Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2012 2:48 PM

Nov 2011
The Chimera Ant arc was amazing. I've completely read the arc 3 times now.
Oct 17, 2012 4:27 PM

Dec 2007
Absolutely stunning episode. Amazing.
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]
Oct 17, 2012 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
Mephz said:
Imo the chimera arc was terribly boring and bland. This arc is by far the best one.

Conversely for me it is bloody fantastic and my favourite arc thus far, even though the build up could have been shortened.
Oct 17, 2012 5:43 PM

Oct 2011
Trafl-guy said:
That arc is the some of the best qualities a shonen can offer (along with the follow-up arc - the election)

The hate was because of the hiatuses that were along the road and weirdness of the enemies since YS offered a realistic setting so it's weird to see magical beasts after so long. People start acting as if they came out of nowhere. Compared to YS, it's really an underrated arc. A lot of hate was personal and only a few disliked it. So technically it was better received than the YS arc.

As for the OVAs, I really liked them.
The first OVA was really great, better than YS itself for me. It also felt more like New York lol.
The 2nd OVA was good and the 3rd, while some animation moments were....retarded...and it had many changes, was still a good adaptation. :)

I think Mephz said it best, it can be a love or hate type of arc. I consider HxH to be my favorite series and I know that there is more than just a few who were at least disappointed by it. I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying that I feel Hunter x Hunter is at it's best over these next two arcs. The CA stuff was badly paced, had some wierd stalling and tons of text without visuals. I wasn't one of the people who read it during the hiatuses, and yet I still found the same problems as someone I know who read it through the 8 long years.
Oct 17, 2012 11:17 PM

Sep 2012
fearthebeard85 said:
Trafl-guy said:
That arc is the some of the best qualities a shonen can offer (along with the follow-up arc - the election)

The hate was because of the hiatuses that were along the road and weirdness of the enemies since YS offered a realistic setting so it's weird to see magical beasts after so long. People start acting as if they came out of nowhere. Compared to YS, it's really an underrated arc. A lot of hate was personal and only a few disliked it. So technically it was better received than the YS arc.

As for the OVAs, I really liked them.
The first OVA was really great, better than YS itself for me. It also felt more like New York lol.
The 2nd OVA was good and the 3rd, while some animation moments were....retarded...and it had many changes, was still a good adaptation. :)

I think Mephz said it best, it can be a love or hate type of arc. I consider HxH to be my favorite series and I know that there is more than just a few who were at least disappointed by it. I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying that I feel Hunter x Hunter is at it's best over these next two arcs. The CA stuff was badly paced, had some wierd stalling and tons of text without visuals. I wasn't one of the people who read it during the hiatuses, and yet I still found the same problems as someone I know who read it through the 8 long years.

"loving it or hating it" can be said on every arc/series. That's what it means to love/hate something. There's no arc that isn't a love it or hate it :/

As for the HxH feel, the CA had more of it than the GI/YN, it brought things back to the early hunter exams, but in a much deadlier way.
I found no stalling, it was all part of the development, there's only 1 fight that wasn't that good and the rest was expanding on whichever character it was focusing on (even the bad guys)
I liked the idea of narrating things, it avoids having the characters try to explain it directly in a cheesy way.
Oct 18, 2012 6:09 AM

Jan 2011
AceIII said:
Awesome episode ! I still dont get it why this is rated PG-13 lol
Yeah. Should it be PG-15 then?

Wow, didn't expect to get lots of thumbs up from Youtube comments by posting HxH :D
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Oct 18, 2012 6:14 AM

Sep 2012
Hyoroemon said:
AceIII said:
Awesome episode ! I still dont get it why this is rated PG-13 lol
Yeah. Should it be PG-15 then?

Wow, didn't expect to get lots of thumbs up from Youtube comments by posting HxH :D

huh? :P
Oct 18, 2012 7:20 AM

Sep 2008
Trafl-guy said:
"loving it or hating it" can be said on every arc/series. That's what it means to love/hate something. There's no arc that isn't a love it or hate it :/

As for the HxH feel, the CA had more of it than the GI/YN, it brought things back to the early hunter exams, but in a much deadlier way.
I found no stalling, it was all part of the development, there's only 1 fight that wasn't that good and the rest was expanding on whichever character it was focusing on (even the bad guys)
I liked the idea of narrating things, it avoids having the characters try to explain it directly in a cheesy way.

wrong, love or hate it is an expression used where the fans split in two seperate factions completely, there is no middle road. Most arcs have people that think, this was just "ok" or "alright". The chimera arc is kind of either you outright hate it and get bored to tears or you love it.
Oct 18, 2012 7:27 AM

Sep 2012
Mephz said:
Trafl-guy said:

wrong, love or hate it is an expression used where the fans split in two seperate factions completely, there is no middle road. Most arcs have people that think, this was just "ok" or "alright". The chimera arc is kind of either you outright hate it and get bored to tears or you love it.

