Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 28, 2008 4:30 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

*Mod edit*
aeroNov 17, 2008 4:00 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 28, 2008 7:14 PM
Oct 2007
Looks like it is back on track generally, even has Kuon! And looks like they're keeping the flashbacks same as the manga, so it's probably going to follow the same events basically. But the music keeps surprising me, has a really good soundtrack.

And actually, she got shot in the timeline after the nuclear winter, they were just being pursued in WW2.

To clear up your confusion, they were basically testing to see if this was the real Kuro. Only he would know who actually took K.mitsu.

Oct 30, 2008 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
nice episode
finally we are understanding something
Oct 30, 2008 10:56 AM

Aug 2008
Kuon looks like he's gonna be a bit on the annoying side. And lol at Kuro being called a 'stranger.'
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 30, 2008 11:19 AM

Jun 2008
downloading subs, so far im loving this anime
Oct 30, 2008 1:40 PM

Mar 2008
the guy with the "machine gun arm" is pretty athletic even though he is so fat, lol great episode.
Oct 30, 2008 2:36 PM

Sep 2008
still confused, but o well still like it
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 30, 2008 4:45 PM

Mar 2008
Yes it's not yet making sense, but damn it's good !

MAL list updates
Oct 30, 2008 10:35 PM
Oct 2008
Started off a little confusing thank god they were able to clear it up later in the episode, its turning out great now he is going to join this secret organization to help defet the red general army and get to see his love again, the fight sequences continue to be amazing although i dont like the alter of color they use when he fights
Oct 31, 2008 1:08 AM

Sep 2007
The whole "non chronological storytelling" is neat and all, but it's been somewhat overdone. I liked it in Slaughterhouse Five; it's lost some of its charm by this point. I'm also worried that there won't be an adequate explanation for why Kuro trips through time like this.

Battles are fun as usual. Rave-mode is unique, if nothing else. It's nice that they haven't spent an episode explaining Kuro's abilities. I hate it when series do that. It's a freaking vampire, we get the picture. :-P
Oct 31, 2008 4:19 AM

Oct 2007
An explanation that doesn't make sense.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 1, 2008 9:20 PM
Dec 2007
A few things were cleared up, but it's still pretty trippy.
And the silver haired guy with the gun seems like an annoying character. Hope he isn't in the series much after this episode...
Nov 2, 2008 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
It's okay in its own right, but I re-read the Manga last night. The anime is deviating enough that I think I'm going to drop the series. ._.

As for the Chronological storytelling, the Manga does it too. :P
Nov 3, 2008 3:13 AM

May 2008
naikou said:
The whole "non chronological storytelling" is neat and all, but it's been somewhat overdone. I liked it in Slaughterhouse Five; it's lost some of its charm by this point.

Agreed. Thus far, I've enjoyed it, but it's headed towards over-kill.
Nov 3, 2008 4:06 AM

Apr 2008
Very good episode. I'm starting to undestand the timeline and what happened before what, so it's finally making sense.

Great animation, soundtrack and story thusfar! I'm really enjoying it ^^
Nov 4, 2008 10:59 AM

Oct 2007
I really like this show. Especially the storytelling and the confusion, the soundtrack, the atmosphere, the voices, and the constant change of scene. The fact that the manga is finished is also reassuring.

naikou said:
The whole "non chronological storytelling" is neat and all, but it's been somewhat overdone. I liked it in Slaughterhouse Five; it's lost some of its charm by this point.
I, for one, think chronological storytelling has been somewhat overdone. :)
Nov 4, 2008 3:57 PM

May 2008
RE: Chronology

I don't know how accurate this is (based on the manga, which I have not read), but my impression -- largely formed after viewing this episode -- is that disordered chronology is being used here to reflect the disordered sense of experience that Kuro has. He's been alive for so long that his mind is having trouble sorting out what is/was real, memory, or imagination. (This may be compounded with periodic blanking out due to unconsciousness or "death" resulting from severe mutilation, manglement, etc.) Hence, in this episode, we get the dialogue after his dream, questioning (at least for that scene) whether it was just a dream or if it was memory. There are a couple other cues, ranging from snatches of dialogue to his deportment when encountering things the audience might have assumed were new to him, through the past few episodes that could be interpreted in this way.
chicanerousNov 5, 2008 3:42 PM
Nov 4, 2008 8:02 PM

