Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2012 7:52 PM

Dec 2011
It was a pretty good episode, loved the long hug. Kirito and Asuna are getting closer and closer :x
can't wait for the next episode -_-
Sep 1, 2012 7:56 PM

Apr 2012
Uberchu said:
Meh fight scene. I want a fight scene on the level of Kirtsugu vs Kirei.

That scene was pretty horribly done TBH. Hence the rage in episode 24 discussions.

edwd2 said:
BloodRequiem said:
ThanatosPersona said:
Pretty epic episode. Didn't expect the dual blade animation would be that awesome. Asuna x Kirito moment!! :) Lisbeth also comes back so it's pretty good. Considering the amount of episodes left and the fast progression, I honestly think SAO would end with the finish of ALO. The next episode most likely would end with Kirito and Asuna

What's ALO?

ALO = volume 3 and 4, its another VRMMORPG

Wait..so there's another game after they get out of SAO?
BloodRequiemSep 1, 2012 8:00 PM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Sep 1, 2012 7:59 PM

Jul 2011
gundamwarcraft said:
i thought that Asuna pick the sauce from the bottle with finger and Kirito lick it?

i wanted to see that too but i can imagine tons of haters and nitpickers going on about it
Sep 1, 2012 7:59 PM
Aug 2012
It looks like the silent majority has spoken on the polls...
Sep 1, 2012 8:00 PM

Jun 2012
BloodRequiem said:
That scene was pretty horribly done TBH. Hence the rage in episode 24 discussions.

As an anime only watcher, I found it awesome. Once I read the light novel, though, I could see their point. Fate/Zero anime didn't show nearly what Kiritsugu went through using Triple and Square Accel. In the novel he was bleeding through every orifice.

Oh well, I haven't watched an awesome fight scene in a long time. I guess...Hei vs Wei (Darker than Black)?
Sep 1, 2012 8:01 PM

Apr 2012
Uberchu said:
BloodRequiem said:

As an anime only watcher, I found it awesome. Once I read the light novel, though, I could see their point. Fate/Zero anime didn't show nearly what Kiritsugu went through using Triple and Square Accel. In the novel he was bleeding through every orifice.

Oh well, I haven't watched an awesome fight scene in a long time. I guess...Hei vs Wei (Darker than Black)?

Yeh that one was good. Every motion was fluid and to the point.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Sep 1, 2012 8:03 PM

Sep 2012
Uberchu said:

Hei vs Wei and Hei vs Mina Hazuki was epic. If you want good fight scenes, try Cowboy Bebop.
DELiTOSep 1, 2012 8:08 PM
Sep 1, 2012 8:06 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
That makes a question pop-up. Is Kirito a Gary Stu or not? I don't really know myself what can make a character one of those though.

No, if so, then there wouldn't be situations where he would be powerless to do anything, such as when Sachi and co. died in front of his eyes. Neither was he able to dispatch the Laughing Coffin on his own without the threat of outside help. If the author wanted him to be a Gary Stu, it would've made a lot more sense for him to destroy all the mobs in one run and beat each of the Laugh Coffin officers, for instance.

Just this episode shows he has his limits. It wasn't as if he handled the level 74 boss solo without anyone else to help, as many seem to believe. Asuna and Klein had done some damage, and so had the Army. Kirito's hp was at a bare minimum at the end of that fight. What does that say? He could have died fighting the boss alone, even with duel-wield in play.

Yes, he's special in a lot of regards. But as I argued before, there'd be no point to tell a story of someone who's entirely common. He's human, and his flaws will become more apparent. Someone isn't just Gary Stu by winning all the fights. In the case of SAO, what's the author going to do? Kill Kirito with the level 74 boss? All in all, I don't think Kirito is that unrealistic of a character.

BloodRequiem said:

Wait..so there's another game after they get out of SAO?

Don't spoil yourself further. I'm surprised someone answered the previous question without spoiler tags.
Sep 1, 2012 8:11 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Uberchu said:
BloodRequiem said:

you mean round 1 or round 2? well they were both awesome tbh

but i think my favourite battle scene was ginjo vs ichigo (bleach finale) the motion and music was awesome
Sep 1, 2012 8:13 PM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:
Uberchu said:
BloodRequiem said:

you mean round 1 or round 2? well they were both awesome tbh

but i think my favourite battle scene was ginjo vs ichigo (bleach finale) the motion and music was awesome

Round 1 of course. Hei's trick was ingenious.
Sep 1, 2012 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
tezann_t said:

No, if so, then there wouldn't be situations where he would be powerless to do anything, such as when Sachi and co. died in front of his eyes. Neither was he able to dispatch the Laughing Coffin on his own without the threat of outside help. If the author wanted him to be a Gary Stu, it would've made a lot more sense for him to destroy all the mobs in one run and beat each of the Laugh Coffin officers, for instance.