According to Fearthebeard, he didn't really hate it, it just wasn't as good as YN in his opinion, that's middle road enough for me.
Oct 18, 2012 8:03 AM

Sep 2008
Trafl-guy said:
Mephz said:
Trafl-guy said:

According to Fearthebeard, he didn't really hate it, it just wasn't as good as YN in his opinion, that's middle road enough for me.

it's an expression, it does not mean everyone fits the definition. He is just one lad. If you look at the ratings now for example 90% of the people that watched this episode gave it 5/5. It's been a similar story for most of the other spider arc episodes. When the chimera arc comes I'm expecting a lot more 1/5 votes, just read the comments for the chimera arc in the manga section and you will see what I mean. It's either 1/5 or 5/5 for most of the chapters.

Half the people are saying how bad it is while the rest is praising it
Oct 18, 2012 8:13 AM

Sep 2012
Again, most of it was hiatus hate, and while I haven't been around MAL far back to the last weekly hxh release, most other forums consisted of that, either that or HxH haters in general.

But from an objective stand-point it's way better than YN arc; The structure and development that is.

Overall just like the other arcs, it has it's own fresh feel while keeping the "hunter" part present. Oh well.
Oct 18, 2012 8:13 AM

Sep 2008
to name a example: testament chapter 318. Very mixed reviews (25% vote either dislike or hate), http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=332719 then again that one was quite....empty in content. There are excellent chapters once in a while but they dragged that story so much than many stopped bothering with hunter x hunter alltogether during that arc. It lost part of the fans it had gained with the spider arc. That is not the sign of a successful arc.

But from an objective stand-point it's way better than YN arc; The structure and development that is.

I don't agree, I just think he author was throwing together a mix of cliche crap in that arc trying to make it look epic, failing at it for me.
MephzOct 18, 2012 8:21 AM
Oct 18, 2012 8:23 AM

Sep 2012
How is it cliche again? Cliche would be
Oct 18, 2012 8:27 AM
Sep 2012
Marveloussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!
Requiem is officially the best anime scene ever.

@dudes above, You're spoiling CA >.<
Oct 18, 2012 8:35 AM

Sep 2008
Trafl-guy said:

Don't read if you haven't read the manga!!!!!!
Oct 18, 2012 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
pokymon said:
Mephz said:
Imo the chimera arc was terribly boring and bland. This arc is by far the best one.

Conversely for me it is bloody fantastic and my favourite arc thus far, even though the build up could have been shortened.

Agreed. It was an arc that most manga/anime should learn from. I just hope MH doesn't run out of budget money and f*** it up like every other long-running anime
End Zionazism
Oct 18, 2012 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
Mephz said:
Trafl-guy said:

Don't read if you haven't read the manga!!!!!!

Oct 18, 2012 9:24 AM

Sep 2008
Trafl-guy said:

Don't read if you haven't read all the manga
MephzOct 18, 2012 9:31 AM
Oct 18, 2012 10:12 AM

Sep 2012
Mephz said:
Trafl-guy said:

Don't read if you haven't read all the manga

Oct 18, 2012 12:26 PM

Oct 2011
Mikasa said:

Agreed. It was an arc that most manga/anime should learn from. I just hope MH doesn't run out of budget money and f*** it up like every other long-running anime

My main point of commenting which spiraled into an all out debate about that arc was that I see way too many comments along the lines of "oh if you thought that was good, so and so in the CA arc was much better" and I don't like how that leads new fans on. A lor of people were split on that arc (not just those who read it throughout the hiatuses) so to try to sway new fans like that seems unfair, especially since you're trying to downplay the two arcs that come before it.
Oct 18, 2012 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
^agreed (though I only recall seeing people commenting on violence levels here)

and to the people that want to debate the CA arc, there's a manga section for a reason..
Oct 18, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
fearthebeard85 said:
Mikasa said:

My main point of commenting which spiraled into an all out debate about that arc was that I see way too many comments along the lines of "oh if you thought that was good, so and so in the CA arc was much better" and I don't like how that leads new fans on. A lor of people were split on that arc (not just those who read it throughout the hiatuses) so to try to sway new fans like that seems unfair, especially since you're trying to downplay the two arcs that come before it.

