Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 5, 2014 4:25 PM

Aug 2007
I'm surprised people have a problem with this dub. As much as I loved the show when I first watched it in Japanese, it's amazingly easier to follow and translates so well into English. Did you all forget how the Internet speaks in memes? Daru is genius with his leet speak and meme references. Michael J Tatum is always brilliant, and his Okabe is spot on in kookyness and flat out dick attitude at times. And Kurisu sounds even better when her voice has some confidence to back up when she goes into her tsundere bullshit.

Anyway, point is, the anime itself is amazing. So who cares whether one person likes sub/dub better?
Feb 6, 2014 8:13 PM
Mar 2010
Had to add a comment.

I watched the dub and sub side by side, alternating between the two (then playing the visual novel pretty much right after)

So I didn't get attached to a voice and then dislike the other voice when I saw it since I watched both at the same time.

Okarin - Okarin in the sub has the over the top and maniacal mad genius done quite a bit better than the dub, but the dub brings forth a level of intelligence the sub lacked which is a vital portion of his character that was cut from the VN to anime adaptation (they cut the entire time travel theory lecture with Kurisu)

Final verdict: Sub edges out the dub by a hair. But I enjoyed both quite a bit.

Mayuri - In the sub, Mayuri is super sweet, super kind, and they do a good job bringing that to the anime from the VN. The dub is a bit less of the super sweet or more almost valley girl. The tutturu was okay.

Final verdict: Sub was much better than the dub.

Daru - The sub made Daru sound like an idiot, a dumbass, and unable to be taken seriously by anyone. They made him sound way worse than in the VN. The dub actually gives Daru a believable voice that actually sounds normal.

Final verdict: No comparison, the dub was far superior in every way.

Kurisu - The sub Kurisu is pretty passive and her tsundere is kind of cute. The emotion didn't seem the same from the visual novel since a lot of her shining moments were cut (mostly just filler). The dub Kurisu is intelligent, and a bit abraisive. Much more witty.

Final verdict: I liked the dub more, as it suited her character more as a scientist.

The rest of the characters I liked pretty equally in both editions. But since Kurisu is my favorite character I think I liked watching the dub a bit more (That and I didn't have to listen to Daru's horrendous voice in the dub. That shit in unlistenable)
Feb 7, 2014 6:27 AM
Jun 2012
deathfire123 said:
since Kurisu is my favorite character

You, sir, are a man of refined taste.

-Arvis
Feb 20, 2014 3:05 AM

Jun 2013
You know what? The dub voices sound fine, and since I watch the first episode dubbed first, it'll be hard for me to get used to sub voices. So if you don't like the dub, don't watch it and go watch the sub instead.
Feb 20, 2014 3:10 AM

Sep 2010
It's done really well, actually.
Feb 20, 2014 3:42 AM

Dec 2012
Steins;Gate was one of my very first anime, when I was still unwilling to watched subbed ones, so I've watched in both sub and dub more than once.

Quite frankly, I think this show has one of the best dubs ever - not only in terms of matching the quality of the original but also adding to and enhancing it. The dub script is written incredibly well - especially some of the dialogue (particularly in the first half of the show) and the humour. Makise and Okabe, 2 of my favourite characters, I felt were more expressive in the dub (of course, M.J. Tatum is simply awesome). The only complaint, or rather improvement that I'd have suggested, would be Mayuri's VA - but in my experience, English dubs have never been great at expressing the 'cute girl' voice. To its credit though, SG remains one of the only anime in which that didn't irritate me to the point where I hated the character.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 27, 2014 6:48 PM
Mar 2013
I was reading an older thread when only episodes 1-4 were out dubbed there were so many people bitching, but now there's a decent number of people loving the dub just goes to show how anime fans are to quick to judge and giving most of us a bad name, I'm more of a dub guy

hell I love dubs so much that I watched 4kids dub of one piece till crocodile stabbed luffy then I check out the subbed version and saw all the blood and violence I was missing

