Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 21, 2013 2:42 PM
Sep 2012
I'm watching the old one now, am half way, and absolutely love it. I'm going to watch the new one when I'm done with the old one. I did the same with FMA. The beginning of FMA was a lot sadder than Brotherhood. But Brotherhood was better overal. I expect the same with the new Hunter X Hunter. Although I hear people say that the new one isn't bloodier than the original, because Brotherhood is bloodier than the original... Which Hunter X Hunter series do the people who watched both see as more mature? As for FMA, I think Brotherhood was more mature...
May 21, 2013 2:59 PM

Nov 2010
jasmlypp said:
I'm watching the old one now, am half way, and absolutely love it. I'm going to watch the new one when I'm done with the old one. I did the same with FMA. The beginning of FMA was a lot sadder than Brotherhood. But Brotherhood was better overal. I expect the same with the new Hunter X Hunter. Although I hear people say that the new one isn't bloodier than the original, because Brotherhood is bloodier than the original... Which Hunter X Hunter series do the people who watched both see as more mature? As for FMA, I think Brotherhood was more mature...
Well I won't say that's a good idea. Because unlike FMA, the first show is almost the same as the remake just different VA's, music, art, faster, and less filler.

The Hunter x Hunter remake is bloodier than the first. and it is more mature.
May 21, 2013 3:45 PM

Feb 2013
No the 99 version definitely isnt bloodier.
May 21, 2013 3:50 PM

May 2013
Guys please, the original is the only option you have. The remake sucks! Killua looks like Casper.
May 21, 2013 5:13 PM

Feb 2013
KellyMoons said:
Guys please, the original is the only option you have. The remake sucks! Killua looks like Casper.

YOU JUST GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWAY
May 21, 2013 11:47 PM

May 2013
No.
May 22, 2013 8:49 AM

Mar 2013
2011 version. Though I like the 1999 versions color scheme a bit more,1999 version made Gon into more of a average, innocent, white shonen main protagonist.

But,in 2011 version and manga Gon's more gray.Also,whoever created the 1999 version kind of made hxh into a story of their own,changing vital stuff and character persionality's.

Plus,besides the beginning, 2011 version is much more bloody and violent.

@Kelly. YOU JUST GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
May 23, 2013 2:55 AM

May 2013
ahahah NOOOOOOO!!!

But yeah, we all like hunter x hunter so.. just watch one of them =)
May 23, 2013 7:03 AM

Sep 2012
Prefer you start with the 2011 version
May 23, 2013 10:55 AM

May 2013
KellyMoons said:

^ this
Killua looks like a mama's boy.
May 23, 2013 11:59 AM
May 2012
I think it's kinda pointless to watch the original now that the new anime has new content. Watch the new anime and if you want watch the old one later.
May 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Mar 2013
Who the fuck cares what Killua looks like,he looks much more deadly in the 2011 version anyways,just like in the manga.
May 23, 2013 3:37 PM

Apr 2013
Killua looks much better in the new one, not gonna lie...
May 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Nov 2012
Depends how serous you are planning to watch anime. If serous watch the original first. If not sure try 2011 version (although i did not sen it yet my self). Btw i think Hunter x Hunter is the best shonen ever made. Better then One piece and others.
May 23, 2013 4:31 PM

Nov 2010
johnyjohny said:
Depends how serous you are planning to watch anime. If serous watch the original first. If not sure try 2011 version (although i did not sen it yet my self). Btw i think Hunter x Hunter is the best shonen ever made. Better then One piece and others.
Why would you if you're serious watch the original first?
Wouldn't watching the one closer to the manga be better.
May 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Aug 2012
HXH 2011 I love that anime.
I love 99 OST and the way leorio looks but I suggest 2011
May 23, 2013 11:56 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
But then watching the old one would not be fun anymore. And i thought of it as a true Quality shonen. But i heard they do not differe from each other very much. But then again i did not watch it yet. Btw did you read the manga? exactly.
May 24, 2013 8:29 AM

Nov 2010
johnyjohny said:
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
But then watching the old one would not be fun anymore. And i thought of it as a true Quality shonen. But i heard they do not differe from each other very much. But then again i did not watch it yet. Btw did you read the manga? exactly.
Who cares, and I don't see why it would. No I haven't read the manga, but it's unanimous throughout the fanbase that it's closer to the manga and it is adapting at least one arc that the original didn't cover. exactly. And you haven't even started HxH(2011) and you think you know about it? exactly.
May 24, 2013 8:41 AM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
Depends how serous you are planning to watch anime. If serous watch the original first. If not sure try 2011 version (although i did not seen it yet my self). Btw i think Hunter x Hunter is the best shonen ever made. Better then One piece and others.
Who cares, and I don't see why it would. No I haven't read the manga, but it's unanimous throughout the fanbase that it's closer to the manga and it is adapting at least one arc that the original didn't cover. exactly. And you haven't even started HxH(2011) and you think you know about it? exactly.
Well i did read the manga and i don't want to spoil to much but ad a certain point it is going to be boring for a long wile, until the big clash is about to happen. That's all i can say.
johnyjohnyMay 24, 2013 8:46 AM
May 26, 2013 11:29 AM

Nov 2008
Just watch the Remake. It will save you a TON of trouble. All the more convenient.
Aug 27, 2014 1:16 PM

Apr 2011
Recently finished Hunter X Hunter original, man I'm so bummed out right now.
How could they change the VA's. T___T
Aug 27, 2014 1:30 PM

Nov 2011
Ayashu said:

Because it's a completely different studio, and was made 12 years later?
Aug 28, 2014 3:08 PM

Jan 2012
Geez, I'm laughing so hard at the comment above mine... lol

Whatever.

I'll watch the old series as soon as HxH 2011 ends (let's pretend my heart didn't break when I typed that)... I'm a fan now and everything counts since I'll be with those uncomfortable and weird feelings once it's finished.
BUT I also wanna hear Kurapika's ~old voice~ cuz I CAN'T STAND his current VA. The character is great, everything about him is great... and then he sounds like a freaking bit-- ok, nevermind.
Also, I saw some scenes and... Srsly, that's why there were a bunch of LeoPika shippers back then. I didn't even watch when it was aired and I knew about this couple. lol I'll probably laugh my ass of watching if it the characterization is really that off.

AND THEN after I watch everything related to HxH, I'll start reading the manga.
Aug 28, 2014 6:06 PM

May 2010
I just checked out a few episodes of the 1999 one. I think the only thing good about the 1999 version is Hisoka's voice.

The 1999 one sounds more like a psychopathic pedophile and the 2011 just sounds like a gay psychopath.
ConfuciusAug 28, 2014 10:37 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 23, 2014 11:31 AM

Apr 2011
Fadeout4 said:
Ayashu said:

That doesn't justify anything! THIS SERIES DESERVES BETTER.
Oct 23, 2014 11:33 AM

Dec 2013
I'm not really fond of anime before 2007, so i'mma say watch the 2011 version.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 23, 2014 12:34 PM

Feb 2012
You watch all of the exam arc from the original series and then stop, then you go back and watch all of the 2011 version.
Oct 23, 2014 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
Ayashu said:
Fadeout4 said:

That doesn't justify anything! THIS SERIES DESERVES BETTER.

To be fair, Hisoka's old VA voices 2011 Pariston.
Oct 23, 2014 1:48 PM
Dec 2013
Remake because it adapts two more arcs. Hunter x Hunter (1999) has been obsolete since April 2013.
Apr 29, 2016 10:43 PM
Apr 2016
I couldn't decide which to watch so i watching both at the same time lol. I enjoy them both.
Apr 30, 2016 11:28 PM

Sep 2015
The 2011 is basically a reboot but with Chimera and Election Arc. It would be confusing to start off with the original because it consists of a lot of titles until Greed Island. I suggest you watch 2011 first. You may want to rewatch the original later
Apr 30, 2016 11:29 PM

Nov 2014
It does not matter, they both end on Greed Island.

May 1, 2016 5:34 AM

Sep 2015
theantonlolz said:
Sometime soon I want to watch Hunter x Hunter, once I'm done with a couple of other anime, but I found out there is an older version and a remake. Personally, I the animation of modern anime, so should I even bother with the original or are they different?

If you're still curious about which version to watch OP, I'll put up a semi detailed comparison. I've only watched a little bit of the 1999 version, which was many years ago.

In terms of adaptation of the manga, both versions adapt the main content. There is little left out, like in episode 1 of 2011 version. But that's for later since they show the event in episode 76.

