MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Badass/Cool Male Anime Protag (in an action and/or romance)?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Badass/Cool Male Anime Protag (in an action and/or romance)?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
09-23-12, 3:33 PM

I've asked this time and time again, but apparently, nowadays (excluding some GOOD anime), the protagonist is badass to the extent that he is a child that cries all the time but has a mysterious over-powered ability, but never uses it because of some morality shit.

What I mean is that some kid gets a power, but won't use it because killing is wrong - even while some evil stereotypical villain is killing his friends- then he saves the world without killing anyone, instead the villain somehow repents just before he kills everything. Blah. Blah. Blah.

OR

In a romance/harem/ecchi anime where the lead is having a nosebleed every other scene, or whenever he is hit on by a girl, he runs away.

I'm looking for two types of protags in two types of anime.

1) A cold/heartless/mysterious/badass lead in an action anime like Hei from Darker Than Black, Kazuma from Kaze no stigma or Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate.

Basically, they need to be over powered from the start, and have no qualms about hurting/killing anyone, mabye gets a girl or two or three etc.

2) A cool lead in a romance/harem anime like Usui from Kaichou wa Maid-sama. Not a shy nobody but maybe someone popular or just cool.

I hate to use this as an example. But Makoto from School Days. I don't like the fact that he cheated and he was a dick, but he could get girls and he didn't mind kissing or having sex with them.

If you could keep as close as possible to my examples of characters - excluding Makoto, I was just using him to explain a point - that would be great.

Btw, if possible, as little drama as possible. I hate it where the guy cheats in an anime (Bokura ga ita) etc.

BUT, I know anime like that are hard to come across so suggest ones with drama in also, it's just that, for romance type anime, a prefer them to be light-hearted - Kaichou wa Maid-sama

09-23-12, 3:45 PM

I would recommend maybe REC as romance and Chromed shell regios (not sure if it is written right) and Katanagatari (the main is very strong and he surprises you at some point how strong he really is
)

09-23-12, 3:50 PM

Hagure Yuusha.

MC is THE coolest, most chevalieric, and nicest guy in my anime history.

He's not like those pussy males that other anime creators place into shitty harems.

09-23-12, 3:51 PM

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari maybe? I haven't watched it yet, but it's action/harem and from what I hear, the MC's pretty badass.

09-23-12, 3:58 PM

For a romance, probably Kimi ni Todoke. The male protagonist is popular.

The romance might be too slow for your liking, though.

09-23-12, 4:00 PM

He is already watching HY, but yes he is pretty awesome.
Isekai is also a very good anime.
Kimi ni Todoken was painfully slow.
Maybe Zero no tsukaima, the male lead starts of kind of weak but gets a lot stronger during the course of the anime. It has a lot of romance (kissing) and even though there is a lot of harem he always says to the main lead that he only loves her.

09-23-12, 4:06 PM

marcosmk said:
Maybe Zero no tsukaima, the male lead starts of kind of weak but gets a lot stronger during the course of the anime. It has a lot of romance (kissing) and even though there is a lot of harem he always says to the main lead that he only loves her.

Indeed, painfully slow.

The second season is also horrendously slow, although it manages to redeem itself in the second half.

09-23-12, 4:25 PM

I wish they would make an anime where the Main leads get into a relationship early on and they would show their affection throughout the anime (kissing, hugging and even sex, without making it into a hentai, like in Kimi ga nozomu eien).

09-23-12, 4:32 PM

I like that idea, too.

Although, the main component of most romances would be how the main leads actually get together in the first place.

But I agree, that type of anime would be nice and refreshing.

Edited for slight grammar error. :'|
Modified by catalysst, 09-23-12, 4:54 PM

09-23-12, 7:37 PM

Hagure yuusha no estetica
-harem but main character is a badass

09-23-12, 9:58 PM

marcosmk said:

with ZnT, he get's strong by somewhere between episode 2 or 3 in season 1 lol
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum

09-23-12, 11:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the recs!

I think I'll try REC.

I've seen Isekai, that's also a pretty good example of an OP lead.

I actually dropped Kimi no Todoke and ZnT.

Kimi was too slow, liek you all said, and I could never get into ZnT. I think I got around halfway through the first season, the romance was decent, but the characters annoyed me.

09-24-12, 12:38 AM

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also hate weak/wimply leads and I will drop an anime if I find don't find strength in lead characters.

I enjoyed the 1st season of Kimi mainly to watch Sawako develop but as the romance was slow it didn't make an impact to the story. So don't watch it for the romance. 2nd season I skipped the entire first 8 episodes because I heard about the frustration of the stupid love triangles and annoying drama (there's good drama and there's annoying drama....kimi fell into the latter). But watched episode 9 onwards and I loved it so it made watching Kimi more enjoyable and I felt I didn't miss anything.

I can suggest Nodame Cantabile for Comedy/Romance. Male Lead is not wimpy at all...actually he's arrogant to start of with.

I can also suggest Itazura na Kiss for Romantic comedy. Male Lead is coldhearted at first but changes over time. This is a good series if you want to see a relationship develop much much further than any other romantic anime. Good solid ending too. It's a slow build up for the first 8 episodes but keep with it and it does get very romantic.

The above anime is not heavy on drama - there is a little more drama in ItK but it gets resolved and doesn't get too intense.

I would like suggestions for myself for anime with strong leads :) Don't mind if it's action/romance as long as there is a decent romance subplot.
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!

09-24-12, 3:55 AM

Uhmm you are looking a good mature romance, for what I see...So first:

Rec, I'll second this one, a must anime in this theme.
Salaryman Kintarou, I know it's not well known, but indeed has all the things you're looking for.
Kaichou Wa Maid Sama, Usui is maybe too perfect in this anime...
Macross Frontier
Berserk
GTO (Not romance, but still a must in cool MC)

This is my kind of anime so if you have any doubt or you're looking for anymore, ask me, and maybe with my limited knowledge ill be able to help you

09-24-12, 1:35 PM

lol i also love anime like this but unfortunately as you said just about in every new anime the MC is a total wimp and doesn't want to fight but some good ones that unfortunately dont have romance id suggest
berserk-little bit older towards the end has romance
blade of the immortal-i thought he really just won fights because he was immortal
gun grave
gun x sword-loved this one would love it if a 2nd season came out and usually this anime goes unnoticed by a lot
afro samurai-very short but totally bad ass

09-25-12, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys, I'm currently watching:

Gungrave and Blade of the Immortal...

Keep the recs coming

09-25-12, 12:44 PM

I dunno Cowboy Bebop,Samurai Champloo,Afro Samurai

09-25-12, 1:03 PM

Fate/Zero
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou

09-25-12, 1:43 PM

@render I've seen those :(

@taketori Fate/Zero doesn't really have a main char, but seeing as I haven't seen it, I'll check it out :)

09-25-12, 2:55 PM

LancelotTypeZero said:
Hagure yuusha no estetica
-harem but main character is a badass

^^ This has what you want. No spineless lead, no nose bleeds, but he's a badass with a heart of gold lol.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices