MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Badass/Cool Male Anime Protag (in an action and/or romance)?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
09-23-12, 3:33 PM

I've asked this time and time again, but apparently, nowadays (excluding some GOOD anime), the protagonist is badass to the extent that he is a child that cries all the time but has a mysterious over-powered ability, but never uses it because of some morality shit.

What I mean is that some kid gets a power, but won't use it because killing is wrong - even while some evil stereotypical villain is killing his friends- then he saves the world without killing anyone, instead the villain somehow repents just before he kills everything. Blah. Blah. Blah.

OR

In a romance/harem/ecchi anime where the lead is having a nosebleed every other scene, or whenever he is hit on by a girl, he runs away.

I'm looking for two types of protags in two types of anime.

1) A cold/heartless/mysterious/badass lead in an action anime like Hei from Darker Than Black, Kazuma from Kaze no stigma or Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate.

Basically, they need to be over powered from the start, and have no qualms about hurting/killing anyone, mabye gets a girl or two or three etc.

2) A cool lead in a romance/harem anime like Usui from Kaichou wa Maid-sama. Not a shy nobody but maybe someone popular or just cool.

I hate to use this as an example. But Makoto from School Days. I don't like the fact that he cheated and he was a dick, but he could get girls and he didn't mind kissing or having sex with them.

If you could keep as close as possible to my examples of characters - excluding Makoto, I was just using him to explain a point - that would be great.

Btw, if possible, as little drama as possible. I hate it where the guy cheats in an anime (Bokura ga ita) etc.

BUT, I know anime like that are hard to come across so suggest ones with drama in also, it's just that, for romance type anime, a prefer them to be light-hearted - Kaichou wa Maid-sama

09-23-12, 3:45 PM

I would recommend maybe REC as romance and Chromed shell regios (not sure if it is written right) and Katanagatari (the main is very strong and he surprises you at some point how strong he really is
)

09-23-12, 3:50 PM

Hagure Yuusha.

MC is THE coolest, most chevalieric, and nicest guy in my anime history.

He's not like those pussy males that other anime creators place into shitty harems.

09-23-12, 3:51 PM

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari maybe? I haven't watched it yet, but it's action/harem and from what I hear, the MC's pretty badass.

09-23-12, 3:58 PM

For a romance, probably Kimi ni Todoke. The male protagonist is popular.

The romance might be too slow for your liking, though.

09-23-12, 4:00 PM

He is already watching HY, but yes he is pretty awesome.
Isekai is also a very good anime.
Kimi ni Todoken was painfully slow.
Maybe Zero no tsukaima, the male lead starts of kind of weak but gets a lot stronger during the course of the anime. It has a lot of romance (kissing) and even though there is a lot of harem he always says to the main lead that he only loves her.

09-23-12, 4:06 PM

marcosmk said:
Maybe Zero no tsukaima, the male lead starts of kind of weak but gets a lot stronger during the course of the anime. It has a lot of romance (kissing) and even though there is a lot of harem he always says to the main lead that he only loves her.

Indeed, painfully slow.

The second season is also horrendously slow, although it manages to redeem itself in the second half.

09-23-12, 4:25 PM

I wish they would make an anime where the Main leads get into a relationship early on and they would show their affection throughout the anime (kissing, hugging and even sex, without making it into a hentai, like in Kimi ga nozomu eien).

09-23-12, 4:32 PM

I like that idea, too.

Although, the main component of most romances would be how the main leads actually get together in the first place.

But I agree, that type of anime would be nice and refreshing.

Edited for slight grammar error. :'|
Modified by catalysst, 09-23-12, 4:54 PM

09-23-12, 7:37 PM

Hagure yuusha no estetica
-harem but main character is a badass

09-23-12, 9:58 PM

marcosmk said:

with ZnT, he get's strong by somewhere between episode 2 or 3 in season 1 lol
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum

09-23-12, 11:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the recs!

I think I'll try REC.

I've seen Isekai, that's also a pretty good example of an OP lead.

I actually dropped Kimi no Todoke and ZnT.

Kimi was too slow, liek you all said, and I could never get into ZnT. I think I got around halfway through the first season, the romance was decent, but the characters annoyed me.

09-24-12, 12:38 AM

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also hate weak/wimply leads and I will drop an anime if I find don't find strength in lead characters.

