Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 18, 2012 1:17 AM
Nov 2008
Very pleasant and full of open-minded discussion wherein which all interests are embraced and actively encouraged to be brought up, for the purpose of educating other users and making new friends.
Aug 18, 2012 1:24 AM

Apr 2012
Onibokusu said:
Very pleasant and full of open-minded discussion wherein which all interests are embraced and actively encouraged to be brought up, for the purpose of educating other users and making new friends.

They sometimes are closed minded and no interest is embraced and actively encouraged to be brought up, and they don't educate anybody and hate on people.

But I mean it's not that good.

/opposite day

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 18, 2012 1:26 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:

They sometimes are closed minded and no interest is embraced and actively encouraged to be brought up, and they don't educate anybody and hate on people.

/opposite day

You just said it was great.
Aug 18, 2012 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:

/opposite day

I was trying to tell you that you sometimes exaggerate, and there sometimes are nice discussions. There's a closed group of MAL stalkers that actually have an open mind and I think you can see them every day (I won't even mention names, HEHE it's that easy).

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
Immahnoob said:

SergioSource said:
Post-Josh said:
It could be worse.

Nah, it's not bad. I mean, I'm here, it's obviously enough to make this community thrive and look good.

But why of course
Aug 18, 2012 1:48 AM

Apr 2012
SergioSource said:
Immahnoob said:

SergioSource said:
Post-Josh said:
It could be worse.

Nah, it's not bad. I mean, I'm here, it's obviously enough to make this community thrive and look good.

But why of course

I mean, what else is good in this community, except for me?

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 1:52 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:

/opposite day

I was trying to tell you that you sometimes exaggerate, and there sometimes are nice discussions. There's a closed group of MAL stalkers that actually have an open mind and I think you can see them every day (I won't even mention names, HEHE it's that easy).

I was playing on your 'opposite day' closing tag, retard.
Aug 18, 2012 1:56 AM

Apr 2012
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:

/opposite day

It's obvious that I added /opposite day to make people know it's opposite day.

And also, there is no need to be upset.

/normal day

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 1:57 AM

Nov 2011
I'd say the community is decent. Lots of great members but of course we've our bad members as well. We got a pretty odd mix. In one thread we got people trolling and being humorous while at the same time we got guys debating trying to be intellectual, serious and what-not.

We got some guys that are pretty sensitive on certain topics and seem to go way over the top as well. Man it seems like in every thread someone makes a new enemy. However I'd say it's a overall good community. Maybe...

I LOVE ALL OF YOU.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Aug 18, 2012 1:59 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:

/opposite day

It's obvious that I added /opposite day to make people know it's opposite day.

And also, there is no need to be upset.

/normal day

>there is no need to be upset

Christ, it's like I'm on Reddit. How horrifying. You can't tell an obvious direct insult from being upset.
Aug 18, 2012 2:01 AM

Apr 2012
4chan, 9gag, whatever.

You're overreacting, that's all.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 2:06 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
4chan, 9gag, whatever.

This, here, is the MAL Community. Where anything more than 'k, cool'' is overreacting.
Aug 18, 2012 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
4chan, 9gag, whatever.

This, here, is the MAL Community. Where anything more than 'k, cool'' is overreacting.

This, here, is Onibokusu. He isn't part of any community. He thinks he's special. But he overreacts.

I don't remember insulting you in any way, I don't see why you had to go on the Insult Zone so fast without me even saying much.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 2:14 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
4chan, 9gag, whatever.

This, here, is Onibokusu. He isn't part of any community. He thinks he's special. But he overreacts.

I don't remember insulting you in any way, I don't see why you had to go on the Insult Zone so fast without me even saying much.

Horrifying.
Aug 18, 2012 2:16 AM

Apr 2012
Stupid.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 2:18 AM
Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
Stupid.
Aug 18, 2012 2:18 AM

Apr 2012
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Stupid.

*Bows*
Onibokusu said:
Immahnoob said:
Stupid.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 7:17 AM

Jun 2008
Narmy said:
The moderation sucks, but otherwise it's alright.

This, because I see lots of one word (sometimes there's only a quote... o.o°) and OT posts. Which are annoying as well, they post some random pictures or YT videos which are not related to the topic and think it's funny. =_=

Paul said:
People need to learn to use the search function, or google. Specifically the new people.

And this of course...
Aug 18, 2012 7:19 AM

Jul 2011
What I think about MAL community... hmm I like it <3

So many different types of persons and so many different ways to think :D

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 18, 2012 7:21 AM
Jun 2012
not bad, the community is pretty good. the traffic is fast too.

if i were to rate this community, it would be a 8/10
Aug 18, 2012 7:32 AM

Mar 2012
I like it, it's the only forum I've regular visited in along time.

However I have some issues with the site itself. The "Anime Discussion" forum is a mess with a billion page posts which are just totally and utterly stupid and meaningless since no discussion will ever happen in threads that large.

The moderation (as previous mentioned) just sucks, some of the threads they've moved to Casual Chat never belonged there and it was a stupid decision to move them.

