Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 16, 2012 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
jlr2m said:
Mikasa said:
@MM-Rosiie as of ep. 5 I don't see any decline :p

jlr2m said:
Maybe kurapika was able to beat Uvo because of the conditions on his chain, but how was he able to :

-become that fast (Uvo couldn't keep up with him at some point)
-take a straight 100% big bang impact, and get away with only his arm broken
-learn such advanced technics, such as In an Gyo

All of that in 6 months.

1. Well KP is small and Uvo is big so that's a natural advantage, not to mention that he usually catches him off-guard and Uvo himself stayed away because of the chain.
2. Ko? He's also an enhancer at the time remember?
EDIT: Also KP is not the same as the ground which means less resistance for him so he'd just get knocked away 100 feet in the air instead of eating the whole punch with max resistance and gets obliterated

3. Well they're not that advanced, Gon learned it in a few days, Killua even less. Kurapika had 6 months, that's way more than enough to become a PRO at using them

1- Being small is definetly an advantage on kurapika's side, however this wasn't applied in Gon vs Hanzo for example. And Uvo staying away is an argument against kurapika, since Uvo should have enough time to see KP comming. I'm not saying that Uvo should be faster than KP, I'm saying he should be able to see his movements, and not get attacked from behind.

2- Big bang impact(BBI), is an explosion. In the manga it's compared to a small missile. You can't expect KP to survive a missile just by not being the groun. And KP's Ko shouldn't be that good, Uvo spent years to perfect his BBI.

3- Well, Gon and Killua learned only Gyo. KP learned Ko and In, and the 6 months weren't only for these technics, he also materialized 5 very powerful chains, at least 3 of them can be used against any opponent(not only the spiders). He also learned to "controle" the emperor's time, he can go in and out of it at will(this will be said in the next few episodes). Not to mention the time he spent in looking for an adequate job, and in getting info about the spiders.

In my opinion, it should take KP at least a year per chain for him to use them that effitiently. Uvo for example, spent years perfecting his BBI.And as you'll see, Gon and Killua will spend too much time to improve there special attacks. KP, on the other hand, learned nen form 0, and mastered 5 special attacks in less than 6 months.

4- How come, someone as experienced as Uvo doesn't use Gyo in a serious fight. If he had used it, he wouldn't have been caught by the chain jail. At least not that easily.

1. Size in the Hanzo case is related to Gon's body not being fully grown and not his agility. Besides, Hanzo's a ninja. And as I said there wasn't a moment where it was all about speed. Uvo kept himself at a distance too
2. Yea they compared its magnitude, but it's just a nen-infused punch, it doesn't REALLY explode on the spot. It deals damage and the results depend on what he's hitting.

3. I don't see how Gon not learning In indicates its difficulty and the time it requires. As I said Gyo took a few days, so can In. So basically he took 3 months for Nen overall as well as a week for In/Gyo and 3 additional months for his Hatsu.

I don't think he can control his eye, he's wearing the lenses for a reason: To hide them in case he sees a spider.

getting a job required only learning Nen, he went once before learning, and then after finishing it.
Finding the agency was before he started the six month training so it doesn't really count as part of that.

Based on what? Why would it take a year to conjure a single chain. KP would have a better time using Emission than waste a year on a lackey ability that requires such time and effort. Gon and Killua weren't learning day and night. They barely learn for a few weeks and then they do something else. KP's training was intensive.

4)
Also KP fooled him into thinking it was a regular chain manipulated and not really a conjured chain that can be rendered invisible. So why would he even think of doing so? It tells you that KP succeeded in fooling him but it's not Uvo's fault.
It's like blaming L for
:P
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 2:26 PM

Mar 2009
Why does this series have average rating of 8.39?

This episode alone should raise the rating to a 10! xD

Loved it, completely amazing. I was soo afraid of them making this shit with full of censors etc, but it was a blast!
Sep 16, 2012 2:31 PM

Aug 2012
noonealive said:
meshimoon said:
meshimoon said:
^ if a hax ability is hax, it doesn't matter if it's well-explained or not, it's still hax. I don't think Emperor Time is such a terrible offender though.

noonealive said:
meshimoon said:
^ I thought 'hax' just means that something's (almost ridiculously) super-powerful compared to other stuff? whether or not it's got a reason.

It's not a hax. If you think it's a hax than you not paying attention to the story. It took him 6 months to gain the ability. He grew up making such a choice. So no it's not a hax. If you think it's a hax than you obviously have less intellect and don't understand developments of stories.

Also why did his whole tribe get killed. I thought those eyes had hax abilities.

the bolded. but is there really any reason to try to insult whoever has a varying view on a possibly debatable/subjective matter?

general question: is it confirmed that anybody from the Kurta tribe was specialization when their eyes turned red? and not just Kurapika? because I had assumed only Kurapika had Emperor Time and the ability only activating when his eyes were red being a condition instead of a genetic trait.