(btw like the one piece funi dub better also just to piss off you subbies)

though my unbiased option would have to be the dubs better

in the sub Mayuri so sweet and annoyingly high pitched that I just wanna strangle her but she's less high pitched in the dub so she's less annoying

in the sub Okabe acted like a dumbass not really sounding smart at all considering he's a fucking scientist dub Okabe is crazy well being witty at the same time making my laugh far more then the sub and he sounds smart to so Okabe sounds much more in charter in the dub since he's also smart

Daru well dub most of you already know how stupid his voice sounds in sub he's a fat hacker but he still has a major role in the story and alot of funny jokes but his sub voice resembles Patrick star from spongebob the Dub I can take seriously and I got more of a laugh outta his jokes

Kurisu well both are pretty close but dub gains points for being in English so dub wins

no minor charters I hated and the cat maids annoying nyan every five fucking words is gone so I don't see a problem

anyone who bitches is either a dub hater a guy who got too attached to the Japanese voices or just doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about since everything fits much better in dub and the annoying parts of the charters are pretty much gone
Feb 28, 2014 6:40 AM
Jun 2012
^^^ So to sum up: Dub = relatable characters. Sub = insulting caricatures.

Sounds about right.

EDIT: well... the Sub Kurisu is pretty good, nothing "caricature" about that performance. But the others are definitely a bit.... "one note." Although Daru, Mayuri, and (horribly) Okabe seem to be the worst offenders in this case.

-Arvis
Mar 9, 2014 11:19 AM

Sep 2012
I prefer Kurisu's english voice, simply because it matches her personality so much better than "generic cutesy anime girl voice #18438". Heck, even Mayuri's is somewhat distinct instead of "generic cutesy anime girl voice #19339". It's just weird hearing them in Japanese in the movie after watching the series in eng dub.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Mar 12, 2014 11:59 PM
Dec 2013
Meh, it's ok.
Apr 18, 2014 5:22 PM

Oct 2013
The dub is good.

Apr 25, 2014 9:11 PM
Jun 2008
holy shit those dubs were terrible... that was beyond awful. Id rather watch subless japanese audio and have no idea whats going on than listen to that crap.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
May 27, 2014 6:32 AM

Sep 2013
Amazing, J. Michael Tatum is great as Okabe.
Jun 1, 2014 12:12 AM

Jan 2014
I'm 5 episodes into the dub so far. I don't see how anyone in their right mind can say and believe this is anywhere near bad. This may be the best dub I've heard yet. Fantastically written/adapted script, and every actor/actress is giving a natural performance. It all feels very genuine. Okabe's voice actor is especially great.

Yes, Mayuri is not as good as the sub, but I don't see how it can be possible for an English alternative of Mayuri to be as good as her sub alternative in general. Mayuri's dub VA is doing a fine job as it is.

EDIT: Just finished watching all 24 episodes dubbed. Easily the best dub I've ever heard.
zacrathedemon5Jun 6, 2014 1:25 PM
Jun 8, 2014 2:00 AM
Jun 2014
Honestly, great dub. Anyone who doesn't like it has good footing though it is VERY different from the sub. The dub is much less trop-y as any dub usually is. The voice acting is fantastic; however, it's a different take on the characters. The only character that is flat out better in the dub is Taru and the only flat out better sub voice actress is Moeka because she actually sounds kind of like a person in that one.
I loved JMT's take on Okabe, much MUCH more than the person who voiced it in japanese same with Chriiistina! Overall, they are very different interpretations and both are good but I loved the dub. Very very intense where I feel the sub is lacking (especially in the female VA)
Jun 8, 2014 6:00 AM
Mar 2013
Mchi said:
Honestly, great dub. Anyone who doesn't like it has good footing though it is VERY different from the sub. The dub is much less trop-y as any dub usually is. The voice acting is fantastic; however, it's a different take on the characters. The only character that is flat out better in the dub is Taru and the only flat out better sub voice actress is Moeka because she actually sounds kind of like a person in that one.
I loved JMT's take on Okabe, much MUCH more than the person who voiced it in japanese same with Chriiistina! Overall, they are very different interpretations and both are good but I loved the dub. Very very intense where I feel the sub is lacking (especially in the female VA)

