Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2008 3:00 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a beutiful and touching episode!
I'am guessing that Misuzu's illness is due to her state of serving as the vessel for Kanna's ressurection, right?
I still don't really get how Yukito died though... Was it the same "curse" that killed his ancestor, Ryūya?
Anyway, episode 12 is the last one, which I'll see tomorow, and 13th's a plot re-telling one. I wonder how will it all conclude...
Nov 8, 2008 12:37 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, I really have no idea how's this going to end. Even though I've already seen the movie. XD It looks like it took a different route. But, well. I'll see that.
Apr 10, 2009 11:20 PM
Mar 2009
I thought that Yukito died because he wished he could start over again, hence him becoming a crow. Well probably not but whatever. XD Oh, this episode was so sad..;~;
Apr 22, 2009 10:46 PM

Feb 2008
With all these fairly current discussions of Air - is it being shown somewhere? It's one of my favorites.

Yukito died because he loved Misuzu who was a reincarnation of Kanna. Kanna was cursed by the Buddhist monks - not only would she suffer a painful death if she loved anyone but anyone who liked (not even loved) her was doomed to also die painfully another part of the curse was that no matter how many times she was reincarnated she would know this. (This is a major difference between the series and the movie) Yukito also knew this but loved her anyway. Yukito did not become the crow. Sora, the crow, is the spirit of Ryuya. Yukito is a reincarnation of Ryuya. In Japanese Buddhism, which has a lot of Shinto elements, there are two seperate entities: the spirit and the "mind state" or reincarnation. While the spirit my occupy only one entity, the mind state can occupy many bodies (human, animal or supernatural) simultaneously. The classic example is a candle flame that is used to light another candle which is used to light another candle; the three candles (bodies) are separate but there is still only one flame (mind state). The goal is to fuse the spirit with the mind state and thus achieve perfection.

Probably more than you wanted to know - but that helped me get through the series which is one of my top three.
Jun 9, 2009 9:32 PM

May 2009
Yay Misuzu ^-^
Her dad is a dick!
I can't believe he thought he could just drop her off at Haruko's then pick her up whenever >.<

Misuzu crying out "Mama" on the beach broke my heart <.>

Jun 30, 2009 1:32 PM

Aug 2008
Oh my... such a sad episode.... But it was amazing 'cause by the end of the episode there will be a happy ending for both Misuzu and Haruko.... at least for a while.... It's really touching the fact that she really came back just to make up all the time they've lost together although they've lived together for years now... It's weird how could someone tag his dad as dick.... I rather think both Haruko and Misuzu's dad are in the same lavel of stupidness just leaving the poor girl alone... But it's true.... Haruko is much better 'cause at least she tried to educate and care for her, while the Dad just left Misuzu alone there... Oh well this was just like in the manga... a very touching ending of Misuzu's and Haruko's problems with her dad.... Nice episode

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2009 2:39 PM

Apr 2009
I love this episode.
It was so sad about Haruko and Misuzu. The scene on the beach was very touching.
Jul 10, 2009 3:35 AM
Apr 2009
Heh, I actually liked this episode.
Jul 20, 2009 1:41 AM

Jun 2009
Air as a whole is pretty uneven compared to later Key/KyoAni series, but i'm glad to know that it can deliver a heartbreaking scene. Man it's hard to believe that Misuzu has deteriorated that bad, it's really unfair.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 21, 2009 10:45 AM

Aug 2008
in 4th minute i heard another time soundtrack like Clannad's.

it's so sad that Misuzu lost all her memory, all the joyful moments, the memories had gone in a moment. at a time when everything started to lay, Misuzu was supported by Haruko there was so big return. I hope that Misuzu will recover her memory, because I think that all these moments spent with Yukito, talks and all the previous experience are worth to be her memories......
it was so touching when she choose Haruko < 3
Jan 16, 2010 4:29 AM

Jul 2007
ohhh man.. this was just to much...im a grown man and i have to admit that was such a depressing episode. I think i will watch this show again this time with a more open mind. The first few episodes of the summer arc were pretty dull and thats why it didn't interest me much but now the series is getting much better. I can't wait to see the last episode. I still in the dark kind of though bout the plot.

Jan 20, 2010 6:29 AM

Nov 2009
it was sooo cute!!! im so glad that she got 2 stay with her aunt X3 and misuzu got her memory back XD YAY!!!
Jan 29, 2010 8:52 PM

Oct 2008
Yay, they're reuinited.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 3, 2010 5:32 PM

Aug 2009
Sunlone said:
Heh, I actually liked this episode.

My thoughts again. Since Yukito is no longer here due to godknowswhat so there's not much point in the anime. 2nd last episode and I still don't get a thing. This episode was nice though and the only one which actually made any sense.
Apr 24, 2010 12:20 PM

Jan 2010
Such a beautiful and sad episode. I loved it.
May 12, 2010 10:41 AM

Feb 2010
good... touching episode... such a downer! poor Misuzu... she's really taken a nosedive :(
May 20, 2010 4:37 AM

Mar 2010
chinaboat said:
With all these fairly current discussions of Air - is it being shown somewhere? It's one of my favorites.

Yukito died because he loved Misuzu who was a reincarnation of Kanna. Kanna was cursed by the Buddhist monks - not only would she suffer a painful death if she loved anyone but anyone who liked (not even loved) her was doomed to also die painfully another part of the curse was that no matter how many times she was reincarnated she would know this. (This is a major difference between the series and the movie) Yukito also knew this but loved her anyway. Yukito did not become the crow. Sora, the crow, is the spirit of Ryuya. Yukito is a reincarnation of Ryuya. In Japanese Buddhism, which has a lot of Shinto elements, there are two seperate entities: the spirit and the "mind state" or reincarnation. While the spirit my occupy only one entity, the mind state can occupy many bodies (human, animal or supernatural) simultaneously. The classic example is a candle flame that is used to light another candle which is used to light another candle; the three candles (bodies) are separate but there is still only one flame (mind state). The goal is to fuse the spirit with the mind state and thus achieve perfection.

Probably more than you wanted to know - but that helped me get through the series which is one of my top three.

Wow thanks alot for explaining. But what I still don't get is... If Yukito and Misuzu couldn't be together.. Why can Haruko?
May 28, 2010 2:49 AM

Oct 2009
What gets to me is the dear crow. He was rather absent during this entire episode, but he triggered the heartbreak when Misuzu was calling for her mom at the beach. The crow/Yukito is so awesome @_@
May 30, 2010 8:48 AM

Dec 2007
detectiveyoshi said:
chinaboat said:

Wow thanks alot for explaining. But what I still don't get is... If Yukito and Misuzu couldn't be together.. Why can Haruko?

Because Yukito had wanted to protect Misuzu. He also didn't want to become too attached because he was a vagabond after all. Whereas Haruko wanted to make Misuzu's wish come true. She wanted to take her to the beach and to be her friend. She had that resolve, whereas Yukito did not.
Sep 16, 2010 10:19 PM

Jan 2010
I actually liked this episode. I liked The Beach scene so touching.
Oct 15, 2010 5:33 PM

Nov 2007
I still don't get him becoming a crow or her becoming so infant like ... I hope this gets somewhere already
Nov 4, 2010 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
One of the most touching episodes of them all. Although, I still don't get anything abou the crow. Is he Yukito or Ryuya?

And what the fuck? Why the sudden memory loss?
SkyNov 4, 2010 10:55 AM
Nov 6, 2010 3:51 PM

Dec 2009
The show isn't as good as everyone say, but hey, I cried. That is always great. But I don't know why, since I barely know the characters. Maybe because I can understand loneliness.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 23, 2011 1:45 PM

Jul 2010
very heartwarming

Mar 23, 2011 10:15 PM

Aug 2010
i miss yukito. lol. great ep otherwise though.
Aug 1, 2011 2:12 AM
Jul 2010
chinaboat said:

Now that's a great explanation. Hontou ni arigato!

I loved this episode... Despite it being so sad. And it saddens me to know that Misuzu will eventually die. I mean, things are happening as Yukito's mother told him: "First, she'll forget all about the person she cares the most." I still hope this could get a happy ending.
Aug 28, 2011 2:02 PM

Apr 2007
Such a touching episode. Misuzu looks really cute with short hair, but too bad it seems like Haruko opened up too late...
Oct 25, 2011 6:22 AM

Aug 2011
SOOO TOUCHING!!!! TTATT
Dec 11, 2011 1:31 AM
Nov 2011
Honestly, I wasn't sure I could still connect with these characters after the flashback. But seeing Misuzu trying to push her mom away, to try and stay away from the beach, like she knows something is going to happen there in some kind of foreshadowing. Then her dad showing up after God knows how long, after her memory having become broken as Haruko tries to make up for all that she'd done all along.

I just couldn't help but cry. I hurt for both of them through this. And Misuzu calling for 'mom' on the beach was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 11, 2012 7:10 PM
Apr 2011
Dusk252 said:
chinaboat said:

Now that's a great explanation. Hontou ni arigato!

I loved this episode... Despite it being so sad. And it saddens me to know that Misuzu will eventually die. I mean, things are happening as Yukito's mother told him: "First, she'll forget all about the person she cares the most." I still hope this could get a happy ending.
I am also sad knowing the possibility of Misuzu dying.
I hope a miracle happens. And she again reminded of Yukito.
Apr 25, 2012 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
if CLANNAD has a best episode (episode 18), then this episode is the best in AIR series.. the best scene? when misuzu called haruko "mama".
its really heart touching
almost the beautiful scene i have ever watched
May 18, 2012 9:26 PM

Jul 2010
That was absolutely positively amazing. Best episode of the whole series. I cried so hard :')
Jul 28, 2012 3:29 AM

May 2012
What a touching episode the beach part really made me cry! I do wonder why she suddenly lost her memory, was that willingly ?
Aug 26, 2012 6:28 PM
Jul 2012
Good episode.
Still kinda get it.
4/5
Feb 7, 2013 2:52 AM

Jan 2011
I got teary eyes when Misuzu said that her aunt's food was indeed delicious. The beach part was emotional as well, but not the point of getting teary eyes.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 19, 2013 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
Wahhhhhhh, i love it
Apr 27, 2013 3:10 PM

Dec 2010
chinaboat said:

Oh, shit. Thanks for explaining, anyway. Too bad Yukito actually died, I can't take this.. >__>

A very touching episode nonetheless. I didn't expect things to go so well in the end. Still Misuzu got sticken so bad by that curse..
Jun 20, 2013 3:39 PM

Apr 2013
What a touching episode. Can't wait to see the end.
Aug 6, 2013 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Beautiful.
Mar 20, 2014 6:48 AM

Dec 2013
Sad Episode. But i dont think i can get used to misuzus short hair
Mar 28, 2014 1:37 PM

Apr 2012
for some reason I can't get into this anime..
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Sep 4, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2012
This isnt so bad, took me years to get here but I'm almost done.
The whole Yukito and crow thing is really stupid imo.
Dec 17, 2014 6:32 PM

Feb 2013
THAT WAS REALLY SAD.
Dec 13, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2012
I've felt a bit misty-eyed at a few points during this series but this was the first time I was full-on wailing lmao. MAMA ;A;
Mar 25, 2017 5:16 AM

May 2016
Great episode. I have to say this episode made me cry more than the last one.
Jan 27, 2018 12:33 PM

Mar 2013
If this episode made me this emotional, I don't wanna know about the last. Got me really teary-eyed.
Aug 15, 2019 7:10 AM

Oct 2018
Wow between this and episode 12 you could fill a riverbed with the tears of sadness from theses two episodes, AIR really guts you in it's finale arc!
Jun 4, 2020 10:04 AM

May 2018
What the hell is even going on anymore? Has Yukito been killed off for good?
Sep 25, 2020 10:36 AM

Aug 2018
First half of the episode was dreadfully boring but the second half completely made up for it. The second half was amazing. I really felt it when Misuzu cried for her "mom".

Jan 27, 2021 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
This entire show has been sooo boring, the first 3 arcs were barely worth watching except for the prior info needed to watch this one episode. This episode was the first actually good episode that didnt feel like a waste of time. And Haruko was the one who carried it the whole way as the only redeemable character of the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Air Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Animatronix - Mar 27, 2008

197 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

hznu - Aug 20, 2008

62 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Nov 12, 2007

100 by KingYoshi »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:37 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yukia-Kontan - May 30, 2008

74 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 9, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.