Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sep 24 - 30

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 2, 2012 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:

Perhaps, but if so it's a pretty sudden shift in taste. The OVA series ended only last November and averaged about 16k through vol. 5. The sixth volume which only came out this June did sell less, at 9.6k, but I assumed that simply reflected the fact that it's the only volume that didn't spotlight one of the Shinsengumi guys (it focused on the one oni dude).

Hmm. Did women like having a female protagonist that much? It seems like most of the women who watched Hakuouki hated Chizuru, so I can't imagine that's it.

Maybe there was no female heroine to identify themselves with? i dunno, the third hakuoki tossed the whole reverse-harem idea and maybe that had something to do with it?
that or maybe they've been saving up for all these shoujos airing? lol.
Oct 2, 2012 4:18 PM
Nov 2010
j0x said:
Accel World is maintaining profitable sales very good news for the possibility of season 2
very nice
Oct 2, 2012 5:01 PM

Sep 2012
On Tuesday, in 2ch there were a last call for guesses for this week's BD/DVD sales, and those fans made it really close
The guess for Dog Days was 9000-10000 (hit); Total Eclipse was 5000-6000 (slightly below) while JoshiRaku was 4000-5000 (hit too)

jmal said:
I can certainly say I didn't expect Arcana and Hakuouki to be this close (relatively speaking). The Stalker estimate didn't underestimate Hakuouki nearly as much as I expected. I thought it was a lock to at least double it (with 5.2k DVDs), and just as likely triple it. Really wonder what caused such a drop in sales.

Arcana definitely did better than expected, at least it was how 2ch reacted. The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females. They underestimated Kuroko for example, and they did not sense that Tiger & Bunny was such a smash for fujoshi until relatively late. Arcana is not a big hit like Kuroko or T&B, but again we are having underestimation by male otaku about what anime pulls in female buyers.

Actually I estimated Hakuouki to have <5k in sales, but still I did not expect it would be this low. Right at the beginning of the season, I even put it as a candidate for the "4 best" for the season based on its track record (the 4 best I tipped was SAO, Horizon2, Hakuouki, Tari Tari) but as the season progressed I found not so much mention of Hakuouki even among the female Japanese bloggers and I started to adjust my estimate downwards. Still this result is even more pathetic than the infamous drop seen in the 2nd season of Ika-musume or Milky Holmes. Oh well.

zeroyuki92 said:

MuvLuv can't rival horizon at all like some people estimated months ago, but I guess 6.2k is already good for two cour - low budget series. Dunno if it's enough for guarantee to animate the main series, though.

6.4k is good figure for FIRST VOLUME. However, many guess the sales would drop quite a bit because
- The first 2 episodes have much better sakuga particularly action animation than all the remaining episodes. Those 2 episodes were so costly in time and resource that they had to change the director from ep.3 on to salvage the progress. The story also shifted in tone from a deadly serious (even gory) tone after the first 2 episodes
- The marketing has pushed very hard a campaign called "Ikkan Nikan Budokan" in which customers who buy both vol.1 (ikkan) and vol.2 (nikan) can apply for a ticket to an event to be held in the famous Budokan (and that would cost money). Given the venue, the expectation is that it is not just an ordinary anime seiyuu event but something more.

What I heard is that the main series is much more difficult to animate because of its gory material as well as the potential animation cost - unlike Alternative Total Eclipse which happens mostly behind the main battle line, the main series is about the front line which means a lot more actions happen. So the decision is to animate this spinoff novel instead.

zeroyuki92 said:

Some heavy-fanservice oriented anime doing pretty bad this season and almost all of >3k series this season are relatively low in fanservice. Should we take this as a signal?

One thing that many anime fans, Japan or overseas, are prone to say is: such-and-such anime sells because it is fanservice/moe anime. In fact history shows it is really not the case, and this season's result should remind everyone about this again. A fairer approach is to say that a fanservice or harem anime, if done competently (meaning the character design is good enough, the MC is not hard to identify, or the story is not too messed up), has a bottom for its sales, but it is hard to say how much is that bottom is, some say 2000 some say 2500, but anyway it is not high and is below the manabu (breakeven) line.

We have yet to see the full figures for the fanservice / harem anime as this week there are too many competitors. It is still possible that some titles may make it beyond 3k though.

