Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2012 12:48 AM

Sep 2012
So She wants me to Get her into Anime, so I was Wondering What would be some Good Suggestions to Get her Started?

Details; Some of her Favorite Shows are Lost & Law And Order, ( and reality shows smh) she likes Mystery & Adventure , Also She said she doesn't Want it to be "Cute" or Kiddish she wants more Adult theme's ( even tho I told her U cant judge a book by its cover in Anime) and looking for something between 12- 24 Episodes give or take, nothing like Bleach or One Piece

and Last but not least is it better if Its Something i have Seen or not? Should i give her something ive seen for Explore something new with her? I really Would Appreciate some help Thankz People
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2012 12:52 AM

Feb 2009
Your avatar. Champloo, Trigun. Maybe a movie like GitS or Akira.
Oct 1, 2012 12:56 AM
Apr 2012
Another was pretty good, in my opinion.
Oct 1, 2012 12:58 AM

Aug 2012
AnimePro said:
Another was pretty good, in my opinion.

Another is a good mystery/thriller.

Maybe Mirai Nikki?
or Steins; Gate.
Oct 1, 2012 1:00 AM
Apr 2012
Both are great as well. Hyouka is another good one.
Oct 1, 2012 1:00 AM

Sep 2012
Ohh forgot to Add this... She Only Wants Series with a Dubbed version....
Oct 1, 2012 1:01 AM
Apr 2012
Low_KeyBased said:

Then there is no hope for your friend. ;~;
Oct 1, 2012 1:02 AM

Aug 2012
AnimePro said:
Low_KeyBased said:

Oh god, why??
WHY?!?!?!
Hope is lost. Abandon ship.
Oct 1, 2012 1:05 AM

Sep 2012
lol No hope at all ? smh ha There gotta be something Dubbed is not that bad at all lol I was not trying to to give her something toooo involved but really enjoyable that she can follow n get into
Oct 1, 2012 1:06 AM

Aug 2012
It's just that dubs are.....horrible. Guranteed.
I guess there are some less horrible ones out there, but I really haven't seen many dubs. Why doesn't she want subs?? The original voice actors convey the emotions and jokes way better.
Oct 1, 2012 1:12 AM

Sep 2012
well I guess She wants it in English becuz she's a Newbie and wants to be able to Comprehend , and Dubs are horrible? lol Maybe ur sample size of Dubs is small.. off the top of my head, Cowboy bebop, Baccano!, Yu Yu Hakusho ,GITS Etc where the Dub is damn near better then the Sub if not is BUT not tryna have that Convo at all lol.. but she said she wants to just find something that interests her
Oct 1, 2012 1:14 AM

Aug 2012
Low_KeyBased said:
well I guess She wants it in English becuz she's a Newbie and wants to be able to Comprehend , and Dubs are horrible? lol Maybe ur sample size of Dubs is small.. off the top of my head, Cowboy bebop, Baccano!, Yu Yu Hakusho ,GITS Etc where the Dub is damn near better then the Sub if not is BUT not tryna have that Convo at all lol.. but she said she wants to just find something that interests her

lol it's just my opinion. For me, I just can't stand dubs. anyhow, Im not here to criticize dubs.

Story-wise, I'd say Another, Mirai Nikki and Steins; Gate. As for ones that have good dubs, I have no clue. :/
Oct 1, 2012 1:16 AM
Mar 2012
Asking why this person wants dubs is irrelevant.

My advice is acknowledge that anime has many different genres and is not intended just for kids. And act as if your series choice is pretty arbitrary.
Even if you really like something, you must realize it's flaws and why you like it, especially if it's target demograph is you. At the same time, it is important that you appreciate western tv. If you dismiss anything as a whole, you're the ignorant one.
Oct 1, 2012 4:21 AM

May 2009
Bible Black. It has adult themes and it's dubbed too.
Oct 1, 2012 4:25 AM

Aug 2012
bergil said:
Bible Black. It has adult themes and it's dubbed too.

^

LOL
Oct 1, 2012 4:55 AM

Jul 2011
Low_KeyBased said:

Dubbed... really don't waste time on those :P

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 1, 2012 5:34 AM

Feb 2012
Black Lagoon if she doesn't want something childish.