I rewatched the whole of steins;gate, in dub this time. Damn good I must say. It was very americanized and it was done damn well. But I must disagree, I believe the sub was just as good, both doing better at some parts than the other leading to a complete equilibrium for me. For the emotional and romance parts, especially episode 22, the sub did better, but for overall dialogue in terms of story dub does better.
Sep 6, 2014 4:17 AM

Jan 2014
The dub is great. Better than the sub, Tatum fits Okabe much better, and the dialogue is actually much better.
Daru's voice is also weird in the sub. Sounds like a sexual predator.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 6, 2014 4:22 AM

Jan 2013
RedRoseFring said:
The dub is great. Better than the sub, Tatum fits Okabe much better, and the dialogue is actually much better.

Wouldnt say it's great - it's doable.
I honestly think 90% of the sub crew has the upperhand voice acting wise.

I'm not a dub hater (have seen 5 anime that I prefer dubbed) - allthough I do think most of the dub attempts fail miserably and just dont pull the same feelings in the series as subs do.
Sep 8, 2014 4:01 PM

Jan 2014
PrOxAnto said:
RedRoseFring said:

Wouldnt say it's great - it's doable.
I honestly think 90% of the sub crew has the upperhand voice acting wise.

I'm not a dub hater (have seen 5 anime that I prefer dubbed) - allthough I do think most of the dub attempts fail miserably and just dont pull the same feelings in the series as subs do.

The dialogue in the dub is much better. It is one of the few that completely relates to a Western audience with pop culture references.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Sep 8, 2014 4:23 PM

Sep 2011
RedRoseFring said:
The dialogue in the dub is much better. It is one of the few that completely relates to a Western audience with pop culture references.

Better for those who have no idea what they say in the actual japanese dialogue, to be more precise.
Don't get me wrong, the sub isn't the best way to give back what the original dialogue was like, but they are still better if you actually want to know what they originally said, how it was originally meant to be, and not just "Oh Okabe should say this because translating the japanese sounds wierd. We should just go ahead and rewrite the whole dialogue"...
I want to see pop culture references meant for japanese people, not westernized dialogues...

It hurts me to see how much they change what they say :(

And unfortunately, it's true that most dubs can't give back the feelings of the original voice acting. I only know of 4 exceptions where I either found the dub to be better than the japanese one, or on par with it.
S;G is still one of the better dubs though, that's for sure :)
Sep 8, 2014 9:01 PM

Jan 2014
RazielZero said:

I want to see pop culture references meant for japanese people, not westernized dialogues...

I believe that is categorized as being a "weaboo." I prefer references that I can understand.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Sep 8, 2014 9:02 PM

Jun 2014
My nigga Okabe just isnt the same in dub
Sep 9, 2014 2:24 AM

Sep 2011
RedRoseFring said:
RazielZero said:

I believe that is categorized as being a "weaboo." I prefer references that I can understand.

Not really, I just want to watch the anime as it was conceived, as it was meant to be. And it's not a problem if you can understand the references that are meant for japanese people :D
Also, I feel like I don't want this to be "tainted" with the current western memes and such :/
Sep 10, 2014 9:11 PM

May 2014
Qans said:
My nigga Okabe just isnt the same in dub
Course not. If you're not speaking English you just can't have the same level of snob.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Oct 12, 2014 3:03 AM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
RazielZero said:

Pretty much this. And it's what makes this dub shine, in my opinion.

Like the part in episode 9 where Kurisu asks if Okabe could be 'more of a Wesley'. Perfect.
Oct 12, 2014 6:57 AM
Mar 2010
RazielZero said:
RedRoseFring said:

Not really, I just want to watch the anime as it was conceived, as it was meant to be. And it's not a problem if you can understand the references that are meant for japanese people :D
Also, I feel like I don't want this to be "tainted" with the current western memes and such :/

i would have to agree here, If i want to see western cultural references I'll watch WESTERN animation, i watch anime for the Japanese/Asian culture references, maybe watch enough and you'll learn a bit.. which is why i often like subs that put notes in to explain cultural references rather than westernize them).

but to each their own i guess.
Oct 12, 2014 7:26 AM

Nov 2010
RedRoseFring said:
RazielZero said:

No that isn't.
Oct 13, 2014 4:40 AM

Jun 2014
Since people are going so much offtopic I'll go ahead:

Did you know a new manga is being written and gonna be published in January 16 2015 about 6years after steins gate events? Sequel it seems, possibly a sequel of the anime too in 2-3 years!
Oct 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
sumusiko said:

Did you know a new manga is being written and gonna be published in January 16 2015 about 6years after steins gate events? Sequel it seems, possibly a sequel of the anime too in 2-3 years!