Nachtwandler_21 said:
What's the problem with Saterlight. They got enough profit with some latest projects but AKB0048 and Total Eclipse are very low-budget while they could make smth really great and profitable out of this.

I would not say AKB0048 is very low-budget though. To me it does not look particularly low budget compared to standard midnight anime stuff like Rinne no Lagrange or even Aquarion EVOL, another Satelight product. As for Total Eclipse, bear in mind that it is not 100% Satelight's work -- the anime is a joint effort of Satelight and ixtl.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

And I prefer to see new Nanoha season, not another Dog Days cause in S2 they lighted the concept even more wich is not for my taste.

Most fans credit the lightening of tone for making Dog Days 2 a big success. Apparently they all think that the serious part in season 1 was not necessary. Besides, the sakuga has improved quite a bit while the story covers quite a bit more amusing situations. The squirrel race, the ancestors and the heavy presence of Rebecca all got big thumbs up from fans. On the other hand, they wish there were more Leo and Nanami in this season. The ending of S2 clearly paves the way for a third encounter, and I am sure it will come (so is Yuru Yuri S3). The fan base is this strong.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2012 5:58 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:

Arcana definitely did better than expected, at least it was how 2ch reacted. The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females. They underestimated Kuroko for example, and they did not sense that Tiger & Bunny was such a smash for fujoshi until relatively late. Arcana is not a big hit like Kuroko or T&B, but again we are having underestimation by male otaku about what anime pulls in female buyers.

Wait hold on, you're not assuming that whole KnB's 22k and T&B whole 27k is fujoshi, are you?
It's not that they have little idea, it's that the animes were not intended for the fujoshi, so it's natural to think that way, or are you telling me that a mainstream Shounen and Seinen would actually target a small niche market, with bad reputation at that? These pointless assumptions are ridiculous, you're expecting people to go "Oh, a basketball sports Shounen anime, must be for those fujoshi" or "Hey look, a seinen anime about superheroes, must be for those fujoshi", do you see how stupid that sounds?

i bet when Psycho Pass and Magi start selling and those fujosh start drawing fanarts you people (those who make pointless assumptions) would definitely say the exact same thing, "Oh magi? you should thank fujoshi for the sales", "Psycho pass? screw the action and guns and all the relevant stuff, look at the artstyle man, it's definitely for fujoshi", i swear, i can totally imagine that happening.
actually, maybe those gender-bendered K-on fanarts are proof those sales are thanks to the fujoshi, who knows, maybe other people who watch anime had no interest in it.

And it's not "male otaku", it's anime fans in general female otaku, male otaku, aliens, no seriously, male otaku aren't the only ones that watch anime.

Don't make people feel uncomfortable about watching and buying an anime with these empty thoughts, dammit.

sorry for the rant y'all,it's just these stupid arguements tick me the hell off and they never end.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:21 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
well isn't Haganai selling well O_O
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 2, 2012 6:23 PM

Apr 2010
Downgrade355 said:
symbv said:

Wait hold on, you're not assuming that whole KnB's 22k and T&B whole 27k is fujoshi, are you?
It's not that they have little idea, it's that the animes were not intended for the fujoshi, so it's natural to think that way, or are you telling me that a mainstream Shounen and Seinen would actually target a small niche market, with bad reputation at that? These pointless assumptions are ridiculous, you're expecting people to go "Oh, a basketball sports Shounen anime, must be for those fujoshi" or "Hey look, a seinen anime about superheroes, must be for those fujoshi", do you see how stupid that sounds?

i bet when Psycho Pass and Magi start selling and those fujosh start drawing fanarts you people (those who make pointless assumptions) would definitely say the exact same thing, "Oh magi? you should thank fujoshi for the sales", "Psycho pass? screw the action and guns and all the relevant stuff, look at the artstyle man, it's definitely for fujoshi", i swear, i can totally imagine that happening.
actually, maybe those gender-bendered K-on fanarts are proof those sales are thanks to the fujoshi, who knows, maybe other people who watch anime had no interest in it.

And it's not "male otaku", it's anime fans in general female otaku, male otaku, aliens, no seriously, male otaku aren't the only ones that watch anime.

Don't make people feel uncomfortable about watching and buying an anime with these empty thoughts, dammit.

sorry for the rant y'all,it's just these stupid arguements tick me the hell off and they never end.