I enjoyed the 1st season of Kimi mainly to watch Sawako develop but as the romance was slow it didn't make an impact to the story. So don't watch it for the romance. 2nd season I skipped the entire first 8 episodes because I heard about the frustration of the stupid love triangles and annoying drama (there's good drama and there's annoying drama....kimi fell into the latter). But watched episode 9 onwards and I loved it so it made watching Kimi more enjoyable and I felt I didn't miss anything.

I can suggest Nodame Cantabile for Comedy/Romance. Male Lead is not wimpy at all...actually he's arrogant to start of with.

I can also suggest Itazura na Kiss for Romantic comedy. Male Lead is coldhearted at first but changes over time. This is a good series if you want to see a relationship develop much much further than any other romantic anime. Good solid ending too. It's a slow build up for the first 8 episodes but keep with it and it does get very romantic.

The above anime is not heavy on drama - there is a little more drama in ItK but it gets resolved and doesn't get too intense.

I would like suggestions for myself for anime with strong leads :) Don't mind if it's action/romance as long as there is a decent romance subplot.
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!

09-24-12, 3:55 AM

Uhmm you are looking a good mature romance, for what I see...So first:

Rec, I'll second this one, a must anime in this theme.
Salaryman Kintarou, I know it's not well known, but indeed has all the things you're looking for.
Kaichou Wa Maid Sama, Usui is maybe too perfect in this anime...
Macross Frontier
Berserk
GTO (Not romance, but still a must in cool MC)

This is my kind of anime so if you have any doubt or you're looking for anymore, ask me, and maybe with my limited knowledge ill be able to help you

09-24-12, 1:35 PM

lol i also love anime like this but unfortunately as you said just about in every new anime the MC is a total wimp and doesn't want to fight but some good ones that unfortunately dont have romance id suggest
berserk-little bit older towards the end has romance
blade of the immortal-i thought he really just won fights because he was immortal
gun grave
gun x sword-loved this one would love it if a 2nd season came out and usually this anime goes unnoticed by a lot
afro samurai-very short but totally bad ass

09-25-12, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys, I'm currently watching:

Gungrave and Blade of the Immortal...

Keep the recs coming

09-25-12, 12:44 PM

I dunno Cowboy Bebop,Samurai Champloo,Afro Samurai

09-25-12, 1:03 PM

Fate/Zero
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou

09-25-12, 1:43 PM

@render I've seen those :(

@taketori Fate/Zero doesn't really have a main char, but seeing as I haven't seen it, I'll check it out :)

09-25-12, 2:55 PM

LancelotTypeZero said:
Hagure yuusha no estetica
-harem but main character is a badass

^^ This has what you want. No spineless lead, no nose bleeds, but he's a badass with a heart of gold lol.

09-25-12, 3:15 PM

stanklem28 said:
Hagure Yuusha.

Seconded, I gave it a 10 out of spite for every other anime with shitty MC.

09-27-12, 3:20 PM

JonyJC said:
stanklem28 said:
Hagure Yuusha.

Seconded, I gave it a 10 out of spite for every other anime with shitty MC.

I agree, they need to start making some better protags!!

09-27-12, 8:56 PM

Hayate No Gotoku.
Clannad.
To Aru Majutsu No Index.
High School Of The Dead.
Soul Eater.

I have a sickness called gettingarousedbyhorieyui'svoice syndrome.

09-28-12, 10:31 AM

Sa-chan_ said:
Hayate No Gotoku.
Clannad.
To Aru Majutsu No Index.
High School Of The Dead.
Soul Eater.

Seen all of them :(

10-15-12, 3:21 PM

Bump

10-15-12, 3:47 PM

You want to go GAR?

These are not 100% true to your request, but have very badass leads, in fact 2 of the most badass leads ever:

Salaryman Kintarou (Just watch it without prejudice, Kintarou is just awesome. It has comedy, some romance and a lot of fist fights, but is definitely not your classical 'action anime'. The MC is very strong, but not overpowered and has no superpower or anything.)
Golgo 13 (Well, this one has a knid of overpowered protagonist and also frequently action. There's sex, but not a lot of romance going on. The lead is the epitome of badass. Fully episodic though, no real coherent story to it.)

10-15-12, 3:54 PM

Thanks!

I've already seen a couple of episodes of Golgo 13, but I can't get into it just yet, though I'll give it another try.

I'd heard of Salaryman Kintarou before, but I never checked it out, so I will now. Thanks :D

04-23-13, 10:48 PM

You should watch Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited- Hyoubu Kyousuke then.
The main character Hyoubu Kyousuke is really badass with his overpowering psychic powers. The anime has lots of action too.

04-24-13, 4:45 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
You want to go GAR?

