Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2012 4:29 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The October 2012 issue of Gangan Joker arrived today with the latest instalment of “Tasokare Otome no Amnesia”, Chapter 37 - “Kage no Kioku”, “The Shadow's Memory”, Part 1. It is on pages 99-135. The issue came with a page of vinyl book marks of various characters from stories in the magazine, including two of Yuuko. The cover of the issue is from “Akame ga Kill”.

The chapter starts out with Kirie confronting her grandmother again about Yuuko and demanding to know the truth about Yuuko's death. Yukariko repeats the vague story that Yuuko was a sacrifice to stop the epidemic but Kirie rejects that and demands to know what really happened. Yukariko looks sadly at Kirie and tells her that she is really like Yuuko. Yukariko then tells Kirie that she caused Yuuko's death.

The scene then changes to Teiichi in the past as he watches Yuuko and Yukariko together. Teiichi realizes that this is Yuuko 60 years ago and he also realizes that they are in what will be the clubroom in the future, and that there are two doors where the mirror will be in the future.

Yuuko and Yukariko open the doors and start to go down the stairs. Teiichi calls out to Yuuko and tries to grab her shoulder but she doesn't hear him nor can he touch her. Teiichi then realizes that he is indeed in the memories that Yuuko had lost. Teiichi follows Yuuko and Yukariko down the stairs to the shrine. Yuuko places some flowers there as an offering.

Yukariko is uncomfortable with being there and asks Yuuko why they are doing this. Yuuko replies that with the school closing the shrine will be left alone and that she wanted to make it a bit prettier. The girls leave and as they go down a hallway Yukariko wants to go into a classroom but Yuuko stops her. Yukariko does look inside the classroom and is horrified to see that it is filled with dead bodies. Yuuko explains that the mortuaries are too full and that the school is doing its part for the community by providing storage for bodies until there is time for funerals.

As the sisters leave the school building Yukariko asks Yuuko if the epidemic is divine punishment. Yuuko asks if people told her that and Yukariko confirms that people are saying that a mountain god has placed a curse on the town. Yuuko tells her that is nonsense and then they go home as rain starts.

At home Yuuko tries to do some homework but she is bothered by what is going on. Outside in another room a number of village elders are having a meeting with Yuuko's father concerning the epidemic. Yuuko stands outside and listens in. The villagers are angry and scared. They are upset because a doctor couldn't confirm the origin of the epidemic.

Yukariko comes down the hallway with some water and medicine papers. Yuuko asks Yukariko how their mother is doing. Yukariko replies that she isn't getting any better. Yuuko tries to reassure Yukariko that their mother is okay.

At that point someone in the meeting yells out that what is going on is a curse. The villagers start to accuse Yuuko's father and their family as a whole of being the origin of the problem with how they treated and split up their land. Yuuko gets mad, throws the doors open and barges into the meeting, calling the actions of the villagers disgraceful and that they ought to be calming down everyone instead of causing fear to grow with rumours and stories.

Afterwards Yuuko and Yukariko are in the bath. Yuuko is still upset but she wonders if she was too blunt. Yukariko says no, but she is very nervous. Yukariko asks if Yuuko is scared. Yuuko says that she is, but that she refuses to be paralyzed by the fear. Yuuko then promises Yukariko that she protect her.

Yukariko leaves the bath first. Yuuko sits and thinks out loud about the situation and wonders what she can do. Teiichi is sitting outside the bathroom window, listening while becoming increasingly depressed.

The scene then changes to Yukariko who goes to see her father. She asks to speak with him, and when he agrees, she asks him about the origin of the epidemic. He replies that he doesn't know and neither did the doctor. Yukariko blurts out that everyone is saying that the epidemic started because their family built the school and didn't make a sacrifice to the mountain god.

Her father tries to calm Yukariko and says that he agrees with Yuuko that the curse idea is nonsense. Yukariko insists that there must be some truth to the story because everyone is saying it. Her father gets mad and yells at her not to listen to the rumours. He tells her to stop listening to the old stories because they are wrong.

The perspective then changes and we realize that we are now listening to Yukariko's story as she tells it to Kirie. Kirie becomes increasingly horrified as her grandmother tells her that she and the others were terrified beyond reason, and thus they chose the wrong path to take in order to try to end their fear.

