Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 11, 2007 11:55 AM

May 2005
Any comments on this episode?
This episode got me nervous and angry for a bit there. Like Mai, I actually thought Naru would harm the students. I should've put more trust in Naru. -_-;
Hopefully the next ghost file will be just as intense and interesting, if not more. And I want to see more Yasuhara because I like his playful attitude. In a way, Yasuhara remind me of Shigure in Fruits Basket. XD~
Feb 12, 2007 8:38 AM

Aug 2006
I agree, sorairo, about Naru. I have to start believing that he's not really the ass that he likes to come across as.

Mai's powers are really starting to develop, now, and I can't wait to see where they go. But I loved the tirade she went on, yelling at Naru. I can't say that I blame her, because he didn't exactly tell her what his true plans were. But at the end of the episode, when he gave her that little smile... just like her dreams... I was like "awwwwwww"... got a little misty eyed... lol.

And yes!!! More Yasuhara!! I hope he makes more appearances in this series. I hate to think that since this particular arc is over, we'll never see him again!!
Feb 14, 2007 11:45 AM

Jan 2007
I was hoping he wouldn't actually hurt anyone, but it was looking pretty bad there for a while. Mai surprised me a little with her yelling - not that she would yell, but that she would say such mean things to him.

The smile at the end was great...maybe that's what he really needs, to be yelled at once in a while. Could the frosty exterior be cracking?

Have you seen episode 18 yet? Guess who comes back!! :D
Jul 9, 2007 8:30 AM

Aug 2006
pfft. W/e Mai was just a moron in this episode. I really hate her now. All she did was stand around and spout idealistic nonsense with no idea of what to do. Well that doesn't really help anyone now does it you stupid b*tch! Ugh she pissed me off.

I mean, Naru would obviously pick the best solution for everyone if he could (and did). However even before his solution was revealed in the end the decision he originally reached (turning it back on the students) was in the interest of "justice" and "fairness" so what the hell did she want him to do if there wasn't any other choice?

Then in the end, HE apologizes to HER! All she can say is "Oh well I was GOING to apologize der!" I'm not even sure what he was apologizing for. Because the situation made her upset??
Mar 8, 2008 11:36 AM

Feb 2008
Imo, Mai was overreacting during this episode. I mean, how could she believe that Naru would kill all those students?
Also, the ending part with Yasuhara was pretty funny =P
May 16, 2008 5:20 PM

Mar 2008
Haha, I really liked Yasuhara.

& Mai was too irritating in this episode, if I was Naru I'd have to tell her to stfu. Hell, she wouldn't even work for me.
Oct 23, 2008 10:44 AM

Oct 2008
What a great and intense episode. Had to watch it two times. In a row. The best episode so far.

Mai was really annoying, since she kept on going on and on, even though she herself couldn't have thought of a better plan or better answer to the problem. Although I see her point of view, the way she acted, the way she reacted and the things she said Really Pissed Me Off! Her reaction was pretty appropriate for someone of her age and her character though.

She was also stupidly optimistic, naive and foolish for trying to go and settle things all by herself though. It was also not easy to have faith in Naru.

The last part with Yasuhara was really funny and unexpected. He's so funny!

Dec 16, 2008 3:08 PM

Apr 2008
Kayro said:
Mai was overreacting during this episode. I mean, how could she believe that Naru would kill all those students?

I agree. Mai was annoying in this episode. How could she even think Naru wanted to kill those students. I knew he was up to something but I didn't know what. I believed in him. And it really hurt when Mai called Naru a "murderer". Thank goodness there was some humor in the episode too. ^.^

OH, and I LOVED Naru's smile! ^.^
Jul 10, 2009 7:20 PM

Sep 2008
I liked this story, for all the possibilities the situation raised. I liked the conflict between the characters as well. I think the case helped both Mai and Naru develop a bit more.