These are not 100% true to your request, but have very badass leads, in fact 2 of the most badass leads ever:

Salaryman Kintarou (Just watch it without prejudice, Kintarou is just awesome. It has comedy, some romance and a lot of fist fights, but is definitely not your classical 'action anime'. The MC is very strong, but not overpowered and has no superpower or anything.)
Golgo 13 (Well, this one has a knid of overpowered protagonist and also frequently action. There's sex, but not a lot of romance going on. The lead is the epitome of badass. Fully episodic though, no real coherent story to it.)

Salaryman Kintarou is a too underrated series that can with GTO for example. I really second that one.

04-24-13, 5:05 AM

Haiyore Nyaruko-san, the MC's forks are so overpowered it isn't even funny..

04-24-13, 5:23 AM

Noodsnoodle said:
I've asked this time and time again, but apparently, nowadays (excluding some GOOD anime), the protagonist is badass to the extent that he is a child that cries all the time but has a mysterious over-powered ability, but never uses it because of some morality shit.

What I mean is that some kid gets a power, but won't use it because killing is wrong - even while some evil stereotypical villain is killing his friends- then he saves the world without killing anyone, instead the villain somehow repents just before he kills everything. Blah. Blah. Blah.

OR

In a romance/harem/ecchi anime where the lead is having a nosebleed every other scene, or whenever he is hit on by a girl, he runs away.

I'm looking for two types of protags in two types of anime.

1) A cold/heartless/mysterious/badass lead in an action anime like Hei from Darker Than Black, Kazuma from Kaze no stigma or Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate.

Basically, they need to be over powered from the start, and have no qualms about hurting/killing anyone, mabye gets a girl or two or three etc.

Devil may cry.I wonder how noone mentioned that.
My blog,expect a lot of things about anime,computer science and metal music:http://thebluedrag.blogspot.com/

04-24-13, 7:31 AM

Code:Breaker
1st Type of Character

07-29-13, 7:06 PM

I am a huge fan of this "genera" of anime so I think I have a couple

1) Aria the Scarlet Ammo, or Hidan no Aria

2) High School DxD

3) IS: Infinite Stratos

4) A Certain Magical Index, or To Aru Majutsu No Index

5) Campione!

Some of the main roles may be a seem like they are scared at first but when they realize their power, they become complete badasses. Plus to make it all the better, All are harems, which every badass in anime should have XD. (Though a certain magical index is considered a harem, i don't because it mostly circles around 2 girls who like him and doest really build on the other girls)

07-30-13, 1:12 PM

One Outs and Akagi. They have a badass main character and a similair number of girls with traces of brains or personality as an average harem show.

07-30-13, 2:21 PM

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Overpowered and badass...

07-31-13, 2:55 AM

Please don't bump/necro threads that you didn't start. Most of all, please read the forums first before anything else.

10-19-13, 4:19 PM

I see that the post is a little bit old but since I have same kinds of worries mself, I would like to give some suggestions and hear your suggestions as well.

I am a big fan of Usui (even though I am a man) because male leads in other romance animes generally ruins men's pride. They are so weak that it is annoying. Especially guys in Harem animes are making those series too unrealistic. putting that nosebleed thing aside, male leads are having hard time to find about feelings of the other girls. Let me explain: Boku wa Tomodachi is a great example for this. Since that is the plot of the anime I can't say they screwed up with the attitude of male lead but all the other animes should avoid that kind of noob male leads. That is the reason why romance in Sword Art Online is way too nice and lovely that I come to love it. If you consider SAO as romance anime U can easily see it's significance (I know they screwed up the scenario later thou). Not just the romance, action animes need cool guys too Male Lead if possible. I hated Ichigo from Bleach because of him can't being cool. So here is some sugg:

U can Try Clannad
Myself ; Yourself
Sukitte Ii na yo.
Special A as drama/romance

Rurouni Kenshin
Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion
DMC
His weakness is a kind heart that doesn't match with a killer.
His strength is the strength to live on bearing the pain of the sorrowful heart worse than death.

10-19-13, 6:47 PM

stanklem28 said:
Hagure Yuusha.

MC is THE coolest, most chevalieric, and nicest guy in my anime history.

He's not like those pussy males that other anime creators place into shitty harems.

I totally agree with you.. thank you for pointing that out.

doyalike said:
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari maybe? I haven't watched it yet, but it's action/harem and from what I hear, the MC's pretty badass.

The mc is really badass he's like the most powerful on the other world and even the teachers can't teach him the sword because his way more powerful and expert at the sword.

