Forum Settings
Forums

Director Motohiro Katsuyuki Omits Moe From Psycho-Pass Anime

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2012 12:12 PM
Feb 2011
I'm glad to hear that. I watched the first episode and it's very dark, so moe would not make any sense in a show like this.

Males & females can enjoy this show, so I'm not sure why people are saying it's only for females? I actually think a lot of females wouldn't like the violence.
Oct 12, 2012 12:48 PM

Oct 2007
nerdsonfire1 said:
Males & females can enjoy this show, so I'm not sure why people are saying it's only for females? I actually think a lot of females wouldn't like the violence.
That's one of risks this show takes - will females be attracted by pretty guys or repelled by excessive violence? Will the setting and HanaKana win over male audience or maybe they will stay away because of homo vibes?
Yeah, this kind of show can easily be hit or flop, everything depends on execution. With Urobuchi on board there shouldn't be much of a problem but I prefer to stay moderately skeptical for now and let him surprise me like he did with Madoka.
Oct 12, 2012 12:52 PM

Jul 2010
goodie.

Oct 12, 2012 2:02 PM
Feb 2011
Progeusz said:
That's one of risks this show takes - will females be attracted by pretty guys or repelled by excessive violence? Will the setting and HanaKana win over male audience or maybe they will stay away because of homo vibes?
Yeah, this kind of show can easily be hit or flop, everything depends on execution. With Urobuchi on board there shouldn't be much of a problem but I prefer to stay moderately skeptical for now and let him surprise me like he did with Madoka.

I think the director's goal was to appeal to both and that's definitely a good thing. I typically don't like a lot of violence, but the summary sounded different so I decided to check it out. I'm not sure if I'll stick with the show, but it's intriguing enough for me now to keep tuning in. I hope that people can get past their biases and give it a chance.
Oct 12, 2012 2:04 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:

It's not that there were no appealing elements used. It's that certain other appealing elements that could have been used were not. Of course, it's pure speculation what those even were, if anything. It's easy to read far too much into the comments.

What else is there to add after all them bishounen design? were they planning to make it a completely female-oriented show? lol.
Oct 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
"Homo vibes"? Man, some people are frighteningly insecure with their sexuality.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 12, 2012 2:32 PM

Jun 2011
LMFAO

Greatest piece of news i heard in a long time.
Oct 12, 2012 2:54 PM

Feb 2010
Post-Moe said:
"Homo vibes"? Man, some people are frighteningly insecure with their sexuality.

/Thread
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 12, 2012 4:30 PM
Jun 2009
His next project should be a collaboration with Yamakan.
Oct 12, 2012 5:11 PM

Oct 2007
Trisection said:
His next project should be a collaboration with Yamakan.
Maybe it would even sell around Manabi Line!
Oct 12, 2012 6:29 PM

Oct 2008
Progeusz said:
Madoka was yuri, Psycho-Pass will be yaoi.

I can take almost everything.

I cannot take yaoi. It makes me vomit.
Oct 12, 2012 7:13 PM

Oct 2007
Don't worry, only beginning seems a little dangerous but HanaKana's narration lightens the mood, rest of the episode is perfectly fine. Obviously, I can't say what will happen later on. I'm not Homu.
Oct 12, 2012 8:20 PM

Mar 2009
I like how on pretty much every topic I've been on lately all people do is spew out homophobic garbage. Gj, MAL. Stay classy.
Oct 12, 2012 9:43 PM
Mar 2008
Wow, my first post in a forum since I registered 5 years ago. I can't resist the urge to answer this one.

Ok, what's wrong with a setting that is not a Happy Go Lucky moemoekyunkyunuguu-ish scenario? Why is always have to be the Loser that lives alone because his parents are dead or abroad and lives with an imouto with an overloading desire to get laid with him?

Why that loser has always a girl (who, in some cases is a complete retard) that is fated to be his "Destined One by the almighty power of love" but they have to overcome hard trials like the Drill-haired Student Council President who always has mannerisms like ohohohohoho~desuwa and the mysterious transfer student sent by a gloomy organization to block this relationship because their "Destined Love" is in a conflict of interests with other factions but at the end they end having a crush for the loser as well?

Why there is have to be always an onsen or beach episode?

Why the final boss is always have to be defeated by the combined Almighty power of The Destined Love and return to normal like nothing happened?!