People are still talking about the dub, there is nothing offtopic in that :/

Yes, there has been like 3 threads already about it. And it's going to be a light novel not a manga :)
Oct 13, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2014
RazielZero said:
sumusiko said:

People are still talking about the dub, there is nothing offtopic in that :/

Yes, there has been like 3 threads already about it. And it's going to be a light novel not a manga :)

How come I can't find the threads =O

Anyways, people are talking about cultures and weaboos I'd say it's pretty offtopic
Oct 13, 2014 11:00 AM

Sep 2011
sumusiko said:

How come I can't find the threads =O

Anyways, people are talking about cultures and weaboos I'd say it's pretty offtopic

They are on the 2nd and 3rd page :P
Well they are (and I was) talking about how the dub changes the japanese to western references and why it's bad or not, so it's still not offtopic, I think :D
Oct 16, 2014 7:49 AM
Jun 2012
Digitalcommunist said:
RedRoseFring said:

Pretty much this. And it's what makes this dub shine, in my opinion.

Like the part in episode 9 where Kurisu asks if Okabe could be 'more of a Wesley'. Perfect.

Yeah, that was one of my favorite moments in the whole series. I was like "Hey, I'm in on the joke! In an anime! This must be what it feels like to be Japanese!" :P

I exaggerate, but I really did love that moment. And it made me fall for Kurisu even more.

-Arvis
Oct 23, 2014 7:59 AM

Apr 2009
sub > dub
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2014 11:25 AM
Jun 2012
ezaya said:
sub > dub

dub > sub
Oct 24, 2014 6:44 PM

May 2014
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
ezaya said:
sub > dub

dub > sub

It's begun. Again.
- Anonymous
Oct 25, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2014
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
ezaya said:
sub > dub

dub > sub

dub=sub

checkmate
Oct 27, 2014 10:53 AM
Jun 2012
Digitalcommunist said:
Arvis_Jaggamar said:

dub > sub

dub=sub

checkmate

OH SNAP! O___O
Jul 15, 2015 2:03 PM

Dec 2009
It took a half dozen failed attempts before I got into this series. Then I recalled a review (by Arkada @Glass Reflections, most likely) that highly recommended the dubbed version. I don't watch dubs, but I figured that, at this point, what the hell...

I'd say I'm hooked, as well as humbled. A more than decent dubbed anime??? Damn skippy! What next...unicorns?

It's the humor, hands down; primarily of Okabe & his friend Daru. Okabe, in particular, is a funny mf.
Jul 16, 2015 2:40 AM

Mar 2014
Tsulaa said:
It took a half dozen failed attempts before I got into this series. Then I recalled a review (by Arkada @Glass Reflections, most likely) that highly recommended the dubbed version. I don't watch dubs, but I figured that, at this point, what the hell...
Impossible

Arkada reviewed the anime before the dub was out and it was the sub that he highly recommended
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 16, 2015 8:08 AM
Jul 2015
Saw a clip of the dub on Funimation's youtube channel. I don't understand how they could've ruined it so terribly, but I guess the original voice actors had some lofty standards to begin with.
Jul 16, 2015 12:29 PM

Dec 2009
Comic_Sans said:
Tsulaa said:
...I recalled a review (by Arkada @Glass Reflections, most likely) that highly recommended the dubbed version...
Impossible

Arkada reviewed the anime before the dub was out and it was the sub that he highly recommended

Really? Huh. I don't usually watch/read more than a couple of review sites. Well, I did for this series since I was having such a time getting into it. Anyway, thanks for setting things straight!
Jul 16, 2015 5:14 PM

