Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2012 7:09 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Following MAL's splitting of episodes for this series, this is suppose to be episode 3 part 2.

Apparently you leave a note to your friend with words like Metallica, Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendencies, Helloween, etc. LOL Or maybe it's a secret code between them (which I highly doubt). Still lulz. XD

It has been hundred years since humans returned to Earth (end of episode 2) and Project Heaven intends to shoot people back to space. X_X I had this strong suspicion and I think it was implied that Bishop Won was Shogo though they didn't positively say it so in this episode.

It's from 1980's but whatever the heck this series was I still enjoyed and got the plot somehow (I think) . XP

5/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 3, 2013 10:20 AM
Nov 2011
If I could rate the parts separately, I'd give the first two parts 7/10 for great production values, although the plot didn't impress me that much. Especially part two, with it's gorgeous Yasuomi character design, did I find really pleasing to the eye, although the prodoct placement got a bit too blatant.

As for the third part, I found the production values awfully wanting. The animation was mediocre at it's best, and outright awful at it's worst. The characters were rather neatly drawn in some keyframes, but in most of them, they were awfully simplified and reduced to just having one color without any shading. I can't possibly give part three a higher rating than 5/10.

That would make a mean score of 6/10, which I will give the series as a whole.
Dec 21, 2013 7:08 AM

Jun 2010
I thought the message of the first two parts amounted to "everyone is dumb and worthless and doesn't deserve to live except for me and people that I like" so seeing the hero of those parts show up as the villain trying to kill everyone for not meeting his expectations actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Other than that, it was just more Megazone; it doesn't make sense.
Dec 26, 2013 1:44 PM

Mar 2010
I was really pleased with all parts of this OVA.

Part One had a lot of heart and was pretty much Noburo Ishiguro doing Macross to the ultimate stylistic extreme.

Part Two had a graphic realism to it which was really interesting to watch. Sure it was way trashier than part one, but that really amplified the whole "punk-ness" of it which kind of worked well to separate it as its own stylistic thing. Also, Itano is a brilliant fucking animator so that definitely helps.

Part Three was interesting because even though it was stylistically the blandest and poorest animated of the three it did have to most cohesive plot and at least in my opinion offered the most satisfying conclusion to the series. (and that climatic mecha battle was just fucking perfect!)

I'm giving this a 9/10. It's flawed, but it still manages to be very impressive production wise while for the most part maintaining an interesting level of style and theme.
Jun 12, 2015 1:30 AM

Feb 2008
I guess the second episode was a bit better now since we already had some direction, but it was still uninteresting. Wonder if the third part actually inspired Ghost in the Shell, they are quite similar.

As it stands, Part I > Part III > Part II, mostly because while uninteresting, Part III had some clear direction and wasn't a TOTAL mess like Part II.

And why the fuck are all OVAs counted as one, as they have different directors and staff members. AniDB has them split, which makes sense. It would be much easier rating them separately, but oh well, 5/10 for the whole.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 19, 2016 9:03 AM

Jul 2010
This is how I rate all these parts

Part I: it was great and had lots of personality 9/10.

Part II: Imo a huge stepdown from the first and lacked any real personality 5/10

Part III: Better than the second since it had none of the previous characters (lost interest in them since Part II happened) still only like decent 6/10.

So overall I'll give it 7/10 just cuz I loved Part I so much.
Jun 27, 2016 5:19 AM

Dec 2015
During the episode, I came to think the man in the system was Shôgo and at the end he seems to imply it once "deconnected" but doesn't have the same voice.
Most things are cleared out. The hope isn't dead, but I still wonder how they are gonna start over in the wild... most of the people there might prefer the "safety" of Eden's modernity over the uncertainty of the savage Earth. And there is no more missing pictures during movements, though the drawings are sometimes far from good (despite the nice designs and several pretty images).
Also... this story of trapped people with pilots who plug themselves to the machine and featuring a rebellion leader named Sion... Was there any sci-fi novel back then who inspired those elements? Because even Matrix used them 10 years later.