Hidden_Joker said:
Story-wise, I'd say Another, Mirai Nikki and Steins; Gate. As for ones that have good dubs, I have no clue. :/

I'm not anti dubs at all but, I FORBID the viewing of Steins;Gate dubbed it's absolutely 100% a failure. Again I'm not against dubs but, it's just so bad it can't be handled...
Oct 1, 2012 5:45 AM

Jun 2011
MidnightPride said:

Hidden_Joker said:

I'm not anti dubs at all but, I FORBID the viewing of Steins;Gate dubbed it's absolutely 100% a failure. Again I'm not against dubs but, it's just so bad it can't be handled...

Really? I've seen a couple of minutes of it and the dub wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't to the level of the original japanese seiyuus, but it was pretty damn decent.

And I'm usually extremely sceptical about dubs.

Oh and to the OP - DO NOT let her watch mirai nikki. Just don't.
Oct 1, 2012 5:47 AM

Feb 2012
onedaysnotice said:
MidnightPride said:

Hidden_Joker said:

Really? I've seen a couple of minutes of it and the dub wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't to the level of the original japanese seiyuus, but it was pretty damn decent.

And I'm usually extremely sceptical about dubs.

Oh and to the OP - DO NOT let her watch mirai nikki. Just don't.

When I watched the first couple episodes of the dub it wasn't particularly bad but, the voices failed to capture the characters correctly. If you've seen the japanese then, you know how the voices were. I think the voices actors in the original were just on another level which was failed to be achieved in english

Ya marai nikki might mind fuck your friend a bit lol
Oct 1, 2012 5:51 AM

Aug 2012
MidnightPride said:

Gotta admit, it prob will...I guess...:/ lol
Oct 1, 2012 5:53 AM

Jun 2011
MidnightPride said:
When I watched the first couple episodes of the dub it wasn't particularly bad but, the voices failed to capture the characters correctly. If you've seen the japanese then, you know how the voices were. I think the voices actors in the original were just on another level which was failed to be achieved in english

Yes, but Steins;Gate is an amazing series no matter the voice track. Since she refuses to watch subbed, the dub is a pretty good compromise. She hasn't heard the original voices yet, so there's no inescapable feeling of comparison.

And I was averse to Mirai Nikki not because of the mind fuckery (there wasn't really any), but because it hardly has the mature plot that the friend is looking for. It really is just violence for the sake of violence.

I say start with the classics first. Then if she starts warming up to anime, that's when you start to phase in subs, and if you want, more laid back/cutesy anime. If Fate/Zero was already dubbed, that would've been an amazing first anime to watch, especially with the current popularity of Game of Thrones and such.

Revenant_Oct 1, 2012 6:02 AM
Oct 1, 2012 6:57 AM

Apr 2011
Force her to watch subs first
Oct 1, 2012 7:26 AM

Jun 2012
Longer than 24 episodes, but I can't imagine someone not liking Death Note. The dub wasn't bad either.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Oct 1, 2012 7:51 AM
Sep 2012
Gunslinger Girl has a decent dub.
Samurai Champloo

Off your list maybe Cowboy Bebop or Ergo Proxy.

Steins; Gate isn't finished yet, but I've seen the dub and it's not too bad; won't really matter to someone who hasn't watched the original version.
Oct 1, 2012 7:55 AM
Jul 2012
FMA 2003, Death Note are good for that

Steins;Gate is great but I don't think she should watch it as a first anime, it does have some otaku humor
Oct 1, 2012 7:56 AM

Jun 2011
Tarextherex said:
FMA 2003, Death Note are good for that

Steins;Gate is great but I don't think she should watch it as a first anime, it does have some otaku humor

I second this.
Oct 1, 2012 8:01 AM
Feb 2011
Low_KeyBased said:
So She wants me to Get her into Anime, so I was Wondering What would be some Good Suggestions to Get her Started?

and Last but not least is it better if Its Something i have Seen or not? Should i give her something ive seen for Explore something new with her? I really Would Appreciate some help Thankz People

I think it's better you have seen it already. Don't wanna show her something that looks like a mystery thriller and find out it's actually tentacle hentai. First exposure gone horribly wrong right there. 0_0

Something with a dub huh? Well don't fret too much about that. Once she sees that anime has what she's looking for, (Lost was a train wreck i'm sorry) she'll figure out she needs to start watching subbed on her own.

I suggest Cowboy Bebop, which has an amazing dub. Also since she's into mystery thrillers, totally Monster. Though the dub for it... isn't that great.

It's not really great at all. :/ You know what? This might not be a smart move since she's so new, but perhaps showing her a clip of the villain in Monster with his original Japanese VA would get her interested? I found one that gives a taste of the stuff in the show, but isn't really spoilerish. Ok it kind of is, but nothing major that she or you probably will even remember when you get to that point in the actual story anyway.

If she knows anything about voice acting, like if she works on radio dramas like a friend of mine does, tell her the acting in this particular dub is pretty bad, compared to how seriously the VAs in Japanese take their roles. That alone would convince a fellow voice actor. They get that sort of thing.
Oct 1, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 2009
Monster, thankfully, has a dub which really isn't half-bad though is definitely inferior to the sub. I also think that with the genre's she's looking for it's the perfect match.

Steins;Gate is also a geed mystery/thriller.
Oct 1, 2012 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
Hidden_Joker said:
I guess there are some less horrible ones out there, but I really haven't seen many dubs. Why doesn't she want subs?? The original voice actors convey the emotions and jokes way better.

No dubs are not 'horrible garunteed' . There are plenty of good dubs and I disagree with the jokes thing. GOOD dubs will translate jokes so that they are funny to american audiences. Sorry, but jokes about a Kotatsu go right over my head because I did not grow up in that culture. Translating for the right audience is key in a good dub. I also disagree about the Japanese voice actors conveying the right emotions. This is true in a lot of cases but not all- in fact some dubs convey the emotions MUCH better than the subs, such as Ga-Rei: Zero. Also, I don't think you were around for the time of the REALLY bad dubs, back in the 90's. Save for some gibli films pretty much every dubbed anime from the 90's was dubbed TERRIBLY. Most dubs now are actually pretty good. Funimation does a pretty decent job nowadays because so many people want to voice act so there's more talent to choose from.

It sounds like your friend and I have some similar tastes- Law and Order SVU is one of my favorite shows as well. That and we're both female, so I think I can help you out a bit more than the others here.

For starters, no no no to Another, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, etc. They've got that stupid cutesy anime art style and aren't something to introduce a non-anime fan to. Not to mention at least two of those are fairly sexist series and if she does't watch anime they're just going to drive her away from it.

Have her watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's a long series but you can watch it on and off. The dub is good and I always refer to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as the animated sci-fi version of Law and Order. Trust me, she'll enjoy it.

Ga-Rei: Zero - One of my personal favorites. It's short too, only 11 episodes and has a FANTASTIC dub. Mystery, suspense, drama, etc etc.

Monster is another one. Good dub, only problem is that it's 70 episodes- But she watches stuff like Law and Order so it shouldn't be a problem if you guys watch it on and off. Once again, similar to Law and Order.
AmberlehOct 1, 2012 10:30 AM
Oct 1, 2012 2:43 PM

Sep 2012
Mirai Nikki. My reccomandation to everything !
Oct 1, 2012 3:42 PM

Apr 2011
Make her watch Fate/zero

Give subs a chance, sometime has to be the first. At least the first episode.
Oct 1, 2012 3:47 PM

Oct 2010
i am not sure about series since it has to be dubbed and i have no interest in dubbed shows, so probably just old stuff, but even though it wasn't what you were asking for Blood: the last vampire has quite a bit of english in it, not really a mystery, just a thriller with what i thought a captivating back story, which is not really explained :/
Oct 1, 2012 4:42 PM

Apr 2012
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
Steins;Gate
Akira
Black Lagoon
Perfect Blue
Oct 1, 2012 9:36 PM

Aug 2012
mystery side, there's gosick (which i loved)
thriller side for sure is mirai nikki (i wouldn't start with this lol)
non childish there is black lagoon or hellsing
and general awesome-ness there is death note and steins;gate

sorry i don't one with everything, and i have no clue if there dubbed, as i don't watch dub :p
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Oct 1, 2012 9:38 PM

May 2012
Since she is girl, i would recommend Fruite Basket/ Ouran High School / School Rumble for starters.
Oct 2, 2012 4:09 AM

Sep 2012
o wow. ive actually seen Monster Dubbed all the way thru and I lOVED it i thought the Dub Was Pretty damn good.. if Cowboy bebop is the standard for all dubs, i wouldnt say it was that bad at all p, I mean steve Blum and Crispin freeman can voice every lead male character lol idk when ppl say a dub is bad i question where there judging it from , but i showed her The first Episode of Elfen Lied and Death Note.. She Likes em Both
Oct 2, 2012 8:37 AM

Apr 2009
Cresando said:
Since she is girl, i would recommend Fruite Basket/ Ouran High School / School Rumble for starters.
Seriously? Being a girl does NOT mean that she'll like those shows, and the types of shows/movies that OP posted as her liking means that these would be the LAST things EVER to get her into anime!
Oct 2, 2012 8:52 AM

Jun 2011
Low_KeyBased said:
o wow. ive actually seen Monster Dubbed all the way thru and I lOVED it i thought the Dub Was Pretty damn good.. if Cowboy bebop is the standard for all dubs, i wouldnt say it was that bad at all p, I mean steve Blum and Crispin freeman can voice every lead male character lol idk when ppl say a dub is bad i question where there judging it from , but i showed her The first Episode of Elfen Lied and Death Note.. She Likes em Both

Death Note is a good introductory anime, and one of my favorite dubs. Judging from her tastes, I think that's a good choice.
Oct 2, 2012 10:12 AM

May 2009
Sweetpea said:
Cresando said:
Seriously? Being a girl does NOT mean that she'll like those shows, and the types of shows/movies that OP posted as her liking means that these would be the LAST things EVER to get her into anime!

Feminist alert
Oct 2, 2012 10:34 AM

Apr 2009
bergil said:
Sweetpea said:
Cresando said:

Feminist alert

Or I happened to read the opening post :D
Oct 2, 2012 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
bergil said:
Sweetpea said:
Cresando said:

Feminist alert

Uh, no. I'm with Sweetpea here- In fact I almost always tend to agree with Sweetpea.

There are some things that you can take gender into account for, such as harem bullcrap, but you need to look at what the OP said she likes. He specified mystery, drama, suspense, etc. and said "She doesn't want something cutesy".

Also, School Rumble is a shounen romance. Just to clarify that, Cresando.
Oct 2, 2012 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
maybe you can try Another, Stein;Gate, Mirai Nikki, Kamisama no memochou... this anime will drain your brain
or something more reality like uchuu kyoudai...
Oct 2, 2012 12:06 PM
Aug 2012
Well I don't know if she will like it, but here are some anime's I like(d)

- Sword art online
- Mirai Nikki
- Elfen lied (would not recommend this one xD)
- Accel World
- Deadman Wonderland (Much blood in it)
- Death Note

EDIT: Don't know if they all are dubbed, I hate eng dub personally
Oct 2, 2012 12:42 PM

Jul 2012
AnimePro said:
Low_KeyBased said:

lol all i watch is dubbed and nothing else look at my list.
Oct 2, 2012 12:52 PM

Apr 2011
If he/she refuses to watch an anime that you suggest, then just give up.
Oct 2, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2009
You have acording to your list already seen Death Note, and that show is always worth a rewatch. So why not? Death Note is the anime that lead me away from watching shounen all the time, and made me look for more "advanced" anime.

Also, in my opinion watching an on going show might be the way to go. The new season starts now, so if you give it a week or something you can watch one episode together every week. However, this is based on luck, if the show turns out to be bad, she might turn out not liking anime without giving it another try.

So I'd go for Death Note, or another anime that you like, and you're sure she'd like. Good luck! :)
Oct 2, 2012 3:16 PM
Mar 2010
Death Note. Can someone truly walk away from this anime and hate it?

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Oct 2, 2012 3:22 PM
Jul 2012
Death note will work
Oct 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Jan 2012
Death Note( not watched it myself, but the manga is amazing)¨
Code Geass, Guilty crown & Darker than black( all on my favorites list, and don't think any of them are too "cute or childish")
Hyouka, i really liked it, but you should read the plot beforehand:)
Mirai Nikki and Steins:Gate(both really amazing)
Oct 3, 2012 11:41 AM

Aug 2012
Hidden_Joker said:
They're not bad it just depends on the anime but a lot of them are good.

Tell her to watch Durarara!!, Death Note and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia. they all have good dubs.
???????
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
10 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.