May 2014
PolarKoala said:
Saw a clip of the dub on Funimation's youtube channel. I don't understand how they could've ruined it so terribly, but I guess the original voice actors had some lofty standards to begin with.
I really don't know what people's definition of good acting is when they say the dub of Steins;Gate ruins the show. I literally do not understand what the problem is. Somebody explain, it's baffling to me. Because as far as I can tell, Steins;Gate has one of the best dubs EVER.
- Anonymous
Jul 16, 2015 5:19 PM

Jan 2015
Sub > Dub. English is not my native language so there's no reason for me to watch the dub version. And the voice acting is awesome in the Sub.
Jul 16, 2015 6:03 PM

May 2014
Trazilibo said:
English is not my native language so there's no reason for me to watch the dub version. And the voice acting is awesome in the Sub.
This is perfectly true. No sense in watching a show that isn't in your native language in another language which also isn't your native language. However, that doesn't qualify this statement:

Sub > Dub.
- Anonymous
Jul 20, 2015 2:50 AM
May 2015
gillbobjones said:
Steins gate now has an english dub. What are your thought/opinions? I know i won't be rewatching it in dubbed anytime soon thats for sure:P Overall the dubs not the worst i have heard but it is certainly not the best.
the only voice i have a problem with is mayuri she sounds to young other then that all the voice are really good
Jan 23, 2016 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
RazielZero said:
RedRoseFring said:

Better for those who have no idea what they say in the actual japanese dialogue, to be more precise.
Don't get me wrong, the sub isn't the best way to give back what the original dialogue was like, but they are still better if you actually want to know what they originally said, how it was originally meant to be, and not just "Oh Okabe should say this because translating the japanese sounds wierd. We should just go ahead and rewrite the whole dialogue"...

It hurts me to see how much they change what they say :(

And unfortunately, it's true that most dubs can't give back the feelings of the original voice acting. I only know of 4 exceptions where I either found the dub to be better than the japanese one, or on par with it.
S;G is still one of the better dubs though, that's for sure :)

I can't agree more. This is really horrible. I hate any changes in script. Especially every simplifications, americanisation and localisations.
So this + much worse VAs = always a shit, end of topic.
This is a reason that I'm searching for direct translations too (since I can't watch RAWs yet, but maybe in next year my japanese will be on sufficient level...).
PS I see that haters of "dubs haters" in 90% are American people . And how to break stereotypes in this case (about stupidity of most of USA nation), if they can't understand simple things like culture references or using honorifics. It's sad. And fansub scene is dead because of USA.

RedRoseFring said:
RazielZero said:

Then watch shows from your country. I hate any localisations, not only in anime, so how you call me?

hoppurr said:
RazielZero said:

i would have to agree here, If i want to see western cultural references I'll watch WESTERN animation, i watch anime for the Japanese/Asian culture references, maybe watch enough and you'll learn a bit.. which is why i often like subs that put notes in to explain cultural references rather than westernize them).

but to each their own i guess.

Nice to see some people that understand how it (should) works.

TheFilthyCasual said:
Trazilibo said:
English is not my native language so there's no reason for me to watch the dub version. And the voice acting is awesome in the Sub.
This is perfectly true. No sense in watching a show that isn't in your native language in another language which also isn't your native language. However, that doesn't qualify this statement:

Sub > Dub.

No, actually I can say objectively that eng DUBS (and dubs in general) are far worse than original voice acting. Precisely because my primary language is not english. But it's not only about voice acting, translations for dubs are just terrible, as I (and few other users) said above.
rsc-plJan 23, 2016 12:13 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 23, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2014
rsc-pl said:

RedRoseFring said:

Then watch shows from your country. I hate any localisations, not only in anime, so how you call me?

I've seen snippets from both and the Western references make it better because it is more relatable.
Just because it is Japanese in origin doesn't mean that when it is dubbed it must be strictly so. A perfectly good transition into a comedic reference that English speakers can get without ruining the immersion of the show only serves to enhance it.

The dub was made for English speakers so it makes no sense to deny an insertion that serves that purpose better. It doesn't make sense to tell an English speaker to not watch something made for them.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.