Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2012 1:23 PM
Feb 2012
Looks promising...had an interesting start to the show. I look forward to seeing how it develops. Hopefully it turns out well :)
Sep 30, 2012 1:24 PM

Aug 2012
The art level of this series is half the reason I watched this episode. It turned out pretty well but it worries me quite a bit with the hints of the 'dark side.' I'm hoping that the "missing" or "lost" people are just being exiled and are still alive, and to that end, I hope that the main girl meets her sister/brother at some point. That said; if anyone does have to get killed, It should be that one boy who talks too much.

I also wouldn't mind if romance was in the anime, yuri or not. I'm usually a fan of romance and the main characters are rather adorable so it would be fun to see.

My biggest hope here though is that everyone's okay and they overturn the 'bad guys' system and live in peace and harmony with a 'good end.' ^-^b I hate bad endings honestly and this series seems like it has a high chance of having one.

Sep 30, 2012 1:26 PM

Nov 2007
I think I will enjoy this series a lot. I already liked the premise, the character setup and the interaction between the characters. The idea of CopyCat was a pretty scary thing too, and I really want to know what Saki's mother meant when she said she doesn't want to lose any of her children. Scary stuff is scary.

So there is definitely going to be a time skip. The first hint is that all the male characters have their respective male seiyuus who are yet to perform. This episode's seiyuu were all the female seiyuus. The second hint is one of the PVs that shows Shun and Saki as grownups.

If the follow they novel, which is a finished product, I say we are on for a nice start for the fall anime season.

5/5 for episode 1 and an 8/10 for what I have seen in the first episode for the series as a whole.
shanimebibSep 30, 2012 1:31 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 30, 2012 1:51 PM

Oct 2011
Holy. Freaking. Shit. What an amazing episode, and it sets up perfectly for the rest of the series. I'll be looking forward to how this develops.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2012 1:53 PM

Dec 2010
Interesting first episode
Sep 30, 2012 1:59 PM

Jun 2009
Very confusing but really interesting as well. Need more episodes now! :D
Sep 30, 2012 2:07 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing first episode, now please don't fuck up all that quality like you did with Kuroshitsuji and more importantly Sword Art Online, A-1 Pictures.
Sep 30, 2012 2:12 PM

Jun 2011
I was expecting a SoL anime, but instead I got a horror anime. I'm not complaining, it's better this way. Although, the characters were a tad boring....

4/5
Sep 30, 2012 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
That was very well made. Psychological eeriness.

Let's see how this pans out.
Sep 30, 2012 2:41 PM

Jun 2008
Veronin said:
I have to confess that I don't really understand most of what's going on, though.

Me too. Im hoping for next episode to understand what´s happening...

But I like the art and dark atmosphere, definitely shall keep watching;)

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Sep 30, 2012 3:06 PM

Aug 2011
This seriously isn't hard to understand.
Sep 30, 2012 3:19 PM

May 2012
That was a fine episode.. I really like the background and colors.. looks creepy and dark. hehe...
Sep 30, 2012 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
joshua_mai said:
Lol, this anime scared me and if doesn't even have horror tag *look at Another* .
spoiler ahead: character relationship chart
http://i31.servimg.com/u/f31/11/31/41/30/13484110.jpg

Hearts. Hearts everywhere. LOL
Sep 30, 2012 4:21 PM

Jun 2009
I decided to watch this show without any information or knowledge about it and I can tell you that I'm really interested in thos show. I like the slight dark theme and I hope they will keep it in this series.

The plot seems very good so I hope that this turns out to be a good show. I also hope that they will explain more about what kind of world this show is settled. I'm don't really understand most of the things yet.

Btw Shun was very mysterious in this episode, I wonder what his background is.
Sep 30, 2012 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
DraconisMarch said:

I second this. I don't want to step on any toes, but if you just use your brain going into it then you really can get a good grasp of what's going on. I'd say it holds up better after a rewatch, but that's just me. Also, to the people who started watching without getting an impression from official info, why would you do that? Why would you watch something based solely on your own (possibly) incorrect impressions of the show and its atmosphere?
Sep 30, 2012 5:24 PM

Jul 2009
Either I'm really tired, or I didn't feel much from this anime. It was very 'meh' imo. But it had this eerie feeling that I would often get like in Another. So, episode 2 might be worth a shot.
Sep 30, 2012 6:01 PM

Nov 2008
I really liked the first episode. I'm really looking forward towards the mysteries surrounding this place.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Sep 30, 2012 6:52 PM

Feb 2012
Watched with no knowledge about it. I even forgot the synopsis~
Felt weird and was about to drop it midway, but got curious 2/3 into the show. Loved the ED theme so I'm sticking with it lol :D

And as expected of A-1 Pictures, good job :D
I liked the OST and animation. Character design is kinda meh for me...but I does suit the story so it's fine with me too. Yeah, hoping they won't mess this up like SAO.
Sep 30, 2012 7:02 PM

Jan 2010
Why does this bring back terrible memories of Ookami Kakushi?

