Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 19, 2012 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't really get the mystery behind this episode. Anyone mind elaborating?
Aug 19, 2012 10:06 PM

Dec 2011
Oreki curious on something?! What is this blasphemy?!

Love the reactions of everyone else... also the never gets old Chitanda Eru "I'm curious!"

Also, I didn't expect Oreki to be the one who establishes the mystery this time.

Unfortunately, the bike scene I was looking forward didn't happen in reality.
Chitanda pedalling while Oreki is riding at the passenger seat is awkward...
Oreki peddalling while Chitanda is riding at the passenger seat takes a lot of work... Thus he didn't do it!

All's well that ends well. He finally knew why Ogi-sensei reacted this way when it comes to helicopters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2012 10:12 PM

Jun 2008
"Why did our teacher say he liked helicopters that time!? We must discover the truth!"

...Like, seriously? Who fuckin' cares?

2/5
Aug 19, 2012 10:31 PM

Nov 2011
Kind of sad that were won't be another major mystery arc before it's over.

Wouldn't mind seeing some Houtarou/Eru development in the meantime, but it seems like Houtarou has a hell of a long way to go before he's ready to admit to liking someone.
Aug 19, 2012 10:40 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm this is the one time I am confused here...can someone explain to me exactly what happened with/to the english teacher? I thought he was one of those stranded and wanted to see a helicopter so he could be rescued..but then it said the 2 stranded people were found dead? And where did the lightning occur, while he was stranded? :S
Aug 19, 2012 10:53 PM

Jun 2009
Boring episode tbh.

But Oreki WAS curious. The biggest plot twist that could ever happen in this series passed right by my very own eyes. That's all.
Aug 19, 2012 10:59 PM

Jan 2012
MoeMoeKyun said:
Hmm this is the one time I am confused here...can someone explain to me exactly what happened with/to the english teacher? I thought he was one of those stranded and wanted to see a helicopter so he could be rescued..but then it said the 2 stranded people were found dead? And where did the lightning occur, while he was stranded? :S

it seemed to me the english teacher was just worried about the stranded people seeing as how in the newspaper it says that he wanted everyone to understand the rules to protect fellow climbers from life threatening dangers, so he most likely was relieved when he saw that help was coming to save those people (but at the time he didnt know that they were dead or else he wouldn't be smiling)

the lightning probably just occured during his climbing adventures, it was a clue for Oreki that the english teacher was a mountain climber (Oreki explained that the town didnt frequently have lightning because the mountains block atmospheric currents so he deduced that his teacher had something to do with the mountains which he confirmed with the article that Chitanda found)
jBuiAug 19, 2012 11:02 PM
Aug 19, 2012 11:34 PM
Jun 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
"Why did our teacher say he liked helicopters that time!? We must discover the truth!"

People who likes mysteries. The real question is why you just watched episode 18 of an anime you don't like in a genre you don't like. Now that is strange.
Aug 19, 2012 11:36 PM
Jun 2012
Stand alone episode. And from the preview, so is the next episode. And I don't see how they could fit the next arc in just two episodes, so I guess they're not doing that one at all.
Aug 19, 2012 11:46 PM
Jul 2011
Redfoxoffire said:

2/5

That adds to the realism in this anime a bit, tho, which is one of its strengths. If someone (willingly or subconsciously), wanted to become a detective in the real world, they are not going to find a murder around every corner (see: Conan). So what are the other options? Unraveling the mysteries of everyday life, or of the lives of people around you.

It all goes back to Chitanda Eru's favorite question: "why?"

To me, that is what makes this anime interesting. I can get all of my elaborate murders and the like from Christie and Aoyama, but this is one of the only places that I can get mysteries that actually have a place in reality.
Aug 20, 2012 12:13 AM

Jun 2008
Helpme said:
Redfoxoffire said:

People who likes mysteries. The real question is why you just watched episode 18 of an anime you don't like in a genre you don't like. Now that is strange.

No, the real question is how you think you can assume so much about a person based on such a small comment.

hakemo said:
Redfoxoffire said:

2/5

That adds to the realism in this anime a bit, tho, which is one of its strengths. If someone (willingly or subconsciously), wanted to become a detective in the real world, they are not going to find a murder around every corner (see: Conan). So what are the other options? Unraveling the mysteries of everyday life, or of the lives of people around you.

To me, that is what makes this anime interesting. I can get all of my elaborate murders and the like from Christie and Aoyama, but this is one of the only places that I can get mysteries that actually have a place in reality.

