MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Updates on Autumn noitaminA Anime 'Psycho-Pass'
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Updates on Autumn noitaminA Anime 'Psycho-Pass'

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
09-13-12, 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2233
Downgrade355 said:


Nope, not true. most of Kurobas's readers are boys aged 12-15, and that actually applies to nearly every Shounen Jump manga/anime. There was also a poll on Sankaku showing that One piece and other leading Shounen are also popular with men in their twenties and thirties. a big percentage of manga readers are actually not really Otaku, if you're familiar with japanese culture, you'll know that many ramen/okonomiyaki shops have tons of manga stocked there for the costumers to read.

Just stating the facts though, alot of people seem to be under these misconceptions, mainly foreigners.


really? cuz from the fairs in animate and such and what my friends say the people who supported the anime were only fujoshi....and they are the ones buying the merchandise....same with prince of tennis. and with reborn.

and I know for a fact, this was posted officially in weeklyjump, they had a poll to see for the latest manga volumes of JUMP to see which gender read it the most. and kurobas, reborn, haikyuu, especially kurobas and haikyuu, the poll reported that more than two thirds of the readers were female. XD

its in the journal somewhere...I can't find it. >_< but its there. I'll ask someone to bring it up.

edit: and yes, what jmal said. I was mainly referring to the BDs and DVDs.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
09-13-12, 6:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
jmal said:

Pretty sure she was referring to the anime, who can and often does have a rather different paying audience than the manga. ~¥600 manga and ~¥7000 dvd/bds cater to different types of consumers.

After all, those character song solos and duets that have been released since the anime started and are selling like crazy aren't being bought by guys, I can assure you. Shows with an overwhelmingly male fanbase don't get strong charasong sales for male characters - in fact the males almost never get charasongs at all.


Yeah, you have a solid point and i never said otherwise, and i already knew that the Songs are bought mostly by the female fanbase, though we can't deny the possibilities. But yeah, i agree with pretty much everything you said.


phoenixalia said:


really? cuz from the fairs in animate and such and what my friends say the people who supported the anime were only fujoshi....and they are the ones buying the merchandise....same with prince of tennis. and with reborn.

and I know for a fact, this was posted officially in weeklyjump, they had a poll to see for the latest manga volumes of JUMP to see which gender read it the most. and kurobas, reborn, haikyuu, especially kurobas and haikyuu, the poll reported that more than two thirds of the readers were female. XD

its in the journal somewhere...I can't find it. >_< but its there. I'll ask someone to bring it up.

edit: and yes, what jmal said. I was mainly referring to the BDs and DVDs.


Then your friends are clearly misinformed, because realistically speaking, there is no way to know just how many of each demographic buys a certain manga.

Trust me, i guarantee you that nearly every Shounen has predominantly male readers, specifically little boys, and i wouldn't be lying or exaggerating if i said that most of those boys aren't by definition "otaku".

I don't recall any poll like that, though it might be true. but then again, not everyone participates in polls, infact the vast majority doesn't. for example take SNK, while the KoF series and their other products sold tons, only a few hundreds voted in polls, you know what i'm trying to say? not everyone votes in polls, many readers just get the tankobon, read it, then toss it or pass it to someone or discard it lol.

and Yeah, what jmal says is true and i'm with him on that. if you were refering to the BD's and DVDs then you should have said so from the beginning lol, since i'm most certain that 70%+ buyers are female, the BD's even come with those character cards and stuff, i don't think the guys would be interested in those but there is no denying that they do buy BD's and DVDs.

so that's that, manga and discs are hugely different in terms of sales and who they cater to, as jmal has pointed.

EDIT: Well i'm off to sleep guys, take care you two, TTYL.
Modified by Downgrade355, 09-13-12, 6:45 AM
 
09-13-12, 6:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
Downgrade355 said:
realistically speaking, there is no way to know just how many of each demographic buys a certain manga.

Well, the publishers probably have a decent idea, at least. That's what market research is for. If there weren't a large number (I won't debate percentages as I don't know) of female readers of KuroBas, the anime production committee would never have made a conscious effort to court female buyers.

While I said that audiences for the two media are different, I don't mean to imply that you can, say, convert To Love-ru Darkness into a fujoshi-favorite any more than you can convert Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi into a male otaku-favorite. But if a particularly fervent (and possessing of disposable income) portion of your fanbase is outside the traditional demographic, by all means, market to it.

It's also worth noting that I've seen a few polls where the #1 favorite manga magazine of female manga readers is, yes, Shounen Jump. Not a shoujo magazine. Here's a somewhat older (2007) survey, as I can't locate the more recent poll I remember seeing.

I don't think anyone would say that Shounen Jump's audience isn't primarily male, but popular "shounen" titles have long, long since expanded way beyond the preteen male demographic, some series more than others. At least for the less fanservicey ones.
Modified by jmal, 09-13-12, 7:03 AM
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
09-13-12, 7:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
jmal said:

Well, the publishers probably have a decent idea, at least. That's what market research is for. If there weren't a large number (I won't debate percentages as I don't know) of female readers of KuroBas, the anime production committee would never have made a conscious effort to court female buyers.

