Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 28, 2021 11:49 PM

Jan 2021
I'm going into this series completely blind. I've heard the English title -- His and Her Circumstances -- pop up over the years, but know nothing of it except that it probably involves a man (boy?) and a woman (girl?) and is therefore some form of romance (perhaps romcom?). It seems to have carried some weight as a "classic" so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's about. Anyway, here we go…
* Neat, it's a Gainax series. Didn't know that. Should be good?
* Girl-MC looks like anime Saoirse Ronan from Lady Bird
* Oh shit lol, I love how conceited she is. Reminds me of Teruhashi-san -- OFFU! -- from Saiki Kusuo. For some reason, I really enjoy when protagonists of either gender freely acknowledge (if only to themselves) their own narcissism. I guess I find it…kinda relatable?
* "Of course! Words of praise are my life-energy!"
* Miyazawa seems a very Emma-esque protagonist to me; I feel like I shouldn't like her, but all I want to do is root for her.
* "Watashi no IMAGE!!! "
* Wait what noooo come back, my lovely self-centered Miyazawaaaaa. What is this staggering revelation-of-self doing happening halfway through the first episode?
* WAIT WHAT was that split second confession?!??
* j/k my narcissistic heroine is back phew.
Ok, so I'm having fun with this already. I'm assuming Miyazawa's character becomes less conceited as time goes on, but for now I'm enjoying the kinda "Benign Asshole" quality she brings to the screen. There's something appealing to me about a character who owns their own shortcomings and acknowledges the strengths of others but who still isn't humble or groveling for all that. In continuing with the Emma/Jane Austen vibes I was picking up above, I can definitely see this becoming a comedy of errors. Can't wait to watch how it plays out.
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 3:43 PM
Jun 23, 2022 12:06 AM

Feb 2021
I liked it but it was a little fast paced, I'm still blown away by how much was covered in that single first episode. The way Miyazawa views Arima shares a few similarities to how Asuka sees Rei, it's interesting so far. I'm really hoping Anno doesn't screw this up later on
Aug 21, 2022 9:43 PM

Mar 2013
After rejecting him, she got what she deserves. This is a great episode to start with. (I forgot this series even exist)

The irony lmao

I'm glad Muse Asia still has this in their channel! Sweet!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 2, 2022 11:42 AM
Aug 2020
eeeeeeeeeeeeuihubhyib ihb uin
Jan 8, 2023 1:35 AM
Mar 2019
that was actually so cool
Apr 8, 2023 7:20 PM
Oct 2021
Probably the only first episode of a romcom to make me laugh, yet. It was amazing.
Apr 10, 2023 9:16 AM

Jun 2021
After 21 years since its debut on italian television, it was finally time to give it a chance. i was aware back then (when i had the same age of the main characters) that it was aired on Mtv Anime Night but i was tuning in mostly for Ranma 1/2 only, and clearly wasn't into the ideal mindset for a full rom-com especially during 2002... now that i'm as old as her father and appreciate to a undescrivable amount the amazing italian dub cast (especially for this show) even more than before, i can. Too bad Amazon Prime Video deleted the previews as here they were introduced by the italian voice actresses of the two little sisters (both very talented wonderful women, and finally met one of them in person in 2016).

Oooook...

I'm slightly annoyed with the female lead's obsession with popularity, but it does make her very relatable and leaves her open for character development

Yes. As a teen i would have just found her just straight-up annoying, but once again, a introduction like this seems to work fine for a pilot episode, and the rest of her family can turn out to be very entertaining. Direction, artstyle and non-stop dialogues are a very good combination, knowing the involvement of a big name affiliated with NGE was another reason to watch this. It's too soon to see if Soichiro Arima will always be the nice guy introduced for now, but to date, he seems likable. Already somehow (lightheartedly) jealous of him... if a pretty lady could karate kick me in the chest with no intention to harm i would be sooooooo happy.
_untitledApr 10, 2023 9:39 AM
Apr 11, 2023 12:29 AM
Jul 2021
que buen primer capitulo en verdad hacia tiempo había dejado de ver anime y ayer revisando que cosas que hizo imashi me dio curiosidad, siento que tiene ciertas similitudes con monogatari series y bueno por supuesto que con evangelion también, la verdad me encanto este capitulo espero que esto sea una grata vuelta a consumir anime de calidad

Jun 24, 2023 6:56 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Yukino is top tier. I love her to pieces. She's one of the few shoujo protags that feels genuinely complex and even a tad flawed but I find that miles relatable (I do love cuties who are pure hearted Yamato on my list).