I described almost like 100+ series to have one or more of these features in a nutshell and still call this boring?
Oct 12, 2012 10:05 PM
Jan 2010
You're one big pile of shit for trying hard to cater the "dark and edgy", Motohiro Katsuyuki.
This so-called "killing the moe" will be your undoing.
Oct 12, 2012 10:15 PM

Apr 2011
Yes!! I hate Moe - Burn in hell

Respect to Gen, Motohiro and everyone who finally saw the light of things.
Oct 12, 2012 11:34 PM

May 2012
Jyagan said:
Wow, my first post in a forum since I registered 5 years ago. I can't resist the urge to answer this one.

Ok, what's wrong with a setting that is not a Happy Go Lucky moemoekyunkyunuguu-ish scenario? Why is always have to be the Loser that lives alone because his parents are dead or abroad and lives with an imouto with an overloading desire to get laid with him?

Why that loser has always a girl (who, in some cases is a complete retard) that is fated to be his "Destined One by the almighty power of love" but they have to overcome hard trials like the Drill-haired Student Council President who always has mannerisms like ohohohohoho~desuwa and the mysterious transfer student sent by a gloomy organization to block this relationship because their "Destined Love" is in a conflict of interests with other factions but at the end they end having a crush for the loser as well?

Why there is have to be always an onsen or beach episode?

Why the final boss is always have to be defeated by the combined Almighty power of The Destined Love and return to normal like nothing happened?!

I described almost like 100+ series to have one or more of these features in a nutshell and still call this boring?

THANK YOU, You summarize today's garbage anime perfectly. I am so fed up that crap.

Awesome to know people in the industry are fed up too!
Oct 13, 2012 12:30 AM
Jan 2010

There's a pretty high chance that the people who "are fed up with the 'crap that is moe'" never actually contributed to the anime industry aside from their constant complaints of "moe garbage everywhere".
Oct 13, 2012 1:20 AM
Mar 2008
Orix said:

There's a pretty high chance that the people who "are fed up with the 'crap that is moe'" never actually contributed to the anime industry aside from their constant complaints of "moe garbage everywhere".

Why would I buy something that I don't like? Kinda Alienating if you give some thought.

But I don't diss moe like that. In the end, it's like a necessary evil (depends on your viewpoint). Because thanks to the compulsive buying of desperate fans to have media and merchandise of their favorite waifus, err I mean, characters, there is revenue to be invested in other projects that doesn't pander to the obvious dominating target group. That's a reason for a Studio to take risks publishing something that is not going 100% to be financially successful.

So, yeah. Keep voting with your wallets, you'll keep bringing balance to the market.
Oct 13, 2012 3:23 AM

Oct 2007
9988 said:
You do know that you're talking about the guy who created crazy popular mahou shoujo series?
Oct 13, 2012 7:29 AM

Jul 2010
sagdashin said:

agree.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 13, 2012 5:53 PM
Jan 2010
Clarification (thanks to the folks over at AnimeSuki for translating the original article):

Turns out that the decision to "omit moe" is more specifically a request to the production staff to not the use the word "moe" during each episode's creative meetings. The main reason is because Katsuyuki and Urobuchi are aiming for a series with a theme similar to Blade Runner.
Oct 13, 2012 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
Well, no shit. Anybody with a half a brain could have figured out a show like this wouldn't have any "moe".
Why did they feel the need to announce the obvious?

This is obviously just a publicity stunt.

sagdashin said:

What "light"?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 13, 2012 7:13 PM

Nov 2011
I really hope psycho-pass won't turn into one of those grimdark & edgy shows, but I have fate in Urobuchi

fujifruit said:
we can blame kyoani for inventing that moe garbarge i miss the days when we didn't have moe we had stuff like- oh wait.

You really think kyoani invented moe?

Are most "moe"-haters really this stupid?
rederoinOct 13, 2012 7:19 PM

Oct 13, 2012 7:14 PM

Mar 2012
Why would anyone aspire to create Blade Runner? That's like aspiring to have cereal for breakfast.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 13, 2012 7:50 PM

Jul 2011
rederoin said:
Well, no shit. Anybody with a half a brain could have figured out a show like this wouldn't have any "moe".

sagdashin said:

What "light"?