Actually they were only talking about the violence levels, if you thought that was bloody, wait for CA. Don't recall anyone talking about the story itself until you mentioned it lol :P
And actually hyping up arcs like that makes people have higher expectations and some people might hate on the arc for no reason. You make it sound as if some fans are desperate and are begging people to like the CA. No. It can do well on it's own for people who come here for the story.

"a lot of people were split on that arc" yeah and a lot of HxH episodes have higher ratings (90%) when they have fights and much lower ratings when they progress the story because they are "boring" and "nothing happened" despite the fact that much more happened in that certain episode compared to the one that was all about a mere fight. A lot of people here come expecting "just fights".
My point is: Your bringing up "a lot of people were split" is irrelevant and doesn't really prove that it was bad. Or of lesser quality than that of YN.
Oct 18, 2012 2:32 PM

Oct 2011
fearthebeard85 said:
Mikasa said:

"To not spoil anything I will put a simple comparison of violence level, this episodes is to puppies roughhousing and CA Arc is to a knife fight between two violent men..."

New fans' reaction
"the blood parts in this episode made me cringe a little bit i don't know if i can handle the 'chimera' (i think its called ?) arc because of what everyone has said.."

So you start downplaying the CA arc, and call it overrated when people were only talking about the blood and you talk about how the old fans are trying to sway in the new fans? Sounds like you're just bitter about the arc and feel like hating on it here.

And yes, the CA is the best arc, you prefer the YN arc? Or maybe an arc from a different manga? Good for you. But don't blame things on other people when you start it. Please.
x5exoticOct 18, 2012 2:40 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2012 3:15 PM

Nov 2011
x5exotic said:

"To not spoil anything I will put a simple comparison of violence level, this episodes is to puppies roughhousing and CA Arc is to a knife fight between two violent men..."

New fans' reaction
"the blood parts in this episode made me cringe a little bit i don't know if i can handle the 'chimera' (i think its called ?) arc because of what everyone has said.."

So you start downplaying the CA arc, and call it overrated when people were only talking about the blood and you talk about how the old fans are trying to sway in the new fans? Sounds like you're just bitter about the arc and feel like hating on it here.

And yes, the CA is the best arc, you prefer the YN arc? Or maybe an arc from a different manga? Good for you. But don't blame things on other people when you start it. Please.

This is correct.
Oct 18, 2012 3:39 PM

Jun 2008
NJZanDatsu said:
The Chimera Ant arc was amazing. I've completely read the arc 3 times now.

MonadOct 18, 2012 3:43 PM
Oct 18, 2012 3:48 PM

Oct 2011
NJZanDatsu said:
x5exotic said:

New fans' reaction

This is correct.

I remember when I first signed up here, and HxH was back, and it was Fearthebeard and Monad themselves who'd constantly bring up how "bad" the arc" was in every election chapter until I started whining about it lol.

Apparently "super bugs" are unbelievable but zombies, giants, cyborgs, aliens and looney toons characters in a pirate world make perfect sense.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2012 4:59 PM

Oct 2011
Such a beautifull episode :'>
Oct 18, 2012 5:07 PM
Oct 2011
ANT ARC SUCKS. Togashi tried too hard and failed. It came out of nowhere, had too many boring panels, overanalysis of characters we don't give a fuck about, n0ob philosophizing and it just didn't add-up together in the end.

but i agree that it was fearthebeard who started this whole debate. hehe.
Oct 18, 2012 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
Our opinions mean jack shit. When we eventually get to the arc. If new fans like it they, they like it, and if they don't like it, they don't like it. It's as simple as that. So let's just drop this whole discussion. We're not even in the Greed Island arc yet.....
Oct 18, 2012 7:16 PM

Oct 2011
x5exotic said:

I remember when I first signed up here, and HxH was back, and it was Fearthebeard and Monad themselves who'd constantly bring up how "bad" the arc" was in every election chapter until I started whining about it lol.

Apparently "super bugs" are unbelievable but zombies, giants, cyborgs, aliens and looney toons characters in a pirate world make perfect sense.

I don't remember this at all lol, if I did than damn that was a long time ago. I never said you guys can't like the damn arc, I know a lot of people like it but you also have to recognize that there are those who were disappointed. Do I hate the arc? No, I honestly think it will be much better in the anime than the manga, but obviously I don't hate it (look at my avatar).

Like I said before, I just don't like how it gets brought up so often when we are a long way away from it. I know you guys won't drop the subject, and that's my fault for bringing it up in the first place, I take full responsibility for that.

Will I call the Ant arc overrated? Yes I will because I have every right to feel that way, that doesn't mean I didn't like parts of it. I had my problems with it and will continue to have my problems with it.

