Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 8, 2012 10:36 PM

Jul 2007
I just have to ask this question, only 10 episodes in it and i hear mixed reviews from some of my friends bout watching the series, so why is this show so popular? Is their other medium forms of SAO that i am not aware of?

Is it like an online game? I do know its adapted from light novels.

In any case, i'll watch it after its finished. But i have to know how the hell did this series get so high ratings on MAL, when some people are actually complaining bout it.
ArtimesGamerSep 8, 2012 11:04 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2012 10:39 PM

May 2012
same reason the sissy Justin Bieber, lame Twilight, Call of Duty are so popular
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 8, 2012 10:40 PM
Apr 2011
People like to complain.

As for me, I love the animation. Very fluid from what I've seen. Coupled with the fact it's an adaptation of a popular light novel series (there hasn't been a game as of yet) it's one of the better series this season (not going to go so far as to say it's the best ever, but I'm enjoying it enough to rate it highly, and that's that.)

Also, I find the characters fairly relatable, so there's that.
Sep 8, 2012 10:41 PM

Aug 2009
Same reason why High School of the Dead, Steins;Gate, Code Geass and some other few high rated is popular.

It is absolutely mind blowing.

Or people are just fans of the LN and liked it too. Of course its only 10 episodes, so it generally will go down or go up hill depending how its done in the next 15 episodes.
Sep 8, 2012 10:50 PM
Jun 2012
Idk.. someone told me about it, hyping it up and whatnot. Episode 1 was great, but episodes 2-8 were shit. The anime redeemed itself with episode 9, so I'm going to continue watching it.
Sep 8, 2012 10:54 PM

Jun 2012
Deziah said:
Idk.. someone told me about it, hyping it up and whatnot. Episode 1 was great, but episodes 2-8 were shit. The anime redeemed itself with episode 9, so I'm going to continue watching it.

You should get to watching episode 10 then. I dont care much for it, but episode 10 was awesome.
Sep 8, 2012 10:55 PM

Jul 2012
A mixed Review? Most people have voted 8+, Therefore you got that very high score. As for Why, Many have been Light Novel readers and so am I. After reading the current volumes It's just amazing to see the story/action/dialogues come to life in a 2D entertainment show.
Obviously there are some parts that could be better, But just seeing the characters come to life is what captivated me on to the anime.

SAO Fan Club.- When it was just the Light Novel 200-300 members...
When It's announced and aired(2months)- 1100+ members...
Sep 8, 2012 10:56 PM

Jul 2007
5 replies in like 12 min lol, my point exactly.

I think their is more to it then that though. After doing some research, i noticed that it has similarities to the famous .hack franchise and i think why its so popular is maybe because fans thing its going to be another huge undertaking project like the .hack franchise. I mean after all it spawned like what, 4 anime series, a few movies, like 9 games, toys and apparel, etc.

I do hear recently that namco bandai is going to create a game based on the light novels. Which btw can i buy the light novels are they translated yet? Anyways this news has me really intrigued, i have got to see this anime series or at least read the novels, and then play the games when they come out.

Sep 8, 2012 10:56 PM

May 2012
Deziah said:

I hope it redeems itself. Episodes 2-8 were so boring. If it doesn't get any better by episode 10 I'm dropping it. I'm about to start 9 now.

But I'm not too sure why SAO is so popular. It just looked to be the best show airing this season so I picked it up.
Sep 8, 2012 10:59 PM

Nov 2010
I think people are expecting a lot out of it. I didn't read the LN and I still like it. People say episodes 2-8 were bad, they weren't that bad and definitely not bad enough to drop the anime. And even bad attention is attention, there are a lot of people talking about it both good and bad, so it's really popular.
Sep 8, 2012 11:00 PM

Jul 2007
gatx375 said:
Deziah said:

I hope it redeems itself. Episodes 2-8 were so boring. If it doesn't get any better by episode 10 I'm dropping it. I'm about to start 9 now.