Well when i first read the synopsis and watched the trailer i must say i was expecting something in the ilk of a reverse harem slice of life series. I for one am pleasantly surprised and glad they clarified the animes position to avoid any potential mass confusion.

Without "moe" it means we are guaranteed to get a dark, sophisticated and brilliantly wriiten anime that we haven't seen since the likes of Zetman. Of course on the downside, if Zetman is any indicator, that missing element could also result in very poor sales.

I'm glad that people are finally acknowledging that "moe" is not a legitimate characteristic and its only purpose is to serve as fan bait.
Oct 13, 2012 8:40 PM
Apr 2010
Finally someone gets it.
Oct 13, 2012 8:54 PM

Sep 2012
NiN10d0h said:
Finally someone gets it.

More like someone gets you :-D
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 14, 2012 2:52 AM

Feb 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
HauntingShock said:
Uh... good news for the fans I think?

No comment~

You know your post is actually a comment, right? God, SAO seems to lower more than just standards...

Do you really think I never knew that? Then I guess I should really complete my sentences to deliver the right meaning since there's some people who gets worked up with it.

Uh... good news for the fans I think?

No comment besides this and regarding the anime itself~
Oct 14, 2012 3:20 AM

Oct 2007
ImagineThat said:
Without "moe" it means we are guaranteed to get a dark, sophisticated and brilliantly wriiten anime that we haven't seen since the likes of Zetman. Of course on the downside, if Zetman is any indicator, that missing element could also result in very poor sales.
It seems you aren't aware that Zetman was terribly butchered adaptation.
Oct 14, 2012 3:41 AM

Nov 2011
ImagineThat said:
rederoin said:

sagdashin said:

What "light"?

Well when i first read the synopsis and watched the trailer i must say i was expecting something in the ilk of a reverse harem slice of life series. I for one am pleasantly surprised and glad they clarified the animes position to avoid any potential mass confusion.

I'm glad that people are finally acknowledging that "moe" is not a legitimate characteristic and its only purpose is to serve as fan bait.

Are you being sarcastic? its kinda hard to tell.

Oct 14, 2012 7:08 AM
Mar 2010
Downgrade355 said:

What else is there to add after all them bishounen design? were they planning to make it a completely female-oriented show? lol.

warning:

utter stupidity ahead!

if they want to make it completely female-oriented, just do what KuroBas did. Have one tsundere, kuudere, deredere, yandere and....snackdere character.

oh wait, there are only 4 handsome bishies. hmm....let's see:
silver haired guy, if his attitude is like akashi, that will classify as yandere.
Orange Haired dude can be the next Kise.
Megane dude can be the next Midorima.
Main dude is like Aomine somewhat.

All the above + make it look like the three guys are 'friends' with the main guy and you've got the best female oriented show.

At the same time, it won't piss off male viewers.

I can already see the doujins for antagonist dude and main dude. the first episode is enough for that.

edit: ah, I was right.

I'm so sorry, you guys can shoot me now. XD
phoenixaliaOct 14, 2012 7:12 AM
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 14, 2012 9:51 AM

Sep 2010
Jyagan said:

Why would I buy something that I don't like? Kinda Alienating if you give some thought

If you think about about every niche, genre, trend, etc alienates those that don't like said niche, genre, trend. That doesn't stop producers from creating things that pander to groups who do like it. I've yet to see a series that is so generic that it tries to please everyone and succeed.

So, yeah. Keep voting with your wallets, you'll keep bringing balance to the market.

Meaningless drivel considering we are not part of the market that drive these shows.

And I bet that Urobutcher is just trolling you all,...again.

Oct 14, 2012 11:31 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
But yes most people (generally speaking) who complain are not putting any money behind their opinions, so they should not be surprised when their opinions don't result in the shows they want. No animator or director ever paid the bills with our opinions.

This is my biggest problem with the rants and gripes, sometimes lengthy and strident, I see in overseas anime fandom. I really doubt how many of those people really put their money where their mouth is. At the end anime is made for the paying customers not for those who only pay lip service about support and hold the product at his own aloof "non-pandering" standard.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 14, 2012 3:52 PM

May 2012
Shit tastes are shit tastes regardless if you are paying for the crap.

We know that it sells and moe - fanservice fans are insatiable and all it takes nowadays to make anime and the big sellers is cute girls doing cute things and boobs and panties so?.., companies have it even easier with the likes of todays fans, not for nothing not only is this crap of anime questionable and highly criticized but the ius also so much grip with fans themselves of those.

