Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 28, 2012 10:55 AM

Aug 2011
Characters were fine but I the story was lacking a little. I'm looking forward to next time when the action begins.
Oct 28, 2012 9:14 PM

Apr 2007
Watching it on CrunchyRoll. The opening scene got me hooked. I'm in.
Oct 29, 2012 7:27 AM

Apr 2011
Huge carrier = MINDBLOWN
Nov 1, 2012 4:31 AM

Oct 2009
Feels like Saki.
Using Hiryuu - subs. :D
Join ★☆Shiraitodai Fan Club☆★ for Mahjong World Domination!!
Nov 1, 2012 5:43 PM

Oct 2012
Hana uses a special Japanese brush, not a pen!

At 17:15 in Episode 1, you can see the three girls sitting together in the classroom making their final selection of which course they will take for their compulsory elective (必須選択科目). After thinking about it all night, Miho has chosen Koudou (香道), which is the Japanese art of appreciating incense. This is one of the three traditional things (三道) for a refined young woman to learn, in addition to the Tea ceremony (茶道) and Flower arranging (華道). So Saori and Hana decide to study Koudou as well. From looking at Miho's form, it is very clear that she used a common blue ball point pen. Then we see Saori filling in her form using an ordinary pencil. However, after that Hana used a very special kind of ink brush that is exclusively used in traditional writing (書道). I guess that nobody would use a calligraphy brush in such an everyday situation. This brush is made from a wooden tube with white animal fur coming out one end. Also, using such a brush requires a special kind of inkwell. It is on the desk next to Hana's right hand. Clearly they are trying to show us that Hana is very special. The Japanese Wikipedia entry for GaruPan says that she is a "Yamato nadeshiko" (大和撫子), literally, "a flower of Japan" and approximately meaning "a very well brought up, refined and cultured lady." You have to watch the scene frame by frame to see the special brush that Hana is using, but they show it clearly. The attention to detail in GaruPan is remarkable.

Tea Ceremony information: (English) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_tea_ceremony
Bilingual Flower Arranging glossary: http://kitashirakawaclub.jp/glossary.html
Art of Incense Appreciation: (English) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dd%C5%8D
okanaganNov 2, 2012 3:58 AM
Nov 1, 2012 8:31 PM

Sep 2012
^ I wrote down all the studies that the girls can choose:

書道
華道
香道
茶道
弓道
長刀道
合気道
仙道
忍道

As okanagan explained the top is calligraphy and then the next 3 are the three traditional studies (flower, incense, and tea). After that it is sports / martial art - 弓道 archery and 長刀道 naginata (which I think inspired the senshado in this anime) are popular with women, and 合気道 aikido is a proper martial art itself. I chuckled at the final two as it really shows the humor of the anime staff: 仙道 is like a folk belief that a mix of occult meditation and alchemy can make an immortal out of ordinary human; 忍道 is literally study of becoming a ninja ;-)
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 1, 2012 9:07 PM

Jul 2011
I know some german and it's actually funny with the commie subs. German is not so far from english to be like "what does that mean?"

This show reminds me of the upotte for some reason. High/mid school girls involved in some weird has military thing. I do like the premise though and I think the tanks themselves are pretty kawaii, filled with kawaii girls.

Also, girl with one eyeglass/eyepatch/whatever thing, Japan needs to get off of it. It's ridiculous outside of certain genres.
TheLocalHentaiNov 1, 2012 9:27 PM
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Nov 2, 2012 12:53 AM

Oct 2012
Reading Japanese is easy!

Hi Symbv! Thank you for your post #158.

In Episode 1, at 14:56, here is the list that they project onto the big screen in the gym:

必須選択科目 Compulsory Electives 表修屆 Table
戰車道 panzerfahren (i.e. tanks)
茶道 tea 書道 writing 合気道 aikido
華道 flowers 弓道 archery 仙道 magic
香道 incense 長刀道 sword 忍道 ninja

It is very helpful that symbv typed in this list of the compulsory electives for everybody else on myanimelist.net to use. You don't have to know any Japanese in order to be able to use this. It is easy. You just cut and paste the characters using the mouse. Then you can:

(1) Do a Google search:
- Add "wiki". Then choose the English wikipedia page from the menu on the lower left.
- Add "translate". Then look for any other webpage that includes some English words.
- Don't add anything else. 99% of the pages that Google returns will be 100% in Japanese. But you might get lucky.
(2) Search using images.google.com
(3) Use translate.google.com which can translate any Japanese text into English text.
(4) Search on YouTube.
(5) Email the words to your friend who can read Japanese and ask for help.
(6) Post the words on myanimelist.net
(7) Paste into Microsoft Word and print it out on paper using a large font!
(8) For city names, use maps.google.co.jp to find where it is on the map. Also try maps.google.com
(9) Write it yourself using a brush.
(10) Tattoo

Because of these ten above options, I will be delighted if some friends can type in more info on GaruPan in Japanese. Then the rest of us can improve our understanding.