While I said that audiences for the two media are different, I don't mean to imply that you can, say, convert To Love-ru Darkness into a fujoshi-favorite any more than you can convert Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi into a male otaku-favorite. But if a particularly fervent (and possessing of disposable income) portion of your fanbase is outside the traditional demographic, by all means, market to it.

It's also worth noting that I've seen a few polls where the #1 favorite manga magazine of female manga readers is, yes, Shounen Jump. Not a shoujo magazine. Here's a somewhat older (2007) survey, as I can't locate the more recent poll I remember seeing.

I don't think anyone would say that Shounen Jump's audience isn't primarily male, but popular "shounen" titles have long, long since expanded way beyond the preteen male demographic, some series more than others.


Yeah, i hear you. many Shounen do have a large number of female readers, of all demographics, and by all demographics i mean, All ages, with different interests, etc, not just Fujoshi.
And no, that's a given, you can't Turn To Love-ru Darkness into a fujoshi favourite and you can't turn a Shoujo, Josei, BL, you name it, into a male otaku favourite. in most cases, the target demographic are the main consumers.

Like i said, not everyone participates in Surveys, and you can't really compare 3 thousand female readers from a poll which god knows if it is by any means valid, to a million something of other demographics and non-otaku people who read shounen, which is why i said you can't rely on polls, i might sound like a hypocrite for saying that, but yes, you can't rely on polls, and that includes the poll i mentioned earlier.

and Yup, at this point it's a well known fact that the Shounen genre, or quite frankly, most genres expanded beyond their actual target demographic, guys read/watch shoujo/josei, girls read/watch shounen/seinen, that's been obvious decades ago lol, but there is no denying that it remains more popular with its main target demographic, or should i say, viewed/read by its main target demographic. Though people (mainly foreigners), judge a product by its shallow content, like "hey look, those guys in that seinen manga are hot, must be for girls" or "hey look, those girls in that shoujo anime look like cute lolis, must be for male otaku", No lol, it doesn't work that way.


Ok i'm seriously going to sleep right now, i feel like i'm gonna faint any minute lol. peace man.
Modified by Downgrade355, 09-13-12, 7:16 AM
 
09-13-12, 7:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
Downgrade355 said:
Like i said, not everyone participates in Surveys, and you can't really compare 3 thousand female readers from a poll which god knows if it is by any means valid

Polling isn't just a shot in the dark - there are scientific methodologies of statistical analysis available and all that. 3,000 female manga readers is probably a solid statistical sample with a reasonable margin of error and statistical power. The idea that polls are invalid because they don't ask "everyone" is a fallacy. And literally Oricon's entire business is market research, so they're not just going to wing it and produce junk.

I think people tend to be hasty in their skepticism of all polls because when they hear the word "poll" or "survey" they think of informal, unscientific internet polls which, sure, are often not very reliable and are easily gamed if not properly secured. Properly randomized scientific polling of the sort you'd expect a professional organization like Oricon to undertake, however, is different. It's by no means perfect, but there's a well established science to analyzing the data.

So yes, I think it's reasonable to believe in this case that Shounen Jump is the favorite manga magazine of female readers, at least at the time (though I doubt that's changed). I'm not claiming that means the KuroBas manga audience isn't majority male though. It likely still is. And it's certainly not saying Shounen Jump's audience isn't majority male.
Modified by jmal, 09-13-12, 7:47 AM
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
09-13-12, 7:56 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1056
looks sooooooo interesting!! X)
 
09-13-12, 8:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 270
Downgrade355 said:

Damonashu said:
Urobuchi Gen, eh? I like the idea of the story but was wondering how it was going to be done. If it's Urobuchi Gen, perhaps there's naught to worry about.

Admittedly, The Akira Amano-like character design is countering my belief in Urobuchi Gen.



Exactly my thoughts, how could the awesome Urobuchi gen who wrote the Scenario for one of the best eroge of all time, Saya no Uta do this?

If this is sarcasm I detect here, then I reply with two things.
The first: I have never played this eroge and most likely never will, so I shall reserve all judgements.

The second: Even if it turns out that this eroge is bad, then I stand by my post by saying "Even so, he still has a better track record than Amano." Frankly though, since she's only the original character designer there's no real reason to suspect this will be a flop.
Bored and looking for something to read? Drop by The Ward where you come to get your boredom cured.
 
09-13-12, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3384
Two days ago I added Motohiro Katsuyuki to the database and apparently it wasn't accepted.
 
09-13-12, 2:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
Damonashu said:

If this is sarcasm I detect here, then I reply with two things.
The first: I have never played this eroge and most likely never will, so I shall reserve all judgements.

The second: Even if it turns out that this eroge is bad, then I stand by my post by saying "Even so, he still has a better track record than Amano." Frankly though, since she's only the original character designer there's no real reason to suspect this will be a flop.


hold on a minute, i think i might aswell let you know that i'm not a person who uses sarcasm often, and no, that was by no means sarcasm, sorry if it seemed that way.