Fact is, it IS the women who buy them. Thats all that matters. The last Comiket had more KnB doujins (all yaoi obviously) than anything not named Touhou... would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai with tons of doujins isn't aimed at guys?
RyanSaotomeOct 2, 2012 6:29 PM

Oct 2, 2012 6:34 PM

Sep 2011
RyanSaotome said:

Fact is, it IS the women who buy them. Thats all that matters. The last Comiket had more KnB doujins (all yaoi obviously) than anything not named Touhou... would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai with tons of doujins isn't aimed at guys?

That's not a fact, that's an empty assumption, and since when did fanarts have anything to do with the anime sales and who buys the anime anyway?
And comiket? You either have been on a fujoshi blog full of C82 pictures, or you've read some article about the First day of Comiket. Because the recent comikets, from C79 has been predominantly male, Day 1 and day 2 are all rounders (Day 3 was pretty much Hentai only), and there used to be a large number of fujoshi circles, but even then, they barely managed to make like, quarter of Comiket, Day 1 especially.

Touhou isn't even an anime, and has the largest doujin total number of any thing known in the otaku industry, not to mention it was YEARS ago, KnB is new. how would you explain that?

"would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai" That's exactly the point, it's OBVIOUSLY aimed at otaku, and it's labeled seinen, and everything about it says it's an Otaku anime. What's KnB and T&B's excuse?

Also, SAO had alot more Doujins than KnB, from what i've seen in Toranoana, Hyouka sold alot less than KnB and almost has just as much.

To put it simply, that 22K you see right there isn't "women" or "fujoshi", everyone had a hand in it, Women, Fujoshi, otaku, female viewers, male viewers, maybe aliens too. People don't buy BD's/DVD's to draw fanarts, they buy them for collection's sake and to re-watch them when they feel like it.

and if anyone here is seriously going to use Comiket and Doujins as an argument then you might aswell check Toranoana first.

good lord man, i never thought trivial crap like this would provoke many arguments.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:52 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:

Of course, NOT the whole, but there is noteworthy presence of fujoshi customers for those anime, and people in 2ch did not talk much about fujoshi and when the evidence showed that they were popular with fujoshi people those people expressed surprise.
Downgrade355 said:

You should say that to those otaku expressing those surprise at 2ch, not to me. I am not the person who said those anime should not be popular with fujoshi. In fact, I would say that T&B was designed with some intention to draw in female otaku and fujoshi, with all the kakkoii male characters and bromance concept. All I wanted to say is that many male otaku think very little about what draws in fujoshi or non-BL female anime fans.

Downgrade355 said:

At least fans in 2ch know about Magi and know that there are substantial number of female readers for the manga, so they would expect a certain proportion of fans coming from female gender. One thing though -- not all female anime fans are fujoshi. I tend to think that female readers of Magi are not fujoshi.

Downgrade355 said:

Note what I said, I said male otaku are the main residents in 2ch. That's it. Since when did I say only male otaku watch anime?? Of course I know anime watchers include more than male otaku, though the mainstay of midnight anime is still male otaku.

Downgrade355 said:

You are firing without aiming anyway LOL.

And your mocking and smug tone does not help to make your case better either.
symbvOct 2, 2012 6:50 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2012 6:49 PM

Sep 2011
If it's substantial then why make a fuss as if fujoshi are the only ones watching it and buying it when it's blatantly, painfully obvious that it's not the case?

And of COURSE they'd express surprise, mainstream genre -> draws in small niche market who it wasn't intended for, anyone would be surprised.

Lol, right, because when they decide to make an anime about friendship and strong male leads, they're thinking about targeting fujoshi, because fujoshi are the only creatures on earth that are interested in those, and Studios don't care about the wide demographics, they only care about the niche small ones who draw fanarts of their products.

It doesn't matter where, you're generalising and making assumptions. i believe your "LOL" doesn't help the case either.

Let's see where this argument goes, i hope it won't be like last time with you and your Oretama.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:57 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:57 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
If it's substantial then why make a fuss as if fujoshi are the only ones watching it?

Where did I say fujoshi are the only ones watching it?

I said "The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females."

Downgrade355 said:

Lol, right, because when they decide to make an anime about friendship and strong male leads, they're thinking about targeting fujoshi, because fujoshi are the only creatures on earth that are interested in those.

