Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2011

The visuals in this were gorgeous, there were some other nice shots but I only saved 3.
[center]
Jul 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Oct 2008
It's here!
Now to wait for the actual thing to arrive in the mail.

We can clearly see where they put some of those millions of dollars this anime has generated back into!
Jul 22, 2013 4:06 PM

Mar 2012
RLinksoul said:

If there's one praise I can give the movies over the TV show, it's the voice acting. The voice acting feels more convincing and emotional. For example, the scene where Kyubey is calling out to Madoka at what would be the tail end of the first episode. His voice sounds much more like someone who's injured and desperate.

For a show where crying happens at least twice an episode, it was pretty off putting how cutesy and phony the crying sounded in the TV series, so I was pleasantly surprised with this movie putting more feeling into it, instead of just sounding like a generic moe anime.

I don't know whether to praise or criticise the music in this one. While mundane scenes that could do without the repetitions of Sis Puella Magia were given new life, scenes that already had good music, particularly action scenes, were made less enjoyable by the decision to change them. Particularly Kyouko and Sayaka's fight. And what was with that childish chanting during the Charlotte scene? And the calming classical music as Madoka is ripped apart and pulled into the witch barrier.

Interesting post, I somewhat agree with you about what you said about the improved voice acting. On the other hand, I must say I actually am quite impressed with the classical music used in some particular scenes. Then again, that's just me since i'm a huge sucker for classical music. But, Pherhaps what I like most in this film are the improved visuals. I like how they gave the buildings and various other backgrounds alot more detail unlike in the TV series. Not that I detest it, but the improvements to them work well. Also, I know i'm very late for responding in the discussion thread, but whatevs.

In the end, I cannot say too much other than the fact that I enjoyed this film.
SilkDegreesJul 22, 2013 4:25 PM
Jul 22, 2013 5:33 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, I've been waiting for this film for quite awhile..And damn this was a refreshment. Some thoughts:

- Great production visuals
- First 7 minutes - Homura spotted. Oh snap, *fan boy time*
- Kyuubey spotteeeeeeeeeeed. Oh boy. Fuck, I miss that little face of his and that voice
- DAT OST
- I loved Mami's battle scenes though as they were a good refreshment. The OST used during her action footages were brilliant but ya...if you remember from the tv series, she meets her fate early on.
- Hormura remains badass as ever
- The fantasy world brings out that sense of surrealism to me once again
- Kyouko Sakura <33333
- Sakaya ;____;
- I am quite glad that Kyouko gets more screen time than I had thought. She is my 2nd favorite from the series and nice to see her personality as well her history explained a little.
- The "death" scene of Sayaka gave me some emotions...
- Fucking Hitomi...

Great movie overall, 8/10.

◕ ‿‿ ◕◕ ‿‿ ◕◕ ‿‿ ◕
Jul 22, 2013 6:13 PM

Oct 2008
O christ... the soundtrack was all over the place.
I need time to recover from this tragic blow.
Jul 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
If the subs were recently made then why did this have high ratings ?
Jul 22, 2013 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:

Probably because some people already have seen this in the theaters.

Or they watched camrips.
Jul 22, 2013 8:59 PM

Mar 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:

was released in theaters for a limited time with subs, and alot of people watched it through that , and also cam rips lol.
Jul 22, 2013 10:56 PM
Oct 2010
Omniknight said:
O christ... the soundtrack was all over the place.
I need time to recover from this tragic blow.

Seriously, it's the reason I gave it a 9.. and even thinking of an 8. It was mostly in the battle scenes.. the OST so didn't fit compared to the original.
Jul 23, 2013 1:05 AM

Oct 2009
OST -_- was a bit disappointing...

but over all good wrap
8/10
Jul 23, 2013 2:22 AM

May 2009
The DVD already out? Wasnt it supposed to be released tomorrow? And how come only one sub group for Madoka?
Jul 23, 2013 4:24 AM

Oct 2008
Crochax said:
The DVD already out? Wasnt it supposed to be released tomorrow? And how come only one sub group for Madoka?

Hopefully, it was a random group who managed to get it early and inserted their own soundtrack for lolz.
It's probably like the 20th time watching the TV anime and it still evokes strong emotions from me. The movie, I just got a lot of, "why are they using this soundtrack?" or "why is there no soundtrack?" or "why is this soundtrack distracting?"

The pacing was really off, but I don't think they could have done much to avoid this. I can get over this aspect of it since this anime doesn't really lend well towards a one-sitting viewing.

I can't forgive this travesty that has occurred on the soundtrack side... Did Yuki Kajiura actually compose these new pieces?
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 4:30 AM
Jul 23, 2013 7:25 AM
Oct 2010
^Soundtrack is alrite for the second movie, but the in some extended scenes it still isn't as perfect like the series. I hope the last movie makes up for it :). The best thing about the movies are the extended fights + homura's transform.
Jul 23, 2013 11:50 AM

Jun 2012
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.
Jul 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Oct 2008
skudoops said:
^Soundtrack is alrite for the second movie, but the in some extended scenes it still isn't as perfect like the series. I hope the last movie makes up for it :). The best thing about the movies are the extended fights + homura's transform.

I'm still undergoing therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

I hope you're right. Makes me nervous about Rebellion now though.

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Quality post, hopefully we'll get more...
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 5:15 PM
Jul 23, 2013 4:22 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:
skudoops said:

I'm still undergoing PTSD therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Telling someone to die is definitely a quality post.

And please don't joke about having to go through PTSD therapy like you did earlier because that's not something to fucking joke about.
Jul 23, 2013 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
ihateeveryone said:
Omniknight said:
skudoops said:

I'm still undergoing therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Telling someone to die is definitely a quality post.

And please don't joke about having to go through PTSD therapy like you did earlier because that's not something to fucking joke about.

Take a deep breath and calm down. I'm not intentionally making light of PTSD. And I edited my post.

tsudecimo said:
Madoka fandom, nice.

Would you like to enlighten us like you did in our Watamote talk?
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 6:35 PM
Jul 23, 2013 5:17 PM

Dec 2012
Madoka fandom, nice.
Jul 23, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:

Take a deep breath and calm down. I'm not intentionally making light of PTSD. And I edited my post.

Oh I am calm, I just don't appreciate people making jokes out of serious mental issues is all.
Jul 23, 2013 8:49 PM

Oct 2008
ihateeveryone said:
Omniknight said:

Oh I am calm, I just don't appreciate people making jokes out of serious mental issues is all.

I apologized, wasn't intentional and edited my post. Can we get back to the movie discussion please?

Just watched the 2nd movie and that pacing and soundtrack issues mostly disappeared. Expanding on 4 episodes works a lot better than contracting and cutting 8 episodes.
Jul 24, 2013 2:45 AM

Jan 2010
That was amazing. I was having goosebumps the whole movie! And more fangirling for Kyo-chan <3
Jul 25, 2013 8:31 AM

Sep 2011
Madoka Magica is still great as ever, though I liked the series more overall.

Like people already said, I was very disappointed that a lot of the background music (for example during the fight of Kyouko and Sayaka) was changed. It's not that the songs were bad, but it didn't fit the mood as perfectly as it did in the series. I like classical music, but they really didn't need to use it for every scene.
The original version of the ED (Magia) was also better than the new one.

The art without a doubt was amazingly gorgeous, but that's pretty much the only thing that got better here than the series. I really liked the improvement over some scenes.

I'm also kind of mad that they cut out Mami's backstory and wish. I have no idea why they did that. It's not like it was that long, and cutting out a few enviroment scenes would have even gave time for it if that was the problem. I think it was a pretty emotional and sad moment which was very good for the show...
They also cut out Madoka's dream from the beginning. That was also pointless, it gave a pretty good mysterious and intriguing feel to the show right at the beginning.

So yeah, like I said, I think the series was better overall, and it's not like the show is that much longer so I'm still gonna recommend it over the movie to people. I'm going to give this an 8/10 (the show was a 9).
I'm still very interested in what will be the new scenes in the 2nd movie, seeing that it's going to be only 4 episodes and almost as long as this. I guess probably more Homura vs Walpurgisnacht or more scenes between Madoka and Homura. And I also wonder whether the ending will be changed somewhat or not, since the upcoming 3rd movie is going to be a sequel.

Also, I noticed that Poorfag-chan finally got herself a laptop somehow, great :D (If you don't know what I'm talking about just look her up.)
RazielZeroJul 25, 2013 8:57 AM
Jul 25, 2013 8:59 AM
Sep 2011
RazielZero said:

They also cut out Madoka's dream from the beginning. That was also pointless, it gave a pretty good mysterious and intriguing feel to the show right at the beginning.