The 1999 version portrays the tone of HxH very well. HxH is supposed to have a dark tone overall. The 2011 version has a very shounen-ish vibe to it in the first 35 or so episodes. The deciding factor however, is the animation. The animation in 2011 version is extremely well done, and it portrays characters well, instead of the tone. But in my opinion, the shounen-ish tone is actually well done. It makes the total 180 degree turn the series takes a whole lot better. The 2011 version starts off all fun-and-games kind, but ends up being brutal and dark.

Back to the previous point, animation. The 2011 version has amazing battle sequences and very indulging soundtracks. This is especially evident in the later half of the series, Chimera Ant Arc (Episode 76-136). In my opinion, the Chimera Ant Arc had one of the best soundtracks you could find in any anime. The directing in every episode is extremely well done, and you can find little to no fault in animation, which is extremely good considering that it's a 148-episode series.

If you ask me, I'd definitely recommend the 2011 version, as it has superior directing, amazing OSTs, great animation, and it's done by Madhouse! Madhouse = Win.
You can watch 1999 version later if you want to, but it only covers half of the story. (Ends at episode 75 of 2011 version)
May 1, 2016 10:48 PM

Aug 2007
One of many examples which shows that old anime is better even in graphics department:

Or look at the floor in this scene: https://youtu.be/Zhj-YtrLmI8?t=1m18s
In old anime it's detailed, in new anime it's just a copy/paste job with no details.

I basically agree with Anime_Name and ensatsu-ken. They're the only ones in this thread who know what the word "adaptation" means and who can differentiate good directing from bad one.

Places where action happens changes abruptly, characters befriend others instantly without delivering proper background, etc. Also, they explain here obvious things and treat viewers like idiots (or 5 year old kids), more so than in the old version. For example in the old anime it sufficed that Kurapica looked at the tatoo, in the new version he said it out loud revealing that he knows she lied and letting her prepare. Or Leorio *accidently* heard that the bus driver won't get him where he wants at the exact moment he wanted to get in. In the old version he wasn't so lucky. There are other examples but these are from the top of my head.

Fillers in HxH were so uncommon and subtle that most people haven't even noticed they were there. In fact most of them enriched the story and characters making everything more logical (hence I consider old anime better than manga). Graphics was also better and I would prefer blu-ray remastered edition of HxH than new anime where director doesn't know how to direct.

New anime does a better job at animating manga pages in a 1:1 ratio but it's not a better adaptation, on the contrary. As I've said dozen times already, directors of Hunter x Hunter suck. They can only copy and paste and when once in a while they try to show their "ingenuity" it turns out to be a disaster, like adding killing apples (the boars being KO-ed by a falling apples), getting rid of Kaito for no good reason, cutting some stuff out or rushing things up or even ending an episode in a worse moment than it was in old anime. A perfect example of not 1:1 ratio is when Hisoka commented on Gon not making it through the tower which you called generic (lol). That's exactly the comment you would expect from someone who regarded Gon as someone who might be a worthy opponent in the future. And if Gon couldn't even do in 72 h what he did in 6 hours (without rush) then it would mean he was really bad at judging people (and as it was stated in HxH manga, the better you are the easier you can judge someone's strength).

So yeah, additions like these show that directors of the old anime understood the source material very well and did their job. Another example is the use of a narrator in the new anime, contrary to comments made by characters to show the viewers what's going on. The first method is artificial and in anime (or television overall) is intended for retards or kids who can't think for themselves and draw a conclusion themselves. In books all-knowing narrator is necessary because some things you can't show in any other way. In manga it depends but basically it's always possible to not use them, although that could require a massive amount of work (for example to actually show something via drawing that could be said in a few sentences) and space and mangaka have a limited amount of space/pages and time. However, when overused it only shows laziness of a mangaka. That's one of the reasons I despise chimera ant arc where there were dozens of pages with nothing but text from an all-knowing entity which could be done in a different manner.

Anyway, my point is, where the new anime uses a narrator who hand-holds everyone, old anime used more subtle ways to explain some things. Either just by showing something explicitly or by using secondary characters as medium. In the Gon vs. Hanzo fight it was done particularly well and judges have shown to be exactly as I would expect them to. I mean, it's normal that a judge would comment on a fight and analyse it and hunters only staring (especially Menchi who is not the calm type) when a fight like the one we've seen was in progress would be unnatural. Thankfully, in the new anime Menchi commented on one thing at least but overall it was done much worse than in the old one.

Also in old anime creators were taking into account such details as Gon stretching his hands which must have been numb due to being tightened around the fishing rod for such a long time or Gon being affected by Garreta's poison (in the new anime Gon was shown to be as resilient to poison as Killua).
I don't want to make a humongous wall of text here so I'll link to some of my older posts where I go into detail why Hunter x Hunter 2011 is a bad adaptation nad a travesty.

