Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sep 24 - 30

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 2, 2012 3:19 AM

Jan 2012
Downgrade355 said:
Ejc said:

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I looked at some past data from this year and last year, and it does seem that anime with significant female backing has definitely better DVD sales than is normally expected. I would back that claim too.

Yeah, as you noticed the DVD sales of KnB are slightly higher than BD's, some female-oriented anime sell only on DVD, and most sell significantly higher on DVD than BD, so it's safe to assume that there are slightly more female KnB anime consumers than males, although only a small gap.
That is if our theory is correct lol.

I honestly don't remember the last time I laughed as hard as this
Oct 2, 2012 3:29 AM

Sep 2011
Oh look, it's jmal. lol took you long enough to show up.

Btw Jmal, since you're here, do you think dog days will get a second week?
Oct 2, 2012 3:38 AM
Sep 2012
So was there a BD release of Hakuoki (the DVD chart and the summer series sales chart have different numbers)?
Oct 2, 2012 3:39 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
Oh wow I didn't even notice at first... ouch for Hakuouki Reimeiroku! Fans must have abandoned this season in droves, even though if you ask me it was the best of the three. I have no idea why the sales would plummet like this. It can't be the BDs making up the slack either, since they are probably around 1k... even 2k would leave this at half or less of the vol. 1 sales of previous releases.

Lol i guess you missed my post, anyway i was just asking if Dog days might be getting a second week?
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 3:51 AM
Oct 2, 2012 4:14 AM

Oct 2007
*3, 6,666 *6,666 Dog Days' vol.1 Limited Edition
Demon Lord is happy! So am I.
2.5k more in DVDs... it should easily get past 10k with second week's data. Third season where?

Hyouka stays strong, it sells better than Accel World now - 8173 vs 8079 even though it's vol. 4 vs vol. 3. I am happy both of those do well.

As I thought, Nyarlko's dropping in sales, almost like its quality in consecutive episodes Such a shame, beginning was great but later on gags quickly got old.

Hell Yeah, Horizon II, now we are talking about strong second week, F/Z barely beat it.

lol @ MuvLuv, back then we thought it would rival Horizon...

AKB0048 vol. 4 BD sold less than 3.068 :( We really need Thursdays' list, there are Jinrui's and YuruYuri's second weeks there as well.
Oct 2, 2012 4:33 AM

Nov 2007
jmal said:
We really need Thursdays' list, there are Jinrui's and YuruYuri's second weeks there as well.

I wish the Thursday lists were easier to find. At least I can track updates on the wiki. That better not ever go away...

I did see the current Summer 2012 sales list on 2ch by chance, last Thursday, that had Horizon II, Tari Tari, Yuru Yuri ♪♪ and Moyashimon Returns, with new additions of LagRin II and Bimbougami ga! from Thursday's list. I might've missed a few, but that are the ones I remember that was on the list.

I don't think the full last Thursday list was posted on 2ch at all. Maybe we all missed it, lol. I guess I should make an account on Mania, sometime...
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Oct 2, 2012 5:08 AM

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:

*3, 24,886 24,886 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Series vol.3 Shintaro & Kazunari
*4, 17,173 17,173 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Duet CD Reiji & Ranmaru, Ai & Camus
*9, *9,407 *9,407 Ono Daisuke "Lunar Maria"
16, *3,697 15,181 Tiger & Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning "Linear Blue wo Kikinagara"

Nice~

Wow, UtaPri CD with a nice result!!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 2, 2012 5:24 AM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Progeusz said:
Hell Yeah, Horizon II, now we are talking about strong second week, F/Z barely beat it.

This is the second best first week sales of the Horizon franchise, which is pretty great. Also the best 2-week sales of any volume. Good stuff, I loved the second season and started importing it (didn't import the first, will grab the eventual BD box).
Wow, that's really impressive. I doubt it will sell as much as first vol of Horizon 1 but it might be possible for other volumes to sell slightly better than their counterparts and achieve similar average, right? That would be an exceptional incident.