Now foreigners shut up you say, only they complain, not true, first you dont take into account its because its so simply to satisfy nowadays fan why would companies bother, work harder and risk it with more ambitious series? NO way, better milk the crap out of fanservice-moe lovers, it does not take much effort to please them with generic crap they love, not for nothing the overexposure of that kind of series done to death.

Todays fans again, are insatiable and broke the balance, what balance? That today we see shitty elements of fanservice and moe in pretty much ALL kind of series regardless of genre, how do you expect those that dont like moe and faservice see it nowadays even in the damn soup? All for the sake of getting the attetnion and money of juicy moe-fanservice buyers.

This is the main grip, too much overexpose and that you will see it in all series to get sales from a certain group of fans. ITS SAD that to SELL TODAY you need moe and fanservice, just SAD.

Now anime reach many foreigners too in a varity of way, how abiut simulcasts? and many pay so yes, they have the right to complain.

Oh but they dont contribute as much as us, so they shut up, yes true, you are the primary target, still, this does not mean overseas fandom does not have the right to complain, only in your dreams, so if you like todays generic series brace yourselves and bear with it.
9988Oct 14, 2012 3:55 PM
Oct 14, 2012 4:29 PM

Nov 2011
9988 said:

Well, I think its time to stop taking somebody like you seriously.

Oct 15, 2012 12:01 AM

Sep 2012
9988 said:

Seems that your ranting is more shit and crap than the anime you are ranting against.
9988 said:

We know that it sells and moe - fanservice fans are insatiable and all it takes nowadays to make anime and the big sellers is cute girls doing cute things and boobs and panties so?..,

Actually the market proves that while there is market for moe-fanservice, moe-fanservice alone does not necessarily sell. The market is not so simple, and the fact that it looks that way (that just moe-fanservice would sell) proves how little you know and understand the anime industry, its business and the market.

9988 said:

Now foreigners shut up you say, only they complain, not true, first you dont take into account its because its so simply to satisfy nowadays fan why would companies bother, work harder and risk it with more ambitious series?

There are ambitious series coming out regularly and it is amazing that despite the risk and often tighter finance in the anime industry this kind of shows are still coming out. And the problems with non-buying foreign consumers is the impression that they have got only big mouths. Paying little (or nothing) while demand a "high standard" (and whatever "good taste" they arrogantly think it should be) for what should be produced. Things you see as problematic or shit taste is just good entertainment for others -- and what happens in anime can be no different from other forms of popular entertainment: In TV or movies, we do not always see "ambitious" works but they do come from time to time, while most people will still enjoy the more regular output with some of them selling a lot better because of various reasons. This is the same for anime.

9988 said:

Now anime reach many foreigners too in a varity of way, how abiut simulcasts? and many pay so yes, they have the right to complain.
Oh but they dont contribute as much as us, so they shut up, yes true, you are the primary target, still, this does not mean overseas fandom does not have the right to complain, only in your dreams, so if you like todays generic series brace yourselves and bear with it.

As jmal said, you pay pittance and you want the deluxe service to please you? No way. Think simulcast as a way for anime to outreach the overseas (actually mostly or only American, and bear in mind that most of the world's anime fans outside Japan are not even living in America) and counterbalance the threat of rampant piracy, but revenue-wise it is so small. Of course it is much better than fans who pay zero amount of money into anime but does not mean that they automatically gain the right to be heard more often or paid more attention than those fans who are spending a lot more.
symbvOct 15, 2012 12:04 AM

Oct 15, 2012 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
Well, at least he has the right mindset for this type of anime. Otherwise it would ruin the dark and gritty world in Psycho-Pass. At least, what's currently portrayed by the first episode.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Oct 15, 2012 12:39 AM

Sep 2012
Entravity said:
Well, at least he has the right mindset for this type of anime. Otherwise it would ruin the dark and gritty world in Psycho-Pass. At least, what's currently portrayed by the first episode.

One thing that is important to bear in mind is that Motohiro only said he forbid the word MOE in the workplace which is not the same as banishing every potentially moe element in the anime. For example, the heroine already looks kind of moe and the guys in fact look quite ikemen (moe to the female audience). My interpretation for what Motohiro said is just that he is not going to consciously add moe elements on top of what already came out from the production staff.

