Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2008 6:51 AM

Feb 2008
My thought is not ordered enough to write a review, so I just leave a short comment about this novel.

This is a great masterpiece. I couldn't stop reading until I finish the whole 730 pages. The first volume was started with the shocking execution of Soyon and the rest of the part described how Erin overcame her mother's death and her brilliance unveiled with the help of Joun and her teacher Esaru. In the next volume, she achieved fame but she soon realized she had opened the Box of Pandora. In the middle of the second volume, the situation got worse and complicated involving the political conspiracy. It was so painful to read when Erin finally went against her principle and **** the *******.

The ending was abrupt but I'm satisfied with it. An unnecessary afterward story was not given. The author beautifully wrapped up the conspiracy and the mystery.

This novel is about a smart girl who loved nature and fully understood the relationship between humans and beasts. The intrigues over the throne put the fate of the nation on her shoulder but she found the way by herself in accordance with her belief. Her straightforward character was so attractive and gave me a pleasant feeling after finishing this novel.
dtshykOct 26, 2008 8:24 AM
Jan 24, 2009 3:45 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:
My thought is not ordered enough to write a review, so I just leave a short comment about this novel.

This is a great masterpiece. I couldn't stop reading until I finish the whole 730 pages. The first volume was started with the shocking execution of Soyon and the rest of the part described how Erin overcame her mother's death and her brilliance unveiled with the help of Joun and her teacher Esaru. In the next volume, she achieved fame but she soon realized she had opened the Box of Pandora. In the middle of the second volume, the situation got worse and complicated involving the political conspiracy. It was so painful to read when Erin finally went against her principle and **** the *******.

The ending was abrupt but I'm satisfied with it. An unnecessary afterward story was not given. The author beautifully wrapped up the conspiracy and the mystery.

This novel is about a smart girl who loved nature and fully understood the relationship between humans and beasts. The intrigues over the throne put the fate of the nation on her shoulder but she found the way by herself in accordance with her belief. Her straightforward character was so attractive and gave me a pleasant feeling after finishing this novel.

good to hear that. hopefully the anime will live up to my expectations
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 3, 2009 9:19 PM
Nov 2007
Where did you manage to find and read this novel anyways?
May 25, 2009 9:55 AM

Jan 2009
seriously...I would like to give it a read too, from what I've heard it sounds like a REALLY good book.
Jul 12, 2009 8:08 AM
Dec 2007
Cortez321 said:
Where did you manage to find and read this novel anyways?

dtshyk reads Japanese, so... ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 4, 2009 9:21 AM

Feb 2008
Finished the new two volumes....

it's just shocking. the first two volumes were prologue of the whole tragedy.
Sep 4, 2009 10:33 AM
Nov 2007
You are really getting my hopes up for this title and I think it sounds like a good read.
Sep 4, 2009 5:08 PM

Sep 2008
hope the later volumes get adapted into a decent anime
*fingers crossed*
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 20, 2009 11:17 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:

That is very sad to know, that the tragedy happened nevertheless....I wonder when will these two volumes get adapted....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 26, 2009 11:45 AM

Feb 2008
dtshyk said:

Could you reveal what exactly happened? :)
Oct 19, 2009 1:37 PM

Jul 2008
I started reading the novel today...
And it's really addicting. If I didn't have to get up early tomorrow, I would probably read through the night... it's a lot faster than the anime, and I already prefer the book for this, because the anime seemed kind of lengthly at times^^°

btw: I read it in German. The first voulume came out this month. I pray it will be successful enough for the other volumes to be published.
(So if you write about what happens in the later volumes it would be nice if you could use spoiler tags, because I still have hopes of reading them myself)
Oct 20, 2009 1:52 AM

Feb 2008
Terrible spoiler of the 3rd & 4th volumes (which not to be animated)
Oct 22, 2009 10:41 PM

Sep 2008
MUST...NOT...CLICK...ON..SPoILER TAG
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 31, 2009 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
dtshyk,

Thank you veru much for your post. I hope that someday we'll see the rest of the series animated (or at least the novel in English). That was shocking... But
. Maybe I spoiled mysefl but that information was extremely important. Thanks again.
eneviOct 31, 2009 12:06 PM
Nov 2, 2009 1:18 PM

Aug 2007
Thanks dtshyk for sharing this information.