Once last thing: All GaruPan fans should be sure to go to Ooarai (大洗) on Saturday, November 17, 2012 and Sunday, November 18, 2012 to attend their Dance Festival (大洗舞祭) and Ankou Festival (大洗あんこう祭).
This information webpage is all in Japanese:
http://www.town.oarai.lg.jp/~kankouka/asobu/info_g_6_795.html
okanaganNov 2, 2012 1:08 AM
Nov 2, 2012 1:04 AM

Sep 2012
^ Thanks for your kind words, okanagan.
Apparently Anko Dance is not part of the Festival, but then it may be tricky to see that dance performed in real life ;-D

I can help with anything about Japanese language shown in this anime. Just let me know and I will try my best to help.

I remember I keep saying Naginata is a martial-art sports that used to be a way to kill historically but evolved to become a tournament sports, practiced largely by female. I have found videos that portray how it is like for a match of Naginata. Here you can see that there are "schools" that study skills, maneuvers and tactics regarding this sports. In this video the School is called Jikishinkage-ryu:

And then there is this school named Chokugen-ryu. The video is for Onaginata, a longer version of the usual Naginata (O- here means "big")

What the use of naginata was like in historical time can be found here:

The promotional video can easily be replaced by mentions of Naginata instead of Tanks and it will work (albeit in an exaggerated manner) in real life (of course the video footage needs to be changed too).
symbvNov 2, 2012 1:23 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 1:26 AM

Oct 2012
Symbv Post #161: Apparently Anko Dance is not part of the Festival, but then it may be tricky to see that dance performed in real life

It looks like it is an open dance festival. It is on Saturday, November 17, 2012 from 9 am to 4 pm. I guess that any group of dancers is eligible to participate in the festival and perform on stage. There are still three weeks to go. It should be easy for some people to prepare the Ankou costumes, the music and the dance moves.

Maybe email the organizers ASAP (writing in very polite Japanese) and at least see what their entry deadline is. kankou@town.oarai.lg.jp Please post any information that you get back from them.
okanaganNov 2, 2012 1:31 AM
Nov 2, 2012 5:30 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
Symbv Post #161: Apparently Anko Dance is not part of the Festival, but then it may be tricky to see that dance performed in real life

It looks like it is an open dance festival. It is on Saturday, November 17, 2012 from 9 am to 4 pm.

Just find that Miho's team (actually the 5 seiyuu) will appear in the coming Anko Festival in Ooarai !! http://girls-und-panzer.jp/carnival.html
It will be Nov 18 (Sun) in the grassland next to the Marine Tower (which I think is the tower we saw the tanks passed by before they entered the town proper).

Now I wonder if Anko Dance may indeed be performed ;-) :-p

【カーニバル日時】 2012年11月18日(日)
【場所】 大洗マリンタワー前芝生広場
【出演】
西住みほ役:渕上舞、武部沙織役:茅野愛衣、五十鈴華役:尾崎真実、
秋山優花里役:中上育実、冷泉麻子役:井口裕香

Nov 3, 2012 6:53 AM

Oct 2012
Two festivals in Ooarai related to Garupan

I realize that not all GaruPan fans (and critics) are able to be in Japan in two weeks. However, the following seems interesting. My comprehension of Japanese is not so great, so bear with me.

The key point is that there are TWO different festivals:

The Dance Festival:
Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Ooarai City, Ibaraki, Japan
The event takes place right next to that huge tall tower which is called The Marine Tower (マリンタワー). Apparently this is an annual children's dance contest where various groups come to perform. Possibly there is nothing at all related to GaruPan. However, I still feel optimistic that some GaruPan fans will show up in costume and perform the Ankou dance! If so, please record it, post to YouTube and let us all know!

