a fun place .
Jan 26, 2013 12:05 AM
Aug 2011
Not feeling this one too much but lets see if the remaining episode helps.

7/10

I'm going to be biased here when I say that if it someone other than Miyano it would have been less enjoyable.
Jan 29, 2013 2:00 PM

Jan 2011
Didn't know hell was that trippy O.o
Mar 17, 2013 2:36 PM

Dec 2012
the second half of that episode totally ruined it.

anyway. i would like to watch a whole show with kandata. he's totally the kind of character i love - slef-confident, kind of overpowered, careless, bitter and psychopathic. i would like to see more of/with him.
Jun 18, 2013 12:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The weakest part of the series so far for me. The art was amazing though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 21, 2013 4:08 PM

Jan 2012
Wasn't that supposed to be a kid's story?
Aug 1, 2013 6:30 PM

Jul 2008
Eksta said:

^This. Where were these stories when I was a kid?
Aug 15, 2013 10:58 AM

Jan 2012
I read a summary of the book before watching and although the episode is very good we are left hanging in some parts. They cut a lot of background out, the old man was Buddha himself, he was the one saving Kandata because he saw the compassion he had for the spider. In the end the spider's thread gets cut because Kandata shows he has not redeemed himself.
Aug 21, 2013 9:56 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, looks like I'm one of the few who actually liked this episode. As for me, perhaps even more than the rest of them. That's mainly thanks to the art and music in the second part - man, what a trip!
Also, it was insightful to read about the Buddha interpretation. I mean, if you look closely at the spider near the end of the episode, it does look kind of adorned and all.

And I third Eksta's and Ero-Camel's comment - kid's story:D.
失われた翼を探して
Oct 6, 2013 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
Spiders, always finding new ways to screw you over.

I liked Kandata's character design but he was a gigantic douche and a hypocrite, it was obvious he wouldn't change his ways.
Oct 8, 2013 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty interesting episode.
Avenger-senpaiOct 8, 2013 9:27 PM
Apr 27, 2014 10:09 PM

Sep 2012
hiabara said:
Then you completely missed the point.
May 21, 2014 1:48 AM

Jun 2012
well even though this was a lot more supernatural, not as realistic, I still liked it a lot.

Aug 28, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2014
Average.
I'd like to know why spiders are associated to Hell. Time to google some.
The art was nice and the main character did not appealed to me.
Liked the final image.
Nov 5, 2014 9:22 PM
Aug 2011
God is a spider, the end.
Feb 23, 2015 12:15 AM

Nov 2013
What the fucking fuck?

This seemed really fucked up for a kids story.

Hell looks like complete mind rape.

Kandata was a douchebag for killing that child's mother.

Have no idea if this episode was trying to be funny or serious. Cause I was laughing my ass off at Kandata's suffering.

Wtf happened at the end? Who was that guy there who was watching Kandata's corpse?

That was rushed as hell. Heh get it? Hell?

5/10 Maybe not as bad as the Cherry Blossom story but it was still pretty shitty.

Jun 19, 2015 5:14 AM
Nov 2014
Decent ep, he deserved the worse after what he did.
Aug 8, 2015 9:27 AM
N/A

Jan 2014
So he was a bad guy who killed a lot of people. He saw a spider but didn't kill it. Instead he was killed, and sent to hell but a single spider thread came down to "save him" because the spider saw that there was still hope in him? However when the others starting climbing the thread as well -- he kicked them down, and the spider realized "nope, goodbye".

That was my interpretation at least.
Nov 21, 2015 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
Ero-Camel said:
Eksta said:

^This. Where were these stories when I was a kid?