Oct 15, 2012 1:34 AM
Jan 2010
People might not like this mentality, but I actually would like Psycho-Pass to tank sales-wise. (The definition of "tank" is up to you.)
Oct 15, 2012 1:46 AM
Mar 2010
Orix said:
People might not like this mentality, but I actually would like Psycho-Pass to tank sales-wise. (The definition of "tank" is up to you.)

why would you want it to tank? :O
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 15, 2012 2:03 AM

Oct 2007
phoenixalia said:
Orix said:

why would you want it to tank? :O
To enjoy the rage of dark and edgy fans, I suppose? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Psycho;Pass and given it's Urobuchi's title, it can easily jump straight to my favs in episode three but seeing it tank should be amusing for an observer. I can already imagine tears of moe-haters blaming poor performance of P-P on fans of harems and all-girls SoLs killing the industry.
Oct 15, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2011
phoenixalia said:

warning:

utter stupidity ahead!

if they want to make it completely female-oriented, just do what KuroBas did. Have one tsundere, kuudere, deredere, yandere and....snackdere character.

oh wait, there are only 4 handsome bishies. hmm....let's see:
silver haired guy, if his attitude is like akashi, that will classify as yandere.
Orange Haired dude can be the next Kise.
Megane dude can be the next Midorima.
Main dude is like Aomine somewhat.

All the above + make it look like the three guys are 'friends' with the main guy and you've got the best female oriented show.

At the same time, it won't piss off male viewers.

I can already see the doujins for antagonist dude and main dude. the first episode is enough for that.

edit: ah, I was right.

I'm so sorry, you guys can shoot me now. XD

Do what kurobas did? KuroBas was never female-oriented in the first place lol.
Bishounens (And friendship) don't make an anime female oriented, they are either the result of the design, or in some cases to attract female viewers, Like what K did and the sales don't look that pleasant right now, so it's a hit or miss, in most cases being a miss lolz. doujinshi have zero effect on the anime or the industry, they're drawn by fans to be sold to fans (Which is somewhat illegal), so yeah, they're totally irrelevant.

and lol i really don't understand what you wrote there phoenixalia. you were that bored, eh? xD

oh i almost forgot *shoots*
Downgrade355Oct 15, 2012 4:17 AM
Oct 15, 2012 5:44 AM
Jan 2010
To enjoy the rage of dark and edgy fans, I suppose? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Psycho;Pass and given it's Urobuchi's title, it can easily jump straight to my favs in episode three but seeing it tank should be amusing for an observer. I can already imagine tears of moe-haters blaming poor performance of P-P on fans of harems and all-girls SoLs killing the industry.

You. I like how you think. :)

To add, Psycho-Pass' failure would mean that not all anime series that have a dark theme would be an instant success (IIRC Zetman also bombed) and not every single series touched by the Urobutcher himself would rake in the cash (e.g. Brassreiter).
Oct 15, 2012 7:17 AM

Dec 2011
I think Psycho-Pass has been very good so far. With the story that they are trying to tell there is absolutely NO reason for there to be a moe character or really any moe elements; I think it would take away from the atmosphere that they are trying to create.

peace

Oct 15, 2012 8:06 AM

Sep 2012
zeneevee said:
there is absolutely NO reason for there to be a moe character or really any moe elements

Well, thing is moe elements are already found there - the character design, be it the heroine or the main male characters (except the older guy), is just one most obvious part. And does it take away from the atmosphere? I would leave everyone to decide for himself.

Oct 15, 2012 9:43 AM

Apr 2011
symbv said:
zeneevee said:
there is absolutely NO reason for there to be a moe character or really any moe elements

Well, thing is moe elements are already found there - the character design, be it the heroine or the main male characters (except the older guy), is just one most obvious part. And does it take away from the atmosphere? I would leave everyone to decide for himself.

I thought moe was cute girls doing cute things...
sagdashinOct 15, 2012 9:56 AM
Oct 15, 2012 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
sagdashin said:
symbv said:
zeneevee said:

I thought moe was cute girls doing cute things...

Its not. moe is not a genre.

Oct 15, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 2011

I never said it was
Oct 15, 2012 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
sagdashin said:

I never said it was

I'm just saying..

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 3 hours ago

5 by wildhood »»
13 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
2 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
5 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.