The Fish Festival:
Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:30 am to 3:00 pm, Ooarai City, Ibaraki, Japan
The event takes place right next to that huge tall tower which is called The Marine Tower (マリンタワー). The five GaruPan voice actresses will be there. However, I don't know the time of their appearances. They will introduce themselves and there will be two different Q & A sessions. The first is outdoors. The second session is after the festival ends at 3:00 pm. It will be indoors at the nearby Ooarai Resort Outlet (大洗リゾートアウトレット). Please any GaruPan fans who attend: Record the events, post to YouTube and then post the link for us here.

How to get there on JapanRail:
上野駅~(常磐線)~JR水戸駅
水戸駅~(鹿島臨海鉄道)~大洗駅
On Sunday, from the Ooarai train station there will be a special shuttle bus to the event site.

The raw data (all in Japanese) is here at these two links:
A: http://girls-und-panzer.jp/carnival.html
B: http://www.town.oarai.lg.jp/~kankouka/asobu/info_g_6_795.html

Many thanks to Symbv for Post #163
okanaganNov 3, 2012 7:16 AM
Nov 5, 2012 4:47 PM
Oct 2010
Can anyone tell me the music played at the beginning of the episode other than the opening it was the fanfare please provide the name. Im dying
Nov 7, 2012 9:30 AM

Dec 2011
So I wasn't going to watch this. I have absolutely zero interest in tanks. The only thoughts I've ever had about them in my entire life have been negative ones. So it was pretty much a no-brainer that this series was one to be left well alone, right?

But then I kept hearing people talking about this series. Saying good things about it. Comparing it to Saki, which is a series that I love.
So here I am, giving it a shot. So far I don't have a clue what to make of it. So I guess it needs more time to get going. Although I still very much doubt that I will make it through to the finish, who knows? Stranger things have happened.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 7, 2012 8:52 PM

May 2012
Commie's half-English half-German subs taught me a bit of German; however, I had to listen to the Japanese audio intensely every time I noticed a German word coming up.
Nov 8, 2012 12:06 AM

Aug 2011
Who ever heard of a man driving a Panzer?

This was just so dumb, that i couldnt stop laughing! i love when an anime knows when not to take itself seriously! this was pure win!!!! def has me hooked! Thank god its not crap like Shitsekai Yaoi

I like girls and i like tanks...., if you are like me, then you know this anime is pure awesomesauce!
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Dec 14, 2012 1:20 AM

Jun 2009
Not bad, I guess. Miho has some pretty cool friends here. They really stuck with her through this, I particularly liked how they cheered her up in the cafe. The tank stuff seems pretty interesting and original. Will keep watching.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 7, 2013 5:52 AM
Aug 2011
Giving this thing another chance, but this episode still pissed the hell out of me even after hearing out good it turns out. Must persevere!
Jan 13, 2013 9:38 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
...duh guess lets watch...

that end...... i was like "REALLY??? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????, Whole freaking city is on a SHIP!!????????????"
Mar 17, 2013 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
Surprisingly I enjoyed it.
The girls had large foreheads.
The CG was cool.
And it's sweet/cute
Mar 17, 2013 11:49 PM

Nov 2012
RediceRyan said:

The girls had large foreheads.

Oh god, my sides.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Mar 25, 2013 3:14 AM

Feb 2012
Huh pretty interesting premise.
Mar 28, 2013 11:04 AM

Apr 2012
Oh god, this intro with the little music, the colored tanks, and the moe: so cheesy I almost overdosed.

So the show has some good things going for it, and some bad things. Guess I won't know which outweighs which until the end.
EratiKApr 14, 2013 2:44 PM
Mar 28, 2013 11:25 AM

Nov 2009
To people who just starting watching.

This show has a long "introduction" part. The real thing that made people love it will start from ep.4 onward. So, give it a chance.

About color tanks, those are joke.They will chance them back to their normal color later.
Apr 3, 2013 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting start. Pleasantly surprised.

Marina2 said:
To people who just starting watching.

This show has a long "introduction" part. The real thing that made people love it will start from ep.4 onward. So, give it a chance.

About color tanks, those are joke.They will chance them back to their normal color later.