Exactly my point. Your resorting to the context of the story to explain your point. But when it comes to Kurpaiks skills...in your logic explanations mean nothing.

This is how you responded......So what explainations or not it's still a hax ability. I'm sorry to tell you but it's not a hax ability. He GREW up to use his eyes the way he does. I'll give you a hypothetical situation.

Say Kuarpika grew up the same way as Gon and never had any sort of dark past. Kurpika grows to become an enhancer just like Gon. When Gon gets emotional and mad his nen powers will be further amplified. When Kurapika gets emotional (Scarlet Eyes activated) his powers will be just as amplified. His eyes are completely insignificant in this scenario period. It's an emotional trigger instead of a Hax ability. I don't want to sound like a dick...it's just that he lived a life of revenge. His eyes trigger that revenge. Everytime he see's spiders his eyes light up. Thats my point.

None of what i'm saying contradicts nen or the story period. This topic isn't debatable at all. It's only debatable if you contradict the context of the story. Find a contradiction than i'll see your point.

...I still feel like we're using different definitions of "hax". Like I said before, I'm using it as just meaning "super-powerful compared to another" and just that. Reasons/justification doesn't have anything to do with the word, at least the way I use it. And since Kurapika was owning Uvo quite badly, I say his ability could be considered to be a bit hax.
If you mean hax as in "overpowered with not enough justification", then yeah, you might be "right", though I still believe that what is considered to be "enough" or "overpowered" is rather subjective.

And I never said I thought Kurapika's ability was hax, or not expounded on, yet if I'm reading your post correctly, it seems like you're saying that I did.
Sep 16, 2012 3:02 PM

Nov 2009
Godlike episode ! It was so epic.

This was everything that I expected from this episode and even more. Madhouse studios just too good <3 .
Sep 16, 2012 3:04 PM

Jan 2012
meshimoon said:
noonealive said:
meshimoon said:
meshimoon said:
^ if a hax ability is hax, it doesn't matter if it's well-explained or not, it's still hax. I don't think Emperor Time is such a terrible offender though.

noonealive said:
meshimoon said:
^ I thought 'hax' just means that something's (almost ridiculously) super-powerful compared to other stuff? whether or not it's got a reason.

It's not a hax. If you think it's a hax than you not paying attention to the story. It took him 6 months to gain the ability. He grew up making such a choice. So no it's not a hax. If you think it's a hax than you obviously have less intellect and don't understand developments of stories.

Also why did his whole tribe get killed. I thought those eyes had hax abilities.

the bolded. but is there really any reason to try to insult whoever has a varying view on a possibly debatable/subjective matter?

general question: is it confirmed that anybody from the Kurta tribe was specialization when their eyes turned red? and not just Kurapika? because I had assumed only Kurapika had Emperor Time and the ability only activating when his eyes were red being a condition instead of a genetic trait.

Exactly my point. Your resorting to the context of the story to explain your point. But when it comes to Kurpaiks skills...in your logic explanations mean nothing.

This is how you responded......So what explainations or not it's still a hax ability. I'm sorry to tell you but it's not a hax ability. He GREW up to use his eyes the way he does. I'll give you a hypothetical situation.

Say Kuarpika grew up the same way as Gon and never had any sort of dark past. Kurpika grows to become an enhancer just like Gon. When Gon gets emotional and mad his nen powers will be further amplified. When Kurapika gets emotional (Scarlet Eyes activated) his powers will be just as amplified. His eyes are completely insignificant in this scenario period. It's an emotional trigger instead of a Hax ability. I don't want to sound like a dick...it's just that he lived a life of revenge. His eyes trigger that revenge. Everytime he see's spiders his eyes light up. Thats my point.

None of what i'm saying contradicts nen or the story period. This topic isn't debatable at all. It's only debatable if you contradict the context of the story. Find a contradiction than i'll see your point.

...I still feel like we're using different definitions of "hax". Like I said before, I'm using it as just meaning "super-powerful compared to another" and just that. Reasons/justification doesn't have anything to do with the word, at least the way I use it. And since Kurapika was owning Uvo quite badly, I say his ability could be considered to be a bit hax.
If you mean hax as in "overpowered with not enough justification", then yeah, you might be "right", though I still believe that what is considered to be "enough" or "overpowered" is rather subjective.

And I never said I thought Kurapika's ability was hax, or not expounded on, yet if I'm reading your post correctly, it seems like you're saying that I did.

Oh...I can see why you think that. HxH explains and put logic behind not only their powers but how the situation is handled. If Uvo was smarter in the fight he would have had an advantage as well. Chrollo would whipe the floor with Kurpaika like nothing. Uvo's arrogance is what lead to his defeat and fell into Kurapika's pace.