I agree Mai overreacted, but you got to keep in mind her point of view - she's still really new to the whole ghost hunting business. The team made it sound like to her that there were only two possible options, so it's not too surprising that she didn't think that things would turn out well with the course of action it looked like they were taking. Of course Naru didn't want to compromise his plan at all by revealing the details, but he probably should have known that Mai wouldn't keep a cool head over the possibility of harming the school students - he could have said something to reassure her that everything was under control. But it was just part of Naru's personality to keep quiet, and let the others try to calm her down. He seemed to open up a bit more at the end of the episode though - it will be interesting to see what happens with him and Mai next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2009 12:34 AM

Jan 2009
I hate how Naru's always so mysterious, like couldn't he just tell everyone his plan so Mai didn't have to flip out?

Sep 22, 2009 6:10 PM

Aug 2009
I can't believe I actually believed he was going to kill the students.
;_;

And that smile of his....aaahhh.
I'm surprised Mai didn't collapse.
Oct 1, 2009 11:58 AM

Jun 2008
kool_300 said:
And that smile of his....aaahhh.
I'm surprised Mai didn't collapse.

I'm glad she didn't - though I, too, was waiting for her to do so - because it always frustrated me when she'd flip out and get way too excited whenever Naru did anything remotely kind to her cuz it ruins it!! I'm hoping this means she's going to chill out a little now with regard to him and just PLEASE let the chips fall where they may. lol

Oct 2, 2009 9:10 AM
May 2009
Seems like these cases are getting more severe each time. Can't wait to see what's next.
Nov 19, 2009 10:31 AM

Jul 2009
Uwahh nice moment between Naru and Mai there
And lol Yasuharu simply stole all my laugh with his line "I have faith" "in myself" XD
Nov 27, 2009 1:38 AM

Nov 2009
Kayro said:
Imo, Mai was overreacting during this episode. I mean, how could she believe that Naru would kill all those students?
Also, the ending part with Yasuhara was pretty funny =P

Lol yeah i know the end was funny, but what was up with Mai? how retarded can you be, i mean come one theres no way Naru was gonna let it end like that, she should have more faith in him.
Dec 23, 2009 9:49 AM

Aug 2009
Every time when Naru smiles... A puppy dies.
... +1 D:
Dec 24, 2009 10:19 AM

Oct 2008
Jumperboy333 said:
... +1 D:

XD

Also, <3 Yasuhara.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 18, 2010 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
lol Yasuhara's jokes are really cute haha. XD

awww Naru-chan. <33
Feb 18, 2010 9:10 AM

Dec 2009
Great episode. I'm really impressed with Naru-chan for coming up with an all-rounded solution.

That aside..... Sigh~ I really wish one of the characters will give Mai a BIG slap. She's really being annoying and unreasonable. It's true that she's new to this ghost buster business and Naru was being so tight-lipped about what he intended to do, but given that she didn't have that much an ability to put a stop to the situation, she should really just waited till the end and see before making comment. Instead of running into the problem like headless chicken and becoming hopping mad over things that's too early to judge.

I was so annoyed that I almost wanted to start a Mai hate thread. =w= Gawd...
Feb 19, 2010 5:24 PM

Jul 2008
Why the f*ck couldn't have Naru just told her even though he wasn't sure of it working properly? People being killed, especially by spirits is not something to take lightly. I think I would have flipped out the same way Mai did~

Omg, I'm going to miss Yasuhara. ;_;
Mar 18, 2010 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
Kayro said:

Definitely x__X
Also, it was kind of cheesy when Naru smiled and the wind blew... XD Haha. w/e.