Thanks!
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 14, 2013 2:32 PM

Sep 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Not bad, I guess. Miho has some pretty cool friends here. They really stuck with her through this, I particularly liked how they cheered her up in the cafe. The tank stuff seems pretty interesting and original. Will keep watching.

dam Miho is to soft, she agreed to easy!!! & student council, do they not know about her trauma from bad experiences? if they do then they are even worse bitches then i thought, its bad cause think, army guy comes home from battle he has trauma as well, when he has a gun with him for example he mite get a reflex from sudden movements or from hearing something what is similar to explosion or gun fire & shot some1 & that's why hes not allowed to carry gun, that kind of a trauma's have negative effect on a person, butting Miho in Tank War Game is a mistake, she mite get hes team killed!!! it still fast moving Tank & anything can happen, in real world no1 wold but person with trauma like that in that situation, & second no1 wold but kids in a War Game with Tanks but that i wont count cause i'm talking about person who has trauma, i just mentioned that cause u mite bring it up :D

if i would have been her i would have just said i quit this school & go somewhere else if u abuse ur power that way!!!
Sugram22Dec 18, 2017 4:27 AM
Apr 17, 2013 5:53 PM

May 2012
gosh, I thought I was the only one who noticed that there were german subs in the episode too ;-;

This ep was meh. It was cool to see how they drove the tank in the beginning. made it look like you were in an actual video game with tanks
May 27, 2013 10:32 AM

May 2012
Quite decent start of the series, I like how the setting is really natural although I didn't expect that ending that the whole place is on a battleship! Quite cool concept I'd say and just having cute girls ride tanks well that just has too be good! Lets see what the story has to offer us!
May 27, 2013 11:31 PM

May 2009
Its a alright anime .
Jun 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Apr 2011
is the tank suppose to symbolize a giant dick or something ?
Jun 14, 2013 8:50 AM

May 2013
Normally, I'd say the tanks are phallic but in this case I guess not.
Jun 21, 2013 1:14 AM

Jun 2009
"This is tyranny beyond Hitler" oh my god, I actually had to pause the episode because I was laughing so hard. Yeah, those subs suck...
Jun 25, 2013 1:22 PM

Jun 2009
I really like this show. The ending was a twist though.
Jul 9, 2013 2:21 AM

Mar 2011
Usually I'm not getting into these more recent anime series which seem to be targeted at the Internet generation respectively as previews were implying (at least to me) that many of them are just about juvenile psychopaths, mass murder, (de-)generation X and doomsday mood...

But this little 'piece of trash' just surprised me, and I mean that in a positive way; enthusiastic little Genki Girls lechering and lusting for WOMD's from one of the darkest chapters in World History? For me as an Ecchi Lover and Military Otaku this is almost Heaven :-D

If the series manages to keep up its pace, it may earn itself the honour of tagging along the very few which got a perfect score from me.

HapposamaJul 9, 2013 3:33 AM
Jul 9, 2013 3:37 AM

Jul 2013
First impressions so far: Seriously what do guys do while the girls are out there operating tanks? Luftwaffe?; That is one huge aircraft carrier to have not only a city but even have a few man-made hills and was that a lake I see? Also, why tanks only from WWII? Why not modern tanks like the M1A1. Challenger 2's or Merkavas? During the tournament is it only tanks or is there also infantry, artillery, mines, etc?
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jul 16, 2013 5:14 AM

Jul 2013
Watched the first episode and immediately dropped for now.

Reason to that was that it felts just fucking stupid that these two girls that have known this one girl like 1 day make "life changing decisions" based on her feelings.

Seriously, what the fuck. If these girls had known since childhood their action's would make sense but that's not the case. If you ask me those two girls actually seem like some kind of creep's for latching so hard on the poor girl.

And another thing is that they even felt kind of dickish after the promotional video show. They knew that she had some issues relating to the whole panzer thing yet they gloat how cool and awesome it would be part of that group.

Fucking bitches.
Jul 16, 2013 6:43 AM

May 2012
Well, if things didn't happen the way the episode had gone, it will just drag this story to the ground.

Besides, Hana and Saori had their own reasons for wanting to join the sensha-do program. Hana wanted to do something outside of flower arranging and Saori wanted to be popular with boys(depends if you think it's good reason or not). In the end, when Miho still didn't want join, they supported her decision and join her in the elective she want and later they defended her to the student council.
Jul 16, 2013 8:53 PM

Oct 2012
I think it is fair to criticize Girls und Panzer for not telling the story very well. It
is very, very compressed. So few details are presented that we have to guess
what is going on. If you want to see the story presented then you will quickly
become unhappy. Later, if you are very patient, finally it will make a bit more
sense. Even so, I think that a lot of us are desperately hoping for more to be
explained in the upcoming OVA and also the feature film.