Theres no justifying here. Theres a difference between whats black and white...(how you see everything) to whats grey. What your saying isn't the same thing I'm saying at all. I don't see Kurapika's ability as hax because frankly it doesn't work on anybody but the spiders. So no, it's not a hax ability of any sort period.

He has advantages in certain area's but it doesn't mean that he can completely whipe out the spiders just be himself. One-on-one is the only time he could have any sort of advantage in using his powers. Depending on which spider he's facing he could easily be beaten. I just see it as an ability he has, but in the end it doesn't necessarily make him OP because of them.

noonealiveSep 16, 2012 3:12 PM
Sep 16, 2012 3:06 PM

Mar 2012
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt next episode will have more YYH references hopefully
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 3:09 PM

Jul 2009
I think I'm showing a lot of restraint by avoiding the capslock button.

This episode was great! I really like the contrast in character; Uvo takes pleasure in the kill, but Kurapika feels disgusted even as he carries out his revenge.

Brutal, thoughtful, AWESOME! Kurapika will always be my fave of the main cast.
Sep 16, 2012 3:12 PM
May 2012
Mikasa said:
jlr2m said:
Mikasa said:

jlr2m said:
Maybe kurapika was able to beat Uvo because of the conditions on his chain, but how was he able to :

All of that in 6 months.

1. Well KP is small and Uvo is big so that's a natural advantage, not to mention that he usually catches him off-guard and Uvo himself stayed away because of the chain.
EDIT: Also KP is not the same as the ground which means less resistance for him so he'd just get knocked away 100 feet in the air instead of eating the whole punch with max resistance and gets obliterated

3. Well they're not that advanced, Gon learned it in a few days, Killua even less. Kurapika had 6 months, that's way more than enough to become a PRO at using them

1- Being small is definetly an advantage on kurapika's side, however this wasn't applied in Gon vs Hanzo for example. And Uvo staying away is an argument against kurapika, since Uvo should have enough time to see KP comming. I'm not saying that Uvo should be faster than KP, I'm saying he should be able to see his movements, and not get attacked from behind.

2- Big bang impact(BBI), is an explosion. In the manga it's compared to a small missile. You can't expect KP to survive a missile just by not being the groun. And KP's Ko shouldn't be that good, Uvo spent years to perfect his BBI.

3- Well, Gon and Killua learned only Gyo. KP learned Ko and In, and the 6 months weren't only for these technics, he also materialized 5 very powerful chains, at least 3 of them can be used against any opponent(not only the spiders). He also learned to "controle" the emperor's time, he can go in and out of it at will(this will be said in the next few episodes). Not to mention the time he spent in looking for an adequate job, and in getting info about the spiders.

In my opinion, it should take KP at least a year per chain for him to use them that effitiently. Uvo for example, spent years perfecting his BBI.And as you'll see, Gon and Killua will spend too much time to improve there special attacks. KP, on the other hand, learned nen form 0, and mastered 5 special attacks in less than 6 months.

4- How come, someone as experienced as Uvo doesn't use Gyo in a serious fight. If he had used it, he wouldn't have been caught by the chain jail. At least not that easily.

1. Size in the Hanzo case is related to Gon's body not being fully grown and not his agility. Besides, Hanzo's a ninja. And as I said there wasn't a moment where it was all about speed. Uvo kept himself at a distance too
2. Yea they compared its magnitude, but it's just a nen-infused punch, it doesn't REALLY explode on the spot. It deals damage and the results depend on what he's hitting.

3. I don't see how Gon not learning In indicates its difficulty and the time it requires. As I said Gyo took a few days, so can In. So basically he took 3 months for Nen overall as well as a week for In/Gyo and 3 additional months for his Hatsu.

I don't think he can control his eye, he's wearing the lenses for a reason: To hide them in case he sees a spider.

getting a job required only learning Nen, he went once before learning, and then after finishing it.
Finding the agency was before he started the six month training so it doesn't really count as part of that.

Based on what? Why would it take a year to conjure a single chain. KP would have a better time using Emission than waste a year on a lackey ability that requires such time and effort. Gon and Killua weren't learning day and night. They barely learn for a few weeks and then they do something else. KP's training was intensive.

4)
Also KP fooled him into thinking it was a regular chain manipulated and not really a conjured chain that can be rendered invisible. So why would he even think of doing so? It tells you that KP succeeded in fooling him but it's not Uvo's fault.
It's like blaming L for

1- The episode clearly showed, that Uvo couldn't keep his eyes on KP, this is a fact. I didn't say that the fight was all about speed, I just said that KP shouldn't be able to have Uvo losing track on him.

2- You may be right, I just felt that the strongest attack of the strongest member of the ryodan shouldn't do that little damage to KP. Especialy, that KP learned nen just in 6 months.