That's probably the one scene cut I would take issue with. It's clear to me that the people who made these movies don't believe anyone would be introduced to the franchise through said movies. Anyone watching this would likely have already seen the TV series... is what they must be thinking.

The opening scene from the TV series is probably the most important thing about the plot. Anyone not having seen the TV show might be baffled when Homura shows up in the classroom for the first time and Madoka talks about having had a dream about her.
Jul 26, 2013 4:30 AM

Aug 2010
Spending 2 hours watching such a great movie as this one is the perfect and best way to refresh old memories of 2011 TV series. Since then I kinda have had an urge to re-watch the whole thing, but at the same time I was deeply scared that re-watching Madoka would put me in a state of depression for 1-2 weeks (I am still struggling myself with the urge to rewatch Clannad After Story, but can't do that for the same reason). So I kinda waited for the movies in hope authors would add something to them.
Well, it didn't happen. However I really enjoyed this movie, even though the only thing that was altered significantly I could spot, was the graphics. It's stunning.
As for the plot - it was condensed really well in 2 hours movie. Was not too rushed.
Kinda glad they left ED mostly untouched. Love it, even though watching it rips my soul apart.
Jul 26, 2013 4:44 AM
Oct 2010
RLinksoul said:
RazielZero said:

That's probably the one scene cut I would take issue with. It's clear to me that the people who made these movies don't believe anyone would be introduced to the franchise through said movies. Anyone watching this would likely have already seen the TV series... is what they must be thinking.

The opening scene from the TV series is probably the most important thing about the plot. Anyone not having seen the TV show might be baffled when Homura shows up in the classroom for the first time and Madoka talks about having had a dream about her.

Yep, I knew something felt missing. I felt the production team made alot of mistakes with this movie, and chose to exclude some important things for no reason at all (Mami's Backstory, Madoka's Dream etc) and they rearranged the music (again for no reason at all).
Jul 27, 2013 12:28 PM

Mar 2011
Ahh I wanted to re-watch this, and these movies were the perfect excuse :3.

I have a question though. Sayaka thought a 'familiar' which Kyoto told her to leave until it ate more humans and became a witch. But aren't all witches magical girls. What exactly was that 'familiar'?
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Jul 27, 2013 6:56 PM

Apr 2011
Maybe anybody knows where I can find full and detailed screenshots comparison (with thousands of images) between Madoka Movies and TV-series (BDversion)?
Something like this:
http://puu.sh/3Nq6k.jpg
http://puu.sh/3Nq7X.jpg

Maybe some crazy fans from Japan already did it and I'm only one don't know anything about it (as always).

P.S. TY and sorry for my poor english.
Jul 29, 2013 1:45 PM

Mar 2012
TehWhiteTiger said:
Ahh I wanted to re-watch this, and these movies were the perfect excuse :3.

I have a question though. Sayaka thought a 'familiar' which Kyoto told her to leave until it ate more humans and became a witch. But aren't all witches magical girls. What exactly was that 'familiar'?

If a familiar eats enough people, it turns into the same witch that it is spawned from, i.e. If Gertruds familar Anthony killed enough people, it would turn into an another Gertrud . I don't think the show really explains the exact process, but its not really necessary so its 'Magic' suffices.

The film was great, though, I would still say the tv version is superior just because we are given more time and though I know its hard to condense so many episodes into a film some scenes felt missing the main ones being Madokas dream, Madoka and Homura Conversation in the cafe about working with Sayaka, Homura attempting to kill Sayaka to prevent more misery, Never learning Mami's wish, Mami not warning Sayka about wishing for someone else.
Jul 31, 2013 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
ElPysCongroo said:

The film was great, though, I would still say the tv version is superior just because we are given more time and though I know its hard to condense so many episodes into a film some scenes felt missing the main ones being Madokas dream, Madoka and Homura Conversation in the cafe about working with Sayaka, Homura attempting to kill Sayaka to prevent more misery, Never learning Mami's wish, Mami not warning Sayka about wishing for someone else.

Leaving out Madoka's dream lead to a slightly different way to tell the story. In fact Urobuchi wanted the series to begin like in the movie: A very cute and seemingly typical MS anime, that turns into the most brutal anime ever.
I also got the feeling that the dream sequence could spoil amazingly much about the plot, for example why are there just Madoka and Homura and not Sayaka/Kyoko/Mami? Leaving this dream out, wasn't bad in my opinion. It was possible to understand everything that happened without knowing the existence of that dream sequence. Being unhappy about leaving that out means, that you are already spoilered, but I am coming back later on this.

Leaving out Mami's wish, was also not bad in my opinion, because Mami did fulfill her job as being Madoka's/Sayaka's senior MS and dieing at the right time.

Leaving out Mami's warning was also ok, it was just another flag. If you didn't see the flag at the first time, why do you need to give another one?

But I am not happy about the whole Madoka/Homura relationship, to be precise either Gen etc. didn't understand that they now tell a different story than in the series or they just failed horribly to tell the same story without the not-remoing the dream scene.
The whole Madoka series worked so well, because it started with this dream sequence and everything started with tons of questions/mysteries which wanted to be answered. Things, which made this show so great and the reason why episode 10 is often referred to be best episode ever made of all animes out there, because then the whole cycle started in episode 1 now closes and opens the door for the final episodes.

The movie just centers around Madoka and not around Madoka and Homura. This was one huge mistake they did and I can only assume that they just didn't see it that way and didn't look for possibilities to tell the same story as in the series and without not-removing the dream sequence. Leaving scenes between Madoka and Homura out just adds to that mistake.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Jul 31, 2013 12:04 PM
Sep 2011
Kyube said:
In fact Urobuchi wanted the series to begin like in the movie: A very cute and seemingly typical MS anime, that turns into the most brutal anime ever.
I also got the feeling that the dream sequence could spoil amazingly much about the plot

I run into a problem with this a lot as part of the magical girl fandom. People say that the dream sequence foreshadowed the show's true nature, which is something I strongly disagree with.

I've seen enough magical girl shows to know that end of the world/darkest hour type things are pretty commonplace, usually at the very end of the show. The dream sequence did scream "Final Battle" to me, but it in no way suggested to me something like that a teenage girl, and one of the main cast at that, would get her head bitten off.

Now if the dream sequence had a bunch of dead bodies and blood all over the place, that would be a different story.
Jul 31, 2013 1:07 PM

Jun 2012
RLinksoul said:
Kyube said:
In fact Urobuchi wanted the series to begin like in the movie: A very cute and seemingly typical MS anime, that turns into the most brutal anime ever.
I also got the feeling that the dream sequence could spoil amazingly much about the plot

I run into a problem with this a lot as part of the magical girl fandom. People say that the dream sequence foreshadowed the show's true nature, which is something I strongly disagree with.

I've seen enough magical girl shows to know that end of the world/darkest hour type things are pretty commonplace, usually at the very end of the show. The dream sequence did scream "Final Battle" to me, but it in no way suggested to me something like that a teenage girl, and one of the main cast at that, would get her head bitten off.

Now if the dream sequence had a bunch of dead bodies and blood all over the place, that would be a different story.

We first need a good definition of the true nature of the show.
I would go with something like this:
1. Actually the MS world is sometimes very bizarre, but always very dark, twisted. There are secrets behind the MS system.
2. A hidden connection between Madoka and Homura. Homura fights for Madoka's sake.
3. Everything leads to a showdown between Homura and Madoka vs WN.

And I find many hints in the dream sequence, that this is actually true.
I would also say, that: people are going to die is not the true nature of the show, but just an execution of the idea, the show was very dark.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Jul 31, 2013 1:40 PM

Nov 2010
What a long Movie, it was like 6-7 episodes worth
Coming back from the series, I only remember Homura was Divine and Kyubey pure Evil

As watching on scenes are recalled and the backgrounds are stunning similar to Index setting at night. The Russian witch area were very creative as well

The conversation between Madoka's mom were one of the most important to me
It was nice to see Homura trying to protect Madoka and Kyubey doing the opposite with the sleazy plan

Time to take a look at the 2nd movie
Aug 1, 2013 9:18 PM
Oct 2010
Kyube said:

Leaving out Mami's wish, was also not bad in my opinion, because Mami did fulfill her job as being Madoka's/Sayaka's senior MS and dieing at the right time.

Leaving out Mami's warning was also ok, it was just another flag. If you didn't see the flag at the first time, why do you need to give another one?

