Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 8, 2015 2:54 AM
Jan 2012
This episode was something else. It was boring and funny at the same time. The kiss finally happened and it was adorable.
Mar 22, 2015 1:01 AM

May 2013
Togame is truly best girl.
Fuck it. Every signature I upload ends up removed anyways.
May 28, 2015 6:39 AM

Oct 2013
Jealous Togame was funny to watch.
Jun 9, 2015 6:07 AM

Jan 2013
Aww they had their first kiss :)
Togame and Shichika really are one of the best couples in anime I've seen so far.

Seems Oshidori really did care for ChouChou :/
Loved the showgirl pun at the end.

Also it would seem Togame after all that speculation REALLY isnt wearing any underwear:

Jul 6, 2015 9:19 PM

Jul 2014
that kissu~
ED gave me chills. Amazing.
Overall hilarious episode, Togame's jealousy was too cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2015 5:25 AM

Apr 2015
Kinda weak episode, loved the irony.
Also, everyone is incredibly underestimating Houou.
Jul 12, 2015 11:08 PM

Dec 2013
Ok episode. Togame was even more annoying than usual and the fights were pretty anti climatic. A gun? Really?
Aug 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Jun 2015
Togame Tsundere mode : On <3
Oct 4, 2015 11:58 PM

Nov 2011
Lethal toy guns...
Dec 21, 2015 10:18 PM

Jul 2014
What's with all the contrived misunderstandings? What is this, a harem anime?

Also, I think that Togame looks better with short hair.

5/5
May 8, 2016 1:18 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Kiss?...Kiss?...Kiss?... ¿How? What? Where? Don´t loose this episode...

--
¿Beso?...¿Beso?...¿Beso?... ¿Cómo?¿Qué?¿Dónde? No te pierdas este episodio...
May 10, 2016 12:23 PM

Jul 2015
Wow a kiss finally, it was great, i love Kagome, she's so cool !
May 18, 2016 2:43 PM

Jul 2013
Was a really funny episode. Togame's jealousy and misunderstanding of the situations with Sichika and Kiguchi was really cute and amusing to see. That kiss was cute too. Stranged why MAL don't have this with the tag "Romance", because the relationship between both is really good.
I also liked Kiguchi, especially for her eyes (I really love the eyes of the characters of the series) and personality. So glad she was spared in this merciless series. Her defeat was cheating for Togame's part, but that "men" of Shichika really made the scene xD

And speaking about merciless, that's the word that descript perfectly the situation of the Maniwa clan in this moment. With Oshidori dead (poor woman, she really loved the butterfly ninja T_T) oly the Penguin and Houhou remain. Houhou also seemed possesed by the Deviant Blade he found.

Emonzaemon also reveals that his Deviant Blade are the gun from the previous episode. With the doll of the previous episode and this, things are getting really bizarre here.
Jun 10, 2016 12:15 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's not tagged as romance because although the two main characters' relationship develops throughout, romance is not a big focus, if at all. You almost have to squint to see any romance for more than half of the series. Imo, at least. There are few intimate scenes (them being physically close together), but not much actual romance going on.

Anyways, this was truly a meh episode. The overdone misunderstanding scenes could possibly be making fun of misunderstandings in your usual romance series, but even it this was so, it was still very...idiotic. I didn't find that funny at all. It also seemed to me, a cheap way to get Togame to begin showing affection for Shichika, or being possessive of him. Don't even want to talk about the "fight" at the end. I get that maybe we're supposed to be surprised all the time with how these fights go down, like when Shichika threw that dude with the armor, or not even seeing the fight the strongest swordsman in Japan, but wow, talk about anti-climatic.

But anyways, so I was half right about Houou. He did acquire the other Maniwani's power of psychometry, but it wasn't because he somehow magically took the power from the body. He acquired it through transplanting a body part.
Jul 6, 2016 8:51 AM

Jan 2016
I feel so bad for those animal ninjas. They just can't get a break. I know they're supposed to be the bad ones, the traitors, killers and so on but they were like a big happy family and they're being slaughtered one by one, and without even accomplish anything. Not even injuring his enemies ):

I'm loving how Togame and Shichika's friendship have developed so far, several times actually being a couple. Although i don't really mind if they're romantically attracted or just friends, i like them as they are now.

Also Kiguchi is such a great and nice person. She's kind and honest, i really hope she gets some students and succeed in passing her legacy for future generations. She also seems very lonely, like she was talking about not having a chance to live a life with someone she can find love with. I want her to be happy :')

AND WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT AHAHAHAHA I CRIED HERE

Aug 13, 2016 6:13 PM

Aug 2014
This episode made me love Togame even more, now she is on par with Holo, double waifuforlaifu.

