Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Dub or Sub?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 18, 2014 6:38 PM

Jun 2014
I would like sub
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2014 10:17 PM

Jun 2014
The dub is better written, but the sub is better acted. The actors aren't bad in the dub or anything, it's just you could really tell that they didn't really care at some parts.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 24, 2014 2:12 PM

May 2014
This is one of the few anime series where I can watch either, but I prefer the dub. The voices in the english dub just fit their characters better and it has great voice acting. I would say you can't go wrong with either, but I prefer the dub.

Lol @ people who say "sub obv" and "sub always"...

You should check scenes from both and decide for yourself, that's what I do when I'm thinking of watching a new anime.
Jul 24, 2014 2:25 PM

Jul 2013
I will say subs but the dub is pretty good too. take your pick
Dec 13, 2014 5:40 AM

Mar 2012
The NGE dub is fine, I would even go as far to say some of the main characters put a pretty good performance like Misato. The problem with the dub is the same with pretty much all dubs the background characters voices actors are shit, there's no glossing over it. I would also say Rei and Shinji VA are superior in the original and considering how important these 2 characters are, the sub wins. The dub Rei VA did not understand her character and played her as emotionless robot, which is only really skin deep on what makes Rei well Rei. As for Shinji Dub its Spike Spencer and his voice can be pretty grating adding to the fact that Shinji as a character is grating can make it hard to watch.
Apr 25, 2015 8:11 AM

Mar 2014
Sub

The dub gets slightly better after a while and both dub Misato and dub Asuka are good but compared to the original version, which remains consistent through the whole show and is great from episode one, it's a relatively bad dub. Both Shinji and Rei are miles better in the Japanese dub
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 16, 2015 4:27 AM

Aug 2015
The Dub is good but the sub is way better tbh
Oct 16, 2015 12:40 PM

Apr 2015
After watching both versions, I'd say that I prefer the Jap Dub with English Subs.
The voice acting improves and becomes great by the middle and ending parts in the English Dub, especially around the main characters. But the supporting characters, (Those who are in the control room reading off the status of the pilots) were always terrible annoying for me.
If you can overlook (over-hear?) that, the dub might be fine for you. But I honestly prefer the sub.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 28, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2015
Both sounds awesome.... still Shinji's voice no matter what JPN/ENG sucks.... kinda total loser.....for a pussycat character....voice is nearly perfect.....
Apr 24, 2016 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
Dub is objectively superior. The voice actors, especially for Shinji, Asuka, and Misato are more recognizable and better sounding than the Sub version. Generally speaking, the dub simply has better audio all around, ignoring anything said about performances, it simply sounds better.

As for performances, nearly all the dub performances are objectively better than sub in my opinion. Tiffany Grant's performance as Asuka stands out the most.
Apr 24, 2016 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
I almost always find sub far superior, but in the case of NGE I actually prefer the dub.
Edit: yes, the audio of the English dub is better too, for some reason
AburadakoApr 24, 2016 4:58 PM
Jun 12, 2016 5:07 PM

Jun 2015
The dub for NGE has its flukes (which is expected for one of its time), but it's surprisingly well made. The voices emit a lot of character and the script is pretty decent. The voices of Misato and Asuka in particular are deserving of praise. I wouldn't say it's better than the Japanese, but it's recommended.

The End of Evangelion dub on the other hand... don't go near it. Avoid it like the plague.
Oct 15, 2016 5:25 AM
Oct 2016
Can someone help me find a version of eva that has the writing on the black screens (the ones that frequently appear on screen) in english? or at least one with subtitles for that writing? I feel like i'm missing a lot and I can't find it anywhere
Oct 15, 2016 5:50 AM

Apr 2015
I've seen both, and I'll suggest the dub, even if the sub has some stronger moments.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 6, 2016 12:21 AM

Dec 2015
Original voices, of course. Just compare Ogata's performance for Shinji to his english/german/french voice, it has more range. Naturally, Hayashibara does a good job on Rei too.
Unless you have reading difficulties: there are several episodes featuring simultaneous lines (sometimes because of japanese text translated, particularly in the Platinum version) or dialogue-heavy.

the_seventh_l said:
dubs are never better than the original voice acting. Right.

At least, the original interprets received direct inputs/returns from the director.

@Johan_Griesel The ADV release of Renewal of Eva (director's cut with fixed pictures and extended eps 22-23-24) has every pannel, sign, text screen translated in the subtitles. (I think there is even a dedicated track in case you're watching in english)
Those DVDs were published in North America and Europe under the name Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum. (they even include the episodes 22-24 as broadcasted on TV, without the added material)
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 12:29 AM
Nov 6, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
Sub, because Rei Ayanami voice
Feb 19, 2017 5:19 PM
Sep 2016
I think Evangelion is a strange case because I don't like the acting in english, but I also don't like the acting in japanese. So pick your poison I guess.
Mar 29, 2017 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
The sub is consistently strong, where the dug has a couple voice actors who deliver stunning performances, and most of the main characters are at least decent, but most of the side characters are plain mediocre. I'd recommend watching the sub first, and re-watching it with the dub to see those great moments where some of the better voice actors stand out. The dub also gets better the farther you are into the series. At first, even the really good actors weren't great, but they seem to get significantly and progressively better as the series goes on. Even so, the sub is great all around, so start with that.
May 18, 2018 8:26 AM
Jun 2016
Well, reading all of this is exhausting, but I have to say after reading all this, the dub's better. I can say that even having only seen the sub.

I watched this anime first a year ago, and I've been wanting to re-watch it. It's common practise to watch the dub when you first re-watch an anime, but I was hesitant because I heard some pretty adamant criticism of the dub.

So far, all I'm seeing is complaints about the voice acting and since the voice acting is completely forgettable in japanese, that's not much of a criticism. Everything aside from the voice acting seems to be getting praised extensively, so I'm going with the dub, like everyone should.

I was worried about criticism I've heard of some musical changes, but since nobody's bringing it up, I think it's a mute point.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.