Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2012 1:27 PM

Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well first I got a james Bond feeling, then I didn't get the story anymore
I don't know who the characters are so I don't really have the right to complain , I think.. I do kind of like Tomokazu Sugita's character ;)
I wasn't suprised about the death of that former Mama leader, that was pretty mean
of David, but his escapes are epic
LunaSep 23, 2012 12:51 AM
Sep 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Oct 2011
What I really want to know about is the last scene?
Sep 12, 2012 6:24 PM
Nov 2010
A .hack with people actually getting killed, that was kinda refreshing compared to the others.

But no Aura, this upsets me.
Sep 13, 2012 8:36 AM
Sep 2011
It's my first encounter with the .hack franchise (I only stumbled on this OVA accidently) but it definitely got me intrigued. I especially liked the quiet moments as they helped to create a somber and suspenseful atmosphere.
Sep 23, 2012 12:50 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Placeholder post for proper episode discussion thread.
Sep 25, 2012 12:48 PM
Feb 2010
im confused :S
Oct 4, 2012 1:26 PM
Oct 2012
That quote at the very last second. I remember it from .hack//G.U. It was one of the random quotes from Schrodinger (an NPC in the game). He always had these philosophical lines.
Oct 6, 2012 10:18 PM

Nov 2008
Ooh. Someone translated this? Gotta watch it.

And as far as not getting it goes...yeah, I'd figure that'd happen. When there's one entire game that we haven't translated (discounting Versus), that's kind of what you should expect to happen. A lot of the necessary info you probably would need to know for this is in the .hack//Link game.
Dec 19, 2012 12:45 AM

Mar 2010
After watching the movie and then this.. I couldn't believe ELeanor was a traitor..but I had no choice but to. But damn was this Thanatos Report confusing at the same time >< Then again.. I have not/cannot play .hack//versus. Can't play a game I don't understand the language of after all.

But from what I understand.. This takes place some time after the movie, but before the game? At least I'm guessing so.. pretty sure that was Tanaka who found the Aura chip. But how/why is Aura inside a chip like that anyways confuses me even more. I was following the .hack story pretty well up until a year or 2 ago. Seems like it just keeps dragging on and producing more questions then answers but I dunno.. rawr
Jan 4, 2013 3:39 PM

May 2007
MoonFox said:
After watching the movie and then this.. I couldn't believe ELeanor was a traitor..but I had no choice but to. But damn was this Thanatos Report confusing at the same time >< Then again.. I have not/cannot play .hack//versus. Can't play a game I don't understand the language of after all.

But from what I understand.. This takes place some time after the movie, but before the game? At least I'm guessing so.. pretty sure that was Tanaka who found the Aura chip. But how/why is Aura inside a chip like that anyways confuses me even more. I was following the .hack story pretty well up until a year or 2 ago. Seems like it just keeps dragging on and producing more questions then answers but I dunno.. rawr

I watched the movie before watching the OVA, it didn't confuse me or anything by watching it in this order, which I think is the right way to do it but it still only really left a lot of unanswered questions for me.

This movie and the OVA are the only proper ".hack" things I've ever seen before, never played any of the games either. The only .hack I did see before today was ".hack//G.U. Trilogy: Parody Mode", which is just a 6-minute short I watched a long time ago.

After watching the movie, which I enjoyed somewhat and I thought the CGI animation was done very well, despite being completely CGI, it still looked and felt like an anime. However, the Thanatos Report OVA was done in regular anime fashion, so I was little surprised, I thought they were going to do CGI again.

Anyways after watching both, I really want to get into the .hack franchise by playing all the important games and watching all the animes related to this franchise and possibly get my hands on as many of the mangas that are related to the franchise.

I truly want to immerse myself in it's world and I would like some advice on how to, like do I watch all the animes first or play the games and in which order.

My score for the Sekai no Mukou CGI movie I'm giving it a 8/10.

My score for the Thanatos Report OVA is 7/10.
JCDRANZERJan 4, 2013 3:45 PM
Aug 23, 2013 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
wasted 20 minutes of my life
Feb 26, 2014 6:58 PM
Feb 2014
Kinda coming in late here, but for anyone wondering why Aura was in the chip in the first place...

They don't show this in the movie (Sekai no Mukou ni), but if you read the manga for it, at the very end of everything, David (in his Anubis looking avatar), approaches Aura, calling her "Origin". We later see him on a plane holding a tie clip which was supposedly what he had held Aura in.

Also, there is a hidden trailer in //Link that you have to type in a password to get which shows David talking on the phone and commenting how Origin is located on the Japanese servers (his main reason for coming back to Japan in the first place). Video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkKvdccT3c
Apr 25, 2014 2:29 AM

Jul 2008
Kinda tied into the movie, David met an unfortunate end and Tanaka ended up with Aura.

There was a game with this though?
Nov 16, 2019 12:11 AM

Apr 2016
That death was hilarious...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Oct 5, 2020 9:57 AM

May 2012
It was quite interesting to see those cgi characters in 2D art. I must however say that I didn't expect that kind of betrayal from Elenor.

Still this episode and that ending was quite spectacular I must say, and so we come to one of the last entrees of the current dot hack anime line.

I do wonder if we ever see any continuation on this to be honest, especially with that kind of ending.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.