About the novels, Xcomp, on his awesome blog made several posts concerning first two novels. I recommend reading them (there are no big spoilers like here :]).
1) http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2009/06/09/a-peek-inside-the-ffvii-on-the-way-to-a-smile-and-beast-player-erin-novels/
2) http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2009/09/08/two-new-beast-player-erin-novels-published/
3) http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2009/09/16/kemono-no-souja-erin-novel-and-anime-comparison-vol-1/

I especially encourage to go to the 3rd one where novels are being compared to anime. For example I didn't know that Nukku and Mokku were only created for anime to release tension (and that's one of the few things that annoys me in anime).
Jan 8, 2011 2:15 PM

Feb 2008
Ok, I recently started reading the third novel and yesterday late at night finished it. Oh, Dear Mom... That was... awesome... but uttelry depressing. This part gave yet another view of the our dear heorine's situation. Yeah, we got somewhat happy ending within the anime:

Whereas in the novel recent events show the whole family bliss being not so obvious.
Too heartbreaking... You're cruel, Uehashi-sensei, REALLY cruel... Anyway, it was excellent... One more volume to go.

EDIT:
If anyone is interested: I started a small summary for the third volume here. Four more chapters to go, but if you feel like reading it I'll be very happy. Also, sorry for my English but I hope you'll like it :)
eneviJan 8, 2011 6:23 PM
Feb 17, 2011 3:46 PM

Feb 2008
Double post, but... It was outstanding! Somehow I knew that KnS will turn to one of my favourite novels. I just finished reading fourth volume. Oh crap... Too much happened there, too many bad things happened. Was it unavoidable fate? Well, it doesn't matter... It was an amazingly written story with awesome protagonist. Very moving and also thought-provoking in unforced way.

There's no way for me any constructive comment, but this story was simply amazing...
Mar 11, 2011 3:44 PM
Jun 2010
when do you think the last two novels will be translated. I'm a big fan of the anime, I really hope it gets done by summer break (may).
Apr 26, 2011 7:08 PM
Apr 2011
Actually I'm a bit curious as to how the story shifts its focus. Is there a straying from Erin as the primary character?

Okay just tell me, is there a chance for further sequels ㅠ_ㅠ
May 1, 2011 5:54 PM
May 2011
I just finished watching the anime...and I want more! I'd love to read the novels but I can't read Japanese =( Even though the content of the novels 3 and 4 may not be the happiest, I still want to know what happens!

Does anyone know of any detailed (or semi-detailed) summaries of novels 3 and 4 out there?
Jun 21, 2012 9:05 AM

Aug 2008
Can anyone tell me please what happened Ial and their son at the end??
Feb 3, 2013 11:10 PM

Sep 2010
I have the Light Novel downloads if anyone wants them
sauveterreMar 26, 2013 11:28 PM
Jul 8, 2014 1:00 PM
Jul 2014
I've been looking for them!
Dec 27, 2014 4:04 PM

Jul 2012
princessnight said:
Can anyone tell me please what happened Ial and their son at the end??

this please
Apr 10, 2015 7:19 AM

Nov 2014
dtshyk said:

Frankly, this ending sounds terrible, and it doesn't make any sense.

Jun 26, 2015 1:26 AM
May 2011
aikaflip said:
dtshyk said:

Frankly, this ending sounds terrible, and it doesn't make any sense.

It was stated that the Author herself thought the story had already come to an end with the 2nd volume, which was a happy ending, but fans wanted a sequel so she continued and wrote 2 more volumes. I guess she didn't want to end the same way she decided to end the series before so she shifted gears? Either that or made sure Erin, who was the main character, die so there can be no more sequels to be had.
Oct 23, 2015 7:56 AM
Oct 2015
how did some of you read the kemono no souja erin book 3 and 4? are they translated in eng now?
DX....i recently started watching it.. i got sooo addicted that i want to read the books so i bought book 1 and 2 but the rest i couldnt find.....any news?
Oct 23, 2015 8:00 AM
Oct 2015
sauveterre said:
I have the Light Novel downloads if anyone wants them

i want em please...
Mar 29, 2016 11:53 PM
May 2010
I'm glad they haven't adapted that to anime then, it would just be... far too cruel a story to tell. As it is, it's a warm enough story to show to children but with what is mentioned in the spoilers... It kind of gives the idea that no matter what,

Viper_607Mar 30, 2016 6:42 PM
May 7, 2016 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Viper_607 said:

Oh, but it was explained in the novel
Jul 18, 2016 7:26 PM

Sep 2013
When I first saw this thread I thought I would never like to see this ending. Now, I think I would at least want to read volumes 3 and 4, especiially because re-reading this discussion made me think of how much Erin and Yang Wenli look alike haha. For anime my heart probably wouldn't accept this tragic ending, but I wish I had access to the translated novels. I really wanted to have at least volumes 1 and 2 on my hands as I am a huge fan of the anime :(

More topics from this board

» Kemono no Souja : General Discussion

TitanInsane - Jul 16, 2021

1 by Lucifrost »»
Sep 14, 2022 9:42 PM

» English Translation?

N64 - Sep 3, 2012

6 by removed-user »»
Jul 12, 2021 6:06 AM

» Detailed summary of volumes 3 and 4

Drama - Mar 21, 2017

8 by el_morris »»
Jun 13, 2020 10:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.