Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 27, 2012 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
This was a boring episode ._., 30 mins of my life dropped. I read a lot of comments about ChitandaxOreki and I think they will never kiss ._.. This anime isn't romantic.
♥Chizuchan♥
Aug 27, 2012 6:45 PM

Jun 2008
How unrealistic. Come on, teenagers don't read newspapers!
Aug 27, 2012 7:03 PM

Feb 2012
Wow. I love how they went through all that and ended up correct in the end lol.

This ep was a great Eru x Oreki bonding moment. I really hope they get together in the end along with Miyaka + Satsohi.
Aug 27, 2012 9:42 PM

Sep 2011
The mysteries in this never get old

Aug 27, 2012 10:21 PM

Feb 2010
Either I got real bored or Hyouka started to get interesting...
Though tbh, the counterfeit bill never crossed my mind ._.
Aug 27, 2012 11:19 PM

Jan 2008
Chizuchan said:
This was a boring episode ._., 30 mins of my life dropped. I read a lot of comments about ChitandaxOreki and I think they will never kiss ._.. This anime isn't romantic.

exactly my thoughts. want some kissing, get some doujinshi.

R0LAN said:
Either I got real bored or Hyouka started to get interesting...
Though tbh, the counterfeit bill never crossed my mind ._.

hyouka is boring almost from the starters, but this ep was a masterpiece at how to bore a watcher.
refreszAug 27, 2012 11:25 PM
Aug 28, 2012 12:22 AM

May 2012
Whoa, that was amazing. The theories keep getting more and more intricate.
Aug 28, 2012 1:56 AM

Feb 2011
What? Boring? No. Only 2 people for a whole episode and I didn't feel boring at all. Rather, 1 episode is not enough for Oreki x Chitanda. I demand moar.
The Game.
Aug 28, 2012 2:21 AM

Sep 2011
Dat detective skills. We get a festival, next week <3. Newspaper was related to the counterfeiting bills, so he was partially correct, interesting. Great ep!
Aug 28, 2012 3:31 AM

Oct 2008
This felt... filler-ish.
Aug 28, 2012 3:44 AM

May 2008
OREKI READS THE NEWSPAPER?! zomg winner. Sad that there is no ending especially on this one episode that i wanted to hear it LOL.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 28, 2012 3:53 AM

Nov 2011
Just 2 eps left :( and it dosent look like the kind of show that would have a 2nd season

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 28, 2012 5:45 AM

Mar 2012
Some random thoughts by Houtarou but it turned out to be true. WTF did I just watched lol.
Keep moving forward
Aug 28, 2012 6:11 AM

Jul 2011
Great Episode! Really interesting their theory that eventually proved right.

and Oreki... kiss her damn gosh.
Aug 28, 2012 11:06 AM

May 2011
Hmm... perhaps the romance aspect might not be unreachable after seeing this episode and the preview. I'd definitely like to see Oreki and Chitanda pair up by the end of the anime. Only 2 more episodes and there are glimpses of yutaka. Make it happen.

Also, the Chitanda moe was great. I haven't felt HNNNNGGG- from her since the first few episodes.

Despite that, it was a boring episode. The ending doesn't look promising, and I almost fell asleep watching.
Aug 28, 2012 11:19 AM
May 2011
With this development, I hope we get the ending that we wanted even if it's a mystery genre of anime.
Aug 28, 2012 1:46 PM

Aug 2010
Kyoani is killing me... literally. Chitanda pouting is just... omg...
And yes, some development in the romance department! Couldn't expect less from it, but to be frank, I'm not expecting more either.
For those waiting for a sequel, I don't think that's going to happen either. I didn't see Hyouka in the top10 BluRay sells. It is possible to make one though. It could go on like this even with their children if I'm to be allowed to see that far in the future xD
Aug 28, 2012 2:59 PM

Jan 2012
mixordia said:
JUST KISS HER ALREADY OREKI!

DON'T!

It'll cause me to drop this anime to a 7 or something like that!

My word, why do you all like romance?!
Aug 28, 2012 3:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
testyal1 said:
Some of us live vicariously through these shows ;)

Actually, pretty much from the first time Oreki laid eyes on Chitanda I dropped the idea that this was a "mystery" show and instead saw it as a show about four kids and their growing relationships. That's why I've never had much to say about the "mysteries" - they were just backgrounds for the real stories.
Aug 28, 2012 3:12 PM
Aug 28, 2012 3:46 PM

Jul 2011
Wow, good job Oreki. It was a whole episode of them just making deductions and it went by pretty fast. This show seems to have hit it's stride, too bad it's almost over though
Aug 28, 2012 3:55 PM

Jun 2012
Cratex said:
testyal1 said:

Actually, pretty much from the first time Oreki laid eyes on Chitanda I dropped the idea that this was a "mystery" show and instead saw it as a show about four kids and their growing relationships. That's why I've never had much to say about the "mysteries" - they were just backgrounds for the real stories.

I have a feeling you, and all those equal-minded, will be disappointed by the time this anime finishes. I, by no means, dislike the romance genre or romantic aspects but it seems unlikely that they'd crowbar all that romantic development in the last two episodes after scattering subtle and seemingly ambiguous hints here and there these past 19 episodes.

Although I would take off my hat to the diligent person on the writing team who manages to seamlessly weave it into the plot at this late stage... I would be pleasantly surprised but I'm just not holding my breath for it.
Albert Einstein said:
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
Aug 28, 2012 4:17 PM

Oct 2011
Houtarou was amazing in this episode. His character has changed so much. It was nice to see him kind of joking around (and those expressions ah).

Chitanda was especially annoying in this episode though. She started out fine, but it only went downhill from there. Her outburst was surprising, as I didn't expect her to get so... into it. Calm down, girl. Houtarou isn't your personal problem solver, and he's allowed to refuse or make mistakes. I think she's a bit too... controlling. She also needs to learn the meaning of 'personal space.'

Also, where were Satoshi and Mayaka? At least mention them? And how did Houtarou and Chitanda end up sitting alone like that? There was no lead-up or explanation or anything.

This episode was pretty slow-paced considering how little information was in it. I mean, sure it was interesting as always to follow Houtarou's thought process, but overall the episode was pretty boring. Perhaps 15 minutes of the 'game' would have been fine, but I think that dedicating the whole episode (and one so near the end at that) to it was a mistake.

There was also very little development in this episode as well, character or relationship-wise (it was the same stuff as always, Houtarou denying his intelligence, getting flustered over Chitanda's proximity, etc. - the only difference I saw was a bit of a joking attitude) so I'm not really sure what the purpose of this episode was.
a_sandwichAug 28, 2012 4:22 PM
Aug 28, 2012 5:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
solofra said:
I have a feeling you, and all those equal-minded, will be disappointed by the time this anime finishes.
No, not at all. If that was the last episode I already know Oreki is doomed. Everything else is just added flavor.
Aug 29, 2012 5:19 AM
Apr 2012
I don't think Oreki and Chitanda will kiss or go to that extent by the end of the series.

Most probably they will just start to accept their feelings for each other,and they will come to the realisation that they actually like each other enough to be more than just friends.

The furthest they will go is hold hands while watching the fireworks together or something subtle.
Aug 29, 2012 5:59 AM

Jul 2012
Light hearted episode full of Chitanda X Oreki moments. Expected whatever Oreki to say to really be the truth, and it sure did.

Well, looks like its the typical New Year's Festival episode next. Doubt Oreki and Chitanda would really become a couple, but rather just realise the feelings they have for each other.

2 more episodes to go. Will be sad when this ends...
Aug 30, 2012 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
bastek66 said:
What a hellishly teasing episode

*insert "So Close" and/or "Now Kiss" meme here*

Anywayz, another relatively pointless mystery. But dang, it was a good episode. How the heck did he get it right just from that announcement? Completely impractical that it would actually happen that way IRL, but wow. So much Oreki X Chitanda lately.....and i'm good with this. Next episode looks like it will be that way too.
Aug 30, 2012 12:56 AM

Aug 2011
Oreki ftw
Aug 30, 2012 7:49 AM

Jul 2010
mixordia said:
JUST KISS HER ALREADY OREKI!

What the heck, there's a table right there, sweep it clear and ...

As for the episode, it was golden!

As for all of these comments:
MM-Rosiie said:
The counterfeit bill was a bit of a longshot, but it also made sense.

Damn Oreki, your expressions. :D

Post-Josh said:
Mildly interesting, but this episode gave unrealistic deduction a whole new meaning. Obvious fan-service tease is obvious, blah. Hopefully KyoAni won't flop their fall show.

Kurogashi said:
They're really shipping that OrekixChitanda.
I still find his conclusion to this mystery a bit off. I mean, couldn't the kid be called in because he could be a witness to a car crash or some crime? I mean he made a good guess but too little evidence to come up with a full proof deduction.

etc...

If the deduction Oreki made was so far fetched, how do you explain that I figured it out about two minutes before he came up with the solution?

Think about it...
1) They are calling for a student that shopped there that day. This means they don't know exactly who it was. Most likely, the clerk at the store remembered that a student wearing that uniform was the person that used a 10,000 yen note in the store that day. Since the bill itself and a student from the high school shopping in a store more frequently used by elementary students and their families are rare events, it makes sense that the clerk would remember this, but not know the identity of the student.