Leaving out Mami's scenes makes it harder to relate to the character and understand why she was so insistent that not only Madoka/Sayaka take their time with their wishes but also why she showed them what magical girls do and the consequences their work has on their personal lives.

It also helps in understanding Mami's reaction when Madoka said she would be a MG and be by her side and makes the death scene have more emotional impact because just when she finally got some hope in her life that happens.

Although not featured for long, Mami's actions and subsequent demise had a profound effect on Madoka, and the show in general. The flash back also portrays the sinster side kyuubey. In culmination with the other scenes, you notice Kyuubey tends to approach the girls at moments of extreme duress or emotional weakness.

- Mami (when she was going to die the first time)
- Sayaka (when her love was in a depression)
- Kyouko ( when her family was starving)
- Homura (when Madoka died)

The missing one is obviously Madoka she had such a good and happy life she was the most difficult one to convince but she was also approached several times, when she was trying to stop sakaya and kyouko from fighting and when she wanted to turn sakaya back human. Both times she almost became a magical girl before homura stepped in. Although many may not notice this, I felt that it took a little away since you couldn't see kyuubei's approach to each of them. From that you realize that most of them did not think through the wishes they made and made them on a whim by letting their emotions get the better of themselves.

Sorry for this long rant and it probably derailed from my original point somewhere and I'm probably placing over importance on the scene but to me it was something that 100% needed to be left in.
GD1551Aug 3, 2013 8:00 PM
Aug 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Apr 2009
"Miracles and magic do exist."

Indeed they do, that something one would normally consider a recap of much of the series... has managed to impress once again. Some scenes were understandably cut, but others were also expanded so I'm still happy.

Even though I already knew what would happen, every minute was still worth it for me. There were no reused animations and no reused audio lines that I know of. The visuals weren't exactly the same even if the scenes were. The lines by the seiyuu sound differently from what I remember in the TV series. The soundtrack had variations and variants that I have never heard of before. Even Mami's credens justitia and Sayaka's decretum had versions with vocals!

Clearly, more work was done to make this movie, and it is good work that has paid off once again. It's nothing like an attempt to milk the fanbase more by creating a mishmash of reused and unexciting stuff. Looking forward to watching this movie again, and of course to watching the second movie.

"I have no regrets."
Aug 4, 2013 2:23 PM

Aug 2009
I spot a lot of alternations of animation and backgrounds, everything looked more detailed. I didn't like the change of music in many scenes, they kinda felt out of place when you are used to the series. Witches got their own theme songs, different approach, but especially Charlotte was amusing; I heard "Ich möchte Käse" which is German for "I want cheese".

I think the series would be better to recommend for newcomers.
Aug 24, 2013 12:24 PM
Apr 2008
Wierd It's Been A While Since I Saw Madoka The Series. But I Don't Remember Madoka This Naive. And I Didn't Hate Her Then But Now. =.=
Sep 8, 2013 6:52 PM

Apr 2012
I thought watching the movie won't hurt me as bad as the tv series did...man, I was wrong

9/10, solid movie
Sep 12, 2013 2:14 AM
May 2010
HOLY S***. The recap is a far better watch this time. Entering the same story a third time, I thought I'd be utterly bored. This is so not the case.

I've gotta say, you gotta really revisit this story over and over again to really understand the themes present in it. I think that's why a recap of this story works so beautifully, simply because this story was created to be difficult to understand at first. Yes, it can be easy to judge the more obvious and blatant aspects and elements of the characters and the story at first glance, but then you'd be missing the point of the character motivations and the philosophical themes.

I think that's the biggest irony present in the story. What seems like a story full of shallow shock factors is essentially a psychological study on what it means to be hopeful in the harsh reality. What seems like a story about despair on the surface is essentially a story about hope.

The are three arcs to this story presented in a two-part movie, and those three arcs could be used to represent the process of growing up; child, teenager, and adult. To put in simple terms, three characters could also be used to metaphorized the process of growing up; Madoka, Sayaka, and Homura, in respective order. Homura is the cynical adult hammering the idea of maturity into the head of the innocent child, Madoka, and the rebellious (and confused) teenager, Sayaka. Instead of explaining things properly to the confused teenager, the adult hammers it violently using a very harsh and cold tone, leaving the teenager even more confused, thus taking the wrong path. While this might seem like a criticism against Homura's character and personality, Homura is actually a really nice person in my view, and that things are not as it seems on the surface; Homura's not actually a cynic, and Sayaka's not actually an idiot. Both of them are really just screwed over by the world and its system.