Ugh, I didn't want to remember that show.
Ok™
Sep 30, 2012 9:21 PM

Dec 2011
Very interesting start, giving us a quick view of the setting the story takes place in. I find the transition between the flashbacks and the present a bit jerky, like the one with the cat creature for example. It felt like they’re trying to cram a lot of things in one episode, unless that was intentional in order to leave us with a lot of questions. A lot of hints of secrecy and forbidden knowledge, it must be really big deal if they got their powers sealed and then got exiled for discovering them.

I wonder if there will be a religious aspect in this series; the rite of passage Saki underwent reminded me of Buddhism a bit. And the issue of being inefficient in utilizing their power or not being blessed with it, too.

I’m glad this will be 25 eps long. 13 episodes would be too little to cover their whole story at those three segments of their lives. I’m guessing the period of when they are 12 would serve as an introduction, and then the 14 and 24 yo part would be the bulk.

Lastly, the theme songs are lovely. I liked them when I first heard them in the PVs.
Sep 30, 2012 9:35 PM

Mar 2012
This was a terrific, brilliantly stylistic episode that served as a great introduction into the this strange, unsettling tale, as it immediately immerses the viewers into the unsettling nature of their world. Although this episode contained a rather lengthy amount of informative exposition and world-building, it was woven into the story very well, never slipping into an uninteresting lull.

The opening sequence was incredible. Firstly, we're temporarily shown the phenomenon that permanently altered the course of their world, as a portion of humans suddenly acquire unique powers, and then proceed to slaughter the others, as we bear witness to a partial amount of their resulting carnage. I particularly enjoyed the practical effect of distorting the visuals as a means to portray the oppressive madness of the situation. Following these scenes is a surprisingly mature, beautifully simplistic introduction of the children, as their silhouettes converse beneath the purple sunset. The music used for the opening, then leading to the appearance of the title card, was simply phenomenal.

Saki's continual perspective throughout the episode was a necessary viewpoint, as it created a masterfully depicted cohesion out of many disparate developments, never losing focus or dragging on a specific point for too long.

The dinner scene was terrific, as it allowed insight into Saki's emotions, contrasting the moments of veritable peace between her and her parents with the actual anger hidden beneath her due to the inter-woven sequence in which she overhears her parents revealing previously untold and horrifying truths.

The tale of the man crossing the holy barrier was amazingly animated and really interesting, but it seems very possible that his encountering of a fiend upon crossing the barrier is simply a fabrication endlessly recited to keep the children from leaving, thus creating a heavily restricted society where the children lean on the unchallenged morals and rules of their elders, constantly refraining from wandering across the edge of the super-imposed holy barrier. All of this is partially brought about by a noticeable naivety, since they certainly don't appear to be acutely aware of the secrets that surround them. A disturbing, ominous calm pervaded throughout the entire episode, particularly whenever the story lingered for a moment on Reiko, allowing a subtle dread to creep into the proceedings, culminating with the closing realization that she had disappeared.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the characters develop, as it seems inevitable that a significant darkness will befall them, tearing them out of their relative calm. As it is, they're basically trapped in this controlled, uniformed isolation, seemingly lacking a considerable amount of knowledge, particularly pertaining to the subtly discomforting nature of their world, thus creating an existence that's teetering on the edge of destruction.

I really enjoyed how a plethora of initially unknown and vague terminology, such as the Copycats and Cantus, were thrown into the narrative right at the beginning, since it adds a mysterious, yet intriguing element to the mix.

I particularly liked the moment when, during the ritual, Saki's contained Cantus was pierced, and as the blood siphons out towards the papers edge, there's a momentary glimpse of her anguished expression, effectively highlighting how difficult and somewhat painful this portion of the ritual must have been. This moment benefited considerably by the very impressive use of rather quick edits.

Another one of my favorite scenes is when Saki's abilities initially awaken, as this once tranguil moment was thrown into a particular chaos and momentary state of turmoil. The excellently dynamic animation allowed this sequence to really shine. The character designs look considerably better in motion, and are actually quite effective in portraying a subtle dichotomy between their relatively innocent exteriors and the seemingly bleak, strictly regulated world they inhabit.