That idea has been fine for the mysteries up to now. I have found some of them pretty underwhelming, but overall they were still made interesting and relevant (though sometimes borderline) enough. But this? Not only did I have it figured out halfway into the episode - and so all I saw from then on was needless exposition on something that was plainly obvious - the idea of it getting anyone curious enough to research it is absurd, especially someone like Oreki. I mean, what's next? Finding out why the pizza delivery boy wears tennis shoes?

But in the end it's just one episode of 21. Things could be worse.
Aug 20, 2012 12:25 AM

Feb 2012
hakemo said:

I like you :D
You bothered writing the same opinion I have.
I do agree at TPAM though...the part of getting curious about that...

Anyways, a not-so-bad episode I guess...
It's just an episode where Chitanda discovers a good side of Oreki.
I lol'd at them when they heard Oreki is curious :D
HauntingShockAug 20, 2012 12:31 AM
Aug 20, 2012 1:36 AM
Oct 2011
May I ask, what volume of the LN did this episode appear?

just curious hehe
Hi, I am Daniel
Aug 20, 2012 2:29 AM

May 2010
Orkei want to do something and everyone act like its that end of the world XD, Chi-chan my house isnt that big right....

The odd of getting stuck by lightning are a 1,000,000/1 so getting stuck 3 time in one life time? i would like to meet that person and shake his hand and get some of that luck, cuz of the odd are outrageous.
Aug 20, 2012 2:39 AM

Aug 2012
MoeMoeKyun said:

Maybe the stranded people were his friend who always did the climbing together?
Nowhere,everywhere.

Aug 20, 2012 3:24 AM

Apr 2009
This isn't turning out how I expected it to be after the first two or three episodes... I am wondering where the story will be going or if they are going to solve random "mysteries". It's not necessarily boring to watch, but it's not really good either, just so-so I guess...

Aug 20, 2012 3:49 AM

Apr 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
hakemo said:
Redfoxoffire said:

2/5

That idea has been fine for the mysteries up to now. I have found some of them pretty underwhelming, but overall they were still made interesting and relevant (though sometimes borderline) enough. But this? Not only did I have it figured out halfway into the episode - and so all I saw from then on was needless exposition on something that was plainly obvious - the idea of it getting anyone curious enough to research it is absurd, especially someone like Oreki. I mean, what's next? Finding out why the pizza delivery boy wears tennis shoes?

But in the end it's just one episode of 21. Things could be worse.

I think if you're watching this show primarily for the mysteries, you're doomed to disappointment. Its main strengths as far as I can see are character interaction/development and beautiful animation, which is quite enough to keep me happy most of the time. The mysteries are just there to give the characters something to do.

Having said that, I don't think this one was half as fluffy as you're making out. Sure it was easy to figure out, but I can totally see why Oreki would want to take the time to confirm it. The mystery wasn't "why did our teacher say he liked helicopters that time", that was just the beginning. After idly thinking about that for a minute, he started wondering if maybe someone his teacher knew had died that day, and he never knew about it. That's what he wanted to find out.
Aug 20, 2012 4:08 AM

May 2008
It really is hard to truly understand what another person is thinking or feeling , but Houtarou did a good job nontheless , frankly though i didnt really like this episode.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 20, 2012 5:44 AM

Jun 2009
Houtaro felt guilty about nonchalantly said the teacher like helicopter, when in reality, helicopter is the one thing the teacher never wish to even see... (no rescue heli = no stranded climbers)

The episode it's just that simple.

Kinda like, I wouldn't want to say "Kevin love buses" because he takes the bus everywhere, when in fact, Kevin's mother was killed by a bus and he actually don't like buses... Something along that line.

"I hope I'm not right about this"
Indeed Houtaro... Indeed...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2012 5:49 AM

Dec 2009
I've heard a lot of people saying this was a boring episode, but I found it interesting. Best of all, it had characterization.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 20, 2012 5:56 AM

Nov 2010
Oreki being curious was hilarious and the bike dream as well
It was nice to see him change
Not a really big mystery, maybe something a Journalist would do to dig up things
The Clues were certainly interesting with Helicopters and lightning
I think the word Chitanda was looking for was Amazing
Aug 20, 2012 6:28 AM

Apr 2012
Storywise it was just meh. Really, really meh.
Way too much blablabla similar to that boring as hell arc with the movie.

Only two good things this episode: Orekis unusual behaviour including the reaction of the other clubmembers and the time Houtarou was alone with Eru. :P

I wonder if this episodes "mystery" will be some kind of arc for the rest of eps or if the remainig time is wasted with other nonsense like this.
Aug 20, 2012 6:32 AM

Nov 2009
Oreki is curious!