Nuuu I don't want Yasuhara to go...can't they make him stay? D: He's so cool.
And, um...the infamous Bloodstained Labyrinth is next. Not sure if I want to watch it now, it's kinda late xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 5, 2010 11:53 PM

Nov 2007
wow Mai was pretty annoying this episode. atleast the monk and the others didn't rage like her and I wish someone would of slapped her. holy shit did naru smile? pretty good resolution although that teachers still going to be a douche.
Sep 5, 2010 3:11 AM

Sep 2009
The last bit with Yasuhara was funny as when he was like
"i was sure i would come out ok" xD

Sep 7, 2010 8:22 PM

Mar 2010
Anitnelav said:
Jumperboy333 said:
... +1 D:

XD

Also, <3 Yasuhara.
LOL

Jan 4, 2011 2:35 PM

Jan 2010
i'm so happy i started this anime :),it's really good and awesome and the characters are nice :D

Mai was so cute in all this movie(yeah i watched all 4 episodes like it was a movie)...and naru even miled for once lol...he got game,i'm saying it again

I'm gonna miss Yasu too,it's one of the greatest episodic characters i've seen:)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 17, 2011 7:14 AM

Jun 2010
Mai was little annoying in this episode.. She should be more faithful to Naru.
and yeah I love Yasuhara too.XD

Cenedess said:
um...the infamous Bloodstained Labyrinth is next. Not sure if I want to watch it now, it's kinda late xD

and that is what I am thinking now. I really don't want to watch this series late at night >.<
Apr 22, 2011 9:28 PM

Jun 2010
This is by FAR one of my FAVORITE series. Everything is just... PERFECT. XD Characters, plot, music (*THUMBS UP* Toshio Masuda!! X3) EVERYTHING. hehe I watched the whole series in one day. :D
This episode though... not one of my favorites. First off... why couldn't Naru JUST TELL EVERYONE WHAT HIS PLAN WAS??? I realize it's not really his style but if he's gonna apologize in the end ANYWAY just TELL HER. Jeez. And Mai... really... Would the Naru you know EVER kill a TON (or even one!) people??! FAITH WOMAN. Where's yours? >:/

Oct 14, 2011 8:21 PM

May 2009
I suppose Naru didn't properly explain his plan because he wasn't sure it would actually work. I don't blame Mai. She's only 15 years old and something like that would have flipped anyone.
Nov 16, 2011 4:00 AM

Mar 2011
Yasuhara is such a boss.

Liked the tension in this episode.
Dec 21, 2011 1:47 AM

Sep 2011
Meh, I knew he wouldn't have killed the students. Sort of predictable in my opinion but was still an awesome chapter/episode! Loved the part where Naru finally smiles! :D
Jan 20, 2012 11:27 PM

Jun 2011
I kinda hate Mai for calling Naru a murderer, even though she doesn't know anything, she should have more faith in Naru, how long has she known him for? But I guess everything works out fine in the end, with a moe blushing Mai.. Man, I would like to see Yasuhara again in the future.. :D
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 1, 2012 8:38 AM

Nov 2008
Knew many ppl is gunna comment on Naru's smile. That smile was SO rare. Next arc!
Mar 21, 2012 9:42 PM

Mar 2011
The ending to this arc was incredibly, amazingly,
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Apr 3, 2012 8:56 PM

Nov 2010
Aaaww.. leave Mai alone. She's actually quite cute like that and that's what makes her character. Because she's so sincere and honest with her feelings towards people.
Though I do believe she did went a biiit overboard by saying those mean things.. "Murderer!" oh my gosh...
Since I'm a pretty emotional person mymself, I get worked up on that kind of level too to an extend, so I can actually quite understand Mai's reaction. (Plus she's a n00b in this )': give her a break..)

But Naru understood her quite well in the end and I was so happy he said it (:
With the smile as a big big plus haha. I'm not sure if I want to slap him or hug him sometimes xD;

And yes. Big win for Yasuhara. xD A very sympathetic character haha
May 15, 2012 10:44 AM

May 2012
Awesome arc. I'm annoyed that Naru didn't tell Mai the truth sooner but I'm pretty sure the writers wanted to get in that apology scene.

Trust issues played a big part in this storyline, eventually Mai did begin to trust in Naru but she was certainly reluctant and I think Naru is just as reluctant to trust her and her opinions. I think however he is slowly starting to respect her opinions and listen to her hunches even if she doesn't completely believe in her own supernatural abilities.

