Sep 14, 2012 5:40 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Flag

MAL Anime Information Page: Flag

MAL Score – 7.47 (by 1369 users)
Ranked - #1444
Popularity - #1882

Original Spotlight thread: Flag

For the next two weeks I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

*Due to voting rule changes, this series is available for nomination again.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL
02-20-14
- Yes: 8
- No: 7
- I haven't watched this anime: 67
~ Abstained: 1

This anime shall fly at half-mast until it gets spotlighted again - 53.3%

Rosa_FOEtidaMar 12, 2016 5:44 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 28, 2012 7:59 AM

Oct 2008
Orion1 said:
I've been nominating Flag for a while now, So I'll go ahead and start off this discussion. I'll also point you towards the Flag Reviews here on MAL since Beatnik and Santetjan have the top two and they are extremely detailed. After reading both of them I'll probably be reiterating a lot of what has already been said so I'll just highlight some of the analysis that's already been written.

First off for those of you who hate the Mecha genre, I think Flag should probably be one of the few exceptions. Yes it has Mecha but the series plays in the near future where Mecha are in the developmental stages. It also focus's more on the political ramifications of this new technology, and how it could affect military actions/strategy in the future of human warfare. While we have had some discussion about how unlikely Mecha are to be developed as viable weapons of the future since they are obviously too big of targets for modern hand held missiles. Plus the developmental costs seem like an outlandish venture for any nation today. However I think this show at least addresses this issue and offers some counter arguments for their creation. I thought reasonable believability was established for their tactical military usefulness in this particular series.

So you still don't like the idea of Mecha? I still think this show has more to offer. To say this series is Stylistically unique in it's story telling is an understatement. Flag is told entirely through the lens of a camera. The idea itself might seem like it could fall victim to its own pretension, but it doesn't. It seamlessly incorporates the narrative without deviation and it stays true to it's approach till the conclusion. I don't remember getting board and hoping the style would change. For this reason alone it deserves some recognition as a how to approach stylistic series. Basically the gimmick is woven very effectively and continues to offer the viewer a stimulating visual experience with exceptional 3d animation and life like character designs. Since the story plays out through the eye of a camera it takes on the feel of a documentary. The story itself makes use of modern political structures and very plausible socioeconomic conflicts in central Asia. The characters are not only believable, but they also become as important to the drama unfolding as the other political and military plot elements. Flag disseminated the human consequences of war in a unique way and for that it earned some points.

Santetjan brought up how the style made the series more "intense" to watch the action from the first person view of a camera and I couldn't agree more. He also points out that while the viewer is able to feel like they are viewing a realistic portrayal of the events unfolding, the viewers role as a spectator is always present. This spectator role allows the viewer impartiality and the ability to look at the political and socioeconomic events as an outsider. This is a quality that I can't say I've seen done as effectively in any other anime that I've seen.

The music is good, but certainly very repetitive. It sets the appropriate mood for a war drama but it never changes much like in the movie Platoon. This can be seen as both good and bad. I liked how each episode used still frame shots to create mood and continued the stylistic approach. For me this series is just too original not to be on our list. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, especially regarding the character development in this story, but as I remember the people we get to know through the camera do feel as developed as you'd expect from a CNN special report. I think this series is definitely a genre buster and deserves to be in our relations list.
Feb 8, 2014 7:55 PM

Jan 2009
Orion1 said:
nadenade..

Absolutely.
Indeed, I feel like the way the show is presented is not as a mecha, or even as a drama anime, but one of a war docudrama. More similar to something like The Hurt Locker (as dumb and BS as that movie was).

Some parts came across as cliche, such as the episode with the doctor in the yurt community, but overall it was quite touching, and excellently produced. The camera view and first person view was something you expected to be a trick, discarded quickly, but was kept throughout; becoming a valuable experience of immersement and in my view stimulating curiosity.

"Flag disseminated the human consequences of war in a unique way" is the central point for us.

I actually disagree with this "intense" point, I think its a subtle point of the reverse. The action is at distances, in scopes often, or if its close up such as some of the mecha scenes, it's not like its intrapersonal combat, it's the tank seeing representations of humans on a sensor which it procedes to eliminate. This impersonality , and the idea of combat being something on a display, some represented like in a photo, is somewhat chilling. It really reminds us of actual conflict, our vicarious experience of Vietnam and Iraq. So the spectator point is more pertinent. Rather than "intense", I think more impersonal yet authentic in its usage.

The weakest point of the series in my view is the OP/ED. Certainly the series doesn't seem to have had the biggest budget, but its content is not something limited to its budget.
A yes from me.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.