The mystery was the worst one till now :(.
Aug 20, 2012 6:43 AM

Jun 2009
I'm baffled by the fact that a lot of people here think this episode is a big waste of time O.o

He didn't just solve the mystery because he's curious, he's trying to find out the truth, even though he knows the truth will bring him slight discomfort over misrepresenting his teacher.

Key sentences
"I can't really just say "Ogi likes helicopter" and leave it as that"
"That would just be insensitive"
"I don't think I'll ever see him again, so it's not like I need to know how he feels"

Yet he did... He's feeling guilt over misrepresenting one.
Like, I never wanna make the mistake of saying "Kevin always takes the bus, he love buses", when in reality, Kevin dislike buses because a bus ran over his pet.

This episode showed a interesting side of Oreki... And Eru is more than impress by that side of him.
Aug 20, 2012 8:00 AM
Apr 2012
great episode cept i wanted them to ride the bike together and Oreki got a personality change this ep
Aug 20, 2012 8:07 AM

Sep 2011
'Plot twist: Houtarou is kininarimasu.'
OMG THEY ACTUALLY DID IT!!!
Aug 20, 2012 8:33 AM

Dec 2011
Yes is THAT amazing (i mwonder who was the dumbass who rated it 1)
When he said "I'm curious about it" it was hilarious, amazing, and everyones reaction was perfect. (all that happened when i was going like -waaa aaa aa???-
Aug 20, 2012 8:40 AM

Jun 2010
I can see how this series, and this episode in particular, can be boring for some people. It is slow and not much happens. But Hyouka is not about stuff happening, not even about the mysteries, it's about the characters. And this episode provided some good character development for Houtarou. Or rather - the confirmation that the development that has been going on since the first episode is there, and it's working. After being dragged into those "cases" and discovering that they're not just a food for thought but also a lot of people's feelings mixed together, Houtarou has begun to understand why sometimes he really should get involved. Great episode.

Also a shipping kind-of-date episode. Fortunately it's not the "in you face" kind of romance a lot of the so-called "romance" anime like to do (and, annoyingly enough, the protagonist is usually too dumb to see it). It progresses slowly and smoothly and is not even that romantic. It's just them learning from each other, becoming better acquainted. Can these two even be called "friends", let alone "love interests"?

Too bad Hyouka is ending soon. I'll be preserving it on my Favourites list forever though. I'm actually forcing myself not to give it a 10/10 rating before finishing the last episode.
Aug 20, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2012
I think people are overlooking this episode a bit and focusing too much on the mystery aspect rather than the characterization. I swear it feels like people didn't bother to watch the last 3 minutes of the episode.

Eru asked Oreki why he was curious about such a mundane thing and he said the reason why was that he felt he'd be insensitive if he said Ogi liked helicopters without actually knowing for sure. It shows that Oreki cares about others and doesn't want to misunderstand their feelings. I feel this could be a good lead-in for the next three episodes...which seems to show more Oreki x Eru alone time. I think there will come a point where they'll need to understand each other's feelings for each other.

At least that's how I look at it. For those of you who said there's no way Oreki would confess his love for Eru, that maybe true, but what if Eru confesses her love for him? Keep in mind that Oreki IS attracted to her. Go back to the hot spring inn episode if you don't believe me.

Things could get VERY interesting in the last three episodes. It'll be interesting to see how this anime plays things out.
Aug 20, 2012 8:44 AM

May 2011
When they were talking about Ogi for more than a minute I was deeply afraid this would be the next arc.

It was.

A very boring mystery this time around but I think that's the purpose because anything flashier would distract from the obvious character development approach in this arc. Still, I can't get over how boring this mystery looks. Whatever they're planning better be good or this will have bumped the score I give it by a significant amount.
Aug 20, 2012 9:49 AM

May 2011
Hahaha those reactions were great when Houtarou said he was curious. And lol at his imagination about riding a bike together with Chitanda.

And yeah these two just look so nice together.
Aug 20, 2012 9:57 AM

Jun 2007
I thought the mystery is fine, at least I am awake still.. I still remember how bad the mystery during the early episodes.. Either way, this episode is actually quite meaningful to me.. It gives Oreki a resolve to truly understand others..
Aug 20, 2012 10:06 AM
Jan 2011
Oh dear, another filler, btw I hate Chitanda.
Aug 20, 2012 10:11 AM

Nov 2008
The comedy was great, but otherwise I'm a bit disappointed with this episode. The mystery was way below this series' standard and as a result, Oreki's rather important character development went by kinda fast as well, along with the change in their relationship. It wasn't a disaster, but it did feel a bit rushed. I'd have loved this part if the mystery was thick enough to take two episodes.
Aug 20, 2012 10:32 AM

Nov 2007
Oreki is DAMN curious!!!!
WTH?!
Shames! Love the reaction of the Classics club members. haha. especially when Satoshi turned pale. :D LOLOLOL.