2) It can't really be a blatant crime that they are looking for the student for, or they would never go to the office with such a vague request. If they had been shoplifting or something, unless they had actually confessed in an anonymous note like they were positing earlier in the episode, which is an outrageous suggestion, they would never show up and admit that they were the culprit, unless they are stupid!

3) The missing information that there had been counterfeit 10,000 yen notes being passed was all that was necessary to cement the solution, but I had already figured out that it was about counterfeit money before Oreki mentioned it.

The only part about the deduction that I doubt is that Oreki never commented that the student may not have even known that they passed the counterfeit bill. If they were aware of the counterfeit, they would either have not used it or wouldn't go to the office when called.

ZMEI said:
omg
the first thing i've seen today after i got up was that picture

then right away i watched this episode
damn u photoshopers. . .

That is a very nice job! I applaud the sentiment behind it! :P

The sexual tension in this episode was so thick you could cut it with a knife! I love the way they demonstrate the characters' feelings for each other without any of them ever saying anything about it! Expertly done! :)

solofra said:
Cratex said:
testyal1 said:

I have a feeling you, and all those equal-minded, will be disappointed by the time this anime finishes. I, by no means, dislike the romance genre or romantic aspects but it seems unlikely that they'd crowbar all that romantic development in the last two episodes after scattering subtle and seemingly ambiguous hints here and there these past 19 episodes.

Although I would take off my hat to the diligent person on the writing team who manages to seamlessly weave it into the plot at this late stage... I would be pleasantly surprised but I'm just not holding my breath for it.

@testyal1 - Because we are human!

The man managing the script in this show is the author of the Full Metal Panic! light novel series. He is a master at implied relationship development and the "obvious couple that just doesn't get it" style of romantic comedy. (I'll use spoilers for those that haven't seen FMP! TSR)
zensunniAug 30, 2012 8:14 AM
Aug 30, 2012 9:22 AM

Jan 2012
zensunni said:

Good point. I am a stone-hearted emotionless beast after all.

But still.

It ruins stuff.
Aug 30, 2012 1:05 PM

Aug 2010
testyal1 said:
zensunni said:

But still.

It ruins stuff.
Romance? Nah. If you don't feel it, you don't feel it. I ain't going to say that j-rock ruins anime because I don't feel it, but it isn't. There will always be those who like romances and those who don't, so that doesn't mean you're a "stone-hearted emotionless beast", even if it's a sarcasm behind it.
Aug 30, 2012 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
anime original ending speculation:

Oreki gets subtle hints that Chitanda wants to pursue a relationship with him in next ep, but he doesn't realize it until the ep after~

In the next ep, he acts like a friend and doesn't really act like a guy interested in pursuing a relationship with her BUT - Chitanda would like him to act more like a guy interested in having a relationship with her - and was watching out for signals from him about it, which he didn't put out, because he didn't realize she wanted to see such things... THEN the ep after next ep he wakes up, with bed hair, and sister gives him a NOT so subtle hint! THAT. !! MAKES OREKI, DO AN EPICaLLY LONG... DEDUCTION!!!! about a theory concerning chitanda....and he rushes over to school to meet her before it starts and grabs her and hugs her and kisses her and says romantic things that make all the oreki fangirls swoon.
Aug 30, 2012 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
LonerGoth said:

Oreki gets subtle hints that Chitanda wants to pursue a relationship with him in next ep, but he doesn't realize it until the ep after~

In the next ep, he acts like a friend and doesn't really act like a guy interested in pursuing a relationship with her BUT - Chitanda would like him to act more like a guy interested in having a relationship with her - and was watching out for signals from him about it, which he didn't put out, because he didn't realize she wanted to see such things... THEN the ep after next ep he wakes up, with bed hair, and sister gives him a NOT so subtle hint! THAT. !! MAKES OREKI, DO AN EPICaLLY LONG... DEDUCTION!!!! about a theory concerning chitanda....and he rushes over to school to meet her before it starts and grabs her and hugs her and kisses her and says romantic things that make all the oreki fangirls swoon.

lol

It looks good :D but that will make the chances of a second season lower...so NO.
Aug 30, 2012 7:06 PM

Feb 2010
This show got better as it went along.. too bad it's almost over
Sep 1, 2012 7:10 PM

Jul 2010
HauntingShock said:
LonerGoth said:

lol

It looks good :D but that will make the chances of a second season lower...so NO.