3- KP's chain's are too powerful for a novice nen user. In the episode, Uvo had to dodge KP's dowsing chain, it means that it's more powerful than that super bazooka thing that barely scratched Uvo's hand.
I mean, KP should have spent much more time in perfecting his 5 special attacks to be that powerful. I gave a year for each Special attack as an example, and I'm based on Uvo spending years perfecting his BBI, and Gon and Killua spending months for one special attack, and these 3 people are supposed to be gifted nen users.
About the emperor's time, I couldn't find where I saw it, I'm wrong probably.

4- I think, an experienced fighter, especialy someone that have as much aura as Uvo, should use Gyo at least in the begining of every serious fight, whether he feels the nessecity or not. You may not agree, but when I saw Hisoka's fights, I said to myself that you must be a fool not to use Gyo in a nen fight.
Sep 16, 2012 3:28 PM
Dec 2011
jlr2m said:
Mikasa said:
jlr2m said:
Mikasa said:

jlr2m said:

All of that in 6 months.

4)
It's like blaming L for

1- The episode clearly showed, that Uvo couldn't keep his eyes on KP, this is a fact. I didn't say that the fight was all about speed, I just said that KP shouldn't be able to have Uvo losing track on him.

2- You may be right, I just felt that the strongest attack of the strongest member of the ryodan shouldn't do that little damage to KP. Especialy, that KP learned nen just in 6 months.

3- KP's chain's are too powerful for a novice nen user. In the episode, Uvo had to dodge KP's dowsing chain, it means that it's more powerful than that super bazooka thing that barely scratched Uvo's hand.
I mean, KP should have spent much more time in perfecting his 5 special attacks to be that powerful. I gave a year for each Special attack as an example, and I'm based on Uvo spending years perfecting his BBI, and Gon and Killua spending months for one special attack, and these 3 people are supposed to be gifted nen users.
About the emperor's time, I couldn't find where I saw it, I'm wrong probably.

4- I think, an experienced fighter, especialy someone that have as much aura as Uvo, should use Gyo at least in the begining of every serious fight, whether he feels the nessecity or not. You may not agree, but when I saw Hisoka's fights, I said to myself that you must be a fool not to use Gyo in a nen fight.

Gyo (凝 Focus) is an advanced application of Ren by which a Nen-user concentrates a larger than normal portion of their aura into one specific body part. Gyo increases the strength of that one body part, but leaves the rest of the body more vulnerable. Gyo is most often used in the eyes, allowing a Nen-user to see aura and things which would otherwise be hidden (e.g. Nen objects hidden by In).

As you can see on the description, it would be fatal if a nen user will use Gyo while in the battle. It is more logical to use Ken than Gyo. XDl
Sep 16, 2012 3:35 PM

Mar 2012
@jlr2m

1) Kurapika kicked him in the face, by the time he got up, Kurapika had already snuck up on him, that's why. Still has nothing to do with speed itself.

3) Yes, it's made of Nen, powerful nen by an all-100% nen user, of course it's better than a bazooka, different type of damage of course, but more effective.

4) Why should he have used it at the start? Kurapika's chain was already out there...even if he did use it, there's nothing hidden. Since Kurapika wasn't using In back then. THAT is the plan.
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 3:42 PM
May 2012
ludexm said:

Gyo (凝 Focus) is an advanced application of Ren by which a Nen-user concentrates a larger than normal portion of their aura into one specific body part. Gyo increases the strength of that one body part, but leaves the rest of the body more vulnerable. Gyo is most often used in the eyes, allowing a Nen-user to see aura and things which would otherwise be hidden (e.g. Nen objects hidden by In).

As you can see on the description, it would be fatal if a nen user will use Gyo while in the battle. It is more logical to use Ken than Gyo. XDl

To my knowledge, In hidden objects cannot be seen just by using Ken.
Sep 16, 2012 3:47 PM
Aug 2011
Fantastic episode!!!
Kurapika was too badass!!!!
Sep 16, 2012 3:50 PM

Oct 2009
Actually, I noticed some small inconsistency in the fight scene, maybe it s the translation that is bad but Kurapika told Uvo to use Gyo to see the chain or something. He could not have done that if the chain puts him in a state of Zetsu can he? I think that part is slightly wrong.

About Hax stuff:
Sep 16, 2012 3:55 PM
Dec 2011
jlr2m said:
ludexm said:

To my knowledge, In hidden objects cannot be seen just by using Ken.

Yes in hidden objects it cannot be seen using Ken, however while in battle it is logical to dodge and defend (KEN) the actual attacks hovering to you right? It would be foolish for Uvogin to use Gyo while Kurapika is appearing and disappearing on his field of vision.