The dub in my opinion is the best way too watch this. I have nothing against the OG voices but I think they're way too soft and subtle. Veronica Taylor alone carries the series with filling Yukino with all the emotional range that fits the animation to a T.

It's also one of the few animes I can think of that use stuff like the text editing to be funny as all hell "Commoner Food". It feels very manga based but I checked the manga and none of that is in there (neither is the comedic affect either).

Fantastic first episode. One of the few episodes I can say that knocks it out of the park especially with that ending.
Jun 24, 2023 7:57 PM
Feb 2021
What a banger first episode. There was so much character built up in just one episode, and I can't wait for when we'll inevitably see the dude's reaction.

Eva 2 is looking really good
Oct 11, 2023 11:27 AM

Sep 2020
It's very similar to Maid Sama which is one of my favourite anime. I think I will like this anime too.
Nov 26, 2023 2:09 AM

Jun 2017
what a phenomenal first episode. It’s been a while since I’ve been so readily engrossed by the first episode of a romcom

I’m sure this 7.5 show won’t disappoint in any of its later episodes at alll
Jan 16, 8:51 AM
Nov 2019
Wow after 24 years I’ve found the anime I was looking for that I remember as a kid in the 90s hahah . I watched this in subtitles back in 1999 . And all I can remember that the girl had red hair…

Which wasn’t much to follow on…

But wow I just found it haha
Jan 16, 8:53 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to ZXEAN
It's very similar to Maid Sama which is one of my favourite anime. I think I will like this anime too.
@ZXEAN

But this came out ten years or more earlier than maid sama…
Jan 16, 9:31 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Hashiriya_weeb87
@ZXEAN

But this came out ten years or more earlier than maid sama…
@Hashiriya_weeb87 So what ? Still it's kinda similar to Maid Sama but unfortunately I am not enjoying this series still stuck at episode 4.
Jan 19, 9:47 AM
Nov 2019
This is a true romance!

It’s very psychological I wonder if hideki anno had any thing todo with the story of the anime it has that psychological effect that Neon Genesis had

A very good anime! Not really a rom com

But true romance

About meeting
Changing
Accepting change
And falling in love

I don’t care what others have to say on the animation quality lol it’s 25 years old… 90s anime with drawings and real life end credits lol

But animation is just one part

The story of this anime is very in depth with the characters their relationships and history!

If I had watched this as a teen lol I wouldn’t have liked it

But watching this an adult in my 30s

I appreciate it alot
Jan 19, 9:49 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to ZXEAN
@Hashiriya_weeb87 So what ? Still it's kinda similar to Maid Sama but unfortunately I am not enjoying this series still stuck at episode 4.
@ZXEAN

It’s not maid sama was more comedic…..

This is more adult like… and can be serious and more in-depth of the characters and their backstories and the romance and the way they get to know each other

From wearing fake masks in the beginning…

It’s more psychological complex

Than maid sama…..
Jan 19, 9:58 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to ZXEAN
@ZXEAN

If you watched beyond episode 4 youd know It’s nothing like maid sama…

It starts off like a rom com

But it becomes more serious as the episodes progress
Jan 19, 10:02 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to ZXEAN
@ZXEAN

Even on episode 17 it’s hinted that they essentially have sex at his place… not hentai… but just Quick scenes…

In maid sama as I recalled they don’t even go out until the end….

So very different animes…
Apr 3, 11:18 AM
Dec 2017
the pasing is dangerously quick yet so good
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

52 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 19, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.