But I'm not too sure why SAO is so popular. It just looked to be the best show airing this season so I picked it up.

But, it has to be more then looks, thier is plenty of series that look amazing on the cover pages, but end up being pretty generic, thier has to be something that is fueling the popularity of this series, and my guess is the light novels or the fact that the same company behind .hack is creating another great title, and everyone loved .hack. If you draw comparisons between SAO and .hack, i can see how it caters to quite alot of fans.

Sep 8, 2012 11:00 PM

Jul 2012
link9us said:

I think their is more to it then that though. After doing some research, i noticed that it has similarities to the famous .hack franchise and i think why its so popular is maybe because fans thing its going to be another huge undertaking project like the .hack franchise. I mean after all it spawned like what, 4 anime series, a few movies, like 9 games, toys and apparel, etc.

I do hear recently that namco bandai is going to create a game based on the light novels. Which btw can i buy the light novels are they translated yet? Anyways this news has me really intrigued, i have got to see this anime series or at least read the novels, and then play the games when they come out.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Sword_Art_Online
Excellent Translators, although not official you must read it before you watch SAO.
Sep 8, 2012 11:02 PM

Jul 2007
DivisionG said:
link9us said:

Excellent Translators, although not official you must read it before you watch SAO.

Holy crap man is this finished? You just made my day. I am definitively going to read these.

Sep 8, 2012 11:05 PM

Jul 2012
link9us said:
DivisionG said:
link9us said:

Holy crap man is this finished? You just made my day. I am definitively going to read these.

It's not finished yet, There is going to be around 16 Volumes. the latest one came out in early July. Also have you read/watching Accel World? The same Author wrote them, there is also some connections between them.
Sep 8, 2012 11:07 PM
Jun 2012
EliteShadowMan said:
Deziah said:

You should get to watching episode 10 then. I dont care much for it, but episode 10 was awesome.

*downloading episode 10 of SAO and episode 23 of Kuroko no Basket* :3
gatx375 said:

Yeah, episode 9 was pretty damn good. It made the future of the series look more promising. Still doesn't completely get rid of the bad taste from the "captain save-a-hoe" side stories that came before it though.
Sep 8, 2012 11:07 PM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
I think people are expecting a lot out of it. I didn't read the LN and I still like it. People say episodes 2-8 were bad, they weren't that bad and definitely not bad enough to drop the anime. And even bad attention is attention, there are a lot of people talking about it both good and bad, so it's really popular.

You get 10 more internet points for this post.

My answer:
I don't know,I don't care.I like it (well,for the most part) & that's all that matters to me.Whatever opinions everyone else have of it is irrelevant.If it's popular,so be it.If it isn't,well whatever.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Sep 8, 2012 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Jeddy017 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

You get 10 more internet points for this post.

My answer:
I don't know,I don't care.I like it (well,for the most part) & that's all that matters to me.Whatever opinions everyone else have of it is irrelevant.If it's popular,so be it.If it isn't,well whatever.

Your Avatar will scar me for life, So I am going to Star Burst Stream on yo face!
Sep 8, 2012 11:29 PM

Jan 2011
It's a game about being trapped inside an MMORPG.

That, to us nerds (yes, I am one) is equivalent to what a prince arriving on a white horse is for a little girl - a dream we've always had.

It's about being stuck in a world far from the boring/cruel real world. Though in all honesty SAO is a bit more cruel than the real world. Ok, ok, much more cruel than the real world. But who cares - is there any young person who hasn't even once wondered how it would be if they lived inside a game? Maybe even WISHED to?

There you go. SAO's popularity is because it portrays the dream that people have of escaping from this world into another one. Just like shoujo anime portray the dream of girl meets white knight. Just like shounen anime portray the dream of young boys becoming powerful and popular. Just like harems... you see how it goes.
And for the time being, SAO enjoys a monopoly in the trapped-in-a-game genre, because the only other contender, .Hack, is less of a trapped-in-a-game and more like trapped-in-a-depressing-boredom-simulator.
Sep 8, 2012 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
Well I think it's popular because it's by far one of the best new animes for this year. :)
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Sep 8, 2012 11:31 PM

Aug 2010
hatahari said:
Well I think it's popular because it's by far one of the best new animes for this year. :)

That's not Space Bros.
Sep 8, 2012 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
How many threads about this has been made? It's getting really tiring.