Also, There's no time for Uvogin to actually think that there's a chain masked with IN already wrapping in his body while he is concentrating to find Kurapika and preparing his aura to defend his body.

ludextotSep 16, 2012 4:04 PM
Sep 16, 2012 4:00 PM

Jan 2012
It didn't show him
TheDodo said:
Actually, I noticed some small inconsistency in the fight scene, maybe it s the translation that is bad but Kurapika told Uvo to use Gyo to see the chain or something. He could not have done that if the chain puts him in a state of Zetsu can he? I think that part is slightly wrong.

About Hax stuff:

Actually it isn't an inconsistency. Kurapika has the power to put him in a zetsu state or not. He's the one who controls what the chain does. Uvo wasn't shown using Gyo at all. Kurapika was the one showing him how the chain was used.
Sep 16, 2012 4:02 PM

Mar 2012
TheDodo said:

About Hax stuff:

Kurapika was commenting on Uvo being able to use Gyo (the specific one) since when he stated that he could use In, Uvo instantly realized his mistake and used gyo and saw the chains, then the chains started taking effect. And a bit later the In wore off since it wasn't needed anymore :P
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 4:18 PM
May 2012
Mikasa said:
@jlr2m

1) Kurapika kicked him in the face, by the time he got up, Kurapika had already snuck up on him, that's why. Still has nothing to do with speed itself.

3) Yes, it's made of Nen, powerful nen by an all-100% nen user, of course it's better than a bazooka, different type of damage of course, but more effective.

4) Why should he have used it at the start? Kurapika's chain was already out there...even if he did use it, there's nothing hidden. Since Kurapika wasn't using In back then. THAT is the plan.

1- Look at the top left panel, KP disapears and apears behind Uvo, which means tha Uvo's eyes couldn't keep up whith KP's speed.
And here, Uvo litteraly says, "you're quick!".

3- I don't get it. When KP is in Emperor time, is he using every nen type at 100%(in that case, he's the most powerful nen user in HxH), or does he just have the potential to use every nen type at 100% (which would just mean that he becomes a specialisation nen user).

4- If Uvo used gyo at the begining, he would have known tha KP uses 5 chains, and not only 4. And if during the fight, he starts seeing just 4, he would know that there is something wrong.
Sep 16, 2012 4:33 PM

Mar 2012
jlr2m said:
Mikasa said:
@jlr2m

1- Look at the top left panel, KP disapears and apears behind Uvo, which means tha Uvo's eyes couldn't keep up whith KP's speed.
And here, Uvo litteraly says, "you're quick!".

3- I don't get it. When KP is in Emperor time, is he using every nen type at 100%(in that case, he's the most powerful nen user in HxH), or does he just have the potential to use every nen type at 100% (which would just mean that he becomes a specialisation nen user).

4- If Uvo used gyo at the begining, he would have known tha KP uses 5 chains, and not only 4. And if during the fight, he starts seeing just 4, he would know that there is something wrong.

1. You're comparing a manga scene to the anime scene
And quick doesn't mean quicker, it could mean he underestimated him for all we know

2. He uses 100% of everything. That doesn't make him stronger. 100% means all of the skills that go under the category. Basically how efficient his (x) skills would be. If a conjurer is at lvl 100, he can only be a lvl 60 enhancer if he tried his best. Kurapika using 100% doesn't make him strongest. Basically assume he's lvl 10, instead of only being able to be lvl 6 enhancer, he can be lvl 10. But another enhancer who is at level 20 and mastered all the enhancement skills of enhancers, he can be level 20.

Example: A level 100 conjurer can be 60 enh. only, but at lvl 60 he is still stronger than Kurapika's level because despite knowing 100% of enhancement, his current level is just 10.
Sorry if I over-complicated things

4) Number of chains is irrelevant. Kurapika wasn't hiding any at the time. All 5 chains were present w/o using In. He can count them using normal eyes.
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 5:08 PM
May 2012
Mikasa said:

1. You're comparing a manga scene to the anime scene
And quick doesn't mean quicker, it could mean he underestimated him for all we know

2. He uses 100% of everything. That doesn't make him stronger. 100% means all of the skills that go under the category. Basically how efficient his (x) skills would be. If a conjurer is at lvl 100, he can only be a lvl 60 enhancer if he tried his best. Kurapika using 100% doesn't make him strongest. Basically assume he's lvl 10, instead of only being able to be lvl 6 enhancer, he can be lvl 10. But another enhancer who is at level 20 and mastered all the enhancement skills of enhancers, he can be level 20.

Example: A level 100 conjurer can be 60 enh. only, but at lvl 60 he is still stronger than Kurapika's level because despite knowing 100% of enhancement, his current level is just 10.
Sorry if I over-complicated things

4) Number of chains is irrelevant. Kurapika wasn't hiding any at the time. All 5 chains were present w/o using In. He can count them using normal eyes.

1- It's hard to link you to a specific scene in the anime, that's why I've chosen to use the manga, which is basicaly the same thing.
I wasn't complaining about KP being faster than Uvo, what bothers me is that KP is so fast that Uvo's "eyes" can't keep up whith him.

3- If I get it right, KP just becomes a specialisation nen user. In that case I think we'll never reach an agreement, since you think that 6 months are enough to master 5 special attacks, while I think it should take around 10 times more.

4- You're saying that initialy KP is hiding nothing ?
So Uvo didn't realise that the number of chains passed from 5 at the begining(or in the car) to 1 here for example. It's hard for me to buy it.
Sep 16, 2012 5:14 PM

Aug 2012
Rizzle said:
This episode was great! I really like the contrast in character; Uvo takes pleasure in the kill, but Kurapika feels disgusted even as he carries out his revenge.

I thought Uvo felt "nothing in particular" -w-
(though he definitely seems to take pleasure in fighting xP)
Sep 16, 2012 5:57 PM

Dec 2009
it's pretty meh, i prefer the fight in the original version and kurapika eye's is exaggerated here. Also BMG and way better than the new one.

I also prefer the aura effects in the original version because here it's like im watching DGZ LOL

Original Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7y44OEt1VU
gendouhydeistSep 16, 2012 6:08 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:01 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing animation and overall episode. Only thing the old did better was having more intense BGM during the fight scenes like this one:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn57LMgIpUo

I also liked the different approach with voice acting. The captured Uvogin scene DESTROYED the old version though! I really loved the added brutalilty in that scene and just the look in Kurapika's face overall (having 2 scarlet eyes is way more epic)

The old version had Kurapika show signs of regret after killing him, but this version makes him go straight up to calling his comrades! (as it is in the manga) I can't wait for MH to reach the later arcs : ) I'm so pleased with this version.
TerumiSep 16, 2012 6:10 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:24 PM

Sep 2008
I liked the fight in the old version more. I though the 2011 fight was way to slow and the BGM did not fit. How did they manage to drag the fight out into a whole episode almost :Þ

The high point was the death itself, it was done extremely well and the Ubogin's voice actor in the 2011 anime was great until the end. Overall decent fight, can't complain about the gore and blood either, a lot more of it in the 2011 version of the fight.
Sep 16, 2012 6:25 PM

Dec 2009
Old school vs new school, back in 1999 where still watching it on TV in 4:3 aspect ratio and also that time that was the best animated series at that time, that's why we could feel more impact in the original version than the new ones unbiased.

and yeah better DL DVD version of that episode the youtube quality destroy the animation.
Sep 16, 2012 6:27 PM

Jan 2012
gendouhydeist said:
it's pretty meh, i prefer the fight in the original version and kurapika eye's is exaggerated here. Also BMG and way better than the new one.

I also prefer the aura effects in the original version because here it's like im watching DGZ LOL

Original Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7y44OEt1VU

The thing about this post and the one above....You guys seen the older anime and already knew of whats to come. The people that are new to HxH in general actually felt the intensity and the meaning of the battle.

Anyways it's all subjective but 1999 nostalgia bias is easily present.

Here's an unbiased opinion of a person who hasn't read the manga or watched the 1999 anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErI6mwEp7j8

Heres a video of a person who has seen both the manga and the older anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSP3hAtfM4
noonealiveSep 16, 2012 6:34 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:32 PM

Nov 2011
The fight was incredible! It Truly felt like the manga has come to life :) *Big round of applause for Madhouse. Also R.I.P. Uvogin :(
Sep 16, 2012 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
uvogin sacrificed by light yagami to gain more intel on kurapika. nothing will stop light from becoming god
Sep 17, 2012 12:39 AM

Oct 2011
I knew Kurapika was pretty strong, but wow... this fight was really fitting for this tone in this arc, definitely the best episode so far. Makes me wonder why they insist keeping the cheery opening, it seems like things will just get darker from here.
Sep 17, 2012 1:07 AM

Mar 2012
Epic Episode. Blow my Expectation away.

Just make me more sad to realize this serie will run out of material in a year as it catch up to the manga because the author is too ill to continues writing the manga.
Sep 17, 2012 3:23 AM
Oct 2011
Mephz said:
I liked the fight in the old version more. I though the 2011 fight was way to slow and the BGM did not fit. How did they manage to drag the fight out into a whole episode almost :Þ
It's because of the flash-back. in the 1999 version they animated Kurapika's training before Yorkshin, in this episode they did things just like in the manga, the flash-back's place is here.

leeo268 said:

Just make me more sad to realize this serie will run out of material in a year as it catch up to the manga because the author is too ill to continues writing the manga.
No, it can easily air for another 2 years and a half without any fillers. Besides Togashi is working on the movie atm so he might come back in Mars/April next year after the movie is out.
Sep 17, 2012 4:19 AM
Mar 2012
The 99 fight didn't follow the manga, that's why there were some different scenes. Comparing them both, the 99 version had better soundtracks (why won't the 2011 version give up on the hunter exam soundtrack already?), seemed a lot more darker (and what would be hxh without dark themes?) but at the same time it looked blurry and cheap because of the overuse of dark panels (the 2011 version was a lot clearer and livelier). Overall I prefer the 2011 version because it followed the manga (if the 99 followed the manga it wouldn't have looked that good), and because kurapika didn't go emo in the end.
2011 was dark too but more in a mature level.
ShadugeSep 17, 2012 4:24 AM
Sep 17, 2012 11:51 AM

Apr 2011
If 2011 had a better soundtrack... I would bump this up by a few points, in my book.

The fight was nice, it was longer extended, than unnecessary. Kura is cold in this series, compared to 1999, where he broke down a bit, after killing Uvo, but it shows how human, he is.

As always and forever, the 2011 animation looks cartoony :)
Sep 17, 2012 12:38 PM

Jan 2012
vansonbee said:
If 2011 had a better soundtrack... I would bump this up by a few points, in my book.

The fight was nice, it was longer extended, than unnecessary. Kura is cold in this series, compared to 1999, where he broke down a bit, after killing Uvo, but it shows how human, he is.

Yeah him not breaking down shows how much he cares about his tribe and his revenge. It speaks tons more than him going on his knees and grabbing his face. Kurapika made a vow to sacrifice his life to kill these guys. Makes no sense to feel remorse for them after making such a decision.

Plus he was very human during the torture scene. He was disgusted by it.
Sep 17, 2012 1:10 PM

Jun 2012
noonealive said:
vansonbee said:

Yeah him not breaking down shows how much he cares about his tribe and his revenge. It speaks tons more than him going on his knees and grabbing his face. Kurapika made a vow to sacrifice his life to kill these guys. Makes no sense to feel remorse for them after making such a decision.

I think people forget the part just before Kurapika puts Judgment Chain into Uvogin. He tells Uvogin how he hates the feeling of torturing Uvogin because it makes him sick, and then asks how all of the PT are able to do this for a living. I think Kurapika was very human there but it wouldn't make sense for him to show pity/mercy to people who MASSACRED HIS ENTIRE FAMILY/CLAN all for the "greatest commodities in the world" .

It made sense for Kurapika to ask Uvogin that question, I mean who could blame him. If you had the chance to meet one of the people who traumatized you when you weren't able to process everything, wouldn't you want to know what makes him tick?

I think Kurapika's true self is when he's with Gon, Killua, and Leorio but his goal in life conflicts with his inner nature.
Sep 17, 2012 1:17 PM
Nov 2010
Great episode. Everything looked pretty nice. More, please!
Sep 17, 2012 3:06 PM

Sep 2008
Candor said:
Mephz said:
It's because of the flash-back. in the 1999 version they animated Kurapika's training before Yorkshin, in this episode they did things just like in the manga, the flash-back's place is here.

leeo268 said:

No, it can easily air for another 2 years and a half without any fillers. Besides Togashi is working on the movie atm so he might come back in Mars/April next year after the movie is out.

even if I exclude the flashback I still feel the fight itself moves too slowly, they punch slowly, they move slowly etcetc
MephzSep 17, 2012 3:12 PM
Sep 17, 2012 4:55 PM

Jun 2012
A great episode, obviously, as over 90% of people (including me) voted it a 5/5. We finally get to see an epic battle, the first between Kurapika and a Phantom Troupe member, who was arrogant and of course, focused primarily on strength (no special abilities). I also liked the black and white at the end, really great addition to the end of the episode. Anyway, looking forward to the next battle, although it won't be next episode...

Sep 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Feb 2011
what. an. AWESOME. episode.

This is what I wait in the Remake version, and now it turns to be more awesome than I think.

Well, I am running out of words to comment for this episode.

Loved It! Definitely!
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Sep 17, 2012 7:00 PM

Jan 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
noonealive said:
vansonbee said:

I think people forget the part just before Kurapika puts Judgment Chain into Uvogin. He tells Uvogin how he hates the feeling of torturing Uvogin because it makes him sick, and then asks how all of the PT are able to do this for a living. I think Kurapika was very human there but it wouldn't make sense for him to show pity/mercy to people who MASSACRED HIS ENTIRE FAMILY/CLAN all for the "greatest commodities in the world" .

It made sense for Kurapika to ask Uvogin that question, I mean who could blame him. If you had the chance to meet one of the people who traumatized you when you weren't able to process everything, wouldn't you want to know what makes him tick?

I think Kurapika's true self is when he's with Gon, Killua, and Leorio but his goal in life conflicts with his inner nature.

