Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2012 3:32 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nicely wrapping up the ep.

ED: "feel you" by Rina Sumioka (住岡梨奈)
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 28, 2012 6:47 AM
Oct 2010
This is so bad it's comical, I mean the fight with shi shio is just LMAO!
Sep 5, 2012 3:58 PM
Jul 2011
Subs when?
Sep 7, 2012 5:14 AM

Sep 2007
Eh, worse than the first episode (which I liked), but still reasonably entertaining. 7/10
Sep 9, 2012 10:37 AM

Jun 2010
Once again, the Hiko scene was the only good thing about it. And those muscles were amazing.

Nevertheless, it was a good comedy.
Sep 17, 2012 10:21 PM

Feb 2009
Has this been subbed yet or have you guys all watched it raw?
Sep 23, 2012 8:26 AM

Mar 2011
Not very good ep but animation and ost is good.Hiko scene was the best.Shishio head splitting was brutal.
Oct 11, 2012 7:36 PM

Mar 2011
Poor Shishio and episode (maybe I'm alone liking this OVA). Oh my, Kenshin is so indestructible...
Oct 23, 2012 6:46 PM

Feb 2012
Been looking for subs... First episode was subbed but, can't find the second any assistance?
Nov 30, 2012 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
wow...it was actually worse than the first ep

lol what was with the aoshi fight?
he hits him on the head and thats the end?

and the shishio fight wasnt climactic at all
it didnt even seem like it was a big deal.
both the episodes were just really awkward and actually kinda boring.
the only good things were the animation (mostly the backgrounds) and the music

so dissapointing. why did they even bother making it?
5/10
Dec 19, 2012 5:50 PM

Aug 2012
So the second episode isn't subbed yet. Anyone found it subbed anywhere? even if it isn't in english, french/italian/spanish/portuguese any of those would be good enough for me >.>
Dec 29, 2012 8:08 PM

Jul 2011
Wing Zero released subs in spanish in case anyone is interested.
Mostly ridiculous episode. I laughed so hard when Shishio had his head splitted and then tried to join it.
Can´t say I hated it, but...still a shame. Either needed more episodes to properly develop and wrap everything or just not label it as part of RuroKen franchise.
4/10
Karura_JiinsaruDec 29, 2012 8:12 PM
Jan 4, 2013 7:38 PM

Aug 2012
Karura_Jiinsaru said:
Wing Zero released subs in spanish in case anyone is interested.
Mostly ridiculous episode. I laughed so hard when Shishio had his head splitted and then tried to join it.
Can´t say I hated it, but...still a shame. Either needed more episodes to properly develop and wrap everything or just not label it as part of RuroKen franchise.
4/10

Glad to know... ill check youtube, perhaps some1 posted it up with spanish subs.
Jan 6, 2013 1:19 AM

Apr 2009
really? 5 second battles? i can't believe this second episode was so horrible, we went from this:

to 2 seconds of flashing lights...
Jan 11, 2013 1:52 PM

Aug 2012
still didn't manage to find this with subs lol

ok, managed to find it finally, spanish subs. WAY better than i was expecting, quite a few scenes that i really liked, but still...overall these OVAs were below a ''fine'' level. Honestly i enjoyed the different parts (compared with the anime) like Saito fighting shishio, but theres so many flaws.
pokecenterJan 11, 2013 3:10 PM
Jan 14, 2013 3:54 PM

Oct 2011
Take back what i said... this was utter rubbish (especially part 2) smh.. make this up 2 me with a full kenshin reboot... nuff said
Jan 18, 2013 9:36 PM
Oct 2010
this ep was really anticlimatic
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 21, 2013 10:17 PM

Jan 2009
i still enjoyed it, their are enough action scenes that made me say awesome and the story is fast pace very good refresher of what happened on the TV series

this OVA is meant to be a refresher
Jan 22, 2013 9:44 PM

Mar 2008
Having just watched the second episode, if I didn't watch Kenshin in previous years and read the manga, and was watching this as a stand alone 2 OVA series, I probably would have rated it a 7. But the fact I know this is an attempt at retelling the Shishio arc it is absolutely terrible.

There are so many scenes that had no reason or were just thrown in for shits and giggles. I'm not sure where the ideas for these random scenes even came from. Ultimately had this been an exact retelling with updated animations, maybe a few alterations in conversations or some more thorough scenes, this could have been really good.

It totally fails as an adaptation though.
Feb 22, 2013 11:35 AM
Aug 2010
When I heard that they made another OVA, I got so excited. Especially since it would focus on my favorite arc of the series.