On the other hand it all depends on peoples tastes of anime. I like it since I find aspects of the series incorporating various genres that I love in an engaging manner, etc.

So take it what you will, familiarity (with genre's in this case) breeds likability after all.
Sep 8, 2012 11:35 PM

Jul 2012
Netto_Azure said:
How many threads about this has been made? It's getting really tiring.

On the other hand it all depends on peoples tastes of anime. I like it since I find aspects of the series incorporating various genres that I love in an engaging manner, etc.

So take it what you will, familiarity (with genre's in this case) breeds likability after all.

Your avatar makes me feel like Kirito is the one saying it and I have to read it in his tone and once I Finish reading it, I gotta look at your Avatar.
Sep 8, 2012 11:39 PM
Jun 2012
hatahari said:

Sep 8, 2012 11:44 PM

Jul 2009
Shirubaasouru said:

Not sure what you mean. Justin Bieber and Twilight are popular 'cause this planet is overpopulated with brainless fangirls. Call of Duty on the other hand is awesome by definition, Battlefield's campaign stories always sucked and always will, and I couldn't care less about multiplayer.
Sep 8, 2012 11:59 PM

Jul 2010
Sky-ue said:
hatahari said:

That's not Space Bros.

I do think I said "one of the best", not the "best of the best" so if you think Space Bros. is the best for this year, then believe on what you say. It's all opinions. :)
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Sep 9, 2012 12:06 AM

Nov 2009
Like I care ? Nope.

I enjoy watching a certain show, whether it is popular or not.

I watch SAO cause I've read the novel and in love with it. I just want to see how are they going to animate my favourite novel on the tv screen.

Whether it's a bad or good adaption, I will stay and watch till the end.

Same apply for Little Buster! next season.
Sep 9, 2012 12:09 AM

Jul 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Like I care ? Nope.

I enjoy watching a certain show, whether it is popular or not.

I watch SAO cause I've read the novel and in love with it. I just want to see how are they going to animate my favourite novel on the tv screen.

Whether it's a bad or good adaption, I will stay and watch till the end.

Same apply for Little Buster! next season.

Exact same reasons!
Sep 9, 2012 12:10 AM

Dec 2009
Because it's fun to watch. I don't like it that much but I've never got bored by watching SOA.
Sep 9, 2012 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
*facepalm*
Sep 9, 2012 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
unique, great story, very interesting, enjoyable of action & characters.

Theres your answer,
if you or anyone else still doesn't understand. Sadly it means this isn't your taste of anime and can't see its true worth.
Sep 9, 2012 12:29 AM

Mar 2011
It's really easy to enjoy and popular with almost any ages
Sep 9, 2012 12:30 AM

Apr 2012
I read the light novels
Anime must be god tier perfection
10/10 after watching first episode

SAO fanbase in 3 sentences.

hatahari said:

What kind of shit did you watch for you to say something that absurd?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Sep 9, 2012 12:30 AM

Feb 2012
You better start watching it now. Atleast one episode. That will probably answer your question.
Sep 9, 2012 12:44 AM
Sep 2011
BloodRequiem said:
I read the light novels
Anime must be god tier perfection
10/10 after watching first episode

SAO fanbase in 3 sentences.

hatahari said:

What kind of shit did you watch for you to say something that absurd?

I laughed so much after reading your comments.
" I read the novel, then the anime must be god tier perfection"

There aren't any light novel/manga/visual novel adaption which can be considered as "perfection" to its origin, they are nowhere near it. So don't get your expectation up then get disappointed.

You think clannad AS was great compare to its origin? Nope -> play the game
How about Fate/Zero? Nope -> read the novel
the same apply for:
Bake/Nisemono
Ef

And many other "good" adaption. There only delivered 50-70% contents of their origins.
Sep 9, 2012 12:46 AM

Nov 2010
never heard the name SAO before it was in the upcoming list... i started watching it and i like it. for the score? i never rate a show before i finish it.
Sep 9, 2012 12:48 AM

Jul 2009
Um cause of this?

Courtesy of SC.
Sep 9, 2012 12:53 AM

Feb 2010
Shirubaasouru said:

Pretty much.

A lot of people like shitty shounens.
VanisherSep 9, 2012 12:56 AM
Sep 9, 2012 12:57 AM

Sep 2008
well, it is quite similar to the .hack franchise, of course that could be one factor, i myself started watching the anime, and after episode 2 was in love with the anime, so much i picked up the novels, and already finished up until volume 9, i gotta say, its just plain awsome

and lets face it, the DEATH GAME, is as popular as ever, everyone loves it, mix it with romance and battles, and you get SAO and because of that it becomes popular

btw, not meaning to spoil you or anything, but the reason episodes 2-8 were so "boring" was to set up the story, since the actual story (as like in the volume 1 of the LN) starts from episode 9 (on the 74th floor)

givei it some time, you'll love it
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Sep 9, 2012 1:46 AM

May 2010
DivisionG said:
A mixed Review? Most people have voted 8+, Therefore you got that very high score. As for Why, Many have been Light Novel readers and so am I. After reading the current volumes It's just amazing to see the story/action/dialogues come to life in a 2D entertainment show.
Obviously there are some parts that could be better, But just seeing the characters come to life is what captivated me on to the anime.[/quote=DivisionG]
Sep 9, 2012 1:49 AM

Apr 2010
Why does anyone like anything?

What is the meaning of life?

Sep 9, 2012 1:51 AM

Jul 2007
Zero_r2 said:
well, it is quite similar to the .hack franchise, of course that could be one factor, i myself started watching the anime, and after episode 2 was in love with the anime, so much i picked up the novels, and already finished up until volume 9, i gotta say, its just plain awsome

and lets face it, the DEATH GAME, is as popular as ever, everyone loves it, mix it with romance and battles, and you get SAO and because of that it becomes popular

btw, not meaning to spoil you or anything, but the reason episodes 2-8 were so "boring" was to set up the story, since the actual story (as like in the volume 1 of the LN) starts from episode 9 (on the 74th floor)

givei it some time, you'll love it

That sounds pretty interesting, i really thoroughly enjoyed the .hack universe and the franchise. It was something rather unique, even though the anime series were never up to par with the actual games. Still was an amazing universe to explore and if SAO is anything like that. I am sure i will love it. It is like being inside your own video game world. I just wanted to get opinions and views from people that have seen it, so its definitively sparked my interest.

Something i was really highly anticipating was for a company to create a .hack MMORPG, but it never actually happen, they were thinking bout it but it ultimately failed and got canceled.

Anyways you bet, i will definitively check out this anime. And for those who have asked if i have seen Accell world, no. I pretty much have not seen anything this season. I generally wait for a series to finish, or a season of that series to finish before i watch it.

Sep 9, 2012 2:15 AM
Oct 2011
Pan151 said:
It's a game about being trapped inside an MMORPG.

That, to us nerds (yes, I am one) is equivalent to what a prince arriving on a white horse is for a little girl - a dream we've always had.

It's about being stuck in a world far from the boring/cruel real world. Though in all honesty SAO is a bit more cruel than the real world. Ok, ok, much more cruel than the real world. But who cares - is there any young person who hasn't even once wondered how it would be if they lived inside a game? Maybe even WISHED to?