Chitanda Eru x Houtarou Oreki? FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
SUPER LIKE!!!!!! GRRRR! I hope that with the 3 episodes remaining, there will be more moments for the two.. same with Ibara x Satoshi.. weeeeee.
I really like this anime.. :D
Aug 20, 2012 10:50 AM
Feb 2012
And now we're back to the old Hyouka days. Talking about a topic that seems simple at first, turns into a surprisingly deep story supported by beautiful animation, a pleasant BGM and intriguing character interactions. Well, back to the old days is not quite right since Houtarou- quite frankly, the whole cast- also developed as a character which makes it even better now. All in all a lovely episode.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 20, 2012 10:52 AM

Jun 2012
Oreki certainly is curious
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 20, 2012 11:33 AM

Feb 2010
Plot twist: Oreki is curious
but seriously, haha, their reactions were just priceless and highly amusing... sad to say that that was the peak of how interesting this episode was... I was expecting something a little more form the interaction between Chitanda and Oreki, and not even something romantic- I didn't find it as interesting as others but I still like this show a lot.
Aug 20, 2012 11:41 AM

Jul 2010
lol @ Satoshi reacting at Houtarou's curious mind this episode.
Aug 20, 2012 12:15 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
eworm said:
After being dragged into those "cases" and discovering that they're not just a food for thought but also a lot of people's feelings mixed together, Houtarou has begun to understand why sometimes he really should get involved.
This
Aug 20, 2012 1:26 PM
Aug 2011
Oreki was curious?

I guess I should wake up from this Hyouka infested dream, because that's practically impossible.
Aug 20, 2012 1:27 PM

Jul 2012
SakuraRainbow said:
An absolutely fascinating episode about whether Ogi-sensei likes helicopters or not. Best mystery yet. /sarcasm

^ This. The case was pretty lame.

Not my favourite episode but it didn't suck that badly. 3/5
Damn the animation is pretty.
Aug 20, 2012 1:36 PM

Jul 2012
Loved it :) I laughed so hard when they all were suprised that Houtarou wanted to solve it on his own:)
Aug 20, 2012 2:17 PM

Oct 2011
The mystery itself was rather disappointing but the rest was quite charming! I liked Oreki's development especially.

who are you to change this world? silly boy.
Aug 20, 2012 3:09 PM

Feb 2010
it was an Ok Episode the mystery wasn't that challenging, also Houtaro being curious and the reaction of the three was priceless
Aug 20, 2012 3:28 PM

Jul 2010
Haha, they were all shock about Houtarou actually wanting to do something and being curious. It felt like a pretty random "mystery" though. Looking something up about one of their middle school teachers. I actually saw it coming the moment they saw the article about the rescue mission.

Pretty interesting though. Houtarou was very considerate of someone's feelings whom he probably won't meet anymore anyway. I also like that side of him, like Chitanda tried to say. Speaking of Chitanda, it seems that she's starting to like him more and more, but I'm not expecting a real romantic development. ;)

Aug 20, 2012 6:20 PM

Jan 2012
Cratex said:
eworm said:
After being dragged into those "cases" and discovering that they're not just a food for thought but also a lot of people's feelings mixed together, Houtarou has begun to understand why sometimes he really should get involved.
This

nice! never really thought of it that way
Aug 20, 2012 7:32 PM

Jun 2011
Oreki and Chitanda's time at the library was lovely. I liked how Chitanda said she was impressed of Oreki's unexpected side. That was adorable :)
「Icon credit to Milady666 ♡」
Aug 20, 2012 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
Actually, this episode showed how much Oreki changed from the first episode but hey, I also find it boring nonetheless.
Aug 20, 2012 9:16 PM

Jul 2009
I too am glad we got to see another 'side' of Oreki. From my understanding, he did this simply because it was the right thing for him to do. He needed to know the facts, so in the future he won't come across as inconsiderate.

Oreki never seizes to amaze me.

And it seems like people are missing the point. Chitanda didn't 'rub off' onto Oreki, so to speak. Oreki's curiosity this episode is part of who he is; a person who is selfless, considerate, and strives for the truth (regardless of whether he is consciously aware of it or not). The whole 'mystery' this episode was basically to show another piece of Oreki and it is very apparent at the end with Chitanda that the directors wanted to emphasize how 'great' Oreki is. He basically spent numerous of hours to find out the truth in order to prevent possibly offending somebody in the future.
KurogashiAug 20, 2012 9:32 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.