Bonus: not only has Kusao the main role but I got Hayashibara's mini-appearance as the blond woman working with Sion. So good to hear them.

5/5

Nice conclusion of the trilogy, technically inferior to the previous installments (coming after part.II wasn't a blessing here) but successful return to the basics (and some new sci-fi additions like the network omnipresence) with a far better time / story ratio than the second entry who was nothing more than a missing 15-20min conclusion stretched on 90min.

Megazone 23 Part.III:
Score: 7-/10 (yes, I will favour the content over technical aspects)

With MAL system:
Megazone III - the series: 7/10.

@St0rmblade A dozen episodes worth of material, production meddling, already made parts smashed together to make a "film" ? I guess it's simply some "déjà-vu".
Rei_IIIAug 13, 2020 3:26 PM
Jun 20, 2019 7:13 PM

Mar 2016
I think this third part tried to tell a more coherent sci-fi story, and it was just kind of boring because the characters were nothing special and it was feeling that drove the previous entries: with the first part having atmosphere and the second part, anarchy. Thematically, it was a good way to end the saga I guess.

Really wish MAL would separate these entries out, it'd make rating them so much simpler.
Aug 12, 2020 8:34 AM

Aug 2017
The opening scene between Yacob and Won Dai reminded me of NGE

And again the idea of "disposing of humanity" as a method of saving the Earth environment...where have I heard this, hmm...

That last kiss with Eve was a bit "cheap" but nice xD
I still couldn't get away from that Psychopass vibe from this part overall. Well, simple but fine, I guess.

P.S. Apparently there's no new information on the remake and sequel that were announced a couple of years ago.
From wikipedia:
Megazone 23 was conceived as a 12-episode television series set to air on Fuji TV, but it was changed to a direct-to-video project after the sponsors withdrew their support mid-production. According to Noboru Ishiguro, the end result was a "compilation movie" of already produced episodes

Sounds familiar
St0rmbladeAug 12, 2020 12:45 PM
Oct 25, 2020 3:19 PM

Feb 2012
Man, this really went downhill. Not even HD remastering can save it if there are no new frames...

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 23, 2022 3:45 PM
Apr 2019
I originally bought Megazone 23 on DVD when I was a kid, I assumed all 3 parts were just one movie each, I don't know how but I think I missed this one, I didn't recognise anything from Part 3 ep 2 when I watched the blu-ray lol
Jan 13, 11:20 PM

Jun 2021
I don't care if everyone call this 3rd and 4th OVA shit, i liked it, because was less confusing than the previos roallercoaster of garbage information of shogo's story BUT I'LL ACCEPT, MINA, MEGAZONE 23 ISN'T ABOUT GOOD PLOT lol.
Well, i liked this OVA's, Are so retro, so fucking boomer that i'm disappointed that this shit doesn't had a videogame, BRO, EVERY SCI-FI MECHA ANIME IN THAT TIME HAD AT LEAST A SHOOT EM' UP VIDEOGAME IN SOME 16-BIT CONSOLE, WHY DOESN'T EXIST A MEGAZONE 23 VIDEOGAME WHYYYYYY AAAAAHHHHH!!!!
As always in this type of shows, i was in "AMBATANAAAAT" mode because of THE GORGEOUS, NAAAASTY, SICK, SEXUALLY ORGASMIC ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND THE MECHAS, HOLYSHIT, A MOTORCYCLE WHO CAN TRANSFORM INTO A ROBOT????? as i said: AMBATANAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! well 6/10 the last 2 episodes don't have sex scenes >:( .
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 26, 2009

28 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 14, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 3 Discussion

greenmarty - Jun 17, 2012

13 by Adriannitro »»
Jan 13, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 2 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 2, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Jan 12, 12:24 AM

» AIC RIGHTS Starts New Megazone 23 Reboot Project as "G-Project"

ims-tokyo - Mar 25, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Dec 3, 2023 8:32 AM

» 1980's ANIME Movies Pack WRONG ORDER

PxHC - Apr 30, 2023

3 by LelPop »»
May 18, 2023 4:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.