There is a delicate balance to be achieved between clearly telling the story and
accomplishing other things such as depicting thriling battle scenes. The single
person most responsible for this is the director, Tsutomu Mizushima. Personally,
I feel that he did a fantastic job. There is a very long list of excellent anime that
he has worked on, and I will just list a few that caught my eye:

Strike Witches
Genshiken
Squid Girl
Blood-C
Crayon Shin-chan
Kujibiki Unbalance
Another
Joshiraku
Ichigo 100%

Original information source (Wikipedia in Japanese):
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B0%B4%E5%B3%B6%E5%8A%AA
Oct 19, 2013 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
I don't like the student council for forcing her into signing up for Sensha/Panzerfahren
Nov 25, 2013 1:43 AM
Feb 2012
Wow the first episode has such horrible messaging. Girl has a traumatic experience yet everyone tries to bully and peer pressure her into joining including her so called "friends".

And whats the morale in the end ? "give up and do what others tell you".
Dec 3, 2013 1:45 AM

Jun 2012
OK, I'm one episode in and I'm already considering dropping this. Everything I gathered from this episode leads me to believe:

> This story takes place in a world where gender roles have been swapped. Tanks are driven by women and men just look on and give moral support.

> The main character is your archetypal shy, dim-witted, and cowardly heroine.
- She's weak and is very easily influenced by others. She suddenly decides to drive tanks, after having explained in detail about how much she doesn't want to drive tanks. She was so paranoid about the whole thing that she was completely spaced out and had to go to the infirmary to sort things out, and then suddenly she flips her entire attitude about it completely upside down simply because her new "friends" that she's only known for less than half of a day decided to do it.

> The supporting cast is one-dimensional and their only purpose in this anime is to cover up all of the flaws that the main character has.
- Saori and Mako both spontaneously befriend Miho and appear to establish trust immediately without any prior interactions.

> This anime is using "moe" (Is that right? It's the first time I've ever used that term) to help sell itself, as evident by the cutesy character designs and the all-girl high school setting.

> This anime takes place in a high school (because that's totally original and not just a lazy way of adding structure to the setting with minimal effort required on the part of the author), and apparently this high school is run by a short 14-ish year old girl and her two goons. No adult authority figures are anywhere to be found. The school is run by children. That's immediately a giant turn-off for me, and it tells me that either the author of this story doesn't intend for their work to be taken seriously, or they lack enough creative talent to make a story that isn't exclusively about 15 - 16 year old school girls.

> CGI is bad, and it should feel bad.

> Legitimately interesting stories that don't need prepubescent school girls to get people interested are a thing of the past.
LarasoDec 3, 2013 1:50 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Dec 3, 2013 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
Laraso said:
Good to see you're enjoying yourself.
Dec 3, 2013 2:01 AM

May 2012
I really wish people wouldn't judge this anime based on the first episode alone. This is a series and not a movie. It needs to establish first before it gets going. If after watching the whole series and you still don't like it, that's fine.
zenjamibuDec 3, 2013 2:32 AM
Dec 3, 2013 8:57 AM

Jun 2012
zenjamibu said:
I really wish people wouldn't judge this anime based on the first episode alone. This is a series and not a movie. It needs to establish first before it gets going. If after watching the whole series and you still don't like it, that's fine.

First impressions are important.
Dec 3, 2013 8:29 PM

Sep 2013
@1LOcan0: That's the rules, lolz! Pre-1946 tanks for High-School girls. No, there's really no logic or reason behind it. Does there need to be?
It's a sport for girls, that's supposed to be funny, and it IS! lolz! idk what the boys do in this "universe". It's never discussed.

@EZSpecial: They were mean! But there's a good reason why...

@Laraso: I'll try to answer your points without 'spoilers' ok?
> Gender roles are not reversed: it's a "Girls Sport" on an all-girls school-ship.
>Yes the MC is flawed, she does improve though! That's a KEY POINT in why the series is terrific: characters that learn and grow! Not "static" eh?
>She loves "PanzerKraft" and she's really good at it! But had to leave home because of it... it all gets explained!
>Yes, it's VERY "moe" but there's very little "fan service" and no "pantsu" at all! Refreshing! I heartily approve of that!
>High Schools Run By The Students = a common anime theme. It's explained during the series, or in the extras later.
>The girls are NOT pre-puberty! LOLZ!