Just this episode shows he has his limits. It wasn't as if he handled the level 74 boss solo without anyone else to help, as many seem to believe. Asuna and Klein had done some damage, and so had the Army. Kirito's hp was at a bare minimum at the end of that fight. What does that say? He could have died fighting the boss alone, even with duel-wield in play.

Yes, he's special in a lot of regards. But as I argued before, there'd be no point to tell a story of someone who's entirely common. He's human, and his flaws will become more apparent. Someone isn't just Gary Stu by winning all the fights. In the case of SAO, what's the author going to do? Kill Kirito with the level 74 boss? All in all, I don't think Kirito is that unrealistic of a character.

Thanks for the insight. As I said before, I don't really have a idea what make a Gary Stu or not, so it was kinda difficult to me to make any conclusion alone.
Sep 1, 2012 8:14 PM

Nov 2009
Uberchu said:
BloodRequiem said:

Did you miss out fullmetal brotherhood :P ? What IF bones took this adaption instead of A-1? the char design wasn't bad in DTB, you know, Yin and Hei looked awesome together ...
Sep 1, 2012 8:20 PM

Jun 2010
gundamwarcraft said:
i thought that Asuna pick the sauce from the bottle with finger and Kirito lick it?

I thought the same thing. Since we read the LN.

Great scenes, love the fact that i finished Novel 1 (and reading 2 and on Chapter 3 with Yui) a week ago.
Sep 1, 2012 8:23 PM

Sep 2008
Niyawa said:
That makes a question pop-up. Is Kirito a Gary Stu or not? I don't really know myself what can make a character one of those though.

this is from personal opinion, but after reading the few volumes of SAO, I believe Kirito is a GS as his personality is just way out of a chara for someone who is 'spose to be an mmorpg player....

Sep 1, 2012 8:26 PM
May 2012
Niyawa said:
DELiTO said:
I've been reading these forums for so long I developed a new skill, as rare as dual wield. I can avoid spoilers even out of the spoiler boxes, it's like my eyes read it but my brain skip the understanding part and makes me scroll down. All in a fraction of second. - it's freaking weird but works every time. - Cool story bro.

My skill is different, I actually don't get affected by spoilers (probably because of /a/). As long it's a show that I'm watching, it doesn't matter what you tell me, the excitement and enjoyment will still be there for me.

Wow, i am the same. no matter how many times i get spoiled it still feels new when i watch the animation.
Sep 1, 2012 8:28 PM

Jul 2011
tezann_t said:
Niyawa said:

Sep 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Feb 2008
nothing like a near death experience to bring a girl and a boy together.......
Sep 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Mar 2011
Love the episode
better than I expected

Sep 1, 2012 8:31 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:

man, that was badass, especially hei's one liner at the end

Hei: *husky voice* i was always the fastest
Sep 1, 2012 8:31 PM

Nov 2009
Scrypt said:
Niyawa said:

this is from personal opinion, but after reading the few volumes of SAO, I believe Kirito is a GS as his personality is just way out of a chara for someone who is 'spose to be an mmorpg player....

Although he has been through some hard ships but in the end, things were too much convenient for him, stumble upon a girl, fighting all da stuff and in the end, save the day, it is only Sachi part that wouldn't make him a real GS.

kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

took you that long to rewatch and remember the line? It came out of my mind right away, and in some translation, he said :" I am, by far, the fastest" which made him a lot more badass.
Takana_no_HanaSep 1, 2012 8:35 PM
Sep 1, 2012 8:34 PM

Oct 2011
Best episode of the series so far IMO. Dual Blades was animated well, and the soundtrack used in the battle scene was phenomenal. Also, I like that added scene with Liz; she wasn't there in the novel.

Sep 1, 2012 8:42 PM
May 2012
Finally some adrenaline actions!The previous episodes lacked impact.
Kirito was cool but lame what a show off.He is dying and still thinking of saving his trumph card.
Ooh! well sao is finally gained some of my affection point.my ratings has gone up from 6 to 8 yet.
Sep 1, 2012 8:46 PM

Jul 2011
Vforvendetta said:
Scrypt said:
Niyawa said:

Although he has been through some hard ships but in the end, things were too much convenient for him, stumble upon a girl, fighting all da stuff and in the end, save the day, it is only Sachi part that wouldn't make him a real GS.

kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

took you that long to rewatch and remember the line? It came out of my mind right away, and in some translation, he said :" I am, by far, the fastest" which made him a lot more badass.