There you go. SAO's popularity is because it portrays the dream that people have of escaping from this world into another one. Just like shoujo anime portray the dream of girl meets white knight. Just like shounen anime portray the dream of young boys becoming powerful and popular. Just like harems... you see how it goes.
And for the time being, SAO enjoys a monopoly in the trapped-in-a-game genre, because the only other contender, .Hack, is less of a trapped-in-a-game and more like trapped-in-a-depressing-boredom-simulator.
This guy understands what he's talking about, a reliable post indeed. "A cute teenager who got stuck in a game and find the girl of his dreams there and survive the harsh (virtual) reality together." I think this sums up why this series is popular.

Also for those who are saying SAO is the best anime this season, could you name some other good shows this season? SAO was in this season with no competition, there's like no interesting action shows this season other than SAO, and it's summer, so lots of people watched it because it's one of the very few names that looked interesting, it was a disappointing season overall tbh. For me the best anime this season would be Binbougami Ga!

Sky-ue said:
hatahari said:

That's not Space Bros.
Well he said one of the best, but I have to agree that Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Bros is the best anime this year, till now, fall season looks really promising so we'll see if that changes or not.
Candor123Sep 9, 2012 2:37 AM
Sep 9, 2012 2:26 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I really enjoy the concept. The animation lookes nice, and I simply enjoy it.
Sep 9, 2012 2:30 AM

Feb 2012
SAO is probably so popular because there is nothing better this summer season.And honestly that is just my opinion.This season sucks.

So if you say to me SAO sucks in my opinion the other animes of this season will fall down even more.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Sep 9, 2012 2:59 AM

Aug 2012
well, it's a good concept but executed badly :/

Some times people aren't looking for something that's great, they are just satisfied with something more "simple" that they enjoy.
RabbiacSep 9, 2012 3:11 AM
Sep 9, 2012 3:02 AM
Jan 2012
People are always going to have different ideas of what they like, and what they don't, and what's good at what's bad.

I personally like this series. It was a little dry at first, but it's picked up recently. Also, the animation and art style really appeal to me, which is one of the things that draws me to a series.

So, what I'm saying is, things are always popular for a reason, hell, you may not like them when everyone else does, we've all experienced that, but that's like saying someone like Justin Bieber doesn't deserve his popularity, just because he's not your thing.

Then again, what do I know?
Sep 9, 2012 3:20 AM

Aug 2009
SAO is a nice take on MMORPG's, so as a Online Gamer I appreciate and understand the life of an MMORPG player(excluding the death iRL part). :D

Sep 9, 2012 3:28 AM

Nov 2009
Candor said:

"best anime of the year" is subjective, I think of a different show.

But, I'm gonna wait for the real "best anime of this year(2012)"
http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=7d083081f79cca9a6cc073211b381ada

^ this site is one of the most reliable site to evaluate an anime you can find across the Internet. I cannot agree more on all of their awards.
Takana_no_HanaSep 9, 2012 3:32 AM
Sep 9, 2012 3:39 AM
Sep 2012
SWORD ART ONLINE NE OF MY FAVORITE ANIME FOR ALL TIME!!...

AHEM, OF COURSE IT IS VERY POPULAR BECAUSE THE PLOT THE TWISTING EVENTS OMG!!!! IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!! SO YOU MUST WATCH THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS SOOOO POPULAR!!
WOHOOOOOOOO
THE CHARACTERS ~KAWAII~

~DON'T UNDERESTIMATE ME~ =D
''Watching anime and Reading manga is for recreation ''
Sep 9, 2012 3:39 AM

Aug 2009
Migzie said:
SWORD ART ONLINE NE OF MY FAVORITE ANIME FOR ALL TIME!!...

AHEM, OF COURSE IT IS VERY POPULAR BECAUSE THE PLOT THE TWISTING EVENTS OMG!!!! IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!! SO YOU MUST WATCH THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS SOOOO POPULAR!!
WOHOOOOOOOO
THE CHARACTERS ~KAWAII~

~DON'T UNDERESTIMATE ME~ =D

Everything you say is invalid.
KairenSep 9, 2012 3:44 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
Yesterday, 10:18 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.