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3798291#post3798291 (episode #1)
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3811190#post3811190 (#2 and #3)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2651984/ (#5)
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3845220#post3845220 (#6)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2663369/
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3897328#post3897328 (#11 which were a certain scene was censored unlike in the old anime)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2710262/ (#12)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/2711190/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3045707/ (#48)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3102208/ (#52)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3031084/ (#56)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3032482/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3052477/ (#58)
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3082538/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3108482/
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/posts/3109443/
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3951977#post3951977
https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3953087#post3953087
https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/hunter-x-hunter-anime-fall-2011.71821/page-42#post-2783942
May 1, 2016 11:03 PM

Mar 2015
There will always be fanatics for an original, but let's be honest: more people prefer the new version.

Some people claim the new version isn't grimdark enough for their liking, but to me the clash between the brighter art and brutal content parallels well with the childish innocence from which Gon perceives the brutal world.

I also feel part of what makes the remake so special is that unique atmosphere which isn't present in the original. There's surely enough grimdark stuff to choose from that HxH has no need to try to follow that lead.
May 1, 2016 11:09 PM
May 2016
For sure watch the new one, the plot goes longer.
May 1, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2014
Watch the original until the end of Greed Island Final OVA, and then continue on episode 76 in the remake.
May 1, 2016 11:25 PM

Mar 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Watch the original until the end of Greed Island Final OVA, and then continue on episode 76 in the remake.

Would you really suggest this though? I think changing everything up so much leads to a dissonance which would ruin the flow.

If you really want to experience both, I would suggest watching both, either full 2011 version followed by full 1999 version, or vice versa. Watching the 2011 version first gives you the most efficient completion of the full animated story. Doing the switch adds an extra 17 episodes, and when you are done watching it you may end up wanting to go back and watching the first 75 episodes of 2011, maybe without the second half. Just doesn't seem all that optimal of a viewing experience.

Yes, I did it in that order and am probably biased to it and the 2011 version in general, but just my two cents.
May 1, 2016 11:37 PM

Jan 2014
FloatingIdiot said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

Would you really suggest this though? I think changing everything up so much leads to a dissonance which would ruin the flow.

If you really want to experience both, I would suggest watching both, either full 2011 version followed by full 1999 version, or vice versa. Watching the 2011 version first gives you the most efficient completion of the full animated story. Doing the switch adds an extra 17 episodes, and when you are done watching it you may end up wanting to go back and watching the first 75 episodes of 2011, maybe without the second half. Just doesn't seem all that optimal of a viewing experience.

Yes, I did it in that order and am probably biased to it and the 2011 version in general, but just my two cents.

I'm serious if someone really have the intention to watch the original. At least they should experience the original version first. After that they can continue the remake, whether they watch it from the beginning or directly continue from episode 76, both are fine.

But if someone didn't have the intention to watch the original, watch only the remake instead.
May 2, 2016 12:15 AM

May 2010
theantonlolz said:
Sometime soon I want to watch Hunter x Hunter, once I'm done with a couple of other anime, but I found out there is an older version and a remake. Personally, I the animation of modern anime, so should I even bother with the original or are they different?

The character dynamics are much more fleshed out in the original one simply because there are more scenes.

The newer one streamlines the older tv series up to its end. I find it done well despite seeing the original one several times and noticing that there are cuts in the remake while knowing the additions in the original. Not only that, the remake has consistency in terms of flow because of how the OAVs were originally released.

That said, my recommendation is to watch the original up until the end of the TV series, then pick up the new one at around ep 53/54. That way you don't miss the minor plot details missing for the beginning of the York Shin arc in the remake. You also lose the problems the OAVs had.
May 2, 2016 5:17 AM

Sep 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
Some people claim the new version isn't grimdark enough for their liking, but to me the clash between the brighter art and brutal content parallels well with the childish innocence from which Gon perceives the brutal world.

100% agreed. You'd enjoy the switch from innocent looking shounen to a brutal and suspenseful thriller.
May 2, 2016 10:20 AM
May 2012
I'm not going to watch any of them now. I've read the manga, got disappointed because of the wasted potential and I'm just not going to bother with it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014

animeboilolz - 10 hours ago

25 by TruINTP »»
19 minutes ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Apr 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.