10-29-13, 8:28 PM

Heroic Age

10-29-13, 10:02 PM

marcosmk said:
I wish they would make an anime where the Main leads get into a relationship early on and they would show their affection throughout the anime (kissing, hugging and even sex, without making it into a hentai, like in Kimi ga nozomu eien).
Itazura Na Kiss (something similiar to that) is exactly like this, I don't like romance only anime much, but this was a good one.

Also I'm gonna rec Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Itazura Na Kiss (MC is really popular and is an ass/acknowledges his popularity, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

I lurk on the forums more than I post.

11-10-13, 9:42 PM

I haven't looked at all the post yet but i feel like i should say "sword art online"
it's pretty much what you are looking for

then there's also "yuyu hakusho" if your looing for an anime longer ther one season. it may be an older series but definitely worth getting into.

then there is of course "The legend of legendary heros" the name may throw you off but don't let it fool you because its a great anime.

All three have main characters that are powerful, cool, definitely not shy.

Sorry if i wasn't helpful but since this is my first post on this site i'm still learning the ins and outs.

01-30-14, 2:48 AM

hey, know its an old one now but ill just give you some of my favourites that fit the criteria.
- Hagure (obvious one)
-campione
-salaryman kintarou
-ichiban ushiro no daimaou
-freezing (not so much but still fucking good)
-sword art online (bit of a bitch)
-chrome shelled regios
-golgo 13
last and probably least least
sekirei
they'll knock ya socks off
"MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND I MIGHT NOT STUCK YOU"♋️

01-30-14, 3:27 AM

Chrono Crusade - romance, comedy, supernatural
Zetman - horror, mystery, romance, supernatural
Angel Beats - action, comedy
Tales of the Abyss - action, adventure, fantasy, romance, comedy

03-07-14, 8:13 AM

Baccano!
Btooom!
Brave 10
DMC
Chrome Shelled Regios
Hidan no Aria
Kingdom
Machine-doll was kizutukanai
Peace Maker Kurogane
Psycho-pass
Rurouni Kenshin
Tears to tiara
Sorry if I'm repeating anyone with any of these. Personally I want to to find an anime with an OP character who doesn't have some annoying ideology (a psychopathic mc would be nice) especially the guys who "only fight so they can live peacefully with their friends".

08-25-14, 1:57 PM

This far only series I've found like this are:

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
School Days
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!,

Also looking similar series all the time. Strong male leads are obviously common in anime, but usually there's no romance/girls involved. I also hate series like op posted "anime where the lead is having a nosebleed every other scene, or whenever he is hit on by a girl, he runs away". I'd be happy if most of series would be like Kaichou wa Maid-sama! or hagure yuusha no estica instead of current mainstream. There's no need for giant boobs or lots of naked chicks, all I'd want is decent show and not wimp male lead. School days is fine, but have to say..unique and probably there's some watchers who really like it and some who really hate it :)

08-25-14, 3:14 PM

Cannot believe this anime hasn't been mentioned yet. The guy is a bamf and has no qualms about inflicting pain and killing when necessary.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei

08-25-14, 4:45 PM

bluebaron034 said:
Cannot believe this anime hasn't been mentioned yet. The guy is a bamf and has no qualms about inflicting pain and killing when necessary.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei

Well the anime wasn't mentioned because this post is from 2013...

08-25-14, 5:16 PM

2012..Dat necro.

08-25-14, 6:44 PM

• No Game No Life (must watch, fucking amazing!)
  • Full Metal Panic! (second season is purely comedic, but all the same, fucking amazing! [3 seasons])
  • Hataraku Maou-sama! (Demon Lord, obviously OP, not much romance, some action)
  • Blood Lad (epic vampire main vampire, not too much romance)
  • Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (pretty close to what you're looking for, OP hero teamed with genius demon lord + romance)
  • Ao no Exorcist (kind of OP main, gets stronger, not a bitch-wimp main)
  • Bastard!! (pretty old, but OP main all the same)
  • K (awesome story, cool main)

I tried to mention only shows that haven't been previously.

10-23-14, 9:37 PM

Feng Shen Ji (manga) the main characters second only to alucard in terms of badass that's all I got, every other one has been named, I'd like a main character that can see a girl naked infront of him and be unfazed like Grisaia no Kajitsu

he saw one of the female sneak into his room sniff his pillow and start masturbating on his bed and he was unfazed, no giant pervert no cover eyes and run like a little bitch he just walks in and even mocks her and refers to her as a bitch in heat at one point but isn't mean just a little joke.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »