Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2012 3:56 PM

Feb 2009
Well at least the side stores are finished.... I'm just hoping that they won't do the same with the main story T.T
Aug 18, 2012 3:56 PM

Aug 2009
Niyawa said:
NNick said:
MAL reviews/ratings are bad. Just sayin.
You seem like these type of guys.

You made my day. :')
Haters gonna hate. But next week, we're going into volume 1, great !
Aug 18, 2012 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
So we have Inori Yuzuriha make an appearance today. As soon as she spoke I realized it's Ferris Eris voice.

Anyways I just have a question...Liz was looking at a picture of her as a child in the beginning...does that mean they were in the game for like 6 or 7 years and that they can age in the game?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 4:03 PM

Jun 2011
Totally Shipping Kirito X Rika

Even it's Impossible.
Aug 18, 2012 4:04 PM

Jan 2010
Wow, the CG dragon was bad. Also, am I the only one who felt a little bad for Rika when she figured out Asuna likes Kirto?
Aug 18, 2012 4:05 PM

May 2012
Great episode!

Question:

Aug 18, 2012 4:05 PM

Jul 2009
Aug 18, 2012 4:07 PM
Apr 2012
it was a good episode just tat it felt asuna didnt have any time in the episode she is the main character but so far she seems like a side character
Aug 18, 2012 4:08 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
Well, that was the situation to blame, I mean, the way they put those 7 episodes were more of filler than actual necessary story, so while Kirito was acting in a way in some episodes, he was going to be different in others since the time gap between those situations were quite large I believe.

I'm not sure if you've read the LN, but I think this is how they have to direct the series. They have three choices: 1) don't include the side stories, 2) put the side episodes later on just as the LN had, or 3) come up with some chronology with the author's blessing. The first route would've had the fans raging all over. The second route would've created a huge gap between the first and second arc and confused everyone. I know it makes no sense now, but I still believe people will see more sense of it once the series finished.

Zombiekop said:
Enjoyed this episode even more, because it wasn't that different from the LN! Good job!
The romance part kind of felt rushed though. She suddenly declares her love after holding hands. Would've wanted some more depth in that holding hand scene.

I think the author in the LN tried to make an implicit play at the suspension bridge effect. Basically, when you're emotionally aroused you may falsely attribute that arousal to feelings of affection toward someone in your proximity. The anime didn't do a great job at this (when they fell, I'm sure they could've spent 30 more seconds creating that scene where Kirito used sword skills to break the fall), but I think it makes sense. You have this guy who absolutely pisses you off, you go on a singular quest with him to find a mystery ingredient, he's a total badass in battle, and he just saved your life risking his own. He's kind of weird, but you've never met someone like this. These are all things we don't necessarily think about when the episode went through, but in real life, crushes have happened for less.
Aug 18, 2012 4:08 PM

Jul 2011
NNick said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

he is, try not to mind it, he's just a troll passing by who dislikes romance to the point of hating it

*Looks at signature*
You're definitely into it though.

yea and what? im not alone, i see Mgz has something similar

-MgZ_ said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

1. they didn't cut out the good parts from the LN
2. it didn't feel rushed

I disagree with you for the first time =(

really? dam, i thought in this forum everyone practically disagreed with what i said, i never knew people actually read my comments XD

your right, let me rephrase that
1.it didn't cut out most of the good parts
2.it didn't feel too rushed

i agree that they missed some epic moments like when kirito used his sword to slow down their momentum when they fell, but they still got the main point of him using his own body to take the brunt of the fall

also they changed his line when he smashed her prized sword, he was supposed to say
"If it's a sword that would break so easily then it's useless, if that happens I'll deal with it", but those are all minor things, it still worked well in the end

as for the romance part, it was fairly balanced with the plot and story, its reasonable why they couldn't include all the comedic/romance moments when they are doing it in one episode also they did a good job at presenting it, there would be no point going ott say for instance like with silica in ep.4 <_<
Aug 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Nov 2011
Oh, I just noticed but both Accel World and SAO presented dragons or creatures of similar theme this week in their respective episodes:

Aug 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Jan 2011
-MgZ_ said:
^LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Emelikku-san said:
You made my day. :')
Haters gonna hate. But next week, we're going into volume 1, great !

Thanks? Finally going to watch, took a long time to download.
Onlin3Mast3r said:
Great episode!

Question:

I don't think so.

tezann_t said:
I'm not sure if you've read the LN, but I think this is how they have to direct the series. They have three choices: 1) don't include the side stories, 2) put the side episodes later on just as the LN had, or 3) come up with some chronology with the author's blessing. The first route would've had the fans raging all over. The second route would've created a huge gap between the first and second arc and confused everyone. I know it makes no sense now, but I still believe people will see more sense of it once the series finished.