The story is extremely intriguing, as it refrains from divulging too much initially, leaving much of the complexities involving this mysterious world to the speculative imagination. Of course, all of these hidden truths brilliantly foreshadow an unavoidably tragic future, thus constructing a very compelling tale.

The production qualities were thoroughly impressive all around. The direction is probably the best element, as it often elevated rather simple scenes, such as the introductory conversation and the dinner scene, demonstrating a deftly skilled prowess with the visual aspect. This distinctly visual style of storytelling is very impressive, creating an aesthetic that is quite striking in it's diversity, highlighted especially in the fantastic use of coloring. Also, another great aspect of the production is the cinematography, which was understated, but highly effective.

The pacing was handled extremely well, occasionally weaving in significant flashbacks and intermittently cutting to other moments and conversations, while never faltering in it's execution. The tone of the episode was consistently foreboding, as a darkly ominous atmosphere permeated the episode, never relinquishing it's tense grip even during the "lighter" moments. The music is quite excellent and suitably haunting, as it really illuminates the eerie ambiance and emotional significance of several sequences. As such, the ED was pretty great, since the song blends quite well with the tone of the rest of the episode.

All in all, this was a highly impressive and thoroughly interesting start to the most promising show of the season.
Sep 30, 2012 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
Now this seems like an interesting anime. Can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 30, 2012 9:51 PM

Sep 2007
Spoilers. Spoilers everywhere.

And lol at people getting so overly sensitive over some same sex relationships in a book.
WasabiSep 30, 2012 10:03 PM
Sep 30, 2012 10:15 PM

Jul 2012
This looks really interesting, looking forward to seeing more.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Sep 30, 2012 10:16 PM

Apr 2012
The anime is pretty good, set out an interesting premises :D. However I hope it actually develops the plot device they have, and execute it well, and it's not one of those put 80% of the budget into first episode cases.
Sep 30, 2012 10:16 PM

Jan 2011
Aside from 1 episode having aired and there between a slew of reviews already for a show with a SINGLE episode out....

Much more interesting than I thought it was going to be from reading about it. I hope it can keep it up throughout the series.
Sep 30, 2012 10:45 PM

Feb 2012
Very interesting first ep. I'm intrigued and can't wait to see more!

Definitely one of the most unique and fresh anime this year.
Sep 30, 2012 11:46 PM

Aug 2011
Once this anime doesnt have any yuri/yaoi BS in it, ill keep watching it..., simple.

good first episode tho..., not a bad start to the season!
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Oct 1, 2012 12:07 AM

Nov 2009
Oh well, I don't mind yuri, I even like it. It's just my fetish seeing 2 cute girls being lovey dovey together.

But I do mind yaoi stuff lol, hope they don't show it in the anime if it's not for the sake of plot progression.

Beside that won't make me drop this anime. This season has a strong start with this one.
Oct 1, 2012 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Oh well, I don't mind yuri, I even like it. It's just my fetish seeing 2 cute girls being lovey dovey together.

But I do mind yaoi stuff lol, hope they don't show it in the anime if it's not for the sake of plot progression.

Beside that won't make me drop this anime. This season has a strong start with this one.

...that's gender discrimination. that's not cool. you're just as bad as those people back in the day where blacks weren't allowed to marry whites. lol

anyways, great first episode, let's see what happens next week
Oct 1, 2012 12:42 AM

Nov 2009
plushkin said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

...that's gender discrimination. that's not cool. you're just as bad as those people back in the day where blacks weren't allowed to marry whites. lol

anyways, great first episode, let's see what happens next week

lol that's not gender discrimination, that's fetishes. Everyone has his/her own fetish ._.
I don't mind yaoi if it's for the plot development, I don't against it but I just don't like it. And even it appears, it won't make me drop the show if the show is still good.
Oct 1, 2012 1:02 AM

Feb 2008
Whoa, this sure was much more than I thought it would be!
Hope the next episodes won't disappoint.
Oct 1, 2012 2:07 AM

Aug 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:

well everyone has their thing i spose..., but for me as soon as i see any thing like yuri or yaoi, even the mere suggestion of it in a serious tone..., im not gonna waste my time on this anime and just wikipedia the remaining episodes.
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Oct 1, 2012 2:14 AM

May 2010
Welcome the new season :) this look good will stick with for now. 1st Dark show of the season, so it seems.