Nobody reads Casual Chat so eveytime a thread is moved there, it dies.

I like the diversity of the site most forums I ever visited were often either very male dominated or very female dominated (depending on what the site was about) whereas I find that on here there is a lot more diversity in this regard.

Ontop of there being a lot of people from different countries too.

One issue I have with the community is this ridiculous "un-human"ness that some people like to spread, whenever there is even a remotely "moral" thread on the forums, you know specific people are going to pick whatever option is the "least human" (for lack of a better way to describe it).

Other than that, I like most of the people here, I don't hate anyone, although I wish some people maybe acted a bit differently sometimes.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 18, 2012 7:42 AM
Mar 2012
@NicoleB *sigh* I think they are just being pro-realists.
Aug 18, 2012 7:45 AM

Mar 2012
Yes...that's a word being spread around a lot right now.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 18, 2012 8:02 AM

Jun 2012
Immahnoob said:
Shuhan said:
I hate everyone, myself included.

You're an angel ready to sacrifice itself for Humanity.

Hehe
Aug 18, 2012 8:35 AM

Apr 2012
NicoleB said:
Yes...that's a word being spread around a lot right now.

Because it's true, you're too idealistic thus become biased after a few comments.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 12:49 PM

Jun 2012
Honestly, regarding the global age I'll say it's better than most community. Need more humour eventually.
Good diversity in location and rather young. Good to notice age finally don't makes someone more intelligent or mature...
I had my favourite user quickly. I'm not trolled enough however...

Stupid thread are deleted or locked before it can become funny :/

Edit : Also wasting my time stalking this stuff, but it'll pass in a few month.
HapaxAug 18, 2012 1:06 PM

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 18, 2012 12:56 PM

Jul 2010
the game discussion is full of trolls and ps3/pc users.

Aug 18, 2012 2:59 PM

Jan 2011
MAL?
The most easy going and liberal community ever. :)
Unleashing the beast within me just reached a whole new level.
Aug 18, 2012 3:43 PM

Aug 2011
I like it, this is probably the only forum I joined that I actually like. Of course not everything is rainbows and sparkles. I've seen a lot of hate and trolling but that's to be expected with a site like this...or any site for that matter. I haven't actually been in an actual "discussion" before (I mainly post my thoughts and leave) but I like to see what others have to talk about. :) Most users on here always seem to make my day, I just love some of their humor.

There are some things I wish were different on here, but then I remember that it's because of those things that make me want to log back in.

Aug 18, 2012 3:58 PM

Dec 2011
Love it.
Aug 18, 2012 4:12 PM
Jul 2012
I love this place, even the people i hate
Aug 18, 2012 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Regicide said:

mention me, im your friend
Regicide
Happy?
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Aug 18, 2012 6:26 PM
Nov 2008
Lots of obviously new people here.
Aug 18, 2012 6:39 PM

Jan 2012
too much estrogens imo..
Aug 18, 2012 7:22 PM

Jan 2008
I remember 2 or so years ago people were saying that MALs forums were one of the most unfriendly forums they had been to.

MALs forums are fine as long as the topics aren't about religion(specifically christianity), America, and politics.
Aug 18, 2012 9:53 PM
Aug 2012
Really great forums.. Just as long as internet trolls are gone.. and those people who are narrow minded and can't be discussed to are gone. Basically I'm saying.. can there be a place on the internet where you can actually have an intellectual discussion, one where both parties can be persuaded/argued upon? Not to be like "K. cool. umadbro?" That's not really a great response, I tend to ignore those people.. but it seems like the internet is becoming swarmed with it.

I miss the old days of the internet.. where only intellectual people were able to work IRC's and forums were smaller communities and had more strict moderation.

Although MAL has a very good community in the sense where.. if you discuss anime, you will often get positive feedback instead of "Ew. You suck.". Just from what I've read so far, although I have seen some rude folk.
inb4trolled.
Aug 19, 2012 1:13 AM

Jun 2011
It has it's ups and downs, just like any other Internet community.
Aug 19, 2012 3:21 AM

Jul 2011
Ragix said:

I LOVE ALL OF YOU.

Knowing you love me....well...I just get so emotional just thinking about it. Man, teary eyed, thanks man, it's good to know someone out there care.

On a more serious note, there are some users whose opinions I respect, but for the most part I just view the forums as a low quality form of entertainment with repeating topics. But I can say this, you hear everything if you stick around long enough. From conspiracy theorists, to future "alien guys", to radicals, religious nuts...err "believers", and so on. You get a little bit of everything.

Aug 19, 2012 11:10 AM

Jun 2010
The community is alright but the orgies are great.
Aug 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Sep 2009
The MAL community is complex in structure, but can be broadly defined as a number of social classes which compete and co-operate with one another for dominance, both socially (popular opinion) and politically (real power).

There is a ruling class known as the 'moderators' who exert absolute authority over the people, in accordance with a written constitution known as the 'Rules'. However the ruling classes, in spite of their power, do not have much presence in the forum and for the most part are known only in name by all but those who have been involved in MAL for many years, or have been bold enough to frequent its IRC channel.