Well, yeah, I'm still on-hold on vol.1 so it was a just a guess, but your explanation makes more sense, thanks anyway.
NiyawaAug 18, 2012 4:13 PM
Aug 18, 2012 4:10 PM

Jan 2008
BloodRequiem said:
Anyways I just have a question...Liz was looking at a picture of her as a child in the beginning...does that mean they were in the game for like 6 or 7 years and that they can age in the game?

I'm pretty sure she just looked like younger in the picture but shes the same age as that picture. Only her hair is dyed pink. I'm assuming the guys in the background are NPCs but I can't recall.
Aug 18, 2012 4:13 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
So we have Inori Yuzuriha make an appearance today. As soon as she spoke I realized it's Ferris Eris voice.

please don't compare inori with liz just because they have pink hair

and no, only for around 1.5 years now, but she met with asuna and other blacksmiths in around the beginning, asuna convinced her to change her appearance to look "cute", although she was reluctant at first because it didn't suit her image as a blacksmith but she did it anyway because it attracted customers and helped her business

does she really look that young in the photo? she looks different but i never thought it was childish
Aug 18, 2012 4:14 PM

Mar 2012
Onlin3Mast3r said:
Great episode!

Question:

sbg711 said:

Not a spoiler-ish question at all. The earring just means Asuna wants to impress Kirito. Guys would dress up for the girl they like, right? Same here. So far not much is made out of it other than the fact that Asuna is wearing it to impress someone, and that someone is Kirito.
Aug 18, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2009
tezann_t said:

Not a spoiler-ish question at all. The earring just means Asuna wants to impress Kirito. Guys would dress up for the girl they like, right? Same here. So far not much is made out of it other than the fact that Asuna is wearing it to impress someone, and that someone is Kirito.

Well it's just that the earring didn't appear like something Asuna herself would choose.
Aug 18, 2012 4:22 PM

Jul 2011
I thought he doesn't get that jacket til he asks liz to upgrade his sword to +8 in the the other side stories...
Aug 18, 2012 4:26 PM

May 2011
Aww, the dreaded love triangle. I felt bad for Liz but I thought their time together was pretty cute. I'd love to try that freefalling together thing sometime.

Ah well. I'm glad these episodes act like single arcs. Having arcs last 2-3 or more episodes sometimes gets annoying when it can just be a 1 episode arc and move on.
Aug 18, 2012 4:34 PM

Jan 2012
A good episode finally
Aug 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Dec 2010
anyone noticed that kirito's mantle looks different from the one in the opening in some episodes?
Aug 18, 2012 5:01 PM

Oct 2010
sbg711 said:
I can tell you in general that they are accessories that boost stats or offer protection.

For example against the Paralysis shit Laughing Coffin uses. It can also be a thing of fashion but then they have no value for protection so they are useless.

That being said I would not be surprised the earrings gives + stats as you saw with the sword and what is marked on the appraisal sheets.
sbg711 said:
tezann_t said:

Well it's just that the earring didn't appear like something Asuna herself would choose.
AH SHIT! They are only for fashion and not magical?
Spitfirefly said:
anyone noticed that kirito's mantle looks different from the one in the opening in some episodes?
Might be cause he is changing equips often and your remark shows that he actually does.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 18, 2012 5:03 PM

Feb 2012
Spitfirefly said:

Because he changes armors so it keeps up with his level. The one in the opening will be his final mantle.

I felt a bit unsatisfied with this episode... they removed some of the reasons why Lizbeth liked Kirito...
HauntingShockAug 18, 2012 5:14 PM
Aug 18, 2012 5:05 PM

Dec 2009
I really liked this adaptation. Really well done, the way they ended it was pretty intuitive.

They really did good at skirting the question as to why Kirito wanted 2 swords in the first place, by ending in such an emotionally captivating way.
NettoAzureAug 18, 2012 5:13 PM
Aug 18, 2012 5:10 PM

Aug 2012
i thought the whole earing was just asuna dressing herself up for her "date" with kirito, it might offer stat bonuses like a ring though

well, this episode was good, compared to the last ones this one was animated so much better

finally the sidestories are finished, kirito has his pure black overcoat and has obtained elucidator and built dark repulsor, everythings set

we can fianlly get back to the main plot of SAO-clearng the game

its laughable in a way that kirio's sword is made of shit, he is gonna battle the monsters of SAO with a sword made of shit lolz xD
Aug 18, 2012 5:13 PM

Sep 2011
Definitely not one of the better episodes so far.
Did it bother anyone else that he didn't try out the second sword he got like with the first one?
If he's planning on dual-wielding that'd be pretty cool, though it wouldn't look very hero-like
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Aug 18, 2012 5:15 PM

Feb 2012
Netto_Azure said:

They really did good at skirting the question as to why Kirito wanted 2 swords in the first place, by ending in such an emotionally captivating way.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that...

now that you mention it, yeah, it was pretty good :D
Aug 18, 2012 5:20 PM

Jan 2011
AsadaShino said:
its laughable in a way that kirio's sword is made of shit, he is gonna battle the monsters of SAO with a sword made of shit lolz xD

Thanks for the laugh.
Just watched it, the pace seems fine in the episode, not rushed like the previous one, I still didn't like the way they made her like him in such a short time, I simply couldn't believe. But since she wanted to believe his "warmth" was real, I guess it was a way to say "It couldn't be helped."
Aug 18, 2012 5:21 PM

Jul 2012
Poor Liz... Though I do support Kirito x Asuna, I would have also liked Kirito x Silica or Liz. Liz is just one of those interesting and captivating characters. I'll support Silica and Liz from now on! Even though I like Asuna, I like them both too! Especially Silica! Overall, great episode, great action and romantic scenes. Loved the episode.
Aug 18, 2012 5:29 PM

Jun 2009
I've got a question about SAO itemizing. (addressed to LN readers)

DR +0 is inferior to El. Assuming front line is level 60 (or even 70, everyone thinks that level 100 is the last anyway),
what is the purpose of making it?

Either drops from higher levels != better equipment
or
+1 ... n applied to a sword is really powerful? If so why not to ++ El?

Requesting clarification.
Aug 18, 2012 5:32 PM
May 2009
carrying capacity? dragons? snowy mountains? tailored crafting?

it's like i'm really playing skyrim

where's my elder scroll mmo
Aug 18, 2012 5:33 PM

Jul 2009
This was a pretty good episode. The best thus far. It was not rushed, as it felt like it has good pacing. A lot of subtle messaging, which I just love (e.g. the earrings and how Liz came to the conclusion after seeing them). And for whatever reason, Asuna seems a lot more adorable this week.

5/5
Aug 18, 2012 5:44 PM

Jan 2008
Arqentum said:

DR +0 is inferior to El. Assuming front line is level 60 (or even 70, everyone thinks that level 100 is the last anyway),

or

You kinda answered your own question in the spoiler about the purpose of making it.

I don't remember much to anything about enhancing for SAO but I do recall them saying special rare weapon drops usually have better stats. According to a quick google, Elucidator was dropped from the Lv 50 boss while as the Repulser is just a smith'd item. Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...

Gonna guess that "require" is either STR or Lv... if it's Lv, it can also back up my statement since higher level gear usually have high level stats.
Aug 18, 2012 6:03 PM

Aug 2011
I usually don't shit on episodes, but when I do, I really think they could have been made better.
I know it's about a person's opinion, but I would really like they cut the "emo/whining" crap just by a little... They should really get the plot moving! Even if they don't, they should at least extend the duration of fighting scenes or make the dialogues less shounen-cliche.

I still hope this anime will get epix as i expected it to be after watching the first 2 episodes
Aug 18, 2012 6:04 PM

Jun 2009
Paul said:

You kinda answered your own question in the spoiler about the purpose of making it.

I don't remember much to anything about enhancing for SAO but I do recall them saying special rare weapon drops usually have better stats. According to a quick google, Elucidator was dropped from the Lv 50 boss while as the Repulser is just a smith'd item. Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...

Gonna guess that "require" is either STR or Lv... if it's Lv, it can also back up my statement since higher level gear usually have high level stats.

Aug 18, 2012 6:09 PM

Jul 2011
Paul said:
Arqentum said:

or

@arq, you practically answered your own question as to why he got an inferior sword in your spoiler

@paul he isn't wearing the coat of midnight anymore, he has upgraded his equipment to the best possible equipment and iirc his current coat was also player made by ashley, it would be really stupid if a boss drop from level 1 is still handy in the lvl 70s thats just too overpowered

the extremely rare demonic swords or rare monstor drops usually have superior stats to player made items but they can't be upgraded as much as playermade weapons and very good player made weapons like DR can essentially surpass them

so although its +0 atm, it can increase

the require is most likely the strength level to wield it as lisbets level was like 65 while kirito had probably exceeded 80, and even though she was 65ish she could barely wield elucidator which required only 61 which proves that its most likely the strength requirement

as in SAO you can only invest in stats such as STR or DEX when you level up
Aug 18, 2012 6:09 PM

Jan 2011
i liked this side story a lot even if it felt a bit short and i fucking love Liz! it's a shame Asuna is the female lead or i would had been rooting for her.

besides the CG dragon this was overall a pretty good episode it was nice to see everyone in there final armor as far as the OP goes hopefully if they reach max level they'll get something even better later on.
Aug 18, 2012 6:12 PM

Jan 2008
Arqentum said:
Paul said:

I'm honestly having no idea what your saying. I might be over-thinking, thinking to hard or misunderstanding something.
Aug 18, 2012 6:18 PM

Nov 2009
pretty decent episode, the most enjoyable episode so far for me, well despite some minor details have been cut out. They could make the beginning of lizbeth journey a little bit longer :P, oh well.

lizbeth brings freshness into the show, I like that.

