How would you rate this manga?
Sep 14, 2012 5:26 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Abandon the Old in Tokyo

MAL Manga Information Page: Abandon the Old in Tokyo

MAL Score - 7.62 (by 319 users)
Ranked - #2839
Popularity - #3796

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Abandon the Old in Tokyo was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
4 Yes - 33.3%
8 No - 66.6%

53 Don't know this manga - 67.9% of the total number polled
3 Abstained - 4.4% of the total number polled
LindleNov 17, 2018 1:19 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 22, 2012 3:56 AM

Feb 2010
This manga consist of several short stories. It attempts to portray an unusual and perhaps controversial side of ordinary citizen using visual primary.

Despite having a keen interest on the psychological being of flawed individuals, the stories here just felt so detached for a reader like me. They might be revolutionary when it was first published but the impact dwindle considerably in today's age. It's not exactly unconventional, even if it is, it doesn't connect. It feels too arbitrary and vague. I guess I am not a fan of gekiga style, so I would just abstained.
live2winSep 22, 2012 4:01 AM
Sep 26, 2012 4:19 AM

Jan 2009
The first notable thing regarding Abandon the Old in Tokyo is its context. Penned during the decade of the 60's and published in 1970, this manga is largely a reaction to the Showa reinvigoration of Japan, and the somewhat insidious debilitations this growth caused.

It's also 'gekiga', as live2win states. This was a movement away from the simplistic and moralistic stories abound in the mainstream magazines, which were aimed primarily at children/teens. Such works as Adolf, Nejishiki, Samurai Executioner and Kamui typify these traits as well.

Tatsumi was one of a very few who first trod these waters. In fact, he was the one who coined the term in 57'. He started his work in 54' after being unable to continue his schooling as his parents were poor, though sadly most of what he has done has never seen the light of day for Western readers.

Gekiga translates to 'dramatic pictures'. It's a style that was more influential in its panelling, it's lack of dialogue [at points], and it's exploitation of cinematic-ally stylised pictures, than the actual content. Tatsumi, along with Masuhiko Matsumoko and Yoshiharu Tsuge, revolutionised the manga industry, and the way a mangaka developed their manga technically. This impact has long not been recognised by most conventional fans of manga however- stemming mainly from unfamiliarity with context, and not having read much early manga [especially as it's not available in English mostly].

As for the content, I don't think I can agree with live2win's "the impact dwindle considerably". Abandon the Old in Tokyo contain elegy-like narratives on those less fortunate in Tokyo (it's actually important noting Tokyo- Tatsumi came from Osaka, so this is his view as an outsider). The poetic sadness and grief, humiliation and degradation of the individuals power in respect to the collected masses makes Abandon the Old in Tokyo gripping. The actual artwork was completely new and is quite effective; no perfected forms but simple men and woman. This manga is really to be devoured slowly; the lack of dialogue thus makes us take in the portents of the visuals which have bounteous depths of communication.

The one objection I have to Abandon the Old in Tokyo is the misogynistic vein that runs through it; though of course this is a result of its context.

But I definitely think it's worth inducting. I mean it's an absolute classic, and a monumentally important work in manga historically.
Sep 29, 2012 12:16 AM

Feb 2009
I have not read this manga...

(... so I won't read opinions about it. But I'm familiar with 2 stories from this manga, because those were in the 'Tatsumi' animated movie too. There I "fell love with the mangaka", so I plan to read some of his work. In the movie the stories were FANTASTIC/mature/dark/real, the characters are great too, but the enjoyment... in this case it could be more subjective thing than usual. I loved it, but it won't fit to everyone's taste. The art was somewhere around simply/ugly/interesting - I like the things that are different from the big ocean of mainstream... as far as I can tell it seemed loyal to the manga)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.