Below the Oligarchs of the moderation team are the 'MALocrats' which exist in a role similar to the Aristocracy of England in the early twentieth century to the post-war period. Some members of this group have or have had some political power -perhaps as anime or manga moderators- while others have had no such official capacity but are well known to the rest of the community. This group makes up the driving force of MAL as a sociological mechanism and produce the majority of the posts; although paradoxically very few of its topics. The reasons for this are inherent in its mechanism, because regulars tend to be aware of the rules, particularly the rule which forbids posting clone topics, and regulars know when something has been discussed already and do not bother to post it again.

The production of new topics are the trolletarian class and the serf class. The trolletariat produce topics for the sole purpose of aggravating the MALocracy. They react against the established mechanism and revolt against it, by being revolting. While some are swayed by their anarchistic ways the majority of the MALocrats and the Moderators are sensible enough to identify such practices quickly and march in to quell the rebellion before it can be allowed to get out of hand. The members of the trolletariat often follow up with accusations of 'fascism' and 'authoritarian leadership' but the majority usually express indifference or even appraisal for the ruling class in these circumstances.

Finally we have the Serf class, and these are identifiable by the poor quality topics which they produce. These normally involve asking stupid questions, posting things in the wrong subforum, posting topics which have been covered countless times before and saying nothing new about them, or making the bold assumption that anyone here gives a damn about their problems. While such behaviour is tolerated by the ruling classes far more than that of the trolletariat, among the MALocrats the Serf class is often held with even greater disdain. The contamination of the General Discussion subforum with the underclasses creates a Marxian-style 'Class Struggle' which goes between helpful suggestions to inflammatory words- and at this stage the ruling class will even turn on the MALocrats in an attempt to return public order.

Of course one of the key concerns of MAL sociologists is where this struggle will eventually lead, and there are several conflicting opinions on this. Personally I expect the MALocracy to echo the Bolshevik revolution of Russia; eventually the Serf and the trolletarian classes will seize power and oust the MALocracy. This will lead to a period of conflict between the two as the Serfs gradually develop into another MALocracy, while the trolletariat will continue to exist in occassional outburts and coups. A state of 'perpetual revolution' as described by Trotsky, gradually the Serf and NeoMALocrat classes will devolve into a singular entity- the 'Trolluminati'.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Aug 19, 2012 12:20 PM

Jun 2012
AnnoKano said:
*stuff*

i wonder how much time you wasted writing that
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 19, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2008
Right.

Aug 19, 2012 12:27 PM

Sep 2009
Regicide said:
AnnoKano said:
*stuff*

Less than you did writing your response to it.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Aug 19, 2012 12:36 PM

Dec 2011
The "Newer" community need to build more general awareness and better adapt to the norm of the harsh "MAL environment".

I suggest either watching one of my fantastic movies or READ/THINK BEFORE POSTING.
Aug 19, 2012 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
AnnoKano said:
-Snip-

This was a very interesting read. Although, when you take the time to post all of your posts are interesting. Out of curiosity, a year or so back someone wrote a post similar to this however it was about how catching friends on mal was like being a pokemon trainer...was that one you are well?

On topic, the community here is interesting. I would have told you when I joined that the community was generally unlikable and that everyone was really harsh on everyone. So either times have changed or perhaps I am no longer phased by what people say.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 19, 2012 12:42 PM

Dec 2008
Regicide said:
AnnoKano said:
*stuff*

Doesn't matter. I had a good laugh reading that, it was a well-written, humorous, and I dare say almost scholarly post. Does no-one else have a sense of humour? Surely I can't be this special.
Aug 19, 2012 12:47 PM

Sep 2009
JackieChan said:
The "Newer" community need to build more general awareness and better adapt to the norm of the harsh "MAL environment".

I suggest either watching one of my fantastic movies or READ/THINK BEFORE POSTING.

I lament the fact that the internet still does not have a website where I can catalogue all the Jackie Chan movies I have watched. It is a travesty!

Suzune-chan said:
AnnoKano said:
-Snip-

This was a very interesting read. Although, when you take the time to post all of your posts are interesting. Out of curiosity, a year or so back someone wrote a post similar to this however it was about how catching friends on mal was like being a pokemon trainer...was that one you are well?

Thank you and nope, it must have been someone else.

Allecto said:
Regicide said:
AnnoKano said:
*stuff*

Doesn't matter. I had a good laugh reading that, it was a well-written, humorous, and I dare say almost scholarly post. Does no-one else have a sense of humour? Surely I can't be this special.

I am a gentleman and a scholar.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Aug 19, 2012 12:48 PM

Mar 2012
Anno is a gentleman and a scholar, anyone who says otherwise is a right git.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 19, 2012 12:51 PM

Dec 2011
AnnoKano said:
I lament the fact that the internet still does not have a website where I can catalogue all the Jackie Chan movies I have watched. It is a travesty!

It is truly terrible.

I'm sure we can all get along and fix this community if we all sit down, crack a beer, get some food, and watch me kick ass.
Aug 19, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2012
I agree with the above wholeheartedly.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.