Very funny episode, and the ninja battle was great.

Great Episode.
Sep 6, 2016 3:23 PM

Mar 2015
Watching Shichika learn to use a sword as a swordsman was funny. And Togame's jealousy was too cute
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 24, 2016 1:44 AM

Jan 2010

I believe this anime is trolling. I mean, it probably has so far, but I don't think I've noticed it outside of episode 4. Now that I think about it, most of these fights end in anticlimaxes, though it's interesting to see an anime where nearly all the fights end in a single move. Just an observation, but it's an interesting aspect to a show that relies so much on build up.

This episode had two main points really, Shichika having thoughts over the future of the Kyotouryuu style, and Togame finally stepping forward and claiming Shichika as hers. I mean, they've been playing at it for the entire series, but it was never this forward. At the same time, while it might just be my memory fading, but Togame feels a lot more childish in this episode, for the lack of a better term. She's possessive, jealous, and quick to complain, though she's been like this for the whole series. Perhaps it was just this episode that exaggerated those traits? It's just interesting to note due to her hair being cut and Togame denying her own childishness, despite Shichika never bringing it up. That being said, she's relentless as ever in terms of her schemes, and I do feel bad for the most honest and straightforward of the Deviant Blade owners to lose through a scheme. I would have liked to see Shichika finally fight someone who doesn't cheat or has strange gimmicks. Though, perhaps that very honest and straight forward demeanor is strange in and of itself, as Togame pointed out.

Anyways, as the month of September comes and goes, autumn is seriously setting in. The days are feeling shorter and the passage of time feels slower. The air is much colder than it was just a little while ago as well, and I'm seriously considering wearing thicker clothes at this rate. Watching Katagatari as the seasons change really sets the mood for the show. The year has finally entered its last quarter, and with three episodes left, the supposed amazing climax is coming. In the meanwhile, hopefully my expectations will cool off, lest I fall victim to overhyping. Or maybe it'll seriously be something that justifies the renown it garnered, no idea.
Feb 15, 2017 9:53 AM

May 2015
Aww they had their first kiss :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 24, 2017 12:19 PM

Jun 2013
I usually don't like misunderstandings, but this episode was a lot of fun. Togame takes charge with a hot kiss! Her scheme was crucial to the successful acquisition of the sword once more. Looks like the trend that started at the half-way point continues.

I liked that Kiguchi appeared perfectly well established and almost annoyingly upright, but she had regrets and dreams just like a normal person. Her conversation with Shichika was really neat, and I was glad he brought up Meisai. I suppose her memory still haunts him.

Oshidori put up a good fight. The Maniwani are dropping like flies, but I like that they're still humanized, kind of. I still laughed though when Eamon straight up shot her, channeling his inner Indiana Jones.
LeeTailorJul 24, 2017 12:25 PM
Aug 15, 2017 8:57 AM

Sep 2015
HOLY CRAP. Togame was way too cute in this episode. I was a little touched even though it's kind of played for laughs. When she has the first misunderstanding and says "No! It's none of my business." At this point Shichika's happiness is more important to her than her own. At least a little bit in theory. She's changed so much from the beginning. But while I found the misunderstandings and jealousy this episode to be kind of cute. By the end it just got brutal. Like god damn Shichika, reassure your girl tell her you love her again. She's about to lose her damn mind. I was starting to feel bad for her when she thought he was breaking up with her.

This wasn't just the silly romantic episode though. Although it was much lighter in the tone than most of the series. I really liked the sword and its wielder this time. Shogi is a fascinating game to me. And I almost wish the anime had let us appreciate her shogi showdown with Togame more. Especially since that was the big lesson she learned that led to her being spared the business end of Kyotoryou. She should have pursued shogi, which she actually enjoyed. Rather than sword fighting which was expected her.

That disconnect between duty and individualistic desires is a major thing to consider in Katanagatari. And it wouldn't surprise me if this is a very important episode to understanding it as a whole. As Shichika begins to discover his own will far outside of Togame's desires for him. And the nature of his inability to wield swords is expanded on. I hope the next episode is a happy one for Togame. She deserves a break after all that.
Sep 19, 2017 6:05 AM

Oct 2012
Another Maniwa bites the dust :P

Women's jealousy is a scary thing xD
I mean I never expected this kind of cliche to appear.. So ehh
But that "Kanban musume" just made this episode better xD

"Signature removed"
Jan 29, 2018 7:50 PM

Feb 2012
I've been waiting for the appearance of those pistols in a fight since we first saw them, but I'm still shocked at how effective they were. It's a common trope in anime for the sword to be able to beat the gun, but this anime that is dedicated to swords didn't take that route. It takes the accurate view of how guns made swords virtually useless, and killed one of the most important traditions in Japan.
Apr 30, 2018 6:09 PM

Aug 2007
Mmm... idk.
This episode was very average for me.
Besides the kiss, I wasn't really that entertained. This anime is very hit or miss on episodes for me it seems.