i don't see how he is out of character for an mmo player, unless ofcourse you were expecting a fat round protagonist with no self confidence *cough* haruyuki *cough*

i find his character quite natural for an mmo player, he knows all the stuff he should know

also he doesn't display all the specific qualities that a gary stu needs to be a gary stu, convenience doesn't really matter in an anime/story tbh its just the way things work for it have a plot

also its been a years since i watched that ep, you can't expect me to remember his specific lines when im not a true DTB fan like you *looks at your avatar*
Sep 1, 2012 8:51 PM

May 2010
This thread is Madness
Sep 1, 2012 8:52 PM

Feb 2012
Hydnlife said:
This thread is Madness

All SAO threads have turned into this madness.
Sep 1, 2012 8:56 PM
Apr 2011
Scrypt said:
Niyawa said:

Without going into the nature of his flaws, he does have flaws. If you recall the small small story.... from VN but I won't go into enough detail for it to be considered ruinous even in that regard

I can't really discuss much without revealing stuff that hasn't happened in the anime, since the anime entirely takes place in SAO. My spoiler is more a courtesy for those that are ultra sensitive. Rather be too careful than careless.
MandarniSep 1, 2012 9:06 PM
Sep 1, 2012 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
"Faster, faster, faster, I need to go faster!"

Sounds like another protagonist...

Picture stitches

Kirito dual wielding

KOB
Sep 1, 2012 9:02 PM

Aug 2012
MidnightPride said:
Hydnlife said:
This thread is Madness

Couldn't agree more.
Sep 1, 2012 9:05 PM
Feb 2009
omgggggg Loved Kirito x Asuna @@@@@@@ sheti cant wait for the next couple eps where sht actually happens between them :P
Sep 1, 2012 9:08 PM

Mar 2012
Vforvendetta said:
Scrypt said:

I'm not really sure what Scrypt means by being out of character as a MMORPG player. Is there a specific stereotype of MMORPG players?

Things are convenient for him in a way. He was one of the 1,000 beta testers and he obsessed over it so he knows a lot more than the regular players. He by chance acquired the dual-wield skill. And of course, he bumps into girls who are all above average looking in a MMO that features overwhelmingly guys. In the self-insertion-wish-fulfillment category, there's an argument to be made that he's a Gary Stu so I can see where you're coming from. In that sense though, almost every main character we see are Gary Stus. [Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) randomly gained a commanding power over anyone. Oreki Hotarou (Hyouka) has an uncanny ability to solve every mystery he comes across. Age (Heroic Age) by the virtue of his birth is one of the 5 most powerful beings in the universe. The list goes on and I don't see the Gary Stu stuff for those series.]

But being a Gary Stu also means you have to be essentially perfect as a person. Kirito notably suffers from at least one major personality flaw that probably defines him more than any other one thing. If you haven't noticed from the numerous flashbacks, he's awfully insecure about himself the way the anime portrays him. Not to get all literary critic or anything, it's just that he really is far from the perfect image that HAS to define anyone who's a Gary Stu. I don't plan to convince everyone. As the anime progresses I know there'll be less of that "he's such a Gary Stu" commentary.
Sep 1, 2012 9:10 PM

Jul 2011
i prefer the madness than the usual boring calm tbh
Sep 1, 2012 9:18 PM

Jan 2011
maccha said:
MidnightPride said:
Hydnlife said:
This thread is Madness

Couldn't agree more.

Nothing wrong with it right?
Sep 1, 2012 9:18 PM

Nov 2007
Seemed badass to me when he owned that boss. I'd like to see a less generic boss though. I'm surprised there are still so many idiots left after 2 years. Why would they just charge in? Why does this stupid Guild act so pushy?

Was cool to see Klein again though.
Sep 1, 2012 9:19 PM

May 2011
This episode was fucking awesome and goddamn Kirito was a monster in that scene. He fucking shitted all over that boss and wiped the floor with it. That way he just recklessly fought with his dual blade skills was great. And wow at the amount of lp he had left afterwards.

Dat long Asuna hug and the way she showed her worries was nice to watch. And that lunch scene was nice too, lol things would've been so cute if either of them mentioned something about making lunch only for Kirito.
Sep 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Jul 2012
People who voted 2 and under... I question your taste in anime.
Sep 1, 2012 9:24 PM

Apr 2012
Wow this thread took off fast! Hell the guy above me already has a gif.
Sep 1, 2012 9:26 PM

Jun 2012
One of the better episodes though the boss fight was short it was awesome. Another duel next episode sounds fun.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Sep 1, 2012 9:27 PM

Jul 2012
grungust said:
Where are you guys watching it? It's not on crunchyroll and is apparently delayed?

I really wonder why some people ONLY stick to CrunchyRoll, and doesn't know about other websites. it's not like they're the only website in the world that has anime videos online.
Sep 1, 2012 9:30 PM

Aug 2012
I love how they actually animated the whole fight instead of using crappy Pokemon cut and past attacks
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Nintendo_Forum/index/
Come check out the new Nintendo Forum. The first 10 members to join AND keep a good activity level ( at least 50 posts) will get a founding member status on the Forum. Great for showing off to new members!
Sep 1, 2012 9:34 PM
Feb 2012
SAO seems to be picking up ever since those first few side stories, starting to like it a lot more now.

Also liking the KiritoxAsuna that is going on and how their relationship is developing.
Sep 1, 2012 9:35 PM

Dec 2009
Paul said:
Well, made a gif for the fight... 10 MBs... wonder if it'll make anyone lag.

c-c-c-combo breaker!
Sep 1, 2012 9:36 PM

Jan 2011
DivisionG said:
grungust said:
Where are you guys watching it? It's not on crunchyroll and is apparently delayed?

I really wonder why some people ONLY stick to CrunchyRoll, and doesn't know about other websites. it's not like they're the only website in the world that has anime videos online.

>Online
You streaming?
Sep 1, 2012 9:37 PM

Jun 2012
Finally a longer fight than normal, a boss fight. I really enjoyed this episode as always. I really like the Kirito and Asuna relationship that is obviously developing. Of course, I am looking forward to the duel, and actually will have a hard time waiting a week for another episode, which is extremely rare for me. Anyway, 5/5, although the boss fight was still not as epic, since obviously the dual blades just owned the boss.

Sep 1, 2012 9:38 PM
Aug 2012
If you want to watch this early, it rhymes with abhorrent...
Sep 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Jun 2012
DivisionG said:
People who voted 2 and under... I question your taste in anime.

Stop having different opinions than I do!
Sep 1, 2012 9:47 PM

Jun 2009
Well at least Kirito and Asuna got some development, I am happy with that.
Sep 1, 2012 9:57 PM

Nov 2008
Not bad adaption wise and a very enjoyable view - Now unto the next with the uh 'commander'
Sep 1, 2012 10:01 PM

Jun 2012
Kirito is a boss :D loved this episode. i wonder how that duel is gonna go. :O kirito will prolly win and asuna is so cute :3
Sep 1, 2012 10:01 PM

Sep 2008
tezann_t said:

I'm not really sure what Scrypt means by being out of character as a MMORPG player. Is there a specific stereotype of MMORPG players?

Things are convenient for him in a way. He was one of the 1,000 beta testers and he obsessed over it so he knows a lot more than the regular players. He by chance acquired the dual-wield skill. And of course, he bumps into girls who are all above average looking in a MMO that features overwhelmingly guys. In the self-insertion-wish-fulfillment category, there's an argument to be made that he's a Gary Stu so I can see where you're coming from. In that sense though, almost every main character we see are Gary Stus. [Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) randomly gained a commanding power over anyone. Oreki Hotarou (Hyouka) has an uncanny ability to solve every mystery he comes across. Age (Heroic Age) by the virtue of his birth is one of the 5 most powerful beings in the universe. The list goes on and I don't see the Gary Stu stuff for those series.]

But being a Gary Stu also means you have to be essentially perfect as a person. Kirito notably suffers from at least one major personality flaw that probably defines him more than any other one thing. If you haven't noticed from the numerous flashbacks, he's awfully insecure about himself the way the anime portrays him. Not to get all literary critic or anything, it's just that he really is far from the perfect image that HAS to define anyone who's a Gary Stu. I don't plan to convince everyone. As the anime progresses I know there'll be less of that "he's such a Gary Stu" commentary.

You don't have to be perfect to be a STU, if we count all the flaws Kirito has it would be tl;dr(one main point him being a NEET at the start of SAO), what I'm implying is that you can really see how much the author factorizes Kirito throughout the volumes to a point of favoritism. As for him being a Gary Stu(also known as Marty), this should enlighten you...
Sep 1, 2012 10:02 PM

Nov 2009
kamikaze_1996 said:

Lol dude, have you watched the newest AW episode or read its light novel (same SAO author), if you haven't, don't speak like you already known.

Haruyuki has his self-confidence and he isn't a useless jerk like Shoe. There are many reasons why the AW novel is still going on parallel with SAO. They were written by the same author, the one who created your super-cool-kirito-figure, so have a little respect for Haruyuki, I tend to like Haruyuki more because his characteristic and situation seem to be more realistic.

P/s: oh btw, it's been 3 years since the last time I watched DTB, it's just that any anime which had a great impression on my mind likely last longer than the other.
Takana_no_HanaSep 1, 2012 10:18 PM
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Yesterday, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.