5/5
Oct 1, 2012 2:16 AM

Nov 2011
Naxrrhid said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

well everyone has their thing i spose..., but for me as soon as i see any thing like yuri or yaoi, even the mere suggestion of it in a serious tone..., im not gonna waste my time on this anime and just wikipedia the remaining episodes.

Let me get this straight. If you were reading a Godlike book or watching a Godlike show and enjoying it, one homo sex scene later and you will drop it? Seems kinda shallow.
The Art of Eight
Oct 1, 2012 2:20 AM

Aug 2010
I'm glad I have no flying clue as to what I'm watching so spoilers mean nothing to me, but I guess I won't be reading the comments from now on, thanks for the heads up.

At any rate, I hope this is one of those shows that slowly start to make sense and have a high rewatch value, and not something like Horizon/SAO where the adaptation leaves out fucktons of important details. Promising so far, nice atmosphere, looking forward to more 4/5.
Oct 1, 2012 2:22 AM
Nov 2011
a show that has one or more gay person in it is not automatically yaoi or yuri
Oct 1, 2012 3:00 AM

Oct 2010
I theorized based on Reiko’s disappearance some aspects on the Copycat. Bear in mind these are at most assumptions.

A)Copycats tend to feed and consume individuals who are weak or have a high class of negativity about them such as Reiko.

B)Copycats tend use their main prey being Saki as a relay to other ones before killing its main target if it does.

C)Copycats tend to remember anyone who sees them.

D)Copycats look like lynx and are deemed wild beasts.

In conclusion it’s still debatable why did Reiko disappear but with the copycats story, she might have been devoured by one.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 1, 2012 3:09 AM

Aug 2011
dankickyou said:
Naxrrhid said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

Let me get this straight. If you were reading a Godlike book or watching a Godlike show and enjoying it, one homo sex scene later and you will drop it? Seems kinda shallow.

ok well honestly in that situation i cant say for sure i would drop it..., and in all seriousness, once it was shown as minor detail and just something that had no effect whatsoever to the main storyline then it would not be a problem for me (tht actually happened to me in the Sylvari quest line in guild wars 2, obviously i wont drop a game for tht, as it was minor)..., so if its shown, depending on what context and how 'serious' it influences the story, will decide whether i drop it or not...,

and i agree it is kinda shallow to drop something cuz of that, but im just being honest with my opinion on things, its not something that i want to see or will be entertained by, so why continue watching something if its not good? (to me)

<also +1 to you for using the term 'Godlike' lol :P>
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Oct 1, 2012 3:44 AM

Jun 2008
Yomandude said:
DraconisMarch said:

I second this. I don't want to step on any toes, but if you just use your brain going into it then you really can get a good grasp of what's going on. I'd say it holds up better after a rewatch, but that's just me. Also, to the people who started watching without getting an impression from official info, why would you do that? Why would you watch something based solely on your own (possibly) incorrect impressions of the show and its atmosphere?

Thank you for your opinion. Allow me to give mine.
Sorry for not having a major understanding of the series, but I think in this thread people are complaining way too much about other people who didnt understand what is going on. So I understand we will have students disappearing, but sorry if I dont understand why. Who was the responsible? Is it the cat spirit? Is it the school? Why that is happening? I dont think it is easy to understand like some here claim, we all dont have the same brain, but not understanding what´s going on for now, does not make us less smart.
As for me, I had no idea what the anime was about honestly. I gave a try to first episode due the tags "supernatural" which I usually enjoy that genre and came with no expectations. Why not watch something based solely on our own (possibly) incorrect impressions of the show and its atmosphere? Why not? We´ll never know if our impressions were really incorrect if we dont watch it, and as for me, I love dark atmosphere, so I dont see why I shouldnt watch it XD That´s it, easy;P There are even people who watched it solely for the artwork, everyone has their own reasons, which should not be criticized.

As for people complaining about the shoujo-ai-shounen-ai, I understand it might be hard to watch non straight interactions between characters but I dont see a problem there since its not the main focus of the story...and even if it was, as long as it has a good story, I dont think there´s a problem. Actually I find it quite refreshing in its genre, to add that and both, not just one, and that might come to please both shounen-ai and shoujo-ai fans which have the same rights than the other fans to watch it. I honestly like the idea, love is supposed to be ...universal XD gender discrimination is a thing from the past, people have to evolve;)

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 1, 2012 5:26 AM
Sep 2011
Sorry for not having a major understanding of the series, but I think in this thread people are complaining way too much about other people who didnt understand what is going on. So I understand we will have students disappearing, but sorry if I dont understand why. Who was the responsible? Is it the cat spirit? Is it the school? Why that is happening? I dont think it is easy to understand like some here claim, we all dont have the same brain, but not understanding what´s going on for now, does not make us less smart.