Browsing wiki - one more reason why I should start seriously learning Japanese...

As of now, I'm patiently waiting for more data. This stuff is surprisingly exciting and interesting.

e: typo
ProgeuszOct 2, 2012 6:12 AM
Oct 2, 2012 5:35 AM

Jun 2011
Poor Sunrise... Binbougani ga!!!! D:
Nice number for Dog Days' BD, 6666.
No suprise on rank 14 to 19 on the temporal summer sales.
Oct 2, 2012 6:57 AM

Jan 2012
Grats to Tari Tari KoiChoco, accel world and bleach but really Arcana Famiglia? I had to refresh the screen 5 times and clean my specs thoroughly before believing that i saw that
Oct 2, 2012 7:30 AM

Apr 2010
Arcana Famiglia is actually selling better than I expected. I thought it would sell under 2k for both DVD and BDs combined.

Oct 2, 2012 7:44 AM

May 2008
*4, Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Duet CD Reiji & Ranmaru, Ai & Camus

Yes good. <333

Oct 2, 2012 7:49 AM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Arcana Famiglia is actually selling better than I expected. I thought it would sell under 2k for both DVD and BDs combined.

I can certainly say I didn't expect Arcana and Hakuouki to be this close (relatively speaking). The Stalker estimate didn't underestimate Hakuouki nearly as much as I expected. I thought it was a lock to at least double it (with 5.2k DVDs), and just as likely triple it. Really wonder what caused such a drop in sales. The lowest first week of any prior volume in either season was 9,284. Even it being split DVD and BD this season doesn't seem to explain it, because I doubt BDs sold well at all. They have to be under 3k at best.

Well I don't watch the show so I'm not sure if theres any issues with the quality itself, but maybe the Fujoshi just moved on from it? With all the major fujoshi titles that have come out recently, Hakouki might just be one of those titles that have been forgotten now.

Oct 2, 2012 8:08 AM

Nov 2008
Both Kuroko no Basket dvd and manga been selling well if it continue like that we might get to see a second season.
Oct 2, 2012 8:19 AM

Feb 2012
Horizon, Hyouka and Haganai. Woot!

Bummed that Hagure bombed pretty hard. No season 2 I guess :(
Oct 2, 2012 8:39 AM

Sep 2010
Just waiting for the inevitable Kuroko season 2 announcement.

I really want to hear the character duets need to download them sometime.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 2, 2012 8:51 AM

Aug 2007
Nothing interesting this time. At least for me
Oct 2, 2012 9:00 AM

Nov 2010
Dog days doing well. LOL @6666.

MuvLuv can't rival horizon at all like some people estimated months ago, but I guess 6.2k is already good for two cour - low budget series. Dunno if it's enough for guarantee to animate the main series, though.

Some heavy-fanservice oriented anime doing pretty bad this season and almost all of >3k series this season are relatively low in fanservice. Should we take this as a signal?
Oct 2, 2012 9:04 AM

Nov 2008
Dog Days FTW

3rd season announcement please

Oct 2, 2012 9:08 AM

Sep 2009
What's the problem with Saterlight. They got enough profit with some latest projects but AKB0048 and Total Eclipse are very low-budget while they could make smth really great and profitable out of this.

And I prefer to see new Nanoha season, not another Dog Days cause in S2 they lighted the concept even more wich is not for my taste.
Oct 2, 2012 10:57 AM

Dec 2011
Mr_Gutts said:
Both Kuroko no Basket dvd and manga been selling well if it continue like that we might get to see a second season.