Maybe I went in with my expectations set too high, but I hated this OVA. I don't even know why I bothered to finish it. It was just terrible. Everything was incredibly rushed. Kenshin didn't really seem himself (i.e. his fight with broom head seemed too harsh for him at that stage in his life). And the fights were way too short. One of the biggest appeals to this series is the awesome sword fights. But we didn't really get that. They lasted mere seconds.

The only decent thing about it would be the art. Everything else was terrible.
Feb 23, 2013 7:50 PM

Jan 2010
Two words sums up this OVA: totally unnecessary
Feb 23, 2013 8:14 PM

Feb 2013
i liked the ova. but i'm one of those people that'll love anything if it's got kenshin in it, so...

but i saw it as a refresher for old fans of the series. i don't think it was meant to draw in a new audience, but to rekindle the fire of the audience that grew up with the series. it was fast-paced, but for this one it was kind of a nice little addition to the series for the fans.
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives Anonymous: and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives tripfags. Visit either you like: they're both weeaboos."
"But I don't want to go among weeaboos," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all weeaboo here. I'm weeaboo. You're weeaboo."
"How do you know I'm weeaboo?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Feb 27, 2013 7:11 AM

Dec 2008
WTF IS THIS SHIT?

ChrnoToddFeb 27, 2013 7:16 AM
Mar 10, 2013 1:41 PM
Dec 2010
That Shishio fight and the head splitting was so incredibly stupid.
Mar 23, 2013 5:05 AM

Oct 2010
First one was ok, but the second one was just terrible
huh?
May 1, 2013 2:30 PM
Jul 2011
biggest disappointment ever
May 6, 2013 10:44 AM
Feb 2010
I think only people who have read the manga or seen the TV series can make heads or tales of this two part OVA, which may have not been a bad idea to make it one movie since the full run-time is 90 minutes. It was "okay" as only action movie, since the source material cannot possibly be told well AT ALL in just 90 minutes.

I was impressed at how drastic the final battle was changed from the series, from just storming a compound, to Shissiou having a battleship. Also, liked the fights/(Spoiler)Shissiou's head getting split open from the butt of Kenshin's sword.
May 14, 2013 2:57 PM

Jan 2013
I will copy paste what I said in the first part:
The TV series are alot better than this, for the plain reason that you can understand everything. I will suggest watching this after episode 62 of the TV series.
One thing tough as animated compared to the TV series I can say this was alot nicer.
May 16, 2013 9:45 AM

May 2013
This was pretty bad. Kenshin splitting Shishio's head was stupid and out of character for Kenshin.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Sep 15, 2013 6:59 AM

Nov 2008
SOILED IT
Sep 28, 2013 10:16 AM

Feb 2008
They ruined the whole Kenshin vs Shishio fight. I liked the first part but the second one sucks. The only good thing about it was the new animation.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jan 2, 2014 9:48 PM
Jul 2011
Jumping from the original anime to this ova overall felt very rushed and anticlimatic. In the anime, the story developed so nicely meanwhile in this ova everything was rushed and poorly done in my opinion. Though at least the art was nice.
New to this...
Feb 10, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2014
So much hate here. I don't think this OVA is made to retell the story scene by scene, nor impress a new set of audience who haven't even watched the original series. These OVAs, in my opinion, are just there to give the fans another chance to see their beloved anime, that matches the current animation style. The battles might be half-assed because of a lot of missing elements, but the animations are greatly improved. I can say that the fight scene from Shishio and Saito was well made, compared to the animations from the original series. They couldn't compress all the scenes from the "Kyoto Arc" in just two episodes and I see that this is the best they can do. The scenes might be different from the original one, because who would watch this, if it was the same piece by piece. It will just feel redundant. Overall for an OVA, I think it isn't bad at all. I wanted to see Rurouni Kenshin in a new light, too, so I was impressed with the new animation style, like when I first saw a new style on Tsuiokuhen and Seisou-hen.

tl;dr - The OVA isn't bad :/
Jun 8, 2014 1:43 AM

Oct 2013
... this episode actually had a LOT of potential and might, MIGHT be good for someone who isn't at all familiar with the Rurouni Kenshin series. But for those of us that are, it's pretty much impossible not to draw comparisons. Sanosuke vs Anji was lacked any of its impact with their past history removed, pretty much ALL of the fights were extraordinarily anticlimactic when compared to the series version (Kenshin beating Aoshi by hitting him in the head <_<), etc.