The story will be continued in the November 2012 issue which will be published on October 22.
Oct 17, 2012 12:19 AM

Dec 2010
Looks like Yukariko was flat and thus, Kirie
Oct 17, 2012 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
Nice little memory trip this chapter with the two sisters. Wonder what's to await next.
Oct 17, 2012 3:28 AM

Feb 2012
Thank god it differs from the anime's story.

Interesting that the Kanoes played quite a big role in the village, Yukariko didn't only adore Yuuko, she hated (not the right but you know what I mean) her a bit too, guess she really might have caused her death.
Oct 17, 2012 3:51 AM

Dec 2010
Zhou said:

^ Never watched the anime since I heard the ending was bad so I'm glad it is different.

I really do hope that this has a satisfying conclusion. I wonder what exactly is Teichi going to do now that his seen all this. Thats the problem with manga with ghosts. There really isn't much for the MC to do once the ghost has gone or fulfilled her last request.
Perhaps make a grave for Yuuko, if i remember right her skeleton is still in that basement.
Oct 17, 2012 4:01 AM
Mar 2012
darkwap said:
Zhou said:

^ Never watched the anime since I heard the ending was bad so I'm glad it is different.

I really do hope that this has a satisfying conclusion. I wonder what exactly is Teichi going to do now that his seen all this. Thats the problem with manga with ghosts. There really isn't much for the MC to do once the ghost has gone or fulfilled her last request.
Perhaps make a grave for Yuuko, if i remember right her skeleton is still in that basement.

i thought the ending of the anime version was really good...(probably the best anime ending of the year even)...though i like the author's take on Yuuko's past here better....and at least the way it was revealed wasn't as mood-ruining as how it was in the anime (the animators kinda overdid the ecchi aspect of the series)...

i can see this manga ending in approximately 5-10 chapters...let's just hope we have a happy ending we deserve....
Oct 17, 2012 4:02 AM

Feb 2012
darkwap said:
Zhou said:

It isn't bad, it just depends on your preference, I for one liked it.
Oct 17, 2012 12:05 PM

Aug 2010
Yeah, I liked the Anime ending a lot...but it's nice to see that this will be slightly different :D

PS...nice Fanservice XD
Oct 17, 2012 3:05 PM

Jun 2009
It's good to see the past events aren't as fast paced, enough to be called rushed like in anime. The artsyle does seem lacking though, author must be doing his best.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Oct 17, 2012 3:11 PM

Dec 2010
I liked the anime ending, actually was surprised so many people disliked it, guess people just like bitter endings, even if they can be avoided....

Well in any case the sister seems more annoying than i remembered in the anime version, seriously she should learn to leave things alone T_T
Oct 17, 2012 6:43 PM

Jun 2010
Wait. Hold on. Let me get my tissue ready. I can tell it's going to be sad.

Oct 18, 2012 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
Wow it's different then in the anime,hope they don't make her death more gruesome.
Oct 19, 2012 10:41 AM
Feb 2012
I'm glad the author decided to go by his own original story instead of repeating the anime one. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of all this and what exactly it was that caused Yuuko's death.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 24, 2012 7:05 PM

Oct 2009
Now I can see what happened. Yukariko ended up believing the stupid curse thing, and in the moment of going crazy, because of the epidemics she killed her... No wonder, Yuuko carries a grudge and cannot go to the other world.
"Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love."

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
Dec 26, 2012 3:48 AM

Apr 2009
So begins the walk down memory lane. For both Teiichi and Yukariko.

That was a nice display of sibling affection. Yuuko really did care for her little sister. I like how their father seems to be a rather progressive man who believes in science instead of superstition. And that he and Yuuko shared the right mindset.

It's encouraging how the original story is heading into a slightly different direction from the adaptation. This is Maybe's own take - how it should have been if the adaptation had come later.
Jul 20, 2013 10:46 AM

Jan 2013
Great chapter, looking forward to the following 4.
Sep 8, 2017 3:54 PM

Jan 2016
Awesome chapter! Hope everything will be gruesome as f

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Chapter 54 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Jul 1, 2023

1 by rmahoney717 »»
Jul 2, 2023 10:43 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - Aug 15, 2011

13 by Kiba_Senpai »»
May 28, 2023 5:32 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Chapter 13 Discussion

BladerJC - Aug 1, 2010

16 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Apr 2, 2023 10:18 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Chapter 7 Discussion

ClementIV - Jun 14, 2010

8 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Feb 14, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Chapter 4 Discussion

-Kazu - May 23, 2010

3 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Feb 5, 2023 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.