It's a fantastic series! Sure there's "flaws" and I've ranted about them at length on other forums. Long, detailed rants, trust me ;-) BUT I just LOVE the show! It's DIFFERENT and in that good way, eh? Parts of it are pure genius.
I cannot wait for season 2... and 3...
Dec 3, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2012
5Cats said:
> Gender roles are not reversed: it's a "Girls Sport" on an all-girls school-ship.

I understand that, however this first episode gave me the impression that in the context of this show women are attracted to activities usually associated with men (i.e. driving tanks), and at one point I recall someone saying "Men driving tanks? That's unheard of." or something of the sort. I assumed that this trend would also carry over to other things as well, however that was just an assumption and I might very well be wrong.

5Cats said:
>Yes the MC is flawed, she does improve though! That's a KEY POINT in why the series is terrific: characters that learn and grow! Not "static" eh?

That's good to hear. I was afraid she would stay the way she is throughout the entire duration of the anime, but if she really does improve upon herself then I suppose it's not all too bad.

5Cats said:
>She loves "PanzerKraft" and she's really good at it! But had to leave home because of it... it all gets explained!

Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention to details, but I was under the impression that she was afraid of Panzerkraft.

5Cats said:
>Yes, it's VERY "moe" but there's very little "fan service" and no "pantsu" at all! Refreshing! I heartily approve of that!

Agreed.

5Cats said:
>High Schools Run By The Students = a common anime theme. It's explained during the series, or in the extras later.

Yes, I know it's a common theme, which is specifically why I don't like it. It seems like a good 50% of anime takes place in some sort of high school setting, and seeing numerous different schools all run by its own students gets old after a while. This is less of a criticism about the anime itself and more of a personal complaint.

5Cats said:
>The girls are NOT pre-puberty! LOLZ!

Well, whatever. I don't usually watch anime with a full cast of "moe" characters. The only one I can recall watching was K-On, which I really didn't like, so when I see this type of character design it makes me think they are younger than they really are.

5Cats said:
It's a fantastic series! Sure there's "flaws" and I've ranted about them at length on other forums. Long, detailed rants, trust me ;-) BUT I just LOVE the show! It's DIFFERENT and in that good way, eh? Parts of it are pure genius.
I cannot wait for season 2... and 3...

So I've been told. Normally I don't pick up anime like this, but it kept showing up in recommendations so I finally decided to check it out. I'll watch another episode or two and decide if this is something I want to finish.
Dec 3, 2013 8:56 PM

Mar 2008
@Laraso
Well if you don't: a) enjoy 'moe'-antics. or B) want to see an anime of WW2 era tanks pounding at each other (sans some realism), then you probably won't find GuP worth your time. It's weak on story, but strong on 'fun' - but of course, tastes vary.
Dec 3, 2013 9:09 PM

Jun 2012
Ckan said:
@Laraso
Well if you don't: a) enjoy 'moe'-antics. or B) want to see an anime of WW2 era tanks pounding at each other (sans some realism), then you probably won't find GuP worth your time. It's weak on story, but strong on 'fun' - but of course, tastes vary.

I don't particularly dislike "moe", I'm just unfamiliar with it and as a result the character design seem unusual to me. I love tanks though, and it's part of the reason why I started watching this.

I prefer deep, enthralling stories (e.g. Shinsekai Yori / Monster), however it's nice to watch something a bit lighter every now and then.
Dec 4, 2013 11:13 AM

Sep 2013
@Laraso: If you like tanks you'll probably love G&P! Even though it's far from "realistic" it looks fantastic! And there's LOTS of different kinds of tanks to see, eventually.

The Gender reversal idea is complicated.
Short version: There's traditional pastimes for 'proper' Japanese girls: Tea Ceremony, Archery, PanzerKraft, Flower Arrangement... see? It's funny!

Longer answer: After WW1? It was thought that if boys were discouraged from driving tanks? It might prevent another war. So "Tankwando" for girls was established! It didn't work out, WW2 happened anyhow, but the tradition of "girls driving tanks in competitions" carried on! Very popular too.

Shinsekai Yori was brilliant! I actually think G&P is just as good. Except much funnier and not as "scary". There's lots of "plot" in G&P but it's pretty subtle. It's mostly about the characters... and the Panzers of course!
Dec 7, 2013 6:30 PM

Jan 2012
another little girl + heavy machinery themed feminist-driven anime...

another anime i have to endure 3 EP before dropping... sih
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2012

191 by yakisobaman »»
Jan 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Dec 10, 2012

320 by giannis85 »»
Jan 4, 10:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.