Roloko said:

lol guys its already been announced a while ago...its apparently coming next spring~
Oct 2, 2012 11:01 AM

Feb 2010
Asakurabaka said:
Mr_Gutts said:

Roloko said:

lol guys its already been announced a while ago...its apparently coming next spring~

REALLY?
I will need a source on this before I burst into uncontrollable joy!
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 2, 2012 11:05 AM

Mar 2010
all the good things this season are up there in some way, except kokoro connect, though i guess that's to be expected :/
Oct 2, 2012 11:08 AM

Dec 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Asakurabaka said:

Roloko said:

REALLY?
I will need a source on this before I burst into uncontrollable joy!

lol yeah please do, don't take my word for it since I've heard it also might be due to change Dx
Oct 2, 2012 11:36 AM
Feb 2012
No Kuroko Basket it's not confirmed for a second season, the advertisement that said it was airing on 04/2013 was a fake.

It was just the old SJ advertisement announcing the first season airing date (04/2012) and someone just did a shitty photoshop job trying to change the year to 2013.
Oct 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Jun 2011
Still no announcement for Kuroko no Basket season 2 despite the sales? ):
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2012 12:05 PM

Sep 2011
*1, 21,176 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II

Season 3 please. Dog Days S3 also please.
Oct 2, 2012 12:11 PM

May 2012
So, in the list, what does the first number mean compared to the second, like in
9,211 *9,211 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Add-on Disc
Oct 2, 2012 12:56 PM

Oct 2010
I'm pretty sure Kuroko's "Duet Character Song Shintaro & Kazunari" sold that much (nearly 25k, almost as much as the Kuroko and Kise duet) because the recent manga chapters are focusing on these guys. Smart move on the marketing's part IMO, the character duet song was released right away after Midorima and Takao become the manga's chapter focus, no wonder if it sells that much.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Oct 2, 2012 1:30 PM
Feb 2012
arilando said:
So, in the list, what does the first number mean compared to the second, like in
9,211 *9,211 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Add-on Disc

The sales of the respective week (read: this one) and the overall sales. For example Horizon sold 3k copies this week but overall it's been over 20k.

Concerning the sales- I'm satisfied. I expected the likes of Koi to Senkyo and Who is Imouto to fare better but oh well, what can you do?
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 2, 2012 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:

Perhaps, but if so it's a pretty sudden shift in taste. The OVA series ended only last November and averaged about 16k through vol. 5. The sixth volume which only came out this June did sell less, at 9.6k, but I assumed that simply reflected the fact that it's the only volume that didn't spotlight one of the Shinsengumi guys (it focused on the one oni dude).

Hmm. Did women like having a female protagonist that much? It seems like most of the women who watched Hakuouki hated Chizuru, so I can't imagine that's it.

Maybe there was no female heroine to identify themselves with? i dunno, the third hakuoki tossed the whole reverse-harem idea and maybe that had something to do with it?
that or maybe they've been saving up for all these shoujos airing? lol.
Oct 2, 2012 4:18 PM
Nov 2010
j0x said:
Accel World is maintaining profitable sales very good news for the possibility of season 2
very nice
Oct 2, 2012 5:01 PM

Sep 2012
On Tuesday, in 2ch there were a last call for guesses for this week's BD/DVD sales, and those fans made it really close
The guess for Dog Days was 9000-10000 (hit); Total Eclipse was 5000-6000 (slightly below) while JoshiRaku was 4000-5000 (hit too)

jmal said:
I can certainly say I didn't expect Arcana and Hakuouki to be this close (relatively speaking). The Stalker estimate didn't underestimate Hakuouki nearly as much as I expected. I thought it was a lock to at least double it (with 5.2k DVDs), and just as likely triple it. Really wonder what caused such a drop in sales.

Arcana definitely did better than expected, at least it was how 2ch reacted. The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females. They underestimated Kuroko for example, and they did not sense that Tiger & Bunny was such a smash for fujoshi until relatively late. Arcana is not a big hit like Kuroko or T&B, but again we are having underestimation by male otaku about what anime pulls in female buyers.

Actually I estimated Hakuouki to have <5k in sales, but still I did not expect it would be this low. Right at the beginning of the season, I even put it as a candidate for the "4 best" for the season based on its track record (the 4 best I tipped was SAO, Horizon2, Hakuouki, Tari Tari) but as the season progressed I found not so much mention of Hakuouki even among the female Japanese bloggers and I started to adjust my estimate downwards. Still this result is even more pathetic than the infamous drop seen in the 2nd season of Ika-musume or Milky Holmes. Oh well.

zeroyuki92 said:

MuvLuv can't rival horizon at all like some people estimated months ago, but I guess 6.2k is already good for two cour - low budget series. Dunno if it's enough for guarantee to animate the main series, though.

6.4k is good figure for FIRST VOLUME. However, many guess the sales would drop quite a bit because
- The first 2 episodes have much better sakuga particularly action animation than all the remaining episodes. Those 2 episodes were so costly in time and resource that they had to change the director from ep.3 on to salvage the progress. The story also shifted in tone from a deadly serious (even gory) tone after the first 2 episodes
- The marketing has pushed very hard a campaign called "Ikkan Nikan Budokan" in which customers who buy both vol.1 (ikkan) and vol.2 (nikan) can apply for a ticket to an event to be held in the famous Budokan (and that would cost money). Given the venue, the expectation is that it is not just an ordinary anime seiyuu event but something more.

What I heard is that the main series is much more difficult to animate because of its gory material as well as the potential animation cost - unlike Alternative Total Eclipse which happens mostly behind the main battle line, the main series is about the front line which means a lot more actions happen. So the decision is to animate this spinoff novel instead.

zeroyuki92 said:

Some heavy-fanservice oriented anime doing pretty bad this season and almost all of >3k series this season are relatively low in fanservice. Should we take this as a signal?

One thing that many anime fans, Japan or overseas, are prone to say is: such-and-such anime sells because it is fanservice/moe anime. In fact history shows it is really not the case, and this season's result should remind everyone about this again. A fairer approach is to say that a fanservice or harem anime, if done competently (meaning the character design is good enough, the MC is not hard to identify, or the story is not too messed up), has a bottom for its sales, but it is hard to say how much is that bottom is, some say 2000 some say 2500, but anyway it is not high and is below the manabu (breakeven) line.

We have yet to see the full figures for the fanservice / harem anime as this week there are too many competitors. It is still possible that some titles may make it beyond 3k though.

Nachtwandler_21 said:
What's the problem with Saterlight. They got enough profit with some latest projects but AKB0048 and Total Eclipse are very low-budget while they could make smth really great and profitable out of this.

I would not say AKB0048 is very low-budget though. To me it does not look particularly low budget compared to standard midnight anime stuff like Rinne no Lagrange or even Aquarion EVOL, another Satelight product. As for Total Eclipse, bear in mind that it is not 100% Satelight's work -- the anime is a joint effort of Satelight and ixtl.

Nachtwandler_21 said:

And I prefer to see new Nanoha season, not another Dog Days cause in S2 they lighted the concept even more wich is not for my taste.

Most fans credit the lightening of tone for making Dog Days 2 a big success. Apparently they all think that the serious part in season 1 was not necessary. Besides, the sakuga has improved quite a bit while the story covers quite a bit more amusing situations. The squirrel race, the ancestors and the heavy presence of Rebecca all got big thumbs up from fans. On the other hand, they wish there were more Leo and Nanami in this season. The ending of S2 clearly paves the way for a third encounter, and I am sure it will come (so is Yuru Yuri S3). The fan base is this strong.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2012 5:58 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:

Arcana definitely did better than expected, at least it was how 2ch reacted. The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females. They underestimated Kuroko for example, and they did not sense that Tiger & Bunny was such a smash for fujoshi until relatively late. Arcana is not a big hit like Kuroko or T&B, but again we are having underestimation by male otaku about what anime pulls in female buyers.

Wait hold on, you're not assuming that whole KnB's 22k and T&B whole 27k is fujoshi, are you?
It's not that they have little idea, it's that the animes were not intended for the fujoshi, so it's natural to think that way, or are you telling me that a mainstream Shounen and Seinen would actually target a small niche market, with bad reputation at that? These pointless assumptions are ridiculous, you're expecting people to go "Oh, a basketball sports Shounen anime, must be for those fujoshi" or "Hey look, a seinen anime about superheroes, must be for those fujoshi", do you see how stupid that sounds?

i bet when Psycho Pass and Magi start selling and those fujosh start drawing fanarts you people (those who make pointless assumptions) would definitely say the exact same thing, "Oh magi? you should thank fujoshi for the sales", "Psycho pass? screw the action and guns and all the relevant stuff, look at the artstyle man, it's definitely for fujoshi", i swear, i can totally imagine that happening.
actually, maybe those gender-bendered K-on fanarts are proof those sales are thanks to the fujoshi, who knows, maybe other people who watch anime had no interest in it.

And it's not "male otaku", it's anime fans in general female otaku, male otaku, aliens, no seriously, male otaku aren't the only ones that watch anime.

Don't make people feel uncomfortable about watching and buying an anime with these empty thoughts, dammit.

sorry for the rant y'all,it's just these stupid arguements tick me the hell off and they never end.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:21 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
well isn't Haganai selling well O_O
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 2, 2012 6:23 PM

Apr 2010
Downgrade355 said:
symbv said:

Wait hold on, you're not assuming that whole KnB's 22k and T&B whole 27k is fujoshi, are you?
It's not that they have little idea, it's that the animes were not intended for the fujoshi, so it's natural to think that way, or are you telling me that a mainstream Shounen and Seinen would actually target a small niche market, with bad reputation at that? These pointless assumptions are ridiculous, you're expecting people to go "Oh, a basketball sports Shounen anime, must be for those fujoshi" or "Hey look, a seinen anime about superheroes, must be for those fujoshi", do you see how stupid that sounds?

i bet when Psycho Pass and Magi start selling and those fujosh start drawing fanarts you people (those who make pointless assumptions) would definitely say the exact same thing, "Oh magi? you should thank fujoshi for the sales", "Psycho pass? screw the action and guns and all the relevant stuff, look at the artstyle man, it's definitely for fujoshi", i swear, i can totally imagine that happening.
actually, maybe those gender-bendered K-on fanarts are proof those sales are thanks to the fujoshi, who knows, maybe other people who watch anime had no interest in it.

And it's not "male otaku", it's anime fans in general female otaku, male otaku, aliens, no seriously, male otaku aren't the only ones that watch anime.

Don't make people feel uncomfortable about watching and buying an anime with these empty thoughts, dammit.

sorry for the rant y'all,it's just these stupid arguements tick me the hell off and they never end.

Fact is, it IS the women who buy them. Thats all that matters. The last Comiket had more KnB doujins (all yaoi obviously) than anything not named Touhou... would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai with tons of doujins isn't aimed at guys?
RyanSaotomeOct 2, 2012 6:29 PM

Oct 2, 2012 6:34 PM

Sep 2011
RyanSaotome said:

Fact is, it IS the women who buy them. Thats all that matters. The last Comiket had more KnB doujins (all yaoi obviously) than anything not named Touhou... would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai with tons of doujins isn't aimed at guys?

That's not a fact, that's an empty assumption, and since when did fanarts have anything to do with the anime sales and who buys the anime anyway?
And comiket? You either have been on a fujoshi blog full of C82 pictures, or you've read some article about the First day of Comiket. Because the recent comikets, from C79 has been predominantly male, Day 1 and day 2 are all rounders (Day 3 was pretty much Hentai only), and there used to be a large number of fujoshi circles, but even then, they barely managed to make like, quarter of Comiket, Day 1 especially.

Touhou isn't even an anime, and has the largest doujin total number of any thing known in the otaku industry, not to mention it was YEARS ago, KnB is new. how would you explain that?