When you consider that there are only 5 books, they covered books 1-3 already, along with large portions of book 4, which is short stories, there probably isn't enough original material left for a second season anyway. Maybe a movie or a series of 3-6 OVAs, but not a full season without a great deal of anime only stuff.
Sep 1, 2012 7:57 PM
Sep 2009
HauntingShock said:
LonerGoth said:

lol

I would prefer to have a nice concluding ending than waiting for a second season that might not happen. but the chances of that scene happening is almost none but i do want some romantic conclusion :)
Sep 2, 2012 7:13 AM
Dec 2011
she was actually mad at him that he didn't know why we say things smell fishy. That reaction was priceless
Sep 2, 2012 11:06 AM

Apr 2012
why is oreki so frigging hot omgggg <333
he's so adorable when he blushes and his theory was correct!
i loved his cute bedhead at the end as usual c:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2012 3:52 PM

Feb 2010
wtf this episode was horrible, was this a kyoani filler?
Sep 3, 2012 12:35 AM

Jun 2009
It's hard for me to believe that the police might go that far for a fake bill :| but okay, i live in a 3rd world country so i guess nobody cares over here, smh.

This episode went pretty fast to me, it was nice though.
Sep 3, 2012 6:16 AM

Sep 2010
testyal1 said:
zensunni said:

But still.

It ruins stuff.

harems = ruin stuff, 1 on 1 romances dont usually
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2012 3:06 PM

Jun 2010
Actually, guys, I had the feeling we saw two completely different things.
Fortunately I see there's someone like me who thinks this whole episode was useless.

I don't really enjoy Hyouka and I found this episode (as all the episodes except the 17th) slow, boring and pointless, as susual. We're almost at the end, Houtaru and Chitanda were never supposed to develop a love story in my opinion (and it's only her who started "loving" him at the end of episode 18, poor us, I don't think he has any feelings at all) and now, BOOM, fanservice.
Please, stop this!
I understand we can have different opinions, but it's the first time I come here and it's the first time I see someone talking positively about this stuff, seriously.
Sep 3, 2012 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
Good start commenting on mal.
You're not "really" enjoiyng it yet you comment on episode 19 of it. Hilarious.
Fanservice, in Hyouka? Rather not, but I guess we have a different defintion of fanservice. (not saying there's none as this ep shows, though)
Also Houtarou is the guy who definitely has some kind of crush on Eru. Most likely in a higher extent than Eru for him. But in your antipathy you completely overlooked all of the obvious hints throughout the anime. If you don't even bother why are you still watching it, anyway?
Ah, well, thanks for that laugh, sensitivewhat. :)
nantukoSep 3, 2012 4:24 PM
Sep 3, 2012 4:57 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
nantuko said:
If you don't even bother why are you still watching it, anyway?
There are some mysteries best left alone ;)
Sep 4, 2012 3:28 AM

Jun 2010
nantuko said:
Good start commenting on mal.
You're not "really" enjoiyng it yet you comment on episode 19 of it. Hilarious.
Fanservice, in Hyouka? Rather not, but I guess we have a different defintion of fanservice. (not saying there's none as this ep shows, though)
Also Houtarou is the guy who definitely has some kind of crush on Eru. Most likely in a higher extent than Eru for him. But in your antipathy you completely overlooked all of the obvious hints throughout the anime. If you don't even bother why are you still watching it, anyway?
Ah, well, thanks for that laugh, sensitivewhat. :)

I was waiting for something to happen, that's why I'm still watching it but it seems I was wrong. And I really like Hotaru and Satoshi, even Mayaka developed her character. But I can't stand Chitanda.
In my antipathy I saw that when Chitanda was washing herself in episode 7 I guess his face was red and also some episodes before this when she tries to steal his manga, but for me it's not enough to say "He has a crush for her", absolutely. Well, I found all this things even ridiculous. If we must pay attentiont at "obvious hints", I will most likely say he has a crush on Satoshi, lol. I commented because I was really impressed of what I read about this, I was used to something really different in Italian forums ;D
Sep 4, 2012 7:22 PM

Aug 2011
Well, both of them stayed in the classroom for the entire episode but good grief, Oreki sure showcased his deduction skills to Chitanda. Damn impressive.
Sep 8, 2012 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
This case was easy but Houtarou did a fine job in deducing the conclusion from just one announcement.
Sep 13, 2012 1:05 AM

Nov 2007
wait, so nobody else found it weird how they kept insisting student x could've exchanged the counterfeit money???? SINCE WHEN WAS THAT POSSIBLE
Sep 13, 2012 9:23 PM

Nov 2007
Wow what a boring episode. I seriously don't get how people love this so much. Nothing happened. He comes up with some crazy story out of nothing. It's unreal. Chitanda is still freaking annoying.
Sep 17, 2012 2:27 PM

Aug 2010
mystik said:
Wow what a boring episode. I seriously don't get how people love this so much. Nothing happened. He comes up with some crazy story out of nothing. It's unreal. Chitanda is still freaking annoying.

That's one perspective one may see. Others, like myself, would find it impressive about how he came up with such a story given all the details and deduce it from there.

Lawl, Chitanda is one cute annoying character who is irresistible to look away.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.