Exactly. Even before the fight started Kurapika questioned Uvo.He wanted to measure Uvo's ruthlessness i guess you can say. The answers he gave Kurapika is what ultimately lead to his demise. =[]
Sep 17, 2012 7:01 PM

Jan 2012
Mephz said:
Candor said:
Mephz said:

leeo268 said:

even if I exclude the flashback I still feel the fight itself moves too slowly, they punch slowly, they move slowly etcetc

Did you like anything added besides the fight?
Sep 17, 2012 9:10 PM

Sep 2011
Wow that was pretty amazing, this remake is setting an example for how remakes should be done. R.I.P Uvogin one of my favorite villains in manga/anime, Ootsuka, Akio made this character even more epic.

5/5
Sep 17, 2012 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
One of the best anime fights ever (in 1999 or 2011 version). Period!

5/5
Sep 17, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2011
Everything in this episode was just freaking amazing. Kurapika owned Uvo and he did it with awesome abilities. Most memorable episode yet.
Sep 17, 2012 11:34 PM

Mar 2009

LOL @ that shifty glance. Chrollo had better watch the fuck out.

Strangely enough, that was my favorite part of the episode. Heh. Hisoka tends to steal every scene he's in, even when he isn't doing much.

Needless to say, fantastic episode. As always, the fight was more dynamic than the "original" fight. I also liked how Kurapika didn't break down as much here, but was obviously struggling with what he was doing. I've seen some people on other blogs call Kurapika a boring character or too humorless when it comes to the rest of the cast, but that's a crappy reason for not liking him. After all, he's had a tough life, and a large part of his personality is his drive for revenge. Kurapika's carefree and likable personality when he's, say, hanging out with Gon and company, or even talking with Melody, serves as a nice contrast to when he's otherwise wrestling with his own humanity. In fact, it's that last part that makes him so fascinating and, while I sincerely hope he stays the likable guy and retains his humanity, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing how far he goes in his revenge against the Spiders.
Sep 18, 2012 1:11 AM

Jul 2011
I liked this new version more, except the soundtrack.
Sep 18, 2012 7:28 AM

Oct 2010
Everything is better than the first anime especially graphics, I wonder how they can "decipher" the manga as the manga has horrible/lazy art.
"Boredom is like poison."

Sep 18, 2012 10:19 AM

Jan 2012
Lonewolf10 said:
Everything is better than the first anime especially graphics, I wonder how they can "decipher" the manga as the manga has horrible/lazy art.

It's easy. You look at the manga and draw the characters base of the manga. It's pretty simple. How is it lazy? He puts the right amount of panels to tell the story in each chapter. Also he doesn't have assistance. He does the storyboard and art all by himself.Yu Yu hakusho proves how good of an artist he is.

Watch Bakuman and tell me it's easy to do what he does especially by himself...Also the Volumes are a big plus when it comes to the manga. The translations and the art are topknotch.
Sep 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Aug 2012
Mormegil said:

LOL @ that shifty glance. Chrollo had better watch the fuck out.

Strangely enough, that was my favorite part of the episode. Heh. Hisoka tends to steal every scene he's in, even when he isn't doing much.

Needless to say, fantastic episode. As always, the fight was more dynamic than the "original" fight. I also liked how Kurapika didn't break down as much here, but was obviously struggling with what he was doing. I've seen some people on other blogs call Kurapika a boring character or too humorless when it comes to the rest of the cast, but that's a crappy reason for not liking him. After all, he's had a tough life, and a large part of his personality is his drive for revenge. Kurapika's carefree and likable personality when he's, say, hanging out with Gon and company, or even talking with Melody, serves as a nice contrast to when he's otherwise wrestling with his own humanity. In fact, it's that last part that makes him so fascinating and, while I sincerely hope he stays the likable guy and retains his humanity, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing how far he goes in his revenge against the Spiders.

I don't see how that's a "crappy" reason, what you wrote after "after all" just sorta describes why he is the way he is. Personally, if he didn't have Gon+Leorio+Senritsu+Killua, etc, I really do think I wouldn't have found him likable at all. Or as interesting. Seriously, as long as his revenge stays on the Spiders, I'll like him no matter how far he goes. If it strays elsewhere or hurts others (while otherwise staying the same as ever), I doubt I'd be able to stop myself from outright hating him. But the way he is now is good. -w-
Sep 18, 2012 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
Excellent episode. This and KNB 24 were a treat this week.
Sep 19, 2012 4:11 AM

Jun 2010
Trafl-guy said:
Excellent episode. This and KNB 24 were a treat this week.

You're right! :3

I really loved this episode, I could'n breathe while I was watching it (maybe because I watched it immediately after Hyouka, lol). Kurapika has always been my favourite character beacuse of his resolution. Unfortunately I don't remember anything of the previous series and I don't read the manga, I can't say if this was better or not D:
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

61 by BlazeoJoe »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.