"would you think a totally otaku anime like Haganai" That's exactly the point, it's OBVIOUSLY aimed at otaku, and it's labeled seinen, and everything about it says it's an Otaku anime. What's KnB and T&B's excuse?

Also, SAO had alot more Doujins than KnB, from what i've seen in Toranoana, Hyouka sold alot less than KnB and almost has just as much.

To put it simply, that 22K you see right there isn't "women" or "fujoshi", everyone had a hand in it, Women, Fujoshi, otaku, female viewers, male viewers, maybe aliens too. People don't buy BD's/DVD's to draw fanarts, they buy them for collection's sake and to re-watch them when they feel like it.

and if anyone here is seriously going to use Comiket and Doujins as an argument then you might aswell check Toranoana first.

good lord man, i never thought trivial crap like this would provoke many arguments.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:52 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:

Of course, NOT the whole, but there is noteworthy presence of fujoshi customers for those anime, and people in 2ch did not talk much about fujoshi and when the evidence showed that they were popular with fujoshi people those people expressed surprise.
Downgrade355 said:

You should say that to those otaku expressing those surprise at 2ch, not to me. I am not the person who said those anime should not be popular with fujoshi. In fact, I would say that T&B was designed with some intention to draw in female otaku and fujoshi, with all the kakkoii male characters and bromance concept. All I wanted to say is that many male otaku think very little about what draws in fujoshi or non-BL female anime fans.

Downgrade355 said:

At least fans in 2ch know about Magi and know that there are substantial number of female readers for the manga, so they would expect a certain proportion of fans coming from female gender. One thing though -- not all female anime fans are fujoshi. I tend to think that female readers of Magi are not fujoshi.

Downgrade355 said:

Note what I said, I said male otaku are the main residents in 2ch. That's it. Since when did I say only male otaku watch anime?? Of course I know anime watchers include more than male otaku, though the mainstay of midnight anime is still male otaku.

Downgrade355 said:

You are firing without aiming anyway LOL.

And your mocking and smug tone does not help to make your case better either.
symbvOct 2, 2012 6:50 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 2, 2012 6:49 PM

Sep 2011
If it's substantial then why make a fuss as if fujoshi are the only ones watching it and buying it when it's blatantly, painfully obvious that it's not the case?

And of COURSE they'd express surprise, mainstream genre -> draws in small niche market who it wasn't intended for, anyone would be surprised.

Lol, right, because when they decide to make an anime about friendship and strong male leads, they're thinking about targeting fujoshi, because fujoshi are the only creatures on earth that are interested in those, and Studios don't care about the wide demographics, they only care about the niche small ones who draw fanarts of their products.

It doesn't matter where, you're generalising and making assumptions. i believe your "LOL" doesn't help the case either.

Let's see where this argument goes, i hope it won't be like last time with you and your Oretama.
Downgrade355Oct 2, 2012 6:57 PM
Oct 2, 2012 6:57 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
If it's substantial then why make a fuss as if fujoshi are the only ones watching it?

Where did I say fujoshi are the only ones watching it?

I said "The thing is male otaku (who are the main residents in 2ch forums) have little idea of what anime is popular with females."

Downgrade355 said:

Lol, right, because when they decide to make an anime about friendship and strong male leads, they're thinking about targeting fujoshi, because fujoshi are the only creatures on earth that are interested in those.

It doesn't matter where, you're generalising and making assumptions.

Again I want to stress that there are fujoshi and there are non-fujoshi female otaku. It makes sense to assume that handsome male leads can appeal to female fans, fujoshi or otherwise, just like it makes sense to assume that pretty female leads appeal to male fans. Also it is not as if T&B was written only to target fujoshi (or non-fujoshi female fans). Different elements are added to target different types of fans, for example there are elements for superhero fans, tokusatsu fans or just those fans who like the shounen type of exciting battles.