Jun 2007
wow this episode explained a lot. Thank god they had that flash back or else I'd still be lost in the dark XD.
Nov 4, 2008 9:36 PM

May 2008
omigawdz, they transported d.gray-man's Earl to here. LOL
Nov 5, 2008 1:25 AM

Oct 2007
damn this anime kicks a lot of ass... loved the slow motion matrix fight with the fat guy... the flashbacks really helped out a lot... can't wait for more
Nov 5, 2008 10:48 AM
Dec 2007
Hmmm this episode is quite self-explanatory, and still has this great atmosphere that defines Kurozuka. Can't wait to watch the rest !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 5, 2008 8:00 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
slightly less confusing than the manga. I think I'll drop the manga and watch this instead...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 5, 2008 8:55 PM

Oct 2008
That slo-mo fight scene made my brain feel nice. ˆ-ˆ

Sakujo said:
I, for one, think chronological storytelling has been somewhat overdone. :)

Indeed.

Nov 6, 2008 1:34 PM

Feb 2008
I thought I was the only one who didn't understand what was going on, lol, but apparently I'm not alone. phew...
But nevertheless, I love it, the art and animation are awesome and rave-party kind of fights are coool.
Nov 6, 2008 8:22 PM

Jan 2008
Whoa. Matrix style fight...even in picking the bullet. Haha. I like the art style in bullet picking scene even the sound was amazing.

I'm curious about Kuon and want to see him more in eps to come.

What? That was 20 years ago. Great ep. A lot happened here.

Nov 7, 2008 9:57 AM
Nov 2007
"Ddddaaaas ggggeeehhht nicccchhht!" /german for: Its impossible or It can't be
The "Earls" voice in bullettime made me laugh ^^ Great anime so far, looking forward for more mad vampire action, go KURO!
Nov 7, 2008 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
Interesting episode.
But I'd like to see more of Kuro and Kuromitsu in the 1940's.
Nov 10, 2008 9:47 PM

Dec 2007
Good episode. I am little confusing at the start, but I am glad this episode for the flashbacks explained a lot. I loved that scene where the slow motion matrix fights with the fat person. Looking forward to more.
Nov 15, 2008 11:44 AM

Feb 2008
I swear the main character does his random scream at least twice, every episode.

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed the character art style is a bit similar to Claymore's.
Nov 16, 2008 4:07 PM

Feb 2008
Am I the only one who feels the episodes are too short? They are always over way too fast.

Great episode and we seem to be approaching the main story. I would've liked to see more of Kuro and Kuromitsu in the past, in fact I wouldn't mind a slice of life show about the two of them :)
Nov 17, 2008 1:43 AM

Apr 2007
Orange-kun said:
I swear the main character does his random scream at least twice, every episode.

This might be a bad thing if Mamoru wasn't voicing him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2008 4:24 AM

Jul 2008
fighting scenes were great again, and kuro x kuromitsu is just so cute....^^ postapocalyptic scenario is awesome.... :)
Take a look at the world and laugh. -Januzs Korczak
Mar 14, 2009 10:55 PM

May 2008
Ok soooo this seems like a Japanese samurai version of the matrix to me atm and the girl they want to take Kuro to see must be some equivalent to the oracle or something.... Very interesting so far though.

Also I lol'd at the millennium earl at the start, he even had the same voice. :x
Sep 24, 2009 3:59 PM
May 2008
battles are the only good thing it what is coming across as a phenomenally bland series
Dec 29, 2009 11:20 PM
Aug 2008
does anyone know anything (name, composer, where to download) about the music that plays when Kuro wakes up and sees K.mitsu? Or can anyone at least maybe tell me where I can find that info? I love it and want it, but have not the slightest idea about either what's its name, who wrote it, or where to get it... v_v
Worst thing is, it does seem familiar somehow, yet I still can't identify it.
I would greatly appreciate any help...
Thank you. v_v
Mar 26, 2010 3:33 PM

Jan 2010
So far so good great.
May 8, 2010 2:58 PM
Feb 2009
ugh it keeps jumping from present to past getting annoying
Oct 22, 2010 1:06 PM

Sep 2007
Setsia said:
ugh it keeps jumping from present to past getting annoying
Actually, I think that's what makes it interesting.