@about asuna earrings: it isn't a gift from kirito(well at least the novel hasn't mentioned it), you can think of it as either an item to boost the owner's stats, or an item to make them more darling, which will be the case because when lizbeth looked at it, she knew that asuna has someone she likes.
Aug 18, 2012 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Aww i hoped liz would join the harem:/ looks like kirito isn't going to end up with a harem
Aug 18, 2012 6:24 PM

Jul 2011
Arqentum said:

ok a bit spoilerish here as to why
Aug 18, 2012 6:25 PM

Jun 2012
Poor Liz got Asuna'd; I'm sure that must've hurt for all the Liz fans. She'll forever be in the friendzone.

The dragon could've looked a lot better (especially with all those still shots). I'll just assume they're saving their budget for later.

Kirito's new sword, the Dark Repulsor, looks pretty badass. Though, it's also amusing to realize it's made out of dragon crap.

For those that have read the LN, where did Asuna get her earrings? I don't recall Kirito giving her any. Is there any significance to it or did the anime just add that scene on a whim?
Aug 18, 2012 6:27 PM

Mar 2011
good ep, i do feel a bit sad for Liz though, but it's a good thing for Asuna. I'm also confused as to what the earrings mean, though it'll probably be explained next episode or something
Aug 18, 2012 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
kamikaze_1996 said:

Well. Now that makes sense. Thanks.
Aug 18, 2012 6:30 PM

Jul 2011
PirateKingz said:
Poor Liz got Asuna'd; I'm sure that must've hurt for all the Liz fans. She'll forever be in the friendzone.

The dragon could've looked a lot better (especially with all those still shots). I'll just assume they're saving their budget for later.

Kirito's new sword, the Dark Repulsor, looks pretty badass. Though, it's also amusing to realize it's made out of dragon crap.

For those that have read the LN, where did Asuna get her earrings? I don't recall Kirito giving her any. Is there any significance to it or did the anime just add that scene on a whim?

she was trying to dress well and be stylish for the person she was going to meet, liz noticed her earing and wondered the reason she left the frontline and wondered why she was polishing her equipment

she immediately figured out she wanted to look good for the person she is going to meet and most likely fancied him (womens intuition is scary i know)
Aug 18, 2012 6:31 PM
Apr 2011
Paul said:
Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...
His coat looks about the same because after getting that coat from the first boss, he found it brought him a small measure of fame (Hence, 'The Black Swordsman' in a world full of people who prolly fit that discription). Since he tried making himself known in the first place to take the heat from the former beta testers, he would aim to make himself known. But as was said, he's keeping his gear appropiately leveled while keeping the color scheme he set down in the first month.

As for why he wanted DR, discounting all the spoiler-related info, in a world like this, sword drops are probably quite rare (He used the Anneal Blade he got on the first floor for a while before upgrading) since a large number of people are wanting them. Thus, the best way to ensure an upgrade is to buy a player crafted sword (and sometimes player crafted gear is better than boss drops of equal level.). Couple that with the upgrade ability within SAO, a highly upgraded weapon can easily beat out boss-drops

Also,

Andyis said:
Aww i hoped liz would join the harem:/ looks like kirito isn't going to end up with a harem
This never was a harem. Even in the LN, it was never intended to be a harem
Aug 18, 2012 6:33 PM

Jul 2011
Arqentum said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Well. Now that makes sense. Thanks.

no problem, it's more than likely to be mentioned later on in the anime
Aug 18, 2012 6:36 PM

Jul 2011
even the author mentions this wasn't intended to be a harem, he even deeply apologized for introducing too many female characters and said that he would get more males in
Aug 18, 2012 6:47 PM

Jul 2012
İ like that dragon. I don't why but fight scenes reminds me pokemon. I know sound like stupid but dragon attacks looks like an ice beam and gust...
Aug 18, 2012 6:57 PM

Jan 2012
They skipped out on

Guess they want to reveal it all in one go.
Aug 18, 2012 6:59 PM
Apr 2011
Chrischunn said:
They skipped out on

Guess they want to reveal it all in one go.

I'm glad they did. The volume 1 reveal was far better than this side story. All I'm sayin'. I would've been so pissed if they ruined the reveal in this episode xD
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

31 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Mar 22, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1444 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 16, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 15, 2012

902 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 16, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2012

641 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 16, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

944 by stenagaluh »»
Mar 14, 9:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.