And the idea friendship appeals to all sectors. It also makes sense to assume that strong friendship between female characters appeal to yuri fans and strong friendship between male characters appeal to yaoi fans. This is reason assumption.

Oct 2, 2012 6:59 PM
Oct 2011
symbv said:
At least fans in 2ch know about Magi and know that there are substantial female readers for the manga, so they would expect a certain proportion of fans coming from female gender. One thing though -- not all female anime fans are fujoshi. I tend to think that female readers of Magi are not fujoshi.
There's nothing really other than the art that could make fujoshi go wild in Magi, Magi is mostly action with a deep themes about politics, economics, slavery and stuff like that, nothing to appeal for the fujoshi there.

About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading it too. Just sayin'.
Candor123Oct 2, 2012 7:09 PM
Oct 2, 2012 7:06 PM

Sep 2011
Well from what you were implying, that's the impression i got, and it's not just you, some people lately really have no clue what they're saying.

Dude, like i said, Male otaku aren't the only ones who think like that, most people would not expect a mainstream anime to be popular with a niche market group, especially when the anime isn't intended for them.

I've said this many times before, many people use the term to describe any female otaku as "fujoshi", if you were to label each one of them based on their preferences then it would be alot more complicated to guess who did and who didn't buy the BD, but generally female viewers make up a considerable part of the buyers.

"Different elements are added to target different types of fans, for example there are elements for superhero fans, tokusatsu fans or just those fans who like the shounen type of exciting battles"
Exactly, which is why assuming that those specific animes are popular with "fujoshi" ignoring everyone else is plain ignorant, especially when the focus of anime, for example T&B is the whole superhero thing, exciting battles, superpowers and the typical shounen/seinen stuff.

Yeah it would make sense, but you're saying that friendship and bromance = automatically fujoshi audience. that's like saying friend chicken = black people (Just using it as an example).

Candor said:

About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading it too. Just sayin'.

i guess you couldn't stand watching this hilarity, eh?
Oct 2, 2012 7:15 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
Yeah it would make sense, but you're saying that friendship and bromance = automatically fujoshi audience. that's like saying friend chicken = black people (Just using it as an example).

My argument goes the other way round. It is: The anime is popular with fujoshi, why is that? The element of male friendship and bromance seem to be one big reason. At the end if an anime is particularly popular with a particular group of fans (e.g. fujoshi) it makes sense to think about what might have caused this to happen.

Candor said:
About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading/watching it too. Just sayin'.

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.

Oct 2, 2012 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
You missed the point man, what pisses me off is when people talk about a specific anime, take T&B for example, and throw around arguments trying to prove that it's popular with fujoshi, who're supposedly a niche market group, ignoring everyone else who's watching and buying it. and i'm sure i'm not the only here who feels this way.

And i wasn't specifically talking to symbv, i was adressing everyone who make those kind of empty assumptions.
Oct 2, 2012 7:17 PM

Sep 2012
jmal, I also watch Precure and I love the current Smile Precure more than any Precure since the first generation.

Downgrade355 said:

That's not really what I said. My argument went the other way round. It is: The anime is popular with fujoshi, why is that? The element of male friendship and bromance seem to be one big reason. At the end if an anime is particularly popular with a particular group of fans (e.g. fujoshi) it makes sense to think about what might have caused this to happen.

Candor said:
About KnB, I saw a Jump survey about the gender of the readers or manga buyers for the manga in Jump. KnB came in the 2nd or 3rd place with around 50-60% percent of female fans, which means not all readers or buyers are females, and normally no one can assume all females are fujoshi. KnB is serialized in a shonen manga, which means shonen/boys are buying it and reading/watching it too. Just sayin'.

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender too. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.
symbvOct 2, 2012 7:38 PM

Oct 2, 2012 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
it's popular with Females, doesn't mean the large majority of consumers are Females, that just means the Female audience happens to be a big part of the viewers. and what part of "niche market group" don't you get? I'll try to explain it as much as i can if you want.