It doesn't matter where, you're generalising and making assumptions.

Again I want to stress that there are fujoshi and there are non-fujoshi female otaku. It makes sense to assume that handsome male leads can appeal to female fans, fujoshi or otherwise, just like it makes sense to assume that pretty female leads appeal to male fans. Also it is not as if T&B was written only to target fujoshi (or non-fujoshi female fans). Different elements are added to target different types of fans, for example there are elements for superhero fans, tokusatsu fans or just those fans who like the shounen type of exciting battles.

And the idea friendship appeals to all sectors. It also makes sense to assume that strong friendship between female characters appeal to yuri fans and strong friendship between male characters appeal to yaoi fans. This is reason assumption.

Oct 2, 2012 6:59 PM
Oct 2011
symbv said:
At least fans in 2ch know about Magi and know that there are substantial female readers for the manga, so they would expect a certain proportion of fans coming from female gender. One thing though -- not all female anime fans are fujoshi. I tend to think that female readers of Magi are not fujoshi.
There's nothing really other than the art that could make fujoshi go wild in Magi, Magi is mostly action with a deep themes about politics, economics, slavery and stuff like that, nothing to appeal for the fujoshi there.

About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading it too. Just sayin'.
Candor123Oct 2, 2012 7:09 PM
Oct 2, 2012 7:06 PM

Sep 2011
Well from what you were implying, that's the impression i got, and it's not just you, some people lately really have no clue what they're saying.

Dude, like i said, Male otaku aren't the only ones who think like that, most people would not expect a mainstream anime to be popular with a niche market group, especially when the anime isn't intended for them.

I've said this many times before, many people use the term to describe any female otaku as "fujoshi", if you were to label each one of them based on their preferences then it would be alot more complicated to guess who did and who didn't buy the BD, but generally female viewers make up a considerable part of the buyers.

"Different elements are added to target different types of fans, for example there are elements for superhero fans, tokusatsu fans or just those fans who like the shounen type of exciting battles"
Exactly, which is why assuming that those specific animes are popular with "fujoshi" ignoring everyone else is plain ignorant, especially when the focus of anime, for example T&B is the whole superhero thing, exciting battles, superpowers and the typical shounen/seinen stuff.

Yeah it would make sense, but you're saying that friendship and bromance = automatically fujoshi audience. that's like saying friend chicken = black people (Just using it as an example).

Candor said:

About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading it too. Just sayin'.

i guess you couldn't stand watching this hilarity, eh?
Oct 2, 2012 7:15 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
Yeah it would make sense, but you're saying that friendship and bromance = automatically fujoshi audience. that's like saying friend chicken = black people (Just using it as an example).

My argument goes the other way round. It is: The anime is popular with fujoshi, why is that? The element of male friendship and bromance seem to be one big reason. At the end if an anime is particularly popular with a particular group of fans (e.g. fujoshi) it makes sense to think about what might have caused this to happen.

Candor said:
About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading/watching it too. Just sayin'.

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.

Oct 2, 2012 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
You missed the point man, what pisses me off is when people talk about a specific anime, take T&B for example, and throw around arguments trying to prove that it's popular with fujoshi, who're supposedly a niche market group, ignoring everyone else who's watching and buying it. and i'm sure i'm not the only here who feels this way.

And i wasn't specifically talking to symbv, i was adressing everyone who make those kind of empty assumptions.
Oct 2, 2012 7:17 PM

Sep 2012
jmal, I also watch Precure and I love the current Smile Precure more than any Precure since the first generation.

Downgrade355 said:

That's not really what I said. My argument went the other way round. It is: The anime is popular with fujoshi, why is that? The element of male friendship and bromance seem to be one big reason. At the end if an anime is particularly popular with a particular group of fans (e.g. fujoshi) it makes sense to think about what might have caused this to happen.

Candor said:
About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading/watching it too. Just sayin'.

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender too. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.
symbvOct 2, 2012 7:38 PM

Oct 2, 2012 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
it's popular with Females, doesn't mean the large majority of consumers are Females, that just means the Female audience happens to be a big part of the viewers. and what part of "niche market group" don't you get? I'll try to explain it as much as i can if you want.

Candor's point was that KnB has a considerably large amount of female readers, he didn't say "most of Kuroko no basket's viewers/readers/buyers are female".
Oct 2, 2012 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
it's popular with Females, doesn't mean the large majority of consumers are Females, that just means the Female audience happens to be a big part of the viewers. and what part of "niche market group" don't you get? I'll try to
explain it as much as i can if you want.

I did not say the large majority of consumers, of T&B or anime as a whole, are female. And I doubt jmal means that either. Not sure whom you are trying to argue with?

Downgrade355 said:
You missed the point man, what pisses me off is when people talk about a specific anime, take T&B for example, and throw around arguments trying to prove that it's popular with fujoshi, who're supposedly a niche market group, ignoring everyone else who's watching and buying it. and i'm sure i'm not the only here who feels this way.

At least I did not "try to prove that it is popular with fujoshi" because it is a widely accepted fact already that T&B is popular with fujoshi. On the other hand, the fact that it is popular with fujoshi does not preclude the fact that even so most of the buyers and fans are not fujoshi. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of the female fans of T&B are not fujoshi.
symbvOct 2, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2, 2012 7:23 PM
Oct 2011
Downgrade355 said:
Candor said:

i guess you couldn't stand watching this hilarity, eh?
I wanted to reply to magi, but I have some info about KnB so I though why not lol. I searched a bit and found the survey (KnB is in the 4th place with ~60%), here it is:

Girls

1. Haikyuu! Vol. 2 - Girls 66.8% Boys 33.2%

2. Gintama Vol. 45 - Girls 63.8% 36.2%

3. KHR Vol. 39 - Girls 62.4% Boys 37.6%

4. Kuroko No Basuke Vol. 18 - Girls 58.9% Boys 41.1%

5. One Piece Vol. 67 - Girls 51.8% Boys 48.2%

6. Bleach Vol. 55 - Girls 50.7% Boys 49.3%

Boys

1. Nisekoi Vol. 3 - Boys 83.3% Girls 16.7%

2. Kochikame Vol. 181 - Boys 81.8% Girls 18.2%

3. Medaka Box 16 - Boys 74.9% Girls 25.1%

4. Toriko Vol. 20 - Boys 62.7% Girls 37.3%

5. Beelzebub Vol. 17 - Boys 61.2% Girls 38.8%

6. Naruto Vol. 61 - Boys 54.4% Girls 45.6%

symbv said:
Candor said:

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.
Sure but still both genders read those manga, as you can see in the survey above, that's my point.
Candor123Oct 2, 2012 7:27 PM
Oct 2, 2012 7:28 PM

Sep 2011
Like i said, that's the impression i got from your post.

symbv said:
On the other hand, the fact that it is popular with fujoshi does not preclude the fact that even so most of the buyers and fans are not fujoshi. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of the female fans of T&B are not fujoshi.

That was my point from the beginning, why the fuss and going around in circles?
Oct 2, 2012 7:33 PM

Sep 2011
@jmal
if you try reading the first posts, no one even tried to imply that KnB has a male fanbase, everything is "female viewers this" "fujoshi that".

Anyway, now that everything is clear and the fuss is over, can we get over this "discussion" because is no point in continuing further with it.
Oct 2, 2012 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:

::points to Neapolitan metaphor:: Anticipated this point exactly already.

My bad, didn't notice that one.

So, guys, we done here? lol
Oct 2, 2012 7:44 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
Like i said, that's the impression i got from your post.

symbv said:
On the other hand, the fact that it is popular with fujoshi does not preclude the fact that even so most of the buyers and fans are not fujoshi. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of the female fans of T&B are not fujoshi.

That was my point from the beginning, why the fuss and going around in circles?

I doubt anybody else got the same impression as you did. Jmal, for example, got what I said right away it seems. It is as if you started the fuss and then got around the circles.

Downgrade335 said:

if you try reading the first posts, no one even tried to imply that KnB has a male fanbase, everything is "female viewers this" "fujoshi that".

Because the assumption and accepted understanding behind all those posts is that those anime, KnB or T&B, have a male fanbase. That was not mentioned only because the focus was on the female fans of those anime.

Oct 2, 2012 7:49 PM

Sep 2011
@symbv
I admit it was partly my fault for not understanding exactly what you tried to say.