I do think it's cool that Saitou actually put up a fight against Shishio. How easily Shishio beat Saitou was something that really irritated me in the RK series, and their fight here was pretty cool. That is pretty much the one positive.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 5, 2014 7:25 PM

Dec 2008
It was good to see Kenshin again. Both OVAS were ok, the animation was amazing but the fight scenes were cut too short.
Sep 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Jun 2014
There are actually a couple things about these OVAs I think were an improvement from the series:

--The thing I hated worst in the show's Kyoto arc was the part with the Purgatory, because it was so anticlimactic and ended with deus ex machina bombs, and Saitou was so dependent on Kenshin for the whole time. This changing it to where he got the information out of Chou instead of Kenshin having a flash of insight made me feel better about the plot, and (gasp! what a novel idea!) having the police attack the ship instead of leaving it up to our three intrepid heroes was far more satisfying to me. Now it felt like the Purgatory had a point instead of being a detour on the way to finagle them into the lair.

--I also really liked that it seemed to keep the show's music but have it at a more reasonable volume.

--I actually also liked Aoshi's return to the Aoiya, the bow of apology and then standing there awkwardly while Misao glomped him.

There are some things I think are different from yet equal to the series:

--- The Saitou vs Shishio fight was badass (It might be better except that I enjoyed the fact that Saitou was fighting wounded in the original)

---The fact that it isn't everyone following around Kenshin as their fearless leader (I won't say it's an improvement, but I am intrigued by the idea of him just being a part of the larger picture, with Saitou fully able to act without him and Sano not even having him on his radar)

---The condensed Hiko-Fuji and Kenshin-Soujirou fights - I frankly think they lost very little by being chopped down. The Soujirou one could have been longer and drawn out the angst a little bit more instead of Soujirou literally summarizing the change that just happened, but it was interesting to see it over in the blink of an eye.

And there are some things that are horrible when compared to the series:

----Basically anything where Aoshi is onscreen.
(Let me count the ways - 1: having him seek out Shishio to join him? 2: That fight. Dang, that fight... They took one of the top three most badass fights in the series and turned it into... trash. 2a: Beating Kenshin when he was near-mortally wounded would have meant nothing to him. 2b: He fought Kenshin to a standstill when he was fresh and uninjured. Having him defeated after a few seconds when Kenshin was so badly wounded is beyond disgraceful. 2c: He was swayed away from his throwing-away-everything path of revenge by... what? There was no real conversation and he wasn't talked down from the ledge this time, Kenshin just said Misao was there, Aoshi ignored him, they fought a couple seconds, Aoshi lost, and then he seemed to agree with Kenshin about Misao? So much for being a determined, violent, frightening badass of a character.
I would have prefered overall that Aoshi not even be in the OVAs to this >> )

----The fight with Shishio was... eh. It was okay as a fight, but compared to the series, where it was the most badass fight there, it was seriously lacking. The combined efforts of all of our protagonists defeating him was pretty epic, and here it was... nothing special. And ended pretty strangely. I was missing him overheating and catching fire, honestly, because it doesn't seem like there was much point to constantly pointing out how hot he was without that.

----I'm going to go against the grain and say I hated the art. Specifically, almost all of the male character designs. Everyone looks like they have tree trunks for necks and had botched rhinoplasty. Saitou was hideous and Aoshi wasn't much better, and what the hell happened to Soujirou's head? At least Kenshin was mostly just noseless and nondescript.

----Randomly changed characterization. Hiko's pride in Kenshin, Sano not caring about him one way or the other, Yahiko saying he was only following him because "I can't let that dimwit wander around", and (on the other end of the spectrum) Aoshi blaming Kenshin instead of himself for the oniwabanshu's deaths were all just... weird.

Overall, the positives for me are almost positive enough to outweigh the negatives. I like the changed plot enough to accept the alternate canon (since it's how I felt it should have gone in the first place :P ) and if I want to watch some awesome Saitou I may watch part 2 again, but because of what they did to Aoshi I will probably never embrace this entirely.

((edited for typos)
ankh-ascendantSep 6, 2014 9:09 PM
I have never met a reverse harem that would not be greatly improved
by eliminating the female main character.
Sep 6, 2014 8:59 PM

Jan 2014
There are some stuff I liked, but all in all pretty disappointing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 4, 2014 11:13 PM

Jul 2007
ChrnoTodd said:
WTF IS THIS SHIT?

I am a huge fan of Kenshin and i have watched everything and yeah some things were pretty bad like the movie, but this.....

WAS FUCKING ATROCIOUS!!

I don't even know what rating to give this, im guessing a 4? 3? lol, the only reason its not a 1 is the animation was still pleasing to watch despite the fact that the action scenes were so rushed.