I would appreciate it if it didn't get brought up in every other thread though. I see at least one comment about the Ant arc in almost every episode discussion thread.

I will drop the subject since I brought it up in the first place and that was my fault. I think I have the right to think the arc was overrated and voice my opinion of it, but here was the wrong place to do it. So yeah, I will stop posting about that subject here.
Oct 18, 2012 7:59 PM
Aug 2012
x5exotic said:

EPIC CLAPS !!! XD LMAOOO IKR, that makes total sense. The ant arc IS the best arc in HxH but I don't try to push it down people's throats ( not saying you are ) :p I just don't care too much anymore. Overall if someone doesn't like something... why should that bother me ? They're HxH fans but don't like a certain arc, I'm a HxH fan but I like EVERY arc, who do you think enjoys it more ? :)
Oct 19, 2012 12:17 AM

Oct 2011
fearthebeard85 said:
x5exotic said:

I don't remember this at all lol, if I did than damn that was a long time ago. I never said you guys can't like the damn arc, I know a lot of people like it but you also have to recognize that there are those who were disappointed. Do I hate the arc? No, I honestly think it will be much better in the anime than the manga, but obviously I don't hate it (look at my avatar).

Like I said before, I just don't like how it gets brought up so often when we are a long way away from it. I know you guys won't drop the subject, and that's my fault for bringing it up in the first place, I take full responsibility for that.

Will I call the Ant arc overrated? Yes I will because I have every right to feel that way, that doesn't mean I didn't like parts of it. I had my problems with it and will continue to have my problems with it.

I would appreciate it if it didn't get brought up in every other thread though. I see at least one comment about the Ant arc in almost every episode discussion thread.

I will drop the subject since I brought it up in the first place and that was my fault. I think I have the right to think the arc was overrated and voice my opinion of it, but here was the wrong place to do it. So yeah, I will stop posting about that subject here.

Again, YOU are the one who brought it up. People were discussing how the violence will be handled in the CA arc based on how it's being handled now and all of a sudden you're like "man I dislike this arc so much people stop talking about how good it is"

And just as much as you claim to have the right to dislike it, others have the right to like it. And since you're obviously the one who brought this topic here, you're the one who's forcing stuff down people's throats.

And we're technically 1 arc away from it. From episode 1 to 39 we've heard much more about how "Yorknew will be awesome".

You see a CA arc in every thread? Well I used to see YS in every thread but you don't see me complaining. And again, it was about the violence, not whatever it is you're hating on.

@Chikky you're dead to me! >.<
Oct 19, 2012 12:24 AM

Sep 2012
I like how someone complains about people talking about something without realizing that they're the ones who started it.

Feels like someone was just feeling hate toward something and needed to get it out. :P
Oct 19, 2012 2:26 AM

Jun 2010
Phantom Troupe is the best villain group i've ever see across all anime, they might argue with each other, but we can clearly see that they actually care about one another :3 Chrollo is the BOSS~!~
Epic ep, i really enjoy the requime
5*
Oct 19, 2012 4:14 AM

Oct 2011
x5exotic said:
Again, YOU are the one who brought it up. People were discussing how the violence will be handled in the CA arc based on how it's being handled now and all of a sudden you're like "man I dislike this arc so much people stop talking about how good it is"

And just as much as you claim to have the right to dislike it, others have the right to like it. And since you're obviously the one who brought this topic here, you're the one who's forcing stuff down people's throats.

And we're technically 1 arc away from it. From episode 1 to 39 we've heard much more about how "Yorknew will be awesome".

You see a CA arc in every thread? Well I used to see YS in every thread but you don't see me complaining. And again, it was about the violence, not whatever it is you're hating on.

"man I dislike this arc so much people stop talking about how good it is"

I never once said this lol, the fact that you resorted to using words I never said is completely immature.

Second, I acknowledged it was my fault for bringing it up in the first place, I shouldn't have brought it up at all. That doesn't mean I am not going to comment back though when you insult me by quoting words I never said.
Oct 19, 2012 4:24 AM

Oct 2011
fearthebeard85 said:
x5exotic said:

I never once said this lol, the fact that you resorted to using words I never said is completely immature.

Second, I acknowledged it was my fault for bringing it up in the first place, I shouldn't have brought it up at all. That doesn't mean I am not going to comment back though when you insult me by quoting words I never said.

"I think a lot of you guys overrate the Chimera Ant stuff (not on the violence of course but as an arc in general). Not to say that the arc is bad, but it gets hype like it's the defining arc of HxH in a lot of these threads."

