Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2008 10:27 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Fersen Departs for the Northland"

Antoinette is ecstatic to be Queen and believes that it will grant her the happiness and freedom she's been searching for. Her first act as Queen is to promote Oscar to High Commander of the Royal Guard, giving her a rank similar to that of a Colonel and doubling her salary and pension. Oscar accepts the promotion but turns down the raise due to France's current lack of wealth. Oscar worries that Antoinette's honesty with her emotions will cause her trouble as a sovereign, and that the taxation of the common people would lower her popularity. Her fears are realized when Antoinette begins canceling events and turning down the hundreds of people requesting an audience with her on a regular basis to see Fersen. She also associates with young people of no ranking rather than the families of Dukes with strong ties to the royal family, angering commoners and nobles alike. Oscar urges Fersen to go back to Sweeden to avoid scandal, and he reluctantly agrees. Duke Guemenee kills a peasant boy for stealing some his money out of starvation. Oscar angrily goes after him, but is stopped by Andre because the Duke is too powerful for even the King to touch easily. summary courtesy of Wikipedia

Antoinette is till quite the airhead is probably going to get herself in a lot of trouble. Oscar continues to show high morals and character when she accepts the promotion, but not the raise. She would probably make a much better ruler than anyone in power right now.

Duke deGuemence (did I spell that right?) = evil Super Mario w/ that `stache

Kinda strange how Fersen suddenly started to show interest in Oscar after their meeting.

Oh sh*t! That evil Duke (not Orleans) shot a kid in the back?! No one steals from evil Super Mario!

Jan 28, 2009 10:09 PM

May 2007
Really, he killed a kid, what a jerk.

Antionette is stupid and going to cause a lot of bad things to happen.
My anime list
Feb 26, 2011 3:08 PM

Sep 2009
Antoinette is a rly sad case.
She's given all the power but isn't properly educated as to the weight of her duties.
She sees the role of Queen as a way to be free of constraints
while it's actually the most chained position she can have.
It's sad she doesnt understand the relations of her country and how many things she affects
by refusing to give an audience to important ppl and such.
Sep 3, 2011 1:37 PM

Feb 2010
What a rage inducing scene bfore the opening. Antoinette talking about finalle being free, as if she had ever experienced real(!) restrictions in her life. Annoying Brat is annoying.

And Oscar refusing a higher salary just once again shows her greatness of characters. But I have the feeling that Antoinette sooner or later will become annoyed with her attitude, because not accepting promotions etc and talking about the poverty of france can be interpreted as limiting her freedom again (She can't promote someone who refuses, so that's a limit of her power).

Anyway, Oscar did the only right thing when she convinced Fersen to leave, and him understanding makes me like him. He seems way too (socially) intelligent for Antoinette.

And who is that Geumenée(?) guy? I think he had short appearances before, but suddenly out of nowhere he seems to become the next bad guy (probably being used by Orleans on the way - or the other way round, we'll see.) and doing a good job at that. Really, such an arsehole, needlessly killing the kid after promising mercy. It wouldn't have been THAT bad if he just refused her plead and killed the child on the spot, but the way he did it served no purpose at all and was even more cruel than the act alone. Shame on him.
And why can't he be touched by the king? That I don't quite understand.

As for Rosalie it seems like they are setting the stage for a major character development or some explosion of feelings against the upper echelon. She will probably marry Robespierre or something like that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 20, 2012 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
No wonder the people are getting upset enough for a revolution! The aristocrats can just do whatever they want. They gotta get some PR on the go right now. At least Ferson left, so that's one less thing to worry about. I'm not sure what I think about their policy of introducing a character for only a handful of episodes.

I'd like to see more of how Louis is handling running the kingdom.
Sep 28, 2012 5:37 AM

Sep 2008
DonKangolJones said:

Kinda strange how Fersen suddenly started to show interest in Oscar after their meeting.

I thought that Fersen actually started showing more interest in Oscar after he found out that she's a woman and not actually just an androgynous man? In that episode when Oscar got injured after saving Marie from... well, saving her from riding atop a horse, really.

Anyway. I thought it was a bit strange that a load of responsibilities were shoved onto Marie, and didn't see Louis the entire episode doing anything. Is he just as busy as she is [supposed to be], with running France and all that jazz?

Marie's annoying-ness seemed to grow unbearably in this episode, especially with the way she was just carelessly spending money. Oscar's declination of a pay-raise and show of concern for France was indeed pretty noble and made me like her even more. I agree with another commenter that said that Fersen, also, seems too intelligent for Antoinette.

I'm interested to see the direction Rosalie will go in, and how all these stories will tie together (including Jeanne's).
Feb 12, 2013 11:41 PM

Sep 2010
Marie I don't think you should be canceling concerts and keep your audiences waiting cause it will all come back and bitch slap you across that pretty little face of yours.

Wow that noble was a jerk for killing that kid. -__-
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 1, 2013 9:49 AM

Jun 2009
Oscar's reaction to the killing of the kid was fucking powerful. That the Duke could do that out in the open and get away with it is sickening.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 13, 2013 11:25 PM

Jul 2008
This new Duke is a true prick and Antionette as I feared is just a spoiled coddled child who just wants to play. This is a bad combination.

viva la revolution.
Nov 3, 2013 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
I really wasn't expecting for this show to be like this especially for a shoujo. But i guess it makes sense since it's set on the damn French Revolution.
Jan 1, 2014 9:13 PM

Feb 2012
Poor kid. Did not see that coming. Antoinette is so annoying.
Feb 1, 2014 9:58 AM

Nov 2012
Damn, that was so fucking sad :(!
and Oscar's reaction made it even more sad .. so rough!
Mar 29, 2014 7:26 PM

Jan 2014
Antoinette's being annoying again... also, why are all the villains so two-dimensional? come on, the duke even cackled after shooting that kid... besides that, another great episode
Sep 29, 2014 5:49 PM

Mar 2012
So many ass holes in this series lol.
Sep 29, 2014 8:21 PM

Jul 2011
Wow, no sense of responsibility whatsoever. Who was in charge of her education? She doesn't know a single thing about running a country or the responsibilities associated with such wealth and power... freedom? Not so. Where do you think all that wealth is coming from, girl??

Aww, Oscar. I really want to see the revolution now. XD
Feb 11, 2015 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
Well, no wonder the French economy went bust with such incompetent rulers, the Seven Years' War, helping the American Revolution financially, bad harvests(but ofc they're not covering this for some reason), not caring much about their citizens, no taxation on the nobles and the church.
I'd like this show to cover the economic situation a bit, as well as the wars France waged, but, it doesn't seem like it would happen.

At least Oscar is showing some concern for the economy and the citizens.
Mar 9, 2015 3:24 PM

Apr 2014
oh no I can already tell Marie is going to be a very terrible Queen....Oscar better do something and show Marie how the poor people live. she should live out in the streets for a few weeks to experience it first hand

and like i said in every previous discussion, MORE OSCAR!!!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2015 12:10 AM

Mar 2012
Salmissra said:
Antoinette is a rly sad case.
Shes given all the power but isnt properly educated as to the weight of her duties.
She sees the role of Queen as a way to be free of constraints
while its actually the most chained position she can have.

This, basically.
But I wonder if it is just miseducation or that she is an ignorant at heart. I mean, keeping yourself in the noble bubble is the easier path.

Also, that duke, fuck him. (and more oscar ²)
Jan 6, 2016 10:54 AM
Nov 2014
Marie pls, I hope Oscar smacks her ass for being a horrible Queen :P Duke is too OP, not even the King can touch him ?
May 29, 2016 10:42 PM

Oct 2014
Establishing antagonists is fine and all but it seems the writer plays the shock value card a little too often -- to the point where it loses its value.

Oscar, great character that she is, is starting to look like a "Miss Hindsight_Is_20_20" character -- written in with the benefit of the lessons of history.

Overall I still like the show but more and more it seems the writing is becoming as subtle as a Mack truck.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Jun 8, 2016 11:07 PM

Jan 2013
Even though Antoinette's position isn't the most enviable for a 19 year old, the gulf in the level of maturity between Antoinette and Oscar is almost embarrassing at times.
Rat face Guemuene's actions were truly quite shocking and the whole scene was ridiculously powerful. Rosalie seems to be someone who will play a major role in future, given that she's basically witnessing all the nobles' shenanigans and all.
TrequartistaJun 9, 2016 12:06 AM
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 7, 2016 9:31 PM

Feb 2009
Oscar is a bit too wishy-washy for my liking. Half the time she's written as a cool headed and logical character, and the other half she's a completely irrational mess driven entirely be her emotions.
Jul 5, 2017 7:48 AM

Jul 2015
Poor France, what a queen they got.