Candor's point was that KnB has a considerably large amount of female readers, he didn't say "most of Kuroko no basket's viewers/readers/buyers are female".
Oct 2, 2012 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:
it's popular with Females, doesn't mean the large majority of consumers are Females, that just means the Female audience happens to be a big part of the viewers. and what part of "niche market group" don't you get? I'll try to
explain it as much as i can if you want.

I did not say the large majority of consumers, of T&B or anime as a whole, are female. And I doubt jmal means that either. Not sure whom you are trying to argue with?

Downgrade355 said:
You missed the point man, what pisses me off is when people talk about a specific anime, take T&B for example, and throw around arguments trying to prove that it's popular with fujoshi, who're supposedly a niche market group, ignoring everyone else who's watching and buying it. and i'm sure i'm not the only here who feels this way.

At least I did not "try to prove that it is popular with fujoshi" because it is a widely accepted fact already that T&B is popular with fujoshi. On the other hand, the fact that it is popular with fujoshi does not preclude the fact that even so most of the buyers and fans are not fujoshi. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of the female fans of T&B are not fujoshi.
symbvOct 2, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2, 2012 7:23 PM
Oct 2011
Downgrade355 said:
Candor said:

i guess you couldn't stand watching this hilarity, eh?
I wanted to reply to magi, but I have some info about KnB so I though why not lol. I searched a bit and found the survey (KnB is in the 4th place with ~60%), here it is:

Girls

1. Haikyuu! Vol. 2 - Girls 66.8% Boys 33.2%

2. Gintama Vol. 45 - Girls 63.8% 36.2%

3. KHR Vol. 39 - Girls 62.4% Boys 37.6%

4. Kuroko No Basuke Vol. 18 - Girls 58.9% Boys 41.1%

5. One Piece Vol. 67 - Girls 51.8% Boys 48.2%

6. Bleach Vol. 55 - Girls 50.7% Boys 49.3%

Boys

1. Nisekoi Vol. 3 - Boys 83.3% Girls 16.7%

2. Kochikame Vol. 181 - Boys 81.8% Girls 18.2%

3. Medaka Box 16 - Boys 74.9% Girls 25.1%

4. Toriko Vol. 20 - Boys 62.7% Girls 37.3%

5. Beelzebub Vol. 17 - Boys 61.2% Girls 38.8%

6. Naruto Vol. 61 - Boys 54.4% Girls 45.6%

symbv said:
Candor said:

Absolutely. Shonen manga has a big part of its readership in the female gender. KnB happens to be one that is particularly popular with female fans; on the other hand surveys usually show that Love Comedy like "Nisekoi" usually has much smaller proportion of fans as female.
Sure but still both genders read those manga, as you can see in the survey above, that's my point.
Candor123Oct 2, 2012 7:27 PM
Oct 2, 2012 7:28 PM

Sep 2011
Like i said, that's the impression i got from your post.

symbv said:
On the other hand, the fact that it is popular with fujoshi does not preclude the fact that even so most of the buyers and fans are not fujoshi. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of the female fans of T&B are not fujoshi.

That was my point from the beginning, why the fuss and going around in circles?
Oct 2, 2012 7:33 PM

Sep 2011
@jmal
if you try reading the first posts, no one even tried to imply that KnB has a male fanbase, everything is "female viewers this" "fujoshi that".

Anyway, now that everything is clear and the fuss is over, can we get over this "discussion" because is no point in continuing further with it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» Netflix Produces 'Hanma Baki vs. Kengan Ashura' Anime Movie

Hyperion_PS - Mar 22

7 by malvarez1 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Kami no Tou' 2nd Season Announces New Staff, Supporting Cast, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Mar 22

2 by malvarez1 »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Houseki no Kuni' Concludes Serialization

Vindstot - Mar 25

30 by GL_ »»
Yesterday, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.