Well, it definitely is. Of course not in that bloody and psychedelic way like we seen in this episode. I don't remember who told me that story, but I know it very well. And it was not a spider (I remember it because hate spiders)
hiabara said:

Ruined what? Are you serious?! You like watching insane man who is killing random people for fun? It's not normal, you know?
rsc-plNov 21, 2015 3:41 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 2016 1:16 PM

Nov 2012
This is one of the classic story that I have heard everywhere back then. Though a small difference in details. Already know the story but still interesting to see it animated.
Mar 7, 2016 12:20 PM

Aug 2011
First half was all bloody and violent and the second half was what I imagine an acid trip would feel like. Therefore, I am somewhat confused about the whole point of it - given a chance to escape Hell only because the dude didn't kill a spider? Uuuum, he killed countless people pretty much just because he could before, are you really telling me there's any saving for the likes of those? Please.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Apr 24, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2015
So this story is what give the culprit from ERASED inspiration huh, I see..
Apr 27, 2016 11:59 PM

Jun 2015
It was enjoyable very good story, I already knew it but I wanted to see it animated, and it was good, that main character seems to be cool but is such a bad guy
May 20, 2016 1:46 AM

Apr 2013
Quantization said:
So he was a bad guy who killed a lot of people. He saw a spider but didn't kill it. Instead he was killed, and sent to hell but a single spider thread came down to "save him" because the spider saw that there was still hope in him? However when the others starting climbing the thread as well -- he kicked them down, and the spider realized "nope, goodbye".

That was my interpretation at least.

yeah, or the spider just messed with him by giving him the fake idea of freedom, with all intention to cut the thread loose, you know, being in hell and all. Either way this was mediocre at best. I had higher expectations for this series overall.
Jun 4, 2016 5:21 PM

Aug 2014
The art in this arc was fantastic.
Very good arc.
Jun 22, 2016 6:30 PM

Jul 2014
Aside from the gorgeous art they didn't get to the meat of the tale at all, though it seems this arc will continue in the next episode, judging from the preview. Apparently they wanted to focus on why the criminal went to Hell rather than the whole point of why he stayed in Hell.

The only part I enjoyed in this episode was the acid trip Kandata suffered in Hell. It's entertaining in the sense that he only now in Hell does he realize the suffering he's bringing to other people, though ultimately he doesn't change his ways. It's a unique take on the story, but still for the most part boring, especially the events that led up to his arrival to Hell.

shiroyume said:
First half was all bloody and violent and the second half was what I imagine an acid trip would feel like. Therefore, I am somewhat confused about the whole point of it - given a chance to escape Hell only because the dude didn't kill a spider? Uuuum, he killed countless people pretty much just because he could before, are you really telling me there's any saving for the likes of those? Please.

The whole point was that Buddha, or the spider, saw this one act of goodness (sparing the spider) as a way for the criminal to redeem himself. The thread snapped upon Buddah observing the criminal's refusal to let anyone else climb the thread with him, this being indicative of his ill-will and his inability to be good.

Moral of the story: Don't be a dick.

You said:
So this story is what give the culprit from ERASED inspiration huh, I see..

The way this story was incorporated in ERASED made absolutely no sense and didn't latch on to the rest of the show thematically. Well, that's just my opinion.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Sep 29, 2016 10:02 AM

Nov 2015
Interesting. The final part has a very nice art. 4/5
Dec 28, 2016 9:09 AM
Apr 2015
eh,predictable message still not too bad
Mar 17, 2017 3:23 PM

Jan 2015
Art was fine, but animation had some serious drops here and there. Voice acting i feel like was a joke, or at least I hope it was cause it was mostly terrible.
Kept wondering why Hisoka was giving speeches and debating with Hououin Kyouma.
Story was mediocre, even for something aimed at kids.
Only good things about this episode was the music when there was some, and trippy artstyle in the second part.
Apr 28, 2017 8:45 AM
Nov 2015
example of how a stupid overacting can shit on an excellent source material.
WORST WORST VOICE ACTING EVERRRRRRRRRR Mamoru Miyano I'm disappointed.
Jun 1, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
Huh, that was ... interesting. Dang, Mamoru sounded so funny in this XD Was this really supposed to be a children's story?! Seemed kind of dark and violent to me o_O I thought the art was pretty interesting at least ... Kandata just dies at the end, spider was like "lol nope OK you stay down there" XD Obviously he wasn't a fan of the way Kandata tried to kick everyone else off the thread :P I'm guessing the old guy in the end is gonna come up next episode? Guess we'll have to see, though in my download it's just one big long episode with an interlude in the middle o_O
Nov 2, 2017 2:04 AM

May 2014
Well i guess her deserved that. If hell really exists, it probably is psychological mind fuck.
May 21, 2018 4:16 AM

Sep 2011
This one was meh, it was like:

"Hey, let me kill this lady that has a child for a bit of food just because."
*sees little spider*
"Omg, all life matters."