That's also why Sayaka's character is the deepest one of all. In most anime stories, we use teenagers as the main characters because of their complex struggle to do good. For me, something as one-sided as the innocence of childhood (Madoka) or the cynicism of adulthood (Homura) just isn't as fascinating or beautiful as the struggle to be good of teenagehood (Sayaka). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Madoka and Homura are one-sided at all; I'm referring to the metaphors they represent.

And speaking of Sayaka, if you take a closer look at Sayaka in the movie in this recap, you'd actually see that most of Sayaka's actions in the movie are actually quite sensible and intelligent, further emphasized by the lack of Mami's advice that she should take things more seriously before making her wish, thus making Sayaka look more idiotic as to requiring someone else's advice before making the sensible action. Here, that quote from Mami was taken away, and I really appreciate that, because Sayaka is not really a bad person, or a dumb one; she's just a misguided fool, and everything bad that could possibly drive a person nuts happen to our poor little mermaid.

The real bad guy here, spoilers, is Kyubey. Logic without emotion is apathy; logic with emotions is empathy. While Homura is a nice person who had tried to be empathetic in previous timelines, her current actions in this timeline are apathetic ones. Her actions are apathetic, not her person/personality. That's the biggest confusion Homura-haters don't get. Kyubey is full-blown apathy in the form of a cute little critter. And also the Devil in disguise.

That said, Sayaka's idealism and selflessness were not that inaccurate - before the twist happened. In fact, if anything, Sayaka is the best example of how a magical girl should be; bringing your magical ideas of love and hope and spread it to the world. Before she realized the twist, she had already been firmly rooted in such a belief, so to say that she might have been a hypocrite is unfair and untrue. The world changed around her; she didn't change. The rules of the game changed. The stakes changed. Superman was thrust into a world of darkness, influenced into becoming Harvey Dent. Although I gotta say, Sayaka's values are far more ambiguous than Harvey's duality.

God, there's just so much philosophical values in this story that I love so much. There's very high rewatchability for this story; the animations and the music have been changed from the original versions, for one thing. And for another thing, I think viewers could perceive something different from each viewing. As a recap movie, this just works so well.
Sep 14, 2013 1:38 PM

Nov 2012
Whoa, does anybody knows if the new OSTs are already out for sale?
And 10/10.
Oct 19, 2013 7:48 AM

Dec 2012
Jeez, even knowing what's going to happen it's still heart wrenching to watch. Great movie, did a fantastic job recapping the first segment of the series and picked the perfect place to stop for the 2nd movie. The foreshadowing from watching the series beforehand made this very sad and depressing to watch, even the cute and innocent parts, knowing they wouldn't last.

I teared up when Sayaka was going nuts on the witch, it was just so sad to see how much she deteriorated. Those guys on the train made me sick, I probably would have lost it too if I saw that those were the kinds of people I was helping protect.

Anyway, definitely earns a 9/10 from me easily.
Oct 25, 2013 7:46 AM

Jan 2011
7/10
Nov 14, 2013 8:03 PM

Aug 2012
God, this movie was absolutely disgusting compared to the original TV airing of the show. Several important scenes are completely omitted, the reworked visuals are busy and an annoyance; almost all of them look out of place and are inferior to the clean design of the original.

Where is the Dream at the beginning? Where is the scene where they learn they can communicate telepathically? Where is the scene where Homura tells Sayaka she is going to kill her? All of these scenes are important to the plot and flow of the show and are missed. I'm sure there are others I didn't notice being gone, it's been a while since I've watched the original.

The "improved" animation actually detracts from the show in most facets (new transformation sequences being unnecessarily long fanservice that adds nothing of value), and the remixed music totally destroys the atmosphere that was set up in the original. Sayaka's new theme is the one that sticks out most to me, being absolutely terrible compared to the original. Lots of scenes are slightly changed but the ones the stand out the most to me are the Sayaka scenes in black and white. The first one is completely unnecessary, as it looked better with just low saturation, but the second one on the train looks absolutely terrible. It's like they ran it through a vector filter once and didn't even bother to edit it to look nicer.