You know, I really don't mind that any type of relationship between those two is forming slowly, I'd hate for them to go from having such issues and arguments in the first episodes to suddenly being all kissy-kissy, I think that's what makes their characters so great together, that constant friction.
Miss-ScarlettMay 15, 2012 11:02 AM
Mar 23, 2013 5:17 PM
Jan 2012
"Mai was overreacting" my ass, she was totally right. Naru should have told her what he was planning to do. The annoying one was Naru, not her. Get your shit together, people :P Anyway, great and intense episode, it is a shame the professor didn't die, though. Also, Yasuhara-san is so funny, too bad he is not going to be part of the team (I think?).
Mar 31, 2013 8:59 AM

May 2012
Well that's it for this case, wasn't my favorite case but was interesting in the end though!
Apr 10, 2013 6:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Mai and Naru have a bit of a communication problem they need to fix.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 19, 2013 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
2.5/5 Well, that was a mediocre case. I expected some sort of twist with the president but it turns out that he was just there for comedic moments. It had okay set up at the beginning but fell apart at the end. There's just no spark to this case. :|

On the plus side, I like Monk and Mai's relationship. At least he treats her right.

I have to say though, this is definitely one of the "starter animes" for people that are just getting into anime, along with the Big Three, AoT and SAO. It's very easy to watch this and get immersed into the story, even if it isn't the strongest I've seen.

Cool, so the next case is called the Bloodstained Labyrinth! That sounds spooky already. Hopefully it can top Silent Christmas.
MayukaAug 19, 2013 9:09 PM
Sep 1, 2013 8:06 PM
Jun 2013
Man those kids would have been destroyed going by the wooden figures. Also the naru smile made me cringe so much.Then again the whole mai/naru situation makes me cringe all together. Also he was douch not to tell mai "hey we are going to try this" Im sure going by how mai is she would have been supportive if there was a chance to save everyone and would have put faith in lin and naru. No insted he left her in the dark for no reason and all she did was scream and yell for 25 minutes.
Oct 30, 2013 8:44 AM

Feb 2011
I actually admit to being creeped out during this case. I really enjoyed it, and it really got me thinking a lot about Mai's dreams. Why exactly does Naru appear in all of them? Is it related to some kind of psychic ability he has? Is Mai tapping into an inner version of Naru? Despite his cold demeanor, Naru does every so often offer glimpses at his harbored kindness. Or is it merely Mai subconsciously projecting him into her dreams because she's crushing on him? Ok, I don't really believe that last one, but I know there's gotta be some significance here.

I did find Mai's carrying on this ep to get a little grating after awhile. I completely understand why she was so upset (I would have been too), but based on his previous actions, I didn't really believe Naru would do something that cruel, so I was surprised Mai didn't rethink things and have a little more faith in him. Still, shame on Naru for making her suffer like that! The guy clearly has some social/communication issues. I really liked the apology scene, though. After Mai's first dream with him, I'd been impatiently waiting for Naru to finally smile like that. The moment he stopped to look back at her I was like -- "Yes! He's gonna do it! He's gonna do it!"
Jan 11, 2014 11:25 PM

Sep 2013
Mai was a little obnoxious, too much yelling. Even though, I would've done the same. I would have to say this is one of the creepiest cases yet. The second case was a bit creepy too, but I have to say this one. I actually starting to think Naru is a heartless monster but I know he's not like that.

Naru finally showing some emotions, atta b!

Apr 24, 2014 11:50 PM

Mar 2012
mystik said:
wow Mai was pretty annoying this episode. atleast the monk and the others didn't rage like her and I wish someone would of slapped her. holy shit did naru smile? pretty good resolution although that teachers still going to be a douche.