Jun 4, 2015 10:36 AM

Jan 2011
Well, that was...weird... I haven't read the manga, but that still felt weird...Especially the 2nd part.

Saitou was the only one to showcase his technique. Kenshin's ultimate Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki wasn't even mentioned (well at least I didn't hear it being mentioned). He defeated Soujirou, Shishio and Aoshi not with the technique, but with a "Naruto-ish" concept that they should be able to read or feel their opponents' hearts when they clash swords and that would be the deciding factor. I don't mind that, really. What I do mind, and find very appalling was how Shishio's head split in half and he still managed to try and put it back together. This is not a supernatural show. That was just downright appalling.
4/10.
Nov 13, 2015 8:14 PM
Aug 2015
They could have adapt the manga final arc, but NOOOOOO.....let's fixed something that already perfect. That will shown them how better we are. We're gonna cash SO much money from this.

NOPE.

Japan anime producers never cease to amuse me. How can they made such a simple miscalculation? Everyone want Kenshin Himura earned his happy life. Happy ending. Not Seisohen clusterfuck, why made him die in miserable way? And then this OVA? They definitely mocked the fan by making this recap OVA!

Adapt the damn arc already. After more than 10 years, you still can't get your head out of your ass? Look what Evangelion did! Simple, and fan want it
Jun 27, 2016 11:01 AM
Jul 2007
Well, I only have a question to myself: why the hell did I watch this sh*t?

The whole story and the characters are f*cked up, it's ridiculous, mostly the fighting scenes. Meh...
Oct 29, 2016 8:24 PM

May 2012
Quite many differences again, and well I must say while I know why they did it to make it fit properly with the faster pacing of this remake, it was still a bit weird to be honest.

All in all though a good two episode remake/recap of the main arc of the series!
May 3, 2017 4:42 PM
Oct 2016
I liked this episode more than the first maybe just because of the fighting scenes which were well directed with some pretty good animation but still overall a very unnecessary rushed retelling. The annoying thing is that there's clearly some potential here that they could have used to make a whole OVA series telling the story of the rest of the manga, but this was made all the way back in 2011/2012 so sadly it might be too late.
Aug 15, 2017 10:06 AM

Apr 2009
oh look some people gave it a 5/5.

Seriously the '99 animation is way better than this!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2017 9:14 PM

Aug 2013
I at least drew some entrainment out of the first part, this second half minus a few cool scenes just felt lifeless and cash grab-esque. As a whole this OVA just was not up to the snuff, no where near matching what this franchise can bring.
May 23, 2019 3:17 AM
Jan 2015
This really didn't need to be made like at all. The changes they made make no sense. Seriously what was the point in this?
Jul 3, 2019 8:34 PM
Sep 2017
As much as I love Rurouni Kenshin, and simply enjoy seeing the characters on screen, even if it’s just filler eps, this OVA irritated and disappointed me. The animated backgrounds were beautiful, and I would have been fine with their having to change the storyline somewhat to fit in the shortened timeframe and leave some things out.

However ... what I could not stand was how much they changed the actual personality of the characters, especially Kenshin! Taking out broomhead Chou’s eye?? Not giving a damn about Soujirou, and basically gloating to him like “ha - I beat you because you showed emotions.” Then splitting open Shishio’s head?? And then Aoshi turned into a wimp, apparently. Also, I guess Kenshin didn’t care what happened to Sanosuke either, since he didn’t return with him. Although now that I think about it, I don’t think they ever even met up in Kyoto in this OVA, actually.

Overall, even though I would dearly love to see a remake of the whole anime with updated art and the last part of the manga, (if they follow the manga correctly), this OVA wasn’t the way to go.
Jan 17, 2022 11:49 AM

Nov 2010
The awesomeness of the Kyoto arc cannot be remade in just 2-4 eps. Also, look at how they massacred my boy Shishio. He's less epic here. Such a shame.

The only good thing is the animation, the rest is not so good. 6/10
Sep 30, 2023 8:53 AM

Oct 2018
really disapointed about the battle... So much rush, and i think "rush" is nice because the end was concluded in 10 min lol
Shisho and Aoshi are beaten with one hit so you can see how bad is it...
Animation was good but i think it would be better with a 3rd episodes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto Hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MillaMaxwell - Mar 21, 2012

51 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jan 17, 2022 10:31 AM

» What are the episodes of the arc in the anime?

PikachuAnime1998 - Aug 23, 2018

3 by Puchkov »»
Aug 23, 2018 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.