Oh, and not to mention the change on Sayaka's witch transformation scene; they absolutely ruined it. The music was crap, and of all the scenes to change the visuals in, they actually might it brighter? Black and white would have been better than that crap, though I prefer the original. Oh, and I don't know if it's just me, but the voice acting seemed worse, especially for that scene. I don't know if they're actually different but that's just the impression I got.

Overall, if this movie was the first and only version of Madoka, I'd probably give it a 7 or 8. Sadly, this isn't the first version of Madoka, there is already an original, definitive version. Compared to that, this movie is downright terrible. 4/10

I'll probably do a more in-depth, well researched review some other time, but I'm quite angry about this movie being a shitty cashin on a series that I love and respect. This kind of crap devalues Madoka as a work of art.
Nov 23, 2013 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
Darrrn, this was so awesome :D 10/10 definitely, so intense~
This is why I love this show so much, really glues me to the screen :P
Nov 28, 2013 2:45 AM

Jul 2012
For those saying the blond "mentor" had lost a critical "moment" for herself. I'd like to add she was just using them, that's why she may have got her good part cut. Fk the blnd is what they're sayin..prolly.......o Goddasm they stuck with violin bitchboy plot piece
kUshPandA_ENJOiNov 28, 2013 2:52 AM
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Jan 2, 2014 9:27 AM
Nov 2013
Watched this after having watched 0/12 of the TV series... wow! Not only did it make perfect sense, but it didn't even feel condensed in the least. Very well-paced and cohesive.

If anyone else out there is considering skipping the series and going straight for the first two movies (to save time perhaps; or maybe you're sick of episodic storytelling, like I was ^_^), go for it.
Jan 2, 2014 6:26 PM

Jun 2011
+ Improved visuals in few scenes.
+ Better Backgrounds.
+ Nice pace & Make sense. (wasn't rushed)
- Recap. (i hate recaps).
- Cuts.

i still prefer the anime series.. but good recap overall..
only recommend to the Fans.. and re-watchers..
for a recap 8/10..
Jan 5, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 2013
Have to say the movie was much better than the 4/10 I gave for the TV series, much better organized and easier to get into the story 8/10.
Feb 12, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2013
Remixes. Remixes everywhere. They probably added 3 different new variations of Sayaka's theme.

I really liked how they added full transformations of the magical girls. That was a nice classic touch.

Someone should make a compilation of all the visual differences from the TV series. Time to watch the second revamp.
Mar 30, 2014 12:42 AM

Jan 2014
It was good. Definitely inferior to the original series, but still good as its own movie.
Apr 23, 2014 7:59 PM

Jul 2008
This movie firmly replaced the Empire Strikes Back for me. The consolidated movie form allowed us to see the full tragic arc of Sayaka's story without break. It became almost grueling to watch, knowing what was going to happen. The ending really marks the lowest point you can possibly imagine for a human being. In a way, I feel most people will be able to relate to the themes of this movie.

From the very beginning of her journey she set out to become an agent of justice, never backing down or allowing evil to take root, no matter how trivial. Throughout the course of the movie, we play witness to her slow, agonizing, corruption: unable to help her. Nothing could stop her fate. Her pain was stretched over every minute--every second, and just when we prayed for it to end, it only became worse. Her tragic arc had finally come to an end, resulting in a complete 180 and a rejection of her lifelong philosophy. No longer a knight in shiny armor, she was reduced to an empty husk; a shadow of her former self: her ideals perverted, twisted into the very thing she sought to destroy.

This is Madoka Magica. This is the story Shakespeare wished he could've told.

Bravo
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Are the movies still watchable even for someone who never enjoyed the main series?

TheRailTracerMAL - May 11, 2019

4 by KaeraNyu »»
Feb 22, 2022 3:33 PM

» Are the movies the same as the TV series, are they worth watching?

smooki91 - Jul 25, 2013

8 by DinoPapiro »»
Aug 2, 2021 3:11 AM

» Can i watch without watching the main series

TiagoKobata - Sep 20, 2020

1 by JomyS »»
Sep 20, 2020 4:15 PM

» Movies or TV Show

nicoface - Jul 5, 2016

3 by anayeet »»
Dec 16, 2017 10:53 PM

» Dubs good?

krudtso - Oct 18, 2015

4 by spacebro »»
Nov 10, 2015 6:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.