Then the little spider turns out to be a god or something like that, and gives him the chance to escape hell by climbing its thread, but as his true nature is once more revealed as he refuses to share it even with his own victims, it breaks and the spider turns away.

Well, it was nice seeing from where that Osomatsu-san episode got its inspiration, but that's it.
May 23, 2018 10:50 AM

Aug 2017
Creppy Hell.

Ahhh, i'm scared of spiders.

So, a serial killer dies and goes to Hell. He didn't kill a spider that he met before his death. Therefore the spider try to help him to go to Heaven but he continues to be a bad person. Finally, he gets trapped in Hell forever lol.

It's not a bad story but i don't felt anything. 6.5/10

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 18, 2018 7:59 AM

Apr 2010
That was one acid trip...in hell.
Oct 30, 2018 7:49 AM

Feb 2018
This ep was boring af and pointless. I don't know how awesome can the next ep be to make up for this crap.
Jan 20, 2019 10:01 AM

Jun 2015
I really liked the fantastic art. It was very different from the previous stories.

Wow, I thought this story was older than this.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 21, 2019 4:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Beautiful story and animation, loved it
Jun 24, 2019 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
Wasn't my favorite by any means but I respect the moral of the story.
Aug 11, 2019 9:20 AM

May 2016
I first read the story of the Spider's Thread back in elementary school so I was very surprised that the story wasn't as old as I thought. I figured that this story would be the sort of story that gets passed on by monks without any clue on who actually came up of it first so finding out that there's a name behind the fairy tale was interesting.

The first half was really cheesy but I think that it was done on purpose since Kandata the asshole was living his life really immaturely so that might've been how he saw things, or so I hope. The second part was really trippy and it was a complete mindfuck for the main character as it should be and I can definitely feel the disappointment from the spider when he saw him kicking down the other damned souls that wanted to be free too. Buddha somewhat saw that there was a sliver of good in that bastard and put him to the test but he failed anyway. He deserved it though, that's for certain.

Nov 9, 2019 10:19 PM
Jul 2018
Art was good, trippy but not palatable to me.. maybe it's my mood.

This episode felt weak.
Feb 3, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2015
Unique portrayal of the Spider thread story, hell looks like a pretty trippy place

Pretty clear message if you ask me, "don't be evil"

Oct 6, 2021 10:25 AM

Sep 2016
Really liked this one. Loved the symbolism of God (technically Buddha?) as the white spider giving him a second chance in the split second of his death through the spider's thread. He could've ended up in heaven, but he wasted his last chance for selflessness and gave in to his murderous nature. A pity... Loved what they did in such a small time, and I got really curious to read the book.
OgaZoSoOct 6, 2021 10:29 AM
Nov 5, 2021 11:57 PM

Jan 2020
I think I've heard of this story....well he deserved to be trapped in hell I guess....
Jan 21, 2022 7:06 AM

Jan 2021
Didn't he at the begging say this story was for kids?

I wonder who that guy at the end of the episode was, I guess I will find out soon enough
Sep 6, 2022 1:01 PM
Feb 2021
I like Aoi series I want more of this
Aug 24, 2023 11:22 PM
Jun 2014
After skimming this story's source material, it seems as if the original story was only the part that took place in hell. I appreciate the effort that went into this, but the majority of the episode lacked substance, or any characters at all pretty much, it feels kind of pointless, and it makes more sense to me now that I know the first 70% of the episode is all anime original. The original story seems to be about 1000 words long, which is probably not enough even for 20 minutes of content. They definitely needed to flesh out the setting more to justify a full episode I think, as none of the added events bring much substance to the story, like, we already knew that Kandata was a bad person, we didn't need like 15 minutes of him running around aimlessly killing to know that.
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM

Oct 2018
Terrifying depiction of the hell with the use of colors. Coming from the last story, it definitely feels like a step down (well, step down compared to all 4 stories tbh) but we have one more episode to go with.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 5, 2009

154 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 16, 2023 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.