These are all parts of the anime, it's called "mystery". Seriously "understand" is a wrong word for these kind of events, "reveal, find out" are more accurate. So the viewer has to speculate and guess what's gonna happen next, and who's the culprit. Because characters aren't sure what's going on either, just look at Saki, does she know what is happening around her? Why do student disappear? And what kind of meaning or secret does the village or her parent try to hide? She does not know and we're on a story waiting for someone to find out.---> That's what make this anime.

And geez, if you don't know what's going on, read the summary, and if you still not know what's going on, watch and bear with it.

That's a part of the story and it doesn't need to be understood. Sometimes viewers need to distinguish what are the mysterious events. Use some brains to watch anime, that's it.
HibiChouchouOct 1, 2012 5:37 AM
Oct 1, 2012 5:29 AM
Aug 2011
Don't understand why this anime is so low, I watched it and thought it was a great first episode.
Oct 1, 2012 7:16 AM

Apr 2011
iWriter88 said:
Don't understand why this anime is so low, I watched it and thought it was a great first episode.

Well people have different opinions.
Oct 1, 2012 7:24 AM

Sep 2010
Not bad, not great anime. I don't understand why someone think that is slow paced. It isn't slow paced, at least the first episode isnt. I can't say too much about the first episode, good production values and it isn't a bad ost.
Oct 1, 2012 7:31 AM

Jul 2009
wow man really like that intro that starts after the guy said "Its not that rare you know" that drum just sounds so nice and that lady singing in the background creeps me out >_>.

This show is definitely interesting though to the fact where from 2012 and 1000 years to the future instead of going futuristic they look like they went to back to middle age timeline. (I hate the way they dress though specially the kids).

And i read that its about a war between psychics and Science? Correct me if im wrong but does it mean that the war started in with the first few minutes of the episode?. The part where those 3 kids from the school, elevator and the taxi came out and started turning people into smithereens using somekind of psychic power or telepathy. And that those 3 kids are soldier's of the Psychic Group/Army that basically defeated Science .
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Oct 1, 2012 7:40 AM

Dec 2009
Interesting. It felt really wierd. But I'm sure it'll get more easy to follow. This is a 2-cour show, so they have time o clear things up.

4/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 1, 2012 7:42 AM

Jan 2011
Woah... the idea of telepathy is quite awesome. I got kind of confused with the timeline in this ep though but most likely I'll get it after watching some more.

So the cat is some bad omen and if you see it... You'll get taken away by the authorities?
Some epic conspiracy building up here and it seems like the parents have lost children before? At the end, one of their friends suddenly "disappeared".

I guess this is the type of anime I'll only like as the story progresses...
The ED was also quite nice and had a really catchy tune.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Oct 1, 2012 7:49 AM

Dec 2009
DraconisMarch said:
Kana Hanazawa sounds unrecognizable as Maria.

Really? IMO she sounded exactly like Mayuri from Steins;Gate.
Oct 1, 2012 8:34 AM

Jun 2008
HibiChouchou said:

These are all parts of the anime, it's called "mystery". Seriously "understand" is a wrong word for these kind of events, "reveal, find out" are more accurate. So the viewer has to speculate and guess what's gonna happen next, and who's the culprit. Because characters aren't sure what's going on either, just look at Saki, does she know what is happening around her? Why do student disappear? And what kind of meaning or secret does the village or her parent try to hide? She does not know and we're on a story waiting for someone to find out.---> That's what make this anime.

And geez, if you don't know what's going on, read the summary, and if you still not know what's going on, watch and bear with it.

That's a part of the story and it doesn't need to be understood. Sometimes viewers need to distinguish what are the mysterious events. Use some brains to watch anime, that's it.

Doh, I read the summary already soon after I watched the ep

That´s precisely why I made my post, many anime viewers in this thread claimed to not understand what´s going on, neither did I, I know its mystery and I know we will only find it out at the very end probably. What I meant to say and will keep my statement is that we´re not all forced to "understand" the plot in the first episode. Its a complicated story that involves a lot of unexplained events so its normal for people to get confused, even those who use their brain. XD
C´mon, cant a person say "I find it confusing"? Because many many people said it in this thread, and people are not all the same and so several individuals might reach the same interpretation or different interpretations of the same subject.
Honestly I think next episode things will be explained better;)

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 1, 2012 8:39 AM
Aug 2011
Hmmm I liked the atmosphere of this and did not find it boring.
We'll see how it goes.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.