"Like I said before, I just don't like how it gets brought up so often"

Yes that is what you said, I'm just saying it in my own words. That's not really putting words in your mouth -_______- It's just not me quoting your exact words.
Oct 19, 2012 4:58 AM

Jun 2008
x5exotic said:
NJZanDatsu said:
x5exotic said:

New fans' reaction

This is correct.

So according to your ridiculous logic if Death Note continued with an invasion of space alien monkeys would have been just fine since One Piece and Dragon Ball have crazy shit too. You have to be really ignorant to not realize the difference of an element fitting easily in the atmosphere of a story and not.
Oct 19, 2012 5:01 AM

Oct 2011
x5exotic said:
fearthebeard85 said:
x5exotic said:

"I think a lot of you guys overrate the Chimera Ant stuff (not on the violence of course but as an arc in general). Not to say that the arc is bad, but it gets hype like it's the defining arc of HxH in a lot of these threads."

"Like I said before, I just don't like how it gets brought up so often"

Yes that is what you said, I'm just saying it in my own words. That's not really putting words in your mouth -_______- It's just not me quoting your exact words.

I never said I dislike the arc though :I .... I said it was overrated, but I don't think it's bad. If I disliked the arc so much I wouldn't have
Other than that I'll let the subject go since I shouldn't have even brought it up in the first place.
Oct 19, 2012 5:10 AM
Oct 2011
For those who're saying the ants came out of nowhere let's not forget the first page of the first chapter of Hunter x Hunter (and eventually the first minute of the first episodes in the 2011 version, which wasn't in the 1999 version iirc):
Apparently Togashi was planning to cover what's in that page, whether the arc was good or bad it doesn't mean the arc came out of nowhere. Hunter x Hunter is all about its world, and the strange creatures (or demons?) was one of the things Togashi wanted to explore in that world, and as you know the next arc is about the unexplored lands.
Candor123Oct 19, 2012 6:04 AM
Oct 19, 2012 8:32 AM
Oct 2011
x5exotic said:

you know how i feel about that arc lol :(

don't get me wrong, there are many parts i like (ryodan, gon killua training, first parts of invasion [really love this part actually], netero vs king and a few others).

but at the same i think there were too many pointless chapters and overanalyzing. but the real the coup de grace was understanding togashi's intent at the end of it all and realizing that he failed in executing it well.
chikkychappyOct 19, 2012 8:40 AM
Oct 19, 2012 10:10 AM

Apr 2007
Togashi planned the whole manga from start till end before he even began writing it.
Oct 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Mar 2012
BlackListHunter said:
Togashi planned the whole manga from start till end before he even began writing it.

That's....not even a compliment <.<
If a writer plans the whole manga then doesn't that mean he just decided to postpone the release date and get as many chances to correct things?

But togashi said in an interview that after the ant arc 5-6 stories are left. Of course he hasn't written every single detail yet.
End Zionazism
Oct 19, 2012 10:25 AM
Aug 2012
Mikasa said:
BlackListHunter said:

That's....not even a compliment <.<
If a writer plans the whole manga then doesn't that mean he just decided to postpone the release date and get as many chances to correct things?

But togashi said in an interview that after the ant arc 5-6 stories are left. Of course he hasn't written every single detail yet.

5-6 ?!?!? I heard it was 3-4...
Oct 19, 2012 10:28 AM

Mar 2012
5-6 stories within 3-4 arcs.
End Zionazism
Oct 19, 2012 12:12 PM

Oct 2011
Mikasa said:
5-6 stories within 3-4 arcs.

I knew I had heard that somewhere as well.
Oct 19, 2012 3:04 PM

Jul 2010
Oh man... oh man.. that was epic. I'm like cringing out of excitement.
This just gets better and better, no joke at all.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
Oct 20, 2012 12:04 AM

Mar 2009
oh lordy I am so hyped for tomorrow's episode. I'm sure Madhouse's version of the fight will be incredible, just like the Hisoka vs. Gon battle.
Oct 20, 2012 4:30 PM

Aug 2012
The main reason I love HxH so much, since the 1st version, is that ppl actually die in it. There's blood, there's pain, and almost no regrets about it.

I dropped Naruto and Bleach cuz I just got sick of waiting 10 Episodes for a fight, and then ... "I'll let the guy go, he learned his lesson".

HxH dont have that kind of bullsh*t, ppl die when their time has come, they dont turn into water, they dont dissapear like magic.

10/10 for this episode, cuz that fish still scary. =D
Oct 21, 2012 12:10 AM

Jun 2012
it was so beautiful that i shedded a manly tear
Oct 27, 2012 3:41 AM

Sep 2009
This scene was amazing
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.