I laughed so hard when the duke killed the kid, this anime doesn't even try with the villains, and why does he look like Mario lmao.
Dec 11, 2017 1:34 PM

Nov 2016
Lol,lol under these circumstances it was really no surprise that people started a revolution.

Fuck dat duke.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 16, 2017 3:23 AM
Nov 2010
The duke killing the child after agreeing to let him go was probably too much effort into making him look like a villain.

The recent episodes were pretty strong overall, and I found them quite enjoyable, too.
Jan 8, 2019 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
Now this is the episode that proved me that Lady Oscar is one of a kind. Best girl; a real MVP. Rational and calculating.

While on the other hand, Lady Antoinette is seriously going on my nerves now.
She's selfish to core once she became the Queen. If it isn't for Oscar settling things down in her stead, who knows in what kind of mess Antoinette gonna fall into.
Gosh, how she never changed? She's still a 14yo brat stuck in adult woman body.

Oh! And the last scene was really triggering for me. That Duke is such a hypocrite cunt! I hate him!
RIP little boy. He was so cute and simply desperate to eat. :'(
Apr 19, 2019 3:24 PM

Jul 2017
Iconoclast said:
Oscar is a bit too wishy-washy for my liking. Half the time she's written as a cool headed and logical character, and the other half she's a completely irrational mess driven entirely be her emotions.

sounds like a character written by a woman
Jul 17, 2019 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
People like Antoinette and that Count are the reason why people rebel and revolution happen.. It is remind me again why the heck are politicians still have very high salary to this day, I guess we are still not very different from that era ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 10, 2020 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
Well pretty obvious how the common people are going to start a revolution in the future with the queen thinking she can do whatever she wants with the tax money and people like the duke being able to kill even kids on the street without anybody to stop or punish them.

Jan 1, 2021 11:05 PM

Mar 2020
Wow, I can see where this is going now. Antoinette doesn't want to do her job and just wants to have fun. She will keep spending money from taxes and the people will rebel. It really makes me wonder why they even let young people be kings and queens back then, it's obvious that they won't do their job.
It's really a sad story...

And also where was the king this whole episode lol?
Joe, Joe Forever....
Feb 1, 2021 12:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
And this is why the people ended chopping people's heads off. What a colossal prick.

Marie Antoinette always behaved like a child. Both her and Louis were way too immature for their jobs.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2021 12:44 AM

Nov 2018
Where the hell is the new king when France needs so much changes?
That girl is so immensely stupid and self-centered I start to dislike her even more than du Barry.The latter at least had logic behind her actions , this barbie princess is just straight up a moron.
Where did all her training and care for people come?I still remember Oscar thinking she would make for a good queen and it proves to be wrong more and more with each new episode...

France is about to collapse , new rulers care about people as much as a previous king. God bless Rosalie , the only kind and understanding character of this show.I wish she was a queen along with Andre while Oscar would be a prime minister or smth like that , but in reality lots of people are about to die when Jeanne makes her turn I guess.
I hate everyone equally
Mar 28, 2021 11:11 PM

Aug 2018
Antoinette is seriously acting selfish and stupid. and shes married ffs...

I want to fucking slaughter that duke for killing that kid, what an evil bastard.

Nov 13, 2021 2:45 AM

Feb 2020
Wait a second, I totally forgot about this Duke, apparently he knows Oscar so he must've been in previous episodes but I don't remember him at all... Well, one thing is sure, this guys is worse than both Du Barry and Jeanne. That's saying a lot.

Other than that, it seems that Oscar is starting to realize that Marie-Antoinette isn't the queen she thought she would be (and to think I actually agreed with Oscar at first, guess I forgot I was watching an historical show). I'm very curious to see what it will lead to, she wants so much to serve France and the idealized version of Marie-Antoinette she had in mind, but Marie-Antoinette is proving more and more to be much different from how she saw her, at times it might considerably clash with her morals (and we know how important morality is to her). Plus, so far she managed to remain collected despite everything that could happen but now she's losing her cool, considering her sense of moral and the short temper that she already displayed (initially only around André and her father), I wonder if this will get her in trouble at some point.
Also, I found Fersen's remark interesting, as well as Oscar's reaction to it. So far she is apparently completely fine with the life she's living but I have a feeling the internal conflict is luring, both regarding her morals and regarding the life she could've had yet never got (after all the latter has been hinted at in the first episode).

Finally, I just want to mention something regarding Marie-Antoinette and Louis XVI. People seem to flag them as awful rulers who totally deserve what we all know will happen to them, but I'll always believe that they didn't. Sure, they were far from being exemplary rulers, but they were also far from being the worst. They were simply not ready to rule and had to take care of a country already severely damaged by previous kings, and in the end they paid the price for everyone else. If anything, that's actually tragic.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention something I really wanted to talk about : I am not the biggest fan of the old-school voice acting, but the voice acting for the mother and Oscar when the kid got shot was amazing, I'm impressed (but for Oscar, even if it took me the entire first episode to get used to it, I've actually always loved the way her voice actress portrays her).
FafetteNov 13, 2021 2:52 AM
May 27, 2022 4:24 PM

Dec 2021
yep im glad other ppl saw Fersen put the moves on Oscar!!

Antoniette was somehow more bratty than usual this episode .. could it be the power of the Queen is going to her head?! Who woulda thought !!!
(obvious sarcasm)

Ima need Oscar to get on her Assassin's Creed stealth and start catching bodies ,, this the era when you can kill ppl and leave no trace ,, she needs to get with the program
Jul 16, 2022 8:23 AM

Apr 2016
Marie's part was basically

"Lady, you got a simple job to do!"

"screw it! I need my beau!"

Oscar getting a slap from reality of those that aren't rich was great, is hilarious she was all high on Marie as a future queen and now she's getting this feeling called la revolution.
Aug 31, 2022 12:32 PM
Apr 2022
bla bla bla bla bla bla ...
Jan 13, 2023 9:14 PM
Sep 2021
he plot is incredible, despite of course the fiction inserted within the historical context in which the anime takes place, as far as I went lot of emotion - the result of needs met with selfish, vulgar and frivolous actions, but confident thatoscar in this sagaa will have a good end... I expect
May 26, 2023 2:16 AM

Jan 2021
There were so many things that the Queen should have paid attention to but the only thing on her mind was Fersen. Even nice things like concerts and meetings with nobles were canceled in favor of meeting the love of her life, let alone taking care of injustice, cruelty and poverty in her country.

Oscar was wonderful and great as always but I hope she's not too soft on Marie.

Dec 1, 2023 3:22 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Safrichh
Marie's part was basically

"Lady, you got a simple job to do!"

"screw it! I need my beau!"

Oscar getting a slap from reality of those that aren't rich was great, is hilarious she was all high on Marie as a future queen and now she's getting this feeling called la revolution.
@Safrichh Because Oscar is a flawed character. Oscar values nobility and the birth of someone. That's why she had her mom work for Marie Antoinette. Because Marie was a true royal, while Du Barry was a commoner that slept her way to the top.

Though now she's starting to get out of that noble bubble, and realize that people who noble and royal birth, aren't so good.
Dec 1, 2023 3:27 AM

Apr 2017
Marie is once again proving an air head. Remember when people had sympathy for this character, because she was struggling to say hi to a lower class sex worker. I mean, did y'all really think she'd care for poor people, when we know that she looks down on them?

King Louis is a lazy king, but what else is new. He was a lazy husband, and lazy as the son of the king. Of course he wouldn't change, when he was appointed as king. Though tbh, I don't even feel angry at him. That's how irrelevant he is. I just feel nothing for this character.

Fersen is getting favors from the Queen, because she has affection for him. This is okay with Fersen, but it's bad with Madame Du Barry. I just want to point that double standard out.

Oscar is starting to get out of her noble bubble, and realize that people of noble birth don't always possess a noble heart.

The new evil duke, I refuse to care about his name, is a cartoonishly evil villain. I hope he isn't a major villain coming up. Please, let it be Jeanne (even if she is a cheap and inferior copy of Madame Du Berry).
Mar 31, 11:59 PM
Jul 2020
Oscar is finally seeing the dark side of nobility. The selfishness of Marie Antoinette and the ruthlessness of the Duke show why the French Revolution was ignited. I really hope Oscar stops bowing down to Marie and brings her to her senses. I also hope Oscar helps Rosalie.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.