May 15, 2018 10:17 PM

Aug 2015
OMEGALUL at Togame for being so jelly that she had to use some dirty tactics just to force Shichika out of training & get the sword ASAP but dat kiss from Togame though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)👌
May 18, 2018 6:38 AM

May 2016
Those consecutive escalating misunderstandings and jealousy from Togame was hilarious. Waling in every single time at the worst yet most amusing moment resulted in her most adorable pouts so far and their beautiful first kiss together to seal the deal.

As a strategian, I should've expected that Togame would be very good at something like shogi lol. Her seemingly cheap tactic of distracting Kiguchi by verbally simulating their game was clever.

Just two Maniwani left. They say don't bring a sword to a gunfight but what happened was basically bringing two swords to a whipfight which makes little sense when I say it like that kek

Kiguchi was a great character despite not being able to teach Shichika how to wield a sword because he's hopeless in that aspect. They managed to talk about stuff they aren't normally able to talk about on a deeper level like their sword style legacies and she's a good sport as well. Her terribad pun was an adorable send-off to her.

Oct 3, 2018 1:00 AM

Aug 2008
Togame's typically obnoxious attitude made it a struggle for me to finish this episode. The jealousy/misunderstanding scenes were generic and boring. The scheme for handling Kiguchi was alright though. Definitely the worst of the series so far for me.
Oct 6, 2018 7:20 PM

Dec 2016
Emonzaemon is pretty damn badass
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 12, 2019 7:46 PM
Dec 2015
Cheerio togame is jealous
Aug 12, 2019 2:08 PM

Nov 2016
Togame was way too cute this episode xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:26 AM

May 2018
Well not that great since the fight between Shichika and Kiguchi was not good at all, especially Togame cheated, but that scheme was a good one too I like it. At the same time, Houou gets the strongest sword. The whip user Maniwani was killed by Emonzaemon, I love how she fights, but then I didn't expect Emonzaemon to use guns. Next episode might be a good one, because it is connected to Togame.

Dec 11, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2017
The dialogue is getting better and better. It's funny cuz it was annoying during the first 2 or 3 episodes but now I love it!

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 17, 2020 6:28 PM
Apr 2019
Imo best episode so far. Loved it!
Jun 3, 2020 6:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Didn't expect Togame to kiss Shichika but it was absolutely great
Jul 4, 2020 5:03 AM

Apr 2014
I really would have thought NisiOisiN of all people would be above this dumb trope... Its very disappointing that after such a strong start, this series has presented 3 episodes in a row now that I have very real criticisms of.
Sep 21, 2020 9:19 PM

Sep 2018
Jealous Togame is soooo cute lol and after all the lovey dovey, they finally kiss xD
Dec 5, 2020 7:16 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
And the Ninja kills my Maniwani Bride to Be with a gun. Reminds me of the scene in Ralph Bakshi's movie: Wizards. Blackwolf gets killed by his wizard brother with a.......... gun that was hidden under his cloak. Such a cheat method....but effective!

Dec 20, 2020 4:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great, funny, sweet episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 23, 2020 8:15 AM

Nov 2018
Everyone seems to like the episode a lot , some even call it the best out of 9 , but I actually think this episode is the worst in Katanagatari. Nisio Isin's style I love turned into full fan-service mode comedy romance , plus that gun-like sword kinda ruins martial arts setting. It felt like watching Harry Potter : HISHE episode once again ...
ZevvenDec 23, 2020 8:22 AM
I hate everyone equally
Aug 2, 2021 9:30 PM

Dec 2018
i'm not a fan of this episode at all
Apr 28, 2022 8:22 AM

Feb 2021
Heh, more great development. And that was hilarious too. I loved it
Aug 5, 2022 7:31 AM

Mar 2019
Darn, Emonzaemon really just went and said "Parry this you filthy casual"
OωO
Aug 24, 2022 2:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Togame's foot was the most detailed thing from this series thus far, as well as her thighs shortly after which were nicely shaded.

You know, for someone who's trained their body for 20 years, Shichika certainly has terrible balance when the script needs him to do the fall on anime girl cliché

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Yesterday, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.