We done here?
Oct 2, 2012 7:53 PM

Sep 2012
@Downgrade355
Guess we're done.

I am now looking at what goes on sale today (with sales data to be available next week). The major items include
Tari Tari vol.2
Oda Nobuna vol.2
Amagami SS+ vol.7

Anything else?

Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
@Downgrade355
Guess we're done.

I am now looking at what goes on sale today (with sales data to be available next week). The major items include
Tari Tari vol.2
Oda Nobuna vol.2
Amagami SS+ vol.7

Anything else?

Now that we're done with that, why don't we discuss something else?
By those "major items", you mean like highlights or something?
Oct 2, 2012 8:01 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:

Now that we're done with that, why don't we discuss something else?
By those "major items", you mean like highlights or something?

Yeah, I'd like to discuss something else and the prospect of the anime coming on sale this week happens to be on my mind.

For "major items", I mean the titles that are likely to get ranked in next Tuesday's sales data.

Oct 2, 2012 8:05 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:

Yeah, I'd like to discuss something else and the prospect of the anime coming on sale this week happens to be on my mind.

For "major items", I mean the titles that are likely to get ranked in next Tuesday's sales data.

I see, but wait, how many volumes left for Amagami SS+ (beside the seventh)?
There's something i've been wondering about also, say we got a 12 episode anime and a 24 episode one, normally, how much volumes they publish for those?
Oct 2, 2012 8:58 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
Downgrade355 said:
I see, but wait, how many volumes left for Amagami SS+ (beside the seventh)?

7th is the last.

There's something i've been wondering about also, say we got a 12 episode anime and a 24 episode one, normally, how much volumes they publish for those?

1-cour is usually 5-7 discs. 2-cour is usually 7-14 discs. Most common are 6 and 7 for 1-cour and 8 and 9 for 2-cour.

I see, and usually how many episodes per volume?
Oct 2, 2012 9:07 PM

Mar 2009
Good to see Guilty Crown and F/Z.
Oct 2, 2012 9:21 PM

Sep 2009
symbv

About Dog Days it's just my personal opinion. I scored S2 the ame as S2 but they could make much better. The thing is that every season of Nanoha ad twice more sales than previous one while DD is dropping which is common for sequels. If they don't make smth radically new for S3 — it would make 4K at best.
Oct 2, 2012 11:56 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
I will not be surprised if no Horizon II volume falls below 18k, personally. In terms of drop from vol. 1, Horizon's smallest drop was 13.40% for vol. 2 and largest was 19.32% for vol. 6. If the same holds for Horizon II and my ~23k guess for vol. 1 is right, the remaining volumes ought to be somewhere between 20k and 18.5k.
Taking into account sales of vols 2-7, I think it's fair to say Horizon has very loyal fanbase, so I thought that drop from vol 1 to vol 2 might be much smaller than in first season and next volumes would keep 21-21.5k sales. There's the thing with lower price of vol 1 though...

Downgrade355 said:

Considering 5-7 discs for 11-13 episode show, it's usually 2 eps/disc, sometimes first or last disc has 1 or 3 eps.
for two cour shows, it's usually 3 ep per disc with one or two of them having different number but there are some shows with 2 eps/disc (for example Hyouka with 22 eps and 11 discs)

Nachtwandler_21, for me serious part of first season was the >only< fault of this anime. Never again, pretty please.
Okay, there's one more thing but it's pretty unrealistic... More episodes. I think Dog Days could do just fine as a long running series, it's lighthearted heroic fantasy with many funny moments and decent amount of fanservice, their world is vast, has huge potential, there are many different powers, it shouldn't be too hard to think up new adventures (like with shapeshifting rabbit girl or some old demons)... Is it because of not enough source material? Some other reason? Personally, 1cour shows start to tire me, I want more 3+ cour shows that aren't kiddy shounen or family comedy.
ProgeuszOct 3, 2012 12:03 AM
Oct 3, 2012 12:11 AM

Sep 2011
@Progeusz
Alright thanks.

If you want a good long show, then i'd recommend Little busters (Based on your favourite list i'd say you'll like it), the prodcuers said it'll be "significantly long", i don't know how long is significantly long to them, but i spent 80+ hours on the VN and still haven't finished it it.
Oct 3, 2012 1:18 AM

Jan 2012
So relieved to hear about Dog Days' selling 9k+.

It seemed like so many English speaking fans were torn with season 2 complaining that it was terrible because of a lack of any conflict. I wasn't sure what Japanese fans felt about it, but it seems as though they really don't mind at all as the second season is printing money.

It also seemed as though Dog Days' was going to be 5th or 6th in rankings according to preliminary expectations, but I'm glad to see it looking as it will be 3rd behind Horizon and SAO, or maybe 4th if Kokoro edges itself up there. I'm not sure.

It's just nice to see a fun chill-out and smile anime being so popular, ESPECIALLY when it's not a manga or LN adaptation. Anime original franchises are always fun because nobody ever knows what's going to happen so nobody can spoil the story or know how many seasons the story will go on for.

@Progeusz
There is no source material for Dog Days. It is an all new anime original story that they're writing as they go. Masaki Tsuzuki is doing the same thing he did when he wrote the 3 Nanoha seasons.

Season 3 of Nanoha was called StrikerS, and there was a bit more of a delay between season 2 and 3, than there was between 1 and 2, seeing as 1 and 2 were 1-cour, and 3 was 2-cour. They just have more writing, animation, everything to do when its a longer season, and it really showed with StrikerS. It is considered the worst season.

People think Dog Days season 2 had slow parts? Go and watch StrikerS. The pacing was terrible.

Honestly, I enjoy having 1-cour seasons being split up. I really enjoy the feeling of knowing that another season is coming eventually and wondering what it will be like. I feel that if they did a 2-cour Dog Days that it would just finish the franchise out and we wouldn't get that exciting transition period between seasons 3 and 4 where all the fans can have fun speculating.
Oct 3, 2012 2:28 AM
Jun 2012
hope accel world will have a 2nd season.
Oct 3, 2012 4:20 AM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:

2 episodes per volume is the most common format, although there are cases with 1 episode or 3 episodes in one volume.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

About Dog Days it's just my personal opinion. I scored S2 the ame as S2 but they could make much better. The thing is that every season of Nanoha ad twice more sales than previous one while DD is dropping which is common for sequels. If they don't make smth radically new for S3 — it would make 4K at best.

The drop in sales for Dog Days from S1 to S2 is surprisingly small. In fact really really small for a sequel. If we compare the first week sales of vol.1 Season 1 sold 9627 copies while Season 2 sold 9196 copies, which means a drop of <5%!! Even Dog Days fans were happily surprised by its strength of keeping up the sales (for a reasonably good 2nd season which has substantially less sales, just look at Ika-Musume where we are talking of a drop of over 50%). Fans do not necessarily look for things "radically new". Anime that comes with a 4th season, like Minami-ke or Hidamari Sketch, does not come with radically new thing in it. From what I read from fan comments, they actually appreciate consistency as much as freshness.

For Nanoha, every Nanoha fan (at least those in Japan) expects Nanoha Vivio will be animated. The question is just When....

GregZor9 said:

It seemed like so many English speaking fans were torn with season 2 complaining that it was terrible because of a lack of any conflict. I wasn't sure what Japanese fans felt about it

I often see fans from the west complain about "lack of conflict" in anime. On the other hand, fans in Japan seem to really enjoy an anime without major conflict as long as the situation and interactions between characters are enjoyable enough. I think it all goes back to the debate about the merits of "slice-of-life" anime. Personally I agree with most fans who enjoy Season 2 that the first season sometimes looks a bit uncomfortable with the balance between serious conflict with strong emotion and the happy and relaxing everyday fun -- and S2 came out all the better because it decisively got rid of the first and expanded on the second.
symbvOct 3, 2012 4:56 AM

Oct 3, 2012 4:26 AM

Sep 2011
@Symbv
and who exactly is going to buy a volume with one episode? lol, sounds like a rip-off, unless it's an OVA of course.
Oct 3, 2012 4:41 AM

Oct 2007
@GregZor9, thanks for the info.

Downgrade355 said:
@Symbv
and who exactly is going to buy a volume with one episode? lol, sounds like a rip-off, unless it's an OVA of course.
It's natural that people want to have complete series. Also, there's more to DVD/BD than just episodes - there are specials, creditless ops/eds, songs, interviews with staff...
Oct 3, 2012 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
@Symbv

Besides what Prgeusz already said, 1 episode in 1 volume can also mean much cheaper price, which can mean it is easier to sell than the more expensive 2-episode package. And if this 1 episode volume happens to be the first volume, it can even create the image that the series is selling very well -- it may succeed in generating attention. And anyway, more people buying the first volume (because it is cheaper) means more potential customers who may come to buy the subsequent volumes if they like what they saw in the first volume. Examples of series with first volume of BD having only one episode include AKB0048, for a very recent anime, or Papa no iu koto wo kikinasai and Working!! season1 for something a bit older.
symbvOct 3, 2012 4:57 AM

Oct 3, 2012 5:40 AM

Oct 2007
@jmal, do you wait until whole show is released or import disc by disc? AFAIK shipping is very expensive...
Oct 3, 2012 5:55 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
As symbv notes, they at least tend to be discounted somewhat to compensate, though generally not by half..

Sometimes the price indeed comes close to a per-episode price that is fairly consistent regardless of how many episodes in one volume. For example, AKB0048 has just one episode in vol.1 but three episodes in vol.2 -- the rack price for vol.1 is 2100 Yen and for vol.2 it is 7350 Yen, making it 2450 Yen per episode. In this case, vol.1 is being sold at a discount even in terms of per episode price (its per episode price is set at 88% compared with vol.2)

Oct 3, 2012 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
Progeusz said:
Is it because of not enough source material? Some other reason? Personally, 1cour shows start to tire me, I want more 3+ cour shows that aren't kiddy shounen or family comedy.

The subject was brought up in the anime industry from time to time. The main reason is concern of risk and also the logistical concern (getting enough staff resource, TV slots etc) for a long series. Midnight anime is a lot less likely than having big sponsor who may want to sell some plastic model for shounen shows, girl plaything for shoujo shows and even mainstream sponsors like utensil makers or housecleaning material for family comedy, all of these are aired in daytime or evening time and usually has very strong viewer base (or fan base of the original manga if it is adapted from a shounen manga) to count on. In fact, sometimes we even see anime adapted from shounen manga got thrown into midnight time slot (e.g. Ika-Musume and Kuroko no Basuke). The initial investment is usually tight for midnight anime. The common view is that it is very unlikely you would have shows that are more than 2 cours long these days for a midnight anime. You may want to be braced for seeing those "tiring" 1-cour shows still in dominance in the foreseeable future.

Oct 3, 2012 4:11 PM
Sep 2011
Dog days sold 666 copies, I think someone up there is trying to tell us something.
Oct 3, 2012 4:16 PM

Feb 2012
edl01 said:
Dog days sold 666 copies, I think someone up there is trying to tell us something.

6,666 not 666 :D
Oct 3, 2012 9:37 PM

Sep 2009
@symbv

My bad. I didn't count DVD's this time. But lets wait till all the volumes came out and look how average sales would be
Oct 3, 2012 9:41 PM

Nov 2008
I wonder if Dog Days will have another side story manga like with what happened last season, that was a fun experience.

Oct 4, 2012 1:26 AM

Aug 2012
C'mon More Campione! sales ":( Season 2 is needed haha.
Oct 4, 2012 8:55 AM

Jan 2010
Beelzebub vol.16
wow O__o
Oct 4, 2012 8:58 AM

Feb 2010
wow hyouka
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Oct 4, 2012 11:56 PM

Jan 2011
Hagure is doing bad because it is terrible. I rarely drop shows but that sucker got dropped.

Binbougami ga! Fight!!!

Thank God Horizon is doing so well. S3...I'll see you soon enough.
Oct 5, 2012 2:07 AM
Apr 2011
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
Holy shit this is bad.

Kono naka imouto selling more that Hagure Yuusha? ........ 'mkay
Akatsuki THE BOSS vs "I can't believe I already forgot his name" THE TOOL

Arcana Famiglia, Entirely filler. I'm on episode 9 and still no Arcana Duel?
The sales are bad, but still, those numbers are too high.

Actually, the so-called fillers presented in Arcana Famiglia anime aren't fillers. They are actually materials from the otome visual novel, that is until episode 9;
I guess when the audience sees mafias and a battle everyone assumes that this is an action anime which clearly isn't. In my opinion, the company who made the Arcana Famiglia anime made the atmosphere of the anime a bit too shouneny when it should be shoujo.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.