Orange-kun said:
I swear the main character does his random scream at least twice, every episode
That scream does get annoying. -.-;

Aug 17, 2012 8:50 AM

Jul 2011
Matrix Matrix .... Love it Love it :-D
I hope there'll be more of Kuro and Kuromitsu ... there're amazing together.
Feb 15, 2013 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
I thought this anime would be another one of those Edo period animes, but an apocalyptic setting is nice.

I couldn't really take some of the scenes in this episode seriously.
The matrix thing with the fat guy made me lol. Exactly how many times did Kuro and Kuromitsu die already? I used to think that being immortal seemed nice but this show made me change my mind. Kuro's random screams are also quite funny.
removed-userFeb 15, 2013 12:58 AM
Jul 13, 2013 5:18 AM

Oct 2009
So...okay...looks like Kuro didn't sleep THAT long as we thought.

This felt very short :/
Jul 26, 2013 8:05 AM

Apr 2012
They sure love to make a lot of SPLATS in this show.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Sep 1, 2013 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
Kuromitsu :'(
セクシーヒップスター
Jun 8, 2014 9:58 PM

Sep 2011
Wow they got me again. I was completely confused at the beginning and then I realized they were just explaining the flashback from the previous episode. *facepalm
Nov 16, 2014 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
How the hell does Rai still look the same after 20 years, same with that friend of hers.
Maybe the group itself is a vampire group, or at least some of them?

Anyhow, at least we get some insight into Kurou going through time, seems whenever he "dies" he will come back at a later time.
Jun 4, 2015 8:46 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Orochimaru9 said:
They sure love to make a lot of SPLATS in this show.

LOL.......agree 100% with that thought.
Another very nice episode. Not having any problems with the time lines...it just keeps me thinking and anticipating.
Oct 7, 2015 11:17 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
chicanerous said:
RE: Chronology

I don't know how accurate this is (based on the manga, which I have not read), but my impression -- largely formed after viewing this episode -- is that disordered chronology is being used here to reflect the disordered sense of experience that Kuro has. He's been alive for so long that his mind is having trouble sorting out what is/was real, memory, or imagination. (This may be compounded with periodic blanking out due to unconsciousness or "death" resulting from severe mutilation, manglement, etc.) Hence, in this episode, we get the dialogue after his dream, questioning (at least for that scene) whether it was just a dream or if it was memory. There are a couple other cues, ranging from snatches of dialogue to his deportment when encountering things the audience might have assumed were new to him, through the past few episodes that could be interpreted in this way.

Great post, I was planning to say more or less the same thing. Honestly if I didn't take a class that included an intro to film, then I would probably be saying the same thing as a lot of people here did; that the non-chronological order is not fun to watch. After this episode, there's evidence that this was done for to convey a particular point to the audience about Kurou's experience. We are just as confused about the timeline as Kurou as, not knowing what is currently going on in the world. Kuromitsu has been with Kurou this whole time, so every time he wakes up disoriented, she can fill in things for him. I think this is kind of a sad way to live though. I also wonder how come only Kurou has this problem.

This episode contained a lot of answers to my questions from the last episode, mostly regarding the Red Army's intentions. Although they said the Red Army was kidnapping people to experiment on them, they also plainly killed them. Or maybe they took the bodies, I don't know. Either way, they're up to no good. I'm guessing they have weird experimental technology that made that weird monster we saw last episode, is that one of the "fiends" they are planning to make?

Also, poor Mamo, having to scream so much in this series.
Nov 30, 2015 1:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not the best example of non-chronological storytelling I've seen to be honest.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 8, 2015 4:24 PM

Feb 2013
I kind of figured they were using her blood for something. Catch and release policy.
Mar 8, 2016 12:20 PM
Jul 2014
Aha, OK, I get it now... What's happening that is.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What happened after the first two episodes?

removed-user - Mar 2

4 by wiederherr »»
Mar 5, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tradedaemon - Dec 24, 2008

151 by akiraic »»
Feb 23, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 7 Discussion

kie_ - Nov 20, 2008

41 by iChante »»
Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 7, 2008

96 by Ballisto »»
Jan 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 8 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Nov 28, 2008

37 by OweynLupton »»
Jul 25, 2020 7:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.