Mai needed to get Bright slapped pretty badly this episode.
http://anyafennec.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/1228270165132.jpg
Jul 30, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
Mai was pretty stupid.. Naru was a man in this case. I was actually quite surprise she doesn't believe in Naru's decision.. weird to not even have that bit of trust on your own crush. It's not like the first time you've seen him does things right ? Calling him a murderer takes more will power than mere losing your cool.. all those harsh words made her look quite pathetic to be honest. Anyway Naru's smile strikes again.. though I was hoping for something more than a smile when they made up. Mai was really dumb to only be on the receiving end. Rush for a hug or something damn it.. standing there like a stalk. Stop blushing for everything for god's sake LOL. It's a little annoying to see a glimpse bit of romance with no progress.

But the story was great.. enjoyed it a lot. Mai was quite hard to watch in this arc though.
I would maybe agree that failure of a teacher deserves a near death penalty.
Aug 29, 2014 4:11 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
mystik said:

Mai needed to get Bright slapped pretty badly this episode.
http://anyafennec.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/1228270165132.jpg

ahxiian said:
Mai was pretty stupid.. Naru was a man in this case. I was actually quite surprise she doesn't believe in Naru's decision.. weird to not even have that bit of trust on your own crush. It's not like the first time you've seen him does things right ? Calling him a murderer takes more will power than mere losing your cool.. all those harsh words made her look quite pathetic to be honest. Anyway Naru's smile strikes again.. though I was hoping for something more than a smile when they made up. Mai was really dumb to only be on the receiving end. Rush for a hug or something damn it.. standing there like a stalk. Stop blushing for everything for god's sake LOL. It's a little annoying to see a glimpse bit of romance with no progress.

But the story was great.. enjoyed it a lot. Mai was quite hard to watch in this arc though.
I would maybe agree that failure of a teacher deserves a near death penalty.

i personally feel that she reacted correctly as a normal human. juz put yourself in her shoes. the curse had the risk of failing, and if worst-case scenario, the student population can effectively be wiped by more than half. how are they gonna explain to the authorities then? it can even escalate into a national scandal! well, juz think about this realistically though

how was she suppose to know hes plan aah? its Naru's fault for not telling her the real plan, awry normal person wold call him murderer if he say's stuff like that, that he will let so meany innocent die to save 1 bastard, after hearing that u can't trust him anymore, no matter how well u know him & how close u are

if some of u cant understand her & this situation, then watch Kids anime's, cause kids anime's are easier to understand

even i would have called him murderer & being upset on him
Sugram22Aug 29, 2014 4:14 AM
Oct 26, 2014 5:52 AM

Sep 2014
As usual they are going all out to make Naru the hero. It seems forced. Lin did the main thing. The others especially the heroine are forced to stay passive and have faith in our hero as he keeps his plans hidden while making everyone work. I like the monk more.
Dec 26, 2014 4:25 AM

Nov 2013
Mai went full on bitch mode this episode.

That Naru smile oughta make Mai moist...

I love Naru. He's just so cold, that it makes it difficult to relate to him yet I like how mysterious he is.

Decent episode. Not great.

7/10 and 7.5/10 for the arc

Feb 26, 2015 9:59 AM

Jul 2014
Naru's smile is the ultimate OHKO trump card against Mai.
2nd favorite arc behind the doll one
8/10
Apr 1, 2015 2:30 PM

May 2014
I really wanted to punch Mai in the throat this episode tbh. I really don't see why Naru smiled at her in the end, the romance genre is ridiculous nowadays.

Yasu is perf~

Nov 14, 2015 7:56 AM

Jan 2012
Good job Naru.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ghost Hunt Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chelle - Jan 27, 2007

69 by SSSniperDyn »»
Jan 29, 7:03 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hunt Episode 1 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Oct 24, 2007

48 by s9fy »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hunt Episode 7 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 4, 2008

36 by glittergalaxy »»
Oct 20, 2023 7:05 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hunt Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 5, 2008

60 by xoxokiller »»
Oct 18, 2023 5:15 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hunt Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

windy - Mar 30, 2007

145 by akhorvash753 »»
Aug 21, 2023 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.