@jmal
i hear you man.
Shounen is "readable" by everyone, that's common knowledge lol. it's just that the main consumers are in most cases young boys.
Modified by Downgrade355, 09-13-12, 2:53 PM
 
09-13-12, 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 631
Not many people here totally know Urobuchi outside of Fate/Zero, Madoka and Saya no Uta, I guess.

While I'm not a really big fan of Gen Urobuchi, I could safely say that Gen Urobuchi should be capable of writing gay undertones/character. Not that I'm really objecting that, but I just want to write this since some people here seem to think that "There's no way Gen Urobuchi write a gay story". But don't worry, they won't be the main dish.

And for my own first impression, actually I rarely like Gen's male character. Even if there's any, most possibly there's an influence from other party (Like Fate/Zero's case). But actually the same thing happened to most of Gen's female character, with some exceptions.

Now that I think about it, character creation usually is the weakest skill of Gen. This show probably won't be an exception, but I guess I'll still try. He's awesome in execution, afterall.
 
09-13-12, 8:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 344
I just watched the new updated trailer they had. I feel a Death Note kind of vibe from it, the art I guess?

I hope this series is really good just seeing how intense the trailer is. xP
 
09-13-12, 11:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1180
Downgrade355 said:
[

Nah, Seinen? i doubt it (With the exception of the infamous Hetalia), Shounen? Yup, mainly ones made by female mangaka, and even then, i'm almost certain when they draw the manga they have the Shounen demographic in mind, it's just the artstyle that confuses your brains lol.

kind of Like a Hentai artist who likes and is used to drawing big bust, if he were to draw a Shoujo, i'd bet my collection of a hundred something PS3 games that the female cast would have a big bust. xD

Still gonna check it out tho, got used to this since those times i was watching Kuroshitsuji, i was confused through the whole anime. you might call me weird, but i "kind of" enjoyed it, mainly the fight scenes...don't go calling me names now pls.



It is possible. Take for example Brave 10; It was listed as a 'Seinen', but everything was shoujo about it. And there are plenty of manga that are Seinen, yet they feel like shoujo, just because of the magazine where they are published.

Let me list you some:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11729/Death_Edge
http://myanimelist.net/manga/35119/Albox_-_Eien_o_Kaetara
http://myanimelist.net/manga/24764/raven;od
 
09-14-12, 12:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
deathxempress said:


It is possible. Take for example Brave 10; It was listed as a 'Seinen', but everything was shoujo about it. And there are plenty of manga that are Seinen, yet they feel like shoujo, just because of the magazine where they are published.

Let me list you some:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11729/Death_Edge
http://myanimelist.net/manga/35119/Albox_-_Eien_o_Kaetara
http://myanimelist.net/manga/24764/raven;od


I'll have you know that Brave10's mangaka draws mainly Yaoi.
Most of the time Shounen/Seinen drawn by female mangaka will have a Shoujo feel and Bishounens.

And not so surprisingly, all the mangas you listed are drawn by female mangaka. see my point?
 
09-14-12, 12:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 289
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
 
09-14-12, 1:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
Jarmel said:
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.


That means 11 episodes in fall and the other 11 in autumn?
 
09-14-12, 3:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5672
Downgrade355 said:
Jarmel said:
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.


That means 11 episodes in fall and the other 11 in autumn?
fall means autumn doesn't it? that means 24+ episodes, 12+ in fall and 12+ in winter.
<-- Derailer
 
09-14-12, 4:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2233
two cour show...thank goodness. now I have uta pri 2 and this to watch in spring.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
09-14-12, 5:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1231
Candor said:
Downgrade355 said:
Jarmel said:
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.


That means 11 episodes in fall and the other 11 in autumn?
fall means autumn doesn't it? that means 24+ episodes, 12+ in fall and 12+ in winter.


Right, got things mixed up there, my bad lol.

The show's 22 episodes though, so it's 11 fall 11 winter ;p
gonna watch.
 
09-14-12, 6:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5672
Downgrade355 said:
Candor said:
Downgrade355 said:
Jarmel said:
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.


That means 11 episodes in fall and the other 11 in autumn?
fall means autumn doesn't it? that means 24+ episodes, 12+ in fall and 12+ in winter.


Right, got things mixed up there, my bad lol.

The show's 22 episodes though, so it's 11 fall 11 winter ;p
gonna watch.
Normally it's 24+ but in some cases it can be less, but has it been confirmed yet? the 22-episode part?
<-- Derailer
 
09-14-12, 7:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2057
Candor said:
Downgrade355 said:
Candor said:
Downgrade355 said:
Jarmel said:
Psycho-Pass is confirmed for two-cours.


That means 11 episodes in fall and the other 11 in autumn?
fall means autumn doesn't it? that means 24+ episodes, 12+ in fall and 12+ in winter.


Right, got things mixed up there, my bad lol.

The show's 22 episodes though, so it's 11 fall 11 winter ;p
gonna watch.
Normally it's 24+ but in some cases it can be less, but has it been confirmed yet? the 22-episode part?


Well I haven't seen any confirmation of 2 cour myself, but if it is, it'll be 22 since this it Noitamina. They only do 11 episode blocks.

 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices